Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Jan 8, 2017 3:39 AM

Aug 2012
Scumbag friends. I knew most would be since last seasons drama but even Shiemi... I'm disappointed.

At least eye brows is still cool.
Jan 8, 2017 4:38 AM
May 2016
This confused the hell out of me at first, before I read these comments. I watched the whole first season yesterday for the first time, and then watching this episode was soooooo confusing. How can I forget the 2nd half of the 1st season haha
Jan 8, 2017 4:45 AM
Jul 2013
Nice start I would say
wew got nostalgic watching for a moment.. its like memories kept coming out of nowhere
Jan 8, 2017 8:59 AM

Jan 2012
I'm lost... they sure jumped right into it... It didn't quite feel like a first episode... Then again I've forgotten pretty much everything that happened in the first season lol
And oh the pacing somewhat felt off...
I had forgotten that Rin was such a stereotypical impulsive shounen protagonist... which apparently is hard for me to stomach now ^^'

At least we got some recap at the end of the episode ><
Jan 8, 2017 10:27 AM
Mar 2016
Whoa, wtf Rin's relationships with his comrade, seems to be more like a step back, and didn't that blond haired bimbo backed off of the training in the previous season?
Jan 8, 2017 1:44 PM

Jul 2016
AzuStar said:
well its better than the D.Gray man revival but whats with past anime ive watched lookin stupid as i get older?

It's called maturity
Jan 8, 2017 2:55 PM

Jan 2008
Ao no Exorcist Brotherhood, I called it back in the original series. They're following the main story instead of going into some alternate route like the old anime did.
Jan 8, 2017 9:38 PM

Jan 2013
Interesting there were some of the same lines but in a different location to episode 17 of the first season. I don't know about the whole stolen eye thing, seems random.
Jan 9, 2017 12:58 AM

Jul 2013
Rin is gonna be the death of this anime. I don't know if he was always this annoying or maybe I was just younger when I watched the first season but his stupidity and ignorance is bordering on Natsu Dragneel's level, which is the lowest you can go as a shounen protagonist. It's frustrating that the guy who should have all his power (Yukio) ends up with the short end of the stick.
Jan 9, 2017 9:22 AM

Jul 2015
xpaula said:

I also loved Izumo in this episode (I think this is where I started loving her in the first place) and it was awesome how she pointed out everyone's hypocrisy, in particular Shiemi and Bon.

Yes I loved that scene!

Cannot wait to see what direction the anime will go!

Jan 9, 2017 12:31 PM

Jul 2016
I am so frickin happy that Uverworld are the ones singing the opening! Cannot wait for the rest of the episodes!
"Between dreams and reality is the vault of your soul. No one could see the “Dream World” without this path." - Mushishi

"You can die anytime, but living takes true courage." - Rurouni Kenshin

“A strong man does not need to read the future. He makes his own.” - Solid Snake
Jan 9, 2017 1:57 PM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
Fantastic opening and episode so far! <3

And Izumo is the MVP!
Jan 9, 2017 10:04 PM
Aug 2016
Well know that I know that the series is supposed to follow the manga better i understand why the second season started where it did. I've never read any of the manga so i was completely clueless.

Hooked on seeing where the season is gonna go. ^^
Jan 9, 2017 11:40 PM
☆A-Qing's hair☆

Jun 2008
Bastards treating Rin like shit... Cept Izumo. You rock, eyebrows!

Jan 9, 2017 11:45 PM

Feb 2009
Nice seeing everyone back, I never read the manga for this but it went pretty strong first half of season 1.
Jan 10, 2017 1:38 AM

Jun 2013
I know that Ao no Exorcist is your stereotypical shounen but I fucking love it. I will always love it. Its predecessor may not have been the best but I still enjoyed it, enjoy the manga and I enjoy this. Come on, the MC is the son of Satan! lol

This is already my AOTS just because I'm such a fanbitch of the series. I'm not really looking forward to the other releases for Winter 2017 other than this and a few others.

I'm glad they're ignoring the end of the first season and acting as if it never existed. I also do the same. :D

My big titty Shiemi, my tsundere Izumo, my kansai-ben trio, I missed them all so much TT__TT

That Todo dude was obviously the bad guy from the beginning, he looked like a fake.

