Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Saga of Tanya the Evil (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jan 6, 2017 9:30 AM

Jan 2008
MAL forum, where people bash anything and everything and never enjoy something because something is lacking in there eyes~ Oh boy~~

Nothing new.

As for me, as historical shit it may be, I enjoy it because I see potential for not being a cute moemoe-anime.
Jan 6, 2017 9:35 AM

Dec 2014
I didn't have any expectation for this and I was blown away. I don't know if I'm just really excited for the new season and this being the first show I watched am over hyping it or if it really was just that good. This was so fun to watch. The VA and character design for Tanya wasn't very good imo but the really muddy color palette and battle scenes all but made up for it. I don't know where this show is going to go but after Kabaneri and Izetta I'm really hoping I can see a show in the WW era actually be good.
Jan 6, 2017 9:39 AM

Jul 2014
Well, it wasn't a bad start, but it really feels like something is missing for some reason, and I cannot for the life of me figure out why I feel like that so far. If nothing else, the Corporal's design is really weird (seriously, what's with those eyes) and she is also pretty damn irritating so far. Tanya, on the other hand, seems like a pretty interesting character, and by the looks of that ending she's pretty crazy as well.

This should be fun, I suppose.
Jan 6, 2017 9:40 AM

Jun 2014
Mother of edge...

Jan 6, 2017 9:42 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Zefyris said:
GangsterCat said:
waow that was boring

ANOTHER modern warfare + magic? lol it's going to be shit

also additional bad character design and voice actor

You realize that... The cast of seiyuu in this anime is gorgeous right? You're calling peoples like Aoi Yuuki bad voice actors? xD
You're gonna be in for a long ride with this buddy...Comments like that are gonna come by the plenty
Jan 6, 2017 9:43 AM

Jul 2009
Let's have a looksie whether or not this was their way of quickly getting viewers, as opposed to starting the same way the novel did with
first.

If they just continue chronologically from Rhine, they'll need lots of flashbacks to make sense of several things, but if they don't, they'll likely start with either

On that note, we didn't see any tanks this episode either, which we did with the same timeline in the manga, and the equipments both sides used to keep aloft in the sky differed a lot from both the novel and manga.

The numbers changed to a bigger degree than they had done in the novel & manga, sometimes with one unit's number, then some time later that unit had another number, but in this case, not all the numbers match with the novel / manga.

Finally I guess, is that Rerugen / Lehrgen (for us novel readers)
'Everything is impossible until proven possible.' - Me

Jan 6, 2017 9:46 AM
Oct 2011
Yeah no. Another season another otaku-pandering awfully written bullshit. Though gotta start somewhere as a new studio, and what's the best way to do that other than a one-dimensional loli general in a ww2-inspired world with magic?
Jan 6, 2017 9:50 AM

Sep 2012
I was so hyped for this and thanks god it was good as I expected.I really liked the OST and the animation.It's just for that era.So far better that shuumatsu x100.

Tokoya said:
OKAY, THAT EPISODE WAS FUCKING AWESOME

Oh good good.I wasn't the only one.

Zefyris said:
GangsterCat said:
waow that was boring

ANOTHER modern warfare + magic? lol it's going to be shit

also additional bad character design and voice actor

You realize that... The cast of seiyuu in this anime is gorgeous right? You're calling peoples like Aoi Yuuki bad voice actors? xD

Shhh....I mean we have the VA of Kaiki but who cares amirite?
Jan 6, 2017 9:51 AM

Nov 2014
Yay...hahaha i love the exaggerated crazy expressions, Youjo Senki look like the more craziest more than Hellsing, Jormundgand and drifters. Well done with the ost in the battle.

My only complain is Serebryakov design she should be a blonde, flat girl.

And they choose start in chapter 5 from manga, i dont know what vol is in the LN.

Edit: Tanya voice sound like a mix between Tooru, Tepes Mina and Victorique.
SephilJan 6, 2017 9:57 AM
Jan 6, 2017 9:52 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Candor said:
Yeah no. Another season another otaku-pandering awfully written bullshit. Though gotta start somewhere as a new studio, and what's the best way to do that other than a one-dimensional loli general in a ww2-inspired world with magic?
This is the funniest and most obvious bait that this thread has seen all day lol

>One Dimensional.
>Top lel
Jan 6, 2017 9:58 AM

Jun 2015
This was an awesome first episode. The action was pretty good, so is the sound and animation. The character designs are a bit weird, especially Tanya. She looks crazy. I'm liking her personality. Characters like her interest me.
Jan 6, 2017 10:01 AM

