Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 10, 2017 2:33 PM

Dec 2013
Im Not sure why it's rated so low , maybe anime fans don't like serious realistic anime story any more, and maybe because of that we don't get more of these anymore anyway...

I think this anime has a good story of morals, even a thief can have some, it's a good start of old police historical story , I don't get why people complaining about the animation it looks so good to me

We really need more seinen animes and little less shonon, I mean more realistic anime with mature story ,although I like both
AlhakamJan 10, 2017 2:38 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 10, 2017 4:32 PM
Jan 2016
Farabeuf said:
Not that bad of first episode. Yeah the art and animation are not mind boggling but what do you expect. The budget for this must be minuscule. This is not a light novel adaptation or a hyped property. The direction could be better too, but that can be said about 9 out of 10 series this season.

Studio 3Hz with its first project(& original anime at that. Not an adaptation) done a better job at animation than this. So less hype, probably less budget, yet better animation. I am not trying to bash this anime for no apparent reason, but it's a fact that the animation in this anime is bad.

But those "9 out of 10 series" this season have average direction that could be better, not bad direction that could be better like this one.

Nayrael said:
It is an Anime made by a new studio that is animating something that would never be expected to make a decent amount of money. Of course the animation quality will not be high, what the heck do you people expect?

Average animation. Average directing. And . . . that's it really.
Jan 10, 2017 5:08 PM

Mar 2014
the opening song is fresh and fabulous
i finished the whole ep. i love the old period of Japan. idk what level of animation others expect, but the quality is defintely 100 times better than Quality Code
ButtSlapperJan 10, 2017 10:58 PM
Jan 10, 2017 8:42 PM

Nov 2015
It was ok. The historical vibes is getting to me.

Jan 10, 2017 10:08 PM

Apr 2015
As an original Onihei fan I'm disappointed especially the animation quality, it''s not like the unique style purposely made but just low quality I knew it's a low budget Anime though.
Jan 11, 2017 1:43 AM

Jun 2013
well at least it's brutal kinda?
Jan 11, 2017 4:48 AM

Nov 2011
I hope this is better than Joker Game
"Why do I always realize it... when I've already lost it..." -Guts, Berserk
"Some things are beautiful because they cannot be obtained." -Gilgamesh, Fate/stay night
"We are constantly living in a peaceful world that somebody else won for us. Even if it were only a day of peace, I will be grateful for its value." - Minashiro Tsubaki, FAFNER
"Screw you, future me!" -Makise Kurisu, Steins;Gate
"We used to show off by waging wars and whatnot." -Watashi, Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
"Call me Moses. I'm going to part the sea of students before your eyes." -Moses?, Valvrave
"Time is guilty." -Andō & Tomoyo, INOU-Battle
Jan 11, 2017 5:26 AM

Dec 2015
Didn't like it that much. And I don't care about animation. It's mainly because for samurai era I prefer pure action like Sengoku Basara or stuff with politics (Sengoku era and the different clans fighting).

Such police stuff I'd prefer in a modern setting.

1st episode was okay. I thought it was going to be some brutal bloody/gore episodic crime story thing. And the 1st half of the episode was bad/boring.

But I liked how it turned out in the 2nd half. (Boss of the prisoner guy changed and I already suspected that. And prisoner guy now joining the police. Might get interesting to see prisoner guy + police chief guy and the son of the police chief guy together.)

Going to watch episode 2 and maybe 3 and then deciding. Since it seems 1 cour only I might watch it completely.
Jan 11, 2017 8:49 AM

Jun 2014
This was excellent! Loved the voice actors in this so much! Also, to the people complaining about the animation, lol, this looks fine, it just has a different art style. There were 1-2 ugly cgi crowd shots but that's about it. The action scenes were seriously awesome.
alpha_shadowJan 11, 2017 8:57 AM
:3
Jan 11, 2017 8:50 AM
Nov 2014
Alhakam said:
I don't get why people complaining about the animation it looks so good to me

Agree, especially the sword fight scene

Jan 11, 2017 9:20 AM

May 2016
Well, it isn't that bad except some cringy CGI xD. I'll keep watching it :P
Jan 11, 2017 11:24 AM

Aug 2016
gosh, the backgrounds are nice, the opening is among the best this season, the ost outstanding (that far eastern-jazz-orchestral combination gets has so much feeling and im not even a fan of jazz music), the plot gets decent, or a bit more than that, but the character animation really ruin the story.
:v
Jan 11, 2017 12:50 PM

May 2015
People bitching about the animation. It's not the best, but neither did I think it was that bad to the point it's unbearable. Smh.

