Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 2, 2017 12:19 PM

Sep 2012
Well hello everyone.Today I am here to bring some suggestions from me and other users.

Let's start:

1-Global Moderator

Firstly I want to start with this issue.Let's be honest.This site is well known and has a lot of traffic.Sometimes mods can find them in an overwhelming situations.Sadly I have no idea how the moderations system works (I have asked this info for a couple times but I never get an answer.) but I assume mods checked by D.A.Leading the whole site is surely hard so plus with thw whole concerns about mods can make it even harder.To prevent this one (or more) persom can be chosen as global moderator.I know there are some experienced people in mod team so finding that person shouldn't be hard.This person's duty will be about checking the other mods and creating a schedule for them(Refer to suggestion 2).With this I think the whole MAL staff can save a lot of time.

2-Schedule for Moderators

Again I never been informed about how mods work but I can give a suggestion that can be helpful imo.With this schedule system global moderator(Refer to suggestion 1) or D.A. can create a way for mods to spend their moderation time efficiently.To demonstrate the idea I will give an example.

We have person A B C and D.Person A can only enter the forum between at 19:00 to 22:00.Person B works a lot and only enter the forum at weekend.Person C has no problem with entering the forum at work.Person D thinks since he is a student he can enter the forum every night.Then we can create a schedule like this: Person A please focus on moderation three times a week at 19:00 to 21:00.Person B can do the moderation in weekend at 12:00 to 14:00.At that point I think you can guess the rest.

Of course none of us are robots so nobody can strictly go with schedule but with a plan as I said you can raise the efficiently.Also we can create alternatives.How?Let's talk about suggestion 3.

3-More Moderators

I know roughly every year or so mod applications starts.My point is for example 8 mods for forums or 7 mods for reviews/recommendations is really torment for both mods and users.Every mod is human can only do something with their reach.Raising the number for a site that gets a lot of peeks per hour should help them.So my suggestion will be like that.We can adjust the number of mods until every mod agrees with the number.

Yes I did talk about mod stuff a lot but this should be enough for now.Let's continue with other problems.

4-Existence of IRC

Well know how good was the IRC days but let's face it.It's old and we can use lots of different programs that will do the same.I think as @Kreateer suggested a Discord server can do this work.With the possibilities it has you can see that it really surpass the IRC.I can't see any D.A. gave an answer for this but I can see that some mods agree with it on the original suggestion topic.

Also again some thinks that it has negative sides but with the improvement of Discord I think lots of them already solved.I really think you should check the original topic to fully understand the positive and negative sides.For moderation MAL already has a team for that.IRC mods.Also you can refer to suggestion 3.

Clarification:Discord server doesn't need to be a chat server.There can be another server for that.My point is MAL can create a server that what IRC does right now.

5-Dark Mode for MAL

This should be self explanatory.It's also suggested by @deadright and @AniRev .Sadly in both topics nobody addressed the situation so I want to state this here too.As for coding side it is really easy to do so shouldn't take that much time.

6-Situations of Suggestions

Let's be honest here.I can post more great ideas from other users and there is a reason for that.None of that suggestions got "any" recognition from D.A.Even if so we can't tell.So here my suggestion for suggestions sub-forum.
Title tags.Eaxmple:

Suggestion X
[Seen]Suggestion X
[Accepted]Suggestion X
[Denied]Suggestion X

At least with that people can have an idea about their suggestions.

Addition:With that people also can able to sort denied and accepted suggestions easily.

With that we come to end of my post.Thanks for reading.
sasalxFeb 2, 2017 1:55 PM
Feb 2, 2017 1:36 PM

Feb 2015
Having MAL Discord group, as I have said, will be pretty much useless or kinda hard, ppl will shit... That's hard to follow up, besides most clubs have their own Discord chat group anyways, I don't see the point of having this one, and I've heard that MAL IRC are for helps, or if they need to contact a Mods, Kineta or other Mods are active in there, as I think...

I guess that's a good one, I also don't know how the Mod team works but I guess they communicate regularly, when one Mod can't do stuff, other would fill-in and stuff like that...

I think it's DeNa who have a say to this one right?

Mhhh... I dunno, they seem to recruit Mods depending on the time they set it up. Like Forum Mods, as I think, gets application for about each year, ppl who have a good thing to see threads that can be sniped and so on, and so forth. I think News Mods are about 1 1/2 year or something like that, though I think the problem wouldn't be the time but the applicants... I guess... I dunno, probably...

I dunno, or I think, it's a "complicated" stuff, there's a list I've seen that some 'suggestion" that has been already declined: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=4555#msg10606127 , and as a pleb like me, I don't know how "suggestion" works within Mod's range, I just have hunch when some suggestion will fall or not...

Mhhh.. I dunno, but Dark Mode is good when you're using Discord, I'd cough blood when it's MAL or anything browser related stuff...
Feb 2, 2017 2:18 PM

Jun 2015
No for number 2. You make it seem like moderating is a job. It's not.
Feb 2, 2017 2:33 PM

Sep 2012
Brb said:

Well of course that is not my purpose.I just think maybe creating something like that can stabilize the overwork of mods.As you can see with suggestion 3 it can help to mods.Also anything to say for others?
Feb 2, 2017 2:47 PM

Jun 2015
sasalx said:
Brb said:

Well of course that is not my purpose.I just think maybe creating something like that can stabilize the overwork of mods.As you can see with suggestion 3 it can help to mods.Also anything to say for others?

1 is kinda a gray area. While it is good, it will be a pretty hard position to fulfill as it basically means that you have to qualify for all mod position.

I'm all for 3, but that's up to MAL anyway (and the site is pretty slow with the application process)

4-5&6 are pretty good.
Feb 2, 2017 2:58 PM

Nov 2014
1. Kineta overlooks the other mods and handles problems regarding mods.
2. Mod work is voluntary and DB moderators may focus on different aspects of the site. Some focus more on characters, others on anime staff, others on misc data. You can't stabilise anything by creating a schedule. They do their work in their free time.
3. It's difficult to train mods and site-wide recruitments happen every few years.
4. Discord is more difficult to moderate for spam, but it isn't a bad idea.
ManaFeb 2, 2017 3:01 PM
Feb 2, 2017 3:39 PM

Dec 2014
I fully support 4 & 5. 6 sounds like good addition too. A feedback from moderators themselves would give us more insight for the first three, I guess.

“There are two kinds of arrogance. One where you are unequal to the task and one where your dreams are too big. The former is commonplace stupidity... but the latter is a rare species that is difficult to find.”

More topics from this board

» Combining every season of an Anime?

Dennisss - Apr 1, 2021

9 by httplatte »»
Yesterday, 7:43 PM

» An option to change volume count for an entry based on where you've read the manga

_cjessop19_ - Yesterday

0 by _cjessop19_ »»
Yesterday, 6:26 PM

» If you liked X then you might like Y

thinkpad - Yesterday

0 by thinkpad »»
Yesterday, 6:14 AM

» How to add a New Anime streaming and downloading service as a company to MyAnimeList?

mylifegamer - Mar 5

2 by mylifegamer »»
Mar 26, 2:47 PM

» Give us the freedom to choose Favorites Character's picture on our profile page.

XXVMAL - Mar 19

17 by KitsuFrost »»
Mar 26, 10:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.