Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Jan 19, 2017 8:29 AM

Apr 2014
Some people just want to look 'edgy' thats all.
Jan 19, 2017 8:32 AM

Nov 2014
EcchiLordMamster said:
BurningSpirit said:
You might want to look at my list before you say I take anime way too seriously...

Some people are way too harsh on anime that aren't meant to be taken seriously, that I agree. But by no means is it not justified for me to give the anime like Tokyo Ghoul, Akame ga Kill and SAO who take themselves seriously and failed.

i never said YOU took anime too seriously....

AKAME GA KILL?

SERIOUS?...

is that a joke lol? to me, Akame ga kill is like Rush Hour, Machete or Deadpool... howtf was that show trying to be serious? just because an anime has drama, death, gore, blood, violence.. etc, doesn't mean the anime is supposed to be serious

Oh come on, you're just making up arguments on hindsight AFTER watching the show. Tell me what part of Akame ga Kill you can tell BEFORE watching the show that it is not taking itself seriously. Just look at first paragraph of the synopsis... my god

"Night Raid is the covert assassination branch of the Revolutionary Army, an uprising assembled to overthrow Prime Minister Honest, whose avarice and greed for power has lead him to take advantage of the child emperor's inexperience. Without a strong and benevolent leader, the rest of the nation is left to drown in poverty, strife, and ruin. Though the Night Raid members are all experienced killers, they understand that taking lives is far from commendable and that they will likely face retribution as they mercilessly eliminate anyone who stands in the revolution's way."

It bloody screams trying too hard to be serious and it seriously failed at that. One episode they were legitimately making the characters mourn about character death, then next episode? Fun times bathing in the waterfall.
BurningSpiritJan 19, 2017 8:51 AM
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Jan 19, 2017 8:47 AM

Feb 2010
I gotta say Akame ga Kill was most definitely taking itself seriously. Just because a show is hilariously bad and it's hard to take seriously, doesn't mean it's intentional. That's just twisting facts in favor of the show. It's not bad because it's hilarious, it's hilarious because of how bad it is. The show wasn't comedy or parody or anything like Deadpool in any way, it was trying to portray a serious and edgy story about assassins with plot twists, emotional deaths, some fanservice tropes and whatnot and the result was pitiful.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 19, 2017 8:59 AM

Feb 2008
5 is not a bad score, OP. If you halve the scale we currently have, it's like a weaker 3 out of 5, which is about average.

Considering how an average anime season has about what, 40 TV shows (excluding shorts), it would be highly generous to have a mean score of 5 for the anime that aired in that period, considering how often the bad shows outweigh the good. You'd have to sit through 20 trainwrecks per season to get a handful of decent shows, and only a few that are really remarkable.

Jan 19, 2017 9:22 AM

Feb 2016
Pullman said:
I gotta say Akame ga Kill was most definitely taking itself seriously. Just because a show is hilariously bad and it's hard to take seriously, doesn't mean it's intentional. That's just twisting facts in favor of the show. It's not bad because it's hilarious, it's hilarious because of how bad it is. The show wasn't comedy or parody or anything like Deadpool in any way, it was trying to portray a serious and edgy story about assassins with plot twists, emotional deaths, some fanservice tropes and whatnot and the result was pitiful.

I think its pretty good. It was much more entertaining than SAO and I dont even remember any plot holes. A simple cliched story with cool characters, powers designs and fights.

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Jan 19, 2017 9:31 AM

Feb 2010
Dishonest said:
Pullman said:

I think its pretty good. It was much more entertaining than SAO and I dont even remember any plot holes. A simple cliched story with cool characters, powers designs and fights.

You're free to have this opinion, my point was just that it's not a parody but legitimately trying to sell you on what you see. Whether you like what you get or not is not for me to decide, although from a writing/quality perspective I don't see myself ever budging on the show just being very badly executed.

personally I found SAO much more fun to watch because it had a cooler setting, more variety, and just generally wasn't as tryhard edgy. SAO had even worse antagonists but only by a small margin. And the characters in AGK were just all so 'whatever', most of them died before I could even start to try and care about them, and the remaining two (the gay one and the green haired one)died basically 3 minutes after I started caring about them. So basically at no point the show had anything I cared about or found interesting in it. SAO at least had enjoyable parts, especially in season 2.
Jan 19, 2017 9:35 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
BurningSpirit said:

Oh come on, you're just making up arguments on hindsight AFTER watching the show. Tell me what part of Akame ga Kill you can tell BEFORE watching the show that it is not taking itself seriously. Just look at first paragraph of the synopsis... my god

"Night Raid is the covert assassination branch of the Revolutionary Army, an uprising assembled to overthrow Prime Minister Honest, whose avarice and greed for power has lead him to take advantage of the child emperor's inexperience. Without a strong and benevolent leader, the rest of the nation is left to drown in poverty, strife, and ruin. Though the Night Raid members are all experienced killers, they understand that taking lives is far from commendable and that they will likely face retribution as they mercilessly eliminate anyone who stands in the revolution's way."

