Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 17, 2017 8:05 AM
Jul 2018
i saw a lot of people rank animes right after only one episode was released and i found it weird how they rated an whole anime based on one episode
so i was wondering when do you rate animes?

sorry for bad english and sorry if this topic was made before
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 17, 2017 8:10 AM

Jun 2013
I don't understand how anyone can rate the quality of a show before they even finish it...

anime list
manga list
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
APC
Anime Advocates
Feb 17, 2017 8:12 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
after i get a boner or fap to it

WHY IS THAT NOT AN OPTION??????
Feb 17, 2017 8:13 AM

Jul 2016
Usually after... unless I decide to drop it :p

Sep 2015
Sometimes after 1st ep, sometimes only after completion. Probably the most accurate would be to say "when I feel like I can rate it"
Jul 2018
EcchiLordMamster said:

you must be enjoying Kuzu no Honkai lol
Feb 17, 2017 8:14 AM
Aug 2016
Well if you're halfway through a series and it's too slow/the plot drags/it's not what you expected, then it's totally understandable.

If you give up on an anime after only 1 episode, you're a schmuck.
Feb 17, 2017 8:16 AM

Sep 2012
blixie said:
I don't understand how anyone can rate the quality of a show before they even finish it...

I too will never understand this but I guess some of them updates every episode so that's something.

Jun 2016
I rate when I'm not gonna watch another episode.
That could mean completed, as there won't be another episode.
That could mean at the very moment I drop it.

Something on my watching or on-hold will not be rated.
Sep 2016
I always rank my anime after I finish but I also understand that some people like to rank the show as they watch. Who knows, it might be a priority ranking of sorts for some people if they like to watch multiple shows at once. Sometimes I also rate an entire show by a couple of episodes if it's so bad that I drop it.

Well, this is just my two cents on the matter. Other people probably have better answers.
Feb 17, 2017 8:25 AM

Feb 2016
There's no difference as long as you don't drop it and leave it with that score.
You might give it 10 and then gradually reduce it to 4 for example, or you can directly rate it at 4 after you finish the last episode. It's the same.

I personally rate shortly after I finish it when I have more clear mind while thinking about everything that I liked.
Feb 17, 2017 8:26 AM

Apr 2016
i usually rate it late after i finished the whole episode.

Fools set the rules in this world. Just take a look
around. It's undeniable.
Noctis

Feb 17, 2017 8:34 AM

Dec 2015
Usually after 1/3 or half (this for anime with a lot of episodes)... but its depends cause sometimes I really need to finish as well then I could rate... I think, if its less interesting then I will put the score faster...

Since I rate with 1-5 scoring using 6-10 numbers, if that anime that I watch have a tendency to turn out something lower than my basic scoring even after episode 1 like for example I dont find something interesting in it or any other reason then I wont give any rate and drop it.
EufieFeb 17, 2017 8:43 AM
"It’s so ri-ri-diculous that I h-hope you understand even if I st-st-stutter, my t-t-talking ability is a little lacking
Still I wanted to at least s-speak co-co-correctly but my mouth keeps getting c-c-crooked because I lo-lo-love it so much, love it so mu-much "

[signature]
Feb 17, 2017 8:39 AM

Oct 2015
after completing it as i wont be sure how the story will develope
Feb 17, 2017 8:39 AM

Jun 2008
I wait until i've completed.
Unless it's something i enjoy so much that i know that i will give it a 10, because then i give it a 10 around the halfway point.
Feb 17, 2017 8:43 AM

Mar 2015
Usually after completing or dropping it.
Feb 17, 2017 8:45 AM

Oct 2015
Usually after a few episodes, and if I drop it before then I just pretend I never saw it.
Feb 17, 2017 8:45 AM

Feb 2016
I rate when I get halfway then when I've completed, if my feeling about my rating has changed then I'll update it.

So I might give it a 7, finish it, and decide to give a 8 instead.

“Don’t just mindlessly judge people as you please.” – Rin Okumura
“Your past shouldn’t stop you from achieving your goals and dreams.” – Rin Okumura
Feb 17, 2017 8:53 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
kpopluv1 said:
EcchiLordMamster said:

you must be enjoying Kuzu no Honkai lol

i am but i don't like the fanservice as much as i do the other shows
Feb 17, 2017 8:55 AM

Mar 2015
In my case if I've watched over 60% of an anime (8/12, 15/24 ) I consider it eligible for a rating. Since by that point I have a good enough idea of where it's going. Still, there are shows I hold off on until they're completed because I can't decide on a rating before the finale.
The final rating after I complete an anime is subject to change, of course, but that doesn't happen often for me.

I'm not counting long-runners like Bleach, Naruto, etc. for obvious reasons.
Feb 17, 2017 9:04 AM

Feb 2016
Usually after like 3 episodes but its always when I feel im able to rate it, sometimes I dont rate at all cause I dont know how.

