Forum Settings
Forums

Which historical figure from your country you like the most? Why?

New
Jan 27, 2017 9:19 AM

Dec 2016
I saw a mirror post of this, and I wanted to turn it out. Why would you remember your countries "black spots" if it had glorious leaders/times.

My favouirete leader is King Matthias

Jan 27, 2017 9:25 AM

Mar 2015
Harald Hårfagre comes to mind, the man that united Norway.
Jan 27, 2017 9:32 AM

Jun 2016
I. Szent László aka Saint Ladislaus of Hungary.
The man was a political and strategical mastermind, his tactical ability was borderline impeccable.
Jan 27, 2017 9:38 AM

Jan 2015
Fav from your country
>Romania
>King Matthias of Hungary

lol
Jan 27, 2017 9:38 AM

Jan 2011
Matilde di Canossa just to name one. She's an interesting figure of Medieval Italy and played a key role in the struggle against the HRE.
Jan 27, 2017 9:42 AM

Jun 2016
Zees said:
Fav from your country
>Romania

lol

Obviously Mátyás was just a puppet of the great ancient Dacians who were residing in Transylvania at the time.
OP knows his stuff.
Jan 27, 2017 9:44 AM

Jan 2015
Erg_Orgy said:
Zees said:
Fav from your country
>Romania

lol

Obviously Mátyás was just a puppet of the great ancient Dacians who were residing in Transylvania at the time.
OP knows his stuff.
He loved Dacia so much that he imprisoned their most relevant and most just, fair and ethical national hero, Vlad the Impaler.
Jan 27, 2017 9:47 AM

Jun 2016
Zees said:
Erg_Orgy said:

OP knows his stuff.
He loved Dacia so much that he imprisoned their most relevant and most just, fair and ethical national hero, Vlad the Impaler.

He also went on to create the first Dacia automobile, the first model was red like his favorite food, the tomato.

kekekekekek
Jan 27, 2017 9:50 AM

Jan 2015
Erg_Orgy said:
Zees said:

He also went on to create the first Dacia automobile, the first model was red like his favorite food, the tomato.

kekekekekek
Dacians invented automobiles and their rich Transylvanian land could grew tomatoes centuries before France, Spain and other shitty countries like them could import tomatoes from America.
Jan 27, 2017 10:17 AM

Dec 2016
Rarusu_ said:
Engelbrekt Engelbrektsson

Gustav Vasa

Charles IX

The Lion from the North

Charles XI

Charles XII

Anders Chydenius

Gustav III

Per Albin Hansson

Raoul Wallenberg

One, you know. It means 1 :D .............
Jan 27, 2017 10:20 AM

Dec 2016
Erg_Orgy said:
Zees said:
Fav from your country
>Romania

lol

OP knows his stuff.

LoL. We are ancient folk, dear asian/mongol neighbro. Also, Transylvania is belong to us.

https://www.agerpres.ro/engleza-destinatie-romania/2014/08/28/destination-romania-the-house-of-matthias-corvinus-the-only-king-born-in-cluj-11-27-50

"Corvinus was born on February 23 1440. (...) Elisabeth (Hungarian: Erzsebet), a Hungarian, was the spouse of John (Romanian: Ioan; Hungarian: Janos) Hunyadi, a famous general of a Romanian noble family."
Also, I. Szent István is an interesting choise. He killed a lot of "Táltos", destroyed any written sources from the ancient/pagan hungarians, and brutally murdered his own uncle.I dont see how is he different from Vlad, if you are stay in your mocking.
VamzerJan 27, 2017 10:40 AM
Jan 27, 2017 10:35 AM

Jul 2015
Zees said:
Fav from your country
>Romania

lol

Maybe because Op is lying in his profile? I know it's you, Dave. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jan 27, 2017 10:40 AM

Jun 2016
Vamzer said:
Erg_Orgy said:

OP knows his stuff.

LoL. We are ancient folk, dear asian/mongol neighbro. Also, Transylvania is belong to us.

