Forum Settings
Forums

What should be the first anime someone should watch?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jan 10, 2017 1:24 AM

May 2013
Spirited Away - Was my first anime/ first anime movie. I recommend this for anyone who's starting to watch anime, it's also the starting point for every anime fan.

Fruits Basket - My first manga series I finished reading and loved it.

Also I recommend these few animes from my favorites-

Steins Gate

Terror in resonance

Tokyo Ghoul

Have fun binge watching. :)
Jan 10, 2017 3:32 AM

Jun 2012
Try to find something you can relate to, e.g.

School Days - if you are looking for some tragic romance.

Kuroko no Basuke, Slamdunk - if you're into basketball.

Hunter x hunter - for something adventurous.

Hagure Yuusha Aesthetica would also be a fine choice for wanting to watch a concept out of this world.

For Manga, Nozoki Ana is a first and must.
Jan 10, 2017 3:39 AM

Jul 2015
@flannan i can only speak from my own experience, but i watched disappearance before the main series and i felt more enticed to watch the main series.
Jan 10, 2017 3:39 AM

May 2015
For me it would be death note, even if you end up not liking it (doesn't happen often) it still teaches you alot about anime in an easy way, also has a decent live action movie.
In the end it really depends on your personal taste and what you are used to. I recommend starting with subs though, stay away from the dubs when possible >.>
pandabladeJan 10, 2017 3:47 AM

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Jan 10, 2017 3:50 AM

Jun 2016
Shingeki no Kyojin... Totally worth watch... for the newcomers
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 10, 2017 3:55 AM
Apr 2016
probably Death note/code geass if you're age 18+
hunterxhunter or full metal alchemist brotherhood if you're 18-
Jan 10, 2017 4:03 AM

Dec 2015
Death Note is a pretty good anime to start with.

Oh, and also, if you liked Kimi no na wa, try his other works like Kotonoha no Niwa.

If you don't mind anime that has many episodes, try Hayate the Combat Butler (although it has a lot of filler) and Gintama, they're hilarious.

And about manga... Try Hayate the Combat Butler, Doubt! (Not to be mistaken with Doubt!!), Mahou Shoujo Negima and Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai.
Jan 10, 2017 4:03 AM

Jan 2015
Watch anpanman and one punch man simultaneously then lock

la critique de l'intention pure
Jan 10, 2017 4:05 AM

Sep 2016
iViRUS said:
I'm new to anime and manga, like really new. I just saw my first anime yesterday. Watch should be the first anime I watch and what should be the first manga I read? What is your favourites?

Samurai champloo is very beginners friendly, cowboy bebop , cencoroll , little witch academias , spice&wolf (or light novel), for something a little different the monogatari series (at least bake, kizu and monogats 2nd season), ergo proxy , the tatami galaxy , kaiba , angel's egg , grave of the fireflies , neighbour yamadas . Best things I watched so far.
neon genesis evangelion is something you check to form an opinion of the fandom among other pretty good things.

I'm sure there's more, I'm not well-animed enough to come up with 50 good anime movies to challenge world wide cinema, most classics are sillier than people make out and my tip would be to never have people telling you what to buy/watch. Especially if it's to "get anime" and it's overly long stuff.
It's not that you are not allowed to watch detective conan or anything
(it's better than watching romaticizing edgy killers in death note and monster).

As far as mangas go, Dorohedoro (despite more stuff in my list I don't feel confident enough to recommend, otherwise they are good).
As far as visual novels go Phenomeno is free but Black Closet , Akai Ito , Aoi Shiro are great.
FondenteJan 10, 2017 7:32 AM
Jan 10, 2017 5:06 AM
Jan 2017
Every amateur anime watcher I know watched Attack on titan
Jan 10, 2017 5:44 AM

Nov 2014
Meh just watch whatever and go along with your way, don't fear branching out into different genres. You'll eventually develop your own (shit) taste.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Jan 10, 2017 5:52 AM

May 2015
Figure out what genres you like in TV shows, movies, and comics first. Then search up that genre, and watch the highest rated shows from that genre.

