Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Saga of Tanya the Evil (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 »
Jan 9, 2017 10:06 PM

Mar 2014
i cringe so hard in the first two minutes of the show. i dont like fictional stories based on historical backgrounds
Jan 9, 2017 10:08 PM

Jan 2011
MysteriousBanana said:
Faederwulf said:
I know this is only an anime, but I can't help but pick at the fact that the Nazis have females in their military.

But it's not Nazi Germany, it's Imperial Germany. All of their equipment (minus the magic) and tactics (WW1 was the last war that made extensive use of trench warfare) are WW1 era, not WW2.

MasterHavik said:
I also feel the mages and this whole magic thing kind of came out of nowhere.

Anyway I only got three shows to watch this winter, I'll muscle through it. I feel they should have just made an original show than adapting something too complex to become an anime.

They'll explain the magic bit eventually, hopefully in the next episode, as it's a huge part of Tanya's background.
With how straight forward this show is. It may be done in tow minutes just to give us more action set pieces.

ButtSlapper said:
i cringe so hard in the first two minutes of the show. i dont like fictional stories based on historical backgrounds
May I suggest Valkyrie Chronicles then?
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Jan 9, 2017 10:12 PM
Jul 2018
MysteriousBanana said:
Faederwulf said:
I know this is only an anime, but I can't help but pick at the fact that the Nazis have females in their military.

But it's not Nazi Germany, it's Imperial Germany. All of their equipment (minus the magic) and tactics (WW1 was the last war that made extensive use of trench warfare) are WW1 era, not WW2.

Ah, my bad. I glossed over it because of the evil loli, as I'm used to the premise of ebil Nazis doing ebil things (although Japan has less of such propaganda and was allied to the Nazis during WWII, so it's less prevalent in their entertainment). The German flag should have made it obvious to me.
Jan 10, 2017 12:58 AM

Aug 2014
Interesting start.
Though I'm not sure why does Tanya have to be a loli. This anime could be off without her being a loli? I'll dig it either way tho.
Jan 10, 2017 1:05 AM

May 2016
Ok one thing guys(novel readers), How did she dodge all the bullet? is there some trick behind it? The only thing we saw is her speed was fast (as she boosted it with magic). But tbh not convincing enough for flying around and dodging bullet. Does she have magic that make her eyes able to follow bullets speed or something?

Kay_Lite said:
Interesting start.
Though I'm not sure why does Tanya have to be a loli. This anime could be off without her being a loli? I'll dig it either way tho.
tbh I'm wondering about that too.
But the selling point of loli is them being cute right? Even with Yandere loli or so, they would only have them a twist personality but still come with cute design. Tanya is nothing like that. (or least for me, I don't find her cute in anyway)
So I curious what's the purpose of giving Tanya this frail body.
CactiiJan 10, 2017 1:11 AM
Jan 10, 2017 2:01 AM
Jan 2016
Kay_Lite said:
Interesting start.

Cactii said:
But the selling point of loli is them being cute right? Even with Yandere loli or so, they would only have them a twist personality but still come with cute design. Tanya is nothing like that. (or least for me, I don't find her cute in anyway)
So I curious what's the purpose of giving Tanya this frail body.

Cactii said:
Ok one thing guys(novel readers), How did she dodge all the bullet? is there some trick behind it? The only thing we saw is her speed was fast (as she boosted it with magic). But tbh not convincing enough for flying around and dodging bullet. Does she have magic that make her eyes able to follow bullets speed or something?

Jan 10, 2017 3:33 AM

Apr 2013
Kay_Lite said:
Interesting start.

It cannot really makes sense without the protag being a child, yes. So a shota or young girl yes.

MasterHavik said:
Zefyris said:
Okaaaay there are huge changes from the original story and on so many level it's impossible to list.
They intend to make a really straight forward entertaining action magic military I guess.
That could work for the sales I suppose, I mean the original material is impossible to adapt in anime as it is anyway. Like ten times too complex for the average anime watcher's attention spawn so that would lead to a borefest that doesn't sell, no a smart idea.

Guess I'll just sit back and enjoy the animation and Y.Aoi 's voice acting then. That could be a fun ride nonetheless. Not sure the animation will remain as good for long, but hey, can always hope.
But man Visha is really ugly in the anime. What the hell seriously.

EDIT :
@Tokoya : I didn't especially expect them to be faithful to the original story, and they were even less than I expected. Peoples wanting a good and proper military story should read the novels, my position on this didn't really change. Anime will be mostly for action and should be watched as such.
This can explain a lot for me then. It really felt straight forward and kind of came out of nowhere. I sometimes wonder why make shows like this if you are just gonna butcher it.

