Forum Settings
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
Jan 12, 2017 4:59 PM

Jul 2015
Ever since they went into the basement and found out the truth about the outside world this manga has gone down hill really fast. There are so many things in this series that are made so much more confusing than they need to be. It makes me so pissed because I actually really used to enjoy reading this manga, and learning new things each chapter but everything is so fucking convoluted it makes it damn near impossible to understand what the fuck is going on. The origins of the titans didn't need to be some dumbass thing between 2 different races of people, and making a deal with the devil (Lmao like really?) and the actual process of turning into a titan shifter didn't need to be confusing either. Isayama (the author) laid out everything really well but just completely failed by making it a giant confusing cluster fuck with way too many small insignificant details. Everything is connected in a way that seems so forced. The royal family is also confusing as shit and how they play a roll in everything going on. So many things were just handled so poorly. I see tons of people on every manga site/youtube video I go to about the latest chapters confused out of their minds and completely lost. I'm personally just so confused that I don't really give a shit anymore. The series has just been handled very poorly as of late, and it's very hard to stay on track.
Are you feeling it now Mr. Krabs?
Jan 12, 2017 6:52 PM

Oct 2013
Wut for some reason the comments are gone, not going to write back all that, all I am going to say to op is that you need to re read the entire series or, start from chapter 51 to the current chapter.

"making a deal with the devil (Lmao like really?)"

nope not really, it is a bullshit made up story, which Kruger himself confirm in chapter 88, just last month, and you already forgot, or didn't even notice. So a reread would really help, I have a hunch that the problem isn't Isayama writing, but you.
Jan 14, 2017 9:29 AM

Mar 2013
I understand what you are trying to say OP, I do also feel that SNK is a bit boring now compared to before although I wouldn't call it poorly written.

I think it was because lately there is more talk than action and we got used to the thrill of seeing the characters fight against the titans and the long explanation can be confusung (I got confused as well) but I am just really bad at reading a long explanation in manga not just in SNK.
Although if I will try not too go too deep into it..for some reason I at least get an idea of what is happening and it wasn't that boring. Try to read some few chapters back maybe it will helped, I put this manga on hold and then when things are looking good (after seeing it on tumblr) I started reading it again and reading it all in one go is better than just one chapter a month.
*Yawn*
Not gonna argue again with a stupid troll.
Jan 14, 2017 10:11 AM

Jul 2015
Cuebee said:
I understand what you are trying to say OP, I do also feel that SNK is a bit boring now compared to before although I wouldn't call it poorly written.

I think it was because lately there is more talk than action and we got used to the thrill of seeing the characters fight against the titans and the long explanation can be confusung (I got confused as well) but I am just really bad at reading a long explanation in manga not just in SNK.
Although if I will try not too go too deep into it..for some reason I at least get an idea of what is happening and it wasn't that boring. Try to read some few chapters back maybe it will helped, I put this manga on hold and then when things are looking good (after seeing it on tumblr) I started reading it again and reading it all in one go is better than just one chapter a month.

Yeah, maybe you are right dude. However, I don't think it is boring because there is a lack of action. I really enjoyed the part of the story when they learned about the inner workings of the government and it was more about people vs. people than people vs. titans. I don't really mind if there is a lack of action as long as the story/characters keep me engaged. I just think the series has lost the initial spark that I liked so much.
Are you feeling it now Mr. Krabs?
Jan 14, 2017 2:55 PM
Jan 2017
I felt that the quality of the manga was declining anyways, but the reveal after they get into the basement just felt very silly and jumping the shark-y, like Isayama wasn't going for what would be a satisfying explanation but instead for just shock value.

After stringing us along for so many chapters and so many months, something like 'everything you knew about the world was lie' just pisses me off, that's not something you throw in after such a long series.
Jan 14, 2017 3:45 PM

Jan 2014
I gotta agree with you. Near the beginning it was enjoyable to read, I would say up to the point where we first started finding out who were titans. But lately it has been really a hot mess. The story is too crazy right now, where I don't feel myself invested at all. Now I just want to see what will happen at the end, or maybe if some new exciting development occurs, although at this point I'd say the story has already lost my interest.
Jan 14, 2017 5:45 PM

Oct 2013
eyesalad said:
I felt that the quality of the manga was declining anyways, but the reveal after they get into the basement just felt very silly and jumping the shark-y, like Isayama wasn't going for what would be a satisfying explanation but instead for just shock value.