Can't wait for the second episode! ^^
臭い-
Jan 10, 2017 6:22 AM
Sep 2015
Did anyone else notice that they had the exact same lines as in the episode after the episode where Rin lost control in season 1? Like they just copied the script.
Especially Izumo and Ryuuji with how she isn't scared of him (even his reaction with really :o is the same) and how the murder of his family is Rin his fault.
It's all the same
Jan 10, 2017 8:04 AM
Apr 2014
NatalieGeurtsen said:
Did anyone else notice that they had the exact same lines as in the episode after the episode where Rin lost control in season 1? Like they just copied the script.
Especially Izumo and Ryuuji with how she isn't scared of him (even his reaction with really :o is the same) and how the murder of his family is Rin his fault.
It's all the same

That's because episode 17 (and 18 too) took some lines from chapter 17 (the second chapter adapted in this episode), which includes the scene in episode 17 where Shiemi is attacked by Coal Tars (in the manga they're having another punishment with Bariyons [due to waking up Shura], and Miwa's Bariyon attacks Shiemi). The episode stopped following the chapter right before that scene (instead, Shura just scolds them), so maybe we'll only see it next episode (I hope they don't cut it).
Jan 10, 2017 4:20 PM

Aug 2015
I'm happy blue exorcist is back. Now to finish on the not totally insane ending that season 1 had.
Jan 11, 2017 6:12 PM

Sep 2013
I was curious how they were going to pull off this second season without a reboot since the second half of the second season wasnt in the manga. I guess pretending it didnt happened kinda works.
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Jan 12, 2017 12:01 AM
Nov 2016
Xynic said:
I was curious how they were going to pull off this second season without a reboot since the second half of the second season wasnt in the manga. I guess pretending it didnt happened kinda works.

Yeah, I was a little confused as to why everyone was so pissed at Rin because it seemed kind of disjointed from the ending of last season, but I guess it's for the best that they just glossed over it.
Jan 12, 2017 1:14 AM
his sun
Jan 2017
Is it just me or does Rin's brother look fatter in the face at points?

9/10

-1 because how Bon and the others were being d*cklits. :<
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

his sun

e + s

3.16.23 <3

Jan 12, 2017 1:19 AM

May 2014
I like how they are disregarding all the anime original stuff.
Jan 12, 2017 3:06 AM

Mar 2012
Oh thank god they're ignoring the filler arc/ending of S1. I've been meaning to continue reading the manga (left off at the start of the chapter that covers the first part of this episode) so I'm glad S2 has decided to stick with the source material. Hope it stays that way as well xD
Jan 12, 2017 3:32 AM
Mar 2015
Nice seeing this series again. One of my alltime faves :)
Jan 12, 2017 7:01 PM

Dec 2012
Smooth and simple start with lots of quotable quotes XD Nice one :D And I do love the ED OST and the animation is awesome :D

- barely alive -
Jan 12, 2017 9:38 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Got done with my re-watch finally and I must say that it's nice to see this series with updated art, animation, music and character designs

Its also nice to see that they decided to leave out the filler and go straight back into canon and I must say that this was way better than the anime original version

I am beyond hyped for this arc and I can't wait to learn more about this Impure King and see how much more everyone grows
Jan 13, 2017 6:11 AM

Oct 2013
Yukio definitely can't say no to his brother 😂😂 i was hoping a bit more comedy in it. But one of my must watch this season
Jan 13, 2017 1:30 PM

Nov 2015
This is my first time ACUTALLY enoying anime.. wow. So i'll rate this show 5/5
Jan 13, 2017 3:10 PM
Aug 2016
So could someone explain something to me. Why was everyone isolating Rin? Ive only ever watched the anime so im not sure if this season is taking a different route from the first season or what not. But from what i remeber, at the end of the first season everyone was all buddies with Rin and happy for savinging the day and stuff. Why the sudden change of heart?
Jan 13, 2017 3:32 PM

May 2010
MoistPerineum said:
So could someone explain something to me. Why was everyone isolating Rin? Ive only ever watched the anime so im not sure if this season is taking a different route from the first season or what not. But from what i remeber, at the end of the first season everyone was all buddies with Rin and happy for savinging the day and stuff. Why the sudden change of heart?

Basically you need to ignore the entire last arc of the series, which was an anime-only filler. This season takes place right after Rin has lost control over his flames, and that's why everyone are keeping distance from him.
Jan 14, 2017 12:44 PM
Aug 2016
Kitsu-nee said:
MoistPerineum said:

Basically you need to ignore the entire last arc of the series, which was an anime-only filler. This season takes place right after Rin has lost control over his flames, and that's why everyone are keeping distance from him.
ohhh, thanks for the explanation. Really appreciate it.
Jan 14, 2017 8:42 PM

Nov 2014
Why does Yukio get affected by the miasma but not Rin?
Jan 15, 2017 5:48 AM

Nov 2011
Maybe it's because I just finished watching the first season, but certain dialogues were quite redundant and unnecessary, perhaps for this reason, and also for the many flashbacks, which I really liked this episode. The graphic quality is not improved compared to the past, just a bit. Let's see what happens in the next episode, for now I abstain from a more informed judgment, and look the other episodes to make me a better idea.
Jan 17, 2017 5:53 PM

Oct 2008
Since godly Sawano is composing the OST and OP is from UVERworld, i'm gonna follow this show! (even-though I haven't watched S1 yet)
The OP visuals were stunning!
5/5.

