Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jan 9, 2017 1:03 PM

Jun 2009
I have a job, so I do pay for CR and Funimation.
Jan 9, 2017 1:29 PM

Dec 2012
I subscribe to Crunchyroll, Funimation, HiDive, Netflix and Amazon Prime to watch things and then I buy the ones I really enjoyed on disc. I've amassed quite a bit.

http://kruszer.filmaf.com/owned/anime-collection
KruszerOct 14, 2019 4:34 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jan 9, 2017 1:33 PM

Sep 2016
why would u pay them when they dont give a single shit about you gaijins lol

and no, crunchy doesnt help, it helps to make you feel good about yourself though
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Jan 9, 2017 5:36 PM

Jun 2016
I buy most of my anime, but I do watch the first episode on a third party website before I buy it.
Bury Tomorrow - Black Flame

Forum set by SenpieX
Jan 10, 2017 1:02 AM

Jun 2007
Angelquasilike said:
The anime industry is to blame they have a shitty system. Look how the TV and music industry in the west managed to beat torrenting and streaming with netflix and spotify.
If only there were one or several legal anime "streaming websites" that offered libraries of anime for anyone who paid subscription fees, like Netflix. It'd be even better if those sites allowed people to watch ad-supported streams without even paying to subscribe, but I guess that's just a pipe dream in this "shitty system" we live under.

And Spotify? That's devaluing music so much that it might as well be surrendering to the pirates.
Jan 10, 2017 1:59 AM

Jan 2015
Zalis said:
Angelquasilike said:
The anime industry is to blame they have a shitty system. Look how the TV and music industry in the west managed to beat torrenting and streaming with netflix and spotify.
If only there were one or several legal anime "streaming websites" that offered libraries of anime for anyone who paid subscription fees, like Netflix. It'd be even better if those sites allowed people to watch ad-supported streams without even paying to subscribe, but I guess that's just a pipe dream in this "shitty system" we live under.

And Spotify? That's devaluing music so much that it might as well be surrendering to the pirates.

There's nothing on pair with netflix for anime. They can blame themselves for still investing hard in cable.
A curve including all entries should be of a gaussian form. One including limited entries by picking animes you liked and not rating animes you dropped should look like mine.
Amount of total animes each rating should have (percentages): 6-25,7-15,8-6,9-3,10-1
Jan 10, 2017 10:42 AM

Jan 2016
It's untrue that anime creators don't think about the west, little witch academia has practically no support in japan but it currently has a 25 episode series airing, all because of western support I'd assume. So if people stand up and support these series (with money, it doesn't matter how popular it is if it doesn't make straight up cizzash,) the creators will *gasp* cater to you.

So obviously i buy anime. I use crunchy and hulu and occasionally netflix, but what i really love are owning the discs, I have something like 60 or more separate titles. I support the art that i love (when i can, i have a strict monthly budget for frivolous things.) but it isn't all about virtuous things like supporting the creators. i also have a desire to own physical media, and a few other selfish reasons, and if the outcome of that is that more things are made and licensed, that's a positive since i can own more things that i love.

Now I'm not saying that everyone needs to buy legal, I torrent as well. But there are many ways to support the industry on the cheap, and a few are free such as daisuki and aniplex channel. So if you're able, you should, otherwise you have no right to demand that the industry cater to your taste, and it's bullshit to whine about all the things you don't like about it if you aren't willing to do anything about it.
Jan 10, 2017 10:50 AM

Feb 2016
Nah, I'm already paying with my life, what more do you want?
Jan 10, 2017 11:04 AM

Aug 2011
I have subscriptions so I don't feel the need to buy Blurays when they just take up space and I can easily stream on my console anyway/use the Funimation app to watch dubs. So yeah I pay for my anime online, it beats paying hundreds of dollars for the physical releases.

Jan 10, 2017 11:10 AM

Dec 2016
I've always been curious about this. Does Crunchyroll generally have all the animes in 720p-1080p? Some of the older animes I watch usually run on 480p and 360p and I may see some (god forbid) in 240p. I'm a cheapass but I would pay for higher quality streaming.
Jan 10, 2017 12:05 PM
Jul 2018
I import my favorite animes on DVD from the UK and US market on Amazon with Japanese subs, because I'd never support the German market. Most of the prices are ridiculous high. For example, you pay 80 € and above for the first season AoT. (1 € is about 0,94 $ and 0,87 GBP, yeah I did some research XD)
Okay, fine, it's a niche and it's all about the law of supply and demand. I unterstand that, but I won't pay for this absurd price.
So, I import series with episodes for 20 - 30 € and just buy anime movies on the German market for 10 - 15 €.

