Forum Settings
Forums

Are there any sports anime that resolves around girls?

New
Feb 7, 2017 7:41 PM
Aug 2015
I realized that I haven't seen or heard of a sports anime with females as the main characters. Like most sports anime resolve around these guys who are in a team but I've never heard any for girls like girl's volleyball, swimming or even softball. I'm not saying that in anime they don't show girls doing sports or anything what I mean like an anime that resolves around a sports team that are female like is there an anime like Haikyuu! except the characters are all female? Hopefully that makes sense haha. If there is, feel free to list them because I would love to watch them and maybe others would too :)) Thanks!
Feb 7, 2017 7:43 PM

Mar 2016
My friend, I think you are looking for Keijo! ;)

Now for the real answer: Honestly there aren't too many all female sport anime out there. The only one that I can think of, that isn't like Keijo, is Shakunetsu no Takkyuu Musume. Its a Girls Ping Pong anime, which wasn't bad at all, it was actually just a nice little show.
SojinFeb 7, 2017 7:51 PM
Feb 7, 2017 7:47 PM

Jun 2016
I can't think of a single good one, unless you want to go into Keijo or Wanna Be the Strongest in the World territory.
Feb 7, 2017 7:53 PM

Jan 2008
Most, if not all, female sport oriented anime these days end up just being another fanservice gimmick, which is fine if you enjoy that but that'd be hard to say since like the majority of MAL do nothing but complain about it.

You might get lucky with some older titles if you don't mind the dated visuals.
PaulFeb 7, 2017 7:59 PM
Feb 7, 2017 7:58 PM

Oct 2014
Taishou Yakyuu Musume, Saki, Chihayafuru (mixed cast, but female protagonist), Ro Kyu Bu (harem), Bakuon (not very good, though), and Yama no Susume are a couple. I think this is a recommendation thread.
Feb 7, 2017 8:07 PM
Aug 2016
Girls und Panzer

Cute girls driving tanks, it's as ridiculous as it sounds
Feb 7, 2017 8:09 PM
Dec 2015
I would actually recommend Keijo legitimately for this. While it is fanservice heavy, it gives an empowering message to women about how their parts are for more than just sexual objects or desires, and also has all of the standard sports tropes for guys sports anime.
Feb 7, 2017 8:10 PM

Jun 2016
There's Sabagebu and C3-bu if you like airsoft
Feb 7, 2017 8:16 PM

Nov 2014
https://myanimelist.net/anime/10572/Ro-Kyu-Bu
Otherwise known as loli's basketball.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Feb 7, 2017 8:23 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
softenni

ping pong girls

girls und panzer

KEIJOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

unfortunately no volleyball girl anime... awe man, does my dick await that...

most sports anime are guys because many girls will get butthurt otherwise :/
Feb 7, 2017 8:27 PM
Feb 2009
Some of Keijo may seem fanservicey or ridiculous but I'll say it's worth watching. Girls und Panzer is good despite what any art may show so I'd support both those if you haven't seen them. Stella C3 has a little bit of drama in it but I found it to be entertaining as well.

Those are my 3 recommendations as I've seen most of what's been mentioned.
Feb 7, 2017 8:29 PM

Jun 2015
Bamboo Blade

Anyway, Girls un Panzer exists, so it basically fills the need for this niche.
Feb 7, 2017 8:30 PM

Jun 2008
Ok....true, most all female sports anime usually revolve around fanservice.

BUT....I'll remind you that MANY all male sports anime have a lot of manservice and yaoi undertones...

So, I don't want to hear any complaints from people.
Feb 7, 2017 8:37 PM

Sep 2015
Cycling is sports too.. Right?

>Long Riders! (more of an atmospheric show)
>Minami Kamakura Koukou Joshi Jitensha-bu (cycling club)

And then there's always
Kenkou Zenrakei Suieibu Umishou (swimming, mostly girls but there are few guys as well and the swimming is more of a secondary thing, it's mostly comedy)
Feb 7, 2017 8:45 PM

Aug 2013
Move the thread to recommended thread instead?

From my list that people havent mention (unless ninja-ed while im typing this):

1. Saki (couple of season)
2. Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm (got male player though)
3. Angelic Layer
4. Umisho (probably not proper sports anime)
5. Hibike! Euphonium (not sports exactly, but it got "club" and "training for tournament")
6. Suzuka (probably no... romance focus while the main girls is a sports girl IIRC)
.... not much choice from the list.

If you open for club activity / slice of life stuff with girls, there are tons more choices (like K-On).
Other extra info probably there are tons more choice if you want "training for competition" / tournament stuff with girls.
Nah, i dont think sharing anime ratings in signature is cool thing.

