3It was OK
11.4%
2Disliked it
2.6%
1Hated it
0.6%
Average 4.4
351 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 14, 2017 6:00 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well, this pretty much concludes the Black River parts from where it picked up. I love how how Momo and the others are supporting Rei.

With the emphasis on Gotou's character recently, I actually find him to be rather complex. I think in general, anyone who likes shogi and colorful language will find this episode quite entertaining. Smith is also such an underrated character. (that jazz music fits his characters well. Should be his official theme or something) Still getting used to the new theme songs.

Stark700Jan 14, 2017 6:16 AM
Jan 14, 2017 9:46 AM

Jan 2012
5UG1N0 said:
That scene is a parody of 70's Japanese TV Drama, Kizudarake no tenshi ( ̄▽ ̄)

I was wondering why they wasted what felt like at least a full minute on that incredibly random scene. Especially after wasting the first 2 minutes on a recap. Maybe they coulda used that extra time to finish Rei's match. Most of this one was boring, felt like a setup for the inevitable Rei vs Gotou match. That end surprised me though...maybe their match isn't so inevitable afterall. Could Rei actually lose here? To Nikaidou's...brother?
Jan 14, 2017 9:50 AM

Apr 2014
finally the best character has arrived. *.*
you can also see him in the new op, the person with the red eyes who appears after gotou (blue eyes)
hyped for next week
"Even villains have standards"
-Accelerator-

Jan 14, 2017 9:52 AM

Jul 2014
Boring episode. First couple of minutes wasted on recap plus another minute or two wasted on a pitiful parody, plus almost half the episode focused on Smith, who I do not care about in the slightest. Also, an episode with virtually no character development for Rei is also exceptionally boring, as this has well and truly proven.
Jan 14, 2017 9:57 AM

Dec 2014
Pretty good episode.

I thought the whole sequence in the beginning with Smith getting ready was pretty cool especially with the Jazz music and stuff. I like his character as well.
The match between him and Gotou was pretty nice to watch, sad that he lost.

Rei vs Shimada was pretty interesting, I guess Rei was focused way too much on battling Gotou that he never really looked at the opponent before him. Shimada does exclaim that he finally looked at him after all.
Nikaidou wants his bro to beat Rei badly. xD

Match should get really good next week.
Jan 14, 2017 10:09 AM

Apr 2014
One of the best episodes holy

Ppl who just want Rei drama and thinks that progresses the anime further has no idea what this anime is truly about.
moodieJan 14, 2017 11:24 AM
Jan 14, 2017 11:24 AM

Nov 2008
Just to put it out there for those that are a bit confused, Nikaidou calls Shimada "brother" in a figurative sense, not a literal one.
Jan 14, 2017 11:37 AM

Sep 2014
2 recaps and one badly animated filler sequence. Goddamit Shaft, already having production issues?
Jan 14, 2017 11:44 AM

May 2015
Smith eating breakfast was the best scene of the year. Absolutely nothing is going to come out this year that's going to top that.

I like Smith. He's voiced by Sakata Joestar, the police officer. He's a cunt but he's good at voice acting so Smith is not a cunt. He is a man, a man with a kitten and delicious tomatoes.

Gotou has really intrigued me now though. Last episode it seemed like he was just going to be an antagonist to Rei and be a character nobody can like, but how the fuck do I dislike a man when they exude manliness like that? Does Gotou actually have mental problems like Kyouko said?

that being said though, this episode was on the weaker side, possible the weakest of the series so far. There was unnecessary recaps thrown in there and despite how ovary-shattering Smith's breakfast scene was, it really was poorly animated. I have no idea if Shaft's having production issues or that they were trying to pad out this episode.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Jan 14, 2017 12:04 PM

Feb 2014
With the widescreen opening scene, the elaborate tracking shot of just Smith eating his breakfast, and the Jazz background music, made this episode even more French new wave-y than SHAFT's standard fare.
Jan 14, 2017 12:38 PM

Apr 2016
Not necessarily production's problem. Inspiration maybe? The issue might be that the 2 chapters they adapted are mostly 2 shogi games and they didn't want 20 minutes of shogi so they tried to fill, since they probably can't change their pace if they want to finish at one determined chapter of the manga.
I think they should have tried to fill with something better, create some original scenes out of the manga or make it longer with the cat, the breakfast, the training, ... but it's easier said than done.
Jan 14, 2017 1:18 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
That opening scene after the recap was odd to say the least.

