Forum Settings
Forums

How can people get truly invested with characters in non-long running shows?

New
Feb 8, 2017 7:02 PM

Dec 2016
I see that many people have in their favorites characters from shows with less than 50 episodes, and for the sake of simplicity; equal or less than the typical 24-26 episodes show (with no sequels or rip-offs).

Developing strong feelings, bonds or affinity to characters for whatever reason you end up liking, that usually takes time.

Is a natural thing; it's really hard to become close friends or develop strong bonds to someone you have just interacted with for a little time span, like a few weeks or even some months. It is time the factor that strengthens the fondness.

So I guess the same principle applies to characters in any type of show; a lot of time is needed, and a lot of time means a lot of episodes. But in the typical 24-26 or less episodes show, there is not enough room for this to be allowed; since in general they narrate a single issue, and almost a third is used to just introduce the world and the main conflict, the characters, their backgrounds, personalities and goals, and just somewhere in the middle, when you happen to start developing feelings towards them, the series starts the process of culmination...and that's it. It becomes something just anecdotal, not structural. And when this happens, any feeling that might have been starting to grow, since it is not allowed to keep growing, quickly fades and disappears.

That's one of the reasons I like long-running shows (at least, 50+); they actually allow the enough time for the viewer to get truly and deeply connected to the characters, for whatever personal reason. I can't say the same for short series, where I usually get more interested in the story developed rather than the characters.

So for all of you who can actually get really interested in characters in short-series, how do you do it? In general, how many episodes does it take you to get interested in them enough to become your favorites?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Feb 8, 2017 7:07 PM
May 2015
Nah, for me. I need at least 5 or 10 episodes to get invested in a character. Hell, it took me at least 3-4 episodes to like a character named "Suou Amane" from Grisaia no Kajitsu because of her personality and
I don't need over 50 episodes to develop feelings or bonds or whatever for said character. That's waaaay too long for me.

The same can be said for another one of my favourite characters "Homura Akemi" from Puella Magi Madoka Magica. It took at least 10 episodes for her to become one of my favourite characters because

jc9622Feb 8, 2017 7:17 PM

Feb 8, 2017 7:08 PM

Jul 2015
Because of good writing..........
-
-

γ€Œ π˜›π˜©π˜¦ 𝘡𝘳𝘢𝘡𝘩 π˜ͺ𝘴, 𝘐 𝘯𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳 𝘀𝘩𝘒𝘯𝘨𝘦π˜₯. π˜‰π˜­π˜’π˜€π˜¬ 𝘡𝘰 𝘸𝘩π˜ͺ𝘡𝘦 π˜ͺ𝘴 𝘴𝘡π˜ͺ𝘭𝘭 𝘨𝘳𝘦𝘺. 」
◐ - βœ‰

-
Feb 8, 2017 7:10 PM

Jun 2015
Uh no, the logic of time=fondness isn't true.

By that virtue, you'd like all your classmates.

What would be more accurate gauge is appreciation, or maybe attention, if you want a quantitative scale.
Feb 8, 2017 7:13 PM
Apr 2016
Maybe that character just clicks with you?

A well thought out character doesn't need 50+ episodes to be explained. Also fandom helps expand a show beyond what it presents.
Feb 8, 2017 7:18 PM

Oct 2014
It all depends on the writing in the anime. Smile Precure was a fun anime with fun characters, but they weren't all that interesting. Noucome was only 10 episodes but it had one character who I loved so much that I put her in my favourites (I actually gave Smile Precure a higher score than Noucome, but good characters don't directly translate to a good anime).
Feb 8, 2017 7:21 PM
Feb 2017
I 100% get where you're coming from nry. For me it's easier with long shows because you, if you'll forgive my cheese, go through more with the characters. I don't really read manga but it's the same with books; long series typically make me love characters more. However I have definitely fallen in love with character from shorter shows, or even after a short period of time. Lelouch grew on me very quickly (Code Geasse) for example. My guess is that when people fall in love with a character quickly it's because the resonate with them in some way, appreciate the major events that these characters are quickly thrown into, or are simply intrigued by the character due to personal preference. The third case could be due to a preference for some archetype, appreciation for something different, etc. Simply put though in most cases it does come down to good writing and you don't really need to dig much deeper haha
Feb 8, 2017 7:37 PM

Jun 2015
Strong writing that resonates with its audience creates characters that leave strong impressions with people. Shows that are deliberate and careful about developing believable, effective characters often often resonate better than shows that are more focused on action and plot devices.

