Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (26) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 » ... Last »
Jan 20, 2017 6:38 PM

Aug 2013
AudioTsunami said:
Haruchan- said:
@Selphie64 Thanks for your recommendations!!
I'll go check Koi dano Ai dano and Gokicha ^^

I already used Kakukaku Shikajika for ''a main character that is a professional in his field'' (#43)

Does anyone else have recs for #51 (a manga based on a real event/person)?
Or a manga that has a main character that is a professional in his field?

Denshi otoko for 51
Bambino for 43.

Depending on which way you want yo go.

thanks for the recommendations, I'll check them out!
Jan 20, 2017 9:39 PM

Mar 2016
So what does #61 mean when it says read a manga that another user has read for this challenge. Do I need to find somebody that completed #61 and read that or just a manga that I've seen somebody read for any challenge? Would that mean that it's one of those challenges that I need to take a screenshot for? Any help would be appreciated.
Jan 20, 2017 10:04 PM

Mar 2013
salukiron68 said:
So what does #61 mean when it says read a manga that another user has read for this challenge. Do I need to find somebody that completed #61 and read that or just a manga that I've seen somebody read for any challenge? Would that mean that it's one of those challenges that I need to take a screenshot for? Any help would be appreciated.

You just have to read any manga that someone has read for the any of the categories. You don't have to screenshot it, you just have to link their post. Because we aren't supposed to delete our entries, the link should work.(this is why your form says do not delete, because it breaks all the links and screws with several challenges, like it did last year)
Jan 21, 2017 12:35 AM

Nov 2015
Does Petshop of Horrors count as - 02. Read a manga that is a collection of short stories: ?
Jan 21, 2017 8:03 AM

Jan 2017
@bluebear_tora Unfortunately no because although different chapters tell of different clients and stories, the manga as a whole does offer some continuity to a bigger plot sort of like Holic would.
2024 Manga Reading Challenge: Sign Up Discussion

2024 Anime Watching Challenge: Sign Up Discussion

Discord server for MRC/AWC
Jan 21, 2017 8:50 AM

Nov 2015
MRC_mod said:
@bluebear_tora Unfortunately no because although different chapters tell of different clients and stories, the manga as a whole does offer some continuity to a bigger plot sort of like Holic would.

Thanks for that! So... Would Hotarubi no Mori e qualify for the challenge?
Jan 21, 2017 8:52 AM

Mar 2014
For #41 Read a manga with a child MC - Character must be 12 or younger - does just one main character listed have to be under 12? Even if they're not the protaganist
Jan 21, 2017 10:11 AM

Dec 2013
Can someone recommend me a manga (finished) they liked for the #60? :)

Jan 21, 2017 12:31 PM

Dec 2008
bluebear_tora said:
MRC_mod said:

I believe it does. If I'm remembering that manga well, the short stories were not related to each other or formed part of a bigger story/plot.

@bluebear_tora
Kino_no_TabiJan 21, 2017 12:35 PM
Jan 21, 2017 12:34 PM

Dec 2008
Shuichi2 said:
For #41 Read a manga with a child MC - Character must be 12 or younger - does just one main character listed have to be under 12? Even if they're not the protaganist
@Shuichi2
Yup; so long as the character description page in MAL states that character as a main character, and of course under 12 years old, then you're good to go :)
Jan 21, 2017 1:32 PM

Mar 2013
Shuichi2 said:

As long as they are listed as "Main" on the character page, it's cool. An example would March Comes In Like A Lion. Momo is listed as a main but is not the protagonist of the series.
Jan 21, 2017 1:33 PM

Mar 2013
haylE15 said:

Kakukaku Shikajika
Ran and the Grey World
Jan 21, 2017 4:14 PM

Dec 2013
AudioTsunami said:
haylE15 said:

Kakukaku Shikajika
Ran and the Grey World

Thanks! They both seem interesting :D

Jan 21, 2017 7:17 PM

Nov 2015
Kino_no_Tabi said:
bluebear_tora said:

I believe it does. If I'm remembering that manga well, the short stories were not related to each other or formed part of a bigger story/plot.

Thanks for that info!
Jan 22, 2017 4:01 AM

Mar 2014
Kino_no_Tabi said:
Shuichi2 said:
@Shuichi2
Yup; so long as the character description page in MAL states that character as a main character, and of course under 12 years old, then you're good to go :)

AudioTsunami said:
Shuichi2 said:

As long as they are listed as "Main" on the character page, it's cool. An example would March Comes In Like A Lion. Momo is listed as a main but is not the protagonist of the series.

