Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Gabriel Dropout
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Feb 13, 2017 12:06 PM
Apr 2016
God bless, a Satania centric episode!! Christmas come early, I was laughing so hard my sides hurt!
Feb 13, 2017 1:13 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
The gun skit was absolutely hilarious.

As a 3-gatsu no Lion watcher, the shogi skit was also good xD

Vigne is a top tier artist D:

Satania cucked by dog AGAIN!
Feb 13, 2017 1:30 PM

May 2014
The gags are starting to get old, this anime is slowly letting me more and more down since it began. Started out strong, but like I said, it's getting pretty redundant with its humour. There hasn't been any development whatsoever (which can absolutely exist in shows completely focused on comedy), and there's been nothing new introduced to spice things up. (The class prez was a small edition there, so hopefully she becomes more prominent. Will only disappoint me more if she's hardly/never seen again.)

That and Raphiel is a character archetype that I've simply never been able to appreciate. Her gags are the most repetitive of the bunch, and she seems to contribute the least in terms of any progression (in what little there is).

I'd share this on the reddit discussion but I'll just get downvoted by people who can't properly use the downvote feature, so here we are. At the rate the anime is going here it's only going to get a 6 or 7 from me at best. The only good thing I can really say about it so far is the ED is nice. (Which offsets how awful the OP is.)

And I'm not someone who starts watching these kinds of shows to always be let down by them. If you see my watch history and scoring history, you'll see that his type of anime is right up my alley. So it's really saying something when even I am having a hard time enjoying this.
Feb 13, 2017 2:00 PM

Dec 2016
The best and worst of Satania in the episode. I knew straight away that Gab would get that gun one way or another.

Satania's changing facial expressions when the teacher was coming were so funny.

Loved the costume they had Gab wear.
Feb 13, 2017 2:03 PM

Jul 2016
ichii_1 said:
Satania getting rekt by gab both in the revolver gag and shogi atleast hse has th upperhand on pres :'(
The Halloween costumes a cute :)

I hope they made them figures. :3 Raphi cute af. ^^
Feb 13, 2017 2:44 PM

Jun 2011
794 said:
The gags are starting to get old, this anime is slowly letting me more and more down since it began. Started out strong, but like I said, it's getting pretty redundant with its humour. There hasn't been any development whatsoever (which can absolutely exist in shows completely focused on comedy), and there's been nothing new introduced to spice things up. (The class prez was a small edition there, so hopefully she becomes more prominent. Will only disappoint me more if she's hardly/never seen again.)

That and Raphiel is a character archetype that I've simply never been able to appreciate. Her gags are the most repetitive of the bunch, and she seems to contribute the least in terms of any progression (in what little there is).

I'd share this on the reddit discussion but I'll just get downvoted by people who can't properly use the downvote feature, so here we are. At the rate the anime is going here it's only going to get a 6 or 7 from me at best. The only good thing I can really say about it so far is the ED is nice. (Which offsets how awful the OP is.)

And I'm not someone who starts watching these kinds of shows to always be let down by them. If you see my watch history and scoring history, you'll see that his type of anime is right up my alley. So it's really saying something when even I am having a hard time enjoying this.

I dunno how you can say that when you enjoy Umaru and this is funnier. At least you're not as bad as Mr. Cross Ange fan.

Anyways, this week's ep was better on the laughter scale than last week's. Sorry Tap, maybe next time. Can't wait till they get to the Heaven and Hell arc!
I wish Cowboy Bebop never existed.
Feb 13, 2017 2:50 PM

Sep 2016
794 said:

im with u fam, still hoping to suddenly egt funny like how it need dozens of episode for gintama to start getting funny
the "joke" is way too formulaic and even the formula isn't funny to begin with (raphael annoying, satania idiot, gabirel bore fest, vigne is just not a comedy character)
the best character are bald teacher and class president. just showing how bad the main casts are.
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Feb 13, 2017 3:05 PM

May 2014
Ahegyao said:
I dunno how you can say that when you enjoy Umaru and this is funnier. At least you're not as bad as Mr. Cross Ange fan.