Jul 2016
As said by the LN readers, this show didn't adapted well the source, though still looking forward how the show will turn out. So far good animation with some flashy effects with magic attacks, and I'm kinda liking the psycho nature of Tanya.
Jan 6, 2017 10:03 AM

Jun 2014
I'm not sold on this anime just yet tbh. Well if all else fails I'll, at the very least, stick around to see just how evil Tanya really is, as I doubt this one episode showed us the full scope of her insanity.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jan 6, 2017 10:05 AM

Apr 2013
Candor said:

I'm taking the bait.
-Ww2 inspired? it's ww1 inspired. You don't know anything about historical military right? Confusing those uniforms with ww2 uniforms, oh boy.
-General? She isn't a general at all and far bellow that.
-awfully written? That's the hardest to read novel I've read in Japanese, and the level of depth in the thoughts of the main character, the historical references, psychology, sociology, military knowledge, and even knowledge of Psychology is very up there. The story writing itself has nothing wrong either btw.
-one dimensional? Would probably be hard to find a mc as developped as tanya in this anime season, but good luck.
-otaku pandering? I though that was ecchi, moe, and that kind of stuff and there's not a single part of that in there, but hey, what do I know.

Sephil said:

And they choose start in chapter 5 from manga, i dont know what vol is in the LN.

It's the middle of the first volume, around there. Chapter 3 IIRC, so they skipped the prologue+ first 2 chapters.
They're probably going to cover that with flash back and just choose to go in media res to catch the viewer's attention right away, but we'll see.
ZefyrisJan 6, 2017 10:09 AM
Jan 6, 2017 10:07 AM

Sep 2015
we go from lousy fictional ww2 anime to lousy fictional ww1 anime with added edge, ah the march of progress
N.etorare T.echnical R.esearcher
Jan 6, 2017 10:10 AM

Dec 2013
I don't get many people in MAL, you have already saw in the PV the setting , the flying witch in the little girl body, so if you don't like it just don't watch don't waste your time , stop bitching around, we had that last session with izetta , it's really annoying ,if you have anything constructive to say then say it or ....

I think it's a good introduction episode, it's only a fictional not the really ww1 story ,and I don't think it's even in ww1.
AlhakamJan 6, 2017 10:18 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 6, 2017 10:12 AM
Mar 2016

Does anybody around here have that feeling that ths isn't a typical good vs Evil, but evil being more evil kind of thing ?
Jan 6, 2017 10:12 AM

Sep 2015
Well the character design from this studio aside, sad to see members think Aoi Yuuki does not fit for Tanya's VA. But I guess people has different taste, but what not fit for you do not mean its bad. Considering her many VA role in many animes(to know more please check her VA history) which mostly on the good side, the evil role Clementine from Overlord done perfectly.

Of course and again if Aoi Yuuki is not fit, please name the Seiyuu who is fit for psycho nature of evil Tanya role.
valvravetruthJan 6, 2017 10:16 AM
Jan 6, 2017 10:16 AM

Aug 2015
I don't even read the books and I can already tell they changed stuff. In most sent to new world stories they usually begin with when the main character was on Earth, (in this case) how they were killed and reincarnated, and then how they grew up to the present time in the story. Idk why anime doesn't think that's engaging enough to draw in an audience, believe it or not it's not gonna kill them to put off fighting for an episode or two. A lot of the time, world building and setup before the fighting starts make it a lot more rewarding when it does happen. When backstory and whatnot come in after the fighting comes up it can sometimes feel interrupting. I just hope they don't rush over anything in the later episodes. Also, please do something about the character designs, idk if its the shading or the layout of the face (or both) but it looks way off.
Jan 6, 2017 10:17 AM

Dec 2016
Not really sure how I feel about this yet. Haven't read the source material, so going in blind and i'm interested, but not really hooked. I like Tanya well enough, she's fascinating. The animation is pretty good. I guess i'm also going with the majority that's not too fond of the character designs just yet.

I think this could be really entertaining though.

Anime was the catalyst of my life's downward spiral.
Joining MAL was the nail in my coffin.

Every day I keep screaming into the void,
but god just tells me to shut up.
Jan 6, 2017 10:18 AM

Apr 2013
Alhakam said:
I don't get many people in MAL, you have already saw in the PV the setting , the flying witch in the little girl body, so if you don't like it just don't watch don't waste your time , stop bitching around, we had that last session with izetta , it's really annoying ,if you have anything constructive to say then say it or

I think it's a good introduction episode, it's only a fictional not the really ww1 story ,and I don't think it's even in ww1.

Especially since the pv pretty much showed the key moments of the first episode, really. If you've watched the pv, you shouldn't be surprised at what you got there.

