Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 26, 2017 4:37 AM
Jan 2017
In order to explain this question, I think it'd be best to describe my background on anime a bit.

I'm not a HUGE fan of anime, but I do watch a fair bit and enjoy most, probably all, the series I watch. My favorites include Clannad, Wolf's Rain, Shinsekai Yori, Aldnoah Zero, Guilty Crown, Terror no Renosance, and a lot more.

Basically, I watch and enjoy most anime. I've never watched a show that I would rate below 7 out of 10.

With this said, it confuses me that there are so many anime reviews out there that completely bash anime straight to Hades with their 1-4/10's. Why? What do you mean Guilty Crown had no "character development"? As blindly as I may watch and enjoy anime, anyone can see that Shu matured drastically. I just don't understand people writing multiple pages worth of reviews about anime I enjoyed so much. (Why? Just write a simple, few paragraph worth of information. Just.. why?)

I'm just curious to learn about how others watch anime, especially those harsh, critical reviewers. Do you think carefully about plot while watching it? If yes, why not immerse yourself into the story? Is it that bad? Do you really cringe if a serious anime has comedy in it (I never understood this. Just because an anime is serious, it can't have comedy at all? That seems completely illogical, imo).

Anyways, it's my first time posting, so I'm looking forward to talking with you all. Thanks!
SttrriaJan 26, 2017 4:48 AM
Jan 26, 2017 4:42 AM

Apr 2014
I watch based on enjoyment, but that's just me. And as far as the Guilty Crown aspect goes, here's a question. Can you replace that character at the end of the show with the character he was at the beginning at the show, and not see a clear difference? IF not, than there was almost no character development.
Jan 26, 2017 4:50 AM

Oct 2007
"Do things how I want OR ELSE"

Nah, but sometimes you can think an anime is absolute garbage but still enjoy it. For example I gave Keijo a 4 - it was truly, truly awful, but I laughed a lot and had fun watching it for that very fact.
Jan 26, 2017 4:53 AM
Jan 2017
Kuromii said:

Nah, but sometimes you can think an anime is absolute garbage but still enjoy it. For example I gave Keijo a 4 - it was truly, truly awful, but I laughed a lot and had fun watching it for that very fact.

How was it awful? I wish people would explain in their reviews what about a show makes them feel like it's awful. And you enjoyed it because it was awful..? Now I'm even more confused lol
Jan 26, 2017 4:56 AM
Jan 2017
Milk_is_Special said:
I watch based on enjoyment, but that's just me. And as far as the Guilty Crown aspect goes, here's a question. Can you replace that character at the end of the show with the character he was at the beginning at the show, and not see a clear difference? IF not, than there was almost no character development.

Have you watched GC? I'd like to get your opinion on the show. I have a strange fondness towards that show. I thoroughly enjoyed it, even after watching it twice. And yes, based on your question, I do believe there was character development
Jan 26, 2017 5:04 AM

Feb 2015
I watch anime with a dick in my hand ye
Jan 26, 2017 5:05 AM

Mar 2008
Sttrria said:
With this said, it confuses me that there are so many anime reviews out there that completely bash anime straight to Hades with their 1-4/10's. Why?
If you can comprehend why someone might make a review with 6-10/10, then surely the reviewing of the remainder is not such a leap of the imagination.

What do you mean Guilty Crown had no "character development"? As blindly as I may watch and enjoy anime, anyone can see that Shu matured drastically.
Either you're making a misrepresentative exaggeration here or you should go and ask that particular reviewer in question.

I just don't understand people writing multiple pages worth of reviews about anime I enjoyed so much.
Irrelevant. Whether you like something or not, people can and will hold diverging opinions. People also like to share their opinions, much as you are doing now.

(Why? Just write a simple, few paragraph worth of information. Just.. why?)

While you might find something absurd, unnecessary, or difficult, it must surprise you to know that others might not find it so!

Do you think carefully about plot while watching it? If yes, why not immerse yourself into the story?
Surely we can immerse ourselves whilst also thinking. Surely we can immerse and then think: reflection, contemplation, review. In fact, there are surely anime that require thought and engagement in order to properly comprehend and thus immerse oneself.

Do you really cringe if a serious anime has comedy in it (I never understood this. Just because an anime is serious, it can't have comedy at all? That seems completely illogical, imo).
Sounds like you're picking up on poorly formed arguments. A serious moment could certainly be compromised by a mistimed or poor joke, but humour is most certainly a commonly found element in 'serious' works. (See: comic relief)
Jan 26, 2017 5:08 AM

Jan 2017
I dropped Guilty Crown after one episode because I would've needed more barf bags to keep going on.
"Now, come here. So long as we hold hands, we won't be separated."
Jan 26, 2017 5:16 AM

Jan 2014
You see the more anime you watch the more judgmental you become, and it's not just about anime it's about everything the more you do the more you know about it (good and bad).
But you see, in anime considering the community, everyone want's to voice their opinions.
in these days people don't even care if they enjoy the show or not they just want to talk about it and show off how much they know about everything.
all i can say is just don't let it get to you, ignore it. let'em have it if that's what they enjoy doing.
Jan 26, 2017 5:20 AM

Apr 2016
One thing you need to understand is that people have different ways of rating things. People also have different tastes in almost everything. Some people also tend to tough it out and finish an anime they didn't thoroughly enjoy, for various reasons only they can tell, hence the harsh ratings. People also have different parameters and standards on which they judge something. So, something that you may absolutely love for some reason, one can absolutely abhor for another reason or even for the same reason.

