Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (26) « First ... « 16 17 [18] 19 20 » ... Last »
Jun 2, 2017 5:26 AM

Jun 2016
lady_freyja said:
L0ro said:
44.Read a manga that deals with something related to Japanese culture : Is yakuza valid? Thanks!

I don't see why not. They're an important part of the Japanese society as a whole since at least 400 years.

Those were my thoughts exactly!! Thanks!

Jun 2, 2017 11:28 AM

Dec 2016
I've got a challenge 60 to do so, well, tell me to read a manga that you like! Preferably Shoujo or Shounen, but don't really mind.
Jun 2, 2017 11:38 AM
Jul 2018
ScarletCelestial said:
I've got a challenge 60 to do so, well, tell me to read a manga that you like! Preferably Shoujo or Shounen, but don't really mind.

For some shōjo:
A tear-jerker one.
A serious one.
A cute and funny one.
If you want some adventures.
Something a little odd.
Jun 2, 2017 12:18 PM

Dec 2016
Thank you, lady_freyja! Karakuri Odette looks like it will be great...
Jun 2, 2017 4:47 PM

Mar 2013
FireyAmber said:
lady_freyja said:

You seem to be more or less into adventury stuffs?

Terra e being a shōnen is decently paced.
Marginal and Z being shōjo are "slower" by being more focused on the plot and characters rather than raw action.

(Z is a spin-off, but should be fine even without reading the main story)

Thanks for the recommendations, I just haven't read a lot of manga in general (Main reason I am doing this challenge)

Claudine... is a good short one if you don't want to read all of terra e...
Jun 3, 2017 4:11 PM

Oct 2007
Rebe92 said:
Read a manga centered around folklore or mythology :Can I use Aria for this entry? (they talk a lot about Italian traditions)

If not, what would you suggest me? (something not long)

I've never read it, but reading over the Wikipedia article, yeah, I'll accept it since the setting involves Venice-related inspiration and some of the concepts can be traced back to Italian culture.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Jun 4, 2017 12:20 AM
Feb 2016
tsuyokunaru said:
Rebe92 said:
Read a manga centered around folklore or mythology :Can I use Aria for this entry? (they talk a lot about Italian traditions)

If not, what would you suggest me? (something not long)

I've never read it, but reading over the Wikipedia article, yeah, I'll accept it since the setting involves Venice-related inspiration and some of the concepts can be traced back to Italian culture.

Ok, Thank You very much!
Jun 4, 2017 12:26 AM

Aug 2009
Need a recommendation for #60

Something that is relatively recent (2010+). For genres preferably sci-fi psychological, seinen and action. Completed and less than 30 chapters please.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Jun 4, 2017 3:49 PM

Jul 2013
LoneWolf said:
Need a recommendation for #60

Something that is relatively recent (2010+). For genres preferably sci-fi psychological, seinen and action. Completed and less than 30 chapters please.

maybe try
Amalgam of distortion (18 chapters)
Apocalypse no Toride (47 chaps)
Sentou Jousai Masurawo (22 chaps)
Ogeha (15 chaps)
Jun 5, 2017 5:20 AM
Jul 2018
starfishalliance said:
Hi there! I need a recommendation for #60. Ideally something from the 70s, 80s, or 90s that's completed, not horrendously long, and isn't tagged with/contains a lot of Sci-Fi (unless it's really, really good)~

By looking at your list, I'm sure we'll be friend!

Some recommendations if you want to continue with "old" shōjo:
Hot RoadKisshou TennyoParos no KenShikou Shounen

They're not the best read out there (I have rated them all a 8), but as you can see they don't have a lot of readers at all (two have less than 100 readers -_-') and are all pretty interesting in their own right. And considering our somewhat high compatibility, I think you could check them.

For works that I have better rated: Kagen no Tsuki and Georgie.
Jun 5, 2017 1:37 PM

Jul 2013
so for 46. Read a manga that takes place outside of Japan - A different country or geographical place

do fantasy manga count too? since they're usually not in Japan? Or does it have to be a real place. Also, does it have to be modern day?
Jun 5, 2017 4:19 PM
Jul 2018
Quick question: I know we can use webcomics listed on MU and that sequels count as separate entries for the challenge if they're listed separately on MAL, but what should we do for series like Cheese in the Trap where it's an ongoing webcomic, but only the first part that got published is listed on MAL? Count the season that's on here and the rest of comic as separate entries? Use each season separately? Or just count the whole thing as one entry?