I thought the first episode was pretty interesting. I'm curious to see what this show will bring.

Jan 11, 2017 12:56 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
TheServant said:
Farabeuf said:
Not that bad of first episode. Yeah the art and animation are not mind boggling but what do you expect. The budget for this must be minuscule. This is not a light novel adaptation or a hyped property. The direction could be better too, but that can be said about 9 out of 10 series this season.

Studio 3Hz with its first project(& original anime at that. Not an adaptation) done a better job at animation than this. So less hype, probably less budget, yet better animation. I am not trying to bash this anime for no apparent reason, but it's a fact that the animation in this anime is bad.

But those "9 out of 10 series" this season have average direction that could be better, not bad direction that could be better like this one.

Nayrael said:
It is an Anime made by a new studio that is animating something that would never be expected to make a decent amount of money. Of course the animation quality will not be high, what the heck do you people expect?

Average animation. Average directing. And . . . that's it really.

I honestly don't think it's as bad as you make it out to be. But I'm not gonna try to convince. Different tastes and all that.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 11, 2017 6:23 PM
Jan 2016
X-Hunter said:
Agree, especially the sword fight scene

That's not good animation, that's the director trying to make the scene looks more dynamic by moving the camera around. Credit to the director since he's smart enough to compensate bad/limited animation with his direction in the fight scene.

Farabeuf said:
I honestly don't think it's as bad as you make it out to be. But I'm not gonna try to convince. Different tastes and all that.

Out of all the things in anime, I think animation is one aspect that can be assessed objectively. Let's agree that this anime has below average animation, but despite that you still like the animation.
Jan 11, 2017 6:56 PM

Oct 2011
Great episode. That gore too OMG.
Jan 11, 2017 7:04 PM

Dec 2014
hmmm old edo setting..... with samurais...I hope it does not get too political
Jan 11, 2017 9:37 PM

May 2015
There is potential, so I'm willing to give this a chance for a couple of more episodes.

The episode was decent... The instrumental OP was cool.

We ultimately fear what spawns from within us ~Shinsekai yori
Music is freedom. ~Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
Jan 12, 2017 12:29 AM

Apr 2012
Finally a show that isn't afraid of showing some blood and violence.
Jan 12, 2017 7:17 AM

Jun 2012
TheServant said:

That's not good animation, that's the director trying to make the scene looks more dynamic by moving the camera around. Credit to the director since he's smart enough to compensate bad/limited animation with his direction in the fight scene.

Farabeuf said:

Out of all the things in anime, I think animation is one aspect that can be assessed objectively. Let's agree that this anime has below average animation, but despite that you still like the animation.

So you saying it's bad directed. But you give credit to the director for compensating the animation with different camera work making it look better overall. Isn't that what a good director would do? Let's agree fuck logic then...
SnaitaJan 12, 2017 7:21 AM
Jan 12, 2017 8:41 AM

Dec 2014
everything is nice..its just that the eyelashes of the male's breaks my focus....was it actually a fashion in those days?
hope it seems normal to me in the future

Jan 12, 2017 6:10 PM

Mar 2009
This was great. Much better than ACCA.
Jan 12, 2017 8:25 PM
Nov 2015
It's a shame not many people are talking about this one. It's pretty great if you ask me.

The animation isn't amazing, but the director obviously knows how to work with a limited budget because it still looks great. I'm in love with the art style and color palette.
Jan 12, 2017 10:00 PM
Jan 2016
Snaita said:
So you saying it's bad directed. But you give credit to the director for compensating the animation with different camera work making it look better overall. Isn't that what a good director would do? Let's agree fuck logic then...