It bloody screams trying too hard to be serious and it seriously failed at that. One episode they were legitimately making the characters mourn about character death, then next episode? Fun times bathing in the waterfall.

im not talking about before watching the show.. im talking about while watching it

why does the synopsis matter? all the synopsis tells you is the basic premise of the show, not the tone of the show

think about it, if you read the synopsis for movies like Rush Hour or Deadpool, you wouldn't think they were humorous movies, would you?

what im basically saying is, why are you going into any anime thinking its going to be serious, when most generally are not, or at least not very? is anime not known for making light heart of serious situations?
Jan 19, 2017 9:36 AM

Jan 2016
I'm also relatively easy to please but I still at least hold a standard for what I find to be good. Being critical starts from there.... Hell, not being critical means having no standards and I fail to believe that there's a person out there that has no standards at all.
Jan 19, 2017 9:48 AM

Feb 2016
Pullman said:
Dishonest said:

You're free to have this opinion, my point was just that it's not a parody but legitimately trying to sell you on what you see. Whether you like what you get or not is not for me to decide, although from a writing/quality perspective I don't see myself ever budging on the show just being very badly executed.

personally I found SAO much more fun to watch because it had a cooler setting, more variety, and just generally wasn't as tryhard edgy. SAO had even worse antagonists but only by a small margin. And the characters in AGK were just all so 'whatever', most of them died before I could even start to try and care about them, and the remaining two (the gay one and the green haired one)died basically 3 minutes after I started caring about them. So basically at no point the show had anything I cared about or found interesting in it. SAO at least had enjoyable parts, especially in season 2.

I think its more of a TTGL/KLK over the top type of story with a lot of cliches. Like some american action movies. I think SAO with the rapey villain and the other rich rapey guy who wanted to marry Asuna from real life and the real life killings from s2 was more edgy than AGK.
I agree about the season 2 being better than the 1st, at least in the game with guns(GGO iirc) cause the fights looked dope. The first seasons first half was also okay, but all the rest was utter shit. The variety of SAO extends to different colors and sizes of waifus with some dragons we see for about 10s and AGK had many powers, weapons, (even more)colors and sizes.
SpaghettiSpikeJan 19, 2017 9:54 AM

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

Jan 19, 2017 9:50 AM

Aug 2015
Just watch shitty anime and you'll see why people give low scores
SomeEdgeLord said:

I WILL report you from this forum if this continues.
In real life, I am one of the coldest, unsympathetic, people you'll ever know, who's grown up in an even colder household, you really don't want me to break my persona, I know how to make people feel bad.

YearnsforAttention said:
hm who has 1656 friends on MAL
that's right me
bye bye

YearnsforAttention said:
I don't want your approval
how many damn times do I need to say it
I enjoy irritating you
I am gonna do things MY way
Jan 19, 2017 9:55 AM

Feb 2010
Dishonest said:
Pullman said:

I think its more of a TTGL/KLK over the top type of story with a lot of cliches. Like some american action movies. I think SAO with the rapey villain and the other rich rapey guy who wanted to marry Asuna from real life and the real life killings from s2 was more edgy than AGK.
I agree about the season 2 being better than the 1st, at least in the game with guns(GGO iirc) cause the fights looked dope. The first seasons first half was also okay, but all the rest was utter shit.

Yeah the villains were terrible in SAO, worst I've ever seen even, though AGK isn't far behind with their picture book evil people in every corner of the show. BUT SAO didn't try as hard when it comes to forcing plot twists and 'unexpected' deaths and trying to be this edgy show with 'grey morality' where 'noone is safe'. But the morality in the show was about as black and white as it gets which didn't stop the show from presenting itself like a grey morality show. It's less about the content or individual characters like the rapey SAO villains and more about how the show was written to be edgy at every opportunity.
That being said Esdeath alone has enough edge for me to cut myself for generations :>.

I'm not gonna start an argument about the TTGL/KLK comparison. I'll just say that both of these shows are actually good in my eyes, and their intentions were very different from something like AGK. Just in terms of atmosphere AGK was a lot less fun and playful. And the parody elements that weren't in AGK are most certainly in the two Imaishi shows so that alone makes a comparison questionable to me.
Jan 19, 2017 9:59 AM

May 2010
The ratings on this website seem the opposite of critical to me, most people will give at least a 6 even if they didn't enjoy it
Jan 19, 2017 10:10 AM

Apr 2015
I'm generally a harsh rater simply because that's my nature. I judge everything really harshly.

Then again, I'm pretty lenient compared to hardcore masochists with average ratings of 4.75 or less. I doubt I'll ever dip below 5 flat as an average rating, because if I'm watching that much anime which I really find that unmemorable and unenjoyable, then I have no buisness to be spending my free time with anime.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Jan 19, 2017 10:18 AM

Feb 2016
Pullman said:
Dishonest said:

I agree about the season 2 being better than the 1st, at least in the game with guns(GGO iirc) cause the fights looked dope. The first seasons first half was also okay, but all the rest was utter shit.