Also for #30: read a manga adapted from a video game, original anime or light novel, can we use series based off books that MAL doesnt count as light novels (like Welcome to the NHK, Shin Sekai Yori, etc) but are in MU's database? They're just listed as "novels" there without the whole LN distinction so idk of you'd count them or not.
Jun 6, 2017 2:48 AM

Mar 2013
SkyFullOfStars said:
so for 46. Read a manga that takes place outside of Japan - A different country or geographical place

do fantasy manga count too? since they're usually not in Japan? Or does it have to be a real place. Also, does it have to be modern day?

I'm actually surprised there isn't more clarification because I know the anime challenge has that same challenge and specifically says that it must be a real place. So i think leaving out that clause probably makes it fair game to use fantasy places that at least not based on Japan.

hamaon said:
Quick question: I know we can use webcomics listed on MU and that sequels count as separate entries for the challenge if they're listed separately on MAL, but what should we do for series like Cheese in the Trap where it's an ongoing webcomic, but only the first part that got published is listed on MAL? Count the season that's on here and the rest of comic as separate entries? Use each season separately? Or just count the whole thing as one entry?

Also for #30: read a manga adapted from a video game, original anime or light novel, can we use series based off books that MAL doesnt count as light novels (like Welcome to the NHK, Shin Sekai Yori, etc) but are in MU's database? They're just listed as "novels" there without the whole LN distinction so idk of you'd count them or not.

For 30, I think you'd have to find it listed as a light novel somewhere otherwise it's just a straight novel. Like if wikipedia makes the distinction or something similar.

As for the first question, I definitely used something that was in a similar situation as that last year, and I just counted it as a finished piece because that's what it said on MAL.

Jun 6, 2017 7:42 PM
Jul 2018
@AudioTsunami Alright thanks

In that case, could I get some ideas for 30: read a manga adapted from a video game, original anime or light novel? Preferably finished and not isekai or ecchi/harem. I'm drawing a blank on any good ones I still need to check out that would count ^^;
Jun 7, 2017 2:16 AM

Mar 2013
hamaon said:
@AudioTsunami Alright thanks

In that case, could I get some ideas for 30: read a manga adapted from a video game, original anime or light novel? Preferably finished and not isekai or ecchi/harem. I'm drawing a blank on any good ones I still need to check out that would count ^^;

Speed Grapher, Hoshi No Koe, Suisei no Gargantia, Mononoke.
Jun 7, 2017 6:29 PM
Jul 2016
Any recommendations for:
-Read a manga that deals with something related to Japanese culture
-Read a manga that has inspired or been adapted to cd drama
-And a recommendation for 60
Jun 8, 2017 3:01 AM

Mar 2013
FireyAmber said:
Any recommendations for:
-Read a manga that deals with something related to Japanese culture
-Read a manga that has inspired or been adapted to cd drama
-And a recommendation for 60

3-gatsu no Lion(ongoing) or Ran and The Grey World
Onanie Master Kurasawa
Kakukaku shikajika
Jun 8, 2017 8:25 AM

Oct 2007
@AudioTsunami @SkyFullOfStars

I didn't add clarification on #46 because I didn't think it needed it since it says 'country or geographical place' I thought people would assume I meant this world, but I'll add a note clarifying it. No, fantasy places cannot be used, it has to be a real place and not Japan. It doesn't have to be modern times, it can be a historical setting.

@hamaon For your question about webcomics, the situation is a little complicated, so it would depend a bit on how much you want to read.

You can read just the length the MAL entry covers and count it as one entry or you can catch up to the latest chapter and treat it as ongoing and link to MU. I would prefer if you didn't treat the MAL entry and then the rest as 2 separate things though.