I've actually really liked shows that do double length first episodes. Gets most of the exposition out of the way, and has plenty of time to establish key characters before proceeding with story.
Feb 8, 2017 8:17 PM

Jul 2011
Cinema is one of the most popular forms of storytelling for at least 100 years and most movies are just about 90 to 120 minutes long. If they can present great characters that resonate with a large number of people in so little time, then an anime has to have at minimum the same power when they have at least double the time [when the show has 12/13 episodes] to present them.
Feb 8, 2017 8:25 PM

Nov 2013
It is easy when the show is all focus in its character's mentality like Ping pong or Rakugo Shinjuu.
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Feb 8, 2017 8:29 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
A good script with good character moments is all you need fam.
Feb 8, 2017 8:34 PM

Nov 2013
I was going to engage in this because it's absurd to say only long running shows can give you good characters that are worth getting invested in and then I saw that your top anime mostly consists of Shonen Jump titles and you haven't actually seen that much.
Feb 8, 2017 9:18 PM

Mar 2008
Feb 8, 2017 9:43 PM

Nov 2009
nry said:
So I guess the same principle applies to characters in any type of show; a lot of time is needed, and a lot of time means a lot of episodes. But in the typical 24-26 or less episodes show, there is not enough room for this to be allowed; since in general they narrate a single issue, and almost a third is used to just introduce the world and the main conflict, the characters, their backgrounds, personalities and goals, and just somewhere in the middle, when you happen to start developing feelings towards them, the series starts the process of culmination...and that's it. It becomes something just anecdotal, not structural. And when this happens, any feeling that might have been starting to grow, since it is not allowed to keep growing, quickly fades and disappears.

This is where a lot of people make a mistake. No, I don't really need 1/3 of the show to get introduced to a school setting, a generic fantasy setting or a ordinary sci-fi setting.
By the time I've seen the first episode of Dirty Pair, I already knew everything I needed to know about the setting.
No, I don't need much time to get to know a generic harem protagonist or his tsundere love interest either. In fact, in one episode of anime I get to know the characters better than most people in my life!
As for feelings and time to grow, it really works when you're watching an anime week-by-week, instead of rushing through it all at once.
But most of the time, I know I'm liking a character after a few episodes. In extreme cases, after a single scene.
Tropes are not bad, they are a good way of skipping straight to the good stuff.

nry said:
So for all of you who can actually get really interested in characters in short-series, how do you do it? In general, how many episodes does it take you to get interested in them enough to become your favorites?

When I was just starting anime, I remember being in love with Arcueid after a mere 12-episode anime.
As for my current favorites: I liked Kono Ayumi the Loups=Garous after a single movie.
Shiroe of Log Horizon earned his place in my favorites after the second arc, when he did his first awesome thing.
Len I met in a visual novel, and visual novel time does not easily converts to anime time.
I only added Kurihara Nagisa and Kajiwara Sora after I began reading the manga, so it probably took some time.
Nagato Yuki and Ayase Yue are just my most favorite examples of a type of characters I love a lot. Yue became my favorite far into the manga, as she proved herself to be a great friend. And I don't remember how it was with Nagato Yuki.
Feb 8, 2017 9:45 PM
Jul 2016
Kaworu Nagisa from Evangelion is one of my favorite characters ever,and he literally showed up for only 1 episode. I don't really know why I like him so much and how it is even possible that I developed this feeling in 20 minutes of episode xD
Feb 8, 2017 9:53 PM

