Forum Settings
Forums

That anime you wanted to be good so bad but...

New
Feb 12, 2017 11:34 AM

Apr 2014
You guys ever tried watching an anime thinking it was gonna be so good but it was just really bad/boring, but for the sake of the anime you trooped on?

It struck me after I binged Arjuna, thinking it was gonna be this great story about the MC gaining powers to defeat these demons and restore balance with some weird love polygon but it turned out to be some crap about nature and mystic swami ideals

then I went through my list and found more anime I cant believe i finished, just waiting for it to get better but never did

• Huyao Xiao Hongniang - its in total chinese so i thought it would be cool to finish one of em but it was just not hooking
  • Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic - it was just oen of those hyped series that people told me were good but I can't believe I finished all 25 eps
  • Ginga Tetsudou no Yoru - apparently some classic (and played a minor role in Hanbun) but I just could focus long enough without pausing every few mins because I was just letting it play in the background

I'm not one of those list strugglers that MUST complete every series I start regardless if I enjoy it or w.e. cuz some shows are just really really bad,
but have you guys done something similar and if you did what anime(or manga too) :]
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Feb 12, 2017 11:50 AM

Jul 2014
I know there are plenty, but one that comes to mind is Joker Game. The premise and idea sounds awesome, then you watch it and realise that it is a really boring show. I really wanted to like it but I just could not enjoy it. Dropped it after 5 episodes or something like that.
Feb 12, 2017 12:02 PM

Dec 2016
@Tompa I was also going to say Joker Game. I majored in history in college, so obviously history is my primary interest. I also like espionage shows a lot, and of course anime. So I thought "This is right up my alley!" But it just didn't come close to what I wanted it to be. I didn't think it was as bad as you, but it was totally mediocre and I barely finished it.
Feb 12, 2017 12:08 PM

Jan 2014
Not sure if it counts but mine is Akuma no Riddle. I watched it back when it was airing and was actually really enjoying it, but the last episode ruined pretty much all the good will I had for it.
It's less 'I wanted it to be good' and more 'it was good and then it screwed everything up'.
Feb 12, 2017 12:17 PM

Dec 2012
I would have loved Basilisk if
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Feb 12, 2017 12:22 PM

Nov 2009
.hack//Sign. In spite of potentially cool premise (kid stuck in a video game for some reason), the only good thing about the show was its soundtrack. It was otherwise very boring.
Any part of Slayers that is about just Lina and Naga just isn't as good as the main show. Maybe Gourry is just funnier than Naga.
Gate Keepers 21 suffers from the same problem (putting grimdark and realism where it doesn't belong) as post-soviet entertainment. I hate that.
I guess I can name some more, but I'm too sleepy now.

KazuyaKujo said:
It struck me after I binged Arjuna, thinking it was gonna be this great story about the MC gaining powers to defeat these demons and restore balance with some weird love polygon but it turned out to be some crap about nature and mystic swami ideals

I liked it for the very same reasons. Its mystic part agrees with what I know about this stuff very well.
Feb 12, 2017 12:26 PM
May 2015
Outlaw Star after the first 4 eps had me thinking it was a masterpiece. Really disappointing.

Magi as well has loads of potential but kept stumbling on its own air of self importance. Tries to smarter than it is.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 12, 2017 12:30 PM

Jun 2015
Toradora... not even want to explain why
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Feb 12, 2017 12:41 PM
Jul 2018
Hmm...that's a tough question.

I kinda wish Shun stayed alive in Shinsekai Yori. Satoru was a bit of a snot nosed prick.

Steins;Gate had a lot of potential. What could have been an intellectual show was reduced to nothing but a dating sim with time travel elements and Groundhog Day.

I wanted to like Gintama, but it didn't focus a lot on story as I expected it to be.

Fate/Zero had a lot going for it, but it reduced itself to being the eroge it is.

Code Geass had a lot of potential, but had so much shitty filler to begin with.

Soul Eater had a lot of potential, but I could not get past the amount of ecchi and the semi-terrible dub.