As for the novels, it has to be tagged as a light novel, as the challenge item says.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Jun 8, 2017 9:29 AM
Jul 2016
Now that I think about it, would Bakuman work as a manga related to japanese culture?
Jun 8, 2017 10:07 AM

Jul 2013
tsuyokunaru said:
@AudioTsunami @SkyFullOfStars

I didn't add clarification on #46 because I didn't think it needed it since it says 'country or geographical place' I thought people would assume I meant this world, but I'll add a note clarifying it. No, fantasy places cannot be used, it has to be a real place and not Japan. It doesn't have to be modern times, it can be a historical setting.

k thanks, i have to change the manga, but thank you very much for the clarification
Jun 8, 2017 12:03 PM

Oct 2007
@FireyAmber Sure, manga magazines and the process of publication can be considered part of Japanese culture
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Jun 8, 2017 12:12 PM

May 2015
Can someone recommend me something to read for challenge #44 and 60?

Also, for challenge #51, would Gekiga Hyouryuu satisfy it?
nerfsunnyJun 8, 2017 11:20 PM
Jun 9, 2017 5:49 AM
Jul 2018
Hey guys and girls!

I need a manga recommendation for the #60 of the manga challenge! :)

Genres I like: Shounen Ai; Psychological; Slice of Life; Thriller; Drama; Mystery and Yaoi :3
Chapterlimit: 20 - 40 Chapters pls. :D

Thanks for your help!
Jun 9, 2017 6:38 AM
Jul 2018
Rybii said:
Hey guys and girls!

Genres I like: Shounen Ai; Psychological; Slice of Life; Thriller; Drama; Mystery and Yaoi :3

Thanks for your help!

I think Seiyou Kottou Yougashiten should really fits your criteria: High slice of life, high comedy, one of the main character is openly gay (and we follow some of his love stories) and another main has a mysterious past, he was abducted as a child but don't remember anything about it.
Jun 9, 2017 6:52 AM
Jul 2018
lady_freyja said:
Rybii said:
Hey guys and girls!

Thanks for your help!

I think Seiyou Kottou Yougashiten should really fits your criteria: High slice of life, high comedy, one of the main character is openly gay (and we follow some of his love stories) and another main has a mysterious past, he was abducted as a child but don't remember anything about it.

Wow...that was really fast! :D
Thank you so much for your recommendation, I really like the Synopsis and I'm gonna read it! <3
Jun 9, 2017 6:54 AM

Oct 2007
@nerfsunny Yes, Gekiga Hyouryuu would count for #51 since it says it's partially autobiographical. As for recs, since you like Hikaru no Go (thumbs up on the favorite) you might like 3-gatsu no Lion? It's shogi, so it's related to Japanese culture. It's still ongoing though, not sure how you feel about that. As for a general rec, Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Jun 9, 2017 12:15 PM

Oct 2013
Hello, can you recommend me for number 60 too, please (Read a manga recommended to you by another Manga Reading Challenge participant in the discussion thread).

I like mystery,drama but I can read whatever comes to your mind too :)
Jun 9, 2017 2:17 PM

Jun 2016
41.Read a manga with a child MC : Is iron knight valid? And for 67 Read a manga that starts with the same second letter of your username: I use r? Cuz 0 is a number.

Jun 9, 2017 2:48 PM

Nov 2010
Can I use yaoi manga for the romance restriction?
Jun 9, 2017 6:53 PM

Mar 2013
Zaiko0 said:
Hello, can you recommend me for number 60 too, please (Read a manga recommended to you by another Manga Reading Challenge participant in the discussion thread).

Zaiko0 said:

Boku dake ga Inai Machi

L0ro said:
41.Read a manga with a child MC : Is iron knight valid? And for 67 Read a manga that starts with the same second letter of your username: I use r? Cuz 0 is a number.

If he is under 12, sure. yeah, use r.

Kamirura said:
Can I use yaoi manga for the romance restriction?

If it's labeled romance, you can use anything.
Jun 10, 2017 2:41 AM

Oct 2013
@AudioTsunami

I have planned to read Boku dake ga Inai Machi, thank you for recommending exactly that one ;]
Jun 10, 2017 8:28 AM
Jul 2018
Hey, it's me again!

