Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Jan 19, 2017 6:59 PM

Jan 2015
@Konakona
Fine change 100k for 50k, you wouldn't have to scroll much to find all of them on the popular list is what I mean.
There are over 33k entries on MAL that show is below 3k. Not that it matters there are probably unpopular shows that are rated high but there's obvious a positive correlation that's pretty high.
And I'm not saying the top 100 should be equal or even similar to your rating. I mean there are a few people out there that might dislike all the popular shows. But their distribution of scores will still be pretty high because they'll probably watch animes that are similar to ones they liked.

@BurningSpirit
It's the opinion of all others together. Asking for a random people what's good is probably not gonna help but if everyone on average rates a show good its probability of being good for me is high.
And your top 100 in quality is not gonna be the same as the top 100 in popularity of the website, but it's gonna have quite a bit of an overlap for most people. Considering there are over 30k entries it's obvious to see the correlation is pretty high especially near the top. As popularity drops the overlap is probably going to be lower but it's more related with the lack of data.
A curve including all entries should be of a gaussian form. One including limited entries by picking animes you liked and not rating animes you dropped should look like mine.
Amount of total animes each rating should have (percentages): 6-25,7-15,8-6,9-3,10-1
Jan 19, 2017 7:04 PM
Jun 2016
Actually I think that the people that has a very low mean score (5 or below) are the ones who are scoring the dropped anime and also that they are serious about it. I mean I have a mean score of 7.5 because I give a lot of 10. But when I give 10s it doesn't mean that the anime is a masterpiece but it just mean that it deserves better. And the people with low mean scores are just being honest of what they saw.
Jan 19, 2017 7:06 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
@BurningSpirit

i'll skip the super hero shit, as im not a fan of it either, but its a good comparison, since theyre dark movies with humor

half of Akame ga Kill is comedy... and you know how much comedy the show has... thats all i need to tell you that the show isn't serious.. if the show was serious, it would be like Psycho pass.. an anime thats obviously never supposed to make you laugh

if an anime intentionally tries to make you laugh, i don't give a fuck how much violence and death is in it, i don't consider it serious

deadpool and rush hour are the same, violence and poeple dying, yet theres jokes every so often, AGK was the same... im sorry the MAL labeler didn't give the show the comedy tag, but it sure deserves it

other anime i look at the same as AGK are HoTD and Taboo tatoo, shows that are constantly mixing in humor during dark moments.. even DBZ does that

Bourmegar said:

The problem with Akame ga kill is that the tone is inconsistent, at one moment it tries to be dark and tragic but then after that moment, it tries to be super wacky and funny. That is Just Tonal whiplashing. The funny part is then not funny because the tragedy still needs to be processed while the tragic part is not tragic because of comedy.

as i said to @BurningSpirit in order for me to consider something serious, it has to be pretty much entirely void of comedy, i don't see a problem with doing that as its imo a creative way to mix up the mood of a show

if an anime is constantly trying to make you laugh, i won't consider it serious no matter what else it has in it
Jan 19, 2017 7:08 PM

Nov 2014
jinheanime34 said:
Actually I think that the people that has a very low mean score (5 or below) are the ones who are scoring the dropped anime and also that they are serious about it. I mean I have a mean score of 7.5 because I give a lot of 10. But when I give 10s it doesn't mean that the anime is a masterpiece but it just mean that it deserves better. And the people with low mean scores are just being honest of what they saw.

What for? It's not your job to fix MAL scores.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Jan 19, 2017 7:10 PM

Jun 2014
Let them be. It has nothing to do with me..
Jan 19, 2017 7:10 PM

Feb 2010
Angelquasilike said:
Pullman said:

There's 2.5 easy explanations for this.

1. Shows with low viewer numbers get weighted down by the calculation of how the score is calculated to some degree.
2. People go to the best rated shows when they look for something to watch so even pretty unpopular anime will easily reach those 100k members + given enough time. For example Tatami Galaxy wasn't anywhere near those numbers when it first aired, but it was already highly rated because it's very good. The popularity numbers are just slowly catching up over time.
2.5. People who watch less popular/niche stuff tend to use the full rating scale more often while most people who rate from like 7-10 are mostly watching the popular mainstream stuff

So I don't think popularity and quality are that closely related. Only modern anime and even among those mostly a few genres have access to REAL popularity in the first place, but quality can be found all over the spectrum and decades.

You are arguing in favor of a positive correlation. If you are saying that good shows get more popular over time, and unpopular shows get worse over time.
People who watch unpopular shows rate lower, people who watch popular rate higher.
How can you make these points and then argue that they are not related?