Jan 2010
I think it also comes down to the amount of characters that are focused on, a lot of long running shows have time to dedicate to fleshing out a larger cast of characters and are usually able to introduce more. Shorter shows are more focused on a specific group of characters or sometimes even one major character and we are made to focus entirely on their developments. There are plenty of series able to focus on a large cast and include decent character development though, such as Baccano.
Plus with good writing and pacing you really don't need a lot of time to get to know or empathise with a character, take a lot of Ghibli films for example they are usually about average movie length but I don't think that has ever stopped me from feeling attachment to their characters.
Feb 8, 2017 9:59 PM

Feb 2010
I agree that it's much easier to get attached to characters in long-running show. After 30-50 episodes it basically happens automatically if the show doesn't majorly screws up.

For short shows it's harder and rarer, but if they're well written and executed it's definitely possible.

Also if you watch a 1 or 2-cour show weekly while it airs they can feel much longer than the episode count might indicate. Spending 3-6 months with characters is a long time to get attached to them.

And lastly one can grow more attached over time by rewatching shows. When you've seen a 2-cour show a couple of times it amounts to the same time you spend on a 100+ episode series.
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 8, 2017 10:08 PM

Jun 2015
It's just quality writing, mate... I MUCH prefer shorter shows, long-running shows are where characters typically fall flat for me. With a few exceptions, they overstay their welcome; there's more room for inconsistencies in the way they behave or what they say which breaks my immersion. Short, tightly written shows should have the character basics completely laid out in ONE (maybe two) episode and then proceed to explore these characters (without the use of filler and exposition) until the end, where typically we see the end result of this character's growth. This is where I believe that connection to the character can become very strong and relatable, especially if you've experienced some similar struggles or events in your own life.
Feb 8, 2017 10:30 PM

Oct 2016
I believe it can also have to do with the mood or the personality type of the characters. For example, Nagisa from Clannad has a very nice Personality but it's not too needy at the same time. It also has to to with the protagonist and how you put yourself in their shoes. Combining these two together you almost feel like you are in the show your self after enough episodes. Then if something bad happens
it could really affect the viewer of the show. so in the end it's the character's personality, synergy with other characters in the story, and the writing all together that will determine if you can become attached to the characters and the show altogether.

I am sure there are many more points from this show that can be made but that's what I'll say for that particular show dome examples.
Feb 8, 2017 10:32 PM

Dec 2016
By that logic, how could anyone ever become invested in movie characters?

For me, I can usually tell right away if I'm going to really, really like a character. I have a specific type of character that I usually find cool and likable, so unless they're very poorly written I'll be invested in them. I also tend to think the shorter series are a little better than the really long "gateway" series, but that's just me.
rypo59Feb 8, 2017 10:37 PM
Feb 8, 2017 10:33 PM

Mar 2015
Brb said:

What would be more accurate gauge is appreciation, or maybe attention, if you want a quantitative scale.

This probably something i whole heartedly agree...

invested not started by time, but understanding and relate...

lets take glasslip for example... you can't literaly investing to character, because you basicly can't relate and understanding what the fuck they doing, despite they are mainly SOL that character centered...

but in other hand...

4 minutes, just 4 minutes! watch it.. you wouldn't regret it... it's also on mal..
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Feb 8, 2017 10:36 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
just masturbate to them.... what better way to show you love the character?
Feb 8, 2017 10:37 PM

Nov 2013
FriendlyKebab said:
Kaworu Nagisa from Evangelion is one of my favorite characters ever,and he literally showed up for only 1 episode. I don't really know why I like him so much and how it is even possible that I developed this feeling in 20 minutes of episode xD

he actually showed up for about 8 minutes and 26 seconds lmao
but heck yes good taste mah dude
Feb 8, 2017 10:48 PM

Dec 2016
traplordkaworu said:

I've always thought that exact same thing about him. Asuka is the same way to a lesser extent, as she's not even in the first third of the series. Their popularity is inordinate to their amount of screen time. Then Shinji is the least popular of the main cast despite getting by far the most characterization and time! Reminds me of how Boba Fett is one of the most popular Star Wars characters despite having 4 lines in the trilogy.