Jan 10, 2017 7:45 AM

May 2016
Utsu musume sayuri. 3 minutes of pure perfection.
Jan 10, 2017 7:51 AM

Dec 2016
Everyone has their individual tastes of anime genre, but i'm prefer to watch Action anime with romance and comedy as a complement :D
Jan 10, 2017 8:56 AM

Nov 2016
Just watch any show in my top 5 (Madoka Magica, Steins;Gate, Toradora, Your Lie in April, and Usagi Drop) and you're good to go. Also definitely watch Nichijou, Evangelion, and Cowboy Bebop.

In terms of manga definitely check out Death Note and Evangelion.
Pixel_VapourJan 10, 2017 8:59 AM
Jan 10, 2017 9:01 AM

Mar 2015
Depends on the individual, but Death Note, SnK & OPM would be my top 3 recommendations for anyone.
Jan 10, 2017 9:46 AM

Aug 2013
JoJo's Bizarre Adventures- Need to mention my favorite anime. The only way I can describe JoJo is that it's JoJo. If you like action and looking for a bizarre good time then the show is for you.

20th Century Boys- I'm currently reading this and absolutely love it. If you love Scfi then definitely gives this a read.

Jan 10, 2017 9:56 AM

Jul 2015
scruffs said:
My anime starter pack includes cowboy beebop. Fma (brotherhood), akira. Flcl. And disappearance of haruhi suzumiya. They have high quality dubs. And after that move on to nge.

Hey I like your starter pack, but between those who troll and those who give their honest opinion, I doubt OP will start with sexy stuff like that :p.

OT: try Ghost in the Shell (the first movie) and Princess Mononoke. there are tons of good movies to watch, and it'll set the bar animation-wise. Cowboy Bebop and Black Lagoon are good picks for westerners who don't want to deal with harem, deres and all that weeb stuff too early.
DeathkoJan 10, 2017 10:00 AM
Jan 10, 2017 9:58 AM

Feb 2014
Any of these
-Code Geass.
-Hellsing Ultimate
-Death Note
-Shingeki no Kyojin
-Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis

Some longer ones if you have patience to watch them.
-Hunter x Hunter (2011)
-Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Also i recommend Bleach, just skip Filler episodes. And One Piece its very long but still worth to watch. :)
Jan 10, 2017 9:58 AM

Oct 2015
iViRUS said:
I'm new to anime and manga, like really new. I just saw my first anime yesterday. Watch should be the first anime I watch and what should be the first manga I read? What is your favourites?

In my opinion start with death note and code gease
Jan 10, 2017 9:59 AM

Oct 2015
AkashiRvL said:
Any of these
-Code Geass.
-Hellsing Ultimate
-Death Note
-Shingeki no Kyojin
-Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis

Some longer ones if you have patience to watch them.
-Hunter x Hunter (2011)
-Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Also i recommend Bleach, just skip Filler episodes. And One Piece its very long but still worth to watch. :)

totally agreed bro these are the best anime to start
Jan 10, 2017 11:01 AM

Apr 2011
You should try Pupa it's a real masterpiece.
Jan 10, 2017 11:52 AM

Feb 2015
First of all whalecome to this world :v. There are a lot of animes you can watch and that depends on your tastes (there are so much types of animes, too). I recommend you Death Note, Anohana, Paranoia Agent, idk. If you want u can check lists on MAL and choose to start with whatever you want.
Jan 10, 2017 12:45 PM

Sep 2016
Last thing on Earth you wanna be is a weeaboo, so you want to get some real anime under your belt before you start talking with other fans about it. Cory in the House, King of the Hill, Shrek, Seinfeld...all good places to start. Try Mr. Belvedere or ALF if you want to start on some real classics.