I'm saying that quality can lead to some degree of popularity over prolonged periods of time. But that also means that for a decent amount of time a lot of quality shows will be unpopular so it doesn't prove anything.
And popularity doesn't have to have anything to do with quality, it will just seem that way because it attracts a lot of people who rate everything highly, aka who can't discern quality and/or don't care about it.

As I said, I don't think they're as closely related as you think because your arguments had the causality backwards. That doesn't mean they're entirely unrelated though. So I'm not making the argument that they are 'not related'. Just far from the absolute correlation you seemed to imply.

Old shows lose quality over time though because on MAL shows are compared in the present not when they aired.

I'm not gonna get into the muh modern anime is so superior to older anime bs right now, at least not with my usual level of details. Not at this time of the night. Just let me say that people will put up with bad animation if it's in a modern anime a lot of the time and then call something with objectively great animation like Akira 'badly animated' and refuse to watch it because of the visuals. Older anime being less popular and lower rated has nothing to do with quality and all with prejudice. The label of 'old' is enough to make an anime unpopular, no matter how good it is. Which was my point from the start. Old anime are unpopular no matter the quality, hence no correlation at all for a large chunk of the DB.

Animation quality, voice acting, budget, competition and quantity have increased over the years. It's normal for more recent anime to be rated higher on average than older.

Animation quality/budgets might have gotten slightly better on average but not to a significant enough degree that there aren't hundreds of exceptions in both directions (badly animated modern series and well-animated older ones) that should guarantee that the score and popularity discrepancy isn't as big on average as it is. It's more important whether an anime is labeled old or new than how good it actually looks when it comes to popularity because people won't even check out old stuff.

I'm not sure voice acting has even has improved over the years. Do you also think that Hollywood actors from the 2010 are generally better than actors from the 80s and 90s? Personally I don't, good actors exist in every decade.

If anything more competition between studios just means that they have to UNDERBID each other for getting contracts. Basically trying to appeal by costing the production committee less money, leading to lower budgets, not higher ones.

And quantity has nothing to do with quality at all and just as little with averages. more crap and more good stuff should even each other out on average.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 19, 2017 7:14 PM

Jun 2013

You simply can't take AgK that seriously because of its so-much-edge, it's going from an extrem to the other, it's always about the most brutal deaths, worst scenario, forced despair, the kid king is a living joke among many others condemning his own loyal soldiers and citizens to death, eerything is so absurd, minus the main crew and the black katsumi the entire world is fucked up beyond imagination, they are all 1D murderers, it's pure hysteria everywhere.

Ep1:
- Hey im Katsumi i'm going to meet my happy friends and become the stongest swordman!
5min later=> Robbed, everyone is corrupted, i'm poisoned by cute loli who is a secretely a psycho, brutal deaths, absurd torture blahblah

I really cannot do anything for you if this show's world made sense to you, i'm painfully sorry the show didn't have a "Warning, believe it or not this is actually pretty sick~", still i'm more in awe that people complains about agk being *somewhat(???)* absurd.

note: when a show suddenly alternate between heavy comedy and very serious business, it's typically an absurd show.
Jan 19, 2017 7:18 PM
Jun 2016
BurningSpirit said:
jinheanime34 said:

What for? It's not your job to fix MAL scores.

I'm not the person who is fixing scores on MAL but I really want to do it cause seriously some anime really deserve better. But I admit it that it's also for fun.......
Jan 19, 2017 7:22 PM

Nov 2014
EcchiLordMamster said:
@BurningSpirit

i'll skip the super hero shit, as im not a fan of it either, but its a good comparison, since theyre dark movies with humor

half of Akame ga Kill is comedy... and you know how much comedy the show has... thats all i need to tell you that the show isn't serious.. if the show was serious, it would be like Psycho pass.. an anime thats obviously never supposed to make you laugh

if an anime intentionally tries to make you laugh, i don't give a fuck how much violence and death is in it, i don't consider it serious

deadpool and rush hour are the same, violence and poeple dying, yet theres jokes every so often, AGK was the same... im sorry the MAL labeler didn't give the show the comedy tag, but it sure deserves it

other anime i look at the same as AGK are HoTD and Taboo tatoo, shows that are constantly mixing in humor during dark moments.. even DBZ does that

HoTD is painfully self-aware, the mindless boobs physics and that infamous scene. Taboo tattoo was shit and it was taking itself way too seriously.

If that's your definition of being serious, that's way too rigid. If Akame ga Kill is a comedy, then comedy would be tagged everywhere to a point where the tag is meaningless. Shows that fit into your definition of "serious" would be a pain to watch, because within any show, there has to be a change of tone and pace.

