Forum Settings
Forums

Does anyone ever feel like anime is inferior to western television.

New
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Feb 14, 2017 10:22 PM

Jan 2015
Depend in what context I see both...

la critique de l'intention pure
Feb 15, 2017 1:58 AM

Aug 2011
I've recently been enjoying shows like The Wire and Stranger Things, and I absolutely loved Breaking Bad, Twin Peaks, OITNB and the first couple of seasons of GoT before it bored me. There's also a couple of new series coming out on other streaming sites that are fantastic. So I do like western television, but that doesn't mean I can't love anime. lol why does it have to be one or the other?

The biggest advantage anime has over western tv is the fact that 40+ new shows air every three months so there's always going to be something new to watch. While western tv can take years before a new season starts up again, or something new (and good) replaces one that ended, you can watch hundreds of new anime, which is awesome.

Feb 15, 2017 2:01 AM

Feb 2012
Nope. If that was true, then why would I be watching anime? Though there are some worthwhile stuff sometimes, like Battlestar Galactica. Not often, though. I prefer asian live-action.
Feb 15, 2017 7:27 AM
Jul 2018
Depends how we're comparing things. If looking at things in their current situation, modern Western TV has a lot more to offer in terms of quality than over 90% of modern anime, though if looking at the entirety of anime throughout their history I'd say anime have more to offer overall, as I've yet to see a western show on the same level as Legend of the Galactic Heroes.
Feb 15, 2017 7:29 AM

Apr 2014
to me anime is superior because comedy in western television involve the actors looking in a direction outside the cameras' pov and make some cringy reaction. A tumbling noise or a cat screaming may be played as well
as for other genres, i like police dramas and stuff and to me the west does that better because it just seems more real life to me :[
Feb 15, 2017 8:49 AM

Aug 2012
Only top anime can compete with Western TV shows imo. Though, I find anime a much faster source of entertainment and has reasonable amounts of episodes and seasons (Western TV shows can get up to 8 seasons, wtf?)
Feb 15, 2017 9:07 AM
Feb 2016
15poundfish said:
Western media often gets a bad rap for having too many episodic shows, but I found the shows with overarching stories blow the best anime out of the water. HBO shows like the Wire, West World or netflix originals like House of Cards have more depth and characterization than the poster child anime for depth like Evangelion or other fan favorites. The cartoons like the Clone Wars, Avatar,etc are far better than most shounen anime and have better animation despite being extremely old shows. It seems western media quality wise is superior and the only strength anime has is its variety and novelty.

What is the reason why other mediums seem to always be a step ahead of anime? is it lack of writing talent? Do they take writing less seriously because its a cartoon?

You can't compare Bananas and Oranges. However, the problem with your perception is the anime you've watched so far. If you compare Naruto or One Piece (or most mainstream anime) with Rome or Game of Thrones, is like saying that Italian cars are better than Japanese cars by comparing a Ferrari with a Tsuru.

You are also confused about maturity. You are comparing very adult series for people with very strong criteria against shounen. I don't know you, but I prefer Black Lagoon than House of Cards or Full Metal Panic! than Star Wars Rebels.

If you look for very high character development, very mature plot, etc then you need to look for the right anime, and believe me, there it is for you to watch.

I won't compare western garbage with Japanese anime, because it's an idiotic comparison for me. I love as much watching Breaking Bad than watching Garden of Sinners. However, age, maturity and taste play a very high role in your tastes.

To begin making fair comparisons of anime and western series, I suggest you watch the following animes and then I dare you to reinsure your statements.

-Garden of Sinners
-Black Lagoon
-Rurouni Kenshin: Trust & Betrayal
-Cowboy Bebop
-Baccano!
-Ghost in the Shell
-Sword of a Stranger
-Gurren Lagan
-Berserk
-Gungrave
-Claymore
-Perfect Blue
-Ga Rei Zero
-Bakemonogatari Series
-Blood +
-RIN; Daughters of Mnemosyne
-Knights of Sidonia
-Paranoia Agent
-Mardock Scramble
-Eden of Grisalia
-Monster
-Kill la Kill
-Steins;Gate
-Mononoke no Hime
-Nausicaä
-Madoka
-etc etc etc

You will find that -A LOT- of western series and movies have very strong influence of some of those titles, like Matrix being a Ghost in the Shell copy or The Black Swan very similar to Perfect Blue. Not to talk about Films and Anime directly using Anime techniques like Scott Pilgrim vs The World, RWBY, Samurai Jack, Magnific 7,etc. Of course, anime has also a lot of western influences. Just look at eye or hair colors at anime.

Just watch some of the anime I suggrest, those are among the most mature animes out there. Then compare, make your own mind and tell us your results.
Feb 15, 2017 9:23 AM

Feb 2010
Nabris said:
I've recently been enjoying shows like The Wire and Stranger Things, and I absolutely loved Breaking Bad, Twin Peaks, OITNB and the first couple of seasons of GoT before it bored me. There's also a couple of new series coming out on other streaming sites that are fantastic. So I do like western television, but that doesn't mean I can't love anime. lol why does it have to be one or the other?

It doesn't. Saying you find one of them better at something is not the same as only being able to like one of them. Many people in this thread seem to think saying A is better than B at something means they hate B and find it crap, but it makes no sense to me. With that logic having a favorite show means you can't like anything else?

