Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (26) « First ... « 15 16 [17] 18 19 » ... Last »
May 11, 2017 10:27 AM
Jul 2018
@Bowsska

My last notable read was Olimpos.
A conversation-driven manga which try to do a worldbuilding based on some existential concepts, all of that with a Greek mythology flavor. A really interesting and intriguing read, if you don't mind slow-paced stories.
The art is also pretty good BTW, definitely inside the shōjo canon (girly bishōnen, blank backgrounds…).
May 12, 2017 1:33 AM

Oct 2012
I'm confused about what exactly number 44 means.

It says "Read a manga that deals with something related to Japanese culture". Does that mean something like work culture, honne and tatemae or youkai, traditional dances and so on?

Oh and does anyone have any recommendation for number 60? I'd prefer something with no romance.

Since I was young, I had believed that
A princess in picture book is a strong person
Things to be protected, and things I want to protect
Will never be fulfilled, no matter how long, if I just kept dreaming

Go ahead.jpg
May 12, 2017 2:18 AM

Mar 2013
Bowsska said:
#60. Read a manga recommended to you by another Manga Reading Challenge participant in the discussion thread

So, ¿any recomendations?

I really haven't any preferences so anything goes, i suppose.

Kakukaku shikajika
Kokou no hitou
Lady snowblood

Arasy said:
I'm confused about what exactly number 44 means.

It says "Read a manga that deals with something related to Japanese culture". Does that mean something like work culture, honne and tatemae or youkai, traditional dances and so on?

Oh and does anyone have any recommendation for number 60? I'd prefer something with no romance.

Anything that can conceivably be "japanese culture". I know people use Shogi, folklore, japanese Internet culture like 2ch, yakuza, and you might be able to swing school life/club stuff. It's a pretty laissez-faire category.

For 60, kakukaku shikajika, Kokou no hitou, glaucos.
May 16, 2017 12:12 PM

Apr 2014
How can I identify web manga? Can Honey & Honey be considered one?
May 16, 2017 2:34 PM

Jun 2012
@Ignisalge

You can find web manga here: https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?category=Web+Comic&orderby=rating

As for Honey & Honey I don't think so

And I recommend Annarasumanara if you haven't already read it
MegaMan-ZeroMay 16, 2017 2:39 PM
May 16, 2017 11:36 PM

Jun 2012
@ColdNobility

Quoting the FAQ "Can I use manhua/manwha/oneshots instead of serialized manga for regular items too? -- Yes, you can."

So I think since its a korean webcomic it'll fit the criteria

Anyway we'll ask the mods just to be sure
@MRC_mod
May 17, 2017 12:44 PM

Dec 2008
Just wanted to check--can I read Peepo Choo for this challenge? The artist is American but the manga was published in a Japanese manga magazine, so I just want to make sure before I start it.
May 17, 2017 1:30 PM

Jan 2017
@MegaMan-Zero @ColdNobility I read Annarasumanara last year and I believe it was a webcomic serialized in Naver Webtoons before it was published on paper.

@Ignisalge Honey & Honey doesn't list a serialization, but doesn't give any indication that it's a webcomic either, so I'd say no to that to be on the safe side. Either way you can also use baka-updates tags to find something that was published online. As casual recs, Mob Psycho 100, One Punch Man and Hetalia would all count.

@letsgomeisei Yes, that counts.
2024 Manga Reading Challenge: Sign Up Discussion

2024 Anime Watching Challenge: Sign Up Discussion

Discord server for MRC/AWC
May 17, 2017 7:33 PM

Mar 2013
ColdNobility said:
MegaMan-Zero said:
@Ignisalge

You can find web manga here: https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?category=Web+Comic&orderby=rating

As for Honey & Honey I don't think so

And I recommend Annarasumanara if you haven't already read it

Annarasumanara is not a webmanga, its korean.

