Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jan 16, 2017 8:19 AM

Feb 2014
Advice: Spoilers of the first half of the anime, for those who didn't watch it

Am i'm the only who found it odd the way Rem and Ram were presented? At the first episodes we saw them, it was given the impression they were the same character and didn't have much of a personality. At leat when i watched, they didn't look much more important than Beatrice, they looked more like just NPC's Subaru would interact with within the mansion.

Yet, when i saw that i tought to myself "Wait... he cared about them?"

One of the things that made it more difficult was that their design looked, i don't know... generic? I don't know, in the fight scenes or important scenes like in episode 18, Rem's design seemed to change and give her personality... Or maybe that's just me, and i would've taken her seriously if she and her sister were more different design-wise.

Anyway, straight to the point, am i the only who was surprised when discovered that Rem was going to be a important character because of her presentation?
Jan 16, 2017 10:58 AM

Jul 2016
thewiru said:
Advice: Spoilers of the first half of the anime, for those who didn't watch it

Am i'm the only who found it odd the way Rem and Ram were presented? At the first episodes we saw them, it was given the impression they were the same character and didn't have much of a personality. At leat when i watched, they didn't look much more important than Beatrice, they looked more like just NPC's Subaru would interact with within the mansion.

Yet, when i saw that i tought to myself "Wait... he cared about them?"

One of the things that made it more difficult was that their design looked, i don't know... generic? I don't know, in the fight scenes or important scenes like in episode 18, Rem's design seemed to change and give her personality... Or maybe that's just me, and i would've taken her seriously if she and her sister were more different design-wise.

Anyway, straight to the point, am i the only who was surprised when discovered that Rem was going to be a important character because of her presentation?

Well, having Rem and Ram be identical and 'generic' is THE point. The author is great at misleading the reader/watcher to assume the newly introduced as some stereotypical cookie-cutter (Rem, Ram are just some comedy-induced maids that rarely contribute to the progression of the plot), then get surprised how important they are to the story (like how Rem is to Arc 3 and Ram is to post-Arc 3).

p.s. about Subaru cared about Rem/Ram per-episode 8, is that he knows longer than they know him due to his Return by Death and the fact that the sisters give him the interaction that the shut-in Subaru yearn for so long and he enjoyed it.
Jan 16, 2017 11:23 AM

Feb 2014
NitroKageAki said:

Well, having Rem and Ram be identical and 'generic' is THE point. The author is great at misleading the reader/watcher to assume the newly introduced as some stereotypical cookie-cutter (Rem, Ram are just some comedy-induced maids that rarely contribute to the progression of the plot), then get surprised how important they are to the story (like how Rem is to Arc 3 and Ram is to post-Arc 3).

p.s. about Subaru cared about Rem/Ram per-episode 8, is that he knows longer than they know him due to his Return by Death and the fact that the sisters give him the interaction that the shut-in Subaru yearn for so long and he enjoyed it.

Uhm, you kinda convinced me a little, but i still have my grains of salt.

I have to admit that you have a good point on the "proposital misleading"(Re:Zero's Author and KonoSuba's are personal friends, and while one one went to make a parody of Isekai, the other went to make a grimdark version of it.), and i'm surprised that i didn't think about it.

But for episode 8, i'm still kinda skeptical, i don't doubt that in 3-4 weeks you may get to know someone enough that you start caring about this person, yet, i think the anime failed a little bit to make us feel the same thing Subaru was feeling about them/make us care about them (And i don't blame it for skipping one entire week of things we already saw.).

...Or maybe the anime didn't fail, and it made it all right so that we could care about them, and then i was only thinking that because i was watching with the bias that Rem and Ram weren't supposed to be important since the start, and that bias made me not notice the message.

Now i'm in trouble, i guess i will have to rewatch the mansion episodes.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2016

1722 by Grazzerz »»
Apr 21, 10:54 PM

» Isn't it more realistic for Emilia to fall in love with Reinhard than Subaru? ( 1 2 )

Sanjay63773 - Apr 4

69 by Altofanime »»
Apr 20, 3:11 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 8, 2016

527 by XionnaMing »»
Apr 19, 10:26 AM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 1, 2016

631 by XionnaMing »»
Apr 19, 3:27 AM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2016

715 by XionnaMing »»
Apr 18, 1:39 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.