Anyway I'm checking this anime out because it's a new company and just learned the ex-cofounder of Madhouse and his team are behind this. With that said....my god what the fuck is up with the animation? It has that uncanny valley effect. Also Tanya's voice actor is unfitting. It sounds like a 5 year old ordering around grown men.

The faces and mouths are so shape weirdly. The voice acting isn't nothing to write home about but everyone is doing their job. I also feel the mages and this whole magic thing kind of came out of nowhere.

Anyway I only got three shows to watch this winter, I'll muscle through it. I feel they should have just made an original show than adapting something too complex to become an anime.

They're doing it for promoting the original work , like usual :).
However,
-If it sounds like a 5 years old ordering grown men, then it shows once again that Aoi Yuuki is doing a perfect job, because this is pretty much how it should sound.

-The animation is actually very good. It's a military anime, so it means lots and lots of movements in the background. If you want to see awful animation in a military anime, check out alderamin on the sky (studio madhouse btw).
Having so much individual movement is extremely costly, and I don't know if the studio can keep it up all the time like that, but anyway, they did a wonderful job in the first episode.

-The voice acting, music and the sound effects are particularly good.

-The "comes out of nowhere" is because like I said they started in the middle for an in media res. They will explain it in the following episodes (they already confirmed that they're coming back to what they skipped).

flssdd said:
Zefyris said:

Then again you can also clearly see that the anime studio put a lot of effort in the outfit, weaponry, buildings, technology shown in that episode to really put back together what it looked like back then, as well as put a lot of effort in animating the battlefield and showing it properly. I've honestly NEVER saw an anime putting so much effort in rendering a modern battlefield with that much fidelity.
So I would say that they clearly went out of their way to respect the military level of the original work in their own way, even if they cannot respect the original work on other things due to the "advertisement" nature not allowing it.
Other things like the sounds effects, music, voice acting are gorgeous too.
I wouldn't blame them so far, there's definitely problems with that episode but there are also surprisingly good elements as well.

One aspect does not make up for the lacking in another sphere. Especially when the lacking parts are the important ones for creating a good anime. The details are a very nice thing to have, but if the base sucks, the whole thing sucks. It's alternative reality so they didn't have to recreate the exact uniforms or weapons or guns, and that could be plausible excuse to just draw whatever. Clearly some people at that studio are better at their job than others. Kudos.
But even I can imagine a good starting point of the series with all the things that should, should not and could not be put in anime variant and very importantly how to be put in. With small changes and big changes that don't turn it into something ugly and illogically stupid and totally different from what it should be. All the things that should be explained properly and not just with some war map out of nowhere and someone talking or thinking just for the sake of the viewer and at the end still no relevant information whatsoever.
That was the worst introduction to the world, might as well open the first page of its wiki and copy it on the screen. The writing is very bad, the directing too, the animation on few places is awful, and having a few special meaningless effects here and there after that just makes the whole thing look worse. There is no story presented... like at all, and the trailer made better introduction of the characters than the first episode which is saying a lot. There is nothing to care about and nothing intriguing to latch on. The character designs don't deserve even a comment. Like I said somewhere up there "What is the point of this episode?" It fails on almost every front.
The rest of the good you pointed out... There is no need to defend them, I can see it. But they are things that the studio themselves are not directly responsible for - they don't create the sound effects, the music or the voice acting, and although good that does not save it, these are factors that can break an anime, but can't make it.
I don't need an audio book with some pictures moving around. I'm not saying it's shit cause it doesn't respect the original work, (i doubt they even read it thou). I'm saying it's shit because that's what it is. Why would the advertising nature of the whole project does not allow a good anime? The guy that did the historical research aside, maybe the others also have invested a lot of time and effort, but if that is their best, it's not enough, it's not nearly good enough. Like Tanya would say "You wanted to make that, but if you are too incompetent to do it, then die." You yourself said that this episode has some problems and that's a huge understatement.

Not really. First thing, yes you can definitively ignore some flaws when a show is particularly good somewhere, as a show being good everywhere is neither common nor a necessity.

Also what you're asking is the book themselves rather than anime episodes. And you're asking for a flop. You cannot have all those explanations you asked for. It has ALWAYS been obvious that they would not adapt most of those explanations.

There is no story presented because they made the choice to go in media res in the first episode, and they're going back to prologue + chapter 1-2 in the next episode.
In media res is a method of narrating a story which is as old as fictional stories are in our world (as the first known historically is the Iliad) so there's nothing wrong with it. And for any person that was unsatisfied for not getting explanations, I can easily point one or two peoples that enjoyed a lot going right into the action and was hooked by it. So it would be extremely difficult to conclude if the choice was good or bad right now.