It's a korean webcomic.
May 19, 2017 7:17 PM

Jul 2013
A couple questions:

For the challenge in which the MC is 12 years or younger, does it still count if they grow older than 12 at some point in the story?
Can I use a manga/webtoon that's not on the MAL database? eg. Black Haze, Ake no Tobari, etc.
Just to be sure, if we chose to read an on-going manga, we just have to reach the latest chapter right? Is there a minimum number of chapters those on-going mangas have to have?
SkyFullOfStarsMay 19, 2017 7:50 PM
May 19, 2017 7:47 PM

Jul 2013
well. so we can continue what we're reading now for some of these right (as long as it's not just reading the latest chapter)? Or reread them? Here's where my hundred of on-hold mangas come into play lol.
May 20, 2017 10:31 AM

Mar 2013
SkyFullOfStars said:
A couple questions:

For the challenge in which the MC is 12 years or younger, does it still count if they grow older than 12 at some point in the story?
Can I use a manga/webtoon that's not on the MAL database? eg. Black Haze, Ake no Tobari, etc.
Just to be sure, if we chose to read an on-going manga, we just have to reach the latest chapter right? Is there a minimum number of chapters those on-going mangas have to have?

Pref no, but if it's a majority under 12 situation it's fine.
Yes, link it with Bakaupdates
Nochapter limit, but you have to be current when you turn-in.

SkyFullOfStars said:
well. so we can continue what we're reading now for some of these right (as long as it's not just reading the latest chapter)? Or reread them? Here's where my hundred of on-hold mangas come into play lol.

You have to re-read them from the beginning. The entirety of each manga must be read between January 1st and December 31st of this year.
May 20, 2017 10:39 AM

Jul 2013
AudioTsunami said:
SkyFullOfStars said:
A couple questions:

Pref no, but if it's a majority under 12 situation it's fine.
Yes, link it with Bakaupdates
Nochapter limit, but you have to be current when you turn-in.

SkyFullOfStars said:

You have to re-read them from the beginning. The entirety of each manga must be read between January 1st and December 31st of this year.

ok thank you for the reply!
May 20, 2017 6:57 PM

Jul 2013
Oh yeah, can someone recommend me a manga that doesn't have ecchi, harem, mecha, tragedy, or horror in it?

And do webmangas include tower of god and stuff like that?

Also, for 21. Read a manga published between the 1980s and the 1990s, I was going to read Magic Kaito but it's still publishing chapters today. Is it still valid as a manga for this challenge?
SkyFullOfStarsMay 20, 2017 7:11 PM
May 20, 2017 8:11 PM

Jul 2013
ColdNobility said:
SkyFullOfStars said:
Oh yeah, can someone recommend me a manga that doesn't have ecchi, harem, mecha, tragedy, or horror in it?

Here are some I liked

https://myanimelist.net/manga/44307/Kakukaku_Shikajika

https://myanimelist.net/manga/1695/Adolf_ni_Tsugu

https://myanimelist.net/manga/1504/Gogo_Monster

this is hilarious because i literally saw Adolf ni Tsugu on wiki an hour ago while trying to find 1980 mangas.

anyway, thank you!
May 20, 2017 8:59 PM

Mar 2013
SkyFullOfStars said:
And do webmangas include tower of god and stuff like that?

Tower of God is a webmanga, yes.
May 25, 2017 1:23 AM

Sep 2016
Hello!

I am looking for a recommendation for #60.

Things I am into at this moment, it doesn't have to involve all 3:
- I am enjoying MC being transported into another world
- Romance
- Marriage and dealing with the day to day life/situations

I don't have any restrictions. Length is not a big deal but nothing tooo too extensive (I mean like 20+ volumes)..unless it's a really good series. Also feel free to go outside the box, I'm up for something to blow my mind.

Things I am really not into: Yaoi, Yuri. I tried it, it's not for me. >.<
May 25, 2017 3:08 AM

Oct 2007
@SkyFullOfStars No, Magic Kaito wouldn't count. The 'decades' items from the challenge have to be kept mostly within those years with only one or two years of leniency. Since It's 2017 and it's still publishing, I won't accept it.