Yes, the rest of the show was badly directed. Sorry that I did not say that action scene was an exception.
Jan 14, 2017 12:41 AM

Aug 2015
Ok,To be honest,I was disappointed.There's so much complain I have about this series and they are more of an eyesore to me.I gotta list some of them:
1.The story rather moved on too quickly.one minute guy was getting tortured the f up brutally.The next minute he is having philosophic nostalgic conversation with the very person who tortured him.Like...what the heck happened?
2.The animation.Definitely the animation.The poster and story everything gives a huge aura of pre-revolution era when samurai and martial arts were still a normal thing.So I was expecting the animation to express the vibe of that era.And don't get me wrong,it did.However,they went waaaaaay overboard with the animation.They made it too smooth to the point of making the scenes look more like a HDTV flat screen tv commercial rather than a scene from action-immersed anime.They could've used animation style of Studio Pierrot or something and it would've been perfect.Smooth flowingness really ruins the expression of an anime that's supposed to take place in old Japan.
3.The character drawing seems pretty bad too.For example,that little adopted girl's face is that of a 18-19 year old girl.

Well despite,I kinda like the story.Ofc,it's a well known phrase that don't judge a book by it's cover.The story so far seems good.I know i should just overlook the visual styles.But it's like...if you see a disgusting-looking food,no matter how everyone claims it to be the tastiest food,you'd still wouldn't want to try it.I'm facing the same situation with Onihei.But,I will keep on watching.
Jan 14, 2017 6:56 AM

Nov 2011
While not excelled in almost any field, on the whole, I found it more than satisfactory as a start. The story is nothing original, in fact, you can find many examples in many other anime, but the whole thing was packaged well. The character designs, I like it even though at first, I had my qualms. Catchy and apt to various situations, the soundtrack. Animations, I seemed very fluid, without any vacillation, not of the same opinion, the CG.
Jan 15, 2017 4:25 AM

Dec 2015
Interesting start, slightly hampered by the flat direction of the anime (drama-like I would say, but is the drama also that flat? no idea) and shortness of the story.

While everyone is annoyed/worried by the technical aspects, I find something else more worrying:
If what we saw are is just a few pages of a story, great. If it adapted a full story into 20min., bad omen. I have no problem with an episodic novel series being adapted into an episodic TV anime, but if the novels tell a case each and they cram one case into one episode during the all series... we'll get another Joker Game anime where not each affair seems like a synopsis.
Does anyone know the structure of the novels or live action shows?

Based on wikipedia, using redemptive thiefs is some habit of "Oni-hei".

edit: the animation (or lack of) didn't surprised me, nor did I find it jarring.

5/5 I would love a movie featuring this story (even a medium-length one)

For those who wonder about the music or talk about "film noir":
The author loved cinema.French films of the 1950s which were called "film noir" was his favorite. It could be said that Ikegami was influenced by the drama framework of his favorite director, Julien Duvivier the master craftsman of finesse, and those main characters in his novels could be related to the actor Jean Gabin portrayed as a cool guy in French films of the 1950s

@Jacksnapp The director and chara-designer directed and created the charadesigns for one of the stories in this anthology.
Rei_IIIJan 15, 2017 10:28 AM
Jan 15, 2017 9:03 AM

Dec 2015
Rei366 said:

@Jacksnapp The director and chara-designer directed and created the charadesigns for one of the stories in this anthology.

I know! I had looked it up on ANN afterwards (MAL's staff page doesn't provide much at this point) But thank you very much!
Jan 15, 2017 10:15 AM
Sep 2015
As someone who had watched over 20 anime per season (30+ in the last season), I think Onihei is above average, also since I'm a little bit prefer traditional/classic style I'd say that I love this. I love to see more yummy muscle on male's body but I know that this is what Japanese body really is, thin and fragile, so it get realistic points from me, but not aesthetic points.

My only wish is that I don't want any unnecessary violence happen to my favorite character (at this starting moment, I'd say any handsome one), if someone has to die I prefer them to be ugly and fat character like the Tanbei of Chigashira in this episode. But since whoever the screenwriter try to kill (to raise the dramatic atmosphere) there'll always be people who said it's generic plot, so just kill only the ugly one please.
Jan 16, 2017 12:06 AM

Mar 2014
Good episode. Felt refreshing. Will watch.
Jan 17, 2017 5:08 AM

Dec 2016
Good start. Always pleased to see a mature period piece.
The characters are interesting, though the short family scene at the end felt contrived.
Overall feel of the show is cool, but damn, why the jazz music?? Not a fan of that even though it does fit the mood quite well.
Jan 17, 2017 1:49 PM

Jul 2012
I really liked it. The animation is fine for me. The music is super jazzy and nice.

Didn't realize it was Hosoyan until much later. A surprise.
Oh, and NamiDai I picked up his voice right away, he sounds nice here.

