Forum Settings
Forums

Do you need to have watched a ton of anime for your anime opinions to be valid/legit?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 7, 2017 11:14 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
i do have to say this, the fact that most "anime is dying" and "all anime is now is this" and the like threads almost always come from people with -100 probably isn't a coincidence
Apr 7, 2017 11:51 AM

Feb 2010
It depends on the opinion, obviously. Anyone can have an opinion on individual shows and how they are executed. More experience will just make it easier to find the right words and know exactly what to pay attention to.

It becomes trickier when people use vocabulary that talk about whole genres or mediums. If you make such claims you better be able to back it up with a lot of experience and not just a handful of shows. That can go from people with 10 completed raving on how something is the most original/best animated/best written/etc thing ever to people proclaiming the downfall of anime or the domination of a particular type of show (ecchi/harem, fujostuff, moe etc..) or the inferiority/superiority of one decade with no or insufficient data to back it up.

Which should basically be common sense if you ask me. But damn do we get a lot of people making claims like that and then getting angry when somebody tells them they simply cannot make such statements while maintaining their credibility as long as they don't have the experience to back it up.
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 7, 2017 1:46 PM

Jan 2017
MechKingKillbot said:
If you are trying to make a larger broader statement incorporating multiple anime to try and support your argument (especially generalized statements), then you should at least watch a good amount.

If it's pertaining ONLY to that specific franchise or season, then no amount of anime watching would make someone's opinion legit

Yeah, was gonna say this.

You can be a good critic about a particular show having only seen that show. If you make a good effort to explain what you did or didn't like about it, or what aspects you thought were well-exectued or could have been done better, then it doesn't matter what else you've seen.

However.

If you try and pull in other works to compare and contrast, or if you're going to talk about plot or character devices used in the genre or medium as a whole, then you'll need to have seen at least a fair variety - enough so that you honestly can make a decent comparison. I have no idea what that number might be - it depends, again, on how good you are at spotting common threads and consistencies between shows. If you're a thoughtful and thorough critic, you might not need to have watched all that many.

Having said that, even the most casual of viewers gains a certain amount of savvy after a hundred shows or so.
Apr 7, 2017 2:52 PM
Feb 2014
I mean I have people with less than 50 anime being the ones saying only their opinion is valid and mine doesn't mean anything when I've watched almost 900.

I just let them be stupid. The only people that think their opinion is valid, are retards themselves.
Apr 7, 2017 3:03 PM
Oct 2016
If you know what you are talking about your opinions should validate themselves. If you say something that makes sense, the degree to which you are right should not be judges by your watched list. At the same time, people who have more experience with anime tend to be able to better express their opinions on the subject
Apr 7, 2017 3:34 PM

May 2016
Your affectation will legitimise your point of view.

A broader perspective is often required in order to make an insightful judgement. However, such insight does not necessary lead to either and accurate or appreciated conclusion.

If you genuinely enjoy something to the extent you wish to exert yourself to pursue intellectually (i.e. you wish to convey your love of it to all) then you will inevitably immerse yourself in it. The result being you are better able to express your point of view to others. The topic itself is not conducive to being legitimate, but rather your ability to express yourself confidently does - the confidence coming your ability to identify those relevant and positive attributes of a anime.

Basically, one will naturally follow the other. You love anime ergo you will watch a lot of it; you will watch so much anime you wish to share it.

Apr 7, 2017 3:42 PM

Oct 2016
I chuckled since there is a similar topic here where the OP asks how many anime shows he needs to watch to "level-up" to an Anime Fan.

Are we seeing anime levels now like this? Newbie, Casual, Fan, Expert and Veteran?

Maybe we need a standardization in MAL now lol. I would still consider myself as a casual though.

I was nothing until the moment I met you.

Apr 7, 2017 3:59 PM

Jul 2015
neonshock said:
So, the other day some user told me that "you can't judge because you have only watched 50~ anime".

At first I found this absurd, but then it really made me start thinking. Maybe you indeed need to have watched many anime, after all, for example, no movie critic can be a serious movie critic if he has only watched 10 or 20 movies in his life.

So I wanted to know what's the general thought about this. How many anime do you think you do need to see for your opinions to be valid, be taken seriously, etc?

How many anime do you think you have to see to stop being considered just an "anime casual"?

I'm more likely to take the word of someone who practices in the field they critique and is successful.
Apr 7, 2017 4:08 PM

Feb 2016
Numbers really don't matter. Yet there are people using this "I've watched more shows than you" or "You've only completed 10 anime" argument a lot. But that doesn't make their opinion more valid/legit than yours.
Apr 7, 2017 4:13 PM

Feb 2017
Assuming a "valid" opinion is an educated one and not just one someone else accepts, it depends on what you're trying to state your opinion on.
You don't have to have watched hundreds of anime to have a valid opinion on a particular one. You could have never seen any anime but that one and it doesn't make your opinion on it any less valid.
If your opinion is on a specific genre though, you should have at least seen a decent amount from that genre before you can form any real opinion on it. Even people who've watched ~100 anime can't form an actual opinion on a genre they haven't seen.
Apr 7, 2017 4:15 PM

Dec 2016
_xDane_ said:
I chuckled since there is a similar topic here where the OP asks how many anime shows he needs to watch to "level-up" to an Anime Fan.