@IcyWolfosKelsos Ashita no Ousama is very good and ridiculously underappreciated, so you can use that or wait for another rec from another user.
密宀殺人はなぜ矎しいのか。
May 25, 2017 4:36 PM

Aug 2010
Hello.
My generated word for challenge #65 (Choose a manga from the predictive search using a generated random word) is "tape". MAL thinks I mean "rape", so its primary recommendations are hentai manga. Can I use the "View all results for x" option or do I have to pick something from first 10 results? :D
May 25, 2017 7:38 PM

Sep 2016
Thank you @Tsuyokunaru! I never heard of it beofre, it looks good =)
May 25, 2017 8:13 PM

Oct 2007
@Lunnatyk You have to choose from the 10 results that appear as a menu as you type in the word, but you can change the word for another one lol since your situation is just too unfortunate.
密宀殺人はなぜ矎しいのか。
May 26, 2017 2:21 AM

Aug 2010
@tsuyokunaru I thought of changing generated word, but it seemed a little bit unfair. I guess I have no other option. Anyway, thank you for your response. c:
May 26, 2017 11:06 AM

May 2014
I'm looking for manga recommendations! (for #60)
- my faorite genres are mystery, psychological, fantasy/supernatural, drama and romance.
- I'm generally into more mature mangas.
- what I don't like: school settings, slice-of-life.
- it should be something with less than 100 chapters.

Please take a look at my list first, thank you!

May 26, 2017 5:43 PM

Oct 2007
@Lunnatyk As long as you don't handpick it to suit a manga you want to choose but actually use the word generator, I don't consider it particularly unfair, but I appreciate your care with the rules.
密宀殺人はなぜ矎しいのか。
May 27, 2017 5:59 AM
Jul 2018
coromandel said:
- my faorite genres are mystery, psychological, fantasy/supernatural, drama and romance.

If you have access to Madokami, you should try Itihasa.

Otherwise, Yuureitou maybe.
May 27, 2017 7:51 AM

Jun 2016
Is it ok to use Outlaw star for the 68? The random Trope was this: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NeutralGood. I'm a little confused.
And something else,for <<50. Read a manga that has a main character of gender opposite to the demographic>>,can you give me an example?It's like S・L・H?
Thanks in advance!!!
L0roMay 27, 2017 9:50 AM

May 27, 2017 1:02 PM

May 2014
lady_freyja said:
coromandel said:

If you have access to Madokami, you should try Itihasa.

Otherwise, Yuureitou maybe.

thank you - they both sound really interesting!

May 27, 2017 1:46 PM

Oct 2007
@L0ro Yes, it's okay to use Outlaw Star as one of the main characters represents the trope. As for the gender opposite to the demographic, this means choosing a manga that is aimed at a gender but has a main character of the opposite gender (for this I like to consider the main as the narrator or the character whose point of view is considered more often). For example Natsume Yuujinchou is a shoujo manga (aimed at a female audience) with a male main character. SLH is a shoujo manga with a female main character so it wouldn't count.

For more recs related to this challenge item, you could consider Amanchu! (shounen with female MC) or Otomen (shoujo with male MC) or you can request it again so more people in the thread can give specific recs related to that item.
密宀殺人はなぜ矎しいのか。
May 27, 2017 6:57 PM

Mar 2013
L0ro said:
Is it ok to use Outlaw star for the 68? The random Trope was this: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NeutralGood. I'm a little confused.
And something else,for <<50. Read a manga that has a main character of gender opposite to the demographic>>,can you give me an example?It's like S・L・H?
Thanks in advance!!!

it's as tsuyokunaru wrote, if it's a shounen or seinen, the MC needs to be female and if it's a josei or shoujo, the MC needs to be male.

