Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Granblue Fantasy
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Apr 1, 2017 8:34 AM

Apr 2014
did new episode improve or change anything>?
Apr 1, 2017 9:48 AM

Sep 2011
moodie said:
Doubt it. The video is the same size as the one released months ago.
Apr 1, 2017 10:50 AM

Jun 2013
Is this that thing I keep seeing naughty art and doujins of?
Apr 1, 2017 12:20 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
That was fairly nice. Generic but i'm a sucker for a Final Fantasy type atmosphere with this world. I like the characters.

Those last three or four minutes were pretty badly written though, really predictable and there was not much impact.

Everything before that was intriguing.
Apr 1, 2017 1:55 PM

May 2010
zomib said:
the episode released today is the same one that came out on january?

seems like it..its just availible in way better quality now.
Apr 1, 2017 7:07 PM

Sep 2011
I actually kind of enjoyed this first episode, felt like a really psone rpg with its start, generic no doubt but this is the kind of generic i find welcoming. I also really dig the art style with how the line work seems very reminiscent of pre digital grit which i think more and more anime are finally learning how to show with digital coloring.

I dont know i was expecting something kind of ln schlocky like but the first episode seemed pretty respectful to the fantasy genre. Whether this is only 1 cour or the rumored 4 cour hopefully it keeps my interest

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Apr 2, 2017 2:03 AM

Jul 2013
Is the game not available in English? it's cliche but it does have old school RPG feel.
Apr 2, 2017 2:58 AM

May 2008
MoeGod said:
Is the game not available in English? it's cliche but it does have old school RPG feel.

The game is in english.
http://game.granbluefantasy.jp

but you need to make an account in Japanese to play it.
Apr 2, 2017 3:58 AM

Aug 2016
Well, it had a nice start I guess, but from the moment Lyria transfered her powers to Gran or whatever, the rest of the episode was a bit lacking.

The following scene was just awkward, when they could put a little more "excitement" into it. They just look at each others and say each others names. Just... awkward.

And then he "feels different" and suddenly knows automatically how to do stuff? Meh.
Apr 2, 2017 7:45 AM

Nov 2010
So far i'm watching for the art style and the voice acting isn't bad either.

Not a bad start overall.
Apr 2, 2017 3:49 PM

Jun 2013
it wasn't really that great
Apr 2, 2017 4:16 PM

Feb 2016
Well, don't have high expectations from the beginning, but I'm a sucker for floating islands trope and dragons, so why the hell not.

The first two episodes were actually better than expected. Art style was downright ugly in the trailers, but here it looks decent. Still not sure if I like it, but it's got something distinct to it. And that moment when they flew into the sky was beautiful.

As far as story goes, all cliches for now, and characters are nothing new either. Lots of exposition, and setting up the world for now, so I hope things get better in that department.
Apr 2, 2017 4:31 PM
Nov 2016
Pacing so horrible there's no reason to care about anything that's happening and dull, weightless, fight scenes ruin this 1st ep. I doubt ep 2 will be any better.
Apr 2, 2017 4:32 PM
Nov 2016
Pixeltaku said:
It's pretty dull, but that's fine since it's establishing the world, its characters, and feeling. The animation seems a bit "choppy", especially during fight scenes, but I can handle that. The art style is great. It stays true to the game.

I'll invest and see where it goes. I do play the mobile game, so it does bring a lot of nostalgia with the music and story.

Waiting on some Erune girls to show up!!

I don't understand how you can see that as fine when countless other 1st eps in anime are introductions but are much better made, thus don't result in being "dull" for many viewers.
Apr 2, 2017 4:32 PM
Nov 2016
bittersweetlove said:
I love Katalina already...she will be the reason why I will watch this.

Tall, strong, long haired women are the hottest. Probably will also be the only reason I watch this.
Apr 3, 2017 10:50 AM

Dec 2013
Tyrel said:
moodie said:
Doubt it. The video is the same size as the one released months ago.

Nope, it's slightly altered.
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/205468
Apr 3, 2017 4:34 PM

Oct 2015
The characters were fairly boring and this was a pretty uninteresting introduction. Won't be continuing
Apr 3, 2017 6:20 PM

Oct 2008
The character art design is atrocious and I didn't really liked it.
Ep1 is is generically okay.
let's how it goes.
3/5.