Not every one is the same.
Something witty that makes you think I'm funny

Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier
Jan 26, 2017 5:20 AM
Jan 2017
Ckan,

.. You seem to have misunderstood most of what I've said. Before I explain myself in more detail, can you not deal with my post like a teacher correcting an essay? Let's have a normal conversation please

There's a reason why I mentioned that I can't imagine myself rating and anime below 7. I enjoy all anime I watch, and I fail to understand how someone would think that an anime is absolute "garbage," as many describe. With that said, I'm not looking for a critical analysis of my own thought. I posted to hold a conversation of understanding

No, there's no exaggeration at all in my post. If you look at a few Guilty Crown reviews, there are bound to be those who say there is no character development at all in the series. There are quite a lot of reviews that state that

Yeap. I expressed my opinion and I explained how I don't understand how people can hate an anime series so much. Can you not tell me that others can hold their own opinions, and maybe give an example of an anime you hate and explain why you hate it? I'm here to understand how others watch anime.

I'm not dumb. Why are you trying to teach me a lesson? Obviously, people can go back and review an anime after watching it. Obviously, people can think while watching anime. What I'm asking here is if they DON'T immerse themselves and try to pinpoint the faults and such, or if the things that bother them during the show enough to affect.. sigh I really don't want to explain myself anymore..

No. There are a lot of reviews out there that clearly state that they think an anime is bad because it has comedy, when it's a serious anime. Guilty Crown and Clannad are good examples. They say that because these series have comedy, then move onto a serious setting, they think the anime is bad and inconsistent.

Look. I doubt I wrote horribly to the point that you think I'm some idiot who thinks people can't think while watching a show and can't hold their own opinions. If I didn't write clearly enough, maybe ask me to clarify, instead of assume that I'm an idiot. Thanks
SttrriaJan 26, 2017 5:24 AM
Jan 26, 2017 5:27 AM
Jan 2017
bikers123 said:
One thing you need to understand is that people have different ways of rating things. People also have different tastes in almost everything. Some people also tend to tough it out and finish an anime they didn't thoroughly enjoy, for various reasons only they can tell, hence the harsh ratings. People also have different parameters and standards on which they judge something. So, something that you may absolutely love for some reason, one can absolutely abhor for another reason or even for the same reason.

Not every one is the same.

Thasks bikers123 and Jobafish. I'm new to this website and the anime community, so it just confuses me how people can straight up call an anime garbage and such. Thank you both for your kind explanations ^ ^
Jan 26, 2017 5:32 AM

Apr 2014
Sttrria said:
Milk_is_Special said:

Have you watched GC? I'd like to get your opinion on the show. I have a strange fondness towards that show. I thoroughly enjoyed it, even after watching it twice. And yes, based on your question, I do believe there was character development
Nope haven't seen it, and it isn't really high on my priority list either.
Jan 26, 2017 5:35 AM
Jan 2017
Milk_is_Special said:
Sttrria said:

Nope haven't seen it, and it isn't really high on my priority list either.

Hmm well any anime recommendations, and any anime you straight up hate or thought was horrible? Even after reading multiple reviews, I still can't understand why people hate certain series.
Jan 26, 2017 5:38 AM

Jul 2013
Kuromii said:

Sounds like a typical sheep, *Look at these opinions and I will just give it a low score*

If Clannad is boring then I say it is cr*p.

I just watch anime and if it doesn't seem entertaining to an extent then I drop it and if it is good then I give it a decent score
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 26, 2017 5:44 AM
Jan 2017
Renaultclio101 said:
Kuromii said:

Sounds like a typical sheep, *Look at these opinions and I will just give it a low score*

If Clannad is boring then I say it is cr*p.

I just watch anime and if it doesn't seem entertaining to an extent then I drop it and if it is good then I give it a decent score

Mind going into detail on what makes an anime crap? The only series I absolutely hated watching so far was Golden Time, my reason being horrible character design. The girl literally moves from being crazy on one guy to his best friend in the first few episodes. Then there's the MC who seems kinda calm, then goes straight to flirting with public. Not to mention the multipersonalities.. I dropped it on my 2nd attempt

Have yet to see such horrible character designs on any other series I've watched so far, most of which are filled with low-rating reviews
Jan 26, 2017 5:48 AM

Jun 2016
Once the series gotten... me or get me onto my very edge of my seat....

There are the times... I binged watching it... Even though how simple/underrated the series is..

