Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 18, 2017 4:49 AM

May 2016
lady_freyja said:
SuzuMine-chan said:
I don't even think that "boys/shonen anime" and "girls/shojo anime" even really exist... (what I mean is that, not because you're a boy you will like action or if you're a girl you will like romance)

Considering that the shōjo/shōnen distinction is a manga thing, not an anime one.

And they are publishing categories, more or less associated with a demographic. Thus theoretically the distinction between the two is only a marketing one.
In order to makes that marketing substantial, each category works tend to follow some common traits, characteristics. Because of that you can end up developing preferences toward a particular category.
But nobody is enforcing those categories into the customers, fortunately.
I agree. In reality, it's not a thing that as to be important, because it's pure marketing.
Feb 26, 2017 11:36 AM
Jul 2018
Lunarian said:
I'm a big fan of the Natsume Yuujinchou series. It took me three seasons to notice the shoujo tag lol. Didn't/doesn't bother me then nor does it now.

I thought Inuyasha would be a Shoujo all the time. XD
There's no need for it imo. I don't even like those classifications and I don't understand how they use the"gender-tags". Okay, your typical "Chick Movies" are tagged as Shoujo, but why Natsume?

I also have to agree that our society is hypocritical.
Who cares if a girl likes Shounen anime?
If you are a guy and you like girly things... ooh, you are doomed. XD
Feb 26, 2017 12:08 PM

Oct 2014
My anime experience would've been a barren wasteland without the likes of Nodame Cantabile, Maria-sama ga Miteru, Utena, Oniisama e, Kimi ni Todoke, Lovely Complex, Nana, Chihayafuru to name just a few.
Avatar: Anzu Kadotani from Girls und Panzer.

Feb 26, 2017 12:34 PM

Apr 2016
It's fine in my opinion. As long as the characters seem neutral and are not designed to be appealing for a certain sex, like Usagi Drop.
Feb 26, 2017 1:56 PM

Mar 2009
Not at all, shoujo has some great titles going for it, especially when it comes to romance or fantasy anime/manga.
Female leads are also, for the most part, way less cringy to watch. For me atleast.
Feb 26, 2017 2:09 PM

Oct 2014
yes it makes you a weirdo, but being a weirdo it's not a bad thing. Personally i like mahou shoujo animes for young girls
Feb 26, 2017 4:48 PM

Mar 2014
Shoujo anime/manga.. so particularly romance genre is something I hold pretty highly overall among the many of them created, it's one of my favorite overall genres and content produced.
Feb 26, 2017 4:57 PM

Apr 2016
I just looked shoujo anime here on MAL and yes. Yes I watch shoujo. From the looks of it, shoujo is basically my favorite type of anime.

Learn something new every day...
Man, I have to stop falling in love with fictitious high school girls'...moms!
May 1, 2017 2:09 PM

May 2015
If you're a guy and you like reading shoujo manga that's fine just do you.
It's like this almost: Just because you like girly things (like a shoujo manga) that society has deemed as girly doesn't make you any less of a man.
If you love that genre then it's perfectly fine because we all have our own preferred tastes. And you don't have to be a girl to like the shoujo genre just like you don't have to be a boy to like the shounen genre....it's all about preferred tastes.
May 1, 2017 2:33 PM
Mar 2017
If girls can watch shounen, guys can watch shoujo.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» How is anime doing in the UK these days?

VeryRedBags - 38 minutes ago

1 by MeanMrMusician »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - Apr 23

31 by BatoKusanagi »»
3 minutes ago

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - 7 hours ago

18 by MeanMrMusician »»
4 minutes ago

» Do you watch anything else besides anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 21

87 by downymaiden »»
5 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

206 by Thanatos1 »»
6 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.