Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 7, 2017 10:58 AM

Jun 2015
I don't get it, I'm currently rewatching it. because I got hyped while reading 0.

And I just find no faults whatsoever in this anime. None. Everything is perfect, nothing is wrong.

For the haters/people who dislike it: Why do you dislike it? Could you give me an explanation? I don't get it.
Takamura-samaJan 7, 2017 12:55 PM
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 7, 2017 11:02 AM

Feb 2015
Because they have their own opinion towards the series. Is it bad that some people don't like it just because you like it?
Jan 7, 2017 11:08 AM

Dec 2016
No-flaws does not necessarily lead to an impossibility to dislike.
SoldierDreamJan 7, 2017 11:12 AM
Jan 7, 2017 11:09 AM

Jun 2015
Hmmmmmmmm..........

@Clebardman I summon thee.
AltoRoarkJan 7, 2017 1:35 PM
Jan 7, 2017 11:09 AM

Jan 2015
nry said:
No-flaws does not necessarily derive in an impossibility to dislike.

Mhmmmmm, everyone has different taste. I personally loved it, but I can see how some may dislike it.
Jan 7, 2017 11:22 AM

Feb 2016
Barring the obvious "It's fun to be a contrarian and dislike things that are popular" approach, there are several reasons I can think of:

1. Players of the VN feel unsatisfied that the anime doesn't capture the thing they love as well as they had hoped. While it's very easy to say that Steins;Gate is the perfect example of how to adapt a VN, it did not manage to add absolutely everything. Some characters don't exist in the anime as opposed to the VN (though they can be argued as minor).

2. It has a slow start. Whether you like the first half more than the second or vice versa, everybody who watches Steins;Gate knows that the first 12 episodes are rather slow compared to the second half. This can put off many viewers easily; if an anime takes 12 episodes to truly "get going", then why commit to it when it's half of the total runtime?

3. Okabe's personality. It's a minor thing, but he's who you follow through the whole thing. If you don't like how he talks, acts and so on, chances are you might not like the series as a whole.

4. Time travel and sci-fi doesn't appeal to everybody.

And after all, isn't entertainment all subjective anyway? Someone doesn't have to like a series you do simply because you think it's a masterpiece. They have their own tastes, so it's not really surprising to see somebody dislike Steins;Gate or not be interested in it.
Doing nothing of importance.

Anime | Manga
Jan 7, 2017 11:52 AM

Nov 2011
Because Steins Gate is an "otaku oriented" anime drenched in the otaku culture. That's kind of off-putting for a subgroup of the more "normal" anime fans
Jan 7, 2017 11:55 AM

Oct 2012
Due to its origins of being a VN, Okabe's travels looks like as if we're watching him complete certain "arcs" with the female characters. It can sorta cheapen his 'selfless' deeds. In other words, while being a decent VN adaptation, it still carries the element of being a VN to a fault.

Personally, I would really prefer if S;G was less tainted by the inclusion of otaku pandering. "Oh no, Japan is without moe! THE HORROR!!" "Maid cafes, weee!" "2D grills are best, wooooo!" "Flat chests are soo superior!"
Also, the way Okabe checks Ruka is still awkward/cringey as fuck, like seriously?

Okabe's "Reading Steiner" ability has questionable origins. Why him only? Just because of a fever as a young kid? Guess what, nearly anyone gets sick with a fever at some point in their life, so whatever subpar explanation S;G tries to sell just falls flat on its face.

Last and final point, and I wouldn't had arrived to this point without discussing this with @Clebardman, but S;G is essentially about selfish escapism. Yeah sure, Okabe "suffers" seeing the threads of fate casually kill his friends, but how does this get solved by the end? Let's just jump into another World Line where he doesn't have to worry about that! Yeah, forget about the previous World Lines where his friends met a cruel end! Instead, let's just escape into some 'perfect' World Line where you can pretend nothing bad happen to your friends. For something magical as that "Reading Steiner" ability is, it's merely used for Okabe's sole benefit of finding his perfect VN route, and not so much fixing prior World Line's.
Reminds me of SAO's ending,

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Jan 7, 2017 12:54 PM

Jun 2015
Shoryu said:
Due to its origins of being a VN, Okabe's travels looks like as if we're watching him complete certain "arcs" with the female characters. It can sorta cheapen his 'selfless' deeds. In other words, while being a decent VN adaptation, it still carries the element of being a VN to a fault.