The biggest advantage anime has over western tv is the fact that 40+ new shows air every three months so there's always going to be something new to watch. While western tv can take years before a new season starts up again, or something new (and good) replaces one that ended, you can watch hundreds of new anime, which is awesome.

That isn't really true. People just don't put in the same effort when looking for live action compared to looking for anime so they might be under that impression.. For anime they scour seasonal charts months ahead while for TV they tend to be satisfied with checking what is aired on TV and don't look any deeper into it.

Because I'm pretty sure there are at least as many american TV shows as anime each year. Here is just a bit of an incomplete overview over the current TV year to give you a picture (http://www.metacritic.com/feature/tv-renewal-scorecard-2016-2017-season). And I regularly check out seasonal previews for american TV and it's often 50+ series. That's new Series. There are at least as many sequels airing each season. There just are so fucking many stations, and with the recent growth of streaming services producing their own shows the tendency is only growing. If you include other western parts like England or Scandinavia which have been producing more and more internationally relevant TV Series there's definitely more of those shows compared to anime.

Anime just airs them by a stricter schedule, with those 3 month intervals. While western TV only has vague starting dates for seasons (fall and spring) but depending on the station stuff can start airing anytime and not all at the same times like in anime.
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 15, 2017 9:33 AM

Oct 2008
I don't know what you're talking about.

Even since I was little, I've learned more from anime than any sloppy Western medium presented to me. (That includes you, Disney.)

Well, I guess I have a soft spot for Steven Universe and Samurai Jack, but regular Western television and movies bore me to no end. Especially all the superhero crap. blegh.

...But I know this is just bait, so whatever, byebye. :P
Feb 15, 2017 9:42 AM
Jun 2015
erparom said:

To begin making fair comparisons of anime and western series, I suggest you watch the following animes and then I dare you to reinsure your statements.

-Garden of Sinners
-Black Lagoon
-Cowboy Bebop
-Baccano!
-Ghost in the Shell
-Sword of a Stranger
-Gurren Lagan
-Berserk
-Gungrave
-Claymore
-Perfect Blue
-Ga Rei Zero
-Bakemonogatari Series
-Blood +
-Knights of Sidonia
-Paranoia Agent
-Mardock Scramble
-Eden of Grisalia
-Monster
-Kill la Kill
-Steins;Gate
-Mononoke no Hime
-Nausicaä
-Madoka
-etc etc etc

You will find that -A LOT- of western series and movies have very strong influence of some of those titles, like Matrix being a Ghost in the Shell copy or The Black Swan very similar to Perfect Blue. Not to talk about Films and Anime directly using Anime techniques like Scott Pilgrim vs The World, RWBY, Samurai Jack, Magnific 7,etc. Of course, anime has also a lot of western influences. Just look at eye or hair colors at anime.

Just watch some of the anime I suggrest, those are among the most mature animes out there. Then compare, make your own mind and tell us your results.

I have seen most of the ones on your list, my point was not that all western television is better than anime. My point is that good western television completely outclasses the best anime in categories that matter like story telling, characterization, etc. None of those shows you listed are as good as the Wire, although some of them are good shows.
Feb 15, 2017 9:47 AM

Jan 2012
Consider most of what anime has shown recent years. I would ever consider many of the old cartoon from my childhood being way more entertaining and fun,
How I love a game
Feb 15, 2017 9:52 AM

Feb 2010
erparom said:
15poundfish said:
Western media often gets a bad rap for having too many episodic shows, but I found the shows with overarching stories blow the best anime out of the water. HBO shows like the Wire, West World or netflix originals like House of Cards have more depth and characterization than the poster child anime for depth like Evangelion or other fan favorites. The cartoons like the Clone Wars, Avatar,etc are far better than most shounen anime and have better animation despite being extremely old shows. It seems western media quality wise is superior and the only strength anime has is its variety and novelty.

What is the reason why other mediums seem to always be a step ahead of anime? is it lack of writing talent? Do they take writing less seriously because its a cartoon?

You can't compare Bananas and Oranges. However, the problem with your perception is the anime you've watched so far. If you compare Naruto or One Piece (or most mainstream anime) with Rome or Game of Thrones, is like saying that Italian cars are better than Japanese cars by comparing a Ferrari with a Tsuru.

I like Game of Thrones, but One Piece is better. This has nothing to do with cars.

You are also confused about maturity. You are comparing very adult series for people with very strong criteria against shounen. I don't know you, but I prefer Black Lagoon than House of Cards or Full Metal Panic! than Star Wars Rebels.

He specifically mentioned NGE which is praised for its mature appeal and compared shounen to the closest western equivalent TLA. His comparisons make more sense than comparing a mindless action stylefest like Black Lagoon to a political drama in my humble opinion.

If you look for very high character development, very mature plot, etc then you need to look for the right anime, and believe me, there it is for you to watch.

Nobody doubts that. This thread is not about their existence, but whether the best of them can live up to the best comparable western series.

I won't compare western garbage with Japanese anime, because it's an idiotic comparison for me. I love as much watching Breaking Bad than watching Garden of Sinners. However, age, maturity and taste play a very high role in your tastes.

Of course factors are relevant for taste. But that has nothing to do with what OP said.