-Trippwire- said:
Is this that thing I keep seeing naughty art and doujins of?

you are definitely correct...so many H-doujins!

Apr 3, 2017 8:22 PM

Apr 2011
Did the visuals seems a little grainy to any of you?

Also, seriously? The King of Dragons from the very get-go? Shame this is a mobile-only game. Seems like the kind of game I'd love, but all I've got is a shitty Windows.
Apr 3, 2017 8:32 PM

Jan 2008
Honestly, only watching this for better understanding of the doujinshis. They've become quite popular.

yhunata said:
Shame this is a mobile-only game. Seems like the kind of game I'd love, but all I've got is a shitty Windows.

You can play GF on the PC using chrome but it still uses the mobile resolution or so I've heard. I'm not playing it so I don't know the details but I am playing a clone of the game and I've seen it mentioned a few times in discussions.
Apr 3, 2017 8:34 PM

Apr 2011
Paul said:
Honestly, only watching this for better understanding of the doujinshis. They've become quite popular.

yhunata said:
Shame this is a mobile-only game. Seems like the kind of game I'd love, but all I've got is a shitty Windows.

You can play GF on the PC using chrome but it still uses the mobile resolution or so I've heard. I'm not playing it so I don't know the details but I am playing a clone of the game and I've seen it mentioned a few times in discussions.

I don't use chrome. My laptop's too shitty. Still, won't hurt to give it a try, I guess.

P.S. I totally thought this was a fighting game until I looked it up after watching this episode.
Apr 3, 2017 9:19 PM

Dec 2007
What a pretty looking anime.
Story generic as fuck... let's see where they'll go with this.
Apr 4, 2017 4:43 AM

Aug 2013
Generic and Cliche is the only thing I could come up with watching this.
It's probably better watching this at x3 speed. The art and animation is bad for me, didn't like it one bit.
What else is there to say.
Apr 4, 2017 8:29 AM

Jun 2013
Not sure if I was the only one, but the little dragon bobbing up and down when its wings weren't flapping was so weird. As soon as I noticed I couldn't focus on anything else in any of the scenes xD
Apr 4, 2017 10:25 AM

Apr 2016
i'm surprised at how much i love the 'unique' art style of this anime
easily my top 3 of spring with bnha s2 and akashic records
Apr 4, 2017 9:03 PM

Jan 2014
SAWASHIRO MIYUKI IS MY FAVORITE VOICE ACTRESS. I'M ALREADY IN LOVE WITH KATALINA.
Apr 5, 2017 3:16 AM
Jul 2018
I really liked it and I'm very fond of the art style. The pastel-like colors are very appealing to me, the character designs are cute, the backgrounds are beautiful and the opening is pretty good.
Although the story is very cliche and so, the first half reminds me a bit of Eragon, srsly. Hello, childhood memories. XD
Nevertheless the characters are quite likeable, the "lizard" is really cute and the dragons look good.
The second half of the first episode was a little bit rushed tho.
removed-userApr 5, 2017 3:22 AM
Apr 6, 2017 4:22 PM
Feb 2016
Depending on whether you're a fan of these settings or not this first episode was classic or cliche. Nice character design and backgrounds though.
Apr 9, 2017 9:49 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Kights, Warriors, drangons,pretty and sweety protagonist and a bad enemy all arround of a great mistery, perfect for a adventure!!!!
Like this start, like this series, the character are comun, but to me, effectives!!! The plot only starter, but this first episode was interesting, with a Young Knight names Gran and his red lizard help a girl sweety that has a great power, the power to invokes a big Dragon, Bahamut!!!

7/10!!!!
Apr 10, 2017 4:54 AM

Jul 2008
Katalina is love.

Reminds me of old school Final Fantasy meets Lunar Eternal Blue.
Apr 10, 2017 8:37 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Hmm a fantasy story eh
complete with knights and dragons
So it looks like Katalina is trying to get the test subject out of the bad guys hands
Despite being cut off its nice that the girl was able to create an opportunity to escape in style by blowing a hole in the ship that she was on.

The village that the mc lives in sure is peaceful
Gran seems to have a kind personality despite his station as a guard he's helping others with their tasks as well. The little dragon is cute though. Lol rules mean nothing to gran lol. Its nice to see Lyria survived that fall though. Despite being a stranger its nice that Gran is still nice to her. Lol the flying lizard that doesn't like being called that. Despite being confronted by armed soldiers its nice seeing Gran willing to stand up to them. Hmm Katalina sure is powerful in combat. Hmm so her sword has the power of ice as well eh. Seems that Lyria and Katalina have a close relationship. So Lyria was being used by the empire as a test subject eh. Gran just can't leave people that need help alone eh. Man these empire storm troopers sure are jerks.