Personally, I would really prefer if S;G was less tainted by the inclusion of otaku pandering. "Oh no, Japan is without moe! THE HORROR!!" "Maid cafes, weee!" "2D grills are best, wooooo!" "Flat chests are soo superior!"
Also, the way Okabe checks Ruka is still awkward/cringey as fuck, like seriously?

Okabe's "Reading Steiner" ability has questionable origins. Why him only? Just because of a fever as a young kid? Guess what, nearly anyone gets sick with a fever at some point in their life, so whatever subpar explanation S;G tries to sell just falls flat on its face.

Last and final point, and I wouldn't had arrived to this point without discussing this with @Clebardman, but S;G is essentially about selfish escapism. Yeah sure, Okabe "suffers" seeing the threads of fate casually kill his friends, but how does this get solved by the end? Let's just jump into another World Line where he doesn't have to worry about that! Yeah, forget about the previous World Lines where his friends met a cruel end! Instead, let's just escape into some 'perfect' World Line where you can pretend nothing bad happen to your friends. For something magical as that "Reading Steiner" ability is, it's merely used for Okabe's sole benefit of finding his perfect VN route, and not so much fixing prior World Line's.

if you read S;G 0 you'll know that (minor spoiler about reading steiner)

Shoryu said:

Yeah you're right on this one. I came to this conclusion as well, but hey who cares about the other world lines.

-----------------------------
Mod Edit:Merged consecutive posts
dipItFooSep 12, 2020 8:26 PM
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Jan 7, 2017 12:57 PM

Oct 2012
Takamura-sama said:

Really looking forward to S;G 0 regardless.
Takamura-sama said:
Yeah you're right on this one. I came to this conclusion as well, but hey who cares about the other world lines.

It's not so much about 'caring' about the other World Lines, but more so, the way this anime paints Okabe, it's as if he's some saint and selfless hero, when in reality, he never really fixed anything. The message presented is very much a, "Hey, forget your problems, run away into that reality that brings the most comfort, and if it starts to feel like hell, just keep on escaping into a different one conveniently!" Time travel stories usually tell the tales where even if you had a magical device that could rewrite your mistakes, there's usually a cost, a cost that requires you to face your mistakes and learn from them. For S;G's case, Okabe really doesn't endure the trials of facing such issues once he realizes the magical ability of hopping from one reality to the next.

"Mad scientist messes with everyone's lives on a cosmic level in a bunch of World Lines, abandoning them all together, and selfishly finds that perfect World Line that works best to his benefit!"

Hence why some viewers may be turned off by S;G, which is far from perfect.
ShoryuJan 7, 2017 1:07 PM

Jan 7, 2017 1:33 PM

Jun 2015
Shoryu said:
Takamura-sama said:

Really looking forward to S;G 0 regardless.
Takamura-sama said:

It's not so much about 'caring' about the other World Lines, but more so, the way this anime paints Okabe, it's as if he's some saint and selfless hero, when in reality, he never really fixed anything. The message presented is very much a, "Hey, forget your problems, run away into that reality that brings the most comfort, and if it starts to feel like hell, just keep on escaping into a different one conveniently!" Time travel stories usually tell the tales where even if you had a magical device that could rewrite your mistakes, there's usually a cost, a cost that requires you to face your mistakes and learn from them. For S;G's case, Okabe really doesn't endure the trials of facing such issues once he realizes the magical ability of hopping from one reality to the next.