-Garden of Sinners
-Black Lagoon
-Cowboy Bebop
-Baccano!
-Ghost in the Shell
-Sword of a Stranger
-Gurren Lagan
-Berserk
-Gungrave
-Claymore
-Perfect Blue
-Ga Rei Zero
-Bakemonogatari Series
-Blood +
-Knights of Sidonia
-Paranoia Agent
-Mardock Scramble
-Eden of Grisalia
-Monster
-Kill la Kill
-Steins;Gate
-Mononoke no Hime
-Nausicaä
-Madoka
-etc etc etc

I'm not OP but I've seen them all and while I loved many of them, the only ones that compare to stuff like The Wire or Oz are Bebop and Monster, but even those just do different things. Most of these anime don't are about gritty realism in their characters and critically portraying them in the context of real world problems. Most of what you listed are stylish action flicks, experimental sci-fi, abstract psychological stuff, over-the-top stuff, visual feasts or plain fantasy. Anime does a lot of interesting and niche things, but in some respects it can't compete with western series (and vice versa). No amount of anime that I watch will change that.

You basically just proved what I was saying earlier by listing all these shows that don't offer anything close to what I'm looking for in my live action favorites. Anime just doesn't have many, if any, shows comparable to The Wire, Oz, House of Cards or Boston Legal. Its focus lies elsewhere 99% of the time.

Also most of the really good examples are missing from your list :(
(LOGH, Master Keaton, Kino's Journey, Planetes, Ashita no Joe etc...)
AlcoholicideFeb 15, 2017 9:55 AM
Feb 15, 2017 10:01 AM

Aug 2016
To be honest, the very reason why I got into anime was because i was sick and tired of the bulls**t that is served to us by Hollywood regularly. I mean, both have great things to offer, mixed with a lot of generic, horrible s**t, but I guess that goes for any medium. Anime is a nice alternative to Western TV and cinema, and neither is inferior to the other if you ask me.
Feb 15, 2017 10:04 AM

Dec 2016
Of course anime is better then western because of the glorious animation and a good storyline well i must admit some of the western tv do have a nice storyline but the animation does not really catch my eye
Feb 15, 2017 10:12 AM

Aug 2009
So much anime comes out nowadays there are probably at least gonna be 2 or 3 shows a season that you genuinely enjoy. The production of western T.V is a lot slower, but I do feel like there is better content. It depends on if you're talking about just cartoons or like western T.V in general, cause then you can include stuff like Black Mirror, The Wire, True Detective, Twin Peaks, Game of Thrones, West World etc. which have extremely high production values.

There are definitely great cartoons though which are comparable if not better than anime. The Maxx, Samurai Jack, Rick and Morty, Bojack, Over the Garden wall, Aeon Flux, Batman TAS and Beyond.

I don't think anime is as carefully produced though, and the highs and not quite as high with anime, especially since things can be quite Japan-centric.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Feb 15, 2017 10:50 AM

Jun 2016
I dunno
Anime has Monster, Legend of galactic Heroes, Ashita no Joe, Fullmetal alchemist.
I havent seen enough western stuff to decide though.
Feb 15, 2017 11:44 AM

Apr 2016
flannan said:
15poundfish said:
The cartoons like the Clone Wars, Avatar,etc are far better than most shounen anime and have better animation despite being extremely old shows.

That's a blatant lie. I have actually seen Avatar, and it's notably dumb, childish and full of american toilet humor. The only reason you could like it is because you're american.

Avatar wasn't that bad, it was a good show in my opinion, better than most shounen anime out there. Well, I guess my opinion doesn't weight that much when it comes to shounen, because I hate that genre anyway.

BTT: It's all up to personal preference, if you enjoy american shows more stick to them, nobody forces you to watch anime and nobody ever said that "anime>cartoons". It's just peoples opinions, why do you even care.

I prefer anime over any other passive entertainment because you can find some insanely good shows if you just look for 'em. The huge variety of anime is what makes anime so good, besides your generic seasonal harem/moe show there are plenty of originals that you just can't compare to cartoons or any other medium.

Animation is all about the budget, just take Kimi no na wa. as example. High budget = insane animation, same goes for Kotonoha no Niwa. There are just too many shows with a low budget that just can't afford the best animation and let's be real here, animation is just one of the last things that really affect my enjoyment.

Same goes for the characterization part, not all shows focus on 2deep4you characters. Just take Monster as example, the characterizations are top-notch and the show is quite old. Serial experiments lain is a great example too, I never saw a character go through such a development in any medium.

Never thought that cartoons are a step ahead of anime. You can't really compare these things, it's like Bollywood and Hollywood, it's targeted on a diffrent audience, if you don't count yourself to them you are just sticking to the wrong medium of entertainment.
Feb 15, 2017 12:00 PM

Jul 2014
how is anime inferior to western tv shows....just how...
Feb 15, 2017 12:10 PM

Feb 2016
Well, there are more than a couple of reasons for that.

1) Cultural differences. Some things feel more natural for us, because we are better used to it.
2) Run time. On the regular, when it comes to tv shows, they are twice the length of an anime, thus giving it more time to develop characters and plot.
3) Budget. As far as I hear, anime shows are made on extremely tight budgets.
4) Anime tends to be very dramatic, especially when it comes to characterizations and abilities of characters. A genius like a Lelouch, for example, would break our suspension of disbelief if he was in a western show.
Feb 15, 2017 12:49 PM

Apr 2016
I'm sure it's a matter of preference I used to watch western TV A LOT.Like at least 20 show.Now I only follow GoT.I don't think one is inferior/superior to other.It's just I find anime to be more entertaining and appealing.
Feb 15, 2017 1:01 PM

Apr 2016
Citing one or two good western tv shows doesn't redeem the zillion other, utterly terrible western tv shows that choke the networks these days.

