Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 6, 2017 9:08 AM

Jun 2015
Pullman said:
KuroudoAkabane said:
does this ever happen? not just on mal, hell even the news papers reviewing movies are just trash.

Idk, I don't read reviews very often. Usually you need to do a bit of interpretation to get these informations out of a review.

I recently read this review and I think it does a good job at doing what I mentioned.
https://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=184182

A lot of it is just listing stuff that shows up in the show, be it themes or archetypes or how the show is split into two halves etc...
Of course his opinion is sprinkled on everywhere too, but the bulk of the review is just information.
hmmm I clicked that link and I qoute
Cross Ange is a travesty. It's a horrible, stupid, illogical trainwreck of a show with shoddy production values that relies almost entirely on pandering to the lowest forms of human life and waving shallow moments of shock value all over the screen.
is the very 1st line.

what you are saying is reviews should be technical and objective. and I agree.

the example used fails to provide.

I used to read reviews till a few years back. for movies. then I realized the reviewers were retards giving the top three films [by money] we rated as low a 0 start to 2 stars. and were biased as shit.

even your example in the very 1st line does the same. and so does not warrant a full read.
Feb 6, 2017 9:25 AM

Feb 2010
KuroudoAkabane said:
Pullman said:

Idk, I don't read reviews very often. Usually you need to do a bit of interpretation to get these informations out of a review.

I recently read this review and I think it does a good job at doing what I mentioned.

A lot of it is just listing stuff that shows up in the show, be it themes or archetypes or how the show is split into two halves etc...
Of course his opinion is sprinkled on everywhere too, but the bulk of the review is just information.
Cross Ange is a travesty. It's a horrible, stupid, illogical trainwreck of a show with shoddy production values that relies almost entirely on pandering to the lowest forms of human life and waving shallow moments of shock value all over the screen.
is the very 1st line.

I used to read reviews till a few years back. for movies. then I realized the reviewers were retards giving the top three films [by money] we rated as low a 0 start to 2 stars. and were biased as shit.

even your example in the very 1st line does the same. and so does not warrant a full read.

What I'm saying is they should always include elements of observation, not that they should include nothing else. I never mentioned objectivity. That's you projecting your own values into my statements. Observations aren't objective, but they're at least trying so it's easier to interpret them than opinions based on these observations. I also mentioned that interpretation is an important factor to extract that information out of a review. That goes for both observations and opinions.

Also it's just one line and since the review gives a 9/10 it's not to be taken at face value, that much should be obvious. If anything, that line made me more curious because it contradicts the score he gave the show so I want to know why. And it's just the opening line, whose purpose it is to attract attention. The 'meat' of the review I mentioned is definitely not the opening line.
That being said, there is a ton of information in that opening line already. The show has low production values, pandering, shock value scenes and is illogical.

But if you can't even be bothered to read a review beyond the first line there's not really much I can say. Your mind seems made up already, you didn't even try to understand what I was referring to in that review but instantly trashed the first line while ignoring the rest. It's not hard to get hung up on individual lines and trash every review in that manner. There's an angle to trash everything if that's what you're out to do. And if you weren't out to do just that I'd assume you'd give the review more than just 5 seconds/1 sentence.

With such an extreme/unrealistic opinion regarding what the ratio of observations/opinions should be, it'll definitely be next to impossible to find reviews that fit your standards, that much is true. Maybe this one?
https://www.destructoid.com/100-objective-review-final-fantasy-xiii-179178.phtml
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 6, 2017 10:48 AM

May 2009
KuroudoAkabane said:
Pullman said:

is the very 1st line.

That review...it's just weird. Do note that despite the quote you provided, its rating is a 9.

Of course, the show itself is...also unique in its way of doing some things. One could say it's colorfully dark.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Feb 6, 2017 11:01 AM

Apr 2016
I'm not reading reviews, but I compare the affinity between me and the reviewer, so I can actually decide if I'll watch the show or not.

So basically you can do it too.
Feb 6, 2017 11:02 AM

Feb 2016

Best review ever, would read again 9/10 cause he unnecessary repeats himself a few times.

I wanted to see the comments but I have to sign in, ehh :(
SpaghettiSpikeFeb 6, 2017 11:06 AM

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Feb 6, 2017 11:30 AM

Aug 2014
Well reviews probably originated out of sensationalistic and publicistic reasons, but like all things, that spawn jobs and interest, people developed paradigms and scientific theories on it.

Technically on the internet anybody can write reviews and express his feelings, it's fine, but honestly (and this is connected to my own values of forms of story telling being an artform and reviewing being an attempt to critically evaluate them) I think you should strive to improve your craft by collecting experience, different opinions and even reading some scientific texts on the topic.
Feb 6, 2017 2:58 PM

Jun 2015
Pullman said:
KuroudoAkabane said:
is the very 1st line.

What I'm saying is they should always include elements of observation, not that they should include nothing else. I never mentioned objectivity. That's you projecting your own values into my statements. Observations aren't objective, but they're at least trying so it's easier to interpret them than opinions based on these observations. I also mentioned that interpretation is an important factor to extract that information out of a review. That goes for both observations and opinions.

Also it's just one line and since the review gives a 9/10 it's not to be taken at face value, that much should be obvious. If anything, that line made me more curious because it contradicts the score he gave the show so I want to know why. And it's just the opening line, whose purpose it is to attract attention. The 'meat' of the review I mentioned is definitely not the opening line.
That being said, there is a ton of information in that opening line already. The show has low production values, pandering, shock value scenes and is illogical.