"Mad scientist messes with everyone's lives on a cosmic level in a bunch of World Lines, abandoning them all together, and selfishly finds that perfect World Line that works best to his benefit!"

Hence why some viewers may be turned off by S;G, which is far from perfect.

I have only met one person who didn't like S;G and he only dislikes it because of mayuri..

And btw Kyouma is one of the funniest characters all time.
Jan 7, 2017 1:56 PM

Jul 2015
@AltoRoark @Shoryu too much honor :3

I'll be quick because I type this quite often (plus I'm fucking sick), but it felt like a dating sim (probably because the game is one), the meta jokes and characters were painful, it was dumb in ways that pissed me off ("sonavubitch" or eating vegetables = female baby), the time travelling thing and Reading Steiner don't make sense no matter how hard you try to make it work, etc...
Jan 7, 2017 2:03 PM

Oct 2013
well you could argue since Steins Gate has infinite timelines nothing feels like it matters because hey its just something that happens regardless of what you do because even if you change the time line that outcome will still happen
so I can see why someone doesn't like the show
Jan 7, 2017 2:47 PM

Mar 2016
Deknijff said:
well you could argue since Steins Gate has infinite timelines nothing feels like it matters because hey its just something that happens regardless of what you do because even if you change the time line that outcome will still happen

Which is wrong, because in S;G time travel mechanic only 1 World Line is active in any moment. When WL is changed world is rebuilding itself.
Jan 7, 2017 2:53 PM

Oct 2013
HoTTab1CH said:
Deknijff said:
Which is wrong, because in S;G time travel mechanic only 1 World Line is active in any moment. When WL is changed world is rebuilding itself.
I don't remember that
could you link proof by any chance?
Jan 7, 2017 3:03 PM

Oct 2014
Shoryu said:

to be fair lack of any sort of consequence is way too much of a factor in media for me to find it a crippling flaw and steins gate does better than must(fuck clannad)to make its ending scenario convincing
Jan 7, 2017 3:10 PM

Oct 2012
gabrielrroiz said:

to be fair lack of any sort of consequence is way too much of a factor in media for me to find it a crippling flaw and steins gate does better than must(fuck clannad)to make its ending scenario convincing

Just FYI, that was me playing devil's advocate mostly; it would be no secret that S;G is one of my favorites.

Jan 7, 2017 3:15 PM

Oct 2014
Shoryu said:
gabrielrroiz said:

Just FYI, that was me playing devil's advocate mostly; it would be no secret that S;G is one of my favorites.

well your negatives about the show are fairly accurate i just never found the show to be actually trying to explore what the other characters death and lost timelines meant but instead to make his ultimate choice and happy ending to appear more meaningfull and deserved
Jan 7, 2017 3:18 PM

Dec 2016
Imo i think some people dont like it because it might feel abit slow in the begging especially if u r used to fast paced anime. I actually dropped the anime at episode 4 or 5 and resumed it a week later and im glad i did because it was awesome
Jan 7, 2017 3:29 PM

Oct 2012
gabrielrroiz said:
Shoryu said:

well your negatives about the show are fairly accurate i just never found the show to be actually trying to explore what the other characters death and lost timelines meant but instead to make his ultimate choice and happy ending to appear more meaningfull and deserved

I suppose so, but if I must make a comparison with Evangelion, well, End of Eva specifically:

Jan 8, 2017 1:15 AM

Mar 2016
Deknijff said:
HoTTab1CH said:
I don't remember that

Straight from VN terms description. http://i.imgur.com/EyJgTMn.png

Edit: Also this is mentioned in anime in second half of ep.3, but I can't find working ep.3 on youtube.
HoTTab1CHJan 8, 2017 1:23 AM
Jan 8, 2017 4:04 AM

Jun 2015
HoTTab1CH said:
Deknijff said:
I don't remember that

Edit: Also this is mentioned in anime in second half of ep.3, but I can't find working ep.3 on youtube.

It's mentioned but not thoroughly explained. So easily forgettable.