Very nice second half though. That's actually Nikaidou's brother, wuuttt? That's surprising to me.
Jan 14, 2017 1:19 PM

Nov 2013
lol after watching most of monogatari in the last month, hearing kaiku's voice was cool
fav "new" girls from winter <3 (2 extra girls this time, but 36 seasonals so whatever) ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Jan 14, 2017 2:06 PM

Nov 2015
lovely episode. They all support Rei.

Jan 14, 2017 2:09 PM

Dec 2012
Interesting BGM when Smith was waking up & eating breakfast.

Ohh too bad he couldn't beat Gotou. Well he's got a cat now.

Rei taking on Shimada. Lets see how this goes.

Cool End Card.
Santoryu_XBurnerJan 14, 2017 2:15 PM
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Jan 14, 2017 2:20 PM

Jun 2015
The opening scene was mesmerizing. Having more focus on Smith was nice. I didn't mind it. Pretty sad he lost against Gotou. He's gotten a kitten now. The match with Rei against Shimada was very good. He lost his train of thought. The continuation of this match is going to be good.
Jan 14, 2017 2:57 PM

Jul 2013
I actually liked Smith's breakfast scene. It has some indescribable charm that made me liked it a lot. I also liked that the first half of the episode focused of him, it was fresh, plus that kitty was cute.
Surprised to see Gotou told him his mistakes during the match to make him avoid them again. It seems he is not a complete asshole after all.

Rei is confronting a very difficult opponent now (and Nikaido's teacher, to make things more "interesting"). Glad to hear based Shinichiro Miki in this anime (and he also uses his Kaiki voice, good, good).
Excited for the outcome of the match.
Jan 14, 2017 4:07 PM

Feb 2016
+1 to Smith's breakfast scene

Nice episode, but there were better ones in the series already.

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Jan 14, 2017 5:08 PM

May 2015
One of the weaker episodes in my opinion. The breakfast scene was kinda odd, but I liked it, lol.

Jan 14, 2017 5:41 PM

May 2015
MVP of that episode. The cat for sure. :D
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jan 14, 2017 7:49 PM

Jun 2013
So Smith loses to Gotou. Smith didn't stay true to his style and hesitated which led to his defeat. Rei is against the mysterious 9th Dan and doesn't know what's going on. This guy is Bodoro's brother (not sure if related by blood or not) and Bodoro told him to knock some sense into Rei. The guy is playing in a weird way and Rei is unsure how to counter him. He goes from aggressive to defensive without knowing it. He's in a pinch now and he has to win in order to give Gotou a piece of his mind. This was quite the shogi focused episode.
Jan 14, 2017 8:14 PM

Sep 2014
Breakfast scene was weird to say the least.

I liked Gotou from what I've seen from him this episode, and I had originally thought he was just going to be a jerk. I guess Rei fell into his opponents rhythm and didn't realize it soon enough.

Smith is a fun character.

Good episode overall, although the actual playing of shogi goes over my head if they are not commentating about it.
Jan 14, 2017 8:30 PM

Oct 2013
Man, the lessons you learn from these episodes. Gotou is such another interesting character. As we can see this episode, he didn't seem like a complete jerk. I think that this episode showed a lot more to Gotou than we thought from seeing through Rei's eyes. Well, we still have yet to figure out what exactly happened that day to Rei. I'm assuming if Rei does win, we'll find out the during the final.
Jan 14, 2017 11:04 PM

Jul 2016
Yamada2 said:
So Smith loses to Gotou. Smith didn't stay true to his style and hesitated which led to his defeat. Rei is against the mysterious 9th Dan and doesn't know what's going on. This guy is Bodoro's brother (not sure if related by blood or not) and Bodoro told him to knock some sense into Rei. The guy is playing in a weird way and Rei is unsure how to counter him. He goes from aggressive to defensive without knowing it. He's in a pinch now and he has to win in order to give Gotou a piece of his mind. This was quite the shogi focused episode.
Indeed, I think Nikaidou knows that Rei is losing sight of his goal, he's too much focus to win so just he will end up with a match with Gotou, made him asked for a favor to his brother. That kinda explained what Nikaidou's brother mean when he said to Rei "you finally look this way".
Jan 14, 2017 11:16 PM

Sep 2015
That breakfast scene tho was interesting
Jan 14, 2017 11:58 PM
Jan 2014
It's about time someone showed Kiriyama his place. As Smith said the kid is getting arrogant.

Next ep will be good ^^..

It all ends when the higurashi cry.