What would help to conclude would be the resulting sale figures, but that's not available right now obviously.
ZefyrisJan 10, 2017 3:41 AM
Jan 10, 2017 3:53 AM

Jan 2011
Zefyris said:
Kay_Lite said:
Interesting start.

It cannot really makes sense without the protag being a child, yes. So a shota or young girl yes.

MasterHavik said:
This can explain a lot for me then. It really felt straight forward and kind of came out of nowhere. I sometimes wonder why make shows like this if you are just gonna butcher it.

Anyway I'm checking this anime out because it's a new company and just learned the ex-cofounder of Madhouse and his team are behind this. With that said....my god what the fuck is up with the animation? It has that uncanny valley effect. Also Tanya's voice actor is unfitting. It sounds like a 5 year old ordering around grown men.

The faces and mouths are so shape weirdly. The voice acting isn't nothing to write home about but everyone is doing their job. I also feel the mages and this whole magic thing kind of came out of nowhere.

They're doing it for promoting the original work , like usual :).
However,
-If it sounds like a 5 years old ordering grown men, then it shows once again that Aoi Yuuki is doing a perfect job, because this is pretty much how it should sound.

-The animation is actually very good. It's a military anime, so it means lots and lots of movements in the background. If you want to see awful animation in a military anime, check out alderamin on the sky (studio madhouse btw).
Having so much individual movement is extremely costly, and I don't know if the studio can keep it up all the time like that, but anyway, they did a wonderful job in the first episode.

-The voice acting, music and the sound effects are particularly good.

-The "comes out of nowhere" is because like I said they started in the middle for an in media res. They will explain it in the following episodes (they already confirmed that they're coming back to what they skipped).

flssdd said:

One aspect does not make up for the lacking in another sphere. Especially when the lacking parts are the important ones for creating a good anime. The details are a very nice thing to have, but if the base sucks, the whole thing sucks. It's alternative reality so they didn't have to recreate the exact uniforms or weapons or guns, and that could be plausible excuse to just draw whatever. Clearly some people at that studio are better at their job than others. Kudos.
But even I can imagine a good starting point of the series with all the things that should, should not and could not be put in anime variant and very importantly how to be put in. With small changes and big changes that don't turn it into something ugly and illogically stupid and totally different from what it should be. All the things that should be explained properly and not just with some war map out of nowhere and someone talking or thinking just for the sake of the viewer and at the end still no relevant information whatsoever.
That was the worst introduction to the world, might as well open the first page of its wiki and copy it on the screen. The writing is very bad, the directing too, the animation on few places is awful, and having a few special meaningless effects here and there after that just makes the whole thing look worse. There is no story presented... like at all, and the trailer made better introduction of the characters than the first episode which is saying a lot. There is nothing to care about and nothing intriguing to latch on. The character designs don't deserve even a comment. Like I said somewhere up there "What is the point of this episode?" It fails on almost every front.
The rest of the good you pointed out... There is no need to defend them, I can see it. But they are things that the studio themselves are not directly responsible for - they don't create the sound effects, the music or the voice acting, and although good that does not save it, these are factors that can break an anime, but can't make it.
I don't need an audio book with some pictures moving around. I'm not saying it's shit cause it doesn't respect the original work, (i doubt they even read it thou). I'm saying it's shit because that's what it is. Why would the advertising nature of the whole project does not allow a good anime? The guy that did the historical research aside, maybe the others also have invested a lot of time and effort, but if that is their best, it's not enough, it's not nearly good enough. Like Tanya would say "You wanted to make that, but if you are too incompetent to do it, then die." You yourself said that this episode has some problems and that's a huge understatement.

Not really. First thing, yes you can definitively ignore some flaws when a show is particularly good somewhere, as a show being good everywhere is neither common nor a necessity.

Also what you're asking is the book themselves rather than anime episodes. And you're asking for a flop. You cannot have all those explanations you asked for. It has ALWAYS been obvious that they would not adapt most of those explanations.

There is no story presented because they made the choice to go in media res in the first episode, and they're going back to prologue + chapter 1-2 in the next episode.
In media res is a method of narrating a story which is as old as fictional stories are in our world (as the first known historically is the Iliad) so there's nothing wrong with it. And for any person that was unsatisfied for not getting explanations, I can easily point one or two peoples that enjoyed a lot going right into the action and was hooked by it. So it would be extremely difficult to conclude if the choice was good or bad right now.

What would help to conclude would be the resulting sale figures, but that's not available right now obviously.
Look it's great you like this anime. I'm not knocking you for it, but.....

