Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 16, 2017 3:34 AM

Feb 2017
Hey all! As my title suggests do most anime air in 720p quality? Or is it better to choose the 1080p option if available when streaming? For extra information i am using a 32 inch full hd tv. So do i benefit more if i stream 1080p? Any helpful answers will be greatly appreciated.
Until the end of time...
Feb 16, 2017 4:03 AM

Mar 2015
IIRC, most anime just recently actually made in 720P, before that, it mostly in 480p... it's hard to find anime that made in 1080p (that not mainly CGI)... so, no, it's rarely even give you benefit.. this bound to happened because how anime being made...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Feb 16, 2017 4:07 AM

Feb 2013
I suggest you rev up some video enhancing software and go straight to 3280p for that 32 inch tv. Most anime encoders don't do this because the demand is too low to get seeded, but if you DIY you can clearly see the improve in quality.
Don't forget to also interlace it for 60fps, and 10bit flac audio (if you have the proper 10 inch speakers)
Feb 16, 2017 4:13 AM

Feb 2017
Thank you for your guidelines! Well apreciate it. Oh no im not into video enhancing but it does sound interesting thanks! Ok so mainly as i understand and of what i noticed an 1080p version on most streaming sites are just upscales?
Until the end of time...
Feb 16, 2017 4:14 AM

Apr 2014
A higher resolution is always the better choice if your internet and screen allow it.
Feb 16, 2017 4:21 AM

Nov 2011
For newer shows, unless you explicitly know how it was released, assume the best quality is 720p. Otherwise it's just an upscale rather than true 1080p.

For older shows you'll probably have to research to find out the best available quality. For most it is 480p, but interestingly enough since anime wasn't made digitally back then, many of the few true 1080p shows come from this category thanks to remastered releases.
Feb 16, 2017 4:22 AM

Feb 2017
Yes i do agree if you have the internet and the screen its just i dont know if its me but i really dont see a difference really. Maybe because most anime stream sites have just upscales and not true BD rips to actually see the difference. Please correct me if im wrong
Until the end of time...
Feb 16, 2017 4:26 AM

Nov 2011
Mikedagreat90 said:
Yes i do agree if you have the internet and the screen its just i dont know if its me but i really dont see a difference really. Maybe because most anime stream sites have just upscales and not true BD rips to actually see the difference. Please correct me if im wrong

This is correct. You may or may not notice it, but 1080p upscales actually have worse video quality than their 720p counterparts due to artifacting caused by the upscale process.

You're wasting time buffering in such cases.
Feb 16, 2017 4:27 AM
Apr 2013
Mikedagreat90 said:
Thank you for your guidelines! Well apreciate it. Oh no im not into video enhancing but it does sound interesting thanks! Ok so mainly as i understand and of what i noticed an 1080p version on most streaming sites are just upscales?

Quality wise, they are worse than that since they cut down the quality for faster streaming. Streaming 720p is good enough for majority of users.

And yes, they are upscales but some anime do receive full HD production like current KyoAni shows, Kancolle and Taboo Tattoo(not sure about this one, havent watch it yet).
Feb 16, 2017 4:28 AM

Feb 2013
Don't take that too seriously ^^"

Most 1080p versions of recent anime on streaming sites come from Crunchyroll or BD rips. There could be some TV rips for shows not on CR, and i wonder if there's a noticeable difference in quality..
Rumor has it most anime is "mastered" in 720p, and i think both the CR and BD upscales come from the anime studios themselves.

According to this discussion on reddit, the 1080p version is a "typical bilinear upscale", which i'd assume is the case for most of those shows.

Bottom line, i'd say there probably isn't any difference.
And inches and "p" are not so strongly related.

