Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Descending Stories
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 6, 2017 9:59 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This was great.

Shouwa returns in the style with excitement and fashion of entertainment as I remember last year's Winter. So far, I'm entertained by all the main characters but especially Yotarou cause of his personality.

We got a rakugo performance already in the return episode as well. Ah I'm so glad this show is back, can't wait for more :>
Jan 6, 2017 10:11 AM

Nov 2007
Starting with Yotarou's rakugo talking about 1st season and his training. He also got his "Sukeroku" name after 10 years. Ishida-san's character's performance is sexy as always. That lady (daughter of Ishida-san's character's friend) gave birth without father, so Sukeroku decided to be the one.

Meeting a writer, who knows previous Sukeroku as well as rakugo so much. New rakugo?

No OP & ED this week, though OP clip is already up.

26:40 next.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jan 6, 2017 1:31 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Gotta admit, that was a pretty creative way of recaping season 1 at the start. Cute 4th-wall breaking

That aside, the still problems I've always had with the show seemingly remain (not that I was expecting anything else), but that aside I feel like this season might come across as kind of a next generation thingy if it's all gonna take place in the present given that almost all of season 1 took place in the past. As for whether that'll make it better or worse... I guess we'll just have to wait and see
Jan 6, 2017 1:34 PM

Aug 2015
Oh man, I've missed my weekly fix of "watching old guys talk and not understand why the audience is laughing."
Jan 6, 2017 1:36 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Boy, that Yotaro x Konatsu scene was brilliant. Poor Konatsu being alone, i hope she accepts Yotaro into her heart completely.

I'm still wondering who the actual father of the baby is.

That rakugo-style retelling of the events of season 1 was very innovative, really liked that.

I'll be interested in what will happen with Yakumo this season.

The new character seems very enthusiastic about Yotaro and wants to work with him on new rakugo stories.
Jan 6, 2017 1:37 PM

Jan 2012
We're back at last! Nice re-introduction episode and intro. Feels good to get a taste of those rakugo scenes again. :D Yotaro seems to be doing pretty well all things considered. Taking Sukeroku's name, wooing Konatsu...kinda, and focusing on a goal: ensuring rakugo lives on in the new age. Konatsu is still the character who interests me the most, though it's too early to speculate how her part will play out. Well, that's all for now I guess. :D
Jan 6, 2017 1:41 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
my internet had to be a piece of shit today of all day.
At least, King Records uploaded the OP today while i wait a good moment to watch it (heard that its not in the episode today)
and boi, its so fucking good. Even more hyped after this.

STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jan 6, 2017 1:44 PM

Sep 2011
This was a nice return, im accepting that this season will be no where near as good as S1 as its not going to have the charm of being a period piece tragedy, but i still think this season will be a good time.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jan 6, 2017 1:54 PM

Dec 2014
Oh, anime rakugo, how have I missed you so.

Great start. Recap from first season did not piss me off, and I actually enjoyed it. Yotaro's pretty damn charismatic.
I need sleep.
Jan 6, 2017 2:16 PM

Mar 2012
So great. I agree on the recap format they used being inspired and working extremely well. Yotaro was my favorite character even last season and while I enjoyed all the backstory I was always sad there wasn't more of him, so I'm really looking forward to him playing a prominent role this season. He was already delightful in this ep and there are a lot of interesting dramatic plot points that have already been introduced.
Jan 6, 2017 2:22 PM

Aug 2012
Really entertaining stuff. Loved Yotaro's Rakugo Recap. At the moment, this season greatest strength seems to be charm, Yotaro is just a really entertaining and endearing character. It doesn't speak to me as strongly but there's more than enough time to change that, and the OP indicates that it will, but for now this was a really strong upbeat first episode. Perhaps my favorite moment of the entire premiere that was the reveal that Yotaro's new backer was the guy Kikuhiko turned down back in episode 10.

And if anyone doubts that this will be Anime of the Year, next episode looking to prove them all wrong.
Jan 6, 2017 2:25 PM
May 2010
I have to say I'm a bit lost. I might have to check a few of the last episodes of the first season.