Jan 17, 2017 7:09 PM
Oct 2016
I only recently got into Blue Exorcist (I literally just started and finished the first season sometime last week), so I was a little bit confused when I watched the first episode of S2 and noticed that everyone was acting like they'd only just learned about Rin after his fight with Amaimon in S1.

Glad I bothered to look up what was going on. This reminds me of when Black Butler diverged from canon after the Curry arc in S2 (that was...heh...).

So, from what I understand in this thread, I don't need to watch the movie or OVA because they're not canon? (I mean I prolly will just for kicks but yeah)

Another question,

I will probably start reading the manga here soon so I can understand everything for myself at least.
Jan 17, 2017 7:18 PM
Oct 2016
Whoahoho said:
Whoa, wtf Rin's relationships with his comrade, seems to be more like a step back, and didn't that blond haired bimbo backed off of the training in the previous season?

Going into S2 without having read the manga (or looked up information on it) would be confusing for anyone who watched S1 to the finale. Basically the second half of S1 was all anime-filler and now they're going back to canon material, which starts right after Rin loses control of his flames during his fight with Amaimon.
Jan 19, 2017 11:16 PM

Mar 2014
So so so so hyped that one of my all-time favorite animes is coming back, and done so amazingly well! The years have been long waiting up to this.

I absolutely loved the symbolism with the ED. Especially with how it showed the Okumura twins. Rin looks more like a demon on the outside, but is filled with light (his optimistic personality). Meanwhile, Yukio, who looks like a regular human on the outside, has tons of self-doubt and inner darkness.

Wonderful callbacks as well using some OSTs from season 1 <3
Jan 21, 2017 11:56 PM

Jan 2015
ARE YOU SERIOUS WHY DIDNT HE LEAVE THROUGH THE WINDOW WHAT
Jan 22, 2017 12:31 AM
Aug 2010
juandmarco said:
That's because it wasn't Shiemi who stopped Rin's rampage, it was Mephisto. Ironically they forgot to show that scene in the flashbacks, which just adds to the inconsistency. And if you read the manga, you'd see she's just afraid of talking to Rin, not of Rin himself. She was just mad with him at first (as you can see from the flashbacks) and didn't know how to talk to him again after that.

That's completely wrong. I am talking anime here. Exactly when did Mephisto stop the rampage after Rin's fight with Amaimon? Rin even mumbles Shiemi's name while she is hugging him after he starts to become aware and before he passes out. The only scene after the fight with Mephisto is when Rin destroys the clock and he makes the comment Rin's lost control and that he's a handful. How can that be interpreted as Mephisto stopping Rin.?

As for reading the manga and using it as a reference to their personalities and behavior, after 50 years of watching anime and reading manga I have never found that useful expectations being what they are. That's simply not how adaptations work in any print to movie/series medium. Sometimes they follow the printed version more often they do not. If your going to engage in both it will usually end in disappointment in one of them.

Regardless of who stopped what or using the manga as reference many of the characters feel unbalanced when compared with how they were at the time this is supposed to pick up from. Granted it's to be expected with such a long break and depending on how long this goes on for may only be a small bump in how it feels to me.
digritzJan 22, 2017 12:52 AM
Jan 22, 2017 11:16 AM
Apr 2014
digritz said:
juandmarco said:
That's because it wasn't Shiemi who stopped Rin's rampage, it was Mephisto. Ironically they forgot to show that scene in the flashbacks, which just adds to the inconsistency. And if you read the manga, you'd see she's just afraid of talking to Rin, not of Rin himself. She was just mad with him at first (as you can see from the flashbacks) and didn't know how to talk to him again after that.

That's completely wrong. I am talking anime here. Exactly when did Mephisto stop the rampage after Rin's fight with Amaimon? Rin even mumbles Shiemi's name while she is hugging him after he starts to become aware and before he passes out. The only scene after the fight with Mephisto is when Rin destroys the clock and he makes the comment Rin's lost control and that he's a handful. How can that be interpreted as Mephisto stopping Rin.?

As for reading the manga and using it as a reference to their personalities and behavior, after 50 years of watching anime and reading manga I have never found that useful expectations being what they are. That's simply not how adaptations work in any print to movie/series medium. Sometimes they follow the printed version more often they do not. If your going to engage in both it will usually end in disappointment in one of them.

Regardless of who stopped what or using the manga as reference many of the characters feel unbalanced when compared with how they were at the time this is supposed to pick up from. Granted it's to be expected with such a long break and depending on how long this goes on for may only be a small bump in how it feels to me.