Bad anime is far more passable than bad western shows, whatever selective criteria we try to use comparing good anime vs good western shows.
Andan210 said:
Oh look, another thread that tries to say that just because Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon have like 7 or 8 half decent shows, that means that now the totality of western animation is superior to everything the anime industry has made for the last 50 years. Yep, I see nothing wrong with that logic. No, sir.

And that's really what debates like this almost always boil down to.

People don't care how long anime has been pushing boundaries or exceeding the limitations imposed on American cartoons, if the most recent anime season was disappointing compared to last year's batch of cartoons then all anime must suck.
Ivo-gojiFeb 15, 2017 1:08 PM
Got oppai?
Feb 15, 2017 2:09 PM

Nov 2016
The only live action western TV shows I have watched are Breaking Bad, Stranger Things, The Walking Dead, House and Scrubs although I do want to watch Black Mirror and West World too. That's as far as I would go with western live action shows.. It's far from being one of my favourite mediums like anime is. I mean we have shows like Madoka Magica. That says enough really.

Also I have very little experience with Western animated shows. Apart from Adventure Time (which I thought was really good until I lost a lot of interest in it), South Park (which is the only good American animated comedy in my opinion), The Simpsons, and Family Guy as well as the 90s Cartoon Network shows that is all I have seen. Anime is just so much better to me. It's up there with video games as my favourite medium.

That said, 90s Cartoon Network shows were awesome and a big part of my childhood.

Though I haven't seen much anime there is only a handful that I have seen that I consider bad or average. Whereas there are tons of American shows which I cringe thinking about.
Feb 15, 2017 2:37 PM

Jan 2013
Anime got to me emotionally while live action never did. Also they don't have Garden of Sinners so no I don't agree with you OP.
Feb 15, 2017 2:41 PM

Feb 2010
Pixel_Vapour said:
Though I haven't seen much anime there is only a handful that I have seen that I consider bad or average. Whereas there are tons of American shows which I cringe thinking about.

Probably because you handpick the anime you watch like most people while often randomly encountering western TV shows on television without any quality control on your side. It's not like zapping through channels will show you any bad anime, but it will make you aware of lots of random shit on TV, whose japanese/anime equivalents you'd never even know.

This applies to most people who replied in this thread, I'm just quoting you because you're the most recent guy who went on about having a much worse impression of western TV compared to anime so don't take it personal, your post was much more levelheaded than a lot of the others who extressed similar impressions.

I think a have a more positive opinion of western television than most people here (judging from the replies in this thread) because I haven't had a TV for 10 years and search for new shows the same way I search for new anime, by browsing through databases, recs from friends I trust, keeping an eye on certain directors/writers/actors/studios/channels. Not by turning on the TV and judging the medium based on what is airing. Western Television is just closer to home and we get all the unfiltered crap as well while anime goes through various filters before you ever watch it (needs to be subbed, streamed, ripped, recommended and you need to make the conscious decision to watch).

But when it comes down to it it's not less ignorant to judge the whole medium of western television based on vague mainstream impressions on TV than doing the same for anime and thinking it's all Pokemon and Naruto kids stuff. It's very easy to go down that road, but anybody who think 'normies' should be more open-minded about anime and not judge it on some superficial impressions they got, can at least extend the same courtesy to western television. Avoiding western TV because you didn't like, idk, Breaking Bad, Walking Dead and Game of Thrones is like avoiding anime because you didn't like Bleach, Naruto or One Piece.

Too many posts in this thread are snap judgments of people who never seriously tried to find something that interests them in western television and just pat themselves on the shoulder with animes alleged superiority because they are not interested in whether it's true or not. They just aren't interested in anything else as long as they are satisfied with anime and whatever other hobbies they are. But guess what, that is how every ignorant guy shittalking anime because of superficial prejudices thinks. It's easier to justify ignoring a medium when you tell yourself it is inherently inferior than to just admit you are too lazy to look into it because you already have something you like to do/watch.
Feb 15, 2017 2:42 PM

Dec 2015
anime has jojo, so it is obviously superior
no
Feb 15, 2017 3:12 PM

Sep 2012
Not really.

I'm more of an anime watcher but each year there is usually a pretty even mix of both new Western TV and Anime shows that I have really enjoyed. Movies on the other hand have fallen wayside. Which doesn't mean that they are inferior, I just don't have as much interest in them.
mc093Feb 15, 2017 3:15 PM
Feb 15, 2017 3:42 PM
Jul 2014
Man this just feels like shallow bait. Like, even if it isn't it just seems like you don't take a moment to consider outside of your personal view of these shows.

For instance, you talk about how Avatar and Clone Wars are better than any shounen, but this doesn't hold any weight on its own. What if I thought Avatar was shit, and Hunter X Hunter was my favorite show? You've done nothing to try and actually argue your points, rather, falling back to generic statements disguised as points since you bring up specific shows.

As for animation, Avatar and Clone Wars are animated in an entirely different style than anime is animated in, as was brought up by Pullman anime is rooted in limited animation, and while it isn't as simple as that at this point, it is a difference in style more often than a difference in quality.