El psy congroo
Jan 8, 2017 7:18 AM

Mar 2016
Takamura-sama said:
HoTTab1CH said:

It's mentioned but not thoroughly explained. So easily forgettable.

El psy congroo

Yea, in ep2 whole Kurisu's lecture will all actual time travel theories and explanations of them was cut off.
Jan 29, 2017 6:09 PM
Nov 2010
If Steins;Gate is lauded for what it did well: chuuni/subculture pandering

instead, it got lauded for things it did horribly, like 'sci-fi' when it's just pseudo-science-fi wannabe that hardly ventured outside of its target hit-zone. Oh, throw in a few techno-sounding words and bet on the target audience to feel good about themselves (giddit? you giddit? heehehehehehee) when the show is actually slapping the very face of the terms that its sprouting. Reminds me of kids parading new words that makes one look cool in grade school. Only works if nobody knows what those words actually meant...
Jan 31, 2017 8:16 AM

Feb 2016
potplant said:
If Steins;Gate is lauded for what it did well: chuuni/subculture pandering

instead, it got lauded for things it did horribly, like 'sci-fi' when it's just pseudo-science-fi wannabe that hardly ventured outside of its target hit-zone. Oh, throw in a few techno-sounding words and bet on the target audience to feel good about themselves (giddit? you giddit? heehehehehehee) when the show is actually slapping the very face of the terms that its sprouting. Reminds me of kids parading new words that makes one look cool in grade school. Only works if nobody knows what those words actually meant...

Lol you must be new to Sci-Fi?
And no, pretty much all of the used terminology is correct.
Jan 31, 2017 9:25 AM

Jul 2014
I gave Steins;Gate a 9/10 myself, so I'm not exactly a rabid fanboy. Here are some of my problems (of course, this is all just my opinion):

The overall characterization of S;G's cast really isn't that great (I hear S;G 0 improves on this aspect though, by giving POV scenes for side characters and letting us see different sides to them, in new situations).

Okabe, Kurisu, and Suzuha (and maybe Mayuri) are probably the most interesting characters, but in my opinion, most of the others are somewhat lacking.

Both Rukako's and Faris's arcs lasted only one episode, and those subplots were pretty generic and uncompelling (Rukako liked Okabe and wanted a date, Faris didn't want to lose her father who I hardly cared about since he barely got any screen time, so there was no developed father-daughter relationship for me to invest in), and then the two heroines dropped out of the plot and no longer served any other purpose. So basically, they only exhibited any meaningful substance for just one episode each, and even then, it wasn't anything to write home about.

Moeka seemed interesting at first because of her antagonist affiliation with SERN and her mysterious aura, and she did get 2 episodes instead of just 1. However, we were only given small details about her backstory regarding SERN and FB, and they didn't have the potential impact they could have had because I hadn't spent a whole lot of time with her and because she was mostly quiet/emotionless throughout the show. The end of her arc made me sympathize with her, but she still never felt like a fully realized character.

Mayuri was pretty moe, and her childhood friend relationship with Okabe was quite sweet, and she did have some touching lines during the second half of the show (that scene at the grave with Okabe watching her was really good), but other than that, she didn't have a whole lot going for her; she was the damsel in distress most of the time, the plot's "goal". She was rather childish, an airhead, throughout most of the show she had no idea what was going on, and she didn't really contribute or help out much (the one time was when she deduced Daru was Suzuha's father). I mean, her death scenes with Okabe nearby were all really tragic and emotional, but I think she was kind of lacking as her own character; maybe she herself could've sent a D-Mail or something and changed the timeline so we could learn more about some of her own desires/backstory that didn't revolve around Okabe.

Daru was pretty cool, nice comic relief, and he contributed by fixing up that time machine, and he also had that cool plot twist relationship with Suzuha, but then after Suzuha's arc he quickly lost significance...

Mr. Braun was really just a cool little plot twist, not much more... and he and Nae didn't really get any closure, he just died...