Doesn't matter whether others recommend me something to watch...
I just paying attention on my own :D
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 26, 2017 5:53 AM

Jul 2013
Sttrria said:

Mind going into detail on what makes an anime crap? The only series I absolutely hated watching so far was Golden Time, my reason being horrible character design. The girl literally moves from being crazy on one guy to his best friend in the first few episodes. Then there's the MC who seems kinda calm, then goes straight to flirting with public. Not to mention the multipersonalities.. I dropped it on my 2nd attempt

Have yet to see such horrible character designs on any other series I've watched so far, most of which are filled with low-rating reviews

I guess it comes down to opinions based on the series itself. I could say I am into romance genre but there are certain series when I watched it wasn't enjoyable but rather boring/not meeting my expectations.

I will use clannad, it was slow paced and was supposed to be based on a reality however near the end it went to a fantasy ending which does not happen in reality.

Yes I judge anime based on the art such as "Aku no Hana" , dropped it after few minutes due to unbearable art.
In addition, I am not a fan of Durarara as the way the story is told like focuses on each character where as I prefer it is combined with explaining every single character.

Golden Time, I actually really enjoyed the series, it portrays a strong romance and character development as well as feelings. I don't know what episode you are on but basically the guy had a brain injury accident and he has forgot the past so as the story progresses he starts remembering the past and it gets to the point where he has a girlfriend and realizes he has a crush on someone who is close to him. I don't think the design of Golden Time was that bad , infact it is "high" standard
Jan 26, 2017 5:55 AM

Mar 2008
I like of being surprised, although i also care a lot for the characters quality and other things, i really enjoy an anime when it isn't predictable.That's probably all.
Jan 26, 2017 6:02 AM
Jan 2017
Renaultclio101 said:
Sttrria said:

I guess it comes down to opinions based on the series itself. I could say I am into romance genre but there are certain series when I watched it wasn't enjoyable but rather boring/not meeting my expectations.

I will use clannad, it was slow paced and was supposed to be based on a reality however near the end it went to a fantasy ending which does not happen in reality.

Yes I judge anime based on the art such as "Aku no Hana" , dropped it after few minutes due to unbearable art.
In addition, I am not a fan of Durarara as the way the story is told like focuses on each character where as I prefer it is combined with explaining every single character.

Golden Time, I actually really enjoyed the series, it portrays a strong romance and character development as well as feelings. I don't know what episode you are on but basically the guy had a brain injury accident and he has forgot the past so as the story progresses he starts remembering the past and it gets to the point where he has a girlfriend and realizes he has a crush on someone who is close to him. I don't think the design of Golden Time was that bad , infact it is "high" standard

Oh wow that's completely unexpected hahah. I guess it really does come down to personal preference. Clannad was the very first anime I watched, and I think it was very enjoyable the 3 times I watched it. I really enjoy slow, relaxing shows, and I particularly like the concept of family in romance anime. I have yet to another anime put such emphasis on family like Clannad has, and I think that's why I enjoy it so much. Plus, it packed a punch of feels for me in the 2nd season

Yeah I really didn't like the artwork for Aku no Hana as well. Try the manga, maybe? The story is quite interesting, and the artwork is nice too

Romance is my favorite genre as well. I really should finish Golden Time. I stopped watching at the part where The MC is looking at his own body. I felt like the current MC disappeared and I just gave up. The main reason I dropped it was because of the girl. I find her extremely annoying, how she acts so lovey dovey with the MC's friend, and then she suddenly moves onto the MC just like that. I was very turned off by that. I felt like love requires a bit more time, time for connection and understanding. I will definitely give it another go though. I didn't really give it much a chance because I disliked the female character
SttrriaJan 26, 2017 6:08 AM
Jan 26, 2017 6:04 AM
Jan 2017
Aria said:
I like of being surprised, although i also care a lot for the characters quality and other things, i really enjoy an anime when it isn't predictable.That's probably all.

Hmm maybe Steins;Gate and Durarara/Buccano? ^ ^
Jan 26, 2017 6:09 AM

Mar 2008
Sttrria said:
Ckan,

.. You seem to have misunderstood most of what I've said. Before I explain myself in more detail, can you not deal with my post like a teacher correcting an essay? Let's have a normal conversation please

There's a reason why I mentioned that I can't imagine myself rating and anime below 7. I enjoy all anime I watch, and I fail to understand how someone would think that an anime is absolute "garbage," as many describe. With that said, I'm not looking for a critical analysis of my own thought. I posted to hold a conversation of understanding

No, there's no exaggeration at all in my post. If you look at a few Guilty Crown reviews, there are bound to be those who say there is no character development at all in the series. There are quite a lot of reviews that state that

Yeap. I expressed my opinion and I explained how I don't understand how people can hate an anime series so much. Can you not tell me that others can hold their own opinions, and maybe give an example of an anime you hate and explain why you hate it? I'm here to understand how others watch anime.