I would rather sit down and watch anything from my top favorites than essentially any western cartoon, and even most western shows in general. While I acknowledge that they are often good, as the examples you bring up are shows I would consider good, they are not generally the style of show I want to watch. Anime as a medium is of particular interest to me, and I think how it uses its settings, characters, or whatever, appeals more to me as an individual.

Also, anime is far ahead of western animation in my books as it is a lot less limited in terms of the styles of shows created. With anime you can find series of almost any genre imaginable (though some tend to be handled better than others), but with western cartoons you will be hardpressed to find 5 shows that don't fit into action, comedy, or action/comedy. That alone is a major turn off to me for the western animation medium as something to get fully invested in.

Anyway, the real point is that you make all these statements and then back it up with nothing substantive. Sure, you can think those things, I encourage you to think for yourself, but don't act like these are simple facts, especially without even attempting to provide actual reasoning.
CommanderSparkleFeb 15, 2017 5:09 PM
Feb 15, 2017 5:06 PM

Nov 2014
I barely watch tv as is so i can't say much but i will say i have maybe at max about 12 shows i actually enjoy that i watch but most of them i am behind on now as i haven't kept up with them aside from a select few also i should mention all of these shows i'm referring to are the hour long ones.

There are a few normal half hour shows on tv i have enjoyed over the years but only watch when bored but never keep up with them but as compared to anime i vastly prefer it to western because there is so much more for me to experience that i will enjoy more and western stuff is mostly all the same.
No drop crew, Loyal husband, sadomasochist, H&E bully, AWC fan. Click sig for n00dz!
Feb 15, 2017 5:55 PM

Dec 2013
I would disagree, I find FMAB to be the best television show in existence and shows like Cowboy Bebop, Hunter x Hunter 2011, Code Geass, Steins;Gate, etc. aren't far behind. Anime is right on par, if not a little better in certain aspects, with Western television.
Immahnoob said:
They say Jesus walked on water.
People are made out of 79% water.
I can walk on people.
So I am 79% Jesus.
Sourire said:
I once fucked an apple pie.
Feb 16, 2017 2:04 AM

May 2015
Rasheed said:
Only top anime can compete with Western TV shows imo. Though, I find anime a much faster source of entertainment and has reasonable amounts of episodes and seasons (Western TV shows can get up to 8 seasons, wtf?)

Talking about pighead capitalism. Western TV's obsession with ratings, and keeping a series so long as it generates profits will mean less shows will actually stand as whole works.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Feb 16, 2017 4:04 AM

Aug 2011
Pullman said:
Because I'm pretty sure there are at least as many american TV shows as anime each year. Here is just a bit of an incomplete overview over the current TV year to give you a picture (http://www.metacritic.com/feature/tv-renewal-scorecard-2016-2017-season). And I regularly check out seasonal previews for american TV and it's often 50+ series. That's new Series. There are at least as many sequels airing each season. There just are so fucking many stations, and with the recent growth of streaming services producing their own shows the tendency is only growing. If you include other western parts like England or Scandinavia which have been producing more and more internationally relevant TV Series there's definitely more of those shows compared to anime.

Anime just airs them by a stricter schedule, with those 3 month intervals. While western TV only has vague starting dates for seasons (fall and spring) but depending on the station stuff can start airing anytime and not all at the same times like in anime.

Yo thanks for the link, I'll definitely use that to find some more shows to watch ha. It's true I don't really follow western TV as much as I do anime, so I can't say I fully understand how seasons and schedules work, but holy shit that's a lot of shows to keep a person busy all year.

Feb 16, 2017 7:01 AM

Feb 2016
Pullman said:
Nabris said:

It doesn't. Saying you find one of them better at something is not the same as only being able to like one of them. Many people in this thread seem to think saying A is better than B at something means they hate B and find it crap, but it makes no sense to me. With that logic having a favorite show means you can't like anything else?

I feel like most people use the same kind of logic when scoring shows. Saying something is notably better than the other and reflecting it in the rating seems hard for them and apparently lowers the enjoyment somehow.

I also never knew there are soo many new american TV series every season :O

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Feb 16, 2017 8:08 AM
Jan 2017
Cirno9 said:
flannan said:

That's a blatant lie. I have actually seen Avatar, and it's notably dumb, childish and full of american toilet humor. The only reason you could like it is because you're american.

Avatar wasn't that bad, it was a good show in my opinion, better than most shounen anime out there. Well, I guess my opinion doesn't weight that much when it comes to shounen, because I hate that genre anyway.

BTT: It's all up to personal preference, if you enjoy american shows more stick to them, nobody forces you to watch anime and nobody ever said that "anime>cartoons". It's just peoples opinions, why do you even care.

I prefer anime over any other passive entertainment because you can find some insanely good shows if you just look for 'em. The huge variety of anime is what makes anime so good, besides your generic seasonal harem/moe show there are plenty of originals that you just can't compare to cartoons or any other medium.

Animation is all about the budget, just take Kimi no na wa. as example. High budget = insane animation, same goes for Kotonoha no Niwa. There are just too many shows with a low budget that just can't afford the best animation and let's be real here, animation is just one of the last things that really affect my enjoyment.

Same goes for the characterization part, not all shows focus on 2deep4you characters. Just take Monster as example, the characterizations are top-notch and the show is quite old. Serial experiments lain is a great example too, I never saw a character go through such a development in any medium.

