Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 9, 2017 5:41 AM

Jul 2008
Just wondering whether there is a list somewhere that points out what all the serious episodes/arcs are in all Gintama seasons. I have watched all of them, but I probably forgot tons of information (about the plot and the characters). Rematching all the episodes is a bit to much, and if I remember correctly most episodes are just fillers or humour arcs. So please, if anyone has this info tell me :) I also do not mind action arcs that do not necessary add to the main plot, if they are interesting enough to watch on their own.
Jan 9, 2017 5:50 AM

Oct 2016
http://gintama.wikia.com/wiki/Gintama_Episode_List

Just look it up yourself. It's hard to differentiate "serious" arcs from "comedy" arcs since most arcs have a little bit of both. Wikia includes all the arcs with 2 or more episodes, might help you refresh your memory at least.
Jan 9, 2017 6:24 AM

Jan 2015
Jan 9, 2017 10:22 AM

Jul 2008
Thanks to both :) But I wonder are there not serious arcs (episodes) that are done in one episode? If not were the first 30 episodes really fillers? O.O
Jan 9, 2017 5:59 PM

Jan 2015
essiw said:
Thanks to both :) But I wonder are there not serious arcs (episodes) that are done in one episode? If not were the first 30 episodes really fillers? O.O
There's foreshadowing, worldbuilding and whatnot in the comedic episodes.
Jan 9, 2017 6:27 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
essiw said:
Well, Gintama is basically an episodic series so I wouldn't necessarily call it filler. But yeah, the most important stuff are in the serious arcs, but the other episodes had worldbuilding and character development to them.
Jan 9, 2017 7:11 PM

Sep 2011
essiw said:
Just wondering whether there is a list somewhere that points out what all the serious episodes/arcs are in all Gintama seasons. I have watched all of them, but I probably forgot tons of information (about the plot and the characters). Rematching all the episodes is a bit to much, and if I remember correctly most episodes are just fillers or humour arcs. So please, if anyone has this info tell me :) I also do not mind action arcs that do not necessary add to the main plot, if they are interesting enough to watch on their own.

Benizakura 58-61
okita's sister 86-87
shinsengumi crisis 101-105
guardian dog 107-108
yoshiwara 139-146
red spider 177-181
rokkaku 186-187
four devas 210-214
thorny 244-247
Courtesan of a Nation 257-261
beam saber 262-264
shinigami 279-281
Shogun assassination 300-307
Farewell, Shinsengumi 308-316
rakyou 317 -

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jan 10, 2017 12:57 AM

Jul 2008
Ok, thanks all :) Yeah filler may have been the wrong word :p I now know what to rewatch :)
Jan 10, 2017 1:17 AM

Jan 2015
essiw said:
I now know what to rewatch :)
Also read the god dog chapters.
Jan 10, 2017 5:31 AM
Nov 2013
JizzyHitler said:
essiw said:

Benizakura 58-61
okita's sister 86-87
guardian dog 107-108
yoshiwara 139-146
red spider 177-181
rokkaku 186-187
four devas 210-214
thorny 244-247
beam saber 262-264
shinigami 279-281
rakyou 317 -

What about yagyuu (shinsengumi backstory and tae backstory. Plus getting to know the yaguu. And kintoki (dat gin characterization)
Jan 10, 2017 6:37 AM

Sep 2011
crystalblade13 said:
JizzyHitler said:

Benizakura 58-61
okita's sister 86-87
guardian dog 107-108
yoshiwara 139-146
red spider 177-181
rokkaku 186-187
four devas 210-214
thorny 244-247
beam saber 262-264
shinigami 279-281
rakyou 317 -

What about yagyuu (shinsengumi backstory and tae backstory. Plus getting to know the yaguu. And kintoki (dat gin characterization)
Yagyuu arc was straight comedy pretty much the entire way throuh with an occasional slightly serious moment. Kintoki arc didnt even really get serious every single serious moment led to a punchline save for the ending.

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jan 10, 2017 10:45 AM
Nov 2013
JizzyHitler said:
crystalblade13 said:

Yagyuu arc was straight comedy pretty much the entire way throuh with an occasional slightly serious moment. Kintoki arc didnt even really get serious every single serious moment led to a punchline save for the ending.

I think you need to rewatch yagyuu. Episodes 78 and 81 are almost entirely serious. As is everything involving kyubei (which is a lot). Not to mention, it shows how toshi met kondo, and it shows some of otae's backstory, as well as how much the character care about her (which is something nice to see in Gintama, where everyone is usually assholes to one another lol). Finally, shinpachi gets to be a badass in the arc, which is rare.