Dr. Nakabachi was just a one-note asshole who appeared in episode 1 and reappeared in the last one as the final boss... We didn't really see any interactions between him and Kurisu, despite their father-daughter relationship, and he was likely working with SERN, but that didn't get any development either. Basically, he was a really lame character and antagonist, and his father-daughter relationship with Kurisu hardly had any meaning or importance.

Moreover, pretty much all of the characters above display cliche anime tropes, and they're not that subtle about it either. Exhibiting anime tropes isn't necessarily a big problem, but in S;G's case, it's a little too blatant at times, enough to feel like the tropes actually get in the way of some more mature characterization (Rukako, Faris, Moeka, Mayuri, Daru).

----------

Okabe... this guy pretty much carried the entire anime, since most of the other characters were just average to good. And he really was a pretty great protagonist. Furthermore, his chemistry with Kurisu was pretty nice, though Kurisu, despite being a very likable character, still came off as a little too... perfect, in my opinion. And while I enjoyed their chemistry, I still didn't buy into their romance all that much, because it was developed mainly just from Okabe's side, not from Kurisu's, since Okabe was the only one who retained memories across timelines. I didn't really get a solid development of feelings from Kurisu.

Suzuha was also a great character because her subplot had both developed, emotional depth and was "directly" related to the overarching time-travel/SERN plot (unlike Rukako's and Faris's, which felt more like standalone stories detached from the main plot).

----------

This criticism is more subjective, but one of my main problems with time travel stories is that usually only the protagonist remembers everything. Because of this, the end result, to me, just feels a little... hollow, I guess. The other characters all just lose their development - the emotions they felt during the conflicts, the meaningful dialogue/interactions they had, the events themselves that made up part of who they are - they're all just gone (they happen in different timelines, sure, but the end result is still that everything is undone). The characters may still subconsciously remember some stuff, but to me, it all still feels kinda hollow.

I still gave S;G a 9/10 though, mainly because of the complex psychological-thriller plot and the well-executed emotional moments, despite the average overall characterization. I tend to be fairly lenient with my ratings, anyway.
LightBladeNovaFeb 1, 2017 1:24 PM
"Beyond the veil of cherry blossom petals blown by the wind - almost like their promised reunion -

Feelings pile up with the passage of time: once the torrent of emotions comes rushing down, what is the spectacle that awaits?"
Feb 9, 2017 4:04 AM

Nov 2013
So you're unable to grasp, that people have different opinions. Also, your standards seem to be quite low.

What I dislike about it:

1. How time travel is depicted respectively the time machine is created is just ridiculous and dumb. There's suspension of disbelief and there's that.

2. The MC's. Okabe is just annoying with his mad scientist act and Makise is awfully bland. The others aren't exactly worth mentioning.
TheBigGuyFeb 9, 2017 5:16 AM
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Feb 9, 2017 5:35 AM

Mar 2010
Takamura-sama said:
Shoryu said:

Except this is covered by the mechanics of the time travel itself. If I recall correctly, at one point Suzuha explains how there is only one active world line considered as reality. Every other world line is a what if.

Feb 9, 2017 6:38 AM

Jun 2015
TheBigGuy said:
So you're unable to grasp, that people have different opinions. Also, your standards seem to be quite low.

What I dislike about it:

1. How time travel is depicted respectively the time machine is created is just ridiculous and dumb. There's suspension of disbelief and there's that.

2. The MC's. Okabe is just annoying with his mad scientist act and Makise is awfully bland. The others aren't exactly worth mentioning.

how are my standards low?? And btw
Okabe's awesome how can you not find his chuunibyou character funny?
Feb 9, 2017 7:02 AM

Nov 2013
Takamura-sama said:
TheBigGuy said:

What I dislike about it:

how are my standards low?? And btw
Okabe's awesome how can you not find his chuunibyou character funny?

If you can't see the flaws of S;G, then your standards are quite low. No anime is 100 % flawless.