Jan 15, 2017 1:36 AM

Sep 2015
Another great episode. The new OP and ED have grown on me even more, especially the ED. Both of the shogi matches felt especially riveting in this episode. It was also cool to see them pull of telling a story from the point of view of a side character. I don't even particularly hate Gotou, but I'm looking forward to seeing him and Rei's match. If Rei can beat Nikaidou's (actual?) brother. Which you know speaking of Nikaidou, it seemed like it had been awhile since he showed up. Can't wait for next week that was a fun little cliffhanger.
Jan 15, 2017 1:49 AM

Jan 2013
I really liked this episode. Even not understanding the rules for Shogi, the matches are still interesting. I appreciated the opening animation
Jan 15, 2017 2:54 AM

Jun 2013
5UG1N0 said:
That scene is a parody of 70's Japanese TV Drama, Kizudarake no tenshi ( ̄▽ ̄)

that was so random lol
Jan 15, 2017 7:15 AM

Feb 2015
Sort of a bridge between establishing the arc and the battle between Gotou and Kiriyama, I think. The way it started with a scene from the previous episode through me off a little. I had to really make sure that I was watching the right episode. But anyway, Momo-as-an-adult-male-voiced-by-Tomokazu-Sugita had his match against Gotou and inevitably failed, and then Kiriyama had his battle against... Nikaidou's "big brother"? Didn't really get that part: it was building up to be this match against Gotou and then this guy shows up and, for whatever reason, starts to take the upper hand. Nikaidou also was wanting him to beat Kiriyama (I guess in a friendly rivalry way). But anyway, once we get this match out of the way, we can see the Kiriyama vs Gotou match that matters.

In summary, this was a very 'shogi' episode and not a lot happened other than shogi. It was a shame not to see any new parts with the sisters, but it still gets an enjoyable 4/5.
Jan 15, 2017 10:24 AM

Mar 2013
It was boring episode for most of the part.

The breakfast sequence tho XD
Jan 15, 2017 11:50 AM

Feb 2014
The two-minute recap at the start was a little odd if I have to be honest. Apart from that, it was still a good episode.

Smith's breakfast routine was amusing to say and I never would've guessed that it was a reference to an old Japanese TV drama show 40 years ago.

Sadly for Smith, his tactics was pretty much exposed by Gotou, whose advice to him was surprising, but does make sense. Afterwards, he encountered an abandoned kitten and he thankfully took the little bundle of joy home with him. =3

For Rei, he too is having trouble in his match. He made a move that surprised even himself and now he's in a pinch. One wrong move and his chance to battle Gotou will go up in smoke.

Hopefully he'll get his act together and win next week. =)
Jan 15, 2017 12:52 PM

Aug 2015

High quality cabbage this episode. That eating routine had some wonky animation but it was certainly interesting.
Jan 15, 2017 2:34 PM

Jul 2009
Too much recap in this episode, and the animation in the eating sequence was a bit odd o_O Is Smith eating a tomato with salt for breakfast?! XD Anyway it was interesting to see how he approached his match with Gotou, but it seems like he had a crushing defeat. Guess they both know he still has some work to do :P Really liked the second half though, especially when Rei realized he had suddenly switched to defending. Dang! I would be pretty surprised if he lost this match though :P So his opponent is Nikaidou's brother? I wonder if they're related or if they just have the same shogi teacher. Either way I think the next episode should be really interesting for the conclusion of the match :D
Jan 15, 2017 2:40 PM
Apr 2014
damn... I think not knowing what is going on on the board is really taking away from the tension during the matches >.> But I'm too lazy to look up the pieces and it's rules. They are a bit different from our chess after all.

also... fuck my timing. Should have waited another week to catch up to current ep considering this cliffhanger -.-
Jan 15, 2017 7:12 PM
Apr 2016
It was good, I guess. I think that these 2 recaps were unnecessary, but tension-building is still good enough and I liked character development in this episode (Rey's sharp gaze, Gotou's advices and Smith's honest thoughts about him being weaker than other shogi players). But I also wanted to see more shogi or Rey's interactions with three sisters tbh, because I'm not sure yet whether adding new characters and focus on them is a really good idea right now.
alex711Jan 15, 2017 9:03 PM
Jan 15, 2017 9:32 PM

Sep 2013
I quite like Smith. Bit of an odd episode but I guess Shaft wanted to avoid having too much shogi in one episode.
Jan 16, 2017 9:54 AM

Mar 2008
An episode focused on a side character I don't really care about and a wasted minute of screen time watching him eat his breakfast, are you joking?!
My Channel Anime Reviews, Unboxings and More
Drak Shadow For LetsPlays and Movie Vlogs
Jan 16, 2017 10:47 AM

Sep 2015
Bit of recap in this one, didn't really like it. The breakfast eating scene was funny.
Jan 16, 2017 5:56 PM

Oct 2012
Kaiki can't loose, right? But of course he will :)

Anyway, aside from great VA of both men (Tatsuyuki is voiced by Sugita Tomokazu) and omitting really shaftistic animation of breakfeast, not very substantial episode.