Arslan Senki and Kingdom could have been amazing if they kept the CGI to a minimum. At least Kingdom 2 is our saving grace.

I don't know about you, but there was a certain beauty with the Arslan Senki OVA that I couldn't find in the anime adaptation. The character designs were much more polished compared to the generic Arakawa design that I had to deal with in Arslan.

The ABe trio could've been better if the animation were more polished and the stories were more concise and better written.

I waited 4 goddamn years for a Little Witch Academia adaptation and it looks like it's not doing too well.

A lot of Gundam shows could've been great, especially the newer ones. It's a shame, though.
Feb 12, 2017 12:47 PM

Jul 2014
@RP59 Did it get better later or was it about the same throughout the whole show?
Feb 12, 2017 12:48 PM

Aug 2015
I hate when a friend recommends one anime saying that it's good, then you watch it with every hope that you are going to like it and in the end you don't.

It's really frustrating, because I wanted to talk with my friend and say that it was amazing and stuff.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 12, 2017 12:51 PM

Apr 2014
@CairAndros yeah I agree I wished Gintama was more story driven than slapstick; I didn't even bother after the first few episodes
And Soul Eater too - I forgot I even saw a few episodes.

@Lovaloo - me either I keep getting stuck on episode 10-11 of Higurashi because it just totally flips the story. I know it has to do with their psychological everything isn't what it seems trope but I just keep finding better stuff I like to watch lol
Feb 12, 2017 12:52 PM

Apr 2014
DraTreu4 said:
I hate when a friend recommends one anime saying that it's good, then you watch it with every hope that you are going to like it and in the end you don't.

It's really frustrating, because I wanted to talk with my friend and say that it was amazing and stuff.

ikr lol and then they're like "did u see that new episode" or "are u caught up yet" lol
Feb 12, 2017 12:54 PM

Sep 2016
Senki Zesshou Symphogear G, the second entry in the Symphogear series. I wanted to like it since I extremely enjoyed the first season, but was majorly disappointed and left frustrated. (Had a great soundtrack though, as expected.)

A promising start in the beginning that was quickly brought down by the most annoying, god awful antagonist ever (every time he appeared my enjoyment was destroyed) and several of the secondary characters' completely illogical, stupid reasoning throughout the show.

Also: Plot armor, plot devices, bad pacing, and weird direction.
Feb 12, 2017 12:56 PM

Jul 2015
Spoilers here x)

I would like re zero if the mc chose Rem
i would like nisekoi if the mc chose onodera
I would love twgok if the mc chose tenri or elsie
I would love food wars if erina didn't exist ... megumi <3
Feb 12, 2017 12:59 PM

Jul 2015
tragedydesu said:
Spoilers here x)

I would like re zero if the mc chose Rem
i would like nisekoi if the mc chose onodera
I would love twgok if the mc chose tenri or elsie
I would love food wars if erina didn't exist ... megumi <3
So Basically you wanted the MC to have Trash Waifu taste...
Sup...
Feb 12, 2017 1:02 PM
May 2016
I thought that Re:zero will be one of my favorites, but it was one of the worst animes i've seen, unfortunately.
Feb 12, 2017 1:02 PM

Dec 2016
Serial Experiments Lain shit was way to boring for me

But i must say Lain was very adorable in that bear suit
한 번만 살지만 제대로 하면 한 번이면 충분해요
Feb 12, 2017 1:11 PM

Aug 2015
KazuyaKujo said:
DraTreu4 said:

ikr lol and then they're like "did u see that new episode" or "are u caught up yet" lol

Yea lol... But there's always the good ones that both of us can say that they are good, at least in my case.
Feb 12, 2017 1:19 PM

Apr 2015
I think Joker Game could have been a lot better if the group of spies was trimmed down. Instead of switching leads every 1-2 episodes, they could focus on 3 main spies at 4-5 episodes each.
Feb 12, 2017 1:21 PM

Dec 2015
Rainbow: Nisha, just a bunch of retarded kids making retarded decisions every single episode.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Feb 12, 2017 1:21 PM

Dec 2015
Guilty Crown 😭

Production wise it was a great show and I absolutely adore the music. Really enjoyed the first few eps but then it just got worse and worse until it became unbearable and the ending was horribley unsatisfactory.