But could you guys tell me something. Whose baby is it? Is Konatsu into Yakumo? I feel like I missed half of the first season but I can't for a god's love remember what is actually going on?

Thank you :-).
Jan 6, 2017 2:25 PM

Nov 2007
As this was my AOTY, i sure was and still am hyped.
And the first episode certainly didn't disappoint. Special shout-out to cute recap and Ishida Akira's voice acting.
The opening is beautiful,holy shit.
Jan 6, 2017 2:29 PM
Aug 2011
Yotaro performing his own recap... greatness haha, that's how you do it.

Still love all the nuances in the characters voices, the voice work/delivery in this series is pure excellence. I know it's just January but i'm sure that only a few series throughout the year will reach this level. Otaotaotaota!
Jan 6, 2017 2:46 PM

Oct 2014
First AOTY candidate is here! I'm not expecting this to surpass the absolute perfection that was season 1 but here's hoping it's a good journey in its own right!
RainyRai said:

>not appreciating how much of a cunt Asuka is
How disgusting tbh
Jan 6, 2017 2:46 PM

Jul 2014
Thank goodness I finally have this series back in my life
Jan 6, 2017 2:52 PM

May 2013
This was really good as excpected. I'm really hyped fot the rest of this season.
Also, the opening is amazing, thanks to you who linked to it!!
spoon and rocket and cheese and me
Jan 6, 2017 2:53 PM
Nov 2013
Yotaro's recap was so hilarious. I didn't realize it was a recap at fort cause I was cracking up so hard haha.

As for the actual episode, what an amazing return. The scene Yotaro x Konatsu scene was so beautiful, some wonderful directing. I'm really excited to see how their lives together turns out.

I'm so happy that every once in a while anime fans are blessed with gems like this. This is my most anticipated show of the season by a long shot.
Jan 6, 2017 2:53 PM

Sep 2014
The masterpiece is back!
Gosh, how I missed this. The episode flew in an instant, I was legit sad they didn't make it a double format like the last time. From the very start the atmosphere is different from the first season, but this is the development I'll be looking forward to. Excited for all the new characters, the writer especially intrigues me. Really curious to see how his meeting with Yakumo will go in the next ep.
It'll be tough for such guy as Yotaro to keep up with all the philosophical conversations on the fate of art in this season :D But I support him fully in his journey to preserve rakugo - he has this burning passion in his heart that makes him so charming. The scene with him and Konatsu was so bittersweet, I actually held my breath when she thanked him. (we still need to know who the baby's father is!)
And idk why, but the opening makes me want to cry already... I suppose the season may likely end with Yakumo passing away (?), but there are still storms in his soul and memories that he will have to deal with. Maybe, the new people in his surroundings will change his views on several things.
Jan 6, 2017 2:56 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
At last some quality coming our way this season.

Not feeling Yotaru as a rakugo performer the way I did with Sakeroku in season one, but maybe he can surprise further on.

I wonder if the father of that child is going to be important later on.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 6, 2017 3:22 PM

Jun 2014
Awesome, the AOTS has arrived! What a creative way to do a recap, I wish all anime that use recap episodes did it that way, then maybe people wouldn't hate them so much. As others have mentioned, I'm not expecting this to be better than S1, but I'm pretty sure this will still be really enjoyable.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jan 6, 2017 3:28 PM

Jul 2011
From start to finish I was enthralled. My god, how I missed this series. No way something else this season can top this. @_@

Vico said:
I have to say I'm a bit lost. I might have to check a few of the last episodes of the first season.

But could you guys tell me something. Whose baby is it? Is Konatsu into Yakumo? I feel like I missed half of the first season but I can't for a god's love remember what is actually going on?

Thank you :-).