Never thought that cartoons are a step ahead of anime. You can't really compare these things, it's like Bollywood and Hollywood, it's targeted on a diffrent audience, if you don't count yourself to them you are just sticking to the wrong medium of entertainment.

>Animation is all about the budget, just take Kimi no na wa. as example. High budget = insane animation, same goes for Kotonoha no Niwa.
You know, I don't really bother correcting people for the most part when they say Makoto Shinkai's movies are well animated, but they're really not. The animation is better than TV anime obviously, but it's dull and kind of lifeless. Serviceable but not good. What you're probably thinking of are the backgrounds and digital filters and the colouring (which are really great, I admit)
Feb 16, 2017 8:08 AM

Jan 2015
Anime is pretty much inferior to any medium out there.

- Unfinished series (lack of sequels/24 eps long anime)
- Lack of creative original series
- Poorly adapted (manga/novels)

The current trend atm.
MarroneFeb 16, 2017 8:12 AM

Feb 16, 2017 8:15 AM
Feb 2016
i can watch a popular western tv show and no for pretty much certain that it won't be shit. if i watch a popular anime it may be shit. however, there's no real western tv show that i've seen that is ninja slayer standard of quality. anime is worse in consistency, but when it is good, it is amazing (eg. ninja slayer)
Feb 16, 2017 9:27 AM
Jun 2015
CommanderSparkle said:
Man this just feels like shallow bait. Like, even if it isn't it just seems like you don't take a moment to consider outside of your personal view of these shows.

For instance, you talk about how Avatar and Clone Wars are better than any shounen, but this doesn't hold any weight on its own. What if I thought Avatar was shit, and Hunter X Hunter was my favorite show? You've done nothing to try and actually argue your points, rather, falling back to generic statements disguised as points since you bring up specific shows.

Better than most shounen as in the quality of both shows are better than most shounen anime. I didn't say it was better than FMA or Hunter X Hunter. There are actually a lot of good cartoons if your fine with the genre creep (Comedy). Rick And Morty, Futurama, Gravity Falls, Archer (Most of the time), Bojack Horsemen, Futurama, Steven Universe, Adventure Time, Regular Show, Avatar: The last Airbender, Star wars the Clone Wars, Samurai Jack, DC comic entries, Boondocks, etc.

CommanderSparkle said:

As for animation, Avatar and Clone Wars are animated in an entirely different style than anime is animated in, as was brought up by Pullman anime is rooted in limited animation, and while it isn't as simple as that at this point, it is a difference in style more often than a difference in quality.

Fluidity is a big part of what makes animation good, Anime is not as good as some of the better western cartoons animation because they don't have the budget to do good animation and also use bad cost cutting techniques. Have you noticed in fight scenes where everything is obscured? Its because not much is going in the scene.

CommanderSparkle said:

I would rather sit down and watch anything from my top favorites than essentially any western cartoon, and even most western shows in general. While I acknowledge that they are often good, as the examples you bring up are shows I would consider good, they are not generally the style of show I want to watch. Anime as a medium is of particular interest to me, and I think how it uses its settings, characters, or whatever, appeals more to me as an individual.

My point from the start that although anime has good things like variety and novelty it is not as good as the best stuff western television has to offer. The peaks of both mediums heavily favors western television especially if you are looking for mature stories for adults. No, I am not talking about violence and soft core porn I am talking about stories with characters with depth and a story that respects its audience and doesn't hand hold them all the way through like a lot of anime. Good western shows from the Crime/Sci-fi/Drama genres completely outclass the anime counterparts. Anime is starving for good titles of these genres and even the ones that are excellent by anime standards are just not anywhere near as good as the ones you can watch from western television. The average female character in western television is represented better than anime and the fan service is also done better than anime.
Feb 16, 2017 9:54 AM

Jun 2015
@15poundfish I hope you notice how all you're doing is naming some good western shows while completely ignoring anything anime has to offer. Hell, I'm not even taking either side as to which is better, but I know that your arguments are trash. Naming good shows doesn't redeem the other dozens of fecal matter the industry produces and vice versa.

Oh, and on another note, your last bit about female characters and fanservice really made me laugh. Good work on that, fam.
AltoRoarkFeb 16, 2017 10:02 AM
Feb 16, 2017 10:01 AM

Nov 2016
15poundfish said:
My point from the start that although anime has good things like variety and novelty it is not as good as the best stuff western television has to offer. The peaks of both mediums heavily favors western television especially if you are looking for mature stories for adults. No, I am not talking about violence and soft core porn I am talking about stories with characters with depth and a story that respects its audience and doesn't hand hold them all the way through like a lot of anime. Good western shows from the Crime/Sci-fi/Drama genres completely outclass the anime counterparts. Anime is starving for good titles of these genres and even the ones that are excellent by anime standards are just not anywhere near as good as the ones you can watch from western television. The average female character in western television is represented better than anime and the fan service is also done better than anime.

Well it's obviously all down to opinions. In my opinion female characters are far better in certain anime. I also never felt like it hand holds the audience. You can find some really mature stories in anime, plenty of stuff for adults. I admit anime doesn't have a whole lot to choose in those genres but to me they're more applicable to my tastes than western TV.

The one thing I can agree on is that fan service can sometimes be over the top with anime. So does Western TV though.