Hmm summoning monsters when his men had failed eh
the logical choice for villains
So after Lyria gave her power to Gran he managed to recover from his injuries and become even more powerful than before eh. The summoned dragon looks better than the hydra lol.

Interesting setting and characters so far
Voice acting is superb so far
Story looks interesting
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 12, 2017 9:14 PM

Apr 2009
After going through several shows from this season, some I didn't outright love, this is the first I actually dislike. It was exceedingly dull and generic, yet even managed to be boring with hydras and the summoning of Bahamut created no tension or excitement.

Also the lines of the characters all seem very rough and ugly, it makes them painfully stand out from the backgrounds and seems awkward to watch.

Going to give it a couple more episodes before I drop it. I guess if nothing else I can get my Happy fix until the return of Fairy Tail.
Apr 13, 2017 2:13 PM

Sep 2013
The quality is on point, the pencil outline is a strange choice but it works.
Nice start.
Apr 13, 2017 11:27 PM

Feb 2013
So I'm watching this....and I'm thinking....this is straight up a story that would be in SO MANY rpg games....didn't realize it was based off of a game lol!!!!

But this looks pretty good, and if I got the feel that it was from a game, probably a good adaptation as far as I'm concerned.
Apr 15, 2017 12:37 PM

Jun 2014
The art style looks good. But the animation quality is somewhere between under-impressive and bad.

Vyrn is the type of gabage why I hate certain fantasy series; Gran and Katalina seem like good characters; So far the story is not compelling nor has a clear direction yet; so idk if I should continue...
Apr 15, 2017 3:59 PM

Jan 2011
I saw advertisement all over the place last year in Nihon so ii thought I will give it a try, also because of the truely fantastic 2D character design for the game. Check those out, they are really something! Of course it would be to hard for every animation studio to copy that artstyle into an animation show. When I saw the first pictures of the show I was kinda dissapointed and thought „Okay, normal looking fantasy show …“ But now after watching the first episode I am surprised. Really good animation, very lifely or pretty flawless. For example: While Katalina is talking even her hair has kind of natural movement, the coat as well. Things like that. So good animation quality. But yeah, big budget game company and A-1 is a top studio. I also like the opening alot, song and style. Fantastic work! Ending song is also good except the English parts … Nihon language sounds nicer in my ears whe somebody sings. And I really dont like that Fairy Tail Happy dragon, he is annoying. An animal like that fits in the crazy Fairy Tail world, but imho not in a fantasy story told that way Granblue fantasy is kinda going to be told. Also the dragons … somehow meh … Would have been nice if that animation style and fantasy setting would work without summoning bigass 3D monsters. I thought it would be more some kind of political andventure story because of that many good looking characters the game has to offer. Anyway, I will continue because I dont know the story and I want to enjoy the fantastic animation style (and fighting Katalina). =)
Apr 22, 2017 9:26 PM

Jun 2013
Aww cmon, whats with the shit score! This seems like a lot of fun!
Apr 23, 2017 4:19 PM

Feb 2013
Better than expected. It maintained decent action throughout the episode.
Jun 4, 2017 8:37 AM

Aug 2013
Good start. Better than expected. I'm loving Katalina already.

Jul 2, 2017 10:42 AM

Jan 2014
I never play the game or known any Granblue thing, but when I see Gran revival, that's so cliche, i could predict it when he's bleeding.

hope it doesn't dissapoint me for the next episodes
Jul 14, 2017 5:45 AM
Mar 2012
m-i-c-h-a-e-l said:
The art style looks good. But the animation quality is somewhere between under-impressive and bad.

Vyrn is the type of gabage why I hate certain fantasy series; Gran and Katalina seem like good characters; So far the story is not compelling nor has a clear direction yet; so idk if I should continue...