Unknown father. Yotaro wants to help raise her kid though. Konatsu's relationship with Yakumo is complicated - might be better to rewatch last season to get a better grasp on their relationship. She's the child of the previous Sukeroku after all, hard to say if she likes or hates Yakumo.
Jan 6, 2017 3:32 PM

Nov 2008
Forgot how much I missed this show! Thank da lord it's back
Jan 6, 2017 3:34 PM

Feb 2015
It's back and I love it.
Jan 6, 2017 3:49 PM

May 2015
This show is back. Nice. Konatsu is so sweet. :DD

Also, this writer was a that boy. :D
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jan 6, 2017 4:18 PM

Jun 2014
My love is finally back, I have been waiting for it for a LONG TIME. Glad that it came back better than ever.
Jan 6, 2017 4:30 PM

Jan 2013
Clever way to recap the story so far.
Fairly good episode
Jan 6, 2017 5:33 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
I came when i finally watched it.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jan 6, 2017 5:48 PM

May 2015
Glad to see this show back and off to a great start. The short recap at the beginning was really well done in my opinion. Can't wait to see what this season will bring!
ReverberateJan 6, 2017 6:33 PM

Jan 6, 2017 5:52 PM

Mar 2014
Yotaro is back!
Konatsu too! With a baby!
I can't wait to see where this goes.
Jan 6, 2017 6:11 PM

Jul 2014
So happy one of my fav anime is back
Great first episode can't wait for next week lol
Jan 6, 2017 6:32 PM

Aug 2012
Thank god this is back. The cozy tone and sweet, heart warming humor is something I just don't get at this level with anything else.

I feel like a lot of people are going to write off this season as not near as good as the first simply due to Yota heading things. And sure, the dynamic we got with Bon and Shin is special and can't be duplicated. But I honestly love Yota's character, and I think his time to shine, while a gamble, could break ground for this show(the writer's words about evolving Rakugo correlate quite well with the season itself) Every time he's on the screen he doesn't fail to put a smile on my face, and with all of Sukeroku's memories on his back, along with the great resulting dynamic between Yota and Yakumo, I'm very excited for the story he'll tell us.

Also loved Yota's scene with Konatsu. I like that she still hasn't completely warmed up to him, it's like her and it also really lets us feel involved as we didn't miss any huge developments despite the times skip, and get to witness them in realistic, linear progressions.

That preview scares me though...
Jan 6, 2017 6:37 PM

Nov 2012
Like others have stated not expecting this to surpass the previous season.

Hoping the yakuza from Yotaro's past doesn't get to much focus this season and more so how rakugo needs to evolve as an art form and what actually happened during Sukeroku and Miyokichi's death due to Yakumo being an unreliable narrator.
Jan 6, 2017 6:56 PM

Jul 2016
Finally, my favorite anime of 2016 is back for another season! Let's hope it lives up to my huge expectations.
Loved this first episode, I might even rewatch the first season now.
Futari wa Milky Holmes was a mistake
Yoshii did nothing wrong

Jan 6, 2017 7:29 PM

Apr 2014
OP is so great like last season's. (well to be fair they're quite similar) really interesting visuals as well

i already know i'm not gonna like this season as much as the last simply because the young main character is irritating and i was glad when he didn't show up much during last season. but hey, maybe they can prove me wrong
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 6, 2017 7:32 PM

May 2016
The scene with Yotaro and Konatsu on the bridge was cute. I especially like Yotaro trying to hold back his excitment.
Next episode seems like Yotaro is gettting himself into a scandal. I can already see the headline,"Local Rakugo Performer was in the Yakuza and not only that He Married His Sister".
Jan 6, 2017 8:10 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
The real AOTY 2016 is back and it's still fucking great

Yotaro breaking the 4th wall during that Rakugo style recap in the beginning was hilarious but man did I miss seeing him and Yakumo perform in front of a crowd

Between Yota wanting to work with that famous writer, keeping Sukeroku's legacy alive and being a good spouse and father to Konatsu (He really needs to stop calling her Sis lol) and her kid (But man that theory I saw about who the father could be got me fucked up lol), I'm beyond hyped for this season

Hopefully the new OP will be as awesome as the first one but other than that, excellent start

EDIT:

DatRandomDude said:
my internet had to be a piece of shit today of all day.
At least, King Records uploaded the OP today while i wait a good moment to watch it (heard that its not in the episode today)
and boi, its so fucking good. Even more hyped after this.