Umaru had some actual levels of progression as well as a steady flow of new characters, who then themselves became fleshed out and progressed. Just that point alone already puts that above this.

It's not like I said I was ruling this out, I just said if it continues on the path it's been going so far it'll be disappointing. We're halfway through the season and so far the lazy character is still lazy, the sadistic character hasn't come up with anything actually original to toy around with, and the gullible character still hasn't gained any sense from being duped so many times. Vignette is probably the flattest of them all, purely there to be the occasional voice of reason so the other 3 don't get out of hand.

I'm not saying these characters have to change like night and day. But if you're trying to rip on Umaru here, let's compare.

As I said, so far the characters on display in Gabriel DropOut have not shown even the slightest sign of anything remotely close to development happening. Also, what you or I consider "funny" or not has next to nothing to do with this. When speaking of a comedy comparison between the two, I don't remember Umaru being nearly as repetitive and redundant as Gabriel has been so far. We've seen the gag of Gabriel being lazy and blunt, we've seen the gag of Satania being gullible and shameless with Raphiel getting off on it. I'm sure we can see better character dynamics than we have thus far. Let's see Vignette actually make some progress on Gabriel, even if it ends up backfiring. Maybe we can see some scenes between Vignette and Satania talking more about what they did in Hell, since we still no nothing about it.

We still have another half-season to go, so I'm crossing my fingers that things get better. But so far it feels like we've seen 3 episodes worth of the same jokes in 6.
Feb 13, 2017 3:34 PM

Jun 2011
794 said:
Ahegyao said:

Umaru had some actual levels of progression as well as a steady flow of new characters, who then themselves became fleshed out and progressed. Just that point alone already puts that above this.

It's not like I said I was ruling this out, I just said if it continues on the path it's been going so far it'll be disappointing. We're halfway through the season and so far the lazy character is still lazy, the sadistic character hasn't come up with anything actually original to toy around with, and the gullible character still hasn't gained any sense from being duped so many times. Vignette is probably the flattest of them all, purely there to be the occasional voice of reason so the other 3 don't get out of hand.

I'm not saying these characters have to change like night and day. But if you're trying to rip on Umaru here, let's compare.

As I said, so far the characters on display in Gabriel DropOut have not shown even the slightest sign of anything remotely close to development happening. Also, what you or I consider "funny" or not has next to nothing to do with this. When speaking of a comedy comparison between the two, I don't remember Umaru being nearly as repetitive and redundant as Gabriel has been so far. We've seen the gag of Gabriel being lazy and blunt, we've seen the gag of Satania being gullible and shameless with Raphiel getting off on it. I'm sure we can see better character dynamics than we have thus far. Let's see Vignette actually make some progress on Gabriel, even if it ends up backfiring. Maybe we can see some scenes between Vignette and Satania talking more about what they did in Hell, since we still no nothing about it.

We still have another half-season to go, so I'm crossing my fingers that things get better. But so far it feels like we've seen 3 episodes worth of the same jokes in 6.

Comedy doesn't have to have "development" for itself to be funny. Osomatsu-san and Mitsudomoe had very little of that yet still keeps its comedic stride. Shows like this strive for gags first, characters second. If the main group shifts into different personalities over time, then the series changes and they won't be recognizable for what made them funny in the first place.

I've read the manga and there isn't anything of what you want that you got out of Umaru. If you're still looking for that then better cut your losses and drop this.
I wish Cowboy Bebop never existed.
Feb 13, 2017 3:42 PM

May 2014
Ahegyao said:
Comedy doesn't have to have "development" for itself to be funny. Osomatsu-san and Mitsudomoe had very little of that yet still keeps its comedic stride. Shows like this strive for gags first, characters second. If the main group shifts into different personalities over time, then the series changes and they won't be recognizable for what made them funny in the first place.

I've read the manga and there isn't anything of what you want that you got out of Umaru. If you're still looking for that then better cut your losses and drop this.

