Forum Settings
Forums
Jan 24, 2017 4:17 PM

Does this bug anyone else? In the top 50 anime, there are only 33 "unique" anime. I know some seasons of shows are noticeably better than others, but just looking at the top anime, Gintama has SIX of the top 13 anime...there has to be a way to improve this. Maybe average the scores for all the seasons and put the highest one in the top anime? Not sure if that's even possible, I just don't think there should be multiple entries for the same show on the top anime list.

Jan 24, 2017 4:49 PM
elk sensei

Meh_93 said:
Does this bug anyone else? In the top 50 anime, there are only 33 "unique" anime. I know some seasons of shows are noticeably better than others, but just looking at the top anime, Gintama has SIX of the top 13 anime...there has to be a way to improve this. Maybe average the scores for all the seasons and put the highest one in the top anime? Not sure if that's even possible, I just don't think there should be multiple entries for the same show on the top anime list.

You're not the only one - yes, this is definitely an issue IMO. Even Xinil, in an interview he had years ago, had difficulty answering the question and ultimately avoided it.

Of course, I highly doubt you're the first to mention this in the suggestion forum

Jan 24, 2017 6:27 PM
It's a problem, but simply ignoring sequels won't work. "Clannad: After Story" and "Aria the Origination" are great examples. They are both sequels that are acclaimed and generally agreed to be better than the previous seasons.

Jan 24, 2017 7:08 PM

Ragnarok10 said:
It's a problem, but simply ignoring sequels won't work. "Clannad: After Story" and "Aria the Origination" are great examples. They are both sequels that are acclaimed and generally agreed to be better than the previous seasons.

I don't think we should ignore sequels entirely, but I think those two are more the exception than the rule. Maybe average all the seasons then put the highest rated season in the top?

Just looking at the top 50, I wouldn't say season 1 or 2 of Code Geass is significantly better than the other. That could be 1 entry. I haven't actually seen Gintama, but they're all rated similarity and they're direct sequels to each other. Same could be said for Mushishi, Hajime no Ippo, the Natsume seasons, etc.

Jan 24, 2017 7:18 PM
elk sensei

Ragnarok10 said:

That's a point, especially when they each have their own, almost unique storyline. However, items like Gintama that have 5 in the top 10, or other sequels that are really just a pure continuation of their predecessor - something really needs to be done about that.

Jan 24, 2017 8:42 PM

No thanks, just stop being salty that sequels "take over" your imaginary precious top 10. There should never be merged entries either since each season can be different with staff etc too.

These threads have been done a million times by now these years. The best and only option would just be put in a new tab with all the anime that got no sequels if you want it sorted like that but that's kinda what the OVA tab is mostly anyways.

Jan 24, 2017 9:16 PM

Tenth said:
No thanks, just stop being salty that sequels "take over" your imaginary precious top 10. There should never be merged entries either since each season can be different with staff etc too.

These threads have been done a million times by now these years. The best and only option would just be put in a new tab with all the anime that got no sequels if you want it sorted like that but that's kinda what the OVA tab is mostly anyways.

That's probably the best solution. A "sequel" tab.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Jan 24, 2017 10:11 PM

You should really search for topics before making a new topic. This is like the 20th+ topic on this.

Also, as I've been told before, it's a complicated situation (Coding perspective) to merge franchises and stuff in general. Not everything is straight forward.

Merging a Fate/Stay franchise is way different than merging a Gintama franchise. And the coding team has bigger issues than rankings to worry about.

Jan 24, 2017 10:20 PM

Mhhh... So you want all series to be merged, and the ratings... Wow... That seems like a good way to deal with it...

So you'll do it OP?

Mhhh... I dunno... Seems like a good idea if you ask me, merging it, and like DC movie and just update EPs like that... I dunno....

Interesting...

Jan 25, 2017 3:06 AM

Find it funny that Gintama has like 10 in the top 50 list. But then again it is a good show.

Jan 25, 2017 3:16 AM

Why would you even care about a completely aarbitrary and subjective top list that has no credibility?
School Days could be up there for all I care, that evaluates the viewers more than anything and not the show itself.

Jan 25, 2017 6:15 AM
Yeah, I've never really understood why some series are split among MAL's database. Different seasons of the same show are... still the same show. Obviously there are some exceptions where this would make sense, like Steins;Gate and the upcoming Steins;Gate 0, but stuff like Gintama or Code Geass?
It's not a super big deal but it's kind of confusing why it's like that.
Always take into consideration that I suck at getting my point across correctly within the first few edits... please.

Jan 25, 2017 6:35 AM

Tyrel said:
You should really search for topics before making a new topic. This is like the 20th+ topic on this.