The symbolism in this OP is crazyyyyyyyyy
TokoyaJan 6, 2017 8:16 PM
Jan 6, 2017 8:39 PM

Jan 2011
It's so flipping good! I agree that I doubt this will surpass the glory of S1 but it will be good (and maybe better who knows) I have no doubt.
Jan 6, 2017 8:40 PM

Jun 2013
Recap was great, scene with Konatsu was great, scene with Eisuke-sensei was great (calling Yakumo the shinigami of Rakugo was on point). Loving all the close ups on facial expressions and mouth/eye movements. Already getting chills and loving the cinematography.

Ah yes, my favorite show from 2016 returns.
Jan 6, 2017 8:50 PM

Jun 2010
AvidAnimeViewer said:
Oh man, I've missed my weekly fix of "watching old guys talk and not understand why the audience is laughing."

I never expected to be so engrossed in an anime about the most boring subject I could think of, but here we are.

A very solid episode, I'm curious to find out what will this season's drama be about.
Jan 6, 2017 8:59 PM

Jun 2014
I love how this season picked up right after the end of the first! Nice recap by Yotaro also.

So glad to have this series back!
So glad that I'm not a huge manga reader, because the manga readers WHINE WAY TOO MUCH and have to RUIN every adapted anime for the ANIME ONLY WATCHERS!
Jan 6, 2017 9:53 PM

Sep 2014
I just love the vibe this anime gives off! The drama and historical setting blend in so well with the characters and atmosphere.

I love Yotaro's character, he is upbeat in the good kind of way.

Looking forward to the next episode. This probably would've been my AOTS if not for Gintama airing as well.
Jan 6, 2017 11:01 PM

Jun 2013
Yotaro is such a nice guy. He was waiting for us all this time. I like him.

Yotaro takes on the Sukeroku name instead of Yakumo and is now a shuinchi. And he wants to do rakugo differently. Yakumo doesn't believe in writing new rakugo stories since he believes it'll corrupt the art. But Yotaro probably believes that people of this time period don't have any interest in listening to century old stories so there should be something new. And with this he'll try to bring rakugo back up.

Nice to see the fun Yotaro returning. Looking forward to more.
Jan 6, 2017 11:28 PM

Jan 2015
Rakugo is back with a great start. I knew I could count on this to finally bring me some enjoyment this season.

Yotaro recapping through rakugo was very interesting. The scene with Konatsu was good, and the writer guy wants to work with Yotaro. I have my doubts that Yotaro will hold up as well as Sukeroku and Yakumo, but we'll just have to see.
Jan 7, 2017 12:00 AM

Oct 2014
That short recap rakugo alone is enough to make this a AOTY candidate.
"Whenever you fail at something, always remember that you won't fail as much as Usagi Drop did."
Jan 7, 2017 1:42 AM

May 2010
Ugh. I'm so in hype mode for this. For such a calm series, my blood is boiling.
Yakumo is still sexy asf.
Go, Yotaro!
Jan 7, 2017 3:25 AM

Sep 2010
I really don't get the Hype about this (Season 1 has a 8.6 Rating?) .. guess this just isn't my kind of Show.
Jan 7, 2017 4:15 AM

Dec 2014
I missed this show and am so glad it's back!!! ^_^
Jan 7, 2017 4:19 AM

Dec 2013
I really appreciate the recap at the beginning.

Amazing as expected.
Jan 7, 2017 4:27 AM

Apr 2015
Rakugo is so cool. I'm so happy it's back.

Yotaro improved a lot since last season. Yakumo is definitely a good sensei.

And Konatsu baby is really cute. I wonder who is the father...
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Who is the father of Konatsu's first child? *SPOIER?* ( 1 2 )

OGOTAKU - Mar 12, 2017

67 by Maahir97 »»
Apr 17, 12:04 PM

» Bit surprised to see s2 rated higher than s1

Korppi - Aug 9, 2017

11 by Pursueth »»
Feb 26, 1:41 PM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: Sukeroku Futatabi-hen Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 17, 2017

103 by prozyne »»
Jan 2, 9:29 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: Sukeroku Futatabi-hen Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 13, 2017

67 by silent_lurker »»
Dec 22, 2023 2:55 PM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: Sukeroku Futatabi-hen Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2017

299 by JulianR »»
Dec 5, 2023 9:48 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.