I'm not dumb. Why are you trying to teach me a lesson? Obviously, people can go back and review an anime after watching it. Obviously, people can think while watching anime. What I'm asking here is if they DON'T immerse themselves and try to pinpoint the faults and such, or if the things that bother them during the show enough to affect.. sigh I really don't want to explain myself anymore..

No. There are a lot of reviews out there that clearly state that they think an anime is bad because it has comedy, when it's a serious anime. Guilty Crown and Clannad are good examples. They say that because these series have comedy, then move onto a serious setting, they think the anime is bad and inconsistent.

Look. I doubt I wrote horribly to the point that you think I'm some idiot who thinks people can't think while watching a show and can't hold their own opinions. If I didn't write clearly enough, maybe ask me to clarify, instead of assume that I'm an idiot. Thanks

No, I do not think I misunderstood you at all except quite possibly misjudging the genuineness of your innocent willingness to avoid simple truths. If my post seems condescending or simplistic it is because I thought it the most effective method of communication in light of the straightforward and incompleteness of your written thought. It was not a matter of clarity - it is the seeming lack of initiative in your pursuit of these answers that gave rise to my perhaps flippant answers.

But sure, let us have a conversation if such a thing is possible in the face of distortion and dogged avoidance.

You enjoy all anime you watch. In fact, you cannot imagine yourself rating anime below a 7, I see! Most admirable. But now you mean to tell me that it is absolutely beyond your understanding how anyone could consider an anime garbage? Do you not consider anything worthless or petty? At all? Have you ever met nonsense? Experienced a waste of time? Can you not bear that thought? I mean, seriously, if you cannot host that little imagination then I doubt we could ever come to an understanding.

If you can comprehend - if you can imagine, then now you can understand how someone might come to consider an anime garbage. Oh, but if that is beyond understanding let us not lose hope. Because we do not even have to [i[believe[/i] this anime garbage - in this instance we might only say it! To describe it! To use the words in such a way that we might not truly mean it but perhaps think it an apt descriptor for our purposes.

Ah, but why? Why would someone say something they do not mean? Thoughtlessness? Carelessness? Devilry, perhaps - an intention to lie or deceive! Some wicked folks say mean things in order to hurt and disconcert. Some folks might lash out at things in order to gather some modicum of control over their life - to release their aggression and vent their suppressed feelings of frustration, anger, and despair.
People! Is it not wonderful how the possibilities expand with that wondrous element. When a person acts we can comprehend only the act, then through the act we might perhaps discover the person. In this case we must make assumptions - guesses based on our gut feelings, experience, and various comprehensions. It is our ability to convey, recognise, and relate to this dichotomy of actions and people that allows us to converse - to understand.

If we take every bill and joe reviewer on this site for there word there would be no end to it. We must be discerning! What words have they said? What do those words mean? What do they mean? What did they mean to mean? What do they really mean? What meaning is there in this meaning?

Because either the meaning has become distorted, or perhaps people mean what they mean! If people mean what they mean then it means that they mean what they mean and that meaning must have been borne of somewhere. In this case that meaning is the meaning they have found in the anime. Their understanding of the anime and their person combines into the act of their review. Their review is what conveys that to us. We must now comprehend the meanings that are being meant and the meanings that are unsaid.

Understanding how people watch anime requires an understanding of people and an understanding of understanding. Do you understand? People understand what they understand but sometimes what they understand is not actually the understanding that they would have if they took the time to consider their understanding. If we truly wish to understand the ways of people; we must understand the way. The way of understanding watching is to understand watching. The way of watching involves people. Thus we must understand people, understand understanding, and understand watching; all these we must understand in order to understand watching.

It is because we are not dumb that we should strive to understand. It is because we strive to understand that we realise we do not wholly understand. We do not wholly understand, and so we must learn to understand more. We must learn what we do not understand. Always, we are learning; always we understand.

If the comprehension of the whole is too difficult; break it down. If we can understand the minutiae and smaller instances then perhaps we can extrapolate a rule or framework from which we can come to understand the greater ideas.

How can we dislike? How can we hate? How do we review? How do we write? How do we understand? How can things be rubbish?

What do we dislike? What do we hate? What do we review? What do we write? What do we understand? What is rubbish?

If we cannot understand people then we should try to understand a person. If we cannot understand another person then we should learn to understand ourselves.

Understanding our self, we might come to understand others.

How do you watch anime? If that is how you watch anime, why do you watch anime that way? Knowing our anime, only then can we truly understand the anime of others.
Jan 26, 2017 6:21 AM

Mar 2008
Sttrria said:
Aria said:

Hmm maybe Steins;Gate and Durarara/Buccano? ^ ^

yeah, but it doesn't means that i dislike all predictable shows too. Miyazaki's films usually are predictable in many ways, but still good for other reasons. I refer mainly for these that doesn't do anything to being different from usual.
Jan 26, 2017 6:26 AM
Jan 2017
Ckan,

Didn't wanna be completely rude, so I skimmed through your reply. All you needed to say was, "Everyone has their own opinions. It's impossible for you to think that there isn't a bad anime. Have you experienced a moment you felt like you were wasting time? There, now apply that to anime. There are anime people watch, which they feel have wasted their time on afterwards.