Yeah the villains were terrible in SAO, worst I've ever seen even, though AGK isn't far behind with their picture book evil people in every corner of the show. BUT SAO didn't try as hard when it comes to forcing plot twists and 'unexpected' deaths and trying to be this edgy show with 'grey morality' where 'noone is safe'. But the morality in the show was about as black and white as it gets which didn't stop the show from presenting itself like a grey morality show. It's less about the content or individual characters like the rapey SAO villains and more about how the show was written to be edgy at every opportunity.
That being said Esdeath alone has enough edge for me to cut myself for generations :>.

I'm not gonna start an argument about the TTGL/KLK comparison. I'll just say that both of these shows are actually good in my eyes, and their intentions were very different from something like AGK. Just in terms of atmosphere AGK was a lot less fun and playful. And the parody elements that weren't in AGK are most certainly in the two Imaishi shows so that alone makes a comparison questionable to me.

I was comparing the cry hard-laugh hard aspect of Imaishis shows to AGK, not parody or anything. The atmosphere was darker but in a fun way(like a giant mascot biting off the hand of a girl to replace it with a weird looking weapon).
All of Night Raid definitely had grey morality, not that it was explored in some meanigful way but its still a nice change to have characters doing the necessary thing when facing villains. Esdeath fell in love with Tatsumi and was very strong, I dont remember anything edgy about her. The two sisters were edgy af tho

Jan 19, 2017 10:19 AM
Aug 2014
Everything can't be great. Most TV shows, manga, movies, anime and games are average to below average. That's why it's called "average".
Jan 19, 2017 10:23 AM
Nov 2016
It's really just their choice. Personally, I think its rather sad. Why watch anime if you dont enjoy it? The more anime you like, the more you enjoy yourself. Even SAO for example , I also think it was disappointing considering how much better it could've been, but I enjoyed it so it was worth my time. Having 'superior taste' just seems a bit sad and pointless.
Jan 19, 2017 10:33 AM

Sep 2011
If it's 600 animes they've watched then it's understandable. If they were rating their entire list with just 7's like most other people do, then there won't ever be anime on their list that stand out.
Jan 19, 2017 12:23 PM

Mar 2015
Because I am the smartest man on the internet ;)
This salad is salty favored
Jan 19, 2017 12:35 PM

Mar 2013
Because they are some masochists who watch things they don't like.

"I'm a NO DROP user".
Jan 19, 2017 1:59 PM

Aug 2012
Psychedelicate said:
I'm really just curious.

Lately I've come across a few users - mostly those who've completed 600 anime or more - who seem to rate the majority of the anime they watch a 5 or less. But... why? Does age and the amount of anime you watch make you more critical/nitpicky? I haven't watched that much anime at all, so I'm generally easy to please, but that doesn't mean I haven't dropped any anime or don't have any anime I don't like.
Don't worry about it.

Logically, there will always be an average and above average for everyone.
Those who have seen a lot of shows probably stumbled upon some extremely great shows that they think is a lot better than others. So other good shows becomes average.
I've seen a lot of people rate 5 to 6 too. And not all of them think 5 or 6 is a bad rating.
MAL said it too: 5 is average, and 6 is fine. So for them to rate around that is pretty normal. (There are also haters, just talk to them and you'll know the difference, I guess :/ )

Jan 19, 2017 2:28 PM
Aug 2014
Lestat- said:
Konakana said:
I've reached a better understanding of what I do and do not like I guess.

If you do, why torture yourself with anime you dislike? Your mean score appears to be a 2,92 — how on earth are you still watching anime if it is such an eyesore to you?

I'm confident that great shows still exist somewhere.
Jan 19, 2017 3:38 PM

Jun 2015
Giving a lot of things a 5 isn't being overly critical. Just means you consider 5 to be your average.

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with picking a show apart. It's actually rather enjoyable, and it's a way to make a bad show more fun in my opinion. Otherwise, I'd have dropped a lot more.

Even figuring out what you don't like in a show you really enjoy isn't bad at all. You don't know what exactly you like until you pinpoint what you dislike. It makes it more rewarding to find the shows that mean something to you.

Jan 19, 2017 4:17 PM

Aug 2010
I love anime so that's why my score is high.
Jan 19, 2017 4:36 PM
Aug 2015
I enjoyed Mirai Nikki very much, but it's not really a secret that it's very badly written.
Jan 19, 2017 4:38 PM

Jul 2014
I've said it before and I'll say it again; many derive their enjoyment of anime from critical analysis.
Take care of yourself

Jan 19, 2017 4:42 PM

Jan 2015
Konakana said:

you rating doesn't make any sense. How could the shows you rated follow a distribution like that?
A curve including all entries should be of a gaussian form. One including limited entries by picking animes you liked and not rating animes you dropped should look like mine.
Amount of total animes each rating should have (percentages): 6-25,7-15,8-6,9-3,10-1
Jan 19, 2017 4:44 PM
Aug 2014
Angelquasilike said:
Konakana said:

you rating doesn't make any sense. How could the shows you rated follow a distribution like that?