Also, I. Szent István is an interesting choise. He killed a lot of "Táltos", destroyed any written sources from the ancient/pagan hungarians, and brutally murdered his own uncle.I dont see how is he different from Vlad, if you are stay in your mocking.

Well good thing I picked László then.

And by the way, István, while being brutal admittedly, did all that to secure Hungary's position and influence in Europe, which required him to convert his nation to Christianity, thus stripping European countries of a casus beli based on religion.

Also, I couldn't care less about who Erdély belongs to, I have nothing against Romania (@Lahance can elaborate on that if you so desire) and if you can't notice or handle this kind of humour well then that's that, nothing to do about it from my part.
Jan 27, 2017 10:45 AM

Dec 2016
Erg_Orgy said:

Also, I couldn't care less about who Erdély belongs to, I have nothing against Romania (@Lahance can elaborate on that if you so desire) and if you can't notice or handle this kind of humour well then that's that, nothing to do about it from my part.

If you are serious, you would call Transylvania is it's real name... Anyway, you are right, it isnt important, cause it is belongs to us, and it will be forever, so any arguement about it is pointless. Everybody undestsands this, expect those stupid nationalists in hungary. Luckily they are only a few of them, and noone really cares about their bullshits. You can understand this, since you are a hungarian jew. I guess you hate those idiots as much as me

King László was a great king, it is right. He is a good choice.
VamzerJan 27, 2017 12:04 PM
Jan 27, 2017 10:46 AM

Jan 2015
Clebardman said:
Zees said:
Fav from your country
>Romania

lol

Maybe because Op is lying in his profile? I know it's you, Dave. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Unlikely considering his comment. Also, I'm not sure why I'm supposed to be Dave, but whatever.

ErgOrgy said:
And by the way, István, while being brutal admittedly, did all that to secure Hungary's position and influence in Europe, which required him to convert his nation to Christianity, thus stripping European countries of a casus beli based on religion.
Usually it's far-right Hungarians who consider István a traitor for betraying the pagan Hungarians. Some also accuse him of mass murdering the old Hungarian elite and filling the country with German knights and whatnot. I doubt Hungary would've survived without converting to Christianity, but a pagan Hungary would've been interesting regardless.

OT: There are many great Hungarian national heroes so it's difficult to choose just one. If we are talking about kings Mátyás was the strongest who turned Hungary into a great power of that era but he was kind of a cunt. If I had to choose a king it would be Louis the Great of Anjou. He defeated his numerous enemies, turned Hungary into a prosperous kingdom (that wasn't terrible for Hungarian peasants like under Matthias' rule), and he was very close to conquering the Kingdom of Naples.

Bit of a controversial opinion but I also consider Horthy to be one of the greatest. He committed terrible acts (like the deportation of jews to ghettos - but Hitler kind of forced him to do so) and in the end we lost WW2, but he refused to betray Poland even when Hitler asked him for help, he punished the officials who committed atrocities against Serbian citizens in Voivodina, he actively tried to save the jews from being sent to extermination camps, and his ultimate goal was to get back lost Hungarian territories. And, even though Hungary literally had nothing after WW1, he managed to turn Hungary into an economically stable country that could actually fight back against the Romanians or the Czechoslovaks.

Deák Ferenc played an active role in the Austro-Hungarian Compromise and his party greatly helped in creating relative peace between the Austrian government and the Hungarians. He was also the believer of silent opposition instead of going gung ho and openly attacking the Austrians, so he is a pretty cool guy as well.
ZeesJan 27, 2017 11:00 AM
Jan 27, 2017 11:03 AM
Oct 2016
@Vamzer Carol I normal, a adus prestigiu României atât pe plan european, cât și intern. De fapt toată familia Hohenzollern până la Carol al II-lea au contribuit imens la dezvoltarea României.
Jan 27, 2017 11:06 AM

Dec 2016
@Zees LoL, i totally didn't expect Horthy would shows up here O.o

Why Mathias was a cunt? Can you expand this?

About Louis the Great of Anjou. His company in Naples was pointless, and totally made the treasury empty.
Jan 27, 2017 11:09 AM

Nov 2016
Rob Ford because he killed all the native americans when he came exploring with his mates.
Jan 27, 2017 11:14 AM

Jan 2015
Vamzer said:
@Zees LoL, i totally didn't expect Horthy would shows up here O.o

Why Mathias was a cunt? Can you expand this?