Looking forward to more.
Jan 19, 2017 11:17 PM

Oct 2008
This was a good start of a very symbolic historical show.
From a thief who sticks to his code and being promoted to a spy was nice.
Cool katana swordplay fights also!
5/5.
matias067Jan 19, 2017 11:20 PM

Jan 21, 2017 12:57 AM

Dec 2012
Interesting beginning. I necessarily like a new anime about Samurai. An the animation of the fight was good, not the best in the world but good.
The MC looks like an interesting character, I'm looking forward to watch more episode.
Jan 27, 2017 3:15 PM

Feb 2013
Underwhelming.

The animation was sharp, but seemed cheap.
Jan 31, 2017 5:20 PM

Aug 2016
Mimi_Taylor said:
Finally something good that isn't a sequel. Looking forward to more.

I don't know, sis, it didn't astonish me with nor violence nor other things, but it dont look bad either, I try next episode.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 11, 2017 7:02 AM

Apr 2014
Oh my, what a great episode! Bad animation? It's clearly not the best, but have you even seen Yuri on Ice?
Mar 4, 2017 6:07 AM

Feb 2010
I thought the animation was amazing. Naruto animation is pretty bad and that is one of the most famous animes anyway.

Desktop Specs: CPU: AMD FX-4130 Quad Core @ 3.8GHz, Motherboard: ASRock N68-VS3 FX, GPU: 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti SC (EVGA), Ram: 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 535MHz, Case: Raidmax ATX (Black), Storage: 931GB Western Digital Blue (SATA), PSU: 550 watt, Display: BenQ RL2455
May 29, 2017 2:08 AM

Mar 2008
Excellent first episode. The severe tone appeals to me and the characters seem interesting.
Excited to see the rest!
LumeuuMay 29, 2017 2:13 AM
Jun 12, 2017 10:30 PM

Mar 2015
Oh now this one is cool!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Sep 3, 2017 10:45 AM

Jan 2017
It looks like an interesting show. I'm delighted with its beautiful scenery
Karasuno Fight!!!
Apr 10, 2018 10:04 AM

Dec 2013
How did I miss this show last year? The animation for this fight scenes looks amazing. Besides the cringe worthy CG backround characters I'm digging the style of this show.
Oct 19, 2019 4:39 AM

Jul 2015
That chief really has turned into some scum, those three rules sounded pretty cool for a 'respectable' thief

Not really sure about what this series is about, but I think it's some sort of case by case solving by samurai police

Feb 19, 2020 8:45 AM

Jul 2012
I just recently stumbled across this one. It is available to see for free on Amazon Prime. This is the first I have heard about this show. It's very good. In the same style as Samuri Champloo. It's a hidden gem I highly recommend.
"I just hope the good lord knows, what this life is all about
'cause I'm in the same position as when I started out.
Now I know there's folk in hospitals who are far worse off than me,
Oh, but that don't mean to much when my spirit don't feel free."
- Mark Twain

Blues lovers go here. Jazz lovers go here. Cowboy Bebop music lovers go here.
Apr 24, 2021 8:38 PM
Dec 2019
The grey morality in this is on the level of House of Five Leaves. I didn't notice the animation/direction until the fight scene because I was focused on the plot. Plus, the art itself was very well rendered, accompanied by some nice jazz. If this series is rated low because of the animation, then the story is probably great.

Sure, there was gore and I'm normally adverse to that, but here there was an appropriate amount and it wasn't used in a way that someone like Urobuchi would. Speaking of which, let me take this chance to take another shot at Urobuchi: this is how you do a discussion on ideals.
Feb 14, 2023 2:29 PM
Oct 2019
decent first episode. the criminal/potential spy guy is the mc though
Nov 8, 2023 12:56 PM
Aug 2022
There's no need to change the dude into a caucasian with wavy hair.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Onihei Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 6, 2017

33 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Nov 8, 2023 3:11 PM

Poll: » Onihei Episode 3 Discussion

Stark700 - Jan 23, 2017

49 by HagePotPotato »»
Feb 14, 2023 3:28 PM

Poll: » Onihei Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 16, 2017

52 by HagePotPotato »»
Feb 14, 2023 2:58 PM

Poll: » Onihei Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2017

54 by alpo42ab »»
Oct 21, 2022 6:10 PM

Poll: » Onihei Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 20, 2017

29 by thepath »»
Jun 5, 2022 9:07 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.