Honestly if it had even a half decent plot it would have been one of my favourite animes.
I'm special give me attention.

Feb 12, 2017 1:50 PM

Apr 2009
KUZU
NO
friggin'
HONKAI

Realizing that I don't like it somehow hurt a little 'cause I think I just got the "wrong" mindset for it, lol
« KILL WITCHES GET BITCHES »
– official 魔法少女 “mahou shoujo“ credo
Feb 12, 2017 1:57 PM

Oct 2016
Tokyo Ghoul. My friends had recommended me it and way over hyped it. I had heard so much about the manga that I assumed it would be great and was looking forward to what I thought we be one of my favorites! But it was so meh.
"It's the same sense of loss I feel when a slice-of-life series ends... The despair of knowing that their lives will still continue on, yet I won't be able to see it..."
~Hajime Tsunashi from Danna ga Nani wo Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken
Feb 12, 2017 2:05 PM

Jul 2015
^this omg
I was so excited because of all the hype and it was pretty average

I also really wanted to like cowboy bebop because everyone loves cowboy bebop but it was just boring imo don't kill me
Feb 12, 2017 2:05 PM
Dec 2011
I enjoyed Blood+ so much that I was excited for its predecessor Blood-C, but my hopes ran out half way through the series when it was just being a gorefest and nothing more. May I also add that this was done by CLAMP. Well, at least the movie made up for it.
Feb 12, 2017 2:26 PM
Dec 2015
Kids on the Slope. Similar to Your Lie in April but with Jazz was immediately appealing to me as a fan of Shigatsu and a saxophone player in real life. It's a damn shame that the series ended up being a lame romance between sets of characters who I either didn't care about at all or just straight up hated. Kaoru is one of the most annoying characters I've ever seen, with a whiny bitch personality and him being shown to "develop" many times before it turns out that he didn't actually learn anything. Centarou was interesting and likable unless he was acting totally out of character and hitting on his love interest. Both of the main love interests were totally forgettable and uninteresting, and this was the focus instead of the relationship between the leads or the great music. I don't get why this is popular at all.
Feb 12, 2017 2:27 PM

Oct 2012
I really wanted Little Bastards Busters to be good, since Key Arts did a great job on Kanon and Clannad which were face smashingly great. But it was utter sh*t, no effort into properly adapting it to the medium called anime. It felt like an animated LN.

Fck. Now I am pissed.
Feb 12, 2017 2:38 PM

Mar 2012
Lovaloo said:
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni has a very high MAL rating and reviews that praise it as the greatest horror anime. I didn't like it at all. The characters are forgettable stereotypes, the animation is inconsistent and usually quite bad, the character designs are unappealing, the murder simulation premise is cool, but gets boring after the first few arcs, and the ending struck me as a convenient cop-out. I wanted to like it and I sat through the entire thing hoping I would, but it was just a boring slog.

While I don't come close to hating the 1997 adaptation of Berserk or Steins;Gate, I think they're both a bit underwhelming. Maybe they're just overhyped.

hard agree, the concept for higurashi is cool but wasn't... used... at all and the characters are quite literally some of the worst ever created

OT: aku no hana
i liked the idea and the artstyle is interesting but the pettiness of the drama, psychologically uninteresting characters, and total squeamishness of protag killed it
Mayuka said:

did you call

holier than thou bitch right here

last.fm

Feb 12, 2017 2:40 PM

Sep 2012
Ironically it's SAO for me. I really liked the theme and starting point of the plot but oh well.

Takamura-sama said:

I wonder what did you expected from that show.
Feb 12, 2017 2:49 PM

Apr 2016
Fuuka. I had really high hopes.