Serious is not devoid of comedy. For me, it's being so damn insistent of achieving something that they stubbornly cling to it and fail to see the value of chilling the fuck down. Mirai Nikki is trying to hard in a way too, it kept trying to one up itself on the craziness. Akame ga Kill is so damn insistent on breaking character plot armour, that it's character death become a painful formulaic process.

In the end, Akame ga Kill is nowhere near as serious as what you deem "serious". But it takes itself far too seriously for the what it has.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Jan 19, 2017 7:24 PM

Apr 2013
The more and better anime you watch, your standards grow (or they should)
gradually having higher standards isn't wrong at all, everyone should always look for
and expect something better.. Most anime aren't 7/10 or better, so it'd make sense
that your average rating would be lower (if you have standards or taste)
Jan 19, 2017 7:27 PM

Apr 2013
Angelquasilike said:

There's like one or 2 animes on top 100 TV series that are below 100k members.
In the most popular top 100 there's like 2 animes below 7.5.
That's a pretty high correlation to me.
And that show is in like the 9% most popular anyways.

SAO is one of the most popular of all time, your argument is void.
Popularity is in fact correlated to overratedness. (not always, but more than half the time)
Jan 19, 2017 7:34 PM

Jan 2015
A-S-U-K-A said:
Angelquasilike said:

There's like one or 2 animes on top 100 TV series that are below 100k members.
In the most popular top 100 there's like 2 animes below 7.5.
That's a pretty high correlation to me.
And that show is in like the 9% most popular anyways.

SAO is one of the most popular of all time, your argument is void.
Popularity is in fact correlated to overratedness. (not always, but more than half the time)

I gave SAO a 10, fite me. They made a good all around show of a very unexplored concept that turned to be really popular.
A curve including all entries should be of a gaussian form. One including limited entries by picking animes you liked and not rating animes you dropped should look like mine.
Amount of total animes each rating should have (percentages): 6-25,7-15,8-6,9-3,10-1
Jan 19, 2017 7:37 PM

Nov 2014
Lap1 said:
You simply can't take AgK that seriously because of its so-much-edge, it's going from an extrem to the other, it's always about the most brutal deaths, worst scenario, forced despair, the kid king is a living joke among many others condemning his own loyal soldiers and citizens to death, eerything is so absurd, minus the main crew and the black katsumi the entire world is fucked up beyond imagination, they are all 1D murderers, it's pure hysteria everywhere.

Ep1:
- Hey im Katsumi i'm going to meet my happy friends and become the stongest swordman!
5min later=> Robbed, everyone is corrupted, i'm poisoned by cute loli who is a secretely a psycho, brutal deaths, absurd torture blahblah

I really cannot do anything for you if this show's world made sense to you, i'm painfully sorry the show didn't have a "Warning, believe it or not this is actually pretty sick~", still i'm more in awe that people complains about agk being *somewhat(???)* absurd.

note: when a show suddenly alternate between heavy comedy and very serious business, it's typically an absurd show.

That's an interesting way to tag us... You do know inserting username after @ works too?

Ok... Anyway, whether or not you can take it seriously is different from if the author meant for it to be serious. Being serious for me is when a show is insistent of doing something that is trying so hard to be different, but don't actually have the capacity to do it.

The shitty formulaic progression of the story and the world building is precisely because it's taking itself seriously, it's trying too damn hard to make it dark and edgy. It is taking itself seriously. The author didn't write this thinking "Haha, this is batshit crazy, I'm sure everyone will be laughing at how stupid this scene is".

If you are so insistent of shows being either not serious or serious, then I would like to say it's a scale. And on the scale of seriousness, AgK is closer to "serious AF anime" to "Fk everything, this is randomness being crazy cause why the fuck not? LOL"

My MAL Interview
Jan 19, 2017 7:38 PM

Apr 2013
Angelquasilike said:

I gave SAO a 10, fite me. They made a good all around show of a very unexplored concept that turned to be really popular.

never have a heard so many false statements in one sentence...
Jan 19, 2017 7:41 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
BurningSpirit said:

HoTD is painfully self-aware, the mindless boobs physics and that infamous scene. Taboo tattoo was shit and it was taking itself way too seriously.

If that's your definition of being serious, that's way too rigid. If Akame ga Kill is a comedy, then comedy would be tagged everywhere to a point where the tag is meaningless. Shows that fit into your definition of "serious" would be a pain to watch, because within any show, there has to be a change of tone and pace.

Serious is not devoid of comedy. For me, it's being so damn insistent of achieving something that they stubbornly cling to it and fail to see the value of chilling the fuck down. Mirai Nikki is trying to hard in a way too, it kept trying to one up itself on the craziness. Akame ga Kill is so damn insistent on breaking character plot armour, that it's character death become a painful formulaic process.