Thank you both. ^^
Jan 22, 2017 4:58 AM

May 2014
Can someone please recommend me something for #51 and #60, please?
Preferably something after 2000 (for #60) and it can be ongoing as well.

BU / / / / / dev
Jan 22, 2017 9:12 AM

Jul 2009
hello~ XD
can anyone explain what #34. Read a manga ranked in the top 1000s means exactly, please? o.o like, would a 1050 or 1100 count or how does this work at all?

also.. @lady_freyja hi! :D you said you wouldn't mind recommending a Year 24 Group manga, so I decided to bother you. I tried checking all the ones you have recommended by now, but if I didn't miss any, they were all BL o.o I would rather read a non-BL non-GL(is this even a term xD) manga that's scanlated fully! I'm not picky with genres otherwise, I think o.o the length isn't an issue as well~ would you care to help, please? xD
~by baba <3
Jan 22, 2017 9:42 AM

Mar 2013
VanityStar said:
Can someone please recommend me something for #51 and #60, please?
Preferably something after 2000 (for #60) and it can be ongoing as well.

51 Kakukaku Shikajika, Densha Otoko, or Innocent
60 One of those 3, Kokou no Hitou, or Seizon Life

toph-bei-fong said:
hello~ XD
can anyone explain what #34. Read a manga ranked in the top 1000s means exactly, please? o.o like, would a 1050 or 1100 count or how does this work at all?

also.. @lady_freyja hi! :D you said you wouldn't mind recommending a Year 24 Group manga, so I decided to bother you. I tried checking all the ones you have recommended by now, but if I didn't miss any, they were all BL o.o I would rather read a non-BL non-GL(is this even a term xD) manga that's scanlated fully! I'm not picky with genres otherwise, I think o.o the length isn't an issue as well~ would you care to help, please? xD

Terra E.. and Rose of Versailles

Also 34 is 1-1000. 35 is 1001-10000
Jan 22, 2017 9:44 AM

Jul 2009
@AudioTsunami OHHHH O_O thanks a bunch, really! <3
~by baba <3
Jan 22, 2017 10:16 AM

May 2014
@AudioTsunami Uwaa, thanks a lot for your help!(๑•̀ㅂ•́)و✧

BU / / / / / dev
Jan 22, 2017 12:00 PM

Oct 2009
Hello!

I need help finding a recom. title for #06.Read a gekiga manga.

As per Wikipedia’s list of notable artists Rumiko Takahashi is considered a gekiga artist. Does anyone knows which works of hers are considered gekiga?

Gekiga - Wikipedia

Edit: Is P no Higeki a gekiga?
i_yuuko-chanJan 22, 2017 12:07 PM
Jan 22, 2017 12:52 PM
Jul 2018
i_yuuko-chan said:
Hello!

I need help finding a recom. title for #06.Read a gekiga manga.

As per Wikipedia’s list of notable artists Rumiko Takahashi is considered a gekiga artist. Does anyone knows which works of hers are considered gekiga?

Gekiga - Wikipedia

Edit: Is P no Higeki a gekiga?

It surprised me.
So I looked a little into it.
It seems she attended to the "school" of gekiga created by Kazuo Koike, but it seems she never said doing gekiga.
Beside some dōjinshi, her work the most influenced by what she learned in that school seems to be Maison Ikkoku.

But for me, the gekiga movement died after the 70s decade.

Actually, I think it would be helpful to have "definition" of what manga are "gekiga" for the challenge.

toph-bei-fong said:

AudioTsunami already answered, but anyway. へへ

Actually, I mentionned 11-nin Iru earlier in the topic.

But the issue with both the gekiga and Year 24 challenges, is that they're about old movements of manga.
The gekiga period started in the 50s decade and ended after the 70s (at least that's where I stop it). The Year 24 "period" is essentially during the 70s and 80s decades, those mangaka reduced their publication rhythm after that.

And the issue is that few scanlation teams actually work on old-school manga: there is too much works to translate and not enough man-power to translate them. Osamu Teuka and Go Nagai seem to gather most of the old-school teams' efforts…

And the other issue is that both the gekiga and Year 24 movement aren't mainstream. Like even if today both Moto Hagio or Ryōko Yamagishi still write manga, their works don't interest otaku.