I'm talking about the manga. In the manga, Mephisto was the one to stop Rin:

And since this new season is trying to follow the manga more closely (while still cutting a lot of things, since they decided to adapt 18 chapters in 12 episodes), this is what is canon rather than Shiemi being the one to stop Rin.
Jan 23, 2017 1:28 AM

Aug 2016
My eyes were orgasming.
Jan 23, 2017 4:32 AM
Aug 2010
juandmarco said:

I'm talking about the manga. In the manga, Mephisto was the one to stop Rin:

And since this new season is trying to follow the manga more closely (while still cutting a lot of things, since they decided to adapt 18 chapters in 12 episodes), this is what is canon rather than Shiemi being the one to stop Rin.

That certainly would explain our different perspective. However my issue wasn't really with story accuracy between the anime and manga but rather the continuity and how it effected character development between season 1 and 2.

I acknowledge this is a unique situation with regards to the change with the story line and time between seasons. But I still hold that using one medium to interpret the other is a bad idea. I think they could have done a better job with the story flow. A simple addition to the flash back scene would have been enough to let us know that not only are things moving forward different but plot points prior to this may be different as well.

That said I will admit that given the latest episode, they are making headway in making the characters a bit more familiar to anime only viewers. I just don't want it drawn out given the 12 episodes and time before we might get another season.
digritzJan 23, 2017 5:16 AM
Jan 24, 2017 11:49 AM

May 2010
More Izumo is good--

The OP is so good-- best AoE song so far. Uverworld is amazing.
Jan 24, 2017 11:54 PM

Aug 2016
Ahhhh It feels good to see some more Ao No Exorcist even though I didn’t quite enjoy the first series.

Having the first episode start out with Yukio going out with stress over the sibling relationship and also how Rin and his friends still doesn’t get together kinda disappoints me that whats going to make the series great. For me its a pretty good start to the season 2. Adding with some comedy makes a really great start.

I hope I see some more fascinating stuff to the series and at the moment its going good.

Set by SenpieX
Jan 25, 2017 4:46 AM
Jan 2017
j0x said:
wow that was very good

Izumo being the best girl in this episode

and i like that conversation of Yukio and that human-demon hybrid

what really confused me is this same conversation took place in the cram school in season 1 and it was presented like this info was brand new then.. So how can you have the same conversation 2x and still have the same reaction.
Jan 26, 2017 9:17 AM
Jun 2014
Xyfy said:
Why does Yukio get affected by the miasma but not Rin?

To answer your question. Demons can't get affected by the miasma. This is why Rin and Todo weren't affected while Yukio, the kid and all the other humans were. You can debate if Yukio is a demon or not, but I suggest you to be patient, since this "may" be addressed in future episodes :)

About the anime:

D.Gray Man and AO no Exorcist is one of my fave manga. D.Gray Man revival was okay-ish IMO, the only really down parts was the animation and art.

Luckily Ao no Exorcist has consistent animation and the art is consistent as well most of the time. The story isn't confusing to me, since I've read the manga multiple times. But I can understand why it's confusing to other people. They however did IMO well enough to show us watchers which part is none canon of the original AO no Exorcist with the flashbacks.

Currently 8/10
Art/animation is nice.
Music is okay/good
Story: Start is a bit off, I would've appreciated if they went a bit back, when Shura started to teach Rin how to control his blue fire with a short story recap, instead of just throwing us in a random momente during the first part.

Would that make the first part a bit boring and slow? Yes it would, however. Most of the anime is kinda boring during the first 1/2 of the first episode, because of the introductions. It makes it less confusing. But that's just my opinion ofc.
Jan 27, 2017 6:33 AM

May 2014
The Son of Satan Can't Be This Cute... I mean Ao no Exorcist is back!! I can remember liking the anime a lot, but that's because of Rin is such a lovable character. And the art is more.. subdued I should say. But I like it tho. Love the op song, though the visual is pretty underwhelming.

Jan 29, 2017 1:21 PM
Sep 2009
Talk about having shit friends... blaming everything on Rin who wasn't even born 16 years ago. At least one of them has common sense.
Feb 7, 2017 1:03 PM

Jun 2015
Wow, it's good to see Ao no Exorcist again. I missed it, even though the ending of first series was... Well, lame. That's what you get if you don't follow the manga. Still - I'm happy to be watching it again.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ao no Exorcist: Kyoto Fujouou-hen Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 3, 2017

85 by ningerundayo »»
Apr 7, 2:29 PM

Poll: » Ao no Exorcist: Kyoto Fujouou-hen Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2017

156 by Hayley2877 »»
Mar 19, 4:59 PM

Poll: » Ao no Exorcist: Kyoto Fujouou-hen Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 17, 2017

92 by Hayley2877 »»
Mar 19, 2:22 PM

Poll: » Ao no Exorcist: Kyoto Fujouou-hen Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 10, 2017

77 by Hayley2877 »»
Mar 19, 2:02 PM

Poll: » Ao no Exorcist: Kyoto Fujouou-hen Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 24, 2017

51 by Hayley2877 »»
Mar 19, 11:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.