Again, that's not what I was asking. You pry too deeply into my description that you stray away from my original question.

Can you not view my prompt as an essay? I'm trying to have a friendly conversation right now. You still fail to understand.

All I want to know is this: WHAT ABOUT THE ANIME YOU DISLIKE MAKES YOU DISLIKE IT? Is it the character design? Plot holes? Explain those to me.

That's it. Simple. You're completely hung up on my description and my opinions that you forgot about my original question.
SttrriaJan 26, 2017 6:33 AM
Jan 26, 2017 6:30 AM

Aug 2016
As much as I hate to admit it, Im a person easily influenced by opinions. For example, a lot of people disliked Occultic;Nine. At first, I couldnt understand why people disliked it so much, but they expressed their htred about weird camera angles and the story being extremely confusing and as I reevaluate the story, I realize theyre right, which made me knock it down a few points.

Like, if i show I liked at first becomes boring or just painful to watch, I drop it and give it score I think it deserves. Really, I mainly rate my shows by entertainment, but try to keep in mind if the anime was actually (storywise) good.
Jan 26, 2017 6:32 AM

Mar 2015
Like what you feel that you like. Love something that you love. Dont listen to others. Dont feel down. Dont embarrassed with your taste ESPECIALLY ON THE INTERNET.

Gilty Crown - I like it
Aldnoah Zero - One of my FAV
This salad is salty favored
Jan 26, 2017 6:34 AM

Dec 2016
I felt like I saw this exact same post yesterday.

But in any case, I watch it as normal people do. Except during ecchi scenes my pants lower ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 26, 2017 6:38 AM
Jan 2017
smartie344 said:
As much as I hate to admit it, Im a person easily influenced by opinions. For example, a lot of people disliked Occultic;Nine. At first, I couldnt understand why people disliked it so much, but they expressed their htred about weird camera angles and the story being extremely confusing and as I reevaluate the story, I realize theyre right, which made me knock it down a few points.

Like, if i show I liked at first becomes boring or just painful to watch, I drop it and give it score I think it deserves. Really, I mainly rate my shows by entertainment, but try to keep in mind if the anime was actually (storywise) good.

Hahah in regards to other stuff, I am like that too. I'm very easily influenced by others. However, the reviews I've come across seem nonsense to me. Idk if you've watched Clannad or Guilty Crown. They are fairly popular, especially Clannad. Yet, people say the weirdest things I just don't understand in their reviews. No character development.. what? The MC literally went from SPOILERS SPOILERS spoilers ahead;; a whimpy, runaway 24/7 to a badass, take everyone's diseases and burdens at the cost of his own life.

Spoilers have ended

That isn't character development? Then what is, right?
SttrriaJan 26, 2017 6:46 AM
Jan 26, 2017 6:41 AM
Jan 2017
Esper said:
Like what you feel that you like. Love something that you love. Dont listen to others. Dont feel down. Dont embarrassed with your taste ESPECIALLY ON THE INTERNET.

Gilty Crown - I like it

Hehe I like your tastes. That's true. I just want to understand and hear a sound argument about why they hate my favorite anime. Not just the usual bs..

These are things I often read on bs reviews:
- Cliche
- Full of plot holes
- No character development

First off, it's pretty darn hard to think of a completely original idea these days. Some things are meant to be similar. Just because Aldnoah Zero has mech doesn't mean it was a copy of Gundam, nor is the MC a copy of Lelouch from Code Grease because of his eye power... yes, I've read such reviews
2nd, you can't expect an anime series to cover EVERYTHING in just 12-24 episodes. Just leave certain things open-ended..
3rdly, there's always character development in anime. Well, nearly always, as long as time is flowing.
SttrriaJan 26, 2017 6:47 AM
Jan 26, 2017 6:43 AM
Jan 2017
Saediss said:
I felt like I saw this exact same post yesterday.

But in any case, I watch it as normal people do. Except during ecchi scenes my pants lower ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

..... I can't stop laughing.
Yes, you proud sir, do what you must.
Jan 26, 2017 6:46 AM

Mar 2008
Hi guys, I'm Ckan! I watch anime and I looove it!! Do you like anime too? Anime is so great! I have many favourite anime, too many to list, but let me tell you about my watching habits!

When I watch anime I sometimes think to myself, "Why am I doing this? What is the point? Is this really anime? Where is the meaning? Is this shit? Am I dead? What is life? How old is the Sun? Our fleeting life is impermanence and imperfection; why live?"

These questions come to mind as my mind interacts with the stimulation before me; a mix and match of sights and sound! When words are said, I must listen. When words appear, I must read. I feel the music all around me as the sounds of Japanese people talking wrap around my heart and squeeze emotion into my veins. My lungs breath in gasps of explosive movement as my eyes pop in vigorous exercise.

