Forum Settings
Forums
Feb 16, 7:10 PM

What are your thoughts on abridged anime?

In a way it's pretty much just a fandub, but usually the goal is to add some humor to the series. I used to watch a lot of abridged anime back in the day. I don't find most of them funny, cause its usually tied to a lot of referential humor and kind of cheesy humor or "dad jokes". I tend to like my humor more stupid in your face. Yu-gi-Oh is probably the most popular one, but the DBZ abridged team fourstar is pretty well-known too.

My personal favorites are Berserk Abridged and Gantz Abridged and Dragon D*bs (IMO better than Team Fourstar) It's kind of sad that not that many abridged series are made these days.

So yeah do you guys watch any abridged anime? What do you think about these fandubs? Have you ever made any abridged fandubs? What are some of your favorite abridged series?

A few of my favorite abridged anime

Modified by LoneWolf, Feb 16, 8:22 PM

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Feb 16, 7:59 PM

inb4 listing lock

I liked the FMP!, yugioh, and SAO abridged ones but those are classics anyways.

Feb 16, 8:02 PM

Unless it's "50% Off" Its unwatchable.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Feb 16, 8:15 PM

OppaiSugoi said:
inb4 listing lock

I liked the FMP!, yugioh, and SAO abridged ones but those are classics anyways.

It will get a listing lock if all people do is list abridged series.
I'm asking about your opinion on them.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Feb 16, 11:11 PM

Tbh, the only abridged anime series I was ever able to actually enjoy was Sailor Moon Abridged. I think I actually feel like I can remember the abridged more than the actual series LOL

And like I rewatched Digimon Tamers pretty recently, and with all the humor added into the dub it felt like an abridged series ngl

Otherwise, I feel like sometimes abridged series are hit or miss. But more in the sense of it's either a bullseye or the arrow doesn't even make it to the target
Modified by Kakaomon, Feb 16, 11:16 PM

Feb 16, 11:25 PM

There was this chrome shelled abridged episode I came across awhile ago, it was fucking hilarious.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Feb 17, 1:18 AM

Dragon ball and yugioh abridged are basically the only two I am actively following. I like them because of that nostalgia effect and because of the opportunity to laugh at the absurdities I noticed mainly in hindsight.

cause its usually tied to a lot of referential humor
I guess that's the point of being an abridged series so I don't mind it at all, on the contrary I watch them mainly for the referential humour.
Modified by zal, Feb 17, 1:21 AM

Feb 17, 3:30 AM

Actually, have you guys seen Ghost Stories?

It's not even technically an abridged, but it definitely feels like it HAHA. I think it's fricken hilarious though

Feb 17, 3:36 AM

I watch them pretty rarely, but some of them are absolutely hilarious. My favorites are 50% off and Fate/Cero (too bad the latter one got cancelled).

Feb 17, 3:38 AM

Abridged versions sometimes end up being better than the original anime.

Feb 17, 3:41 AM

I think they are funny and my personal favorites are Hellsing Abridged and black lagoon abridged.

Gantz Abridged was okay.

(Black lagoon) Dark Swamp Episode 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxdnRZbYnzE
(Black lagoon) Dark Swamp Episode 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UVuK2qM7C4
(Black lagoon) Dark Swamp Episode 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIZ1WckKn4w

Hellsing Ultimate Abridged Episodes 1-3 - TeamFourStar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_4nmW5GZhQ

Feb 17, 4:50 AM

ygo is the funniest
all others i watch one or two eps and not so funny

Feb 17, 5:17 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuyxcKsFWhI&list=PLoVmS_yfgM6o2EAzq1HiylTARkh8jmbpB&index=3

Abridged is not in the title but I think it fits the category well, the DBZ movies by fourstar were also pretty funny. I overall prefer analysis than abridged series, like for example the Berserk one you listed wasnt as good for me.

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Feb 17, 5:22 AM

some are pretty good, others are just shit.

Feb 17, 5:29 AM

My favorites are the SAO abridged series and the Danganronpa abridged series

Feb 17, 5:36 AM

I really liked watching abridged anime! BTW the actual Dub of Gakkou no Kaidan "Ghost Stories" is funny as hell!! And I thought it was abridged when I started watching it xD nyahaha

Here's the link for the funny parts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxJ4VWoeOzs

Feb 17, 5:48 AM

The ones that made by team4star are awesome,at least the ones I've watched which are "hellsing ultimate"
"Dragon ball z"

Feb 17, 5:56 AM

Some are good but most seem to be made in one day by one bored guy and the jokes are really bad if there are any jokes in the first place. Team four star's DBZ is good but it's not as funny as it think it is. Yugioh Abridged was godly until episode 35-40 or something where it went awful.

Feb 17, 6:17 AM

The only ones I watch are Yu-Gi-Oh and Sword Art Online. I absolutely love them and think they're better than most actual anime. Every other one I've tried I didn't even like enough to finish an episode, though I haven't tried very many and don't really remember which ones they were.

Feb 17, 9:42 AM

So "LittleKuriboh" started this trend waaaaaay back when...I think it was about 2006?

And ever since then everyone has been trying to do the same exact shit....but it just DOESN'T work!

Here are a few reasons why...

#1 First and foremost, the whole purpose of an "abridged" series is to shorten the series....not make it endless with stupid and many times extremely cringey jokes.

#2 The reason why it worked for "LittleKuriboh" and his yugioh abridged series is because Yugioh was very easy to make fun of....for fucks sake it's about a bunch of weird looking dudes playing a trading card game for the fate of the world!

It's NOT funny when you make it about any random anime!

#3 "LittleKuriboh" was mostly making fun at the Yugioh dub....many times even placing word for word dialogue from the dub.....this is what made that series gold.

Almost every other series just tries to make bad jokes that are not relevant to the series.

Feb 17, 10:22 AM

My favourite is definitely Yu-Gi-Oh! Abridged. Though it's not the only one.

SAO Abridged is great too. Even though the show is such an easy target, they avoid petty pot shots entirely. Instead they just completely fuck with the characters and the storyline to the point where it becomes its own show. Instead of just being a random series of gags, it's become this hilarious messed up version of SAO with its own characters and a storyline that only barely follows the anime. Love or hate SAO it's worth a try.

CodeMENT is pretty fun too. The fucking soup store scene never fails to make me lose it.

Feb 17, 10:29 AM
My favourite is the Hellsing Ultimate abridged

Feb 17, 10:58 AM

I've only seen ''50% Off'', Sailor Moon Abridged and Noragami Abridged, and I enjoyed all three of them.
Help the industry and buy Blu-rays and DVD's.

Feb 17, 1:48 PM

I find the DBZ one to be a little overrated, but TeamFourStar does some good work. YGO abridged will always be my favorite due to nostalgia and it just lines up better with my humor.