I need your help....because I rather like to read your recommendations than searching something on my own, sorry. :P

I need help for following Numbers:

51. Read a manga based on real event or person
02. Read a manga that is a collection of short stories
06. Read a gekiga manga
01. Read a one-shot
03. Read a web or 4-koma manga
41. Read a manga with a child MC

The Genre is up to you this time because I wanna try something new but please recommend only Mangas with max. 40 Chapters. :D
It would be really great if you can help me out! <3

Jun 10, 2017 9:42 AM

Mar 2013
Rybii said:
Hey, it's me again!

I need your help....because I rather like to read your recommendations than searching something on my own, sorry. :P

I need help for following Numbers:

51. Read a manga based on real event or person
02. Read a manga that is a collection of short stories
06. Read a gekiga manga
01. Read a one-shot
03. Read a web or 4-koma manga
41. Read a manga with a child MC

The Genre is up to you this time because I wanna try something new but please recommend only Mangas with max. 40 Chapters. :D
It would be really great if you can help me out! <3

51 Adolf, only because Innocent is too long.
2. Akai Mi Hajiketa
6 Lady Snowblood
1 Semete, Ano Yuki no You ni, Hotel, or Akuma ni Itsukushimi no Te wo
3 About Death
41 Inai Boku wa Hotarumachi ni Iru
Jun 10, 2017 10:00 AM
Jul 2018
Thank you so much for your recommendations @AudioTsunami ! :)

If anyone else want to recommend mangas to me, feel free because I love to look them up and most likely gonna read them! <3
Jun 10, 2017 7:10 PM
Jul 2018
Thanks again @AudioTsunami - probably gonna go with the Mononoke manga for that one

tsuyokunaru said:

As for the novels, it has to be tagged as a light novel, as the challenge item says.

Just to make sure, do you mean on MAL specifically? Or if a book gets tagged as an LN on Wikipedia or another database based off their criteria instead, like what AudioTsunami said earlier, could that count too as long as we note the site down in our forms?
Jun 10, 2017 8:06 PM
Jul 2018
@ColdNobility

#26. Read a manga based on a one-shot that got serialized

Koe no Katachi I guess. Furou Kyoudai's the shortest listed in the faq iirc

#13. Read a manga serialized in a shoujo magazine

11-nin Iru! for something short that might be up your alley

Tokyo Babylon, Meteor Methuselah, Houkago Hokenshitsu for something longer

#19. Read a manga that started serialization the year you joined MAL

SQ: Begin W/Your Name! was cute. Or Ryuu to Hidarite for a decent one shot.

Haven't read them, but Totsukuni no Shoujo and Shimanami Tasogare seem neat. Or Fate/Strange Fake or FSN: Heaven's Feel if you're into Fate.

The advanced search results can get you some more ideas if you select 2015 as the start date, add start date to the list of columns to display, and select a base score to weed off any series that haven't gotten enough votes to be scored (i'd link you but the url had some brackets that broke the link)

#25. Read a manga that started publishing last year

Hanayome wa Motodanshi is short & pretty decent
Jun 11, 2017 12:36 AM

Oct 2013
Zaiko0 said:

Pluto, 20th century boys and Monster since you like mystery.

Thank you, I liked Monster the anime maybe I will give a try the manga ;]

I can recommend you No.6 or Ghost Hunt for #13. Read a manga serialized in a shoujo magazine
Jun 11, 2017 3:58 AM

Oct 2007
@hamaon As long as it's marked as LN somewhere, it works for me.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Jun 11, 2017 9:19 PM

May 2015
@tsuyokunaru Thanks for the recommendations!
Jun 12, 2017 6:53 PM

Dec 2013
21.Read a manga published between the 1980s and the 1990s

24.Read a manga that started publishing after 2010

25.Read a manga that started publishing last year

44.Read a manga that deals with something related to Japanese culture

60.Read a manga recommended to you by another Manga Reading Challenge participant in the discussion.

I need something 5+ volumes. Completed optional, preferably not shounen but I'll take it too. Thank you.
Jun 13, 2017 8:28 AM

Mar 2013
Astros said:
21.Read a manga published between the 1980s and the 1990s

24.Read a manga that started publishing after 2010

25.Read a manga that started publishing last year

44.Read a manga that deals with something related to Japanese culture

60.Read a manga recommended to you by another Manga Reading Challenge participant in the discussion.