Speaking of Mr. Belvedere, I'm still waiting on my Heather Owens figurine to come in the mail.
Jan 10, 2017 1:29 PM
Jul 2018
Maybe Ghibli movies? Chihiros Reise ins Zauberland (uhm... I don't know the English title, wait... it's Spirited Away?), Mononoke Hime etc, because of the art style and the storyline.
Srsly, every single person I know loves (or at least likes) Ghibli. XD

My first animes were Pokemon, Digimon, YGO, Dragonball, Sailor Moon, Inuyasha, Detective Conan and so on. Also animes, which are mistaken for cartoons. Well, I was a kid and watched TV, but I don't regret any of them.
Jan 10, 2017 1:52 PM

Aug 2016
Jan 10, 2017 5:25 PM

Nov 2016
Anime is very much its own genre with specific tropes that only make sense if you've seen a few eg "the transported into a fantasy world" is referenced in newer anime like re-zero and Konosuba.
So I'm thinking when starting the best thing to do is see alot so stick to short shows so you dont burn out, maybe 12 episode stuff, drop anything immediately if you get bored as you can come back it to later just get a decent variety watched.
As for what to watch older would be better to start with as newer anime is very much anime made about anime whereas the older stuff such as cowboy bebop is more accessible to western audiences but honestly you will pick up on your tastes quickly once you have had some variety
“we all live with the objective of being happy, our lives are all different and yet the same.”
Jan 10, 2017 6:06 PM

Jun 2011
Princess Tutu (magical girl, ballet)
Gravitation (drama, gay guys, music band)
Love Live (Idol band singers and dancing club)
Naruto (Fighting shonen-for boys, very long)
Akira (WTF psychics and animation visuals, apocalypse, more adult)
Polar Bear Cafe (very cute bears and other animals... Working. Cutely and drinking coffee. What more could you want?)
Arakawa Under the Bridge (comedy about people who are such losers they live and work under a bridge. I relate to it.)
The anime community in a nutshell.
Jan 10, 2017 7:51 PM

Sep 2015
Mine was Sword Art and well, it did it's job and now I'm hooked. lol
Jan 10, 2017 8:47 PM
Nov 2013
+1 JoJo's Bizarre Adventures series. They're action packed manliness and encourages you to do poses
Jan 10, 2017 8:59 PM
Oct 2016
(not the best but they tend to be gateways to anime.)
Akame ga Kill
Sword Art Online
Tokyo Ghoul

(pretty damn good)
Code Geass
Assassination Classroom
Re Zero
Mirai Nikki
Hyouka
Psycho Pass
Parasyte
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
Steins Gate

(favs)
White Album 2
Zetsuen no Tempest
Hunter x Hunter
Fate Series (specifically Fate Zero)
Jan 10, 2017 11:27 PM

Aug 2014
Try watching shows that are known to be good. ex KIMI NO NA WA!!!!!!!!!!
Jan 11, 2017 1:16 AM
Apr 2015
I would say Lucky Star, mainly because it's what got me really into high school comedy anime, but of course that's just a preference. You might not even like high school anime, but yeah.
Saiyan_Prince said:
I've never cheated on someone before, but I've been cheated on. And let me tell you, it hurts like a bitch. If you don't want to be with someone, please just go ahead and end it before you even think about looking for that someone else. Don't wait and find that person in order to line it up first and then just move from one relationship to the next without even pausing. I honestly don't understand how people can be heartless enough to cheat on someone.
Jan 11, 2017 3:20 AM

Jan 2016
Barakamon should do; it's light, enjoyable and starter-friendly.
Jan 11, 2017 3:29 AM

Sep 2014
hentai .................................. yeah
lewd is love, lewd is life !