In the end, Akame ga Kill is nowhere near as serious as what you deem "serious". But it takes itself far too seriously for the what it has.

1/2 of Akame ga Kill was jokes and humorous moment, i fail to see how you can't agree with that. what about Akame ga Kill was serious?

is Pyscho Pass a pain to watch? is Another a pain to watch? those are shows that aren't really ever trying to ever make you laugh, sure theyre not always dark, but they never really have "comedic" moments

well our definitions of serious are definitely clashing and i just don't see the problem with what Akame ga Kill did... the entire point of the show was "were all gonna die and you don't know when"

shock value was the whole point, it was creative and theres nothing wrong with that, especially considering it was a pretty successful show

i don't find a show that cracks jokes as much as AGK did any less self aware than HoTD which did the same
Jan 19, 2017 7:54 PM

Nov 2014
Angelquasilike said:

Do elaborate on why you gave SAO a 10. State it's flaws then proceed to explain how it didn't take away from the overall experience.

For me I rated it a 5, it's the average of the 2 arcs. 7 for SAO, 3 for ALO.

For the SAO arc, criticisms I had of it was not having an appropriate pacing, characters I couldn't care less of a shit about and having an asspull ending. Overall it was entertaining however with a great hook in the beginning and a decent world building, there was never once where I thought "Is this ending yet?"

As for ALO, everything... everything went wrong. All characters were chucked out of the window except Kirito and Asuna (locked up in a cage to be raped by tentacles), introducing incest jail bait. The relationship between Kirito and incest bait was pretty awkward, the progression was unnatural and overall her character was unnecessary. The plot as again was rushed and I couldn't care about the characters. Yet this time, it isn't saved by being entertaining because none of the other players in ALO was even remotely useful in driving plot progression or character development, they are just there to jerk off Kirito about his power carried over from SAO for some bullshit reason.

My MAL Interview
Jan 19, 2017 8:11 PM

Jan 2015
@BurningSpirit
Technical I have nothing to say, awesome art, voice acting, sound effects and soundtrack. Many of the soundtracks and one of the OP's I have saved and listen sometimes.

Character development is definitely good, the game is an RPG and you follow their leveling, most fantasy stories pale in character development because they focus more on explaining the world and interactions with it, but because the world leveled with the characters I didn't feel it was that badly explained but it's one of it weakest points.

The plot wasn't that great and there was some armor plot but I don't think it was that bad. The main thread was still there and it had a decent pace for most of the show. It kinda got rushed in the end.

The environment and premise are probably what made it a 10 though I'm not going to deny it. But in a fantasy/action packed anime together with animation and sound it counts for the most of it. It's less about the story and more about the WOW factor in these type of animes.
Jan 19, 2017 9:22 PM

Nov 2009
Ryuuzahar said:
@flannan
Your point is?
To have a standard than having no standard is my point.
I think we both agree on that unless you think otherwise.

"Mechanically using a standard is a bad idea".
Jan 20, 2017 12:39 AM

Sep 2009
It's mostly the amount of anime you watch. The more you see, the better you can understand when animes are done poorly, or simply done half-assedly.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Jan 20, 2017 12:58 AM

Feb 2013
Angelquasilike said:
@Konakona
Fine change 100k for 50k, you wouldn't have to scroll much to find all of them on the popular list is what I mean.
There are over 33k entries on MAL that show is below 3k. Not that it matters there are probably unpopular shows that are rated high but there's obvious a positive correlation that's pretty high.
And I'm not saying the top 100 should be equal or even similar to your rating. I mean there are a few people out there that might dislike all the popular shows. But their distribution of scores will still be pretty high because they'll probably watch animes that are similar to ones they liked.

@BurningSpirit
It's the opinion of all others together. Asking for a random people what's good is probably not gonna help but if everyone on average rates a show good its probability of being good for me is high.
And your top 100 in quality is not gonna be the same as the top 100 in popularity of the website, but it's gonna have quite a bit of an overlap for most people. Considering there are over 30k entries it's obvious to see the correlation is pretty high especially near the top. As popularity drops the overlap is probably going to be lower but it's more related with the lack of data.
There are not 30k current database entries. Most ids correspond to deleted applications. The id you see in the URL is increased by 1 every time a new application is submitted through this form -> https://myanimelist.net/panel.php?go=anime_series&do=add . Since everyone can do it, there's bound to be a lot of duplicates and entries that do not fit the guidelines.
The majority of those 30k ids correspond to anime that were submitted through that form, and refused by the database admins and moderators.