I need something 5+ volumes. Completed optional, preferably not shounen but I'll take it too. Thank you.

I don't think 25 is gonna have 5+volume stuff and very few completed stuff(and is excluded from the 5+ volume clause for the "Prodigious.." title)

21 Touch but that's REAL long. You could use Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Part 1.
24 Ao Haru Ride, Orange, Koe no katachi all work for this.
44 Ran and The Grey World
60 Kokou no Hitou

25. Fureru to Kikoeru, Good Night World, and Shounen Shoujo are all completed and Good Night World actually does meet the 5 volume minimum
Jun 13, 2017 9:22 AM

Dec 2013
AudioTsunami said:
I don't think 25 is gonna have 5+volume stuff and very few completed stuff(and is excluded from the 5+ volume clause for the "Prodigious.." title)
I did not know this hah.

AudioTsunami said:
21 Touch but that's REAL long. You could use Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Part 1.
24 Ao Haru Ride, Orange, Koe no katachi all work for this.
44 Ran and The Grey World
60 Kokou no Hitou

25. Fureru to Kikoeru, Good Night World, and Shounen Shoujo are all completed and Good Night World actually does meet the 5 volume minimum
I'll likely go with JoJo if I don't find anything else. I'm looking forward to Orange, Ran and The Grey World, and Kokou no Hitou. Thanks \o
Jun 13, 2017 11:10 AM

Apr 2017
Could anyone recommend me anything (though, preferably completed) for either of these:
  • 43. Read a manga that has a main character that is a professional in his field.
  • 60. Read a manga recommended to you by another Manga Reading Challenge participant in the discussion thread.
I was originally going tu use Monster for 43, but decided tu use it instead for:
  • 46. Read a manga that takes place outside of Japan.
So if anyone's got one, i would also really appreciate a recommendation for 46.

Also, I have Tomie on 49, but i'm not sure if it really counts as a manga about folklore or mythology. I only chose it in particular because it's a collection of horror stories. But again, not sure if it counts.

Here's a link to my challenge list so you can see if anything you want to recommend is already there.
Thanks in advance.
Copy_BatJun 13, 2017 2:27 PM
Jun 13, 2017 5:38 PM

Dec 2013
A suggestion to any further Prodigious users looking for a manga for 25. Read a manga published between the 1980s and the 1990s.

https://myanimelist.net/manga/664/Akira
Jun 13, 2017 6:57 PM

Apr 2017
@ColdNobility
Thank you very much! I look forward to reading these!
Jun 15, 2017 4:38 PM

Mar 2017
@Copy_Bat Tomie is a great read, but it isn't really about folklore or mythology. I'd recommend something like Matantei Loki or Binbougami ga! for #49.
BrainpanSonataJun 15, 2017 6:46 PM
Jun 16, 2017 1:59 PM

Apr 2017
@BrainpanSonata Oh, alright. Thank you very much! I really appreciate the help!
Jun 17, 2017 9:02 PM

Mar 2017
Decided once was not enough, took another card after turn-in, and got #60 again. Recc me something. I like horror, mysteries, action, sci-fi, psychological thrillers, and supernatural stuff.
BrainpanSonataJun 18, 2017 12:09 PM
Jun 18, 2017 11:39 PM

Mar 2013
Try Freesia. It seems to your taste
Jun 19, 2017 8:43 AM

Jan 2013
Hey guys, looking for a recc for #60.

Big fan of historical, mythological, urban fantasy/magical realism and horror although I'll read most things.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (26) « First ... « 16 17 [18] 19 20 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Tell me an anime with good female cast that is used correctly

kirA_-_ - 11 hours ago

3 by Otakupervert890 »»
1 hour ago

» Ur fav manga

Aoust_Adenca - Mar 10, 2023

19 by Otakupervert890 »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Manga or Light Novels: Which do you prefer?

Digibutter64 - Jan 1, 2020

26 by Kurt_Irving »»
2 hours ago

» Ao Haru Ride Rant (Had to get this off my chest) Spoilers!

XGirl86 - 7 hours ago

0 by XGirl86 »»
7 hours ago

» 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

MRC_mod - Jan 20

148 by claricespectro »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.