It's the same thread from a couple of months ago, I haven't created another one, someone just necro'd it....

Now I have almost 70 completed XD. I've promised myself to reach 100 by the end of the year (if I have the time...)...
Apr 7, 2017 4:23 PM

Oct 2012
neonshock said:
So, the other day some user told me that "you can't judge because you have only watched 50~ anime".

At first I found this absurd, but then it really made me start thinking. Maybe you indeed need to have watched many anime, after all, for example, no movie critic can be a serious movie critic if he has only watched 10 or 20 movies in his life.

So I wanted to know what's the general thought about this. How many anime do you think you do need to see for your opinions to be valid, be taken seriously, etc?

How many anime do you think you have to see to stop being considered just an "anime casual"?

I think it heavily depends on what you're trying to argue about. Some arguments require the requisite familiarity with the tropes.

I'd say 50 TV series is more than enough to have an opinion on anime in general though.
Apr 7, 2017 4:30 PM

Oct 2011
While watching more means more experience, it's not enough of a reason to invalidate someone's opinion. It used to happen with me when I still had less than 100 completed anime. I have anime opinions from 5 years ago that I still stand by even now. Watching 1000+ shows may make you look credible, but it means nothing if you don't actively discuss about your experiences with various shows.
Apr 7, 2017 10:29 PM

Jul 2009
I mean it does help, but it's not necessary. Just articulate your opinions well and give solid examples. If you can do that, only trolls won't take you seriously.
Apr 7, 2017 11:45 PM

Sep 2015
Conversely, I also don't think someone who have watched more anime have a prerogative to decimate other opinion simply because they have watched more whatsoever.

Tobacco Causes Severe Health Problems, Smoke Moderately While Respecting Others.
Apr 8, 2017 12:20 AM

May 2015
FontSize72LOL said:
neonshock said:

I think it heavily depends on what you're trying to argue about. Some arguments require the requisite familiarity with the tropes.

I'd say 50 TV series is more than enough to have an opinion on anime in general though.

Familiarizing yourself with tropes isn't just watching but reading criticism. I know people who watch a lot of movies but since they don't engage in criticism,they got nothing to say.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Apr 8, 2017 1:45 AM

Sep 2014
Regardless of the number, if you're well-informed enough, your opinions and views are always credible.

And to be well-informed, you'll tend to watch/read more. I'd say 75-125 is enough (for anime), depending on how versatile your viewing is.
Apr 8, 2017 1:54 AM

Mar 2016
You can make a legit opinion about a certain anime you have watched no matter how many anime you have watched in total.

But when you try to make a generalization or comparison between two or more eras, genres or any type of anime, then I can't help but seeing your opinion as unreliable when you watch a little amount of anime.

It's funny to see people try to make a generalization by cherry picking particular anime.
"People who don't see that anime has changed are either wearing "glasses" or watching only a certain type (and or era) of anime"
"Having a low mean score doesn't necessarily mean one doesn't enjoy anime. Rating system is not a school grading system."
"Elitist is people who think he is superior than others. Not necessarily ones who insulting/critisizing your favorite anime or people who enjoy a certain type of anime"
"Fanboy is people who translating "your favorite anime is shit" into "you are shit".
"Being a fanboy is an indication of elitism"
Apr 8, 2017 2:38 AM

Apr 2015
As an opinion is purely subjective everyone is entitled to one and technically speaking cannot be proven factually wrong. The validity or respect an opinion gets should really be based on how well they can articulate their thoughts.

However the moment a comparison is made or a statement referring to something's quality in regards to a wider spectrum happens is when people tend to question the validity of an opinion.

So you could say that having watched more results in a perceived validity from some people but this doesn't necessarily reflect a higher value of their opinion.

Edit:
One frequent reason an opinion is called invalid though is when someone disagrees with it. I'm sure a lot of people would hypocritically accept an opinion if it is the same as their own or insert a convenient reason to question the validity of the opinion if It's different to their own.
RDLVAlmondApr 8, 2017 4:49 AM
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» If you give an anime a 10 do you genuinely think It Is a masterpiece?

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 9

48 by Ratris_Decision »»
37 seconds ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

50 by Vendicator »»
2 minutes ago

» thoughts on Chinese anime? ( 1 2 3 4 )

ryo-san - Mar 6, 2022

176 by ColourWheel »»
40 minutes ago

» angry sub only users

Yorda_trico - 6 hours ago

42 by Zarutaku »»
41 minutes ago

» What is your most re-watched anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

48 by MeguSae38 »»
52 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.