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Feb 17, 2017 9:04 AM

Jan 2013
I rate it when I feel like I've seen enough to be able to give it a score. Sometimes I rate after 1-2 episodes, sometimes I finish the anime and I have no idea how to score it. If I rate before finishing, it obviously isn't the final score. It means that this is the score it is going to get if it keeps the current level. It can change for better or for worse as the story unfolds. I sometimes also score dropped anime if the part I've seen fits my rating criteria. If it doesn't, I leave it unscored. Rating dropped anime can also help me to remember what I thought about the anime when I was watching it. If it annoyed me enough to make me score it 1-3 after a couple of episodes, there is 0 chances I'm going to give it another chance. If I didn't rate it or rated it 5 or above, there are some slight chances I'll give it another try after a couple of years maybe.
fuyukiFeb 17, 2017 10:10 AM
Feb 17, 2017 9:24 AM

Feb 2010
hey, another one of these threads. A part in me dies every time I see these topics. The part that still believes that people can think for themselves and figure out basic shit without me having to guide them. But to anyone who still claims being unable to understand why people start rating stuff as soon as they've started it I'll gladly repost one of my previous posts on this topic. It refers to ranting because that's what happened back then, but you can substitute that with 'wondering' or 'complaining'.

Before people on MAL whined about people rating anime before they have finished I never would have thought of not giving my temporary opinion a rating after however many episodes of a show I've seen so far. It's not like people don't form opinions as they go so I see no reason not to reflect those opinions with a rating. Thinking that you don't have any opinion whatsoever until you've seen the last episode of a show seems absurd to me. And as long as you have an opinion, you have a rating as far as I'm concerned.

I still find it disturbing how often this topic comes up. It's the most normal thing to do. Do people really don't posess the mental capacity to find that out by themselves or is it always just some butthurt reaction from someone who saw someone rate a show they like low? I'd understand it if people actually didn't think about what they're saying and just wanted to rant but I legitimately can't fathom why anyone would see it as unfathomable to have an opinion before an anime ends. The most obvious example to show how ridiculous that stance is, is that according to this logic I should be unable to form a valid opinion about One Piece after watching it for 15 years because it still hasn't finished. But it's the same principle for shorter shows as well. Scores represent opinions at a given point in time, but it doesn't matter when that point in time is.

You people are fooling yourselves if you really think you're not making judgments from the minute you start a show. That shows a severe lack of self-awareness. And if you're scared to express your opinions just because a show hasn't finished airing I'm not sure how to reply. That's not normal levels of anxiety, coming from someone with experience.
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 17, 2017 9:28 AM

Dec 2016
well everyone has it's own way of rating for example i always rate when i finish 50% of the anime (my expections) and re-rate when i finish the anime ;)

Feb 17, 2017 10:08 AM

Jun 2012
I don't even rate the anime I watch, MAL is just a way for me to keep track of what I've seen & that's it.
Feb 17, 2017 10:09 AM

May 2016
I rate animes usually when I complete them, unless the first episode was so shitty that I drop. In that case, I just give a bad mark
Feb 17, 2017 10:16 AM

Sep 2014
When I am done with them. Be it dropping, putting on-hold or completing.
Sometimes I might rate them when I'm still watching, especially in case of long series, but that rarely happens.
Feb 17, 2017 10:21 AM

Apr 2015
Whenever I feel like it. It can be on the first episode, after dropping it or putting on hold.
Feb 17, 2017 10:31 AM

Apr 2015
I rate after the first episode, based on that episode.

I rate 23 episodes of a 26 episode series based on those 23 episodes.
etc, etc.

If you waited until something ended before rating it, all these incomplete adaptations would never get rated.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Feb 17, 2017 10:40 AM
Jul 2018
Usually I would rate a show after 3 episodes at the moment (this means maybe more of an initial impression of the show) or depending on the circumstances of said show. If I have a mixed reception with it, I don't rate it yet, or rather conflicted on what I actually think about it.

I don't rate stuff that I dropped (unless I am wrong since I can pretty much have a show still with a score but I need to check that).
Feb 17, 2017 10:41 AM

Jan 2016
I never rate an anime until several days after I've finished it. I need time to reflect on how much I enjoyed it in order to decide what to rate it.
Feb 17, 2017 10:59 AM

Oct 2014
When I saw this thread I was thinking "right after I watch it, duh" as you had some assumption people would be allowing the events to linger in their minds for a couple weeks before making their decision on what the anime should be rated. I never rate anime when I start them because I'm usually wrong about what I should actually rate it. Longer anime I might rate once I've gotten a fair portion through, but a 12 episode series can change quite a lot in the last 6 episodes and there's no need to be hasty about rating it. Sometimes my ratings will change up to 3 full points above or below my guess at the beginning so it's not very accurate to rate early.
Feb 17, 2017 11:03 AM

