Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 12, 2017 11:18 AM

Aug 2016
would like to know if there is any romance or if its just that black hair guy being edgy and pretending to be depressed, saw a gif that looked like there is romance but uh ye i thought i'd ask first, dont wanna waste my time on a show like this just to see sum edgy kid tryna not kill himself

but if i have the wrong first impression of these show plz tell me
Feb 12, 2017 11:40 AM

Sep 2014
Calling this edgy with a Punpun ava? Sigh.

To answer your question though, from what I've seen there isn't really any romance focus.

GokuFeb 25, 2017 10:15 PM
Feb 12, 2017 1:02 PM

Apr 2016
No romance so far.
Mar 20, 2017 6:40 AM

Dec 2015
Re-using this thread since I have a few questions as well:

I'm not against calm shows. I have watched (and liked): Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso, Ping Pong, Natsume Yuujinchou. They had either romance or a few different interesting male chars besides the male main character.

But for anime from studio SHAFT ... I haven't watched a lot. Usually I already know from the description that I would not like them. And the few I have watched were average at best. Also I don't like their art style. Only great anime from this studio which I've seen was Madoka.

My question about 3-gatsu no Lion is:
Will there be a lot of interesting male characters besides the main? A rival maybe? And how much screentime are they getting later in the series?

I have watched episode 1. That ugly looking rival at the end seemed interesting. (Would be better if there were more chars like him later ... rivals at the age of the main char.) Teacher and the old guy that played shogi against the main seemed interesting.

I did not like the 3 sisters (youngest is annoying - middle and oldest are sometimes okay, sometimes annoying especialle the middle one when she's noisy). And their grandfather didn't seem interesting as well. Only the cats were fun. But too much comedy there. (Absolutely against it.)

Now I'm a bit afraid (since the sisters are the only chars listed as "main" besides the male main) that they might get a lot of screentime later instead of other male chars and shogi/rivalry (which I'm mainly interested).

Should I watch more of it? Tbh at the moment (after episode 1) I'm not too motivated. I saw the high score (8+) on MAL and it is getting a 2nd season. And 1st episode wasn't that bad. But it didn't get me interested that much and there is sooo much other stuff to watch and to spend my time on.
Mar 20, 2017 7:47 AM
Dec 2016
Yeah as the show progresses there are quite a few more characters that show up. And for the most part each new character that shows up help Rei grow as a person, whether they be rivals mentors or friends.

And as for your concerns with the sisters, in my opinion I find that the comedy aspects do help give a nice break from the overall bleak tone of the show ans as characters they really help show give and Rei what being a family is. So they're there with a purpose.

You should definitely keep on going, Even stand-alone the first season of 3-gatsu no Lion is worth a watch!
Mar 20, 2017 9:54 AM

Apr 2016
Luthandorius said:

Should I watch more of it?

No. There's a kind of antagonist and he's not the one you think but it's not explored fully (no closure) and it's only a little part of the story. There are a lot of male characters and the other shogi rivals are giving more of an helping hand, they are mostly very friendly people. There's a lot of comedy. Reading you had a problem with the sisters and the grand father, seeing that you have quite a different taste, you shouldn't waste your time with this show. It's probably not for you.
Mar 20, 2017 10:08 AM
Jul 2018
So far from where I am at... no there is no romance. It's mostly about how Rei develops through his past life and goes through it, as well developing and learning, getting better at shogi. There's other aspects too like how he explores loneliness and his dilemma, such such.
Mar 20, 2017 10:12 AM

Dec 2015
I think I'll give it a few more episodes. Watching too much at 1 day might get me bored. Watching it too slowly (only 1 episode per week) ... and I might lose interest. Every now and then (maybe 1-2 episodes each day) - that's what I'll try.

Haven't seen too much of the grandfather yet and the mood with the oldest sister + that other shougi guy (that seems to like her) when they were drinking was nice.

I have watched episode 2 now. The cats are nice (makes the scenes with the sisters more endurable and there was a bit darker/sad mood at the end when he left). And the amount of screen time with the sisters was okay. At least for episodes 1 +2.

Enough screen time with other male characters and I liked that there are guys of different ages. Not only the older males like teacher or his opponent in episode 1 but also those older guys like his opponent in episode 2 (the guy that likes oldest sister that is 26 years old) - he is older but not too old and can still manage a youthful/friendly relationship with the main as if they were the same age.

Only bad thing I noticed: There seems to be a lot of recap (at least at the beginning of episode 2 - I hope there'll be less in the next episodes). About 2 minutes recap of the previous episode. And a lot of people nowadays already complain if there are a few seconds (where I don't complain). But this was a lot.
Mar 20, 2017 10:15 AM

Dec 2014
No romance so far but the life moments get you thinking now and then...
Mar 20, 2017 12:22 PM
Jul 2018
I think this anime is exceptional that it is not possible to watch no more than 1 episode in single day.
Mar 31, 2017 7:18 PM

Dec 2015
Luthandorius said:
I think I'll give it a few more episodes. Watching too much at 1 day might get me bored. Watching it too slowly (only 1 episode per week) ... and I might lose interest. Every now and then (maybe 1-2 episodes each day) - that's what I'll try.

Haven't seen too much of the grandfather yet and the mood with the oldest sister + that other shougi guy (that seems to like her) when they were drinking was nice.

I have watched episode 2 now. The cats are nice (makes the scenes with the sisters more endurable and there was a bit darker/sad mood at the end when he left). And the amount of screen time with the sisters was okay. At least for episodes 1 +2.

Enough screen time with other male characters and I liked that there are guys of different ages. Not only the older males like teacher or his opponent in episode 1 but also those older guys like his opponent in episode 2 (the guy that likes oldest sister that is 26 years old) - he is older but not too old and can still manage a youthful/friendly relationship with the main as if they were the same age.

Only bad thing I noticed: There seems to be a lot of recap (at least at the beginning of episode 2 - I hope there'll be less in the next episodes). About 2 minutes recap of the previous episode. And a lot of people nowadays already complain if there are a few seconds (where I don't complain). But this was a lot.

I think you will appreciate the second half a lot more, The male shogi rivals you wished for in your earlier post, appear at a later point in the story. And they all are very different, interesting characters of all ages, backgrounds and also very unique in their relationship with Rei.
Many viewers complained about the lack of the sisters in the second half, so just stick around a little longer, you'll be rewarded~
Apr 1, 2017 12:32 AM

Dec 2015
Okay I'll give another reply in this thread - since I have watched a few episodes now and started to like it.

I started to like it at episodes 3/4.

Main reason was Nikaido.

I think episode 5 was the best so far. Until 8 it was a bit less good. Haven't watched more (didn't have the time yet).

More topics from this board

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 17, 2016

161 by LotteGiants »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 3, 2016

162 by LotteGiants »»
Yesterday, 3:29 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 5, 2016

168 by LotteGiants »»
Apr 22, 8:05 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 22, 2016

157 by LotteGiants »»
Apr 21, 11:56 PM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 7, 2017

149 by little_raven »»
Apr 9, 7:55 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.