How do my ratings not make any sense?
Jan 19, 2017 4:49 PM

Jan 2015
Konakana said:
Angelquasilike said:

If you watched every anime your distribution should follow a gaussian curve with the mean sitting at 5.5. Considering you have dropped anime and you'll normally watch popular/suggested anime you and most people's curve should follow a student's distribution with mean around 8.

Also having 0 10's? Do you think you haven't watched any of the top animes in existence? Most of them are probably really popular. Either that or the standard deviation you follow would be really small which means it's really unlikely you'd have ever find many 1's or 2's. They are probably not hosted anywhere.
AngelquasilikeJan 19, 2017 4:54 PM
A curve including all entries should be of a gaussian form. One including limited entries by picking animes you liked and not rating animes you dropped should look like mine.
Amount of total animes each rating should have (percentages): 6-25,7-15,8-6,9-3,10-1
Jan 19, 2017 4:54 PM

Nov 2014
EcchiLordMamster said:
im not talking about before watching the show.. im talking about while watching it

why does the synopsis matter? all the synopsis tells you is the basic premise of the show, not the tone of the show

think about it, if you read the synopsis for movies like Rush Hour or Deadpool, you wouldn't think they were humorous movies, would you?

what im basically saying is, why are you going into any anime thinking its going to be serious, when most generally are not, or at least not very? is anime not known for making light heart of serious situations?

Why does the synopsis matter? It's the only damn thing people can read to find out about the series before it airs. You can tell Akame ga Kill is trying to be serious with that. Just compare that with first paragraph of the synopsis from Ore, Twintails ni Marimasu, it screams "Lol I don't give a fuck"

"Twintails: the glory of all mankind—or at least that is what first-year high school student Souji Mitsuka believes. At school, Souji spends most of his time daydreaming and rating girls' twintails, even going as far as creating a club dedicated to the hairstyle. His obsession does not go unnoticed, however; when monsters from outer space attack Earth and claim the world's twintails for themselves, a strange woman named Twoearle enlists Souji to fight back using twintails of his own!"

I know fuck all about Rush Hour. I've got like exposure to deadpool over advertisements and bloody instagram photos, yet I can tell you Deadpool has COMEDY genre tag to it. Just saying, I know almost nothing about superhero movies/comics, if you are a fan, consider it a disgrace that I'm correcting you on this.

Now back to Akame ga Kill, you say you can immediately tell it's not meant to be serious upon watching it. Do elaborate. Tell me which segments of the show Akame ga Kill is self-aware that it's shit.

I think you just have an inability to ascertain whether a show is meant serious or not, confusing it with whether or not it succeeded in being serious. You need to up your threshold on "Anime that don't give a shit". It's clear when anime just plainly don't give a fuck and is self-aware like Kore wa Zombie desu ka or Noucome. Akame ga Kill is nowhere near the level of not giving a fuck to justify it's poorly executed character death plot device, even if you somehow accept the notion it's not meant to be serious.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Jan 19, 2017 4:54 PM
Aug 2014
Angelquasilike said:
Konakana said:

If you watched every anime your distribution should follow a gaussian curve with the mean sitting at 5.5. Considering you have dropped anime and you'll normally watch popular/suggested animem you and most people's curve should follow a student's distribution with mean around 8

Dropping was a somewhat recent thing I started mid-last year. Prior to that, I completed every show I had started regardless of my opinion on it. A mean of 8? Nah, that's way too high. Higher scores need to be earned. Considering that from what I've seen, the majority of MAL users have a mean score around a 6 or 7, if 6-7 is talking about the "average show", then most certainly they would range between 2-4 on my scale. The thing about being "mediocre" instead of being terrible is the fact that "mediocre" implies that there is balance. In other words, that means that there are still many appreciable qualities which help negate the negative ones. Without these positive qualities, there's nothing to save a series from being terrible and therefore, it can't even reach the baseline for being "mediocre." All of my 5s and 6s are mostly series in which I can still appreciate specific qualities about them, but lack my own personal enjoyment. A perfect example would be Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex which I currently hold at a 5. Enjoyment-wise, I have to say that unfortunately, it's among the least engaging anime I've seen. However, its intense dedication to crafting an intricate sci-fi world acts as a balance against the negative enjoyment. On top of that, it's a series which I can still take seriously which can sometimes be a rarity within the medium. Therefore I can still say that I appreciate GiTS overall and mark it in the middle as my opinion of it has been balanced out. Series which I've given lower scores to aren't necessarily completely exempt from enjoyment either. In some cases it is the opposite, in which I do enjoy a series, but can by no means rank it with everything else I've given a higher score. There's plenty of series which I certainly have enjoyed to a lesser degree, yet certainly cannot compete with some of the stuff higher up. Additionally, my scores are also limited. No matter how well-made a title may be, the highest score it may receive is an 8. No matter how enjoyable a title may be, the highest it may score would be a 7 based off of enjoyment alone. A combination of both is required to reach 9, which is favorites tier. I only have up to 5 favorites per medium, or ten individual 9s for anime AND manga combined. When something else appears which challenges my 9s, one of my 9s is dropped to an 8 to make space for the incoming series. In other words, I give myself a limited number of the high scores I can distribute. I feel that it holds more weight this way. The way I see it, the fewer high scores one gives, the more each individual score means. There can be a user who has given a single 10/10 to one particular series which he/she holds supreme. There can be another user who has given 100 ten scores. Even though a 10 is still a 10 in theory, the single 10 given to a single series probably means more than a random 10 out of the 100 of them. My scale is similar for everything 5-10. It can take a lot to break into the higher tiers, but on my scale, a 7 is actually a very good score in comparison to the score for most series on MAL where a 7.something is average for everything. I assume many users glance upon a 7/10 and not really expect anything from it because on the common scale of a MAL user, "7" is average. Between 5 and 6 is average, and to be average, plenty of positive qualities also need to exist to balance out the negative ones.
Jan 19, 2017 5:15 PM