Otoyomegatari, Aishiteruze Baby, Claymore, March Story, Ran and The Grey World, Aria, Liar Game, Gunnm, No 6, Banana Fish, Kids on the Slope, Lollypop or Bullet, girl friends, sasameki koto, Solanin, suiiki, Shigeshoushi, Omoide Emanon, Moon, Subaru, Nijiro Days, X, and Teppu are all semi popular manga that work for that category
May 27, 2017 9:35 PM

Jun 2016
AudioTsunami said:
L0ro said:
Thanks in advance!!!

it's as tsuyokunaru wrote, if it's a shounen or seinen, the MC needs to be female and if it's a josei or shoujo, the MC needs to be male.

Otoyomegatari, Aishiteruze Baby, Claymore, March Story, Ran and The Grey World, Aria, Liar Game, Gunnm, No 6, Banana Fish, Kids on the Slope, Lollypop or Bullet, girl friends, sasameki koto, Solanin, suiiki, Shigeshoushi, Omoide Emanon, Moon, Subaru, Nijiro Days, X, and Teppu are all semi popular manga that work for that category

Thanks a lot!!!!!!I'll use one from the mangas that you mentioned!
tsuyokunaru said:
@L0ro Yes, it's okay to use Outlaw Star as one of the main characters represents the trope. As for the gender opposite to the demographic, this means choosing a manga that is aimed at a gender but has a main character of the opposite gender (for this I like to consider the main as the narrator or the character whose point of view is considered more often). For example Natsume Yuujinchou is a shoujo manga (aimed at a female audience) with a male main character. SLH is a shoujo manga with a female main character so it wouldn't count.

For more recs related to this challenge item, you could consider Amanchu! (shounen with female MC) or Otomen (shoujo with male MC) or you can request it again so more people in the thread can give specific recs related to that item.

Thanks!!!!

May 28, 2017 8:04 AM

Oct 2015
Heyyy, can anyone recommend a manga that started serialization in 2015 which is finished? I can't seem to find any :c
May 29, 2017 5:13 AM

Mar 2013
Criminale!, Spirit Migration, Blade Note(korean webtoon), Dokgo(webtoon)

probably more if you check the genres you like on bakaupdates and sort by year. click aroudn stuff that sounds good. Takes some time, but it's a way to find stuff.
May 29, 2017 9:27 AM

Jun 2016
Can i use Jiujiu or Youkai Hunter for 49.<<Read a manga centered around folklore or mythology>>? And for 51. Read a manga based on real event or person, I used 17-sai but it's a manga adaption of a novel based on the real life events of Junko Furuta. Is it ok? And last for the 11. Read a manga by an author and artist duo : It means that for the story is one person and for the art someone else..right?

Sorry for thr big message and thanks!
L0roMay 30, 2017 7:22 AM

May 29, 2017 11:15 PM

Mar 2013
44 seems right
51 idk which 17-sai you are talking about
11 is yeah gotta be by two people
May 30, 2017 7:23 AM

Jun 2016
AudioTsunami said:
44 seems right
51 idk which 17-sai you are talking about
11 is yeah gotta be by two people

I mean https://myanimelist.net/manga/24959/17-sai .

And if you know, <<Read a manga that deals with something related to Japanese culture - Make a note of what cultural aspect is being represented>> is yakuza valid??

Thanks for your reply!!

May 30, 2017 8:14 AM
Feb 2016
Read a manga centered around folklore or mythology :Can I use Aria for this entry? (they talk a lot about Italian traditions)

If not, what would you suggest me? (something not long)
May 30, 2017 9:02 AM
May 2017
I need a recommendation for #60. I have read practically nothing (that's the main reason I want to take part in the challenge) so anything will do

And can you recommend me a 4-koma, please?
May 30, 2017 10:31 AM

Jul 2013
TakaRei0 said:
I need a recommendation for #60. I have read practically nothing (that's the main reason I want to take part in the challenge) so anything will do

try gekkan shoujo nozaki-kun for 4koma
it's not complete yet but it's super enjoyable comedy.

Maybe try Liar game or Oyasumi Punpun for #60
May 30, 2017 10:37 AM

Jan 2014
I'm not sure I understand the description they've given for a one-shot. What do they mean by that it shouldn't be one volume?
May 30, 2017 11:49 AM
May 2017
SkyFullOfStars said:
TakaRei0 said:

try gekkan shoujo nozaki-kun for 4koma
it's not complete yet but it's super enjoyable comedy.