Once again, different opinions. You find him funny, I find an adult, who acts out his chuunibyou rather cringeworthy. Is it really that difficult to grasp, that different people view things differently?
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Feb 9, 2017 7:14 AM

Feb 2016
Okabe's chuuny personality is a cover up of his true self. I wouldn't say Makise is bland. Sure, S;G's charactes might look cliched at first, but there is a lot of stuff going behind them that isn't directly mentioned in your face.

Saying the phonewave is dumb is a bit odd.. but I can get behind that opinion.

"No anime is flawless" so nobody is allowed to like any anime?
And calling people having low standarts for liking S;G, are you for real now?
Feb 9, 2017 7:51 AM

Nov 2013
Aquamirror said:
Okabe's chuuny personality is a cover up of his true self. I wouldn't say Makise is bland. Sure, S;G's charactes might look cliched at first, but there is a lot of stuff going behind them that isn't directly mentioned in your face.

Don't jump to conclusions. Of course he can like S;G. But saying, that it has no flaws is wrong.

I have never said that. I was talking about claiming, that S;G has no flaws.
Feb 9, 2017 7:54 AM

Feb 2016
TheBigGuy said:
Don't jump to conclusions. Of course he can like S;G. But saying, that it has no flaws is wrong.

Just a tip: Stop reading people's words literally.
Feb 9, 2017 10:23 AM

Jun 2015
TheBigGuy said:
Aquamirror said:

So what is wrong in steins;gate?
Feb 9, 2017 10:31 AM

Nov 2013
I already answered that.
Feb 9, 2017 10:37 AM
Jul 2015
Takamura-sama said:
I don't get it, I'm currently rewatching it. because I got hyped while reading 0.

And I just find no faults whatsoever in this anime. None. Everything is perfect, nothing is wrong.

For the haters/people who dislike it: Why do you dislike it? Could you give me an explanation? I don't get it.
I only watched the first episode. The MC was so ridiculously retarded that I struggled to even finish the first episode.
I mean it's different when the MC is simply stupid (for example in Naruto), you just go with it... But in Steins Gate he's supposed to be some scientist...yet the stupidity is oozing out of him
Feb 9, 2017 11:27 PM

Jul 2014
Aight, so nobody's gonna respond to my large wall of text from earlier... okay then :(
"Beyond the veil of cherry blossom petals blown by the wind - almost like their promised reunion -

Feelings pile up with the passage of time: once the torrent of emotions comes rushing down, what is the spectacle that awaits?"
Feb 9, 2017 11:51 PM

Jun 2015
orario_ said:
Takamura-sama said:

I only watched the first episode. The MC was so ridiculously retarded that I struggled to even finish the first episode.
I mean it's different when the MC is simply stupid (for example in Naruto), you just go with it... But in Steins Gate he's supposed to be some scientist...yet the stupidity is oozing out of him

He is a mad scientist and the only one that calls himself that is himself you should've got that from ep 1 and episode 1 is there for the wtf? And you'll get it around ep 6
Feb 9, 2017 11:53 PM

Jun 2015
LightBladeNova said:
I gave Steins;Gate a 9/10 myself, so I'm not exactly a rabid fanboy. Here are some of my problems (of course, this is all just my opinion):

The overall characterization of S;G's cast really isn't that great (I hear S;G 0 improves on this aspect though, by giving POV scenes for side characters and letting us see different sides to them, in new situations).

Okabe, Kurisu, and Suzuha (and maybe Mayuri) are probably the most interesting characters, but in my opinion, most of the others are somewhat lacking.

Both Rukako's and Faris's arcs lasted only one episode, and those subplots were pretty generic and uncompelling (Rukako liked Okabe and wanted a date, Faris didn't want to lose her father who I hardly cared about since he barely got any screen time, so there was no developed father-daughter relationship for me to invest in), and then the two heroines dropped out of the plot and no longer served any other purpose. So basically, they only exhibited any meaningful substance for just one episode each, and even then, it wasn't anything to write home about.