Never said it had to, but it's certainly a bonus. Besides, that was only one of my two major points, the other point being that they're re-using the same jokes and same formula over and over again so far. The characters don't necessarily need to develop if the authors mix and blend their archetypes to create new and creative gags. Put the characters into unique situations or hurdles to overcome where their set personalities can shine a little more.

Anyhow, I've said everything I've needed to say about it right now. I won't drop it, because a show has to be a 5 or below for me to consider dropping it. I'll just cross my fingers that we aren't delivered 6 more episodes of the same jokes we saw within the first 3.
Feb 13, 2017 3:54 PM

Mar 2016
Oh satania you always try but never succeed... still rooting for you girl.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 13, 2017 4:26 PM

May 2015
LOL, that drawing! I lost it XD! Also, Gabriel with the werecat costume was quite cute ;>. This episode had a lot of Satania, which made it even better XD.

Feb 13, 2017 4:37 PM

Aug 2013
Anybody catch the Code Geass reference Satania made when they were playing Shogi?
Don't believe the hype.
Feb 13, 2017 4:49 PM

Aug 2016
Starting to bother me how outright unlikable Gabriel is. I know that's part of the joke, but we're six episodes in and we've yet to see more than one point where she's actually appreciative of her friends (the other being right after the beach trip, and even that was limited). Some more, hopefully positive development would be nice.

Poor Satania though...
Feb 13, 2017 5:10 PM

Oct 2013
March Comes in Like a Dropout.

Gab shooting Satanichi was classic. Not unexpected, but still great.

The teacher is based, yet still Raphi's dog steals the special edition melon bread.
Feb 13, 2017 5:57 PM

Dec 2014
Bang. Laughter (from the gun's bullets) ensues. And she gets in trouble for it. Priceless.

Shogi being mentioned while 3-gatsu is still airing is neat I guess. And art shenanigans. Still though, in that moment (and a few others) it felt like Satania's behavior causes her to be bullied. Chuunis are very exploitable.

Cute halloween costumes too.
Feb 13, 2017 6:17 PM

Apr 2011
I swear, half the shit that happens to Satania is because of how fucking gullible she is.

GangsterCat said:
my face during this entire series episode

You know, I would understand if you were someone who didn't like to drop stuff, but you're not. So why the fuck are you still watching this if you hate it so much?
Feb 13, 2017 6:47 PM

May 2016
Gabriel personality before:

"My dream is to bring happiness to all people."

Gabriel personality after:

"Like, humanity can just go to hell and die, for all I care"

HAHAHA XD. I really miss the old Gabriel .
Feb 13, 2017 7:49 PM

Dec 2014
lol at Gabriel's merciless shot. Satania's uncontrollable laughing was extremely cute. xD
The rules were so messed up that the shogi match suddenly became a Yu-Gi-Oh match.
Melopan dog strikes again! Trick or dog. :P
Feb 13, 2017 8:33 PM

Jan 2013
Raphiel is always near Satanya because of the lols xD She knows that she will screw up ahaha
That gun, Satanya almost had her revenge.
Btw anyone noticed that Gintama reference? Hard-Boiled? xD
I thought that teacher would simply go back and close the door xD
Trick or dog xD
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Feb 13, 2017 8:34 PM

Jan 2012
794 said:

I agree. I'm actually really starting to feel "over" this show. After an episode where my favorite character is in the title too! I dunno, I just don't see things changing and I'd like this show so much more if best-girl Satania wasn't constantly forced to play the butt monkey. :( Gabriel herself feels like Tomoko from Watamote without any of her sympathetic or likeable scenes. This doesn't even come close to comparing to Umaru. I'm honestly tempted to lower my score for this a bit.
animefan8800Feb 13, 2017 8:45 PM
Feb 14, 2017 12:15 AM

Jun 2013
Raphiel is not even trollin' Satania anymore she's just being mean
Feb 14, 2017 1:22 AM

Apr 2011
AivanK said:
Btw anyone noticed that Gintama reference? Hard-Boiled? xD

Except that's not a Gintama reference.
Feb 14, 2017 1:36 AM

Oct 2016
nice episode ... more satania is life ... their halloween costume is cute specially gabriel .. satania playing shogi is funny also
Feb 14, 2017 2:49 AM

Nov 2011
The latest events themed Halloween, I saw no one was so funny like this, in the anime series. Even the first part is always modestly irreverent and fun. Raphi's character, begins to better integrate into the group.
I do not think I have a scene to be mentioned, because the whole episode was hilarious.

