Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 10, 2017 1:11 PM
Mar 2016
I never watch OVA from this series, so what makes this series seem look popular ? Studio ? or Story ? or another reason ?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 10, 2017 1:17 PM

Sep 2016
just another overrated stuff that reddit hyped up as usual
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Jan 10, 2017 2:03 PM
Feb 2015
There are many reasons: Studio Trigger, stunning character designs, absurdly good animation, fun story, fun music, ...
Jan 10, 2017 2:30 PM

Dec 2015
Little witch Academia was an excessively family feel good story with an incredibly simple story and characters executed remarkably, particularly for a 26 minute or so duration. Story is also very fun and really goes to show how you can excel at making a basic magical conception without having to consist of little to no original ideas.

Also, it's studio trigger so obviously consistent and smooth animation; Very suitable for the theme and was a huge contribution to the fun spirit of the films. Appropriate music and defining character designs, enough to get a sense of the characters' personalities. The characters themselves weren't bland and were very expressive with the role they played in the films, honestly I could go on as it's one of my all time favorite kids animated films.

They're many reasons why Little witch academia is hyped up, but I believe it's kids-friendly and a very brisk family feel good movie, so such expectations would be for the series as well.
Why yu gettin' cheeky? (͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jan 10, 2017 2:31 PM
Jan 10, 2017 2:33 PM

Apr 2016
? Studio ? or Story ? or another reason ? all of them.
Jan 10, 2017 2:50 PM

Oct 2010
I haven't watched the movies, so I can't really comment on that, but the first episode was extremely enjoyable. I probably have the highest expectations for this show atm.
Jan 10, 2017 2:56 PM

Jan 2011
What makes it popular?

-Studio Trigger
-Engaging and unique characters
-The story captures the grand adventure vibe and is really hooking you and engaging on a pretty simple premise of following your dreams no matter how far they may be.

I seen the OVA and movie by the way.
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Jan 10, 2017 3:12 PM

Jul 2014
Alot of people refer it from the OVA's and Studio Trigger. OVA was an original which got the hype since it's Trigger.
Jan 10, 2017 3:14 PM

Jul 2015
DrBlock42 said:
There are many reasons: Studio Trigger, stunning character designs, absurdly good animation, fun story, fun music, ...

I agree with this. It's amazing how much details they put into the movie and OVA. I cannot wait to watch the first episode tonight :D

Jan 10, 2017 3:16 PM
Feb 2015
Shad0w77 said:
DrBlock42 said:

I agree with this. It's amazing how much details they put into the movie and OVA. I cannot wait to watch the first episode tonight :D
The animation is so amazing in the TV show. It's crazy, even for Trigger!
Jan 10, 2017 3:17 PM

Jul 2015
DrBlock42 said:
Shad0w77 said:

The animation is so amazing, even in the TV show, it's crazy, even for Trigger!

Where did you watch the episode? I did not see it on Crunchyroll or Funimation? I cannot wait to get back from work and watch it :D

Jan 10, 2017 3:21 PM
Feb 2015
Shad0w77 said:
DrBlock42 said:
The animation is so amazing, even in the TV show, it's crazy, even for Trigger!

Where did you watch the episode? I did not see it on Crunchyroll or Funimation? I cannot wait to get back from work and watch it :D
"Sadly" it is licensed by Netflix (That means ONLY Netflix - The physical release is probably handled by another company. I think Knights of Sidonia was Funimation). They'll release the first 13 episodes in around three months, then three months later the rest - no simulcast (if the do it as usual). I downloaded a fansub because I was simply too curious about how good it is. Now I'll wait until all 25 episodes are out and watch it in one sitting on Netflix.
Jan 10, 2017 3:25 PM
Mar 2016
Maybe i will try to watch it
Jan 10, 2017 3:41 PM

Jul 2015
Because it's very very good and the best NEW show from the season
Sup...
Jan 10, 2017 9:46 PM

Dec 2014
MasterHavik said:
What makes it popular?

-Studio Trigger
-The story captures the grand adventure vibe and is really hooking you and engaging on a pretty simple premise of following your dreams no matter how far they may be.

I wouldn't say unique, but yeah, they're good.
Jan 10, 2017 10:01 PM
Dec 2013
It's just good my dude.
Jan 10, 2017 10:08 PM

Jun 2014
Its good. Don't worry anime fans, you can admit when an anime is good!
Jan 10, 2017 10:15 PM

May 2014
something about seeing studio trigger hypes people up.
Jan 10, 2017 11:09 PM
Jan 2017
The two previous iterations of Little Witch Academia did so well, that's why.
Jan 10, 2017 11:22 PM

Jan 2011
NipahAllDay said:
MasterHavik said:
What makes it popular?