Jan 2015
@Konakana
Nice wall of text.

Average show is 5.5, middle of the scale.
The average of 99.999% of MAL users mean score is not the same as an average show and it should be higher like it is. Most people don't watch shows randomly, they pick ones that are popular, suggested by a friend or similar to one they watched and liked. Obvious that the shows they end up watching on average are above average. Most people's mean score is actually low. It should be at least 8.

Mediocre is a 4 and I didn't check your list extensively but to create a normal distribution with all the animes anything below 4 is really bad you probably never watched one.
You are fine with lumping shows that are leagues apart in quality in the 1 and 2 category, yet you have 0 10's. There are as many 10's as 1's, yet you think you've seen all the 1's but none of the 10's. Which doesn't make sense unless you went to studios in japan begging for these shows that aren't hosted anywhere on the internet because no one wants to watch them

Also a 10 encompasses 9.5 to 10. While technically a 10 doesn't exist depending on the variation you decide on you can have many 10's.

Overall your rating system is completely unrelated with the intended one.
Jan 19, 2017 5:26 PM

Oct 2014
BurningSpirit said:
EcchiLordMamster said:

Why does the synopsis matter? It's the only damn thing people can read to find out about the series before it airs. You can tell Akame ga Kill is trying to be serious with that. Just compare that with first paragraph of the synopsis from Ore, Twintails ni Marimasu, it screams "Lol I don't give a fuck"

"Twintails: the glory of all mankind—or at least that is what first-year high school student Souji Mitsuka believes. At school, Souji spends most of his time daydreaming and rating girls' twintails, even going as far as creating a club dedicated to the hairstyle. His obsession does not go unnoticed, however; when monsters from outer space attack Earth and claim the world's twintails for themselves, a strange woman named Twoearle enlists Souji to fight back using twintails of his own!"

I know fuck all about Rush Hour. I've got like exposure to deadpool over advertisements and bloody instagram photos, yet I can tell you Deadpool has COMEDY genre tag to it. Just saying, I know almost nothing about superhero movies/comics, if you are a fan, consider it a disgrace that I'm correcting you on this.

Now back to Akame ga Kill, you say you can immediately tell it's not meant to be serious upon watching it. Do elaborate. Tell me which segments of the show Akame ga Kill is self-aware that it's shit.

I think you just have an inability to ascertain whether a show is meant serious or not, confusing it with whether or not it succeeded in being serious. You need to up your threshold on "Anime that don't give a shit". It's clear when anime just plainly don't give a fuck and is self-aware like Kore wa Zombie desu ka or Noucome. Akame ga Kill is nowhere near the level of not giving a fuck to justify it's poorly executed character death plot device, even if you somehow accept the notion it's not meant to be serious.

@EcchiLordMamster I am just going to bumb in here.

The problem is not that the Synopsis sounds serious while the show isn't, if a show was not meant to be taken seriously then that show could have been fun as long as it is consistant in tone like Deadpool or Rush hour is.

The problem with Akame ga kill is that the tone is inconsistent, at one moment it tries to be dark and tragic but then after that moment, it tries to be super wacky and funny. That is Just Tonal whiplashing. The funny part is then not funny because the tragedy still needs to be processed while the tragic part is not tragic because of comedy.
Jan 19, 2017 5:34 PM

Nov 2014
Angelquasilike said:
@Konakana
Nice wall of text.

The average of 99.999% of MAL users mean score is not the same as an average show and it should be higher like it is. Most people don't watch shows randomly, they pick ones that are popular, suggested by a friend or similar to one they watched and liked. Obvious that the shows they end up watching on average are above average. Most people's mean score is actually low. It should be at least 8.

Mediocre is a 4 and I didn't check your list extensively but to create a normal distribution with all the animes anything below 4 is really bad you probably never watched one.
You are fine with lumping shows that are leagues apart in quality in the 1 and 2 category, yet you have 0 10's. There are as many 10's as 1's, yet you think you've seen all the 1's but none of the 10's. Which doesn't make sense unless you went to studios in japan begging for these shows that aren't hosted anywhere on the internet because no one wants to watch them

Also a 10 encompasses 9.5 to 10. While technically a 10 doesn't exist depending on the variation you decide on you can have many 10's.