Also, I try to use some legal sites online and pay for them afterwards, if I liked it.
removed-userJan 10, 2017 12:15 PM
Jan 10, 2017 9:15 PM
Sep 2015
I can't lie, I do watch my anime online. I do also understand that I should be supporting the companies who make them, and so, I compensate by watching them online and if I really like it, I buy the blu ray discs online.
Jan 10, 2017 9:18 PM
Jul 2018
I currently torrent shows, but that's because I'm saving for my new apartment. When I get out there I'm buying the shows I watch, and I'll have a CR and FN account(no cable though, waste of money to me.) Already started buying some merch for the new apartment as well.
Jan 11, 2017 1:22 PM
Jun 2016
I pay for crunchyroll and funimation. Funimation sucks now but whatever. And i love buying blue rays there so cool to have and some light novels. Kissanime runs terribly for me
Jan 11, 2017 1:40 PM

Jul 2014
even if i wanted to i cant.....unless i go to the excel exhibition centre Comic con
Jan 11, 2017 1:45 PM

Oct 2015
Nope, I either stream or torrent. Though I only stream if the show i'm watching has over 50 episodes.

Though I have purchased anime figures if that counts.
Jan 11, 2017 2:00 PM

Mar 2014
I usually not pay for the recent anime series, at my city only sells 90's anime collections and importing is expensive (not helps that the dollar is increasing each day).

On other hand, rencent mangas series are far more common here, you can buy them at the convenience stores at affordable price so I do buy manga frecuently.
Jan 11, 2017 6:10 PM

Apr 2015
No, like many people do, I use Kissanime. If you can't handle the minuscule amount of ads, then I would suggest you stop watching anime. There barely is any, and is free. If you're pretty serious about the topic and would spend some money on it, you could watch other mainstream websites such as Crunchyroll, where the latest episodes are streamed pretty quickly with sharp and decent content. Kissanime is pretty close behind and in my opinion, not worth paying for Crunchyroll. The only things I would pay for are for merchandise and conventions.. {{Kotoricon was great even with the snow}} Most of the anime I've seen or am currently watching have been released a while ago. Even if I had money I probably still consider watching on Kissanime lol.
Jan 11, 2017 6:30 PM

Jan 2017
We should all be grateful that we can watch anime for free.
Jan 11, 2017 6:30 PM

Sep 2012
I don't really watch it enough to justify spending money on it.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Jan 11, 2017 6:37 PM

Apr 2015
Yes I do, I buy BDs & pay for a legal streaming.
Jan 11, 2017 6:45 PM

Aug 2010
I currently pay for CR + I probably bought around 50 dvds but I haven't bought any new ones for about 5 years. I would put in more money but I'm currently trying to save :(

Jan 11, 2017 7:47 PM

Aug 2015
Yup. Crunchyroll Worth it.....
One month free.

Jan 11, 2017 8:01 PM

Feb 2015
I used to have a Crunchyroll account, so I payed for a bit, but now I dont. It's been a year since, but I also have 5 dvd/bluray sets since. I do plan on getting Crunchyroll again soon, but most of the shows I have seen have been on non-subscription streaming sites.
Jan 11, 2017 8:04 PM

Apr 2014
This basically sums up my thoughts.

fluffy_maus said:
PFFFFFFFFFFFTTT paying for anime... oh you, stop it... my sides, MY FUCKING SIDES! (*≧▽≦)ノ

Jan 11, 2017 8:09 PM

Aug 2009
I pay for it through legal streaming usually. Otherwise, I try to find it on dvd, and any further than that I just stream it illegally. Sometimes it's absolutely impossible to find an anime in english subbed in a legal dvd, because it's not licensed. Okay, so It'll just have to be watched illegally, and if they want to license it here and I like it, I'll buy it. I'll admit it. Recently I've found a lot of anime on Netflix (not the best example), crunchyroll (the best example), hulu, the anime network (I have yet to try this subscription but they have some old old anime on there I might be interested in watching at some point). Then there's some free sites (crunchyroll is free but I started to get like 6 minutes of ads so I was like 'fk it') I found with bits and pieces of anime. Like Viewster has a few.