-Studio Trigger

I wouldn't say unique, but yeah, they're good.
I may be overselling it, but I like how cool Sucy is.
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Jan 10, 2017 11:29 PM

Mar 2014
Because it's the anime version of Harry Potter, with little moe girls instead.
Jan 11, 2017 3:54 AM

Dec 2013
ziggy_Z said:
Because it's the anime version of Harry Potter, with little moe girls instead.

The only similarity to Harry Potter is that they both at magic school, its popular because of the short and the movie and even if it's similar what is the problem if it's good.

This show is not moe , moe is something like "gohuumon wa usagi desultory ka??" It's not only the animation that makes an anime moe it's more how the characters behave,this one is more like "kill la kill "

I know we have less realistic animation now then before,and that is really bad but that doesn't mean to judge an anime only by its style.

And sometime maybe an anime is popular because it's really good.
AlhakamJan 11, 2017 3:58 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 11, 2017 5:22 AM

Apr 2012
Don't argue over whether things are moe, everyone's moe is different.
Jan 11, 2017 10:07 AM

Jul 2015
DrBlock42 said:
Shad0w77 said:

"Sadly" it is licensed by Netflix (That means ONLY Netflix - The physical release is probably handled by another company. I think Knights of Sidonia was Funimation). They'll release the first 13 episodes in around three months, then three months later the rest - no simulcast (if the do it as usual). I downloaded a fansub because I was simply too curious about how good it is. Now I'll wait until all 25 episodes are out and watch it in one sitting on Netflix.

That is not so bad then. I will probably wait for it to be release on Netflix then since they do a good job :) I might just watch the first one with fansubs since I am really curious as well :P

Jan 11, 2017 10:08 AM
Feb 2015
Shad0w77 said:
DrBlock42 said:

That is not so bad then. I will probably wait for it to be release on Netflix then since they do a good job :) I might just watch the first one with fansubs since I am really curious as well :P
That's what I usually do. I watch the first episodes and than when the next season comes arround I finish them.
Jan 11, 2017 1:11 PM

May 2013
It's super friendly, not pretentious, and definitely not aiming to look more than what it is: a fun show about a girl who is super passionate about magic. Regarding her personality being a silly airhead, that's subjective, you either love it or hate it. I'm pretty happy loving it, you do whatever you fancy.
Jan 11, 2017 1:57 PM

Feb 2012
Kagami said:

Well, GangsterCat surely can't
In 9/10 cases, the worst thing about an anime is its fandom.
Jan 11, 2017 4:49 PM
Go read Medalist
Apr 2007
It's popular because when the first OVA came out, it was the first time in fucking years when a straightforward magical fantasy story was made for all ages/genders, and with such incredible warmth and affection towards the world and its characters that not every Ghibli movie would be able to compare to it favorably. No pointless fanservice nor otaku pandering, no cheesy humor, no shounen exuberance, no edgy deconstruction—just a tightly-written, consistently well-executed feel-good magical fantasy story. I was 28 when I watched the first OVA, and at no point did I feel like my intelligence was insulted in any way or that its writers were employing cheap tricks to elicit my emotions. That's a much rarer thing than one might expect.

With Miyazaki out of the picture for good and Shinkai mainly focused on teenager audience, there aren't many active directors or studios who can make a quality feel-good anime in such a setting without resorting to pandering or some sort of metatextual satire. The only one that comes to mind is Mamoru Hosoda, who takes three years to make a movie—and even then I can't honestly say something like Wolf Children qualifies for "feel-good". Don't get me wrong—it's an incredible movie, but there's a lot of sadness in it, too, and a child wouldn't be able to enjoy it as much as an adult, in my opinion.
Jan 11, 2017 5:06 PM

Oct 2014
SenpaiJay98 said:
Because it's very very good and the best NEW show from the season

well the competion is kind of pathetic this season so not much of a praise
it seems that outside of sequels this will be the worst season in a long while
Jan 11, 2017 9:14 PM

Jun 2015
It's a really feel-good show and you can tell it's a passion project; there a lot of cynical anime out there nowadays. It's also refreshing for a lot of people (including me) to see something that 's not hung up on some kind of crowd-pleasing agenda like moe, or glorified homosexuality, or politics, etc. It's just a good time all around, highly recommended!
Jan 12, 2017 6:11 AM

Jun 2012
Well this is popular because of the films that came out few years earlier. They were from a project called Anime Mirai(or some other thing), there were a couple of more Anime titles, but Little Witch was the most successful one(I think), ahead of Death Billiards(Death Parade first "version").
The story was different from what you usually see, the art was fresh and the animation was really well made which had good reviews and all. It created a solid fanbase, then the Studio made a Kickstarter for the second movie and the goal was met, that's why you see people saying "studio Trigger saves anime, let the memes coming". What you see today is the result of all of it.
Jan 15, 2017 2:44 PM