About Louis the Great of Anjou. His company in Naples was pointless, and totally made the treasury empty.
Well, as I said Horthy is a very controversial figure who is either considered a fascist collaborator or a national hero.

Matthias imposed insanely high taxes on citizens because he had to pay his mercenary army. The famous Black Army was a group of professional mercenaries who had very high quality equipment and were some of the finest soldiers. He had to pay serious money to keep up such an army. Sometimes he continued to issue wartime tax (tax citizens had to pay in times of war to support the crown) even when there was peace. Ironically, he was called Matthias the "Just" decades after his death, because the years that followed after him were some of the darkest times of Hungarian history. The Ottomans conquered much of the country, the Hungarian nobility ruled over peasants like kings, and there was no real government. Because of those harsh conditions people began to think of the era of Matthias as the "golden era", because under his reign Hungary was one of the strongest countries in the world, only behind France and maybe England.

Technically his campaign wasn't completely pointless, he managed to conquer Naples but then he returned to Hungary, only leaving a smaller garrison behind. While he was away, the Italian nobility managed to break free from Hungary.
Jan 27, 2017 11:15 AM

Dec 2016
Zees said:

Deák Ferenc played an active role in the Austro-Hungarian Compromise and his party greatly helped in creating relative peace between the Austrian government and the Hungarians. He was also the believer of silent opposition instead of going gung ho and openly attacking the Austrians, so he is a pretty cool guy as well.

Yeah, I like him too. If hungary has independent military and Foreign Affairs, the glorious trianon would be harder.
Jan 27, 2017 11:21 AM

Dec 2016
Zees said:

Matthias imposed insanely high taxes on citizens because he had to pay his mercenary army. The famous Black Army was a group of professional mercenaries who had very high quality equipment and were some of the finest soldiers. He had to pay serious money to keep up such an army. Sometimes he continued to issue wartime tax (tax citizens had to pay in times of war to support the crown) even when there was peace. Ironically, he was called Matthias the "Just" decades after his death, because the years that followed after him were some of the darkest times of Hungarian history. The Ottomans conquered much of the country, the Hungarian nobility ruled over peasants like kings, and there was no real government. Because of those harsh conditions people began to think of the era of Matthias as the "golden era", because under his reign Hungary was one of the strongest countries in the world, only behind France and maybe England.

You know sometimes you need a serious army to keep the peace. Mathias's army was the only reason why the Ottomans didn't conquered hungary earlier. He was the only one in Europe who could beat and stop the turkish invasion. Even the sultan respected him.
If you have to choose between high taxes or muslim conquere, what would you choose?
VamzerJan 27, 2017 11:25 AM
Jan 27, 2017 11:51 AM

Mar 2008
There's a lot of them, but i'm gonna choose that one who nobody probably knows here. That's sad.

> Teixeira de Freitas - maybe the best jurist that was born here.
Jan 27, 2017 11:53 AM

Dec 2015
Isaac Newton - Probably one of the smartest humans to ever live. Created gravitational theory, calculated the movements of the planets and invented calculus just to win a bet. Truly a one in a billion mind.
Jan 27, 2017 12:21 PM

Dec 2016
Aria said:
There's a lot of them, but i'm gonna choose that one who nobody probably knows here. That's sad.

True. I have no idea, who is he (characterlimit)
Jan 27, 2017 1:35 PM

Mar 2008
Vamzer said:
Aria said:

mm... he's most known in south america, I guess. Especially in Argentina.
My land is a baby compared with european/asian countries, tho.
Jan 27, 2017 1:38 PM

Dec 2016
Aria said:
Vamzer said:

mm... he's most known in south america, I guess. Especially in Argentina.
My land is a baby compared with european/asian countries, tho.