Onto kintoki, it's another arc that shows the characters true feelings for one another (since Gintoki has to live out being the bad guy trying to mess with Kin, who is Gin in everyone's mind) And it displays Gintoki's self sacrificing nature, as well as how much of an effect shinpachi and kagura have had on his life.plus it has great tama moments. And tama is great.

Also minor vague manga spoiler
crystalblade13Jan 10, 2017 10:53 AM
Jan 10, 2017 10:49 AM

Sep 2011
crystalblade13 said:
JizzyHitler said:

I think you need to rewatch yagyuu. It episodes 78 and 81 are almost entirely serious. As is everything involving kyubei (which is a lot). Not to mention, it shows how toshi met kondo, and it shows some of otae's backstory, as well as how much the character care about her (which is something nice to see in Gintama, where everyone is usually assholes to one another lol). Finally, shinpachi gets to be a badass in the arc, which is rare.

Onto kintoki, it's another arc that shows the characters true feelings for one another (since Gintoki has to live out being the bad guy trying to mess with Kin, who is Gin in everyone's mind) And it displays Gintoki's self sacrificing nature, as well as how much of an effect shinpachi and kagura have had on his life.plus it has great tama moments. And tama is great.
they are not almost entirely serious in the slightest, theres action but yagyuu is cracking jokes the entire way through save for small moment, its a dramedy at best but when people tend to refer to serious arcs in gintama they are referencing the really dark/tragic and more tonally serious arcs like shinsengumi crisis, yoshiwara and so on. Alot of gintama's comedy has a few serious moments but that doesnt mean the arcs themselves should be seen as a serious arc especially kintoki's arc which all around is a parody of gintama itself even in the serious moments, again every single serious bit in that arc is just the set up to a gag even down to how they defeat him. Yagyuu if you really stretch it i guess can count as one but it barely got serious.

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jan 10, 2017 11:00 AM
Nov 2013
JizzyHitler said:
crystalblade13 said:

I think you need to rewatch yagyuu. It episodes 78 and 81 are almost entirely serious. As is everything involving kyubei (which is a lot). Not to mention, it shows how toshi met kondo, and it shows some of otae's backstory, as well as how much the character care about her (which is something nice to see in Gintama, where everyone is usually assholes to one another lol). Finally, shinpachi gets to be a badass in the arc, which is rare.

they are not almost entirely serious in the slightest, theres action but yagyuu is cracking jokes the entire way through save for small moment, its a dramedy at best but when people tend to refer to serious arcs in gintama they are referencing the really dark/tragic and more tonally serious arcs like shinsengumi crisis, yoshiwara and so on. Alot of gintama's comedy has a few serious moments but that doesnt mean the arcs themselves should be seen as a serious arc especially kintoki's arc which all around is a parody of gintama itself even in the serious moments, again every single serious bit in that arc is just the set up to a gag even down to how they defeat him. Yagyuu if you really stretch it i guess can count as one but it barely got serious.

Dude,you count the guardian dog arc and the first episode of that is almost entirely comedy, and it's only 2 episodes. Not to mention that it does nothing for the main story, while yagyuu provides new characters, back stories for old characters, and several action heavy episodes. Plus everything involving kyubei was serious. How she was raised to be something she's not, how her love for otae was making her question herself, and more.

Kintoki is definitely harder to see, but it has a lot of substance it adds to gintokis character.

And once again if you wanna read this. Minor vague manga spoiler
Jan 18, 2017 9:22 AM

Sep 2012

That list is quite outdated, most of those arcs are already animated. And it's missing some of the written arcs.
I am better than you.

More topics from this board

» Anyone could explain ep 12 i couldnt able to understand whats happening?

Mugiwarayaa___ - Feb 15

6 by seelenfresser51 »»
Feb 17, 2:10 PM

» Katsura loves ikumatsu ?

Mugiwarayaa___ - Feb 16

4 by Tsuna10vongola »»
Feb 16, 4:40 PM

Poll: » Gintama. Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

GoldenDevilGamer - Jan 22, 2017

109 by otakuweek »»
Jan 11, 2:50 PM

Poll: » Gintama. Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

GoldenDevilGamer - Mar 26, 2017

187 by Alex_TheForest »»
Aug 1, 2023 3:07 PM

Poll: » Gintama. Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

GoldenDevilGamer - Mar 19, 2017

67 by Alex_TheForest »»
Aug 1, 2023 1:52 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.