It is their ww1 in a way, as that world didn't had a ww1 in 14-18, they never had a conflict that become this huge before.
Jan 6, 2017 10:22 AM

Dec 2010
Tokoya said:
Candor said:
This is the funniest and most obvious bait that this thread has seen all day lol

>One Dimensional.
>Top lel

Don't reply and feed these trolls, if they continue the flamebait spam just report, the mod will take care of these nonfactors.
Fn76Jan 6, 2017 10:26 AM
Jan 6, 2017 10:24 AM

Sep 2016
Fnights said:
Tokoya said:

>One Dimensional.
>Top lel

Don't feed the trolls, and if they continue the flamebait just report and call a mod, they will take care of these nonfactors.
troll = people with different opinion XDDD
classic gamefaq- i mean, MAL
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Jan 6, 2017 10:24 AM
Oct 2011
"Oh someone didn't like my favorite animu, gotta show him how he's wrong and how his opinion means shit and how superior i feel now because I'm correcting all the incorrect shit he said even though he doesn't give a fuck"

Zefyris said:
-awfully written? That's the hardest to read novel I've read in Japanese, and the level of depth in the thoughts of the main character, the historical references, psychology, sociology, military knowledge, and even knowledge of Psychology is very up there. The story writing itself has nothing wrong either btw.
-one dimensional? Would probably be hard to find a mc as developped as tanya in this anime season, but good luck.
-otaku pandering? I though that was ecchi, moe, and that kind of stuff and there's not a single part of that in there, but hey, what do I know.

So you're trying to say that a loli commander/general/whatever the fuck her one-dimensional role is can exist in a fucking ww setting, and she doesn't give a shit about anyone just because hurr durr look how strong and cool of a loli I am. If that's not otaku-pandering I'm not sure what is.

Also please stop comparing novels to anime, they're completely different mediums of entertainment. I'm talking about and am, or was, watching the anime, not reading the novel.
Jan 6, 2017 10:33 AM

Sep 2011
I had my doubts I wouldn't like this series when reading the synopsis and I was right. There is nothing wrong with it per se, it's just that It's not my kind of series that I watch. Genre: Magic, Military. The animation was stunning to look at and the music was something else. Great job with Studio NUT with their first Animation Production, unfortunately I will not be continuing with this.
Jan 6, 2017 10:34 AM
Sep 2016
Interesting episode but the character design of the girls and voice of the MC is utter cancer (imo)
Jan 6, 2017 10:35 AM

May 2014
Interesting start, but good god those names are quite the mouthful!

It's nice to have a faux loli who is actually evil af...that psycho face at the end right there got me good- also Tanya's eyes are so pretty. I really like the art style...everyone has pouty, duck lips and I've always had a bit of a weakness for them in anime lol

Plotwise I have no idea what is actually going on, but hopefully that'll become clearer in the following episodes. I mean there were sorcerers who seem to use some sort of weird incantations in their artillery, but other than that I got nothing.

I guess Tanya mentioned being a "salaryman" whatever the hell that entails...is she actually a dude or something? Or maybe I'm taking the wording a little too literally XD
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 6, 2017 10:35 AM

Dec 2010
GangsterCat said:

Nope dude, troll is always a user not interested in a show who insult it and people who watch it without any valid argoument and knowledge, pretty different. When i don't like a show i simply explain why i don't like it, i drop it immediately and move on in a thread where there is something in line with my tastes. I don't continue to flame other people forcing my point of view. For example, Schoolgirl Strikers and Minami are, for me, awfull shows and for this reason i dropped them instant without any further comment. Is very easy and simple and is also a matter of respect of the other people tastes.

BDT87 said:
I had my doubts I wouldn't like this series when reading the synopsis and I was right. There is nothing wrong with it per se, it's just that It's not my kind of series that I watch. Genre: Magic, Military. The animation was stunning to look at and the music was something else. Great job with Studio NUT with their first Animation Production, unfortunately I will not be continuing with this.

This is an honest pov with a solid argoument. If you aren't into fantasy military then it can't be helped.

Strawberrycake48 said:
Tanya's eyes are so pretty.

The original character design of the novels is amazing and very detailed. :)
Fn76Jan 6, 2017 10:44 AM
Jan 6, 2017 10:38 AM

Dec 2014
I really wanted to like this but I found it pretty boring. The bullet attack was pretty cool though and Tanya knowing about the pillbox got me interested enough about the character to give the second episode a try.
Jan 6, 2017 10:39 AM

Sep 2011
Fnights said:

BDT87 said:

This is an honest pov with a solid argoument without insulting anyone.

