Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Feb 13, 2017 11:50 PM

Oct 2008
Another very good episode!
Surprisingly Nikaidou seems more mature and resolved than Kiriyama.
LOL at the Chairman messing with Kiriyama-wama!
Kyouko finally and accidentally met the three sisters! Kawamoto sisters! Momo's terrified! Akari is level headed & Hinata is so worried for Kiriyama!
for a moment I want to kill that Kyouko bitch for saying to Kiriyama that he might destroy that family of three sisters.
Kyouko is a glutton for eating almost all the food Hinata prepared for Kiriyama!
I feel so good that Kyouko felt the sense/feeling of defeat when she realized that Akari is almost the same age as her but Akari is more adult looking and much much more beautiful and sexy than her!
5/5!

Feb 14, 2017 6:37 AM

Jul 2009
Ah man, seeing Shimada work so hard is so touching :3 Even though it seems like he knows he'll (probably) lose ... I hope he makes it to the 6th match to play in his hometown :D The white-haired guy is kinda scary too huh XD Anyway we get to see the sisters finally giving Rei some food while he's with Kyouko ... and more of Kyouko and their father not seeing eye to eye at all. It seems like she's reached sort of an impasse with Rei though at least? In any case Nikaidou seems to have really grown, he seems a lot more mature and sure of himself and what he wants to do. Good for you :D Plus he's promoted this year too, yayyy :3 Anyway I'm guessing the rest of the anime will cover the next month or so until the end of the tournament. I'm cheering for you Shimada!!! :P
Feb 14, 2017 10:42 AM
Jan 2013
I understand he's struggling with life, but I really wish he would stop being such a pussy and tell her to fuck off at least once. Her character is so fucking annoying. She spews hateful insults, definitely worthy of him telling her off, and he lets it go. Then she goes to his house AGAIN and eats all his food? Wut?
KougaiFeb 14, 2017 10:45 AM
Feb 14, 2017 11:03 AM

Mar 2016
Reaper71 said:
Kyouko is what puts this show over the top for me. The way her interactions with Rei bring out other sides of both of them is the most organic character development I've seen in an anime in a long time. Bringing the sisters into the mix just made the whole thing a lot more interesting as well.

Couldn't have said it better myself. The writing is superb, and the interactions between Kyouko and Rei are just so entertaining to watch.
Feb 14, 2017 1:44 PM

Feb 2008
Hina is a formidable woman... And, unexpectedly, Kyouko appears to be a glutton.

The glimpses into the world of shogi and the mindsets of its denizens were captivating, yet again. Curiously enough, for Rei, Souya may be a sign of things to come (an embodiment of his aspirations and pitfalls), The stark contrast between the characters intrigues me.
Feb 14, 2017 5:51 PM

Jun 2015
Loved the episode! One of the best things about this show is the three sisters
Feb 14, 2017 11:54 PM

Jan 2010
Momo and Nikaidou are both too pure, those two always make an episode more enjoyable for me.

interested to see how they're gonna wrap the series up in the next five episodes though, makes me wonder if there might be a chance for a second season.
nougatFeb 14, 2017 11:59 PM
Feb 16, 2017 7:22 PM
Mar 2012
sisters vs witch quite fun interaction & badmouthing.
Both Kyouko & Rei "sinking" in their lost ocean of life goals, great imagery & something they unfortunately share. Too bright? Nikaidou might be the mature lighthouse Rei needs.
Feb 18, 2017 10:38 AM

Nov 2009
You guys, you do realize that Rei is in love with Kyouko? Torturous love but still love nonetheless and he has been since they were little. Kyouko knows it and isn't above using it, but at the same time, she has certain very complicated feelings for Rei, too. She's a strong-willed person and a tempest, but Rei possesses a kind of strength that she doesn't, and she can't help very begrudgingly admiring it and be attracted to it. And want to test it every chance she gets, which is what she's been doing with her poisonous words about Rei's upcoming opponents, for example.

