Forum Settings
Forums

Regarding Cycomics' status as publisher

New
Jan 15, 2017 8:29 PM
Oct 2009
I've recently sent a submission for Murenase! Shiiton Gakuen to be added to the Manga DB, which was denied for being an "unpublished webcomic" or "cycomi webcomic." Looking through the Recent Entry Merges/Removals/Denials thread, it seems that this has happened many times before, so I'd like to address the reason for its recurrent denials, which to me seem to be a misunderstanding.

According to the Database Guidelines, Section I, Article 1-e, digital media is to be accepted "if electronically distributed by a company known for publishing digital manga (ex. GanGan Online)." Cycomics is the publishing branch of Cygames, which digitally distributes its published manga through its website and mobile app in a manner not that different to the aforementioned GanGan company (which is itself the publishing branch of Square-Enix).

On these grounds, I think it would be fair for Cycomics to be recognized as a digital publisher and for its associated manga to be accepted into the Manga DB.
Jan 19, 2017 5:02 PM

Oct 2013
Webcomics from GanGan Online are physically printed, whereas webcomics from Cycomics are not = unpublished webcomic.
Jan 19, 2017 5:51 PM
Oct 2009
If that's the reason, I think it's silly to say that "publishing" is merely printing physical copies. I feel like the rule exists to distinguish random webcomics from proper serialized mangas, and Cycomics does everything other publishers do except printing: they have appointed editors, scheduled serialization and all that. To discriminate against Cycomics just because they don't print what they publish feels unfair; it's like saying a game publisher like, say, Carpe Fulgur (Recettear, Fortune Summoners) isn't a proper publisher because it doesn't sell physical copies of their games.

And if we're taking physical copies into account, there are plenty of ONAs, music videos and whatnot that were never distributed physically but are accepted on MAL's database.
Jan 21, 2017 12:12 AM

Mar 2015
mods doesn't discriminating anything... that's just how the mods works and the rule mads to make mods work easier..

for example lezhin and naver have some series printed, and tons series unpirnting too... twi4 doesn't even make official online publishing (i mean in their page, no scheduled serieliztion simply gathering and author update their 4-koma daily, that's it) and even pixiv (thou their webcomic pixif that got printed handled over ichijinsha IIRC)...

now for ONA, i think the main determination does people and company behind them... i mean, you can see lot of manga author making their unpiblised personal works, but rarely anime makers... and that's what need to be lined... (thou how some experimental one man made short anime still allowed still beyond me)...

i heard that cygame want to printing their manga thou.... but i got that rumour from facebook page somewhere so i am myself don't really trust it....
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Manga DB - Post Genre/Theme Requests Here ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Mar 28, 2022

131 by nerfsunny »»
2 hours ago

Sticky: » Manga DB - Post Modifications/Duplicates Here ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Aarana - Jan 4, 2009

7686 by Barbaduk »»
Apr 23, 11:45 PM

» Surprising Manga Still Needs Approval

Uutama - Apr 19

0 by Uutama »»
Apr 19, 1:01 AM

» TO THE ADMINISTRATORS OF MAL! BIBLIOMANIA!

carhs14 - Aug 12, 2023

11 by jere344 »»
Apr 18, 7:52 PM

» Pending approval items

Marrzo - Apr 17

0 by Marrzo »»
Apr 17, 12:20 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.