I note that in the Rebuilds Kaworu is way more prominent. Have to think that was Anno either nodding to Kaworu's fans or
Feb 8, 2017 10:48 PM

Apr 2016
Ever heard of "love at first sight" lol. Joking aside, well-built characters don't need much time to win my heart, it may also depend on the directing skill of the producer to highlight the climax => i fell for it.
Feb 8, 2017 10:53 PM

Nov 2013
RP59 said:
traplordkaworu said:

I've always thought that exact same thing about him. Asuka is the same way to a lesser extent, as she's not even in the first third of the series. Their popularity is inordinate to their amount of screen time. Then Shinji is the least popular of the main cast despite getting by far the most characterization and time! Reminds me of how Boba Fett is one of the most popular Star Wars characters despite having 4 lines in the trilogy.

I note that in the Rebuilds Kaworu is way more prominent. Have to think that was Anno either nodding to Kaworu's fans or

Exactly. It's all about how the story is told. Not every good story requires 50+ episodes. In fact, I see it usually as the opposite. If I can't get a good feel and connection for the characters in at least 5 episodes, it usually disappoints me.
But also, I really hope the Rebuilds end up being in the Time Loop Theory. Kaworu was incredibly self aware for them not to be, but hey, Anno loves throwing us for a.. well, loop. Wouldn't be surprised if the bastard went way out into left field with the last rebuild.

And also, Shinji deserves all the love.
Feb 8, 2017 11:00 PM

Nov 2009
RP59 said:
traplordkaworu said:

I've always thought that exact same thing about him. Asuka is the same way to a lesser extent, as she's not even in the first third of the series. Their popularity is inordinate to their amount of screen time. Then Shinji is the least popular of the main cast despite getting by far the most characterization and time!

It's not "despite". It's "because". Shinji is a very realistic character, and is easy to dislike because he is realistic.
Or, if one looks from the other angle, it's because Shinji is the kind of person you are, not the kind of person you want as a friend/lover. But he also doesn't have a "blank" personality like many proper self-insert characters, he is weak, and the viewers hate him like they hate their own weaknesses.
Feb 8, 2017 11:10 PM

Jul 2014
>Implying all anime stories go at the same pace.
>Implying relationships IRL are analogous with connections you build with characters in anime.

Dude.. what?

And then you ask how we do it. Here's my short, personal answer: The morals, acts, personal philosophy, goals, and temperament influence most of what I like in my favorite characters. How funny they are matters too but I think that is part of the person's temperament.
Feb 8, 2017 11:13 PM

Mar 2014
Yuugen_ said:
How OP does not comprehend this is beyond me.
Feb 8, 2017 11:17 PM

Dec 2016
flannan said:

It's not "despite". It's "because". Shinji is a very realistic character, and is easy to dislike because he is realistic.
Or, if one looks from the other angle, it's because Shinji is the kind of person you are, not the kind of person you want as a friend/lover. But he also doesn't have a "blank" personality like many proper self-insert characters, he is weak, and the viewers hate him like they hate their own weaknesses.

Wow, very well put. I've had those thoughts about him before but never enunciated them that clearly. I definitely think part of what makes watching Shinji fail or cower so frustrating is the thought that, in that situation, I'd probably be the same way. Certainly when I was his age I would've been as bad or worse. He's like the antithesis of a power fantasy.

Unlike a lot of people, I don't hate Shinji. Too well-written for that, IMO. I do hate some of his behavior (one scene in particular that you can probably figure out without me specifying), but I think you're supposed to.

traplordkaworu said:

But also, I really hope the Rebuilds end up being in the Time Loop Theory. Kaworu was incredibly self aware for them not to be, but hey, Anno loves throwing us for a.. well, loop. Wouldn't be surprised if the bastard went way out into left field with the last rebuild.