By "chance", the Year 24 created both BL and (modern) GL, thus some teams focusing on those genres translated some of their BL/GL works. That's what we have the most from them, it is sad, but what can we do about it?
Both Terra e and Rose of Versailles managed to get a successful anime, which gather enough attention from the otaku, and thus those 2 particular manga are scanlated.

Outside of that… we have essentially short works (one volume long) or one-shots… So in the end we have that:
Banana Bread no Pudding, if you want to try a really weird manga. It is a really peculiar manga, really. I'm happy that we actually have that manga, because it is definitely their less mainstream work available.
Claudine, about an FtM transgender's life.
Natsu e no Tobira. You can ignore the "shouen-ai" tag, it's not a BL manga. It's a "coming of age" story.
Toki wo Yuku Uma. A poetic manga, slice-of-life thing.
R is For Rocket. A manga adaptation of some Rey Bradbury sci-fi/fantasy novels.
Z. An espionage manga. It is the exception, being 2 volumes-long, but it is actually a spin-off of From Eroica With Love which is BL (but Z is not), that's probably why it was translated despite its """huge""" length. This is actually the only completely scanlated work from the Year 24 that I haven't read yet. I plan to read it for that challenge.

Other than those ones, they're all BL/Gl, or one-shots (some are really excellent, like Hanshin or Changeling), that's the case of the "horror" manga I mentioned in the FAQ notably.

But even so, their "BL" or "GL" works aren't comparable to what we have today. Like try A-A', even if it doesn't have the "shounen-ai" tag, it does feature a male/male romance (along-side with male/female ones).
But that manga is foremost a hard sci-fi work.
That's the thing, in the West we consider Moto Hagio as a "BL mangaka" while she is really a sci-fi mangaka, which happens to sometime use male homosexuality in her works.
removed-userJan 22, 2017 12:58 PM
Jan 22, 2017 1:23 PM

Oct 2009
lady_freyja said:

It surprised me.
So I looked a little into it.
It seems she attended to the "school" of gekiga created by Kazuo Koike, but it seems she never said doing gekiga.
Beside some dōjinshi, her work the most influenced by what she learned in that school seems to be Maison Ikkoku.

But for me, the gekiga movement died after the 70s decade.

Actually, I think it would be helpful to have "definition" of what manga are "gekiga" for the challenge.

Yeah, I agree. A clear definition would be helpful. ˆ-ˆ'
But I'm curious, why do you think "Maison Ikkoku" would be closer to gekiga than "P no Higeki"? What characteristics are you looking for?
Jan 22, 2017 1:44 PM
Jul 2018
i_yuuko-chan said:
Yeah, I agree. A clear definition would be helpful. ˆ-ˆ'
But I'm curious, why do you think "Maison Ikkoku" would be closer to gekiga than "P no Higeki"? What characteristics are you looking for?

Oh no, it's not me.
I never read any manga from her (I just watched Ranma).

But I quickly googled "Rumiko Takahashi gekiga" and I took a quick glance at the discussions I found.
In fact the only relevant result I found was that discussion in French. Where people are debating about what is gekiga, and speak a little about Takahashi.

Normally, "true" gekiga were created in opposition of shōjo/shōnen manga which were deemed "for child" by the gekiga authors.

Gekiga author wanted to create manga "for adult", and thus a lot of them are extremly violent and/or sexual. As an example, check Lady Snowblood which is the "default gekiga recommendation" in that topic. へへ’
In that way, gekiga is the "ancestor" of both seinen/josei.

The gekiga also usually possesses a political agenda (hard left most often) or are social chronicles, like Kazuo Kamimura's usual works (unlike his Lady Snowblood) that are about the situation of women in the Japanese society.

Gekiga is also characterized by its more or less "realistic" drawing… well, that's the theory, I read that everywhere, but most of the gekiga I read so far don't have realistic drawing, I mean more realistic than normal manga.

The last point is that the gekiga author are saying they are doing gekiga and not manga. They insist on that difference. You know, like those guys with their "graphic novels" against the "comics".
Nowadays, very, very few authors are saying that they are doing gekiga, the only one I know is actually doing dōjinshi.

Like I said, I never read any Takahashi work, so I cannot judge her manga. The best would be to know if Takahashi herself said that she was doing gekiga or not.
But at least her shōnen works, they aren't gekiga, that's for sure. Her seinen ones, I dunno.
Jan 22, 2017 1:53 PM

Mar 2013
You could also check if stuff was published in Gekiga magazines.
Jan 22, 2017 2:03 PM
Jul 2018
AudioTsunami said:
You could also check if stuff was published in Gekiga magazines.

