Forum Settings
Forums
#1
Feb 3, 2017 2:28 PM
News Team
Overkilled Red

Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 6233
Crunchyroll announced their English dub of Gintama° on Wednesday. Episodes 266 to 278 are currently available for streaming worldwide, excluding Asia. Additional dubbed episodes will be released every Wednesday in February.

Cast
Gintoki Sakata: Michael Daingerfield
Shinpachi Shimura: Cole Howard
Kagura: Jocelyne Loewen
Tae Shimura: Janyse Jaud
Kotaro Katsura: Matt Ellis
Toshiro Hijikata: Michael Adamthwaite
Sogo Okita: Vincent Tong
Isao Kondo: Jason Simpson
Sagaru Yamazaki: Adrian Petriw
Tsukuyo: Marlie Collins
Tatsuma Sakamoto: Andrew Francis
Tama: Chantal Strand
Yagyu Kyubei: Advah Soudak

Gintama° aired in Spring 2015 for 51 episodes and was streamed by Crunchyroll. The company announced in July 2016 that it would release select titles in Blu-ray and DVD with English dub, including Gintama. The fourth season of the series premiered in January, and is currently being simulcast by Crunchyroll.

Source: Crunchyroll

News submitted by exodvs
Modified by Naruleach, Feb 3, 2017 7:29 PM

 
#2
Feb 3, 2017 2:37 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 14676
Good luck to the cast, they'll need it.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
 
#3
Feb 3, 2017 2:45 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 21338
Dear Crunchytroll,

Yours sincerely,
Comic_Sans
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Salman bin Abdul Aziz said:
@Comic_Sans I hate to insult you on forums but you are just a troll so just go kill yourself already bitch
 
#4
Feb 3, 2017 2:46 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Offline
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 6898
Watched a bit of it and its mediocre. Some characters sound okay (especially Shinpachi), but some sound pretty bad, like Gintoki and Kagura. I guess the quality of the dub really depends on how the jokes will translate well to English and I haven't seen much to judge that... but I doubt it will be done well. Gintama really depends on its satirical and parodical jokes and voice acting, and replacing those two doesn't sound like a good idea.
 
#5
Feb 3, 2017 2:46 PM
Hug Addict <3

Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 29329
I don't even want to imagine how many parodies and references will be lost in translation for this...

A cuddle a day keeps the pouting away~
"Holding hands is just the first step to getting pregnant"
 
#6
Feb 3, 2017 2:53 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 2267
Eh.. I tried the first dubbed ep and the voices weren't so bad but....
Nobody else can really be Gintoki other than Tomokazu Sugita
And yeah, all the cool jokes will probably be lost in translation. :/
 
#7
Feb 3, 2017 3:06 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 1165
The Gintoki in live-action movie already sounds weird enough.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
 
#8
Feb 3, 2017 3:10 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 5811
So they dubbing the show from 4th season? Does Gintama have dubs for older seasons at all?

 
#9
Feb 3, 2017 3:40 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 4254
How exactly would this even work? A shitload of Gintama's jokes are deeply rooted in Japanese culture so that's why I never thought in a million years Gintama would ever get a dub. I still haven't reached this season but I might check out a bit of this out of morbid curiosity to see how the comedy translates. I'm assuming most of it will just be lost in translation though....
I'm no special story or anything. I'm just a manga that wants to be read, like you could find anywhere. But, if, for argument's sake, you were to adapt me into an anime series, it would certainly be....a tragedy.

-The Tokyo Ghoul/Tokyo Ghoul:re manga, if they could talk
 
Feb 3, 2017 3:48 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 2139
thebrentinator24 said:
How exactly would this even work? A shitload of Gintama's jokes are deeply rooted in Japanese culture so that's why I never thought in a million years Gintama would ever get a dub. I still haven't reached this season but I might check out a bit of this out of morbid curiosity to see how the comedy translates. I'm assuming most of it will just be lost in translation though....
Exactly what I thought. The nuance, puns, even the parodies would most likely not work in English
"Your taste is shit cause you like what I hate. Believe me I have 1000 cartoons that I rated with less than 5."


 
Feb 3, 2017 4:25 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 56
I had a bad feeling about this, and i was right, now i can't unhear those horrible voices especially kagura's, are they dumb to dub a serie such as gintama, it has the best voice acting of all time and its jokes are related heavily to japanese culture, they will not be the same in a language other than japanese, plus you can't ignore that terrible pronounciation of proper names, this is such a nightmare, don't watch it if you hate dub, it will only make you cringe
 
Feb 3, 2017 5:54 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 102
Come on guys, don't be so harsh. Yes, a lot of the more nuanced/language-based jokes will fall flat, but that goes for a lot of comedy dubs. Look at Azumanga Daioh for instance.

It's nice to have a dub option. It doesn't replace the subs. I know a few people who will watch Gintama now because there's a dub option; but for purists and long-term fans, the sub is right there beside it.

The only real-world effect the dubbing will have, is making the series more popular in the West. That's a win in my book.

EDIT: Also, yes I've sampled the dub (it's serviceable imo), just like I watched the Benizakura movie a second time dubbed. I'll be sticking with the subs for sure - but again, having the dub option is nice.
 
Feb 3, 2017 6:55 PM
Pocky Priestess

Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 1386
Gintama had a local dub broadcast on national television in our country. Pretty good I should say since the language counterpart of jokes come across... most of the time, but the JP ver is still better. I wonder how /English/ plays this out. Interesting.
News Guidelines | Submit News (Complete article, no one-liners. For news tips, PM me or other news mods!)
Slow news reports? Don't worry, we know a scoop fast enough, but due to strict guidelines, we require confirmation from multiple independent sources.
 