Tenkuu Danzai Skelter+Heaven, the infamously lowest rated anime, is "Ranked #8192". This is the amount of non-hentai anime, with at least 50 ratings.
After that, the anime with less than 50 ratings are ordered alphabetically, making Zumomo to Nupepe the last ranked anime, at #11055. This means there are 2862 non-hentai entries with less than 50 ratings.
And just for the record, there are ~1385 hentai entries, most of which have more than 50 ratings.
Jan 20, 2017 3:16 AM

Mar 2016
By watching/reading more your taste develops and you start to have standards. You start to see what you like and what you don't. Of course that may not be the case for all people but for the majority of time it's as simple as that.
Jan 20, 2017 3:32 AM

Apr 2015
EllieBelly said:
By watching/reading more your taste develops and you start to have standards. You start to see what you like and what you don't. Of course that may not be the case for all people but for the majority of time it's as simple as that.

Hmm I saw some users here with 2k+ completed but with average ratings above 7 though, I guess average ratings are just prefereces. I myself consider 5 as average hence most shows will fall under my 5's, and I like it due to you can touch the lowest and highest scale equally, and can group anime in a more diverse way (although I'll still prefer 1-100 rating system than 1-10 so that I can less generalizing. (Also Hi Ellie, nice to see you at forums!))
Jan 20, 2017 3:37 AM

Jan 2015
@romagia
That's less than I thought but 11k or 12.5k with Hentai.
I have like 400 completed animu. Obviously most of them are gonna be from the high end spectrum of the normal distribution.
Either people don't think Anime should follow a normal distribution or they think all the 9's and 10's are really obscure and they haven't watched them for some reason. Or their standard deviation is really low I guess and they think almost everyone is between 4-7 except for a few of them
AngelquasilikeJan 20, 2017 3:42 AM
Jan 20, 2017 3:39 AM

Jun 2015
I used to like animes but now i feel like im wasting my time watching the same thing over and over.

Also its good to be choosy if you don't have much time.
weebs
Jan 20, 2017 3:58 AM

Mar 2016
You said:
EllieBelly said:

Hmm I saw some users here with 2k+ completed but with average ratings above 7 though, I guess average ratings are just prefereces. I myself consider 5 as average hence most shows will fall under my 5's, and I like it due to you can touch the lowest and highest scale equally, and can group anime in a more diverse way (although I'll still prefer 1-100 rating system than 1-10 so that I can less generalizing. (Also Hi Ellie, nice to see you at forums!))

Well I've seen this happen. A lot of people consider a 7 to be average because C is an average grade and for a C (in some countries) you need 70%. Tbh this pretty stupid and in a 1-10 rating system really nonsensical.
Jan 20, 2017 4:06 AM

Apr 2015
EllieBelly said:
You said:

Well I've seen this happen. A lot of people consider a 7 to be average because C is an average grade and for a C (in some countries) you need 70%. Tbh this pretty stupid and in a 1-10 rating system really nonsensical.

Yeah, blame school for giving us high passing grades hahah

Fill MAL forums with Slav memes pls
Jan 20, 2017 4:13 AM

Mar 2016
You said:
EllieBelly said:

Yeah, blame school for giving us high passing grades hahah

Fill MAL forums with Slav memes pls

I will! Be proud of me when I do!!! ;_;
Jan 20, 2017 4:56 AM

Jul 2015
Angelquasilike said:
@Clebardman Even if all animes were turd you can still separate between shiny are shitty turds. The rating system is relative to other anime. It will always cancel because between one anime and another you can always pick a better one. So if you stack them all up by order you'll find how to distribute them even if they are all unenjoyable for you.

Yes, I got that, and my point still stands: You fail to understand how the damn rating scale here works. No, I' wouldn't rank turds from 1 to 10, because 7/10 means good, and turds aren't good. I like your enthusiasm but your theory is completely flawed and can't stand a closer inspection.

edit: oh please, some more "modern is always better" bullshit. I hate this place.
DeathkoJan 20, 2017 5:02 AM
Jan 20, 2017 5:08 AM

Jan 2015
Clebardman said:
Angelquasilike said:
@Clebardman Even if all animes were turd you can still separate between shiny are shitty turds. The rating system is relative to other anime. It will always cancel because between one anime and another you can always pick a better one. So if you stack them all up by order you'll find how to distribute them even if they are all unenjoyable for you.

Yes, I got that, and my point still stands: You fail to understand how the damn rating scale here works. No, I' wouldn't rank turds from 1 to 10, because 7/10 means good, and turds aren't good. I like your enthusiasm but your theory is completely flawed and can't stand a closer inspection.

edit: oh please, some more "modern is always better" bullshit. I hate this place.

Good, average, bad are all relative terms. The only ones that arguably aren't relative are masterpiece and maybe appalling. But then which distribution should anime fall if not a normal one like almost everything else in the world that isn't intelligently designed?
Jan 20, 2017 5:22 AM

Jul 2015
@Angelquasilike.