Regarding Dvds, I just started doing that. I bought steins;gate because I wanted a copy of one of my favorite animes... It was Br and Dvd.. Then I bought Kaze no stigma and Guyver (2005) on dvd through right stuf on hella sale. I haven't finished guyver and I haven't seen stigma.
dakotasapphireJan 11, 2017 8:17 PM
Jan 11, 2017 9:33 PM

Jun 2015
I only pay for shows I like. A streaming service is a great way to be able to pay for cheap and watch most whatever you want, but I want to really support the studios/shows I like, and the best way is buy merch/BDs. I spend probably $300-$400 a month on anime stuff, so I think I'm doing fine as a supportive fan >_>
Jan 11, 2017 9:34 PM
Oct 2016
Only the ones i like lmao.
Plus the ones that are fun to binge watch.
Jan 11, 2017 9:50 PM

May 2014
I have a couple anime DVDs i bought a while ago.
Jan 11, 2017 9:56 PM

Jul 2016
If I had money and a DVD player, I would.
Jan 11, 2017 10:31 PM

Jan 2010
If an anime that I really enjoy or have wanted to watch for a long time is licensed in my region then yes, I'll probably eventually end up buying it. But this is mostly because I enjoy the aspect of collecting my favourites. I also legally stream most airing shows, but if I can't stream or buy something then I'll download it.
Jan 11, 2017 10:36 PM

Jul 2016
Like most people i only pay for the anime I am really into and wouldn't mind collecting and stuff. I also buy a lot of manga online.

otherwise it's to the streaming websites for me :^)
Jan 11, 2017 11:17 PM

Sep 2016
No, and I never will because I don't care. I feel no remorse whatsoever. Also, the industry doesn't even deserve money for region locking shows. Many people who pay for legal streaming services get screwed over because of that. It's like you're paying money for a whole pizza, but only getting a few slices. Sure, they could use an addon to bypass that, but that still makes it illegal. In that case, you might as well just use an illegal streaming site or torrent.

However, I do use uBlock Origin for Kissanime because they don't deserve money either. Refreshing the page and cancelling immediately should stop loading the anti adblocker script.

Jan 11, 2017 11:32 PM

Nov 2013
back when i had a job and money i use to pay for a crunchyroll and funimation premium subscription but now that im jobless i have to watch anime on websites that stream for free.... id actually rather pay for anime tho then watch for free. it's just better quality and it helps out the industry at least a tiny bit
I am the definition of an otaku.
Jan 11, 2017 11:35 PM

Apr 2015
I do. Though I didn't start paying until after I graduated college and became employed.
Jan 12, 2017 1:07 AM

May 2014
I don't really pay for anime.
I do pay for manga though.
Jan 12, 2017 1:22 AM

Aug 2016
I don't pay for any anime or manga because I don't have any money. :P If I had, I would have probably made a crunchyroll premium account and that's it. There aren't any anime on TV, at cinema or on DVD in my country, plus the manga is way too expensive.
Jan 12, 2017 1:31 AM
Jul 2018
Yes, I buy DVD/Blu-ray from Funimation. Since I'm wasting my money on studies, I don't have premium account in Crunchyroll. >_< Sadly, so I'm wasting my money of Digital manga and DVD/Blu-ray from Funimation.
Jan 12, 2017 9:49 AM

May 2012
Saediss said:
I've always been curious about this. Does Crunchyroll generally have all the animes in 720p-1080p? Some of the older animes I watch usually run on 480p and 360p and I may see some (god forbid) in 240p. I'm a cheapass but I would pay for higher quality streaming.

Crunchyroll subscribers can watch shows in 720p and 1080p, though the latter are mostly upscales. (Most anime are produced in 720p these days.) I find 720p streams the best balance between image quality and reliable delivery, even though I have a 50/50 Mbps connection.
Jan 12, 2017 2:29 PM

Jul 2015
I do not buy Anime DVDs, if I watch a series once, that's usually enough for me.
I have Adult Swim and Anime Channel On Demand, so I can just stream those videos.
Viewster and YouTube also has plenty of anime videos.
Jan 12, 2017 6:26 PM
Apr 2015
Roses are red
Violets are blue
born3poor5anime
Illegal streaming all da way

btw my country is pushing hard to censor and maybe even outlaw animes and mangas because they don't "adhere to cultural standards" and will "taint young minds".

so yeah, rip
OnlyTentsJan 12, 2017 6:30 PM
Jan 12, 2017 7:56 PM

Dec 2015
Nope, I'm the kind who hate paying for entertainment (games, movie, anime, etc) even if I had money, which I don't.
Jan 24, 2017 2:07 AM

Sep 2016
There's nothing that i can buy in my country that is related to anime. And i just download the entire thing from torrents or any other sites.
I wouldn't buy a series because its basically available everywhere online for free but if i really liked it then i would buy its merchandise
Jan 24, 2017 3:50 AM