Oh yeah man, you know he's gonna mindfuck us again...or maybe the decade long process of making the Rebuilds is the mindfuck this time lol But seriously, I bet you it winds up being something pretty crazy. I also bet that not a single frame from the preview at the end of 3.0 winds up in there.
Feb 8, 2017 11:25 PM

Dec 2013
Personally I think running time is maybe the least important factor. If it were Captain then all those ridiculously long c/tw/k dramas should be character study masterpieces - they're not lol. Hell, I've found shorts like House of Small Cubes and Father & Daughter more poignant and affecting than the "character development" of entire series.
Feb 8, 2017 11:55 PM

Oct 2013
I don't think length matters that much when it comes to characters
after all I could tell I would like Soushi just by his first few scenes

its about having a strong first impression in my opinion
Feb 9, 2017 12:03 AM

Dec 2016
Brb said:

I'm not saying that time alone will make you automatically get fond to every single person you meet. I know there are a lot of other factors implied.

But even though, not being enough, I still think it's necessary, after all -unless that thing called "love at first sight" truly exists (something that has never happened to me btw), you don't develop strong feeling towards anybody during the first week or maybe month after meeting that person...

FriendlyKebab said:

I guess it's because of the conjunction of the way he was introduced right in the zenith of the show + the very peculiar and captivating way he had to speak, to talk and to communicate with sight....it caught my attention instantaneously too, but that was it, given he showed up only in one-and-only episode I wasn't going to get attached to him...

Pullman said:

Also if you watch a 1 or 2-cour show weekly while it airs they can feel much longer than the episode count might indicate. Spending 3-6 months with characters is a long time to get attached to them.

And lastly one can grow more attached over time by rewatching shows. When you've seen a 2-cour show a couple of times it amounts to the same time you spend on a 100+ episode series.

Yeah those are good points.

RP59 said:
By that logic, how could anyone ever become invested in movie characters?

Idk...that's precisely the reason I opened this thread xD

Personally in movies, given the obvious short-run, I tend to focus more on the story and it's development rather than characters, unless it's a franchise.

For example, even though I liked the first Harry Potter movies, I didn't really started to feel warm to the main trio of friends until probably movie #4 or 5....

ziggy_Z said:
Yuugen_ said:
How OP does not comprehend this is beyond me.

I guess many are misunderstanding me here....ofc a good writing can, and generally will, make you connect with characters basically at the moment they are introduced, after all, that's mainly the reason you keep watching. I myself do not keep watching a show if after episode 3 or 4 the screenplay wasn't able to make me get interested in a single character.

But at first stage...that's it, the connection comes in the form of basic interest. To get fond of them, to get emotionally attached to them, or simply speaking getting to LOVE them....that I think are major words, and those are feelings that require time to be developed. And that's what I was pointing; how it seems that many people can develop these feelings so quick, hence the origin of my question, because no matter how well-introduced and developed a character can be in the first 10 or so episodes, thanks to a great writing, in general that for me is not enough to make me feel truly (in terms of size/amount) emotionally attached to them.
SoldierDreamFeb 9, 2017 12:13 AM
Feb 9, 2017 12:04 AM

May 2009
Sometimes it's defining moments, but sometimes it's fondness from familiarity. And sometimes it's the second one combined with a defining moment that pulls them away from you.

I generally think that one-cour (i.e. 10-13 eps) is too little time to tell a good solid story and two cours (i.e. 20-26 eps) is a reasonable rough minimum for telling a story where I can really get to know the setting and the characters and really feel immersed in their lives and feel what they feel.