Nope, they aren't "relative" terms. Damn dude I'm the one who smokes pot here but your logic is baffling me lol. If all anime magically evened out and it was "all relative", then any sample of anime should even out, since "it's all relative". Do you have a mean score of 5.5? No.

I litertally have no idea what's this wtf theory is about, but coupled with your signature it's giving me the impression that you're either trolling, or not understanding what you're saying.
Jan 20, 2017 5:36 AM

Jan 2015
Clebardman said:
@Angelquasilike.

Nope, they aren't "relative" terms. Damn dude I'm the one who smokes pot here but your logic is baffling me lol. If all anime magically evened out and it was "all relative", then any sample of anime should even out, since "it's all relative". Do you have a mean score of 5.5? No.

I litertally have no idea what's this wtf theory is about, but coupled with your signature it's giving me the impression that you're either trolling, or not understanding what you're saying.

How is good not a relative term? It literally means better than average. And average is a mathematical term that means in the middle.
You obviously don't want to distribute the anime you watched based only on what you watched. Otherwise you'd have to change scores all the time when you add new anime. Makes a lot more sense to rate relative to all anime.

This is a gaussian distribution

And if you pick random animes to watch your rating should follow that curve. But because the way we pick animes to watch is biased towards higher ratings. Our rating distribution should look skewed like mine is.
Jan 20, 2017 5:40 AM

Jul 2015
@Angelquasilike Nope it's not relative, and you aknowledge this by saying "You obviously don't want to distribute the anime you watched based only on what you watched. ". If it was relative, you'd have to keep a 5.5 mean score in permanence. How can you tell the shows you saw are good, when you haven't seen the bad shows and quality is only relative?

You're putting way too much effort to link your own mean score and your theory. It won't work.
Jan 20, 2017 5:52 AM

Jan 2015
Clebardman said:
@Angelquasilike Nope it's not relative, and you aknowledge this by saying "You obviously don't want to distribute the anime you watched based only on what you watched. ". If it was relative, you'd have to keep a 5.5 mean score in permanence. How can you tell the shows you saw are good, when you haven't seen the bad shows and quality is only relative?

You're putting way too much effort to link your own mean score and your theory. It won't work.

You can estimate the relativity. 10k entries, using my percentages that would be 2500 at 6, 1500 at 7, 600 at 8, 300 at 9 and 100 at 10.
It doesn't make sense to distribute your ratings normally because your sampling is not random. But no matter what form of sampling you use the bigger the sample the closer your curve should become to a gaussian one
Jan 20, 2017 6:00 AM

Nov 2014
Angelquasilike said:
How is good not a relative term? It literally means better than average. And average is a mathematical term that means in the middle.
You obviously don't want to distribute the anime you watched based only on what you watched. Otherwise you'd have to change scores all the time when you add new anime. Makes a lot more sense to rate relative to all anime.

This is a gaussian distribution

And if you pick random animes to watch your rating should follow that curve. But because the way we pick animes to watch is biased towards higher ratings. Our rating distribution should look skewed like mine is.

Must be nice to live in your world. "Everything is popular because it's good" or "The anime you get recommended by the average anime viewer is over average". Your expectation seems pretty low.
Angelquasilike said:
@BurningSpirit
Technical I have nothing to say, awesome art, voice acting, sound effects and soundtrack. Many of the soundtracks and one of the OP's I have saved and listen sometimes.

Character development is definitely good, the game is an RPG and you follow their leveling, most fantasy stories pale in character development because they focus more on explaining the world and interactions with it, but because the world leveled with the characters I didn't feel it was that badly explained but it's one of it weakest points.

The plot wasn't that great and there was some armor plot but I don't think it was that bad. The main thread was still there and it had a decent pace for most of the show. It kinda got rushed in the end.

The environment and premise are probably what made it a 10 though I'm not going to deny it. But in a fantasy/action packed anime together with animation and sound it counts for the most of it. It's less about the story and more about the WOW factor in these type of animes.

A decent initial world building, intense actions scenes through animation/BGM and "WOW" factor is enough for a 10.

The rest of the parts about character development... really? Which characters have even changed AT ALL for the course of the show? Even so, they get degraded into Kirito's generic harem anyways, what they did to Sinon was horrid. Sorry mate, have you played an RPG game? The SAO game has pretty poor elaboration on it and is pretty bad.