Maybe try Liar game or Oyasumi Punpun for #60

Thank you for recommendations!
May 30, 2017 2:09 PM

Jun 2016
Transience said:
I'm not sure I understand the description they've given for a one-shot. What do they mean by that it shouldn't be one volume?

It means that it will be one chapter.For example Dr. Chanbelee.

May 30, 2017 7:49 PM

Jan 2014
L0ro said:
Transience said:

Oh, ik that one-shots are stories that end in one chap. They even have a MAL type. I'm confused about what they mean with the volume. Do they mean it should be a one-shot that is part of a compilation or a stand-alone or something?
I'm guessing stand-alone though - just want confirmation.
May 30, 2017 9:36 PM

Jun 2016
Transience said:
L0ro said:

Oh, ik that one-shots are stories that end in one chap. They even have a MAL type. I'm confused about what they mean with the volume. Do they mean it should be a one-shot that is part of a compilation or a stand-alone or something?

I am sure that it means a stand-alone.

May 30, 2017 11:07 PM
Jul 2018
Transience said:
L0ro said:

It is because with US and European comics, "one-shot" traditionally means "one volume". While for manga, it can both means "one volume" or "one chapter" depending if you look at the magazine publication or the book publication.

That's why there is that precision. For the challenge, it means one chapter.
May 31, 2017 12:31 AM

Jan 2014
L0ro said:
Transience said:

I am sure that it means a stand-alone.
lady_freyja said:
Transience said:

It is because with US and European comics, "one-shot" traditionally means "one volume". While for manga, it can both means "one volume" or "one chapter" depending if you look at the magazine publication or the book publication.

That's why there is that precision. For the challenge, it means one chapter.
Ah ok, I see. Ty guys! ^^
Jun 1, 2017 6:05 AM

Jun 2016
44.Read a manga that deals with something related to Japanese culture : Is yakuza valid? Thanks!

Jun 1, 2017 8:07 AM
Jul 2018
L0ro said:
44.Read a manga that deals with something related to Japanese culture : Is yakuza valid? Thanks!

I don't see why not. They're an important part of the Japanese society as a whole since at least 400 years.
Jun 1, 2017 9:15 PM
Jul 2016
Any recommendations for a manga from somebody from the year 24 group?
Jun 1, 2017 10:22 PM
Jul 2018
FireyAmber said:

You seem to be more or less into adventury stuffs?

Terra e being a shōnen is decently paced.
Marginal and Z being shōjo are "slower" by being more focused on the plot and characters rather than raw action.

(Z is a spin-off, but should be fine even without reading the main story)
Jun 1, 2017 10:26 PM
Jul 2016
lady_freyja said:
FireyAmber said:

You seem to be more or less into adventury stuffs?

Terra e being a shōnen is decently paced.
Marginal and Z being shōjo are "slower" by being more focused on the plot and characters rather than raw action.

(Z is a spin-off, but should be fine even without reading the main story)

Thanks for the recommendations, I just haven't read a lot of manga in general (Main reason I am doing this challenge)
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (26) « First ... « 15 16 [17] 18 19 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» How many chapters do you read a month?

Rissio - Apr 4

17 by Oofmastre9000 »»
8 hours ago

» Do you ever skim through your Manga?

zaganGao - Jan 23

26 by Zimmu »»
10 hours ago

» Top 10 most iconic manga creators objectively ranked

AlphaMaleScotty - Apr 15

22 by Lucifrost »»
Yesterday, 8:38 AM

» Recently Bought Manga, Mahnwa, Manhua, or Light Novels. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Maora - Oct 24, 2008

5931 by malvarez1 »»
Apr 16, 8:26 PM

» Have an amazing art in manga but not in anime

kirA_-_ - Apr 15

7 by malvarez1 »»
Apr 16, 8:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.