"Good writing" may be a thing, but sometimes there are moments when the story feels lacking in some way but in such a way that draws me closer to a character -- for example when I find myself strongly disagreeing with the course of a story and strongly agreeing with a character who opposed that course.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Feb 9, 2017 12:18 AM

Jul 2016
It is what you called love at first sight. Personality, appearance, voice and story also influences that liking. For example, Saku Hagita of Orange I much prefer him over the main characters.
Feb 9, 2017 12:31 AM

Jul 2015
Meh. 24 eps is already 8 hours mate, that's 4 times more than a movie. It's all about the writing and directing. I'd rather get 12 eps of good characters than 50+ eps of idiots doing idiotic things
DeathkoFeb 9, 2017 2:04 AM
Feb 9, 2017 12:34 AM

May 2009
Clebardman said:
Meh. 4 eps is already 8 hours mate, that's 4 times more than a movie. It's all about the writing and directing. I'd rather get 12 eps of good characters than 50+ eps of idiots doing idiotic things

Honestly I often find a movie to be too short a time to get myself invested in the setting/characters/story.

12 eps is decent. 24 eps probably better. Diminishing returns apply to too many though.
Feb 9, 2017 12:54 AM

May 2015
Why do you view these characters like they are your friends? They're not real people. They have no physical existence. It's all out of someone's head.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Feb 9, 2017 12:57 AM

May 2009
TheBrainintheJar said:
Why do you view these characters like they are your friends? They're not real people. They have no physical existence. It's all out of someone's head.

Haven't we already done this argument already?

Well, not this particular angle of it I guess.
Feb 9, 2017 1:09 AM

Nov 2014
If they get enough screen time and character development, I don't see why not. Some characters of shows that run for ages but I still couldn't give less of a shit about them.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Feb 9, 2017 1:14 AM

Oct 2014
(Nice, OP. You contradict yourself since evangelion is in your favourites.)

Of course you can. If you think it's impossible, then how come so many new airing series score far higher than a majority of series airing for 10 years? Why do you think movies (both in west or otherwise) can be loved?
Feb 9, 2017 1:45 AM

Nov 2009
Deknijff said:

I was very confused when he did not turn out to be the traitor/mastermind with really cunning plans to ruin the MC's life, or at least take over the world. He had all the warning signs of one.
Shounen and shoujo tropes are very different, I guess.

nry said:
But even though, not being enough, I still think it's necessary, after all -unless that thing called "love at first sight" truly exists (something that has never happened to me btw), you don't develop strong feeling towards anybody during the first week or maybe month after meeting that person...does not comprehend this is beyond me.

Well, maybe not at first sight, but one of my cherished memories from school age was falling in love with a girl when she spoke to me for the first time.

nry said:
I guess many are misunderstanding me here....ofc a good writing can, and generally will, make you connect with characters basically at the moment they are introduced, after all, that's mainly the reason you keep watching. I myself do not keep watching a show if after episode 3 or 4 the screenplay wasn't able to make me get interested in a single character.

But at first stage...that's it, the connection comes in the form of basic interest. To get fond of them, to get emotionally attached to them, or simply speaking getting to LOVE them....that I think are major words, and those are feelings that require time to be developed. And that's what I was pointing; how it seems that many people can develop these feelings so quick, hence the origin of my question, because no matter how well-introduced and developed a character can be in the first 10 or so episodes, thanks to a great writing, in general that for me is not enough to make me feel truly (in terms of size/amount) emotionally attached to them.

Well, I should note that I have very different connections with my favorite characters!
Kono Ayumi and Shiroe are people I admire.
I feel Kajiwara Sora is a lot like me, in a non-generic way.
Kurihara Nagisa is the kind of person I would like to be friends with, in a sorta-selfish way.
Only Len, Nagato Yuki and Ayase Yue are characters I am attracted to in emotional way.

I think it's the same for other people - not all of their favorites are "friends" or "waifus".
Feb 9, 2017 1:53 AM

Dec 2016
Intelos said:

But that's the show as a whole, not the characters alone....I'm not listing any of it's characters as my favorites, if anyone came close to that was Asuka. I found her the most interesting character, more than Shinji even, but since the show didn't have that much episodes left when she was starting to exhibit this fully resentful attitude, I wasn't able to develop any more feelings towards her, which would have probably been the case if the show would have been longer...

Intelos said:

Of course you can. If you think it's impossible, then how come so many new airing series score far higher than a majority of series airing for 10 years? Why do you think movies (both in west or otherwise) can be loved?