But most people don't fully use the intended MAL system. Even you. You seem to mostly use a 5-10 range, which is why your average is 7.6.

But the average is not the point. It's about using the relative scores to represent what you think of the show. Having a wider range of values utilised can allow for you to illustrate you views. If you like a show significantly more than another, make sure it is reflected as a one point difference on MAL (since decimals isn't a thing).

Having an average of 5.5, maybe slightly higher at 6 or 6.5 because we watch shows we want to and sometimes don't rate shows we've dropped. It provides sufficient range to represent the shows you like and keeps your upper score range relevant. Its a bit difficult to tell what are your favourites with 9 and 10 cluttered all throughout your anime list. Making a decent spread doesn't mean you dislike the show, many of the shows I've enjoyed I rate 7 or 8. 9 and 10 are just tend to be shows that really really have that something special.

My MAL Interview
Jan 19, 2017 5:36 PM
Aug 2014
Angelquasilike said:
@Konakana
Nice wall of text.

Well, I have watched randomly for years.

On a scale of 1-9, then 5 is the exact middle which is what I'm using as of now.

Overall, for the most part I feel that the majority of anime I've scored should legitimately be placed where they currently are, a few exceptions in the lower tiers, an example being Cowboy Bebop, which holds a 3 even though it's not technically that awful. Some of my 1s might be a slight exaggeration, though most which don't seem to fit are generally series I dislike to such degree that I feel they must be placed there.

Just where does it imply that I've seen all the 1s?

In comparison to many others, a mean of 2.92 might seem a bit harsh, but I assure you that an 8 is also far from what a "normal" distribution should be.

The fact of the matter is that the majority of anime IS NOT above average. Considering how I've seen at least some titles in most genres, including genres I don't particularly like, goes to demonstrate that I have seen some variety in what I watch so I don't think it's that either. For me, many series fail to hit the "mediocre" bar because that implies that they have the strengths to cancel out the negatives.

I assure you that there are FAR more 1/10 productions than 10/10 productions. Considering the amount of poorly made shorts and just terrible works in general, a 1:1 ratio is not even close.
Jan 19, 2017 5:37 PM

Jul 2015
Angelquasilike said:

If you watched every anime your distribution should follow a gaussian curve with the mean sitting at 5.5.

Nope, unless you use the rating scale wrong. It isn't about ranking shows from 1 to 10 (worst to best), it's about giving your opinion on the quality of the show. Your logic doesn't work because it assumes that somehow there's a natural balance between shitty anime and good ones, or anime one enjoys and ones he doesn't. If every anime out there was a turd, would you still hand out 7 and 10 and stick to your "every mean score should tend toward 5.5"?
Jan 19, 2017 5:41 PM

Nov 2014
Bourmegar said:

The problem is not that the Synopsis sounds serious while the show isn't, if a show was not meant to be taken seriously then that show could have been fun as long as it is consistant in tone like Deadpool or Rush hour is.

The problem with Akame ga kill is that the tone is inconsistent, at one moment it tries to be dark and tragic but then after that moment, it tries to be super wacky and funny. That is Just Tonal whiplashing. The funny part is then not funny because the tragedy still needs to be processed while the tragic part is not tragic because of comedy.

Thanks, probably explained inconsistent tone better than I could. I've got much to learn.

In any case, even in the moment where they attempt to be wacky or funny, it never took away from the serious tone of the show, it just broke the tone. Yet I've found that some anime has done it well, like Drifters I thought they had a change in tone but it was never as jarringly painful as in Akame ga Kill and still felt like a serious show.

My MAL Interview
Jan 19, 2017 5:51 PM

Oct 2010
Yeah, OP. It definitely does leave you pretty critical and I consider myself extremely forgiving. I've got a lot of sevens on my list but mainly because I can look past obvious flaws and enjoy something for what it is, not what it's lacking... but I'm hyperaware of tropes and cliches.

What I find amazing about modern anime is that there is a meta element involved in the writing, i.e. hot springs/beach/bath episodes where the script does a minor 4th wall bend and acknowledges that the characters are participating in this trope. I actually enjoy that a lot.

I think at this point the most of what we can hope for is going to be a unique interpretation on a theme.
Jan 19, 2017 5:53 PM

Sep 2015
Probably because the more you watch, the lower your mean score will tend to be. You've seen more, so you have more to compare to; you have a bigger collection so it becomes more important to utilise the entire scale so as to have some sort of discernible difference between everything you've seen. You probably also don't get as excited about anime once you've seen several hundred of them. It's not like you're just getting into it and experiencing all the tropes, stories and the like for the first time, where everything is interesting. For many anime, it'll just become a case of "I've seen something similar to this before" so you'll naturally rate it a little lower. Something that you would have enjoyed at the start of your anime watching career would turn into something you think is just alright.