And I really don't know what to make of their constant habit of splitting arc in half (not to mention 2:30 long recap in the beginning was totally unnecessary - well, but after few years of relatively smooth delivery Shaft has problem with their timetable again - so it's only to be expected they are taking shortcuts where possible).
Jan 17, 2017 7:40 AM

Dec 2014
well that was something...Gotou is much unlikable...rei will surely win and match with Gotou...is what i think
Jan 17, 2017 7:45 PM

Nov 2007
so it was a parody huh...and here i thought with the breakfast scene and all the flashbacks that they are behind schedule...........

cats is the only right course,always
Jan 19, 2017 2:12 AM

Apr 2016
An intriguing episode. The breakfast scene was funny, we get to know more about Smith in the first half. I really enjoyed both Shogi match, Gouto is seach a beast (both in shogi and his appearance haha), but he's also calm and mature. Rei's match didn't go well as he expected, i like the way they drew the background and the effect was awesome, plus the character's inner thought is a win for this episode.
Jan 19, 2017 8:55 PM

Jul 2014
It's nice to follow the perspective of another character.
Jan 23, 2017 5:38 AM

Jul 2008
Uh oh, I think Kiriyama is in trouble.
Jan 23, 2017 5:33 PM

Oct 2008
If Shimada is hard to beat...what more if Gotou!?
Damn!! Kiriyama must step-up his game, and not only that, he must be resistant to provocations and other disturbances that would make him loose his pace on Shogi domination!
4/5.

Feb 8, 2017 7:30 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Lol Akari's reaction when Rei gave all those fish to her though
But that much fish can be used for a long time though so hardly a surprise

Momo is so cure and adorable though
Lol the funny music that played when smith appeared
We all prepare for the matches differently eh

Thats a lot of veg that he's eating there lol
Hmm it makes sense that Rei would be looking at past records of his future opponents though.

But lol ignoring Smith completely
thats cold to your friend lol
Its nice that we get to see things from Smiths perspective though
Love the theme that played during Smiths match with Gatou though

Hearing Smiths thoughts as the match goes on is also pretty good
Even the largest beast would fall if they keep getting struck by numerous cuts
Smiths tactic is certainly viable against someone that relies on a heavy defense

Man thats some heavy rain there
Though it seems that the tactic is having only limited effect here
Too bad that Smith lost though but Gatou used completely different tactics which nullified Smiths own as well.

Lol Smith wondering about Gatou's attitude
using a crushed can as a coin to decide on your course of action for the night eh
Quite the method lol

Lol to think that Smith would find a kitten in the bushes
lol that kitten was cute
course c is to adopt the kitten eh

Hmm looks like Shimada will be a tough foe as he has no obvious play style or tactics and weaknesses
Hmm so Shimada is the type of person that plays not to lose eh
Meaning that he's one that plays carefully and uses slow deliberate movements eh

Shimada would have used the same moves that Rei uses so it will be a drawn out battle indeed
And it looks like Rei's in trouble with his deployments

So Shimada was Bartello's brother then eh

Hmm a pretty interesting episode
The first half of the episode focused on Smith which is nice as he's a pretty interesting character and his view on Shogi is different to Rei's. His match against Gatou was pretty close and it was nice to hear his thoughts of the match as he made his moves. Rei's match against Shimada went well but it looks like he's in trouble as he went from attacking to defending.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 9, 2017 12:23 AM

Jul 2011
Smith comes in like a lion
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 10, 2017 4:55 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
great episode, with a nice final, although the ends of the match in the next episode!!!!
Feb 27, 2017 9:08 PM

Apr 2009
Woah, this episode was pretty good, but I feel like the show will be back to exposition center the next episode.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 7, 2017

149 by little_raven »»
Apr 9, 7:55 PM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 24, 2016

90 by little_raven »»
Apr 8, 8:54 PM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

moodie - Nov 19, 2016

111 by little_raven »»
Mar 26, 11:11 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 4, 2017

104 by blinddig »»
Mar 13, 2:15 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 17, 2016

160 by TraeKun »»
Feb 18, 8:29 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.