Anime. It is a mystery. Anime before me, anime within me. Anime without me. Anime is so many things; it is so few things. There is no African anime, for example. Or is there? I do not know. Exposition rests in my shadow as I ponder what to watch. Is it time for anime? This is always a heavy decision involving the measurement and weighing of time and pleasurable gain against the possible losses of life and choice.

But there is no choice. Anime, on! The screen fades from black. The pixels change. Anime watching, a forgone and mysterious art: there is so much to be said about it; it moves me to tears.

BUT THEN HATE APPEARS
Anger. Disdain. Frustration. Disgust. Contempt. Scorn so real that it stills the tongue and fills the eyes.
How could Senpai pick bakachan over moekun? What was actually the point of the excursion to belltower hamlet? They didn't even ring a bell for heaven's sake! Why did I watch this? Argh, so bad. So stupid. So dumdumb. What a waste of time! What a waste of time. What a waste of time. What a waste of time.

What, waste of time? What waste of time? It wasn't so bad. Or was it?
;_;
Jan 26, 2017 6:58 AM

Oct 2007
Renaultclio101 said:
Kuromii said:

What? No, I watched it for the hilarity of it and got what I expected. Movements/attacks that are physically impossible, tits bouncing and gripping and doing things that made me cringe at the thought of treating my own in such a way, women smashing their asses and boobs together and not reeling away in pain? Hell if someone elbows me i mine it hurts like hell, nevermind smashing them into things at the speeds those girls did.

I watched it and it was awful but entertaining. Its like people who watch Sharknado or The Human Centipede. They're godawful but so damn funny because of it.
Jan 26, 2017 7:06 AM

Mar 2015
Sttrria said:
Esper said:

Gilty Crown - I like it

Hehe I like your tastes. That's true. I just want to understand and hear a sound argument about why they hate my favorite anime. Not just the usual bs..

These are things I often read on bs reviews:
- Cliche
- Full of plot holes
- No character development

First off, it's pretty darn hard to think of a completely original idea these days. Some things are meant to be similar. Just because Aldnoah Zero has mech doesn't mean it was a copy of Gundam, nor is the MC a copy of Lelouch from Code Grease because of his eye power... yes, I've read such reviews
2nd, you can't expect an anime series to cover EVERYTHING in just 12-24 episodes. Just leave certain things open-ended..
3rdly, there's always character development in anime. Well, nearly always, as long as time is flowing.
Fuck that. All those just an excuse when they dislike the story. They will keep their eyes close when they like that story. Meh.

Just like what you like. Trying to think too hard and try yo prove other people is wrong just a waste of time.
EsperJan 26, 2017 7:09 AM
This salad is salty favored
Jan 26, 2017 7:27 AM

Jan 2016
I never seriously watch anime in terms of critiquing every little thing that happens or trying to understand why they made this design choice and not a different one. If I did that I feel like it would take all the fun out of it and thats the entire reason I watch anime.

If I sat through say One Punch Man but told myself "Man this is such a stupid anime Saitama is so overpowered, such a bad design choice and its very unfunny." I feel like that would take away from the entire point of watching One Punch Man. I didn't watch it and expect a damn oscar-worthy performance or a shonen-type character development, I watched it for pure joy and to relax.

There are times where I think deeply about things that happen in the anime I watch, such as Neon Genesis Evangelion which if your actually paying attention it mindfucks you and makes you think. I appreciate those types of anime.

On top of the points i made earlier, I think my rating system speaks for itself that I don't give a crap about critically reviewing anime like im Roger Ebert or Rotten Tomatoes. I can understand why people rate the way they do when it comes to reviews for the sake of other potential watchers, but just as i do with Rotten Tomatoes i never look at the reviews but end up making my own decisions. The only opinions i take to heart are my friends whom I can have a decent, well-spoken discussion with about the anime.

Im not saying there are no generally bad anime, there are. But if someone has a mean score of 3.00 and have watched a good amount of anime something is seriously wrong with the way they look at anime in the first place.
Taiga is Knowledge, Taiga is Power, Taiga is Life
Jan 26, 2017 7:30 AM

Jul 2014
I mean, SAO looked pretty but the storyline was complete SHIT.
Jan 26, 2017 9:37 AM

Feb 2016
As for me I'm watching Anime for different reasons. Well enjoyment is a big point in there - but I also watched a lot of "trash". [not to offend any fans of the series I did not like/enjoy]

For me - I usually dive into an anime almost blind. I don't read reviews. I'm not looking for information. If I get confronted with information - such as cast/staff - a PV/Trailer - that's fine - but I usually don't care, if it's not something based on my favorite manga/ln or done by my favorite director.

I also feel like if I want to give a score/rate an anime after watching it - I should watch the whole series. So I'm finishing shows I'm actually having an awful time just to give them a score of 1/10 or 2/10. So I'm not dropping any anime [well OP is dropped by now - but once it's done one day I'm pretty sure I'll finish it anyway] - manga & LN are something different.