I don't think it's impossible, I just say for me it's not very likely, and I wanted to know the factors that make for other people to be indeed very likely. That was all...
Feb 9, 2017 1:59 AM

Oct 2014
nry said:
Intelos said:

But that's the show as a whole, not the characters alone....I'm not listing any of it's characters as my favorites, if anyone came close to that was Asuka. I found her the most interesting character, more than Shinji even, but since the show didn't have that much episodes left when she was starting to exhibit this fully resentful attitude, I wasn't able to develop any more feelings towards her, which would have probably been the case if the show would have been longer...

Intelos said:

I don't think it's impossible, I just say for me it's not very likely, and I wanted to know the factors that make for other people to be indeed very likely. That was all...

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't trying to be cruel to you or say that you are objectively incorrect, but for me at least, a single scene can make me appreciate entire characters' purpose and writing. With long running shows, it may be easier to connect with the characters themselves obviously due to runtime, but then again, I feel that it's easier to be inconsistent with that characters' standpoint/values. Forgive me if I was too stern but I find that it's quality, not quantity of time spent.
Feb 9, 2017 2:54 AM

Oct 2013
flannan said:
Deknijff said:

I was very confused when he did not turn out to be the traitor/mastermind with really cunning plans to ruin the MC's life, or at least take over the world. He had all the warning signs of one.
Shounen and shoujo tropes are very different, I guess.
I personally never even thought of that nor the tropes of the genre
I just assumed he was a hardcore stalker
Feb 9, 2017 3:57 AM

Dec 2015
Why should people "get invested in"/"like"/"love" characters ? Those characters exist to be part of a story, not to be a simili-friend or your puppy (at least when it implicates a story).
It's terrible how many people still preach this "japanimation is all about characters".thing.

"Cinema is one of the most popular forms of storytelling for at least 100 years and most movies are just about 90 to 120 minutes long. If they can present great characters that resonate with a large number of people in so little time, then an anime has to have at minimum the same power when they have at least double the time [when the show has 12/13 episodes] to present them."

Another example: old theatre pieces telling a single day (time unity). They were the most praised storytelling a long ago.
Or novels: they take from less than two hours to a few more (unlike some people want to believe) and certain of their fictional characters have been acclaimed.
Another example: old theatre pieces telling a single day (time unity). They were the most praised storytelling a long ago.

@flannan I know this is not entirely representative of fictions, so do you. But when I read about japanese animation anywhere, it always sounds like it's mandatory. (also, the daily life things were among the "no story" category I mentioned)

=====
@GlennMagusHarvey Of course. This is still not a reason to pretend it is what makes japanese animation (whoever talks / write about those things simply does as if it was the most basic, obvious and essential part of those cartoons made in Japan. Since the 90s at least, based on my memories)
Rei_IIIFeb 9, 2017 8:51 AM
Feb 9, 2017 4:33 AM

Nov 2009
Rei366 said:
Why should people "get invested in"/"like"/"love" characters ? Those characters exist to be part of a story, not to be a simili-friend or your puppy (at least when it implicates a story).
It's terrible how many people still preach this "japanimation is all about characters".thing.

While this is not the only approach to entertainment, it is a perfectly valid one. Many slice-of-life shows seem to thrive on it.
Feb 9, 2017 6:09 AM

Apr 2015
FriendlyKebab said:

I don't know if you are trolling or not. Granted, the concept of Nagisa is interesting, but NGE executed it horribly. And by him being the pivoting/launching point of the series' conclusion, he becomes the biggest flaw in the series.