There is A LOT she's in denial about and can't admit to herself because of pride, hurt, etc. Her stalking Gotou is from this category, too, very much a Daddy complex with the bonus to torture Rei a bit and shove it into his face that even if he's the chosen by their father, he's not chosen by her and can't do anything about who she chooses even if he doesn't like her choice. For all of the above, Kyouko is a character second in complexity only to Rei himself. The Kawamoto sisters, despite being mains, aren't anywhere close to her.
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Feb 18, 2017 5:59 PM

Aug 2015
Momo certainly popped out of nowhere. It left me genuinely shocked.
Feb 19, 2017 5:55 PM

Jul 2008
Gah Kyoko just needs to go!
Feb 23, 2017 5:30 AM

Mar 2013
Tbh, I love Kyouko moments in the anime.

Those sisters tho XD
Feb 25, 2017 4:19 AM

Apr 2014
Kyouko looking good as always.
Chihayafuru?
Feb 26, 2017 2:24 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Nikaido up to C-3 League, the same to Rei!!!!
Feb 26, 2017 2:35 PM
Apr 2014
man... his sister had such a shitty attitude already but eating his food really crossed the line. Now Rei won't get anything of the food Akari and Hinata made :< he even had to eat that shitty instant ramen again. Honestly I wish we'd see her less often. There also isn't much progress and we didn't get to hear more about their past together (srsly there was this one flashback Rei had a while ago. It was rather unsettling and we still don't know what exactly happened)
Feb 28, 2017 3:18 AM

Mar 2009
Kyouko is such a fascinating character.

Loved Momo and Hina's reactions to Kyouko, btw. Hina sticking up for Rei was wonderful.
Mar 21, 2017 5:33 AM

Mar 2015
Lel Momo's reactions to Kyouko were so cute
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Apr 5, 2017 6:55 AM

May 2012
Poor Momo was totally afraid :( Pretty nice episode and some strong character and story development! Let's see what's next though.
Apr 13, 2017 10:19 AM

Jan 2014
poor Kyouko she just want to be loved.
I find it Kyouko is an interesting character, she's in a state which both hate and love for the same person, Rei.

I'm wondering if there will be romantic relationship between them, which is I already guess they actually have that feelings a little bit, judging by Rei "past" with Kyouko in that room.

and I also wondering which one the three sister would fall more for Rei, I personally prefer Akari x Rei rather than Hina x Rei, since Akari is the one who brought Rei into her family. Momo is out of question.
Jun 4, 2017 3:34 AM

May 2016
One of the best episodes loved every second.
Jun 6, 2017 6:31 AM
Aug 2014
Kyouko does whatever she wants and when she gets called out by her father she runs to Rei for support and plays the victim, because she certainly won't get it any support from Gotou.
Jul 2, 2017 6:02 AM
Nov 2014
Man I don't know who to hate more rei because he can't stand up for himself or that lunatic bitch who is trying to get sympathy. Kyouko seriously ruined this show for me.
Jul 24, 2017 9:23 AM

Dec 2015
Honestly I don't know what to think of Kiriyama's sister. At one moment I wanna choke the bitch, and the next I feel sorry for her.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Aug 16, 2017 3:15 AM

Apr 2015
I like Kyouko as a character...her presence livens up the show a lot, in differing ways
But her scenes do seem a little pointless, she didn't really progress much(yet?)
Oct 19, 2017 1:08 PM

Nov 2011
Good character building, as usual. Also interesting is the construction of interpersonal bonds and their evolution, this is the strong point of this anime series, but narration remains a fist in the stomach whenever it is. In the end Rei's sister-in-law is not bad, it would be nice if she met with the three sisters, it would be interesting to see. Momo is too sweet, Hinata has the courage to sell, good!
Aug 23, 2018 5:45 PM

Apr 2015
Kyouko is written to be the worst, right? I don't see how anyone could sympathize with a girl who emotionally abuses Rei and then crashes at his place/eats his food.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Nov 4, 2018 5:12 PM
Oct 2018
I hate how Rei let's her walk all over him, it makes me feel really overwhelmed by sadness, I much prefer the lovely character development with Rei and the sisters. I'd much prefer if Kyouko wasn't in it because as CatSoul say's, she continually emotionally abuses Rei with little to no self reflection and redemptive qualities.
Haruhi_KaminaNov 4, 2018 5:17 PM
Dec 30, 2018 1:54 PM
Jul 2018
What the fuck? That bitch Kyouko ate the food Hina and Akari made. Rei let it happen? Damn, this is frustrating.