You forget afrika. It is old too, just invented nothing.
Jan 27, 2017 3:27 PM

Jan 2009
Difficult Question, since I have been less interested in the Character and personal Life of a historical Figure than about what the Person has done for their Country and they are quite a lot that I'll restrict myself to the following Persons:

In Terms of Science and Inventions:

Johannes Gutenberg for having his Version of the Printing Press successfully spread.

Hermann Oberth, one of the Founding Fathers of Rocket Technology. His Student, Wernher von Braun practically helped fulfill his Theories.

Also Alexander von Humboldt and Wilhelm von Humboldt, for being famous Scientists and pushing for the Concept of "Bildung" (Education including Self-Cultivation).

In Terms of Language and Culture:

The Brothers Grimm, Johann Wolfgang von Goethe and Martin Luther are probably the most important when it comes to Research of our Language + Culture (Grimm with the Indogermanic Research, with the"German Fairytales"/"Deutsche Märchen", with the "German Legends"/"Deutsche Sagen" and with the "Dictionary of the German Language"/"Deutsches Wörterbuch"), Goethe for being our National Poet and Luther for creating a written Standard with his Bible Translation.
The later was also an important Figure in reforming the Society.

For Leaders it depends from which Point of the History we would begin to count. If Pre-History would be counted, then Arminius is a pretty significant Figure for having beaten the Romans.
Theoderic the Great was a quite capable Eastern Germanic Leader.
Charlemagne or Charles the Great had Significance, because he united the Germanic/Celtic Stems first and it's also where the Terms for the "German-speaking", *þiudisk, diutisc or theodiscus first started to apply in their narrower Sense.

The first significant Leader, who is explicitly referred to as the Founder of the German Nation, was Otto the Great. He defeated both his Enemies from within and from the outside to be chosen as the King of the Germans and later as the Roman Emperor as well.
Then we also have Frederick the Great, who made important Reforms from above and Otto von Bismarck another Leader with a positive Legacy surpassing his own Death.

Then we have quite some important Freedom Fighters like von Blücher + von Lützow and later Schlageter fighting against French Oppression, Stephan Ludwig Roth fighting against Magyarization, Carl Klinke for being our German Kamikaze/self-killing Jihadist against the invading Danes.

Also, we got the Red Baron + some other successful Flying Pilots like Rudel and Hartmann, honorable Persons like Karl Heinz Rosch for Example, who as a German Soldier saved two Kids in the Netherlands while being attacked through Allied Fires and Generals like the Desert Fox.

Note: This is by far not a full List and does not include Contributions from other Cultures such as the Jewish ones and other Fields in Terms of Mathematics like Adam Ries(e), Euler and Gauß, of Philosophy like Kant, Hegel and Gottfried (von) Leibniz, or of Science like Max Planck + Joseph von Fraunhofer, after whom two famous Research Centers are named, Werner (von) Siemens, Phillipp Reis (Inventor of the Telephone), Konrad Zuse (Inventor of the modern Computer), Carl Benz + Gottlieb Daimler (Inventors of the Automobile) and so on and so forth, because it would go beyond the Scope of this Topic and because I barely know Stuff about them myself, other than some basic Information.

Still, there is much to learn from our former Leaders and based on our History

• a Reform through Violence like in France didn't work, does not work and probably won't ever work. Reforms have to happen from a Position from within Power (from above) or by having the responsible Authorities replaced if you can somehow work your Way into an influential Position where you could change how Things run in the Background
  • following extreme Revisionist Policies of the Results of a World War didn't help either, but made Matters even worse
  • having a military Alliance with other powerful Members is important
  • you need to unite your own People through a common Language at the very, very least
  • you need to defeat the Enemies from within before you can defeat outside Enemies
  • Unity gives more Strength

edit: I've forgotten to mention von Fallersleben for creating the Text to our national Anthem and plenty of well-known Children Songs.
NoboruJan 27, 2017 3:42 PM
Jan 27, 2017 3:51 PM

Aug 2016
I remember doing some presentations and projects about Samuel de Champlain in school and for whatever reason I took a liking to him. I guess he's pretty cool, he built the first permanent settlement in Canada.
Jan 27, 2017 6:22 PM

Dec 2016
I'm Canadian, so I'm probably supposed to like some hockey player like Wayne Gretzky or something, but the truth is I loath hockey with a passion...