Exactly. The dragonling/drake "I'm not a lizard REEEE" thing is cringe/painfully annoying. Knowing that constant screeching is going to be interjecting and making comments on everything the entire time kills any interest. Dropped.
Jul 21, 2017 3:12 PM

Dec 2016
As one who loves fantasy and animation, I can tell I'm going to like this show, and hopefully I will like it all the way through!
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Mar 30, 2019 8:38 PM

Aug 2007
If you play this game PLEASE MESSAGE ME.
I'm super duper obsessed with it currently.
I think this episode was generic. The game's beginning is to -- but the game is incredibly addictive and the story becomes more fleshed out as time goes on. You also have a lot of side quests, events and side stories to develop the hundreds of characters in the game. Honestly, I find a lot of the side characters much better than the main characters.

Jul 11, 2019 7:09 AM
May 2017
So question, anyone out there while watching ep 1 and 2 just instantly think of Xenoblade Chronicles 2? Slightly different but still sorta the same? Young male saves a girl, dies in the process, life split between them, little dragon buddy following you around. The islands surrounded by clouds, est. Like changed the names of people and places and boom, new but same. Still really good anime (and game) but I can't help but see Gran, Vyrn, and Lyria as Rex, gramps, and Pyra. Both Gran and rex have brown hair even and similar skin tone, and Lyria and Pyra both have ancient crystals on their chests to use their powers. Just one is summoning dragons and the other can destroy the world?? (aint finished the game yet so still learning her gifts) It's like Parallel universe stuff or AU. Or am I missing some link here?
Aug 1, 2019 3:23 PM

Feb 2014
Show is now on Netflix

Voiced by the same seiyuu as Happy, but unlike Happy this dragon thingy is irritating.
Aug 6, 2019 12:07 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Well, this was quite the first episode!

I think I personally enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. Bump of Chicken with the Op theme is fantastic, I didn’t think it’d be ‘Go’ though. I’ve that song for a while now but I’d no idea it’s from an anime even let alone this very show, felt really good to hear it nevertheless with the addition of the interesting visuals! ED theme is quite soothing to listen to with a really catchy first few seconds of melodious music as well plus the few soundtracks used were pretty good, Sound Department so far gets a tick from me.

Animation style is a bit different but I’m liking it so far, the action details in particular seemed quite fluent and thus awesome to have! Also, the CGI Dragons weren’t an eyesore so all’s good so far.

And right off the bat, we get to the meaty part with Lyria and Katalina on the run. ‘Research’ so I’m assuming Lyria was a test subject of sorts and she’s finally decided to put that into use with Gran. Cool to see the fantasy elements (I’m always down for shows of this sort) of the show too, I’m definitely pleased with this first episode.
_MushiRock11_Aug 7, 2019 1:56 AM
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Aug 23, 2019 11:10 PM

Mar 2018
Ok starting to watch now for Fall season
Interesting Art Style, I low key like it.

Man I love it when you are watching an Anime with a game as source and you can see that it's from a game in the episodes themselves too
Pacing can be a bit weird but for now it didn't look bad
On top of that is Yuuki the VA for Gran ^^

“I don’t like expending more effort than I have to.” – Ayanokouji Kiyotaka
Sep 11, 2019 6:39 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Solid start for this anime, i like Lyria and Katalina.
Art is a bit weird but it's still good.
Oct 13, 2019 11:50 AM

Sep 2018
The episode, at the beginning, is too agitated in the narrative rhythm, and given that no explanation can be given to make it clear why, one remains a bit lost, but in general an idea the viewer if he does; even the death and subsequent rebirth of the protagonist, as an adjoining revelation of Lyria's powers, mean that there is a certain hastiness in this beginning of the season, as I think of it. The thing that strikes me positively is the designs and the color designs, beautiful also the backgrounds. The work of Studio A1 pictures is not bad. I love the opening sung by the BUMP OF CHICKEN.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Granblue Fantasy The Animation Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 29, 2017

54 by Fate_warrior95 »»
Apr 20, 12:10 AM

Poll: » Granblue Fantasy The Animation Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - May 13, 2017

42 by ArtemisMeiko »»
Jan 27, 1:25 AM

Poll: » Granblue Fantasy The Animation Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Pipe - Jun 24, 2017

195 by Nihilna »»
Dec 29, 2023 8:18 PM

Poll: » Granblue Fantasy The Animation Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 17, 2017

88 by Alvie48xi »»
Mar 4, 2023 5:40 AM

Poll: » Granblue Fantasy The Animation Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 10, 2017

35 by Alvie48xi »»
Mar 4, 2023 2:35 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.