After stringing us along for so many chapters and so many months, something like 'everything you knew about the world was lie' just pisses me off, that's not something you throw in after such a long series.

it was planned from the beginning, check out the title for the first episode. "to you 2000 years from now" and also re read chapter 1.

And it was so obvious there was a outside world, like Isayama gave us a lot of hints. Honestly, this is the type of story that you should wait until its concluded before you make a concrete conclusion. Isayama killing every character at the end would not change the plot line at all, at this current chapter we know that both Armin and Eren has limited time to live, and Isayama could still easily kill off every character, and in the latest interview he said he is still not sure how he will conclude the series. I bet it will be bitter sweet.

Anyways it is understandable, I knew some persons wont like this direction, just like how a lot of persons lost interest when the manga reach the uprising arc, meh I still love it, and I think this story is really interesting and well, made base on how well the author has put this together, I dont think persons understand how well put together this story is, maybe because you guys are not that invested in the series like me to re read it, or its just that you don't like these type of plot devices in story in general. Opinions I guess.

Anyways, its pretty obvious this is going to get worst for the persons that are not enjoying the series currently, because Isayama will go more in depth with these plot devices. Or you guys will just ignore these plot devices and enjoy the battles that will becoming in later chapters.
keragammingJan 14, 2017 5:51 PM
Jan 15, 2017 4:46 AM
Jan 2017
keragamming said:
eyesalad said:

it was planned from the beginning, check out the title for the first episode. "to you 2000 years from now" and also re read chapter 1.

And it was so obvious there was a outside world, like Isayama gave us a lot of hints. Honestly, this is the type of story that you should wait until its concluded before you make a concrete conclusion. Isayama killing every character at the end would not change the plot line at all, at this current chapter we know that both Armin and Eren has limited time to live, and Isayama could still easily kill off every character, and in the latest interview he said he is still not sure how he will conclude the series. I bet it will be bitter sweet.

Anyways it is understandable, I knew some persons wont like this direction, just like how a lot of persons lost interest when the manga reach the uprising arc, meh I still love it, and I think this story is really interesting and well, made base on how well the author has put this together, I dont think persons understand how well put together this story is, maybe because you guys are not that invested in the series like me to re read it, or its just that you don't like these type of plot devices in story in general. Opinions I guess.

Anyways, its pretty obvious this is going to get worst for the persons that are not enjoying the series currently, because Isayama will go more in depth with these plot devices. Or you guys will just ignore these plot devices and enjoy the battles that will becoming in later chapters.

I feel like a plot device like this works when it's either introduced more early on in the series, like, either in the beginning or around the mid part. Or if it has to be at the end, then it should be the main plot point that was being explored.
Also, about the 'to you from 2000 years' I assumed it meant the story was taking place in the future.
WyNdZ said:
I've seen this thread before and I even commented but my comment seems to have vanished.

Anyways I found the explanations to be pretty satisfactory although there's still a few things that need to be explained. If there's one thing I don't like it's that lack of character development of some characters, mainly Mikasa. I mean come on she's a main character.

Yeah, character development is a problem I have with the series as well. They're not explored nearly as much as they should or could be, especially the leads. The character development isn't nonexistent but it isn't exactly satisfactory either.
Jan 15, 2017 6:20 AM

Oct 2013
@eyesalad

But it was introuduced in the beginning of chapter 1 and episode 1. We the viewers just didn't pay too much attention to it. Plus there were more hints of it. During the ape titan fight when Zeke said that they are doing the same thing over and over again. It seems to be some type of repeated cycle.
Jan 15, 2017 6:28 AM

Jul 2013
I'm still enjoying it. I understand that some will be frustrated with the lack of main characters in recent chapters.
Not much plot progression atm. Just giving some backstory. Once it's over, it'll pick up again.
Jan 15, 2017 6:31 AM
Jan 2017
keragamming said:
@eyesalad

But it was introuduced in the beginning of chapter 1 and episode 1. We the viewers just didn't pay too much attention to it. Plus there were more hints of it. During the ape titan fight when Zeke said that they are doing the same thing over and over again. It seems to be some type of repeated cycle.