Here, stare at this pointless signature instead.
Feb 7, 2017 8:54 PM

Sep 2016
Keijo!! Those heavy 'actions' sure do heat me up and get me excited now and then.
Feb 7, 2017 8:57 PM

Nov 2013
Moshidora has a female MC, but she's only the manager of the (all male) team.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Feb 7, 2017 8:58 PM
Jan 2015
An anime about Girl's vollyball would be dope tbh.
My Queens

Feb 7, 2017 9:43 PM

Jan 2010
Teekyuu is about a girls tennis club, but I think that one might be more comedy orientated.
There is also Ace wo Nerae! But that is from the 70s... I haven't seen it but it's the only really serious female sports anime I can think of apart from some that were already mentioned.
Feb 8, 2017 6:38 AM

May 2015
You'll want to try Stella's Women Academy. It's an adorable anime about airsoft and cute girls. You can't go wrong with it.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Feb 8, 2017 6:52 AM

Feb 2010
GamerUnglued said:
I would actually recommend Keijo legitimately for this. While it is fanservice heavy, it gives an empowering message to women about how their parts are for more than just sexual objects or desires, and also has all of the standard sports tropes for guys sports anime.

+1, It's nice parody. There are some puns.
ps. it has almost 0 fanservice - it's show about fighting with breasts or buttocks so you expect it.

Sojin said:
Takkyuu Musume. Its a Girls Ping Pong anime, which wasn't bad at all, it was actually just a nice little show.

In my opinion, it was better than Ping pong the animation. I mean both animes talk about similar problems but Shakunetsu Takyuu musume has lot more other things. It has some comedy, some "cute stuffs", some info about Ping pong.
ps. yeah, but it wasn't perfect

@Amy_senpai If you count fighting sports then you can try animes from Nanoha universe: Mahou shoujo Nanoha Vivid & Vivid Strike. They have some stories/problems except sport. 2nd is better (as for 10/12 episode). They are very good, but if you want fights + magic then it may be worth checking... maybe.
Feb 8, 2017 6:57 AM

Jan 2016
-Mahesvara said:
An anime about Girl's vollyball would be dope tbh.

The only one i know is https://myanimelist.net/anime/3081/Attacker_You?q=Attacker i saw it when i was a child, i can't remember if it was good or not.
Feb 8, 2017 7:00 AM

Apr 2010
There are quite a number of girls' sports anime if you're willing to go vintage (and can find subs). One of my first anime experiences was Attacker You! (volleyball).
Slightly more recently, there's Princess Nine for baseball.

And I've just finished Yawara!, a long-running comedy women's judo series by the creator of Monster. No, seriously.
Feb 8, 2017 3:01 PM

Aug 2014
Feb 8, 2017 4:50 PM

May 2012
Even though Cross Game is largely about boys playing baseball, the main girl is an excellent pitcher. There's even an arc where she is pursued by what was then called the "Girls' Professional Baseball League."

Seconds for Chihayafuru and Shion no Ou though they are about card and board games respectively.

I find it amusing that even games that do not require physical strength like Go, Shougi and karuta nevertheless still have sex-segregated competitions at the professional level in Japan. (Though karuta requires physical abilities, it rewards reflexes more than strength.)
Feb 8, 2017 5:13 PM
Mar 2016
+1 Keijo
+1 Ro-Kyu-Bu
+1 Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm

Cross Game is about a male baseball team but features a second female MC which is highly skilled and involved in the baseball.

Shakunetsu no Takkyuu Musume is about an all female table tennis club. Very Moe though.

More topics from this board

» Planning to watch Sousou no Frieren

WitchDoc - 5 hours ago

5 by WitchDoc »»
1 minute ago

» Anime similar to live-action action movies?

Skuletor - 6 minutes ago

0 by Skuletor »»
6 minutes ago

» ใ€Œ ๐œ—โ„˜ ๐š๐ง๐ข๐ฆ๐ž/๐ฆ๐š๐ง๐ ๐š ๐ฌ๐ฎ๐ ๐ ๐ž๐ฌ๐ญ๐ข๐จ๐ง ๐œ—โ„˜ ใ€(โ€โ› ึŠ โ›โ€ž)โ™ก

RabbitS- - Apr 10

18 by Reina__ »»
1 hour ago

» Grim series for tonight

LoveYourEyes - Apr 1

14 by LoveYourEyes »»
2 hours ago

» Looking for girls in a certain outfit

Nagi_Karman - 4 hours ago

0 by Nagi_Karman »»
4 hours ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.