There needs to be a definitive thread about this somewhere, with examples and technical stuff and all that, but i can't find..
romagiaFeb 16, 2017 4:32 AM
Feb 16, 2017 4:33 AM

Feb 2017
Ok so streams from kissanime or mastersni if they are 1080p are probably ripped from crunchy roll or the studios themselves? Sorry for my ignorancešŸ˜­
Until the end of time...
Feb 16, 2017 4:37 AM
Apr 2013
romagia said:
Don't take that too seriously ^^"
Rumor has it most anime is "mastered" in 720p,

Generally but backgrounds are usually done in 1080 with 720 actual animation footage on top. The same goes for CGi most of the time. Whether it worth the extra space and pixels at the end, is entirely subjective.

romagia said:

According to this discussion on reddit, the 1080p version is a "typical bilinear upscale", which i'd assume is the case for most of those shows.

Figures. Considering how blurry their images are in 1080. Billinear is pretty darn cheap and fast unlike other dedicated upscalers such as NNEDI or even Spline.
worldeditor11Feb 16, 2017 4:43 AM
Feb 16, 2017 4:40 AM

Feb 2013
Mikedagreat90 said:
Ok so streams from kissanime or mastersni if they are 1080p are probably ripped from crunchy roll or the studios themselves? Sorry for my ignorancešŸ˜­
Don't worry, judging the "p" is something that even masters can continuously debate. I'd even say I'm not that well versed into it...

Yes, i think virtually all streams of new tv anime are Crunchyroll rips, with BD rips possibly coming as they are released, and I don't think streaming sites update the files as they come out. For the best quality i'd say you'd want torrents explicitly tagged as BD rips from nyaa. But how noticeable the improvement is, it's up to you and your tv. I'd still go for the most seeded one, that's oughta be good.

worldeditor11 said:
romagia said:

Figures. Considering how blurry their images are in 1080. Billinear is pretty darn cheap and fast unlike other dedicated upscalers such as NNEDI or even Spline.
Would you happen to know if bonafide BD rips have better upscaling? From my limited experience with touching BDrip torrents, I think those come in 1080p from the raw source.
romagiaFeb 16, 2017 4:43 AM
Feb 16, 2017 4:49 AM
Apr 2013
romagia said:
Would you happen to know if bonafide BD rips have better upscaling? From my limited experience with touching BDrip torrents, I think those come in 1080p from the raw source.

I don't. At least, not with certainty. Either way, it doesn't matter as those are the best quality you can get from anime. However, it is also a fact that JC Staff BDs (around 2010) were pretty horrid in 1080s so I do think the studios' post processing team play a huge role on what filters to use. Might look good enough if they are willing to put some time and effort to it though.

Unfortunately, as far as my experience with their BDMVs, their video tend to look blurry as hell.
worldeditor11Feb 16, 2017 4:55 AM
Feb 16, 2017 8:18 AM
Feb 2016
no, most anime air in the spring... duh
Feb 16, 2017 1:04 PM

Jun 2007
Most TV anime transport streams (.ts files out in the wild) are 1440x1080, but their quality is such that encoders downscale to 720p for typical releases. You probably won't notice that much difference between 720p and 1080p unless the content is from a Blu-Ray source.

romagia said:
I suggest you rev up some video enhancing software and go straight to 3280p for that 32 inch tv. Most anime encoders don't do this because the demand is too low to get seeded, but if you DIY you can clearly see the improve in quality.
Don't forget to also interlace it for 60fps, and 10bit flac audio (if you have the proper 10 inch speakers)
Top keks.
Feb 16, 2017 1:06 PM

Feb 2013
Zalis said:
Most TV anime transport streams (.ts files out in the wild) are 1440x1080, but their quality is such that encoders downscale to 720p for typical releases. You probably won't notice that much difference between 720p and 1080p unless the content is from a Blu-Ray source.

romagia said:
Top keks.
This thread reminded me... is there a specific reason why your avatar has resize artifacts?

More topics from this board

» Skibidi toilet piece (One piece story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - Today

20 by Oofmastre9000 »»
2 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 8 hours ago

20 by AverageRiceFan »»
4 minutes ago

» Attack on skibidi toilet (attack on Titan story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - 2 hours ago

3 by AverageRiceFan »»
8 minutes ago

» ā„ļø Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

196 by ISeeLifePeople »»
22 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

69 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
35 minutes ago
Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.