Side note - it's amusing that I take a several month break from the forums, only to come back and see the same topics being argued back and forth by the same people.
MazJan 19, 2017 6:11 PM
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Jan 19, 2017 5:53 PM

Jan 2015
@BurningSpirit
Well the reason my rating is 5 to 10 is because I don't watch or drop the shitty anime. And since most people do the same they shouldn't use the lower ratings.
My rating is probably still harsh considering most of the anime I've watched is "popular" and has good quality.
Like you said the rating system is relative and you have only 10 values. I can like a show significantly more than other but I only have 10 values to do differentiate.

@Konakona half of the anime is above average the other half is below average. I don't watch the half below average because no one recommends it and it isn't popular.

@Clebardman Even if all animes were turd you can still separate between shiny are shitty turds. The rating system is relative to other anime. It will always cancel because between one anime and another you can always pick a better one. So if you stack them all up by order you'll find how to distribute them even if they are all unenjoyable for you.
Jan 19, 2017 5:56 PM

Oct 2014
BurningSpirit said:
Bourmegar said:

Thanks, probably explained inconsistent tone better than I could. I've got much to learn.

In any case, even in the moment where they attempt to be wacky or funny, it never took away from the serious tone of the show, it just broke the tone. Yet I've found that some anime has done it well, like Drifters I thought they had a change in tone but it was never as jarringly painful as in Akame ga Kill and still felt like a serious show.

Haven't watched drifters yet....

Ok I watched one episode of it and to me it looked mostly like Baddass action.
Was the tone shift not so Jarring because maybe it already had a bit of the tone Where it shifted into before the tone shift happened? Or was that less jarring due to Drifters not being that tragic?
Jan 19, 2017 6:01 PM
Aug 2014
Angelquasilike said:
@BurningSpirit
Well the reason my rating is 5 to 10 is because I don't watch or drop the shitty anime. And since most people do the same they shouldn't use the lower ratings.
My rating is probably still harsh considering most of the anime I've watched is "popular" and has good quality.
Like you said the rating system is relative and you have only 10 values. I can like a show significantly more than other but I only have 10 values to do differentiate.

@Konakona half of the anime is above average the other half is below average. I don't watch the half below average because no one recommends it and it isn't popular.

@Clebardman Even if all animes were turd you can still separate between shiny are shitty turds. The rating system is relative to other anime. It will always cancel because between one anime and another you can always pick a better one. So if you stack them all up by order you'll find how to distribute them even if they are all unenjoyable for you.

Popularity and quality have nearly no correlation. Hyouge Mono for example holds a popularity ranking of nearly 3k. While there are still plenty of anime even further down there, Hyouge still seems to be one which remains under-watched. The fact that it has pulled in a 9 shows that excellence can still exist in the less popular stuff.
Jan 19, 2017 6:09 PM

Nov 2014
Bourmegar said:
Haven't watched drifters yet....

Ok I watched one episode of it and to me it looked mostly like Baddass action.
Was the tone shift not so Jarring because maybe it already had a bit of the tone Where it shifted into before the tone shift happened? Or was that less jarring due to Drifters not being that tragic?

A bit of both. The character are an interesting bunch of people with their own strengths and quirky tendencies. The jarring tone of Akame ga Kill is because the light-hearted scenes are inappropriate (and with fanservice). Drifters, it's pretty much established that the characters are weird but like to tease, retort at each other and show off.

It's also much less forced feels in Akame ga Kill.

They also use the "other perspective" technique, which is one where we know the intentions of the main cast, but the shift to the less serious tone by using a funny animation that is one of the elves' imagination of the man characters.

My MAL Interview
Jan 19, 2017 6:16 PM

Nov 2014
Angelquasilike said:
@BurningSpirit

A dangerous association between popular and good. I've mentioned in in another similar thread as well.

In any case, seriously, you've never been disappointed? You never thought the middle of say Shingeki no Kyojin had a shitty character death plot device that failed miserably? Just an example.

Isn't giving so many things a 10 just making your upper range irrelevant? Don't you have preferences between those you've rated 10? Would it then be better for a 1 score difference between some of them?

My MAL Interview
Jan 19, 2017 6:20 PM

Jan 2015
Konakana said:
Angelquasilike said:
@BurningSpirit

Popularity and quality have nearly no correlation. Hyouge Mono for example holds a popularity ranking of nearly 3k. While there are still plenty of anime even further down there, Hyouge still seems to be one which remains under-watched. The fact that it has pulled in a 9 shows that excellence can still exist in the less popular stuff.

There's like one or 2 animes on top 100 TV series that are below 100k members.
In the most popular top 100 there's like 2 animes below 7.5.
That's a pretty high correlation to me.
And that show is in like the 9% most popular anyways.

@BurningSpirit
There are only 10 values to pick from.
Jan 19, 2017 6:30 PM

Feb 2010
Angelquasilike said:
Konakana said:

There's 2.5 easy explanations for this.