Those "gekiga magazines" still exist nowadays, at least two of them.
Big Comic, where is notably published Golgo 13, Manga Action, and Garo which was defunct somewhat recently, replaced by Ax.
But Garo/Ax aren't considered as "gekiga magazines" anymore, but as avant-garde magazines.
As for Big Comic and Manga Action, today they are considered as seinen magazines.

In that way, Takahashi's seinen were published in Big Comic.
Jan 22, 2017 3:07 PM

Jul 2009
@lady_freyja ohhhhh, that's all so interesting o.o *read it all whether it was addressed to her or not*
tbh I always find it that whatever old manga I'm interested in is mostly not scanlated fully or at all, so yeah, it's very sad. while I can read scanlations both in English and Russian, this problem exists anyway. so now I'm thinking maybe I can incorporate the titles you mentioned in this year's challenge. would be very interesting, actually xD plus I'd love to take advantage of your detailed reply~
thank you so muuch <3
~by baba <3
Jan 22, 2017 3:37 PM

Oct 2007
@lady_freyja I'll work on a gekiga definition whenever I get some time for it.

I decided to include that and Year 24 group suggestions this year (although they were suggested for last year) precisely because I think it's worth it to try to raise some interest in those movements. I think that kind of manga can still be relevant now, even if just as a historical reference. Well, you probably agree with me.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Jan 22, 2017 4:59 PM
Pecadorrr

Oct 2014
For those who are reading, I just spotted a bug in the Calc Sheet with the last update (the version 36 hours ago) in the Finish Date of the Free Item (Manga). You should consider updating to the new one to correct it.

Jan 22, 2017 9:15 PM

Sep 2016
Hello!!

First timer with the challenge! I need a recommendation for #60. Someone recommend me a good manga ;)

My Manga List

I don't have any restrictions
Jan 22, 2017 11:49 PM
Jul 2018
@IcyWolfosKelsos

For what I see of your list, here a bunch of recommendation:
Kagen no Tsuki
Kare no Aijou no Hakari
Usemono Yado
Georgie
The Change

Whereas, if you want to try something really different from what you have in your list, but I think it might be interesting for you: Innocents Shounen Juujigun.
EDIT: that last manga could be useful for the "real event/person" challenge since it's based on a real crusade, and the MC share the same name than the real leader of that crusade.
removed-userJan 22, 2017 11:53 PM
Jan 22, 2017 11:51 PM

Sep 2016
Thank you @Lady_Freyja <3
Jan 22, 2017 11:59 PM

Jul 2014
IcyWolfosKelsos said:
Hello!!

First timer with the challenge! I need a recommendation for #60. Someone recommend me a good manga ;)

My Manga List

I don't have any restrictions

how about ouran high school host club, horimiya, or nichijou?
Jan 23, 2017 12:34 AM

May 2009
Hello, I wanted to know if shogi would count in this category: Read a manga that deals with something related to Japanese culture?

I would also be very happy if anyone would give me some manga recommendations. I don't really mind any genre so you can recommend me a few of your favorites if you want. Well, as long as they're not 600 chapters. ^_^
Jan 23, 2017 6:23 AM

Aug 2009
DeadlyRaven said:
Hello, I wanted to know if shogi would count in this category: Read a manga that deals with something related to Japanese culture?

I would also be very happy if anyone would give me some manga recommendations. I don't really mind any genre so you can recommend me a few of your favorites if you want. Well, as long as they're not 600 chapters. ^_^

Your profile mentions a liking for mystery, so you could try Akumu no Elevator, a super short read. Gokicha is somewhat similar to Yotsuba, and is the sweetest little cockroach in existence. Warau Kanoko-sama and its sequel are long standing favorites of mine, but Otonari Complex is getting there with only 1 volume out so far. And Jumping is a really good sports/growth story as well. For a late-night read, there's Fuan no Tane shorts and Junji Ito.
Jan 23, 2017 7:27 AM

Mar 2013
DeadlyRaven said:

You could have @MRC_mod check, but I'm gonna guess "yes" on Shogi. The reasoning being that not only is it a chess variant that's origin is Japan, but only Japan has professional ranks, 0 non-Japanese professionals, and the ranking system is basically a mirror of Japanese martial arts ranks.
AudioTsunamiJan 23, 2017 7:38 AM
Jan 23, 2017 7:49 AM