In the end,
Man, I have to stop falling in love with fictitious high school girls'...moms!
Feb 12, 2017 3:01 PM

Nov 2013
Bleach for me. I loved everything before The Quincy War, but the last arc is just bad. I can't even bring myself to complete it. Same goes for the Great Ninja War in Naruto. Why must great manga be butchered by its creators, I will never know.
Feb 12, 2017 3:05 PM
Jul 2018
Shoujo Kakumei Utena. Was super boring and repetitive and it's part of the reason why I no longer watch anime as frequently as I did before.
Feb 12, 2017 3:20 PM

Oct 2013
Re:Zero, boring and repetitive... that MC didn't help either.
Occultic;Nine, I had such high hopes for this one... it was kinda disappointing.
Feb 12, 2017 3:24 PM

May 2016
Wolf's Rain. My final score for the series is a lukewarm 6.5/10, which means it's just pretty okay, but when a series has the legendary pedigree of Studio Bones + Yoko Kanno + Maaya Sakamoto and features such a rich and breathtaking setting, the fact that this series didn't rock me out of my socks is a crime and a shame.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Feb 12, 2017 3:30 PM

Feb 2016
FMAB, it didn't make the same impact as its predecessor the legendary FMA
Outlaw star, i thought it'd be as great as the great Cowboy bebop
Lain, as much as i hate to say it, but it was boring as hell
Hakugei densetsu, that was a nostalgia bust for me
Feb 12, 2017 3:32 PM

Feb 2016
Lord_Sithis said:
Shoujo Kakumei Utena. Was super boring and repetitive and it's part of the reason why I no longer watch anime as frequently as I did before.
Don't say that!! 😢 i started watching it lately 😝
Feb 12, 2017 3:36 PM

Feb 2015
Soul Eater. Loved the art style, but couldn't get past the first three episodes.
Kill la Kill. Wanted to like it for its over-the-top action, but meh...
Overlord. Everything about it seemed like something I'd like, but ended up dropping it.

There's probably more, lol.
Feb 12, 2017 4:03 PM

Oct 2013
CairAndros said:
Hmm...that's a tough question.

I kinda wish Shun stayed alive in Shinsekai Yori. Satoru was a bit of a snot nosed prick.

Steins;Gate had a lot of potential. What could have been an intellectual show was reduced to nothing but a dating sim with time travel elements and Groundhog Day.

I wanted to like Gintama, but it didn't focus a lot on story as I expected it to be.

Fate/Zero had a lot going for it, but it reduced itself to being the eroge it is.

Soul Eater had a lot of potential, but I could not get past the amount of ecchi and the semi-terrible dub.

Arslan Senki and Kingdom could have been amazing if they kept the CGI to a minimum. At least Kingdom 2 is our saving grace.

I don't know about you, but there was a certain beauty with the Arslan Senki OVA that I couldn't find in the anime adaptation. The character designs were much more polished compared to the generic Arakawa design that I had to deal with in Arslan.

The ABe trio could've been better if the animation were more polished and the stories were more concise and better written.

I waited 4 goddamn years for a Little Witch Academia adaptation and it looks like it's not doing too well.

A lot of Gundam shows could've been great, especially the newer ones. It's a shame, though.

Code geass doesn't have fillers. So you're probably getting confuse on something else.
Feb 12, 2017 4:21 PM
Jul 2018
By far Gakkou Gurashi... after reading the premise and watching the first episode i was surprised, and at the time i genuinely thought it had the potential to be one of the best series that came out in recent years. However as the story move along, it became simply mediocre... It had a amazing concept but it didn't know how to utilize it correctly.
Feb 12, 2017 4:29 PM

Apr 2014
Blarey said:
Bleach for me. I loved everything before The Quincy War, but the last arc is just bad. I can't even bring myself to complete it. Same goes for the Great Ninja War in Naruto. Why must great manga be butchered by its creators, I will never know.

for me it was that zampakuto arc and the ending for me was alright it coulda been better
Feb 12, 2017 4:37 PM
Jul 2018
keragamming said:
CairAndros said:

Code geass doesn't have fillers. So you're probably getting confuse on something else.