Lewd said:
Satania sure knows how to art A+++ work

In some ways, this drawing reminds me so much anime series, Nichijou. XD
Feb 14, 2017 3:48 AM

Jan 2017
Hell has answered my prayers for a Satania-centric episode
Feb 14, 2017 6:51 AM

Aug 2015
Best episode so far, The shogi, art class part and Satania's top class drawing was the best.

yhunata said:
I swear, half the shit that happens to Satania is because of how fucking gullible she is.

GangsterCat said:
my face during this entire series episode

You know, I would understand if you were someone who didn't like to drop stuff, but you're not. So why the fuck are you still watching this if you hate it so much?

Because he's a shitposter and therefore shouldn't take his posts seriously.
Feb 14, 2017 9:51 AM
Mar 2016
Sign..............This is starting to get boring and I'm starting to get annoyed with Satanica.

Halloween in Japan and done in the daytime, seriously, do them Japs even do that kind of thing?
Feb 14, 2017 2:33 PM

Feb 2008
Satanya truly is something else... Another example why idiots and guns don't mingle well. I rather liked the Halloween segment as well, Gabriel as a werecat was surprisingly cute.
Feb 14, 2017 3:31 PM
Jul 2018
Those outfits were adorable, especially Gabriel's outfit.
Feb 14, 2017 3:54 PM

Jun 2012
One of the best episodes so far. I lost it at that game of Shogi.
Feb 14, 2017 4:43 PM

Dec 2016
I agree with everyone who has said that the jokes and gags are getting repetitive and that there is no character development, but for some reason I still like this series... Cute characters can only get you so far, though.

What's the difference?
Feb 14, 2017 7:19 PM

Jan 2013
yhunata said:

Sorry, then from where it is? Since the firs time i've heard that was in Gintama.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Feb 14, 2017 7:31 PM

Apr 2011
AivanK said:
yhunata said:

Sorry, then from where it is? Since the firs time i've heard that was in Gintama.

It's not from anywhere;
merriam-webster said:

Definition of hard–boiled

a : devoid of sentimentality : tough <a hard–boiled drill sergeant>
b : of, relating to, or being a detective story featuring a tough unsentimental protagonist and a matter-of-fact attitude towards violence[/b]
Feb 14, 2017 8:06 PM

Jul 2015
Aaaahhhh poor Satania, shes a wonderful person but she is also pretty dang stupid unfortunately for her, but hey, she got a lot of attention this episode, more so than the character the show is named after. And the class rep has finally made a return if only for a short little segment.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Feb 14, 2017 10:34 PM

Oct 2011
Lol at the gun lol
Omg that shogi game lol XD
Trick or Dog lol
Feb 15, 2017 3:32 AM

Dec 2011
That's the closest to devilish of anything Vigne's done yet. Dressing up Gabriel against her permission.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Feb 15, 2017 3:48 AM

Jun 2014
Satania finally became the protagonist. It was about time.
Also, these Halloween costumes were super adorable.
Feb 16, 2017 2:53 AM
Jul 2018
Yay, more Satania...

Revolver gag... School + shooting... Seems familiar.

Shogi with a twist. As a guy who's watching 3gatsu no Lion, this is awesome. Lol. Offside and double dribble. XD

Halloween... Dem adorable costumes
Feb 16, 2017 8:16 AM

Nov 2016
Best episode so far, everything we've been waiting for.
That costume is kind of cute on gabriel.
Watching the "intense" shogi match and i don't know who's laughing more, me or satania after being shot by that gun
Feb 16, 2017 9:58 AM

Jun 2016
Really fun episode! Satania with the gun was the best part! All the girls looked so cute in those costumes.