Ironically, it's the inverse with the films. We spend a significantly larger portion of time with him and the fleshing out of his relationship with Shinji in 3.0, and it makes their relationship one of the sole redeeming things of that film.
- - - - -
Going to look at my favorite characters, and WHY I like them and feel such a connection with them:
#1: Asuka Langley Soryuu (NGE/EoE)
My reason for my deep attachment with this character is based on her trauma and characterization arc mimicking a time I had experienced in life, and she as a character helped to pull me out of an out-of-control spiral of depression. This kind of relatability, when written well, doesn't require several dozen episode. Hell, Asuka was only around for 16 episodes (not even a prominent character in some of them) and the film.
#2: Homura Akemi (Madoka Magica/Rebellion)
Almost a perfect inversion of Asuka when it comes to my 'connection' with this character. I feel a deep respect to Homura due to her above-and-beyond dedication to the Titular character Madoka, and how her dedication knows no bounds, physical, magical, or moral. I can only wish to have someone or something I could dedicate to that strongly. Such dedication was the original reason we were made, anyways. This kind of relatability, rooted in desire of this character type, required a mere 12 episodes and a film.
#3: Hitagi Senjougahara (Bakemonogatari franchise)
Granted, I've only completed Bake and Nise in this franchise. My reason here is simple: She's top Tier Waifu material for me. She's straightforward, but not to the point that she's boring to talk to. IN fact, it's the opposite, as nearly every conversational piece she utters is a miraculous puzzle to solve, a never ending brain-teaser. She's rooted very firmly in the Yandere character archetype, but with a decidedly more realistic twist then Gasai Yuno, as Hitagi isn't going to needlessly kill every person who comes close to her boyfriend. Add to that she is the 'top dog' in the relationship, and is willing to play around with that position of power, but not to the extent of causing significant physical harm.
This relatability is based on physical/psychological/sexual attraction. And this was developed in just 15 episodes.
#4: Satsuki Kiryuuin (Kill-la-Kill)
Basically the same as Homura, but rather then a dedication toward something, it's a dedication against something. Didn't even take the entire runtime of the series to develop the same kind of connection.
#5: Minako Aino/Sailor Venus (Sailor Moon Franchise)
This IS a case where your familiarity argument comes in. I've spent a season and a half with her (she really didn't appear in the first half of Sailor Moon's first season) and an entire Manga dedicated to her.

Beyond this point, the reasons shake up more and more. Gilgamesh and Envy get props for just being fucking badass and over the top, Envy also for being a brilliant manipulative SOB and Gilgamesh for being a perfect example of an OP character done wonderfully! Fate Testarossa is because of sympathy and the decent fleshing out of her character over the first two seasons (and the third to a lesser extent). Miia and Shion Sonozaki are, again, Waifu material. Anthy Himemiya is a mixture of familiarity and her also being *Massive spoilers*. Rei Hino/Sailor Mars makes the list on being the best written and most enjoyable protagonist of Sailor Moon's first season. Illya von Einzbern gets the mark due to familiarity (She's appeared in 6 different series I've watched thus far) and her being an enjoyable, unforgiving psychopath in F/SN 2006 and the first half of UBW contrasted with an enjoyable comedic lead in the loli Fate side series. Kiritsugu Emiya rounds off the list for being a perfect example of a character teaching me something life-changing.
- - - -
IN short, yes, familiarity does have an effect on how much I like a character, though this has backfired also (The main cast of SDF Macross 1982 being a perfect example of this backfiring significantly). But attractiveness, identifiability, influence, and my desire to be like that person can also have a massive effect.
InsaneLeader13Feb 9, 2017 6:43 AM
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Feb 9, 2017 6:18 AM
Jul 2018
I think it has to do more with the writing than the amount of episodes. Sure developing a good character in just 20 minutes can be a challenge but I think less than 24 episodes is more than enough to develop characters you can get invested in.
removed-userFeb 14, 2018 9:28 AM
Feb 9, 2017 6:48 AM
Jul 2016
InsaneLeader13 said:

I don't know if you are trolling or not.

I'm not, and as you said Rebuild 3.0 was great and made me love him even more,especially for the piano scene.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - 9 hours ago

28 by Ende_uraa »»
2 minutes ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 3 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

119 by Hoppy »»
10 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men?

Alpha_1_Zero - 4 hours ago

31 by Archean-Return »»
23 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - 5 hours ago

24 by Kurgo »»
25 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

170 by perseii »»
29 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.