Even having people I know well that I have similar tastes to, I tear into the anime and rip it apart. They often do the same with my recommendations. Only slightly more than half the shows we recommend to each other we agree on.
BurningSpiritJan 20, 2017 6:05 AM

My MAL Interview
Jan 20, 2017 6:05 AM

Jul 2015
@Angelquasilike Nope. I agree that it will tend toward the average simply because of the number of available anime, but it's not an absolute rule. It's just that the huge sample size makes it tend toward the average. If that site was called MyImaishiList, my mean score would probably be 8.5 with a full list. Because quality isn't relative and even the worst Imaishi show is good in my opinion.
Jan 20, 2017 6:31 AM

Jan 2015
@BurningSpirit Your average is well above average too so your recommended are definitely above average as well.
It's just that you aren't considering that if you watched all the animes and rated them it should end following a gaussian curve. If you watched all the anime and distributed your scores you'd need to bump most of the things you watched to match the curve or don't you think so?
Jan 20, 2017 6:37 AM

Apr 2015
I Don't Think That Age Has Anything To Do With Anime Ratings IMO But Well Everything Goes :)
Jan 20, 2017 6:39 AM

Jan 2015
Clebardman said:
@Angelquasilike Nope. I agree that it will tend toward the average simply because of the number of available anime, but it's not an absolute rule. It's just that the huge sample size makes it tend toward the average. If that site was called MyImaishiList, my mean score would probably be 8.5 with a full list. Because quality isn't relative and even the worst Imaishi show is good in my opinion.

Quality is not absolute or relative. The method of evaluating it is. But how can you even create an absolute individual rating system for anime? What would that even be? Number of laughs? Number of wows?
You have absolute rating systems here but it's not the 1-10. It's the number of members and number of favorites for example
Jan 20, 2017 6:42 AM

Jul 2015
@Angelquasilike Once again, because the ratings here aren't just numbers but have a meaning. If someone watches all anime and thinks they're all bad (or masterpieces), his mean score won't be 5.5 but 4 or 10.

Art can't be ranked from worst to top. You're treating anime as if it was a purely mathematical thing, it's not. Making an anime isn't the same as rolling a dice, and that's why expecting mean score to all tend toward 5.5 is ridiculous.
Jan 20, 2017 6:46 AM

Jan 2015
Clebardman said:
@Angelquasilike Once again, because the ratings here aren't just numbers but have a meaning. If someone watches all anime and thinks they're all bad (or masterpieces), his mean score won't be 5.5 but 4 or 10.

Art can't be ranked from worst to top. You're treating anime as if it was a purely mathematical thing, it's not. Making an anime isn't the same as rolling a dice, and that's why expecting mean score to all tend toward 5.5 is ridiculous.

You said yourself because the amount of entries is very high that it's very likely it approximates a normal distribution for most people. For you to find all animes bad you need to be comparing it with something better. Bad doesn't exist without good and vice-versa
Jan 20, 2017 6:54 AM
Jan 2017
In my opinion, after a person watch many anime, he/she want to watch something new, particular, innovative, but remaining in their favourite genre. Until now, this isn't my currently situation, because i'm quite newbie; but I think this is a huge pro, because allow me to focus on basic elements, such as entertainment, story, graphic, enjoyment and so on. As you can see, my average rate is really high for the standards I see on this site, probsbly because when I watch something, I don't know anything about it, with the exception of genre, title and the beginnin of the story. In the end is all about tastes and different ways to rate anime, and different tastes inspire me to have a comparision with one or more person.
Jan 20, 2017 7:16 AM

Feb 2012
A lot of these people also have a lot of meaningless votes. Such as rating something like 100 music videos with a low score, even if they're "good" so to speak, because reasons. Or separate entry episodes, even if they're one of the best in the series, because reasons. Which would seem to make sense in some kind of database perspective, but is not necessarily useful, or even truthful, for actual people.
Jan 20, 2017 8:04 AM

Oct 2012
It's not uncommon for a person's taste to become more particular the more they are exposed to something.

Jan 20, 2017 8:14 AM

Nov 2016
I don't understand it either. The ratings I have given range from 6-10 and yet among those, some get 5 and below. I also don't understand how others say an anime is terrible when it's actually atlease 'okay'. Anyways, the major factor on how I decide if an anime is good or not (Aside from usual focus of criticism) is it's appeal to my emotions - if I were to get emotionally attached or not (characters and stories play this part).

But there isn't an exact, single explanation to it. After all, everything is subjective (even objective cases have the slightest subjectivity in them).
Jan 20, 2017 8:33 AM

Feb 2015
theres a ton of terrible anime so the more you watch the more terrible anime youve seen i guess.
no_face4Jan 20, 2017 8:38 AM
Jan 20, 2017 10:40 AM

Apr 2012
The issue isn't "being critical", it's being wrong.
You can criticize something that really happens and exemplify it, but if you're going to make shit up, you're better off keeping it to yourself.
Or if you're ignorant of a subject, educate yourself or get some more experience.

