Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 12, 2017 11:58 PM

Sep 2014
I know this is a spin-off series of the original index series. So can you watch this and understand what's going on without watching the original series first?
Jan 15, 2017 10:16 AM

Oct 2015
CFKazu said:
I know this is a spin-off series of the original index series. So can you watch this and understand what's going on without watching the original series first?

i think you cant as you wont get the concept without watching original anime
Jan 16, 2017 10:44 PM

Oct 2016
Katrix_ said:
CFKazu said:

You can totally watch this without watching index. This spin of is boring as shit and pales in comparison to the original series (index) I am still on episode 20 on this and cant bare to push myself through. I still have to finish the second season then I can move on to my reward (Index 2). god is this awful. It is ruining misaka. Does this get better?
Jan 16, 2017 10:47 PM

Oct 2015
SeasonADay said:
Katrix_ said:

You can totally watch this without watching index. This spin of is boring as shit and pales in comparison to the original series (index) I am still on episode 20 on this and cant bare to push myself through. I still have to finish the second season then I can move on to my reward (Index 2). god is this awful. It is ruining misaka. Does this get better?

you have to watch this before season second of original series? i skipped it and after first season of index went for its next season
Jan 16, 2017 10:51 PM

Oct 2016
Katrix_ said:
SeasonADay said:

you have to watch this before season second of original series? i skipped it and after first season of index went for its next season

I'm on filler episodes and I am dying. Index is where the real action happens. I'm about to turn on crunchyroll and suffer some more. It is all for the purpose of index though and I love index so I can suffer through some railgun. I hope it gets better.
It goes exactly like this here:
Jan 16, 2017 10:59 PM

Oct 2015
SeasonADay said:
Katrix_ said:

I'm on filler episodes and I am dying. Index is where the real action happens. I'm about to turn on crunchyroll and suffer some more. It is all for the purpose of index though and I love index so I can suffer through some railgun. I hope it gets better.
It goes exactly like this here:

Thanks for warning i planned to watch railgun as my current anime is about to finish but now i wont :D
Jan 16, 2017 11:09 PM

Sep 2014
SeasonADay said:
Katrix_ said:

While i do think that the first season was only ok, the second season features the Sister arc from Misaka's perspective, and is in my humble opinion the best thing the Index/Railgun universe has to offer. My advice would be: finish the first season and get ready to be blown away by the awesomeness that is the Sister arc.
Jan 16, 2017 11:25 PM

Oct 2016
Hershel_Layton said:
SeasonADay said:

While i do think that the first season was only ok, the second season features the Sister arc from Misaka's perspective, and is in my humble opinion the best thing the Index/Railgun universe has to offer. My advice would be: finish the first season and get ready to be blown away by the awesomeness that is the Sister arc.
Unlike most people, I like the tsundere misaka from index and actually watched index twice and still loved it. I hate these new characters. I like Last order, touma, Index, and accelerator.
Jan 17, 2017 2:15 AM

Sep 2014
Hmm.. I might try out index after all. Thanks for the comments :).
Jan 17, 2017 2:56 AM

Aug 2012
CFKazu said:
I think you can watch it without index :/

I watched this first and enjoyed it a lot. Index just annoys me.

Jan 17, 2017 3:04 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
I think you *can* watch it but probably not recommended

Which is a shame because Railgun is sooooo much better than Index. Seriously replacing some of the most annoying characters ever made (Touma and Index) with Misaka is like heaven and hell in comparison
Jan 17, 2017 4:19 AM

Jul 2013
You can watch Railgun without watch Index, but is reccomendable to watch the first season of Index if you want to understand more of the setting and the future events of the series, especially if you want to watch Railgun S.
Jan 17, 2017 6:27 PM

Oct 2016
Illyricus said:
You can watch Railgun without watch Index, but is reccomendable to watch the first season of Index if you want to understand more of the setting and the future events of the series, especially if you want to watch Railgun S.
Last Order, Touma, Index, Accelerator, and Misaka (tsundere mode) are the best characters in the RailDex World.

EDIT: and some side chars
Jan 18, 2017 7:17 AM

Jul 2013
SeasonADay said:
Illyricus said:
Last Order, Touma, Index, Accelerator, and Misaka (tsundere mode) are the best characters in the RailDex World.

Without having read the novels or Railgun manga, I agree more or less.
Jan 18, 2017 1:45 PM

Oct 2016
Illyricus said:
SeasonADay said:

Without having read the novels or Railgun manga, I agree more or less.

Along with some kuudere clones
Jan 18, 2017 2:47 PM
Jan 2016
For future watchers: Yes, you can watch this series without watching the original! Be forewarned, there are small references and cameos from the main characters of the characters of the main series that you will miss. The original series focuses on magic and various clashes between magic groups, and this series focuses more on espers and science (and much more). You do not need to worry about understanding of this show overall since the two shows focus on seemingly two different worlds within the same universe (RailDex). In short, if you want to watch this first, you'll understand it regardless of whether you watch the main series or not.

Let me also add my simple analysis of the Index vs. Railgun situation. To put it bluntly, if you're looking for fast pacing and action, you will not enjoy Railgun. I myself can take a slower paced anime and have my preference to good characters, underlying themes, and good cinematography. As such, I found the Index anime rather uninteresting. Index is about flashy magic fights and wars between churches, whereas Railgun follows main characters through situations that help them develop themselves, and brings to light some of the darkness of humanity. People who are on the hunt for fast pacing and action will prefer Index. People who like good characters and development, and elements of drama will like Railgun.

My plea to you, my reader, is do not let Index people push you away from Railgun if you fit my description of a person who would like Railgun. You will find good laughs and fun in the filler, and moving situations and character development in the actual arcs if you think like me (i.e. as I described a Railgun person) and give it a try. I know I don't speak for all Railgun people, but I think I can at least pattern out most.

Thank you for reading this far, if you did. I hope this was helpful to you! If you do decide to watch Railgun, I hope you enjoy it! Have a good day!
ScrumpoJan 18, 2017 2:58 PM
Jan 18, 2017 2:50 PM

Feb 2015
I began with Railgun season 2, and I could still follow most of it. There were some references to previous seasons, but nothing that made it difficult to understand what was going on.

More topics from this board

» Do you like Kuroko’s horniness, or do you think it’s annoying?

SwagsOnB - Oct 2, 2023

31 by waalex11 »»
Mar 13, 5:11 PM

Poll: » Do you like Toaru Kagaku no Railgun?

SpinStudios - Oct 25, 2021

18 by waalex11 »»
Mar 13, 5:08 PM

Poll: » Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Proselyt - Jan 29, 2010

164 by TheAncientOne »»
Feb 25, 9:40 AM

» Why is there no CGDCT on this show?

Sagepool - Nov 30, 2023

14 by FZREMAKE »»
Dec 1, 2023 3:39 PM

Poll: » Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Mar 19, 2010

372 by WELLERM »»
Nov 29, 2023 4:55 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.