Watching an anime because of enjoyment is a great thing. I also love to try out new things - same goes for anime - so I start shows that might look weird/boring or even have a bad score. But that's ok. Anime is a Hobby & I love to invest a lot of time into Anime. I've done so for years and probably won't change.
→Why watching "bad" Anime - while I could watch good ones? Or at least better ones? I'm not really sure myself - but the more shows you watch the better you can rate something that seems "bad". I'd also say that there are shows that won't look "good" to you until you've finished a lot of anime before.
[Well all of this - is when I'm watching by myself]

If I'm watching with friends or my husband - we pick out "good" ones - well anime that seem to be good.
Jan 26, 2017 9:42 AM

Jun 2015
Kuromii said:
Renaultclio101 said:

What? No, I watched it for the hilarity of it and got what I expected. Movements/attacks that are physically impossible, tits bouncing and gripping and doing things that made me cringe at the thought of treating my own in such a way, women smashing their asses and boobs together and not reeling away in pain? Hell if someone elbows me i mine it hurts like hell, nevermind smashing them into things at the speeds those girls did.

I watched it and it was awful but entertaining. Its like people who watch Sharknado or The Human Centipede. They're godawful but so damn funny because of it.

Did you think to consider that hilarity was maybe the show's intent?
Jan 26, 2017 10:59 AM

Oct 2007
AltoRoark said:
Kuromii said:

Did you think to consider that hilarity was maybe the show's intent?

Good grief you people don't like reading, do you? Yes I am well aware that the hilarity was the point, hence why I watched it, hence why it was funny. Just because it was funny doesn't make it a good show. How is that so hard to understand?
Jan 26, 2017 11:15 AM

Jul 2015
I try going into an anime with an open mind and objective attitude. Usually when i rate a show its primarily based on the major flaws (or no flaws at all) that stuck out the most. I usually don't give a series a bad rating like below a 7 if I know for sure why I gave it. If I really had no reason to give a series a bad rating or cannot think of one, I usually give it a 7, which correlates to a "meh" in my book. But unlike some people on here, I know why I give a series the score it did and why it deserves it.

Of course, all opinions are subjective, so I will try to provide a little more info on my background and preferences if somebody ask why I rated as series the way I did. I watch anime purely for entertainment purposes, but of course I would want my mind to be stimulated at the same time - that is thinking about what's going to happen next, trying to predict character's emotions etc. So I enjoy anime that's "well done" no matter what the genre is.
_IconicJan 26, 2017 11:19 AM
Jan 26, 2017 11:43 AM

Jun 2015
@Kuromii Do tell what makes a comedy show good if it isn't the comedy.
Jan 26, 2017 11:55 AM
Jan 2017
_Ionic said:
I try going into an anime with an open mind and objective attitude. Usually when i rate a show its primarily based on the major flaws (or no flaws at all) that stuck out the most. I usually don't give a series a bad rating like below a 7 if I know for sure why I gave it. If I really had no reason to give a series a bad rating or cannot think of one, I usually give it a 7, which correlates to a "meh" in my book. But unlike some people on here, I know why I give a series the score it did and why it deserves it.

Of course, all opinions are subjective, so I will try to provide a little more info on my background and preferences if somebody ask why I rated as series the way I did. I watch anime purely for entertainment purposes, but of course I would want my mind to be stimulated at the same time - that is thinking about what's going to happen next, trying to predict character's emotions etc. So I enjoy anime that's "well done" no matter what the genre is.

Yea, that's how I usually rate anime. 10 is perfect, which I rarely ever give (maybe 1 or 2 of my absolute favorites). 9 is awesome, 8 is great, 7 is good, and 6 is meh for me. I end up enjoying most of what I watch, which I usually give 7-9, and 6 is for those meh anime, which I rarely come across.

Anything below, idk. I've yet to watch an anime that is so faulty to the point where I'd have to give it below 6. Every anime has been put in effort, an emmense amount of work went into the series for our enjoyment. I fail to see why anyone would give an anime a completely bashful rating and call it trash :U

And again, that's what I'm here for. I want to hear others opinions on what they think makes an anime trash
Jan 26, 2017 12:07 PM

Jan 2013
With my eyes duh, how else would I watch it?
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jan 26, 2017 12:11 PM
Jan 26, 2017 9:04 PM

Apr 2013
I watch based on the name, sometimes the synopsis or because I want to break away from my 'comfort zone' because I don't want to become biased.
"A miracle... They're just glorious misunderstandings."
Jan 27, 2017 8:48 AM
Jan 2017
Cabron said:
With my eyes duh, how else would I watch it?

Then the question would have been, "With what do you watch anime." Duh
Jan 27, 2017 11:59 AM
Feb 2014
I watch Anime because i personally enjoy it as it was a big part of my childhood and still is today. The people who write these (incredibly) detailed reviews are taking it way too seriously in my opinion. I have been watching anime for years and cannot manage to write a single review well XD
I watch anime online :D Sometimes dubbed sometimes subbed.
Jan 27, 2017 12:04 PM
Feb 2014
Ckan said:
Hi guys, I'm Ckan! I watch anime and I looove it!! Do you like anime too? Anime is so great! I have many favourite anime, too many to list, but let me tell you about my watching habits!