1. Shows with low viewer numbers get weighted down by the calculation of how the score is calculated to some degree.
2. People go to the best rated shows when they look for something to watch so even pretty unpopular anime will easily reach those 100k members + given enough time. For example Tatami Galaxy wasn't anywhere near those numbers when it first aired, but it was already highly rated because it's very good. The popularity numbers are just slowly catching up over time.
2.5. People who watch less popular/niche stuff tend to use the full rating scale more often while most people who rate from like 7-10 are mostly watching the popular mainstream stuff

So I don't think popularity and quality are that closely related. Only modern anime and even among those mostly a few genres have access to REAL popularity in the first place, but quality can be found all over the spectrum and decades.
Jan 19, 2017 6:36 PM

Jan 2015
Pullman said:
Angelquasilike said:

There's 2.5 easy explanations for this.

1. Shows with low viewer numbers get weighted down by the calculation of how the score is calculated to some degree.
2. People go to the best rated shows when they look for something to watch so even pretty unpopular anime will easily reach those 100k members + given enough time. For example Tatami Galaxy wasn't anywhere near those numbers when it first aired, but it was already highly rated because it's very good. The popularity numbers are just slowly catching up over time.
2.5. People who watch less popular/niche stuff tend to use the full rating scale more often while most people who rate from like 7-10 are mostly watching the popular mainstream stuff

So I don't think popularity and quality are that closely related. Only modern anime and even among those mostly a few genres have access to REAL popularity in the first place, but quality can be found all over the spectrum and decades.

You are arguing in favor of a positive correlation. If you are saying that good shows get more popular over time, and unpopular shows get worse over time.
People who watch unpopular shows rate lower, people who watch popular rate higher.
How can you make these points and then argue that they are not related?
Old shows lose quality over time though because on MAL shows are compared in the present not when they aired. Animation quality, voice acting, budget, competition and quantity have increased over the years. It's normal for more recent anime to be rated higher on average than older.
Jan 19, 2017 6:38 PM

Apr 2016
cuz most anime is American soap opera material. or Mexican.

soap opera material. with someone tickling your balls or laughing at your sadness.

that's why.

... its still pretty good though.

More
Yummy
Flavors

TripHop
VGM
Hope
Trance
Jan 19, 2017 6:38 PM
Aug 2014
Angelquasilike said:
Konakana said:

The problem arises when one attempts to use the top ranked series as an absolute judgement of quality. There are plenty of series which shouldn't belong close to where they stand. Let's take Kimi no Na wa, which currently occupies the top position when it comes to the top 50 by score. Going by what you're saying, it's greater than whatever else is below it, which I can assure you, is not the case.

Inversely, while there certainly is popular stuff that is in fact great, many popular series actually lack said quality, as many of the most popular titles merely appeal to a broad audience, and guess what? Heavy violence, dumb comedy and sexual elements are what sell and not surprisingly, they are what compose many of the most popular titles. Not to say that these components are bad in all cases, but they can easily be mistaken for quality and substance.

What is 9% most popular?

If we are counting sequels and such, then there are 33/100 titles in the top 100 w/o 100k members, not just 1 or 2.
Jan 19, 2017 6:45 PM

Nov 2014
Angelquasilike said:

@BurningSpirit
There are only 10 values to pick from.

I don't care what's in the top 100. They are opinions of others. If I watch a show and I liked it, then find out it's top whatever. Cool. If I hated it, then find it's in the top whatever. Cool. The point is to then discuss about it in a meaningful way and not blanket popularity and quality together.

I'm not saying there no relation between popularity and quality. It's just that I find most extremely popular anime just merely above average or good. I just feel that picking anime to watch on popularity is ruining yourself the opportunity to decide if it's good yourself.

Yes there are 10 values, so why limit yourself further? I personally use 100 values, but is forced to round off because MAL doesn't support decimals.

My MAL Interview
Jan 19, 2017 6:46 PM

Oct 2014
I don't really come here to rate, for me I just want to enjoy what I watch but when I do, I myself rate anime on my own personal enjoyment - ones that I really like get a 9-10 and ones I liked but wouldn't consider a favorite (but probably would still recommend to friends) get a 7-8.

But, lately as I've watched more and more anime I have found my scores going lower to 4's and 5's. I think it's maybe because as I watch more and more, I sort've understand what I like better and what makes me bored (and usually what makes me bored is probably the 4-5 range for me).

So maybe that's why some people who watch a lot A LOT anime have 1-3 scores, they're probs just used to watching so much anime things feel repeated or overused idk that's just my guess :p
LunoireJan 19, 2017 6:50 PM
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Yesterday

20 by Sorachin »»
3 seconds ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 25 minutes ago

6 by LightWorker »»
5 minutes ago

» have you guys watched texhnolyze?

brainburger - Apr 21

37 by animejas »»
6 minutes ago

» Things you are jealous of in anime

IpreferEcchi - Apr 20

46 by Maou_heika »»
7 minutes ago

» Skibidi toilet piece (One piece story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - 5 hours ago

13 by Maou_heika »»
9 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.