Moeka seemed interesting at first because of her antagonist affiliation with SERN and her mysterious aura, and she did get 2 episodes instead of just 1. However, we were only given small details about her backstory regarding SERN and FB, and they didn't have the potential impact they could have had because I hadn't spent a whole lot of time with her and because she was mostly quiet/emotionless throughout the show. The end of her arc made me sympathize with her, but she still never felt like a fully realized character.

Mayuri was pretty moe, and her childhood friend relationship with Okabe was quite sweet, and she did have some touching lines during the second half of the show (that scene at the grave with Okabe watching her was really good), but other than that, she didn't have a whole lot going for her; she was the damsel in distress most of the time, the plot's "goal". She was rather childish, an airhead, throughout most of the show she had no idea what was going on, and she didn't really contribute or help out much (the one time was when she deduced Daru was Suzuha's father). I mean, her death scenes with Okabe nearby were all really tragic and emotional, but I think she was kind of lacking as her own character; maybe she herself could've sent a D-Mail or something and changed the timeline so we could learn more about some of her own desires/backstory that didn't revolve around Okabe.

Daru was pretty cool, nice comic relief, and he contributed by fixing up that time machine, and he also had that cool plot twist relationship with Suzuha, but then after Suzuha's arc he quickly lost significance...

Mr. Braun was really just a cool little plot twist, not much more... and he and Nae didn't really get any closure, he just died...

Dr. Nakabachi was just a one-note asshole who appeared in episode 1 and reappeared in the last one as the final boss... We didn't really see any interactions between him and Kurisu, despite their father-daughter relationship, and he was likely working with SERN, but that didn't get any development either. Basically, he was a really lame character and antagonist, and his father-daughter relationship with Kurisu hardly had any meaning or importance.

Moreover, pretty much all of the characters above display cliche anime tropes, and they're not that subtle about it either. Exhibiting anime tropes isn't necessarily a big problem, but in S;G's case, it's a little too blatant at times, enough to feel like the tropes actually get in the way of some more mature characterization (Rukako, Faris, Moeka, Mayuri, Daru).

----------

Okabe... this guy pretty much carried the entire anime, since most of the other characters were just average to good. And he really was a pretty great protagonist. Furthermore, his chemistry with Kurisu was pretty nice, though Kurisu, despite being a very likable character, still came off as a little too... perfect, in my opinion. And while I enjoyed their chemistry, I still didn't buy into their romance all that much, because it was developed mainly just from Okabe's side, not from Kurisu's, since Okabe was the only one who retained memories across timelines. I didn't really get a solid development of feelings from Kurisu.

Suzuha was also a great character because her subplot had both developed, emotional depth and was "directly" related to the overarching time-travel/SERN plot (unlike Rukako's and Faris's, which felt more like standalone stories detached from the main plot).

----------

This criticism is more subjective, but one of my main problems with time travel stories is that usually only the protagonist remembers everything. Because of this, the end result, to me, just feels a little... hollow, I guess. The other characters all just lose their development - the emotions they felt during the conflicts, the meaningful dialogue/interactions they had, the events themselves that made up part of who they are - they're all just gone (they happen in different timelines, sure, but the end result is still that everything is undone). The characters may still subconsciously remember some stuff, but to me, it all still feels kinda hollow.

I still gave S;G a 9/10 though, mainly because of the complex psychological-thriller plot and the well-executed emotional moments, despite the average overall characterization. I tend to be fairly lenient with my ratings, anyway.

I read it and, well you're not wrong. But it didn't bother me in the slightest
Feb 10, 2017 12:03 AM

Jul 2014
Takamura-sama said:
I read it and, well you're not wrong. But it didn't bother me in the slightest

Sure, fair enough then. Thanks for the acknowledgement haha.

Feb 11, 2020 7:40 AM
Feb 2020
Well.. there are other problems too.
I personally found no things bad in it but dropped it anyway. For me it was the emotional impact. The thought of being trapped in his place made me feel , mostly wierd trapped and scared. Away form my reality. Forever lost. So I stopped watching because I personally felt unplesnt.