Jan 11, 2017 4:32 AM

Apr 2015
IMO It Should Be Either Death Note Or Sailor Moon Or Dragon Ball Z..
Jan 11, 2017 6:28 AM

Mar 2016
Death Note but i also reccomend Fullmetal Alchemist as well
Jan 11, 2017 7:23 AM

Oct 2015
It honestly depends on the person but generally speaking Cowboy Bebop and Akira are good gateway anime.
Jan 11, 2017 7:39 AM

Nov 2016
Something solid, of any length depending on you.
Jan 11, 2017 9:16 AM

Mar 2016
There are a lot of good suggestions here. The best suggestion is probably to go to the list of the highest-rated and most popular anime and read the descriptions, then try a few episodes until you find something that grabs you.

Personally, I prefer the lighter anime, with lots of action but also lots of humour and cool characters. So, I'll give you a few different categories and recommend an anime or two in each one to check out:

Fantasy/Action/Humour:

Hunter X Hunter (2011)
Fairy Tail

Both of them are very long but both of them are also extremely popular. Of the two, I think most people would agree that Hunter X Hunter (2011) is the best. It's about a boy who wants to learn to become a hunter of monsters and goes for training. Along the way he makes a few friends and learns how to become a complete bad-ass. It's a bit more serious than Fairy Tail but it's also a better story.

Fairy Tail is about a guild of wizards. There are a few main characters but the most popular one is probably Natsu, who was raised by a dragon and uses fire magic. With Natsu, there's basically only one rule: Don't hurt his friends.That makes him angry and you really don't want to fight Natsu when he's angry. Some of the episodes are kind of silly but the fights more than make up for it.

Sports:

Kuroko no Basket
Haikyuu!!

These are both very similar. Kuroko no Basket is about basketball while Haikyuu!! is about volleyball. Lots of action and fun as the teams learn new skills and struggle to become better at their sports. In Kuroko the players learn special moves or have special abilities, which sometimes almost makes it feel like you are watching a fantasy anime. Haikyuu!! is a bit closer to reality, but also rated a bit higher, maybe because it's a bit more recent (the third season just finished a few weeks ago in December).

Martial arts:

Shijou Saikyou no Deshi Kenichi (History's strongest disciple)
Hajim no Ippo

Some would say Samurai Champloo or Rurouni Kenshin are better choices for martial arts and I might even agree. But I saw both Hajime no Ippo and Kenichi when I was still fairly new to anime and they helped me become a fan of anime, so that is why I would recommend them.

Hajime no Ippo is one of the most popular and highest-rated animes of all time, but it is also fairly old, since it came out in 2000. Don't let that put you off, though. This story about Makunouchi Ippo, who has been bullied all his life, learning to box is a story that will touch your heart and you will end up cheering just as hard for him as the crowds who support him.

Kenichi is more fun. Also a boy who gets bullied, but he ends up at a school where seven masters of martial arts live and they decide to teach him, whether he wants to or not. Kenichi is laugh-out loud funny but as the people who pick fights with him will learn, there is nothing funny about the martial arts he learns.

School:

Shokugeki no Souma (Food Wars)
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei (The Irregular at Magic High School)

Both of these take place at schools and have very strong heroes. Shokugeki is about a guy who goes to a cooking school (I know, I know how it sounds but just read a few reviews and watch the first episode or two, I promise you will not be sorry) and the other one is about a guy who goes to a magic school where everyone has stronger magic than him - but it turns out he has a few aces up his sleeve.

Happy watching!
Jan 11, 2017 11:04 AM

Jun 2008
Phendrus said:
Intrigue, War, Giant Robot Vehicles, and Ambitious Protagonists

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion
Set in an alternate reality. After obtaining the power to control the minds of others, an exiled prince turns against his warmongering homeland of Britannia, leading an uprising to free the Britannian-occupied Japan and find the truth behind his mother's murder. My personal favorite.[/spoiler]
Don't listen to him. I'd highly recommend the original Macross series and then Macross Frontier. It's art may be older, but the story is still good. Don't become one of those posers that think anything before 2000 is junk.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Jan 11, 2017 12:05 PM
Jul 2016
sbyrstall said:
Phendrus said:
Intrigue, War, Giant Robot Vehicles, and Ambitious Protagonists

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion
Set in an alternate reality. After obtaining the power to control the minds of others, an exiled prince turns against his warmongering homeland of Britannia, leading an uprising to free the Britannian-occupied Japan and find the truth behind his mother's murder. My personal favorite.[/spoiler]
Don't listen to him. I'd highly recommend the original Macross series and then Macross Frontier. It's art may be older, but the story is still good. Don't become one of those posers that think anything before 2000 is junk.