Dec 2016
Hello, I have a doubt with topic 62. Read an active staff member's favorite manga - Any listed in their profile. Remember they may change

It should be the first in their list of favourites or i could choose any one of the 10's?
In most cases i have read the first.
Jan 23, 2017 8:19 AM

Nov 2016
Yooo .. Anyone can help recommend me a completed-read manga for my #60 challenge? Any genre is okay, Thank you very much :)

Jan 23, 2017 9:01 AM

May 2009
@Selphie64
Thank you for the great recommendations! I think I'll go with Akumu no Elevator, but I'm keeping the others too.

@AudioTsunami
Thank you for clearing that up. That's what I thought too, but I wasn't too sure. I'll just ask mrc_mod for confirmation, just in case.

@MRC_mod
I wanted to know if shogi would count in this category: Read a manga that deals with something related to Japanese culture?
Jan 23, 2017 9:09 AM

Dec 2016
CAPSKURUSAK said:
Yooo .. Anyone can help recommend me a completed-read manga for my #60 challenge? Any genre is okay, Thank you very much :)

I think you would like Hetakoi or Yubisaki Milk Tea
Jan 23, 2017 9:23 AM

Sep 2016
@dumblypoo Thank you <3
Jan 23, 2017 10:44 AM

Mar 2013
Kassitero said:
Hello, I have a doubt with topic 62. Read an active staff member's favorite manga - Any listed in their profile. Remember they may change

It should be the first in their list of favourites or i could choose any one of the 10's?
In most cases i have read the first.

any of them. doesn't matter the order.
Jan 23, 2017 12:04 PM

Nov 2016
Kassitero said:
I think you would like Hetakoi or Yubisaki Milk Tea

Uwooh .. Great recommend .. Thank you very much mate ;)

Jan 23, 2017 1:20 PM

Jul 2016
a recommendation for
#60 Read a manga recommended to you by another Manga Reading Challenge participant in the discussion thread - Add a link to the post here
please :3

based on my favorites would be nice, but it doesn't have to be.

only two restrictions: not more than 40 chapters and I can read the full manga/manhwa/manhua online (so in other words completely translated) ~

"Happy Unbirthday."

set by ani
Jan 23, 2017 1:38 PM
Jan 2017
Hi! I'm new to MAL and started the anime challenge as well as the manga challenge. I'm sort of experienced with anime but I'm a complete noob when it comes to manga. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for challenge 2: a collection of short stories.
Jan 23, 2017 9:30 PM

Jun 2014
NaineLIEz said:
a recommendation for
#60 Read a manga recommended to you by another Manga Reading Challenge participant in the discussion thread - Add a link to the post here

only two restrictions: not more than 40 chapters and I can read the full manga/manhwa/manhua online (so in other words completely translated) ~

Houkago x Ponytail is only 6 chapters long, fully scanlated, and one of my favourites. Hope you like it ~
Jan 24, 2017 12:50 AM

Feb 2016
So I was about to start on challenge #3, and I found a webcomic I wanted to read, however it is not listed on MAL. The link for it is here : http://www.anime-planet.com/manga/tower-of-god
I was wondering if this would count?
Jan 24, 2017 1:55 AM

Jul 2012
@CrossWiredGarden you can link to Baka-Updates for any manga you can't find on MAL. For Tower of God: https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=55901
SamiiJan 24, 2017 1:59 AM
Jan 24, 2017 2:37 AM

Mar 2013
NaineLIEz said:
a recommendation for

Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan
GTO

Kinfy said:
Hi! I'm new to MAL and started the anime challenge as well as the manga challenge. I'm sort of experienced with anime but I'm a complete noob when it comes to manga. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for challenge 2: a collection of short stories.

Kikimimi Zukan,
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (26) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» 8 Manga to Get to Know You

spaceslut - Mar 12, 2023

36 by Dotanuki »»
5 hours ago

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

376 by HapHazrD »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Manga or Light Novels: Which do you prefer?

Digibutter64 - Jan 1, 2020

29 by Jutrio »»
Yesterday, 10:43 PM

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Manga/Character' Thread v3 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 19, 2022

1053 by Alexioos95 »»
Yesterday, 10:41 PM

» How many chapters do you read a month?

Rissio - Apr 4

22 by Jutrio »»
Yesterday, 10:40 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.