Also, as I've been told before, it's a complicated situation (Coding perspective) to merge franchises and stuff in general. Not everything is straight forward.

Merging a Fate/Stay franchise is way different than merging a Gintama franchise. And the coding team has bigger issues than rankings to worry about.

I kinda get your point, and I know some stuff is just gonna be trouble (GitS with its three different stand-alone adaptations?). But I really don't see what could be more important to MAL than fixing its list and rating features. It is the whole point of the site.

Jan 25, 2017 1:43 PM

I agree BUT if and ONLY IF the highest rated entry of the franchise stays in its place.

Jan 25, 2017 2:00 PM

Clebardman said:
Tyrel said:

I kinda get your point, and I know some stuff is just gonna be trouble (GitS with its three different stand-alone adaptations?). But I really don't see what could be more important to MAL than fixing its list and rating features. It is the whole point of the site.
Can't answer that as I don't know. But before MAL was acquired by DeNa, there was TONS of problems that Crave never bothered to fix. So there's a big backlog of coding fixing and other stuff.

Jan 25, 2017 6:27 PM

Will top franchise work? It doesnt need to modify current top anime list, just add another top list with some codes to calculate the scores.

Basically combine all anime score that have connection to each other, then divided by the amount of said entry (malgraph have franchise list)

I know it might not be fair for certain franchise because original adaptation might have lower score (FSN for example) than the remake.

It might not be fair, but at least now we will able to find any new interesting anime that have huge amount of content in it.

*Example I can give is from here : https://steamdb.info/sales/ . For rating of game bundles, it calculated all scores and divided by the amount of games in it)
Watching style atm:

1. Mindless Gaming + Anime streaming with dual monitor
2. Focused + Anime binged watching with speed up
3. Couch / Bed Anime watching with large TV
4. Relaxing in virtual cinema with VR.

Jan 25, 2017 10:28 PM

elkensteyin said:
Meh_93 said:

You're not the only one - yes, this is definitely an issue IMO. Even Xinil, in an interview he had years ago, had difficulty answering the question and ultimately avoided it.

Of course, I highly doubt you're the first to mention this in the suggestion forum
We have this thread here about once a week. It's a big problem and it isn't being solved. If a dam kept leaking people would complain about it until it got fixed.

Jan 26, 2017 12:42 AM

Yeah lots of suggestions related to this. There was this other suggestion that suggested to allow scoring for a franchise/sub-franchise as well.

I'd suggest to make own pages for such franchise/sub-franchise. And while you are at it for studios as well. (This way studios could be added to the profile as favorites - like requested by some people.)

Then for the top list and for user's anime lists allow to toggle between showing "parent" and "child" entries.

I suggest only grouping anime that are very similar/direct prequels/sequels.

Best example are the ones with the same characters that could be seen as 1 whole series (with just different seasons where there was a break between airing them and new plot arcs but otherwise similar feeling). Like all those split-cour that were intended as 1 series (even if the 2nd part officially gets a S2 in the name) but just got aired split and therefore get 2 database entries on MAL.

Example: Gundam Tekketsu no Orphans + Gundam Tekketsu no Orphans S2: Rename the 1st one to S1 (maybe in brackets or smaller font if it is not part of the official title). Use Gundam Tekketsu no Orphans as parent entry and add some relations like "parts" and at each season "part of" and the prequel/sequel to the next season of course should stay as relation as well.

A button that toggles between parent/child entries could then hide the ones with "part of" or "parts" relations. Problem is that the site showing the list needs to load these data/info (they probably would need to implement that first) ... and if people don't add both to their list (enforce it somehow or automate it). (If they did only add parent/child entries the other one wouldn't displayed if you set it to only show the other one.)

Other problem: If you wanted to make pages for the overall franchise like Gundam as a whole. Would be nice to have these listed and a top page where you could discuss about the franchise as whole (instead of going to normal Anime Discussion forum or some specific Gundam series). For these should be a different relation. (This shouldn't affect lists/top lists but should still exist - would be nice for discussion and the relations to look something up instead of having to rely on the search only or use the relations on all the different Gundam. Would be more clean/orderly.) With a different relation type (just a different name - similar to parts/part of) it wouldn't affect list filtering. People are more likely to score differently and only want the individual entries in their lists. (More difference in quality between different series in a franchise than between just a S1 and S2.)

Jan 30, 2017 7:05 PM

Ya I don't find it fare that a show and it's sequels occupy 5 of the top 10 spots

Jan 31, 2017 8:13 PM

Sequels have inflated scores too because people only watch them if they were fans of the original