May 2009
Nucksen said:
Kagami said:

Well, GangsterCat surely can't

He's a shitposter, you ignore his opinions and his existance for better life.
Jan 17, 2017 3:05 AM

Mar 2009
moozooh said:
It's popular because when the first OVA came out, it was the first time in fucking years when a straightforward magical fantasy story was made for all ages/genders, and with such incredible warmth and affection towards the world and its characters that not every Ghibli movie would be able to compare to it favorably. No pointless fanservice nor otaku pandering, no cheesy humor, no shounen exuberance, no edgy deconstruction—just a tightly-written, consistently well-executed feel-good magical fantasy story. I was 28 when I watched the first OVA, and at no point did I feel like my intelligence was insulted in any way or that its writers were employing cheap tricks to elicit my emotions. That's a much rarer thing than one might expect.

With Miyazaki out of the picture for good and Shinkai mainly focused on teenager audience, there aren't many active directors or studios who can make a quality feel-good anime in such a setting without resorting to pandering or some sort of metatextual satire. The only one that comes to mind is Mamoru Hosoda, who takes three years to make a movie—and even then I can't honestly say something like Wolf Children qualifies for "feel-good". Don't get me wrong—it's an incredible movie, but there's a lot of sadness in it, too, and a child wouldn't be able to enjoy it as much as an adult, in my opinion.

^What moozooh said. Very good post.
Jan 17, 2017 3:20 AM

Jan 2014
DrBlock42 said:
Shad0w77 said:

Ikr?Its amazing how much still frames this anime has even with this easy to animate/0 detail character art style...They didnt even try to animate what's happening at the background so far...

Jan 17, 2017 4:48 AM
Feb 2015
LoneWizzy said:
Ikr?Its amazing how much still frames this anime has even with this easy to animate/0 detail character art style...They didnt even try to animate what's happening at the background so far...

Easy character designs? I don't know how much experience you have with animating, but as far as I'm concerned they aren't easy to pull off. It's super hard to nail the curves of the lines - to make them look as perfect as they look. Just look at the making of, Yoshinari corrected basically every single line of every frame to make them look this harmonious.

And the animation that is present is detailed and rich not like i.e. most ufotable works which look stunning and are full of detail but feature pretty standard animation (if any sometimes). (I'm not hating on Ufotable, just to be clear)
Jan 17, 2017 5:10 AM

Aug 2015
LoneWizzy said:
DrBlock42 said:

I rather agree with you. There are no details on the shading or reflections of the hair, and the chara design are actually simple. Animation is easier, for sure.

To answer the initial question, I think the series is popular because the animation studio Trigger already has an excellent reputation (Kill la Kill, Uchuu Patrol Luluco) but also for the entertaining (short) movies already known of Little Witch Academia.
However I can easily say the scenario is very basic and the characters are very simple and unidimensional for the moment.
It remains to be seen how the characters will be developed. In this case, Tirigger has 25 episodes to do it.

The last episode was a little empty and without much interest scenario except the appearance of Cavendish and the presentation of the different teachings
Jan 17, 2017 6:45 AM

Jan 2014
TuyNOM said:
LoneWizzy said:

I rather agree with you. There are no details on the shading or reflections of the hair, and the chara design are actually simple. Animation is easier, for sure.

To answer the initial question, I think the series is popular because the animation studio Trigger already has an excellent reputation (Kill la Kill, Uchuu Patrol Luluco) but also for the entertaining (short) movies already known of Little Witch Academia.
However I can easily say the scenario is very basic and the characters are very simple and unidimensional for the moment.
It remains to be seen how the characters will be developed. In this case, Tirigger has 25 episodes to do it.

The last episode was a little empty and without much interest scenario except the appearance of Cavendish and the presentation of the different teachings
I am not even talking about how good or bad the show is...I am just talking about art/animation...LWA has simple(Simpler than most of the anime) character art and it actually contrary to common belief does not pay much attention to animation(backgrounds doesnt move,At a time only ONE thing moves on the screen,and again,since character art is simpler and easier to draw then almost every show airing this season animating this show is so much easier)...Its even more obvious in bigger scale scenes,nobody moves in those scenes except camera,its basically a still image ...

Here for instance,they are showing a scene where everyone is supposed to be doing something but for 5 seconds nobody even moves a limb and you just watch a still image...
Jan 17, 2017 7:18 AM

Oct 2016
LoneWizzy said:
DrBlock42 said:

lmao I'm not watching that garbage
This makes studio deep look like ufotable
Jan 17, 2017 9:16 AM

Jul 2008
I'm glad I picked this up, it's a fun series to watch :D
Jan 17, 2017 11:28 AM

Aug 2015
LoneWizzy said:
TuyNOM said:

I am not even talking about how good or bad the show is...I am just talking about art/animation...LWA has simple(Simpler than most of the anime) character art and it actually contrary to common belief does not pay much attention to animation(backgrounds doesnt move,At a time only ONE thing moves on the screen,and again,since character art is simpler and easier to draw then almost every show airing this season animating this show is so much easier)...Its even more obvious in bigger scale scenes,nobody moves in those scenes except camera,its basically a still image ...