Sep 2015
Well right after i finish it of course.
but i often change the score after thinking about it for a couple of days/weeks.
Feb 17, 2017 11:10 AM

Feb 2015
blixie said:

This. The only other way I've rated something before finishing it was when I dropped a show lol. The only exception for me is Shippuden, since the parent story is over, and we're just waiting for the official "finished" tag. Another exception is Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Mad. It's just too adorable to not give it an early high rating lol
Feb 17, 2017 11:15 AM

Feb 2013
After the first episode.
If it gets better I increase the original rating, if it gets worse I decrease it, it's quite simple.
Feb 18, 2017 1:58 AM

Feb 2016
I rate a anime if I completed it.Sometimes I rate even animes I didn't finished yet.But these are mostly pretty long animes.

I will not believe that everything is controlled by fate.

ll X ll
Feb 18, 2017 2:02 AM

Dec 2015
When I feel like it. But usually I rate after 1 episode because I can.
Feb 18, 2017 2:08 AM

Mar 2016
Umm...You can always change the rating, so what's wrong?
Feb 18, 2017 2:18 AM

May 2015
When I upload my list. If I binge watch the show then I rate when I complete it, if I watch weekly than after the first episode.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 18, 2017 2:23 AM

Apr 2015
Whenever i feel like, duh pls OP....
Feb 18, 2017 2:23 AM

Oct 2015
Never, except...there is someone or are people who asked me. Why? Because, I'm not sure how to rate any anime. I simply respect the current score that rated by anyone. If the current score is good according to myself, then I'll watch (anime) or read (manga) it.
C1924Feb 22, 2017 1:35 AM
Feb 18, 2017 2:32 AM

Apr 2016
I rate just like MAL's rule : when 20% of the show is finished. Sometimes i wait 'till the end for final verdict, sometimes i wait 'till the right moment after the 20% rule is passed.
Feb 18, 2017 2:39 AM

Jun 2015
After completing. I find updating my profile to be tedious so I just add titles in one fell swoop, so the scores are added the same time I add the titles themselves.
Feb 18, 2017 2:39 AM

Sep 2013
I usually start an anime by watching 3-4 episodes after which I will rate as a first impression based on those first few episode. Might change as I watch if it gets better or worse. Once am done I will then decide what the final rating is, meaning whether it keeps what it currently has or not.
"I am a single bullet. It has no heart. Therefore, it does not think. It just flies straight towards its target"
Feb 18, 2017 2:47 AM

Mar 2016
i saw a lot of people rank animes right after only one episode was released and i found it weird how they rated an whole anime based on one episode

Instead of interpret people's rating that way, why not interpret it this way, "it's his opinion based on the episodes he watched, not the show as a whole" ?

OT: I rate a show whenever I feel like.
Well, it doesn't really matter whenever I rate it, because in the end I will rethink them after finishing the show anyway.
"People who don't see that anime has changed are either wearing "glasses" or watching only a certain type (and or era) of anime"
"Having a low mean score doesn't necessarily mean one doesn't enjoy anime. Rating system is not a school grading system."
"Elitist is people who think he is superior than others. Not necessarily ones who insulting/critisizing your favorite anime or people who enjoy a certain type of anime"
"Fanboy is people who translating "your favorite anime is shit" into "you are shit".
"Being a fanboy is an indication of elitism"
Feb 18, 2017 3:02 AM

Feb 2015
I'll rate it after the first episode.

If I liked the first episode: 7+
If I thought it was meh: 5-6, try out a few more episodes to see if it's worth continuing.
If I thought it was bad: -4 and drop it.
Feb 18, 2017 3:08 AM

May 2015
I always start rating them after 3 episodes and see how it progresses
Feb 18, 2017 3:30 AM
Nov 2010
kpopluv1 said:

If they watched one episode and gave it a rating, usually it is that they rated that one episode. People form opinions on what they watch all the time.

I mostly rate after I don't think I'll change the rating much after that.
Feb 18, 2017 3:43 AM

Jan 2016
I prefer to develop a full opinion on an anime so I will complete it before I give it a final rating... although I may go back and change the rating after I reflect at some moment.
Feb 18, 2017 8:12 AM

Mar 2016
I rated anime when I finished watched it.
Forum set made by Sereshay

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Anime and Time Management

LenRea - 47 minutes ago

7 by Serafos »»
21 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you tend to watch newer seasonal shows, or older shows?

Akuya - 8 hours ago

33 by SparksOfSerenity »»
23 minutes ago

Poll: » has the majority of people (here) seen the big 3 ? ( 1 2 3 )

ame - Apr 16

134 by Fluffygreygrass »»
24 minutes ago

» angry sub only users ( 1 2 )

Yorda_trico - Apr 15

94 by Lawgun »»
45 minutes ago

» thoughts on Chinese anime? ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ryo-san - Mar 6, 2022

215 by LostSpectre »»
46 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.