(Also I kind of couldn't really care about western TV with the amount of anime I have to watch.. Just glance at my PTW list!)
Pixel_VapourFeb 16, 2017 10:06 AM
Feb 16, 2017 11:54 AM

Apr 2016
eyesalad said:
Cirno9 said:

>Animation is all about the budget, just take Kimi no na wa. as example. High budget = insane animation, same goes for Kotonoha no Niwa.
You know, I don't really bother correcting people for the most part when they say Makoto Shinkai's movies are well animated, but they're really not. The animation is better than TV anime obviously, but it's dull and kind of lifeless. Serviceable but not good. What you're probably thinking of are the backgrounds and digital filters and the colouring (which are really great, I admit)

"Lifeless" is your opinion. Thing is, it looks great, like way better than everything else I saw. Idc if it's not the animation, it looks sexy and has that whoa effect unlike your western shows.
Feb 16, 2017 12:25 PM
Jun 2015
AltoRoark said:
@15poundfish I hope you notice how all you're doing is naming some good western shows while completely ignoring anything anime has to offer. Hell, I'm not even taking either side as to which is better, but I know that your arguments are trash. Naming good shows doesn't redeem the other dozens of fecal matter the industry produces and vice versa.

The argument that the quantity of bad titles defines a medium is misguided and silly. There are thousands of bad pieces of entertainment in any medium and enough that one person could not watch it in their entire lifetime. What matters are the good shows because they are ones that raise the standards and quality of a medium. Nobody cares about throwaway shows because they don't set standards or have much lasting value. If people believed in your rhetoric than books would be the worst medium because there is a lot of shitty books. Most people though would argue Books is the best medium for storytelling because its far more matured as a medium and has the best stories.
Feb 16, 2017 12:31 PM

Jan 2013
Marrone said:

The current trend atm.
You could easily argue against that with western tv
-An absurd amount of reality TV that never seem to end
-Lack of creative original series(Cop dramas galore)
-Shows get canceled all the time

See this doesn't go anywhere. Your reasons are no better than mine.
Feb 16, 2017 12:39 PM

Jan 2015
Major123 said:
Marrone said:

The current trend atm.
You could easily argue against that with western tv
-An absurd amount of reality TV that never seem to end
-Lack of creative original series(Cop dramas galore)
-Shows get canceled all the time

See this doesn't go anywhere. Your reasons are no better than mine.

- who even watches reality tv. I haven't got time for the kardashians. I'm talking about prime tv shows like the wire and mr robot. they get meaningful sequels that continue or end the story. unlike anime.
- there's more creative original works than anime ( a satisfactory amount)
- better to cancel a show and save us the rage and agony than to butcher it and give a poor adaptation.

Feb 16, 2017 1:29 PM
Jan 2017
Cirno9 said:
eyesalad said:

"Lifeless" is your opinion. Thing is, it looks great, like way better than everything else I saw. Idc if it's not the animation, it looks sexy and has that whoa effect unlike your western shows.

But in your first post you were praising the animation. I just corrected you on that, anyone who knows a thing about animation would most likely agree that the animation in his movies is nothing special.
Feb 16, 2017 1:36 PM

Mar 2014
15poundfish said:

Even the best cartoons aren't on the level of great anime. Avatar and clone wars aren't as good as great shounens like FMAB or HxH 2011. Also, there aren't much good western shows, they are either really good or really bad. Anime quality makes more of a curve, while bad western shows are REALLY awful. The best of the best western shows are better than the best anime though, but there are WAY more good anime than there are good tv shows. Also, bad anime are more enjoyable than bad western tv shows.
Live action wise, American TV beats Japanese TV but in terms of animated TV western tv is a joke compared to anime, as a matter of fact, the only western tv show i'd give a score over 8 is South Park ( Great characters and genius humour most of the time. )
TheKawaiiZombieFeb 16, 2017 1:40 PM

Profile Picture and Avatar/Signature made by SenpieX, requested in this thread :https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1568530&show=0
Feb 16, 2017 1:39 PM

Oct 2014
15poundfish said:
AltoRoark said:

The argument that the quantity of bad titles defines a medium is misguided and silly. There are thousands of bad pieces of entertainment in any medium and enough that one person could not watch it in their entire lifetime. What matters are the good shows because they are ones that raise the standards and quality of a medium. Nobody cares about throwaway shows because they don't set standards or have much lasting value. If people believed in your rhetoric than books would be the worst medium because there is a lot of shitty books. Most people though would argue Books is the best medium for storytelling because its far more matured as a medium and has the best stories.

so we should basically disregard 90% or more of what a medium contains when discussing its quality?
the ratio between good and bad shows when discussing a medium quality should not de discarted just because someone can not watch most of the stuff to get a full picture
and if we are comparing the stand outs only i could easily mention anime titles that equal or surpass most of the ones you are mentioning
Feb 16, 2017 2:56 PM
Jun 2015
TheKawaiiZombie said:

Even the best cartoons aren't on the level of great anime. Avatar and clone wars aren't as good as great shounens like FMAB or HxH 2011. Also, there aren't much good western shows, they are either really good or really bad. Anime quality makes more of a curve, while bad western shows are REALLY awful. The best of the best western shows are better than the best anime though, but there are WAY more good anime than there are good tv shows. Also, bad anime are more enjoyable than bad western tv shows.