But if you can't even be bothered to read a review beyond the first line there's not really much I can say. Your mind seems made up already, you didn't even try to understand what I was referring to in that review but instantly trashed the first line while ignoring the rest. It's not hard to get hung up on individual lines and trash every review in that manner. There's an angle to trash everything if that's what you're out to do. And if you weren't out to do just that I'd assume you'd give the review more than just 5 seconds/1 sentence.

With such an extreme/unrealistic opinion regarding what the ratio of observations/opinions should be, it'll definitely be next to impossible to find reviews that fit your standards, that much is true. Maybe this one?
https://www.destructoid.com/100-objective-review-final-fantasy-xiii-179178.phtml
throw a shocking hateful 1st sentence and give it a 9? meh bait.
well you admitted you were baited by that. so there's that.

and your second link, thats not really objective but more of a troll shitpost.

you know where I get my meat from? [not the edible kind, the review kind]
wiki entries. the plots on wikipedia and spoilers on wikia are objective and fulfill my needs to discern whether I should watch something or not.

also my distrust comes from that shit printed in newpapers in my city as movie reviews and not just mal.
Feb 6, 2017 3:18 PM
Apr 2015
Why bothering doing research when you can write and post memes about the anime you're reviewing.
Feb 7, 2017 12:44 AM

May 2015
Tentology said:
Why bothering doing research when you can write and post memes about the anime you're reviewing.

Reviews are fun. Memes don't go anywhere.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Feb 7, 2017 12:03 PM
Apr 2015
TheBrainintheJar said:

It's funny because memes are so pervasive throughout the internet and even real life.

Memes are eternal.
Feb 7, 2017 10:01 PM

May 2009
KuroudoAkabane said:
throw a shocking hateful 1st sentence and give it a 9? meh bait.
well you admitted you were baited by that. so there's that.

I'm halfway through that series and I gotta say, it...doesn't lend itself to an easy assessment.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Feb 8, 2017 6:00 AM

May 2015
Tentology said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

It's funny because memes are so pervasive throughout the internet and even real life.

Memes are eternal.

So was racism, but racism wasn't fun but just a bunch of pseudoscience.

Memes are just people being ironic and incapable of having fun.
Feb 8, 2017 6:11 AM

Feb 2016
TheBrainintheJar said:
Tentology said:

Memes are eternal.

So was racism, but racism wasn't fun but just a bunch of pseudoscience.

Memes are just people being ironic and incapable of having fun.

There are all kinds of memes, not all are ironic, and even then I dont think youre incapable of having fun. What do memes have to do with reviews anyway?

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Feb 8, 2017 6:24 AM

Apr 2013
All you need on MAL is a dictionary, an ego based on misgivings and the desire to express your undue smugness.
Feb 8, 2017 6:34 AM

May 2015
robiu013 said:
Well reviews probably originated out of sensationalistic and publicistic reasons, but like all things, that spawn jobs and interest, people developed paradigms and scientific theories on it.

Technically on the internet anybody can write reviews and express his feelings, it's fine, but honestly (and this is connected to my own values of forms of story telling being an artform and reviewing being an attempt to critically evaluate them) I think you should strive to improve your craft by collecting experience, different opinions and even reading some scientific texts on the topic.

Not really. Reviews probably developed because people were passionate enough about a medium and researched it.
Feb 8, 2017 8:07 AM

Aug 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:
robiu013 said:

Not really. Reviews probably developed because people were passionate enough about a medium and researched it.

Terminology. You are referring to the act of criticism while I'm talking about the review, a form of uttering critique in the shape of secondary literature, the emergence and spread of which is in fact connected to publicism.
Feb 9, 2017 12:42 AM

May 2015
robiu013 said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Terminology. You are referring to the act of criticism while I'm talking about the review, a form of uttering critique in the shape of secondary literature, the emergence and spread of which is in fact connected to publicism.

Were the first reviewers literary critics, people versed in their field or did the newspaper bosses just told people 'go rant about this movie'?
Feb 9, 2017 5:04 AM

Nov 2014
I always sucked at those topics and having to use them in english makes it even harder. I sometimes google definitions of some words to don't mistake story with plot etc, but that's it.
I agree with earlier posts about reviews being mostly about reviewers opinion. As long as there is good argumentation what and why they liked and disliked, I'm happy.
JustAnotherShiroFeb 9, 2017 5:09 AM
Feb 9, 2017 5:10 AM
Jul 2018
Just like every other good anime fan I firmly believe that a positive review without any bad words and arguments that may be considered offensive is good :D

Depends I would say there are different types of reviews and such concepts are not necessary for all of them tho some idea of cinematography ETC. would not hurt any reviewer I guess.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» which antagonist is your fave and which one you cannot JUST TAKE SERIOUSLY ?

ame - 21 minutes ago

4 by Lhundrup »»
2 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

80 by traed »»
5 minutes ago

» For those who ever rewatch anything, are there any anime you can't really casually rewatch in whole or in part due to intensity?

WatchTillTandava - 9 hours ago

13 by perseii »»
25 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 12 hours ago

28 by Kenzolo-folk »»
31 minutes ago

» Did you know that anime is amazing?

KryzakamiHrybami - Yesterday

21 by L0bsterman »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.