I know that that's how it is supposed to make you feel in a way. But I don't like that feeling so I dropped it
Feb 12, 2020 9:54 PM

Dec 2008
Lefteris_feeedom said:
Well.. there are other problems too.
I personally found no things bad in it but dropped it anyway. For me it was the emotional impact. The thought of being trapped in his place made me feel , mostly wierd trapped and scared. Away form my reality. Forever lost. So I stopped watching because I personally felt unplesnt.

I know that that's how it is supposed to make you feel in a way. But I don't like that feeling so I dropped it

Cowardice cannot be overcome unless you face it head on. Face that feeling, and own it. You can't go through life avoiding something just because it tugged at your heart strings in the wrong way.
Elapsam semel occasionem
non ipse potest Iuppiter reprehendere
(Not even Jupiter can find a lost opportunity)
Aug 27, 2020 9:50 AM
Aug 2020
Shoryu said:

I don't know if you'll see this or not, but as far as I remember, only 1 World Line is active at a given time. So Okabe is just trying to make that World Line active.
Do respond if you see this.
Aug 31, 2020 10:07 AM

May 2016
Bad handling of trans character/ transphobia.
Down on the West Coast

They got a sayin'
Sep 2, 2020 8:32 AM

Sep 2014
This show had legit one of the most annoying cast of characters I know.
Sep 8, 2020 5:08 AM

Jun 2020
They don't probably hate it they just don't get it or is it because it's overated...hmmmmmmm.
Sep 8, 2020 5:23 AM

Apr 2020
While I didn't hate it, I did think it was... Just ok. Like, I finished it and I dont feel ripped off or anything but I had never seen it knowing what I know about it now, I wouldn't rush out to watch it.

Okabe and Kurisu are probably the characters I liked the least. Okabe is super annoying most of the time and I felt ABSOLUTELY NO attachment to Kurisu. For how much the series revolves around Mayuri, she barely gets any screen time and as a result comes off as kinda... Flat?

I think that Suzuha's storyline was the most interesting and was absolutely nailed (barring the ending which... we'll get to the ending). I also really liked Moeka's plot but like... She also got next to to screen time (or at least relevant screen time) so that also flops a bit.

Faris is a really good design and I like her personality but her plot was just kinda... there. I like that her thing had like, world changing results.

Ruka's everything could have been handled better but... I guess it's fine.

NOW THE ENDING! I think the ending kiiiinda suuuuucks. When Okabe gets the call from Suzuha in one of the last episodes, I was like "oh... I guess we're ruining that good place to end it" and then they just kept making it more stupid. Bad. I hated it. It didn't ruin the series but it was deffs my least favourite part.
Sep 8, 2020 5:56 AM

Aug 2017
well someone not like to use their brain when watch anime
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 9, 2020 6:14 AM

Dec 2015
k4fourteen said:
I was about to make fun of you cause of the bad english you have there but your anime taste is so good I simply cannot. So I'll leave it at that.
Sep 9, 2020 7:40 PM

Aug 2017
Robiiii said:
k4fourteen said:
I was about to make fun of you cause of the bad english you have there but your anime taste is so good I simply cannot. So I'll leave it at that.

well can u tell me what wrong with my sentence, i like to fix my english skill too, because it's not my first languange, ty
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

saxophone15 - Apr 26, 2011

241 by GatchiShoppo »»
Apr 20, 4:33 PM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

LadyOrihime - Aug 30, 2011

804 by MrNobodyFN123 »»
Apr 18, 7:26 PM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Samu-tan - Apr 3, 2011

550 by Dyphz »»
Apr 17, 12:00 AM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shanimebib - Sep 13, 2011

1825 by fentphantom »»
Apr 12, 12:02 AM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

zimno - May 17, 2011

309 by DmtTrean »»
Apr 9, 12:33 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.