Feb 3, 2017 10:44 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 495
I've watched a few episodes and I'm loving it too bad they didn't dub season 1 or 2 yet if they do though I'm gonna make sure to buy all of the seasons on DVD.

(like I do with all the anime's I like)

:)



All the Anime's on my list are all one's I own Personal physical copies of, or have seen in theaters that I plan on buying, series that I've watched on FUNimation or HIDIVE will not be on here unless/until I have already bought it.
 
Feb 4, 2017 3:45 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 232
I actually like all of the Yorozuya's VAs haha especially Gintoki. Everyone else is hit or miss though. Lacking but not terrible, better than the movie dub.
 
Feb 4, 2017 4:03 AM
otaking
Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 24959
raegazel said:
Come on guys, don't be so harsh. Yes, a lot of the more nuanced/language-based jokes will fall flat, but that goes for a lot of comedy dubs. Look at Azumanga Daioh for instance.

It's nice to have a dub option. It doesn't replace the subs. I know a few people who will watch Gintama now because there's a dub option; but for purists and long-term fans, the sub is right there beside it.

The only real-world effect the dubbing will have, is making the series more popular in the West. That's a win in my book.

EDIT: Also, yes I've sampled the dub (it's serviceable imo), just like I watched the Benizakura movie a second time dubbed. I'll be sticking with the subs for sure - but again, having the dub option is nice.



its goign ot be shin chan mark 2 overall
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
 
Feb 4, 2017 4:20 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1843
LOL who is this for exactly? The normies who cant read subs? I dont think normies care about Gintama anyway, or even know what it is.
 
Feb 4, 2017 8:58 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 495
who_dat_ninja said:
LOL who is this for exactly? The normies who cant read subs? I dont think normies care about Gintama anyway, or even know what it is.


I've been waiting since I started watch anime (2013) for it to get dubbed sadly I can't watch subs (mental issues) so I'm pretty hyped myself.

(sorry for butting in and sorry if I sound rude I hope I'm not.)



All the Anime's on my list are all one's I own Personal physical copies of, or have seen in theaters that I plan on buying, series that I've watched on FUNimation or HIDIVE will not be on here unless/until I have already bought it.
 
Feb 4, 2017 9:00 AM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 1
Will they dub season 1 of Gintama?
 
Feb 4, 2017 12:51 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 4375
Who thought this was a good idea? Gintama is one of those series that will NEVER work in English.
 
Feb 4, 2017 2:24 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 96
Brb, dying. Sakamoto is a certified surfer dude now.

Sometimes you just gotta realize that you can't watch every
anime you want to. The struggle is far too real for that.
 
Feb 4, 2017 2:39 PM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 26
well I watched half of the first episode, and I think it makes me cringe.
 
Feb 4, 2017 4:56 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 156
I've watched about 4 episodes and I thought it was fine. It won't replace the Japanese cast, sure, and some jokes are definitely odd in English... but I enjoyed what I watched.
"Your guilt will be your past, and that will be your God."
 
Feb 4, 2017 7:19 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 495
Nakurawari said:
I've watched about 4 episodes and I thought it was fine. It won't replace the Japanese cast, sure, and some jokes are definitely odd in English... but I enjoyed what I watched.


Glad to hear that ^^ (sorry for butting in and hopefully I'm not sounding rude sorry if I do)



All the Anime's on my list are all one's I own Personal physical copies of, or have seen in theaters that I plan on buying, series that I've watched on FUNimation or HIDIVE will not be on here unless/until I have already bought it.
 
Feb 5, 2017 2:08 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1843
animefan0071 said:
who_dat_ninja said:
LOL who is this for exactly? The normies who cant read subs? I dont think normies care about Gintama anyway, or even know what it is.


I've been waiting since I started watch anime (2013) for it to get dubbed sadly I can't watch subs (mental issues) so I'm pretty hyped myself.

(sorry for butting in and sorry if I sound rude I hope I'm not.)
You're not rude at all.
 
Feb 5, 2017 7:32 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 495
who_dat_ninja said:
animefan0071 said:


I've been waiting since I started watch anime (2013) for it to get dubbed sadly I can't watch subs (mental issues) so I'm pretty hyped myself.

(sorry for butting in and sorry if I sound rude I hope I'm not.)
You're not rude at all.


Ok thanks ^^ I'm always nervous I'm going to offend someone (although I guess it's the internet so theirs really no escaping that at somepoint or another lol)



All the Anime's on my list are all one's I own Personal physical copies of, or have seen in theaters that I plan on buying, series that I've watched on FUNimation or HIDIVE will not be on here unless/until I have already bought it.
 
Feb 5, 2017 10:50 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 1406
But why? I mean, I dropped Gintama a while ago but I thought Gintama was one of the anime (like Bakemonogatari and Lovely Complex) that would never get dubbed.


But whatever. I'm not going to make a big deal about it since no one is forcing me to watch it dubbed. So yeah, good luck to the cast.
 
Feb 5, 2017 12:26 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 5988
Isn't Crunchyroll supposed to not have english audio anymore? (I read that the concept of their partnership with Funimation was to specialize each of them in subtitled or dubbed animation)

@DatRandomDude Thank you.
Modified by Rei_III, Feb 5, 2017 9:05 PM
 
Feb 5, 2017 7:06 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 7083
Rei366 said:
Isn't Crunchyroll supposed to not have english audio anymore? (I read that the concept of their partnership with Funimation was to specialize each of them in subtitled or dubbed animation)
It's suposed to be that but since Gintama has been licensed by crunchyroll themselves, they can have the dubs for it on crunchyroll i think. In this case, i think FUNimation is just going to distribute the BDs/DVDs of it
 
Top