It may have been hinted at slightly, but that doesn't mean that the big reveal being so late into the manga's run is any less silly, especially considering that none of the characters seems to be very affected by this. There's also the fact that since there's other plotlines as well. If a show goes with a plotline like this, it should be the only one they explore as it's such a huge and important thing and other plotlines detract from it, not to mention, something like this would affect the characters deeply. But let's just agree to disagree :T
Jan 15, 2017 6:44 AM

Oct 2013
eyesalad said:
keragamming said:
@eyesalad

It may have been hinted at slightly, but that doesn't mean that the big reveal being so late into the manga's run is any less silly, especially considering that none of the characters seems to be very affected by this. There's also the fact that since there's other plotlines as well. If a show goes with a plotline like this, it should be the only one they explore as it's such a huge and important thing and other plotlines detract from it, not to mention, something like this would affect the characters deeply. But let's just agree to disagree :T

Well, this wouldn't make sense to reveal before, revealing how bloodline and coordinate works first. But fair enough, lets agree to disagree on this.
Jan 19, 2017 5:02 AM

Jan 2017
i actually believe these recent chapters are the best because things are began to unfold (backstories, coordinates, hints, etc), they are hidden things we didn't notice at first, i suggest you re-read the manga perhaps you would change your mind.
we just need Annie right now~
Jan 19, 2017 5:31 AM

Nov 2016
I actually enjoy what's going on, it's been made obvious that most of the plot/story had been planned since chapter 1 and its great to be able to connect the pieces. Also the backstory is/was necessary and it came at the right time in the story. It's pretty obvious that you don't like this arc but don't forgot it's an arc(a very important and necessary arc, but still an arc, you might maybe enjoy the next arc ). I imagine things are going to pick up after this, I personally love/loved this arc (-recent chapters) I had a feeling he would take the story in this direction. Also don't forgot that not everything is set in stone (yet), some of what we've learnt now could be wrong/disproved, an example being the true history/origin of the titans, we learn that the recorded history written by the Mayains is propaganda so we truly don't know the origin yet.
Don't give in/up yet just because an arc is not to your liking, if you don't understand what's going on or are confused just ask/start a discussion and others will be happy to fill you in (I'm looking at you @Cuebee )
Apr 13, 2017 2:34 PM

Mar 2013
This manga has gone downhill since the Uprising arc (which was an horrendeous arc).
Apr 13, 2017 8:42 PM
Aug 2016
Fine, it was all planned and foreshadowed and hinted at what Attack on titan now is. But one thing I have to say is the plot has just rushed along soooo fast. I mean for 80 chapters we were stuck on the Island. Then all of a sudden boom into basement then flashbacks of info dumpimp of totally un heard of characters or mentioned. Nor we should care about.

So not only with past flashbacks out of nowhere to tell us the plot, then you get 4 years of time skips in like 3 chapters and change to a new cast of characters.

Im not one complaining about confusing plot as I understand it fully but I feel as if the writing in general has dropped and just took a speed boost x10. It took 85 chapters to reach the basement for basically books and photos.Then 7 chapters of info dumping the big picture of the plot in what would of taken 20 chapters to have explained going by previous attack on titan arcs. Of course we dont know certain details such as the Titans curse with the devil and all that but the overall plot has basically been told.

I feel as if the lead up towards all this was just not executed well. The actual concept and the theme itself is interesting, Im not against change in a manga series or it expanding its scope and laws of what is possible in its own series but I am all about its execution being done well and I feel that, while the last 7 chapters have been interesting, they feel poorly executed.

To some it wont feel fast at all as each chapter is a months wait, so since the basement it has been 7 actual months.But re reading the series boy does it just rush past in terms of lore, but for some reason also feeling like a slog of a read.
Apr 13, 2017 9:02 PM

Jan 2009
confusing plot mix up with insignificant little details does not mean its dog shit already

but i totally understand that it gets too confusing right now

Apr 14, 2017 5:45 PM
Oct 2016
Can't believe they basically destroyed the manga past chapter 90
Apr 14, 2017 6:50 PM

Oct 2013
Delishhh said:
Ever since they went into the basement and found out the truth about the outside world this manga has gone down hill really fast. There are so many things in this series that are made so much more confusing than they need to be. It makes me so pissed because I actually really used to enjoy reading this manga, and learning new things each chapter but everything is so fucking convoluted it makes it damn near impossible to understand what the fuck is going on. The origins of the titans didn't need to be some dumbass thing between 2 different races of people, and making a deal with the devil (Lmao like really?) and the actual process of turning into a titan shifter didn't need to be confusing either. Isayama (the author) laid out everything really well but just completely failed by making it a giant confusing cluster fuck with way too many small insignificant details. Everything is connected in a way that seems so forced. The royal family is also confusing as shit and how they play a roll in everything going on. So many things were just handled so poorly. I see tons of people on every manga site/youtube video I go to about the latest chapters confused out of their minds and completely lost. I'm personally just so confused that I don't really give a shit anymore. The series has just been handled very poorly as of late, and it's very hard to stay on track.