When I watch anime I sometimes think to myself, "Why am I doing this? What is the point? Is this really anime? Where is the meaning? Is this shit? Am I dead? What is life? How old is the Sun? Our fleeting life is impermanence and imperfection; why live?"

These questions come to mind as my mind interacts with the stimulation before me; a mix and match of sights and sound! When words are said, I must listen. When words appear, I must read. I feel the music all around me as the sounds of Japanese people talking wrap around my heart and squeeze emotion into my veins. My lungs breath in gasps of explosive movement as my eyes pop in vigorous exercise.

Anime. It is a mystery. Anime before me, anime within me. Anime without me. Anime is so many things; it is so few things. There is no African anime, for example. Or is there? I do not know. Exposition rests in my shadow as I ponder what to watch. Is it time for anime? This is always a heavy decision involving the measurement and weighing of time and pleasurable gain against the possible losses of life and choice.

But there is no choice. Anime, on! The screen fades from black. The pixels change. Anime watching, a forgone and mysterious art: there is so much to be said about it; it moves me to tears.

BUT THEN HATE APPEARS
Anger. Disdain. Frustration. Disgust. Contempt. Scorn so real that it stills the tongue and fills the eyes.
How could Senpai pick bakachan over moekun? What was actually the point of the excursion to belltower hamlet? They didn't even ring a bell for heaven's sake! Why did I watch this? Argh, so bad. So stupid. So dumdumb. What a waste of time! What a waste of time. What a waste of time. What a waste of time.

What, waste of time? What waste of time? It wasn't so bad. Or was it?
;_;

*wipes away tears* It's going to be alright....
Jan 27, 2017 12:16 PM
Sep 2016
Watching anime and enjoying it mostly comes from how immersed I can get into a show. Suspension of disbelief is the key there.
If it's just hard to get into and has no solid or comprehensible structure that I can immerse myself in, then I give it a low score.

In short it's just based off of whether or not the story makes sense to me.
Jan 29, 2017 7:29 AM

Jul 2015
Sttrria said:
_Ionic said:

Yea, that's how I usually rate anime. 10 is perfect, which I rarely ever give (maybe 1 or 2 of my absolute favorites). 9 is awesome, 8 is great, 7 is good, and 6 is meh for me. I end up enjoying most of what I watch, which I usually give 7-9, and 6 is for those meh anime, which I rarely come across.

Anything below, idk. I've yet to watch an anime that is so faulty to the point where I'd have to give it below 6. Every anime has been put in effort, an emmense amount of work went into the series for our enjoyment. I fail to see why anyone would give an anime a completely bashful rating and call it trash :U

And again, that's what I'm here for. I want to hear others opinions on what they think makes an anime trash

of course there are always exceptions and I agree with you "meh" anime are hard to come across. In fact I think they are special because its hard find meh anime anywhere nowadays considering people do put effort into making these and how difficult it is to spot the flaws about it when you can't find none. In my book a 9 rated anime is just the same as a 10, however the only difference with a 10 I had a personal connection too it or felt very strongly about it emotionally which is hardly ever why I give out a 10.

However of all the anime I've watched, Durarara is by far the lowest rated anime I've seen. Plot holes, Cliched characters, no character development, tons of fans service and overarching story arcs that have no reason nor sense to be combined. I'm surprised I finished it, I just wanted to see how far I could take the torture. But believe me, it lives up to its rating. Idk why its rated above an 8 it makes me wonder do ppl actually sit down and ask themselves do they understand what is happening or do they just accept nonsense from the plot. The world may never know.
Jan 29, 2017 7:45 AM

Jul 2015
Personally, I've never watched any of those you mentioned, so I can't really give you my opinion on them, but the lowest rating I've ever given to an anime is 4 and it as Itazura na Kiss, don't get me wrong it's not like I just give out 4's and such at the bat of an eye, but that was the one anime I actually didn't feel any sort of romace feelings from the MC Male character to the MC Female character, maybe it was the way the anime was adapted, I've been told the manga is way better... Given all of that I do give quite a lot of 10's I'm very easily impressed, and I'm very easily taken in by the stories themselves, and I'm like you, whenever a someone has a really harsh review on some of my favourite animes I ust don't getit why they have to be so mean about it and ask myself "Do they really have to be so logical about it? It's a story, not real life, you know?" :)

More topics from this board

» What are your thoughts on harem anime? ( 1 2 )

BuddhaIsBetter - Apr 19

73 by Abomination_suah »»
4 minutes ago

» which antagonist is your fave and which one you cannot JUST TAKE SERIOUSLY ?

ame - 7 hours ago

15 by juanlqr »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » How do you watch anime?

RobertBobert - Yesterday

27 by juanlqr »»
11 minutes ago

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - 6 hours ago

14 by iiKonata »»
13 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

91 by LeonhartAugust »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.