Here for instance,they are showing a scene where everyone is supposed to be doing something but for 5 seconds nobody even moves a limb and you just watch a still image...

I understood you were talking about animation. Only the first part of my comment was addressed to you. (It wasn't clear, I admit)

I agree with what you say about the animation of Little Witch Academia but it's very beautiful to watch during the action scenes. (for instance I think of the last scene of episode 1 when Akko uses her super technique "Shiny Arc")

Personally, in the same genre, I prefer Flip Flappers.
Jan 17, 2017 11:33 AM

Jan 2014
@TuyNOM
Well ye...Even comparing these is an insult to FlipFlap's animation...It had the best animation of the season...And it's art was more unique than LWA too...
Jan 17, 2017 11:43 AM

Aug 2015
LoneWizzy said:
@TuyNOM
Well ye...Even comparing these is an insult to FlipFlap's animation...It had the best animation of the season...And it's art was more unique than LWA too...

Don't you exaggerate slightly on LWA?
However I acknowledge to have been amazed by the animation of Flip Flappers (episode 3 and 8 ++), but I won't talk about it anymore because it's off-topic...
Jan 17, 2017 11:46 AM

Jan 2014
TuyNOM said:
LoneWizzy said:
@TuyNOM

However I acknowledge to have been amazed by the animation of Flip Flappers (episode 3 and 8 ++), but I won't talk about it anymore because it's off-topic...
yeee true...Since people exaggerate it's animation and even praise the statue scene(which must really be a joke) in epsode 2 i kinda went too harsh too...Episode 2 had really bad animation but episode 1 was much better,will see how it goes after episode 3...
Jan 17, 2017 11:53 AM

Aug 2015
LoneWizzy said:
TuyNOM said:

yeee true...Since people exaggerate it's animation and even praise the statue scene(which must really be a joke) in epsode 2 i kinda went too harsh too...Episode 2 had really bad animation but episode 1 was much better,will see how it goes after episode 3...

I think it will be difficult for Trigger (or any studio) to maintain a similar quality to all episodes. In my opinion, Trigger will put everything into the "key" episodes but the episodes as the last one that don't require great animation will be more sloppy.
Jan 17, 2017 11:54 AM

Jan 2014
TuyNOM said:
LoneWizzy said:

I think it will be difficult for Trigger (or any studio) to maintain a similar quality to all episodes. In my opinion, Trigger will put everything into the "key" episodes but the episodes as the last one that don't require great animation will be more sloppy.
Especially since its 2 cour and not even split cours :::/

As long as people keep praising even bad episodes for good animation its gud for them i guess
Jan 17, 2017 12:10 PM

Aug 2015
LoneWizzy said:
TuyNOM said:

Especially since its 2 cour and not even split cours :::/

As long as people keep praising even bad episodes for good animation its gud for them i guess

You are right. I hope LWA will have at least the animation level of Re: Zero (I quote a recent series)
Jan 17, 2017 12:23 PM

Jan 2013
SeasonADay said:
LoneWizzy said:

lmao I'm not watching that garbage
This makes studio deep look like ufotable
That's Studio Deen you anon.
And how do you know its garbage without actually watching it?

@LoneWizzy What's wrong with the statue scene?

@TuyNOM Re:Zero had its moments of QUALITY.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jan 17, 2017 12:44 PM

Aug 2015
Cabron said:
@TuyNOM Re:Zero had its moments of QUALITY.

I didn't say the opposite. Re: Zero even had excellent animation on several episodes.
Jan 17, 2017 12:51 PM

Jan 2014
Cabron said:
@LoneWizzy What's wrong with the statue scene?.
it was...normal?Unimpressive?Forgetable?

First part of it was heads spinning around and it was so fast that you cant even see anything...Second part was a still image with the hand getting longer...That was the only scene they had to animate and even that had derpy frames...

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Little Witch Academia (TV) Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 9, 2017

152 by LFC123 »»
Mar 21, 1:12 AM

Poll: » Little Witch Academia (TV) Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 5, 2017

116 by Sr_Caneca »»
Mar 7, 3:57 PM

Poll: » Little Witch Academia (TV) Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 26, 2017

159 by Sr_Caneca »»
Mar 7, 3:42 PM

Poll: » Little Witch Academia (TV) Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 25, 2017

310 by HoneyBees91 »»
Feb 28, 12:06 PM

Poll: » Little Witch Academia (TV) Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 7, 2017

186 by trueauracoral »»
Feb 18, 7:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.