Mar 2012
If subscribing to an anime channel on TV counts then yes otherwise no. I only own the blu-ray box sets of the first 2 seasons of Kyo Kara Maoh, it was way too expensive never bought any anime DVDs/BDs after that. Besides things related to anime/manga are not even sold here. Would buy more if it was, at least would cut down the expensive shipping costs.
Jan 24, 2017 4:02 AM

Oct 2016
i use Crunchyroll to watch anime for like.. what? 7$/ Month?

living outside of country like US, can't be helped to watch Illegaly (since most of the country still can't watch Anime Legally) but if u live in US and u Pirate Anime/Watch Anime without actually PAYING IT is kind of a d*ck move to the Anime Industry.

just buy Crunchyroll Premium Account if u live in US,Australia, etc.
7$/Month for Most of the Anime available
100% worth
Jan 27, 2017 1:35 AM

Jun 2007
Angelquasilike said:
There's nothing on par with netflix for anime. They can blame themselves for still investing hard in cable.
Who the heck is still investing in cable, let alone "hard" in cable?

Maybe I'm not familiar enough with Netflix, but from the way I see it:

Netflix = a Western-media streaming site with many, but not all US movies and TV shows, with fewer titles available to viewers in non-North-American regions.

Crunchyroll (for example) = an anime streaming site with many, but not all anime, with fewer titles available to viewers in non-North-American regions. And they've never invested in cable to my knowledge.

So unless you're saying that CR needs to start mailing out discs and/or co/producing original or "original" anime, the main difference I see is that Netflix's audience doesn't have an ideology-based opposition to anything that comes from a legal source the way much of the anime viewerbase does.

Apoc_Revolution said:
Also, the industry doesn't even deserve money for region locking shows. Many people who pay for legal streaming services get screwed over because of that.
What about people who aren't affected by region-locking, i.e. the people who actually live in the area where a given company is located? Why does the industry not deserve money from them? If some countries aren't being served as well as the US/Canada and actually contain a viable audience willing to patronize a legitimate site, then it's time for companies in those areas to step up their game and acquire streaming licenses, instead of viewers expecting North American companies like CR/Funi to service every last corner of the globe.

Saediss said:
They have newer anime in 720p/1080p, but they're not miracle workers -- if an HD version doesn't exist for an older anime (as is often the case), they can't create one out of thin air. So older anime on CR are typically in 360p/480p.
Jan 27, 2017 1:40 AM

Feb 2016
I pay. I think everyone should pay. Even if it's just for seasonal. Or buying a DVD/Bluray once in a while.

As for me I watch seasonal Anime as it airs on TV & Netflix. Regarding finished Anime I buy EVERYTHING on Bluray or Bluray Boxes - if there is a Box released already.
Paying for anime was the only option for me ever since.
Jan 27, 2017 1:44 AM

Apr 2015
I Dont Pay Because Anime Merchandise Is Not Available Where I Live.
Jan 27, 2017 2:14 AM

Dec 2014
Yes I buy. Perhaps too much anime wise at least.
I have a fair bit of manga but most of it was like $6/volume on average so eh.
I have a AnimeLab account and it doesn't cost much per month to do, but I have so much other stuff to do I just Dead/BakedFish it, I can't be assed.

do You count Gundam models, soundtracks and posters as merch? if so I am weeaboo.
Jan 27, 2017 10:04 AM

Sep 2016
Zalis said:
Apoc_Revolution said:
Also, the industry doesn't even deserve money for region locking shows. Many people who pay for legal streaming services get screwed over because of that.
What about people who aren't affected by region-locking, i.e. the people who actually live in the area where a given company is located? Why does the industry not deserve money from them? If some countries aren't being served as well as the US/Canada and actually contain a viable audience willing to patronize a legitimate site, then it's time for companies in those areas to step up their game and acquire streaming licenses, instead of viewers expecting North American companies like CR/Funi to service every last corner of the globe.

They're lucky, that's all. The industry only deserves their money, no one else's. Anyone who is affected by region-locking shouldn't pay if they're aware of it. Otherwise, they deserve only being able to watch a handful of shows. They know they're getting screwed over, yet still choose to support an industry like that. It's idiotic. And yes, more companies should acquire streaming licenses, but I don't see that happening.

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Isekai anime are better than any other genre. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 20

50 by EastIndiaCompany »»
34 seconds ago

Poll: » So, is anime male or female?

Tirinchas - Apr 22

39 by Tirinchas »»
2 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst

EastIndiaCompany - Yesterday

28 by EastIndiaCompany »»
7 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

186 by Zarutaku »»
26 minutes ago

Poll: » What is your most common reason for rewatching anime?

MeanMrMusician - Apr 22

24 by M_MASTER »»
29 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.