So I guess I'll pick James Wolfe, simply cause he has a cool sounding name and he beat the lousy French in Quebec making Canada a whole country.
Jan 27, 2017 6:30 PM

Apr 2012
I'm just gonna keep it short.

James Edward Oglethorpe

Benjamin Franklin
Jan 27, 2017 6:43 PM

Jun 2014
Three words: Teddy motherf***ing Roosevelt.

He was one badass president.
Jan 28, 2017 1:58 AM

Jan 2009
Rarusu_ said:
Friedrich reminds me a lot of Charles XI/Karl XI of Sweden. Both were strictly Protestant, very principled and engaged in the military.
It's quite possible that they have some Things in common when they have partially the same Culture.

Those Prussian Virtues aren't unfortunately not enforced enough in our Societies, especially with the Newcomers. If we had Frederick the Great in Charge, we wouldn't have had the Refugee-Crisis and the Problems with the Immigrants in the first Place, because he wouldn't have tolerated those, who, to say it in the Words of our current political Leader, "mock the Country that has taken them in".
Religious Tolerance is alright, but being cucked abused is not. And the less something is done about it, the more likely we'll get Leaders like Hitler, who may be very efficient during their first Years, but put too much at Stake and ultimately lose more than they have managed to win.
Jan 28, 2017 2:30 AM

Aug 2016
Garfield, because I also hate Mondays...
Jan 28, 2017 3:29 AM

Mar 2016
Miyamoto Musashi
Reason: Was a bad ass samurai who used Dual Blades who has really cool History behind him.
No joke if ever do history on the man he was a all out highly skilled man who even wrote a book before he died called "The Book of Five Rings"

That is about the only Japanese historical figure I really like.

Don't have any American ones can think of sadly.

Jan 28, 2017 3:46 AM

Apr 2015
The man, the myth, the legend himself. You wouldn't expect someone to become so famous for going around murdering cops and what not but hey, Australia.

hi
Sets
Last FM
Anime List
Manga List
Clue no. 2: Somewhere in one of the pictures in my forum signature.
Jan 28, 2017 5:52 AM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
Napoléon, cuz dem gay muscles :333

Jan 28, 2017 11:03 AM

Jan 2009
Rarusu_ said:
Yeah, I sometimes wonder what they would think if they saw their countries today, but more interestingly, what they would do in this situation.
They would be probably first very astonished about how Things have changed from how they knew it. Aside from the social Differences with lots of People being visibly from foreign Countries, there's also a huge technological Gap that would probably take anyone aback, who would find himself suddenly a few Centuries in the Future.

If they could, they would immediately strengthen the Army/Police and imprison every Trouble-Maker (including paid Antifa-Protesters, violent Neo-Nazis/Hooligans and fake Asylum Seekers). But realistically spoken, if someone like Frederick the Great attempted to do anything, he'd probably get behind barred Windows for "Inciting the Masses" (or "Hate Speech").
Jan 28, 2017 12:58 PM
Jul 2018
Either FDR or JFK, but probably FDR.

Jan 28, 2017 2:59 PM
May 2016
I honestly don't really like any of them :/
Jan 28, 2017 7:11 PM
Jul 2018
Philippines

mine is Andres Bonifacio, a hero who is a patriot/radical and a bad-ass in my opinion, but he was betrayed by fellow countrymen in the end though

...deserves to be the national hero

More topics from this board

» Dracula, Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde or Frankenstein(books)?

Absurdo_N - 2 hours ago

5 by Kamikaze_404 »»
5 minutes ago

» What do yall collect? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bevarnow - Jan 25

311 by bevarnow »»
39 minutes ago

» I got spooked by a water bottle

tsukareru - 4 hours ago

9 by Zettaiken »»
50 minutes ago

» Do you enjoy nature?

Kamikaze_404 - 7 hours ago

20 by Zettaiken »»
54 minutes ago

» Fill this thread with the most questionable statement or two you can think of!

IAmOdie - Apr 20

28 by Zarutaku »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.