The way I would do reviews or criticize something that relies on someone else's feelings to validate is by simply not adding my feelings into the mix.
Instead of "It's red, it sucks." or "It's red, it's good.", you can simply say "It's red.". Or if you're going to add them, detach them from what the viewer truly cares about, that is, what exactly the show/book/etc is about.

There are quite a lot of people that don't understand social relationships for example and would criticize shows for it when it's them themselves lacking in that department and that not all characters or even real human beings work the same way, react the same way, etc to different stimuli.
There are quite a lot of people that don't understand that something must not adhere to strict guidelines, you have to understand what exactly the author is trying to portray in a certain situation before you criticize it, if it didn't go the way you wanted it to go, that doesn't matter to anyone reading your review. Was it actually meant to be red and you're not ok with it? Tough luck.
To add to that, if in-universe something is deemed in a certain way and it's explained to you properly, criticizing the show/book/etc for it is plain asinine. E.g. "Red isn't realistic.", but you were clearly explained previously that the universe you're reading about, "red" is actually a color that is present and it's pretty common.

There's a lot more shit to uncover about how people can't criticize anything for shit, but they're smaller in comparison. E.g. people drop something or watch/read only a season and then claim that "The show/book/etc didn't answer anything.", "X is a plot hole, it was not explained in the first season.", which is like blaming a car for not reaching 200 km/h when advertised that way because you never actually accelerated to that speed.
Or blaming plot armor for certain situations in which it's explained that "luck" made it possible. If something is highly improbable but possible, it can happen.

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Jan 20, 2017 11:08 AM

Dec 2012
You would have to ask the people individually how their scoring system works. The generalizations have little or no basis in reality. For example, many people who see my list assume my scores are inflated and that I use 7 as an average. In reality, my scale is based off a 5 = average scoring system.

I'll at least say that there are really people who watch anime they dislike/don't enjoy on a regular basis. Don't fool yourself into thinking those people don't exist. I have known gaming addicts who toil away at games they despise because it gives them a sense of purpose and accomplishment. It's some real psycho stuff.
Jan 20, 2017 11:20 AM

Apr 2011
Short answer - it's fun to bash/criticize popular anime to rustle the jimmies of others.
Jan 20, 2017 1:01 PM

Jan 2014
When I had like less than 30 completed anime I would generally give everything an 8 or higher because I liked everything I saw, but then after a while I realized how flawed that was. Now, most of my ratings are 5's and 6's with very few 9's and 10's. So yeah, it just depends on you. You can keep giving every anime you see a high score, but then that doesn't really reflect on the show.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Jan 20, 2017 3:27 PM

Jun 2013

To me it usually seemed faster to just quote and delete (i'm also not really inclined to read and rewrite pseudo.)

Anyway sure thing is that it is absurdly edgy because absurdly excessive, in anything it does it is excessive grotesque and by the way it is portraying his stuff it is essentially a parody of corruption and absurdity but still it isn't that comic, when that girl was trashed and decapitated i had a slight 'lol' but it was still pretty harsh.
There is light hearted then edgy phase, from a narrative pov it isn't serious to do that, but the shock can be somewhat effective if just by being a so sudden event.

After that who knows why it is overdoing it, perhaps it is 4style, to elicit hate and ressent in you or because extreme corruption directly implies edge.

It might depends on how you're able to understand and accept how a show plays it, AgK is edgy corruption so it's edgy ok, i mostly didn't have a bad time watching it although i'd have been perfectly fine not watching it.

In brief the setting is so absurd that noone would passively buy it, but it is still seriously playing it, nothing wrong with that, fantasy can be written about anything, i'd say that being excessive naturally escuses a lot of the cheap stuff eg sudden change of tone. Likewise i don't have a problem with gintama, ttgl or sora no otoshimono, interestingly enough i have some about rezero though. Sometimes it's good to acknowledge the mix of seriousbusiness and wtf comedy whilst being able to care, this depends on how you're able to handle this kind of duality, i'd say that rezero is the only one failling for me.
Ah btw you mentioned Drifters, it is absurdly edgy too right? i cannot even acknowledge a show for anything else that just this when the MC's expression itself is already that edgy.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

» is ur fave genre ur most watched genre ?

ame - Apr 23

26 by BatoKusanagi »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » How much do you consume from the otaku world?

castle2001 - Apr 22

33 by Maou_heika »»
3 minutes ago

» What's the worst anime year? ( 1 2 3 )

Hira1 - Nov 26, 2020

112 by Serafos »»
8 minutes ago

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - 7 hours ago

17 by juanlqr »»
9 minutes ago

» Do you watch anything else besides anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 21

86 by Toooooooooohru »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.