Thanks, hope that everyone else who was interested will enjoy it.
Especially with that awesome soundtrack!
Jan 6, 2017 10:41 AM
Oct 2011
Fnights said:
GangsterCat said:

Nope dude, troll is always a user not interested in a show who insult it and people who watch it without any valid argoument and knowledge, pretty different. When i don't like a show i simply explain why i don't like it, i drop it immediately and move on in a thread where there is something in line with my tastes. I don't continue to flame other people forcing my point of view. Easy and simple.
So troll is someone with a different opinion who posts his opinion in the thread? Sounds the same to me.

Here's what you can do instead, respect that the other person has his own opinion and move on, no need to get butthurt because someone said he doesn't like something you like.

Mod Edit: Removed baiting.
ArdanazJan 6, 2017 11:05 AM
Jan 6, 2017 10:42 AM

Apr 2013
Candor said:
"Oh someone didn't like my favorite animu, gotta show him how he's wrong and how his opinion means shit and how superior i feel now because I'm correcting all the incorrect shit he said even though he doesn't give a fuck"

Zefyris said:

So you're trying to say that a loli commander/general/whatever the fuck her one-dimensional role is can exist in a fucking ww setting, and she doesn't give a shit about anyone just because hurr durr look how strong and cool of a loli I am. If that's not otaku-pandering I'm not sure what is.

Also please stop comparing novels to anime, they're completely different mediums of entertainment. I'm talking about and am, or was, watching the anime, not reading the novel.

Yes, it does make perfect sense. The anime started with the middle of the first book so you'll have to wait for explanations obviously, but with them, it does perfectly. She's only second lieutenant btw. If you know military grade, that's the lowest grade you can be when you get out of military officer school btw. That's more than tenr anks away from generals you see in that episode.
Also, doesn't give a fuck? What gave you that impression? She follows the order of everyone above her (and there's tons of peoples above her as I just pointed out above) to the letter. She also give a fuck about her own troops as well, and a lot on that to boot.
Also, if you're going to talk about anime only, how can you decide of the writing and logic after one in media res episode that has yet to explain a single thing? *SMH*
Either you take in account the existing novel to judge or you can't decide of the writing until far more anime content is out, that should be common sense....
But this is a Oretuee character, yes. And? This is war, no matter how strong she is she cannot win a battle by herself, let alone the war. That story puts the MC in a lot of very very harsh situation. This isn't a Mahouka where the MC actually can solve everything alone and do it effortlessly. There is also a cost (very heavy from the MC's pov too) to that power, btw. Yet to be explained obviously, as well.
Jan 6, 2017 10:44 AM
Oct 2011
Zefyris said:
doesn't give a fuck
I'm the one who doesn't give a fuck about everything you said (so maybe stop wasting your time). I didn't like the show because I thought what I thought. No need to write paragraphs for someone who doesn't care about what you're saying or doesn't like what you like.

So yeah, I didn't like it, I said my opinion, just move on. It's not that hard.
Jan 6, 2017 10:46 AM

Dec 2010
Candor said:
...both are retarded MAL, or internet, logic.

Great argoument, feel better or want toxic this thread and insult people more?
Also /reported.
Fn76Jan 6, 2017 10:51 AM
Jan 6, 2017 10:47 AM

Feb 2013
Well....this was better than I had expected....of course I wasn't sure what to expect at all....
Jan 6, 2017 10:47 AM

Jun 2015
Good episode. The only thing that really bothered me was the MC's voice. Goddamn it was so annoying.
Jan 6, 2017 10:48 AM

Apr 2013
Candor said:
Zefyris said:
doesn't give a fuck
I'm the one who doesn't give a fuck about everything you said (so maybe stop wasting your time). I didn't like the show because I thought what I thought. No need to write paragraphs for someone who doesn't care about what you're saying or doesn't like what you like.

So yeah, I didn't like it, I said my opinion, just move on. It's not that hard.

You know the moment you post your opinion on a public board, you're pretty much accepting comments on that opinion, yes. And especially when your opinion is very one sided, you know you're bound to get some as well. Now if you prefer peoples calling you a troll as an answer than someone who took your opinion seriously enough to address it with respect, then what can I do.
Jan 6, 2017 10:51 AM

Dec 2016
Kinda got Shuumatsu no Izetta vibes when I watched this. It could because of the setting of this show and magic.
Jan 6, 2017 10:53 AM

Nov 2009
I just love her. I'll watch this just for her.
Jan 6, 2017 10:55 AM

Jan 2015
Very good animation but they skipped way too many information about Tanya kai the whole setting of the world that is so sad.
Jan 6, 2017 11:10 AM

May 2010
for some reason she reminds me of the Tiffany Doll from the Child's Play movies lol

i enjoyed the episode tho. we'll see how it continues.
Jan 6, 2017 11:18 AM

Nov 2016
I was looking forward to this anime and I'm not disappointed at all! (Well, actually only a bit by the MC's voice, but maybe I'll get used to it). The magic she used at the end was totally awesome!
Jan 6, 2017 11:19 AM

Jan 2017
iwsifakismag said:
Very good animation but they skipped way too many information about Tanya kai the whole setting of the world that is so sad.

