Forum Settings
Forums

Family-friendly anime? (As in, for a family that isn't really into anime)

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 23, 2017 1:31 PM

Oct 2016
Thank you, @CatSoul, @Clebardman, and @DarkShadowBlade, and thank you again, @SeijiSensei! :)

Dub or sub doesn't necessarily matter. I was thinking it'd be nice to have both, and judging from the large amount of responses I've received, that probably won't be an issue. ;)
set made by Ale, circa 2016
Feb 23, 2017 1:34 PM

Jun 2015
My good man, there's nothing more family-friendly than Requiem from the Darkness.
Feb 23, 2017 2:21 PM

May 2015
I would like to recommend Zatch Bell. Don't let the art style fool you. It may look childish, but the anime covers some pretty serious topics, specifically something that I would like to call "Pseudo-death". It has an intelligent-yet-hilarious protagonist as well as a strong female character to compliment him. There is a large cast of characters that are of various ages. The action scenes are identical to Pokemon, which should appeal to your younger brothers. The emotional backstories and Pseudo-deaths that occur in the series should appeal to the older members of the family. It covers the genres you ask for except for sci-fi and romance (though there is a bit of a tease with romance). If you can tolerate the violence in Pokemon, then Zatch Bell's violence should be ok. Don't worry about horror. As for Ecchi? Well...there is one character that may be pushing it because of her body as well as her name, but she doesn't appear much, like 5 or so episodes.

Now the issue is Dub vs. Sub. In the dub, many things were censored like blood, (male) nudity, and language. One song in particular had to be re-written for the dub because of its "subject matter". I am not sure if they censored the character that I mentioned above though. My big issue with the dub is that they made some of the best characters in the anime sound...terrible. But I guess you'll have to stick to the dub since you're going for the more family-oriented selection.
Feb 24, 2017 2:47 AM

Sep 2016
Trapp Ikka Monogatari (Watched this with my family)
Barakamon (Watched this with my family)
Usagi Drop
Ashita no Joe (Watched this with my family)
Ie Naki Ko Remi
Shoukoujo Sara
Katekyo Hitman Reborn! (Watched this with my family, almost)
Les Misérables: Shoujo Cosette (Watched this with my family, almost)
Mirai Shounen Conan (My parents watched this when they were teenagers, and we rewatched together two times maybe, it's really nice)
Feb 24, 2017 7:34 PM

Oct 2016
Thank you, @Tarotist and @Asadiq21! :)
Feb 25, 2017 2:01 AM

Sep 2016
Welcome!
Tell me if you liked it or not after watching it!
Feb 25, 2017 11:54 AM

Oct 2016
Asadiq21 said:
Welcome!
Tell me if you liked it or not after watching it!

Okay! Actually, most of your suggestions look right up our ally, so thank you! :)
Feb 25, 2017 4:54 PM
Jun 2014
Looks like you're looking for some gateway anime that mixes western themes with Japanese animation:

Sci-fi & Action:
PsychoPass - Extremely similar to the movie Minority Report but with much deeper themes and a more profound message.

Comedy:
Little Witch Academia - Extremely light-hearted and an easy watch that is somewhat similar to Harry Potter except it takes place in an all-girls magical academy, and has a lot more comedy

Fantasy:
Nagi no Asukara - A romance/coming-of-age story about a group of kids who live beneath the sea but still interact with humans living on land. It is a breathtaking visual spectacle and is the most Disney-like anime series I have ever seen.
Feb 25, 2017 5:03 PM

Oct 2016
Thank you, @Demidude! :)
Feb 26, 2017 12:51 AM
Oct 2016
Try Akame Ga Kill, Hunter x Hunter 2011, Angel Beats, anything minus ecchi and overboard cussing ig.

it has to be a "gateway" to introduce them to the endless world of anime. so that anime for me and countless others would be Akame Ga Kill, and the infamous Sword Art Online.

Feb 26, 2017 1:06 AM

Aug 2016
Movies seem rather appropriate for families...
Feb 26, 2017 10:52 AM

Oct 2016
Thank you, @hope-kibou and @Korrupt! :)

EVIL SPOILER TAG!!! (I was forewarned. :p)
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» An anime that's impossible to hate

AnimeDownUnder - Apr 4

23 by Skuletor »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Pick the best one for me.

phantom346 - Apr 12

8 by mo_lave »»
5 hours ago

» Looking for any recommendations really

TabonyBoy - Yesterday

6 by PlasticRobot »»
8 hours ago

» Versus is surprisingly interesting, any other manga, manhwa, or anime with similar content?

aLotQuestion_ - 8 hours ago

0 by aLotQuestion_ »»
8 hours ago

» On my way to the depths.... (1)

monke_guy - Apr 15

4 by monke_guy »»
Today, 6:23 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.