Help the industry and buy Blu-rays and DVD's.
Noragami is the best anime ever.
Feb 16, 2017 10:56 PM

May 2015

That was an intense Yu-Gi-Oh match, Gabriel even managed to summon a God by tributing four pawns!
Feb 16, 2017 11:52 PM

Nov 2010
Lewd said:
Satania sure knows how to art A+++ work

haha, at least this drawing is better than Chinatsu's drawings. (Yuru Yuri reference )
Feb 17, 2017 8:48 AM

Apr 2014
there was some good parts but my god the whole Ainsworth and then the dog things are getting pretty annoying imo the ep before this was pretty nice because of the new character

though i still like this series i feel it just needs more, more characters would be really nice as things are really starting to get meh
"one step at a time"
Feb 17, 2017 4:37 PM
Oct 2009
animefan8800 said:
794 said:

I agree. I'm actually really starting to feel "over" this show. After an episode where my favorite character is in the title too! I dunno, I just don't see things changing and I'd like this show so much more if best-girl Satania wasn't constantly forced to play the butt monkey. :( Gabriel herself feels like Tomoko from Watamote without any of her sympathetic or likeable scenes. This doesn't even come close to comparing to Umaru. I'm honestly tempted to lower my score for this a bit.

I agree as well. Actually though, I didn't even like it that much at the beginning, but this episode in particular was so insanely predictable and repetitive. Satania may be cute, but she's very one-note. And even then she's the most interesting character that this series has to offer. Gabriel also gives me Tomoko vibes, except she completely lacks the irony and relatability of Tomoko's half-desire to make friends!

Though to be fair the shogi scene was creative enough, when they just made up rules as they went.
Feb 17, 2017 5:54 PM

Mar 2016
After watching this episode, now i'm sure Gabriel is the true evil, beware from netoge game minna :3

Till now i don't care about developement because this anime has comedy-centered. And the comedy value is highly above average. That's why i'm just laughing every moment
But the progression like gabriel has called back to heaven is always welcome

The shogi fight is intense and that 'cool' teacher is absolutely care about their student
RioAlFeb 18, 2017 3:40 AM

Feb 17, 2017 6:58 PM

Jan 2013
[quote=yhunata message=49676232]

It's not from anywhere;
merriam-webster said:

Definition of hard–boiled

a : devoid of sentimentality : tough <a hard–boiled drill sergeant>
b : of, relating to, or being a detective story featuring a tough unsentimental protagonist and a matter-of-fact attitude towards violence[/b]

Oh ok, thanks for the answer.

Feb 17, 2017 10:43 PM

Sep 2014
Cute a fuck. Wearcat? LOL

As usual. I, god, have given thee a gift again.

I kept it full res so it's a big pic. Might want to open in new tab for better view. It's like 1000X3000

If anyone has any scenes they want me to stich up, I'm game. I've seen some positive replies so feel free to toss me a show, timestamp and I'll see what magic I can do. Unless there is already a thread for that......
Feb 18, 2017 2:22 AM

Sep 2011
Okay, I legit do not understand how someone could still be watching this if they don't enjoy the comedy. Like I could understand watching something like Erased or Re:Zero that has a running plot to critique but an episodic comedy like this isn't going to suddenly get better unless the writer changes.
Feb 18, 2017 10:37 AM

Jun 2016
Lol, "OFFSIDE" "DRIBBLE"
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gabriel DropOut Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 30, 2017

102 by Origami_Cyclone »»
Feb 9, 10:45 PM

Poll: » Gabriel DropOut Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 23, 2017

141 by Origami_Cyclone »»
Feb 9, 9:07 PM

Poll: » Gabriel DropOut Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 6, 2017

99 by Pat_DR »»
Jan 26, 3:10 AM

Poll: » Gabriel DropOut Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2017

160 by WELLERM »»
Dec 1, 2023 7:40 PM

Poll: » Gabriel DropOut Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2017

98 by WELLERM »»
Dec 1, 2023 7:39 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.