Really? Then how do you explain the episode with the cat and the mask and the CC pizza episode?
removed-userFeb 12, 2017 5:11 PM
Feb 12, 2017 4:39 PM

Apr 2015
91 days was quite disappointing and so was Kemono no Souja Erin, but for very different reasons that I don't feel like elaborating on, because that would bore me.
Feb 12, 2017 4:44 PM

Jul 2015
I agree about Magi. The first few episodes make it look like some awesome Indiana Jones-style adventure series, but the minute the drama kicks in during the later arcs it just becomes yet another magic bs fighting shonen (tbh magic bs fighting shonen can be awesome but in this case it just wasn't). I still liked all the more light-hearted parts of it, but the rest drag it down for me.
Feb 12, 2017 4:46 PM

Jan 2016
Ergo Proxy - Since is the standard "if you liked texhnolyze..." Got many wasted proxy-battles and one of the laughablest endings in history instead. Still had some nice "character episodes" in midst and a nice setting, but still...
And probably Monster - It felt so dragged out and Dr. Tenma's was one of my most disliked main characters..
Feb 12, 2017 4:52 PM

Nov 2013
KazuyaKujo said:
Blarey said:

for me it was that zampakuto arc and the ending for me was alright it coulda been better

That was filler, but I agree it could have been better. Zanpakatou arc wasn't bad, I actually liked seeing the human forms of all the zanpakatou since the only one we saw before was Zangetsu. Ryujin Jakka was supposed to be the strongest zanpakatou, but Muramasa bs made it more filler-like coming out of nowhere as a random OP spirit capable of beating head captain Yamamoto. Really if yama just used his bankai, everything would have been over.
Feb 12, 2017 4:56 PM

Apr 2014
@blarey yeah some of the early filler arcs were good but i hate skippin them cuz they mess up my days watched thingy :[

@DraTreu4 yeah totally they got me into some great shows like Another, also i try to get back at them with shows i know they'll hate like Space Dandy lol
Feb 12, 2017 5:01 PM
Jul 2018
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu is a prime example of that mostly. I really really wanted to like it, I really really wanted it to be good, but the show didn't really got to me neither were the characters nor the writing.

JoJo Part 4 was another example though, I heard so many good things about Part 4 and I really wanted to like it too, but... the content itself is mediocre at best, not as exciting compared to the 3 parts (I dropped it because I got tired of it, lost interest, plus few people made me feel disgusted about the franchise, while I wouldn't actually care for the fanbase there were certain people that gave me a bad sight towards it further)

I really also wanted Aldnoah.Zero 2nd season to be good because I thought S1 was pretty much okay, but then when Katsuhiko decided to pull shit out of his asshole then I was pissed so much.

Slayers was another show that I wanted to be good because I heard from a friend of mine that he liked it but I ended up feeling uninterested from it in the end, it feels off of course.

Berserk 2016 was a show that while I had very low expectations towards it, and I won't deny it, I really wanted it to be at least decent, but it wasn't and instead I got a big shit pile of trash, even as a manga reader.

Other Examples: Log Horizon 2nd Season, Lance N Masques, Comet Lucifer, Hibike Euphonium, Yoru no Yatterman, Arslan Senki, Ranpo Kitan, Ushio to Tora, Zutto Mae kara Suki deshita.: Kokuhaku Jikkou Iinkai and few others.
Feb 12, 2017 5:02 PM

Jan 2014
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
I enjoyed first half, it was unique and crazy. Second half was boring and they overdone with transformations. I know it was symbolic, but it was too boring.
Feb 12, 2017 11:21 PM

Jun 2015
sasalx said:
Ironically it's SAO for me. I really liked the theme and starting point of the plot but oh well.

Takamura-sama said:

I wonder what did you expected from that show.

Everyone kept saying it was a good romance and I expected a second clannad. and I got a worse anime than Pupa
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - 8 hours ago

40 by redorzo »»
2 minutes ago

» Muskoku Tensei is the antithesis of Evangelion ( 1 2 )

ShuisBased2 - Jan 15

64 by Sorachin »»
6 minutes ago

» Characters that ya think are a Genderbent You

IpreferEcchi - Apr 15

31 by Meusnier »»
8 minutes ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

92 by dayooooon »»
19 minutes ago

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - Yesterday

35 by phantom346 »»
21 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.