I second your statement along with my liking of the vocal/music part, perhaps they will do the introduction in the next episode otherwise it'd be stupid if that was indeed skipped..we'll just have to wait and see.
Jan 6, 2017 11:20 AM
Apr 2014
I love this kind of MC. I don't like her design tho.
Jan 6, 2017 11:23 AM

Jun 2013
Stark700 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That was actually interesting. We got introduced to the main characters and the world of Youjo Senki. Takuya Tsunoki's new studio NUT animated this and I had get used to the character designs a bit. Plus, Tanya's voice..

In the meantime, I like Tanya's personality so far in this show. Quite fitting for the character.

Yeah Battle scenes are interesting, and hell yeas this is looking good. But I am actually quite Surprised

This started middle of the Story...if You have read Manga you know what I mean....Tanya's Past that should make this more informative has bee cut off....quite Surprised from that....Meaning who Tanya really si and why she is here....well maybe we see it in next episodes.

I AM ESPECIALLY LAUGHING MY ASS OFF WHEN EVER TANYA STARTS PRAY/CHANT of Lord....especially when I know the Real Relationship between her and So called Gods! XD
JarjaxleJan 6, 2017 11:33 AM
Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival.~Winston Churchill

"Fate of the universe will be Decided as it SHOULD be, in MORTAL KOMBAT!" ~Elder Gods

"Justice WILL Prevail?" "But OF COURSE IT WILL!! WHOEVER WINS, BECOMES THE JUSTICE!!!" ~Donquixote Doflamingo (King, Pirate, Shichibukai, Philosopher(?) (One Piece))
Jan 6, 2017 11:27 AM

Jan 2015
finalblast92z said:
iwsifakismag said:

I second your statement along with my liking of the vocal/music part, perhaps they will do the introduction in the next episode otherwise it'd be stupid if that was indeed skipped..we'll just have to wait and see.
I hope so cause it will be sad for such a good adaption
Jan 6, 2017 11:27 AM

Oct 2014
Tanya Degurechaff... a pure villain protagonist.
No more of those anti-hero wannabe bullshit? Hopefully. I love anti-hero, but tbh they've overused the troupe and corrupted its coolness.

ps.: btw wtf with the people complaining about Yuuki Aoi's voicing? Holyshit her voicing on Tanya is amazing!
Jan 6, 2017 11:40 AM

Apr 2016
Great and interesting start, but damn Tanya is evil and i like it. Hopefully this will turn out to be a great show from start to finish.
Jan 6, 2017 11:42 AM

Jan 2016
love war anime, love crazy mc
I never liked an anime this much after code geass and this reminds me of it
wars and an awesome mc
love it
Jan 6, 2017 11:43 AM

Jun 2013
MysteriousBanana said:
Interesting first episode, they did a good job showing Tanya's personality rather than opening up with the reincarnation to tell us what a hardass he/she was before.

The cutesy female character designs are a bit of an odd contrast to the setting, but I think I can get used to it.

She is evil little bitch...she was in past life...she is in this...I like series...but cannot wait to see her to die at some point...when I am not laughing my ass off that she has to praise Being X even if she hates Him! XD
Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival.~Winston Churchill

"Fate of the universe will be Decided as it SHOULD be, in MORTAL KOMBAT!" ~Elder Gods

"Justice WILL Prevail?" "But OF COURSE IT WILL!! WHOEVER WINS, BECOMES THE JUSTICE!!!" ~Donquixote Doflamingo (King, Pirate, Shichibukai, Philosopher(?) (One Piece))
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Youjo Senki Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 3, 2017

175 by Phixiately »»
Apr 17, 8:45 AM

Poll: » Youjo Senki Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 24, 2017

186 by Phixiately »»
Apr 16, 8:48 AM

Poll: » Youjo Senki Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 10, 2017

141 by Phixiately »»
Apr 15, 9:39 AM

Poll: » Youjo Senki Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 31, 2017

290 by suyumanda »»
Apr 10, 12:25 PM

Poll: » Youjo Senki Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 13, 2017

312 by Phixiately »»
Apr 10, 8:29 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.