No he did not lay out everything only the basic things. The type of story telling this series uses is non linear story telling, where the plot isn't straight forward and its basically broken and rearrange into different parts.

That is why if you don't pay attention it can be confusing, and even if you do pay attention some parts will still be confusing because a very important part is missing from that plot line. Basically this type of story telling is meant to confuse the readers, and only when a certain plot point is finish or the whole story overall is completed is when you can understand the entire story.

These type of series are more enjoyable when you re watch or reread the series, more specifically when its completed.

Just imagine if snk had a linear story telling, where in the beginning we would know that titans are humans, and that eren and co actually lives on a island, and we would also see the perspective of the other nations outside the walls and Reiner, Bertholdt and Annie story early on, basically the beginning of the series would explain all the elements in snk so we would know everything, the main goal for the series is to go to war with the Marley government instead of going to the basement.

Honestly, I believe why a lot of people are complaining about the changes is because they got use to what snk was, and had grown accustomed to it, this is a big change which is understandable why people would complain about it, especially since the plot has changed a lot to what it was.

Not saying that is the only criticism, but I believe that is the main reason for all these criticism the manga has been getting, the series does has its flaws and its execution may not be the best, but saying a series has gone downhill because its not the same is really unfair.

keragammingApr 14, 2017 7:07 PM
Apr 14, 2017 10:53 PM

Aug 2012
Horizon355 said:
This manga has gone downhill since the Uprising arc (which was an horrendeous arc).
The Return to Shiganshina arc was good. It's up there with Clash of Titan arc.
Apr 15, 2017 8:12 PM

Mar 2013
Just another shitty MAL thread.
Jul 7, 2019 1:50 PM
Mar 2019
kaanton said:

not at all. The mystery behind titans is too great. Any explanation they gave with satisfy us as long as it makes sense. Idk I guess I’m the only one who gets what’s going on in the manga. But everyone who is complaining about it either doesn’t get it or is getting bored of the lack of action. Which is understandable. Either way I still think it’s as good as before.
Jul 8, 2019 12:27 AM
Jun 2019
A series becoming more complex and difficult for you to understand does not mean it went downhill. If you find yourself confused, I would recommend you to watch foxen anime videos of each chapter and his other videos too where he explains things very nicely, you feel like eren's character is not properly developed you need to watch Soul 's video of Genius of Eren Yaegar' s Character, I understand where you are coming from, but complexities in a series where you have to be paying close attention to every panel every detail, anything can be a subtle hint for something significant later, and having some loose ends which most probably will be tied later, should not be the reason for you to start calling it dogshit. This series explores various themes, draws parallel with real world, explores human nature in various ways which can be related to our real world, also the amount of foreshadowing this series have is insane, I am sure I am not the the only one, the feeling I got watching very first episode of AOT, the series continues to give me same feels, it keeps me guessing, and always the feeling I am not ready for some new development, no other series could be this much intriguing to me. So you should not blame a series for your lack of understanding.
Jul 8, 2019 5:44 AM
Apr 2017
Lol another salty asf critic. You're either just way too dumb to understand what's going on or you haven't read the manga properly if it's the latter go and re-read it and if it's the former then there's no helping you.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 4 Discussion

MagEarwhig - Sep 11, 2011

25 by HenryDanger »»
Yesterday, 6:34 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 139 / Ending Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

NextUniverse - Apr 7, 2021

1874 by Berry-Vodka »»
Apr 22, 8:06 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 141 Discussion

venti_e - Sep 30, 2022

32 by Berry-Vodka »»
Apr 20, 1:36 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 77 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 7, 2016

137 by Berry-Vodka »»
Mar 31, 12:03 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 13 Discussion

Nidhoeggr - May 15, 2011

21 by Steekira »»
Mar 27, 8:35 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.