4/5 episode.
Jan 2, 2019 5:05 PM

Jun 2015
kyouko makes me super mad, i hate how she keeps on abusing rei emotionally and he just kind of lets it happen.
Feb 15, 2019 1:32 PM

May 2016
Souya's appearance was really well animated and when they cut of the sound made it even more interesting for me.

Kinda late for this but I will say it, Kyouko is really a copy of Asuka from NGE.
Feb 19, 2019 6:29 PM
Apr 2018
Meh, the first part about the shogi finals bored me quite a bit (except Shouya's smile. Wtf?!) but after that it improved a lot.

It's like Rei is in love with Kyouko and she knows it so she knows she can toy with him all she wants. She even eat the sister's food!!! Rei is really dumb: don't ever leave your dinner unprotected.

Momo ready to save the day hahaha. What a cute little child.
Feb 28, 2019 9:25 AM
Jan 2016
At this point you just want to hug Kyouko and send her to a qualified therapist.
Mar 27, 2019 10:59 AM

Feb 2013
Momo and Hina's reactions towards that fight were super funny, I loved it!
I'm starting to feel sorry for Kyouko's current situation.
Jun 3, 2019 11:01 PM

Sep 2017

You tell her Momo.

Shimada lost the first match. I hope he gets to win at least two so he can play in his hometown, although that sounds like a huge wall to climb. Souya seems to be popping up a lot. Will he become more significant down the line? I'm not sure how I should feel about Kyouko. I always feel conflicted when she appears. On one hand, she is completely a witch like Momo said, but on the other, she seems to have very real and very troubling issues plaguing her. I guess that's just a testament to how complex these characters are.
Jun 28, 2019 3:25 AM

Sep 2015
Picking this again after dropping it when it aired the first time. Seeing the high rating of season 2 has tempted by to give the series another chance.

I hate her, but Kyouko is really a well written character.
Jun 28, 2019 5:59 PM
Jul 2018
I feel like the show is really trying hard to make me feel bad for Kyouko at times and I just can't do it. I hate her so much and every time I see her touch Rei I openly cringe.
Random note, I was going to keep watching but damn if I just really love the ED song so I had to stop to go listen to Bootleg for the 10000 time.
Oct 3, 2019 7:06 AM

Jul 2015
Lmao momo appearing out of nowhere, totally scared

Damn that witch for eating the food and blaming Rei for all kinds of things without taking a look at herself first

Oct 14, 2019 6:22 PM

Sep 2018
Yes Momo-chan!! She's a witch!!! I missed this 3 sisters.. Hina give him obento and give dagger look to that bitch !! That bitch is really really really annoying!!! I hate that she's in the scene with the 3 sisters! I can't completely skip it! I hate Rei still talk to that girl ! He should leave her and go with the sisters instead!

Why she's eating Rei's bento!!?? Grrrrrrrr
I skip again!!!
Jun 7, 2020 11:00 AM

Nov 2010
The sister really is a bully.
Jul 12, 2020 2:56 PM

Dec 2015
That bitch just ate all of his food! Unforgivable.
Sep 14, 2020 1:31 PM

May 2018
That bitch Kyouko-san is back :( :(

At least she left at the end
Oct 4, 2020 6:03 PM

Jul 2014
I can't stand Kyouko. The type of person who hates their life and has to drag down the people around her to feel better. She reminds of Asuka from Eva. On one hand you have the MC who has his own issues but bottles it up inside and then you have the attention seeking whore who has to find a target to blame and wallow in misery instead of trying to change for the better like the MC is doing.
Feb 7, 2021 2:45 AM
Apr 2016
Rewatch here:

This episode exposes just how impressive people like Magnus Carlsen in the world of chess truly are, made me continually think about him and some other chess players. Souya's presence is just something else, just like I remembered, he's like a ghost with an incredibly mysterious and interesting feeling attached to him. The chemistry between Rei and Kyouko is also still the same for me, still the most interesting part of the series.
Mar 28, 2021 12:30 PM

Aug 2018
Hm.. If you're not sure, if you need to tell your adoptive father about Kyouko or not.. How about you just tell to him something like.. "I think you need to talk with Kyouko yourself. And ask about things herself. She'll tell you better how her life is going. Better than me." Because, really, they need to talk anyway.. And Kyouko this way will be able to tell or not to tell, what she wants..
Rei quite likes Souya, hm.. Or he doesn't?.. Not sure.. As he knows about him so much, and sings the best praises for him in the mind.. But also in the end question, if he's not the devil, in the end.. So don't know, what Rei feels about Souya.. But it feels that Rei is quite interested in him.. Wonder, why?..
Well.. Kyouko, you really need to decide, what you want.. That's all what I'd personally want.. But it's your life, and for you to decide..
So Rei failed succeeding the school year?.. Is that the case?.. Or it's just most possible thing that will happen?.. Either way.. Why he needs to go to school anyway?.. I don't think he necessary have to.. If it's all about relationships, you can get them in different place.. In my opinion, school is really taking a lot from you, and not giving you too much in return.. You'd better invest this time into your job, or working on your relationships, on something else.. What you want in life.. You don't need education with your job prospects.. But it's all my opinion.. You already achieving quite a lot, what not everyone achieves.. So even if you'll have some waste at school - not a tragedy, I guess..
Jul 10, 2021 4:22 AM
Mar 2021
i think kyouko just became my favorite charechter in the series after rei
Oct 25, 2021 5:02 PM

Sep 2016
Good that we managed to get more of an insight into Kyouko's mindset. It made a little easier to sympathize with her, altough I don't condone nothing that she has done up till now. She dug her own "grave", and is still pretty mean, but I can't help but feel sorry for her.

On another note:

Gotta love Nikaidou! Seriously, what a lad.
Oct 25, 2021 5:07 PM

Sep 2016
Gendolfas said:
Either way.. Why he needs to go to school anyway?.. I don't think he necessary have to.. If it's all about relationships, you can get them in different place.. In my opinion, school is really taking a lot from you, and not giving you too much in return.. You'd better invest this time into your job, or working on your relationships, on something else.. What you want in life.. You don't need education with your job prospects.. But it's all my opinion..

Most full-time jobs require that you complete high school. He looked through jobs before and all of them had this requirement. He doesn't want to depend on shogi so he wants to complete high school and be able to decide his future for himself.
Oct 27, 2021 11:50 PM

Dec 2020
Sangatsu no lion is best!!!!!!!!!
Nov 2, 2021 9:50 AM
Jul 2020
This episode was the first time for Momo-chan say "Witch" to a girl. Gotta admit that. Yes, Kyouko, you deserve that name.
Hina-chan also shows her cares about Rei. I really love it.
Rei, you should always be in her side. She is a nice girl.
Also, I think Nikaidou is a type of friend that everybody should have. He is a best friend and best rival.
Dec 31, 2021 1:31 PM
Nov 2020
I really like Kyoko's small moments of vulnerability. They're just often enough to where I can't fully hate her. The way she realizes how Akane's cooking is really good, therefore she can't fully accept Akane as the leech on Rei she wants to pretend she is to make Rei feel bad. The realization compounds back on her bringing her back to the reality where she realizes she's just being petty to make herself feel better. Same with Momo and Hina too.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 17, 2016

161 by LotteGiants »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 3, 2016

162 by LotteGiants »»
Apr 23, 3:29 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 5, 2016

168 by LotteGiants »»
Apr 22, 8:05 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 22, 2016

157 by LotteGiants »»
Apr 21, 11:56 PM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 7, 2017

149 by little_raven »»
Apr 9, 7:55 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.