There also is a lot more western television shows including sequels coming out every year. Its often really difficult to find a show because its more difficult to spot a bad western tv show than it is with anime. With Anime its super easy to find which titles are going to be decent at first glance because you can read the source material or watch the first episode. A bad Western show often never shows its true colors in the first few episodes it often jumps the shark you never saw coming. Western television has a lot more original programming than anime and some shows can start out good and end up being mediocre or awful as seasons pass like Breaking Bad, Lost, Walking Dead, Fringe, etc. I would say the number of quality titles per year is in advantage of western television because of the quantity of titles coming on per year especially since many companies are starting to emulate HBO type of television programming where they take creative ideas and give it a budget to create something ambitious. Although it depends on what you consider great anime because I find less than a handful of great anime per year.
Feb 16, 2017 3:02 PM
Jun 2015
gabrielrroiz said:

so we should basically disregard 90% or more of what a medium contains when discussing its quality?
the ratio between good and bad shows when discussing a medium quality should not de discarted just because someone can not watch most of the stuff to get a full picture
and if we are comparing the stand outs only i could easily mention anime titles that equal or surpass most of the ones you are mentioning

Name some then, There are a lot of great shows I haven't mentioned and its hard to come up with western titles that have an anime counter part. I mention The Wire in reference to people saying Evangelion is filled with depth and characterization.
Feb 16, 2017 4:00 PM

Mar 2014
15poundfish said:
TheKawaiiZombie said:

There also is a lot more western television shows including sequels coming out every year. Its often really difficult to find a show because its more difficult to spot a bad western tv show than it is with anime. With Anime its super easy to find which titles are going to be decent at first glance because you can read the source material or watch the first episode. A bad Western show often never shows its true colors in the first few episodes it often jumps the shark you never saw coming. Western television has a lot more original programming than anime and some shows can start out good and end up being mediocre or awful as seasons pass like Breaking Bad, Lost, Walking Dead, Fringe, etc. I would say the number of quality titles per year is in advantage of western television because of the quantity of titles coming on per year especially since many companies are starting to emulate HBO type of television programming where they take creative ideas and give it a budget to create something ambitious. Although it depends on what you consider great anime because I find less than a handful of great anime per year.

Breaking Bad never became bad, and Lost only became a bit worse but was still great. Walking Dead had bad times though. Fringe i never watched.
But it is easy to spot a bad tv show, over 90% of them are bad, while in anime it's less than 50% from my experience. If you don't include sequels then only about 5 good western shows come out each year... I see more than that in anime.

Profile Picture and Avatar/Signature made by SenpieX, requested in this thread :https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1568530&show=0
Feb 16, 2017 5:06 PM
Jun 2015
TheKawaiiZombie said:
If you don't include sequels then only about 5 good western shows come out each year... I see more than that in anime.

I think its more of a difference in taste than the number of quality titles being 50% for anime. The west appeals to more demographics than anime so even if there are more 15-20 good shows in a single year you are probably only going to like a select few.
Feb 16, 2017 5:17 PM
Jul 2014
15poundfish said:
CommanderSparkle said:

Better than most shounen as in the quality of both shows are better than most shounen anime. I didn't say it was better than FMA or Hunter X Hunter. There are actually a lot of good cartoons if your fine with the genre creep (Comedy). Rick And Morty, Futurama, Gravity Falls, Archer (Most of the time), Bojack Horsemen, Futurama, Steven Universe, Adventure Time, Regular Show, Avatar: The last Airbender, Star wars the Clone Wars, Samurai Jack, DC comic entries, Boondocks, etc.

CommanderSparkle said:

Fluidity is a big part of what makes animation good, Anime is not as good as some of the better western cartoons animation because they don't have the budget to do good animation and also use bad cost cutting techniques. Have you noticed in fight scenes where everything is obscured? Its because not much is going in the scene.

CommanderSparkle said:

I feel you missed the main point. Listing off shows doesn't actually say anything of substance. There are fantastic shows in every medium and it ultimately boils down to preference of style and presentation. Which, speaking of presentation, you seemed to miss the point that anime has the animation style it does often for stylistic reasons. It started as a purely money saving move with Tezuka, but at this point if a creator wants they can do quite a lot in the animation department. Redline for example has some of the best, and most stylized animation I've seen in any medium, far outclassing almost every animated work I've seen, and recent shows like Mob Psycho 100 are a wealth of stunning animation, whilst still maintaining a level of the limited style of anime.

You can think anime isn't as good as western shows, that is alright, but there is no reason why you have to act like your opinion is the only one that matters. Because ultimately that is all it is, your opinion. I can name plenty of shows that tackle mature themes or ideas in anime, and I can name plenty of shows that don't in western shows. Also, if you are a fan of animation, and you want mature story telling then anime is the way to go. Cartoons lack series such as Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Monster, Macross, Space Battleship Yamato, Mushishi, Kino no Tabi, etc. Does that mean cartoons are bad? Of course not, but you are trying to conflate western live action shows and cartoons against anime, which honestly doesn't make much sense in my opinion. Your arguments just feel extremely weak to me.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» which antagonist is your fave and which one you cannot JUST TAKE SERIOUSLY ?

ame - 50 minutes ago

7 by deg »»
2 minutes ago

» Do you watch anything else besides anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 21

81 by BilboBaggins365 »»
3 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

83 by FanofAction »»
6 minutes ago

» Characters you like but everyone else hates. ( 1 2 )

Spunkert - May 17, 2023

50 by Bruh69XD »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » How much do you consume from the otaku world?

castle2001 - Apr 22

28 by deg »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.