Good sir, I'd appreciate it if you didn't put words in my mouth. I never said anything remotely resembling "anything before 2000 is junk."
Important Note: I no longer - in any way, shape, or form - consider myself a moral nihilist (even in my old, convoluted definition of the term). I very much do believe there is such a thing as objective good and evil. In addition, I apologize for any of the posts I've made that are rude, aggressive, or otherwise unbecoming.

I've always striven to walk a path befitting a follower of Christ, and now recognize some of my old comments here as misguided if not outright wrong. If you happen upon them, pray do not let them darken your view of the God I serve. He is kind, even if I, at times, have not been.
Jan 11, 2017 12:38 PM

Jun 2008
Phendrus said:
sbyrstall said:

Good sir, I'd appreciate it if you didn't put words in my mouth. I never said anything remotely resembling "anything before 2000 is junk."
Actually I didn't put any word in your mouth nor was I implying you did. I'm just saying there are people out there who have that mentality. I was just saying that Code Geass sucked and the OP shouldn't waste his time with it and watch a classic mecha instead. Sorry if I came across that way. It wasn't my intention.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Jan 11, 2017 1:52 PM

Sep 2015
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood. DONT WATCH SAO as your first.
Jan 11, 2017 7:56 PM

Aug 2015
.One Piece
.Dragon Ball Z
.HunterXHunter
.Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
.Hajime no ippo

Jan 12, 2017 3:34 AM

Mar 2015
you should watch mainstream anime like: sao, attack on titan, guilty crown, re:zero, etc
Jan 12, 2017 6:30 AM

Jan 2017
I think ERASED is the best show to start getting into anime, it's simple and doesn't require any knowledge of the media, maybe Miyazaki's movies would work out too.
If you think the show is too dark or the target isn't appropriate for you give A Certain Magical Index or some other shounen a shot. I wouldn't recommend watching the most popular ones like naruto or one piece unless you're optimist enough to believe that you'll be able to finish watching them before you find yourself in your deathbed.
"Now, come here. So long as we hold hands, we won't be separated."
Jan 12, 2017 11:38 AM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
Yuru Yuri could help you find your favorite gender if you're already fan, else it would be weird but not enough for someone to stop...
I guess Yuru Yuri indeed. For the slight comedy (manga source by definition) and the yuri fanservice (romance).

Jan 12, 2017 2:23 PM

Nov 2016
Well, it is different for everyone but personally I began with Death Note and just couldn't stop (as my profile clearly shows - I'm still obsessed) so I guess that would be good to get someone hooked to anime as it did so for me :)
Jan 12, 2017 2:27 PM

Nov 2016
Katrix_ said:
iViRUS said:

In my opinion start with death note and code gease

Ironically, Death Note was my first anime and Code Geass was my second xD
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Anime that have all female guilds/clubs/groups/living places, etc

GakutoDeathGlare - Yesterday

6 by Zarutaku »»
1 hour ago

» Similar animes to Tengoku Daimakyou ( 1 2 )

Salvaged - Apr 21

71 by rikkaheh »»
5 hours ago

» Watched one episode but forgot the name

Snailsoup - 9 hours ago

2 by Snailsoup »»
9 hours ago

» New(ish) Manga Reader in Need of Recommendations!

Wakarimas-en - Apr 23

8 by Wakarimas-en »»
12 hours ago

» Anime recommendations please

MeZaDefined - 12 hours ago

0 by MeZaDefined »»
12 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.