While yes anime is made to sell you something. I don't think this is a goo for anime watchers, since if you say the novel is confusing this will just be Rebuild movies then. Just much worse with crappy animation.

Uh..isn't she like 15, 16, or 17? If so, this voice actor is doing their job besides being not only jarring but breaking the serious tone of the series. This is like listening to Masako Nozawa(Goku) all over again. Listen, I have seen many female Japanese women voice younger characters and this is a joke. This is really bad and kind of inexcusable when everyone else around seems like they know what they are doing.

The music and sound effects outside of a couple of mortar strikes is okay I guess.

Uh....*faceplam* They really started in the middle of an ongoig arc. Wow...I'll never get Japanese animation studios. That is straight up stupid. Welp I am going to be lost but thanks for telling me they will explain the magic shit. But wouldn't have been smarter to actually start at the beginning and not in the middle of a fucking story arc?!

I can't wait to see the shit novel sells for this book after the anime is over. You won't be saying it is promoting the original work. Though once again fi you like it then fine. This is just my opinion.
Jan 10, 2017 4:25 AM
Jan 2016
MasterHavik said:
Uh..isn't she like 15, 16, or 17?

Tanya? She's 11.

Uh....*faceplam* They really started in the middle of an ongoig arc. Wow...I'll never get Japanese animation studios. That is straight up stupid.

I suspect they did it because that's the earliest they could introduce Viktoriya and Rerugen, both of which are listen as main cast members rather than supporting cast. The chapters preceding the Rhine front really don't leave any room to introduce them with more than a brief cameo, so rather than try to shoehorn them in the studio opted to start later in the book to introduce everyone to the cast before jumping back to the beginning.

I won't disagree that it's a potentially confusing choice, I can't honestly say I would've felt the same about the first episode had I not gone in with prior knowledge, but I think once they sort out the missing chapters it should be more enjoyable for you.

But YMMV.
Jan 10, 2017 4:28 AM

Jan 2011
MysteriousBanana said:
MasterHavik said:
Uh..isn't she like 15, 16, or 17?

Tanya? She's 11.

Uh....*faceplam* They really started in the middle of an ongoig arc. Wow...I'll never get Japanese animation studios. That is straight up stupid.

I suspect they did it because that's the earliest they could introduce Viktoriya and Rerugen, both of which are listen as main cast members rather than supporting cast. The chapters preceding the Rhine front really don't leave any room to introduce them with more than a brief cameo, so rather than try to shoehorn them in the studio opted to start later in the book to introduce everyone to the cast before jumping back to the beginning.

I won't disagree that it's a potentially confusing choice, I can't honestly say I would've felt the same about the first episode had I not gone in with prior knowledge, but I think once they sort out the missing chapters it should be more enjoyable for you.

But YMMV.
Still the voice actor could do better for someone who is 11. Thanks for filling me in though.

I can see that, but if this is suppose to make me buy something then I may just not buy the novels.
Jan 10, 2017 5:08 AM

Apr 2013
MasterHavik said:
MysteriousBanana said:

Tanya? She's 11.

But YMMV.
Still the voice actor could do better for someone who is 11. Thanks for filling me in though.

I can see that, but if this is suppose to make me buy something then I may just not buy the novels.

She's 11 but her voice is supposed to be especially juvenile. So if she sounds younger than 11, that's perfect.

Also like I said this is in media res type of story telling. Far from being stupid, this is almost the oldest way of doing story telling in the world. Now does it fits this work or not, was it a good choice or not, is another story altogether. Like I said above on that point, since it's an advertisement on the novel, the way to know if it's a good choice or not is waiting for the sale numbers and see, until then, it's difficult to say.

Because just to say, I really enjoy when the studio respects the original work to the letter (liek they did for RnY for example). The thing is, I'm 100% sure that respecting youjo senki to the letter would lead to the most awful sale they can have. No matter how much they sell here, I'm pretty sure respecting completely the work would have led to worse. Now, it doesn't mean that there's only one choice in changing the work, so what you complain about may be valid just as much, as they could have done things quite differently.
I'm curious to see the resulting sales, tbh.

And it's not that I "like" this anime (it's too soon to say anything on that). It's that I didn't expect anything of it because I do not believe it can be adapted properly, so I'm actually appreciating the efforts they made in certain areas that I didn't expect them to do.
Jan 10, 2017 5:20 AM
Oct 2007
Wowowow.. As a male watcher, I am so hyped after watching this episode. The story premise seems to be very promising!!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 10, 2017 7:24 AM
Jun 2012
i hope they make an animation on the side story as an filler ep or just special episode.
Jan 10, 2017 11:29 AM

Jul 2009
Zefyris said:

I don't want simple explanations and exposition. That would turn it even into a bigger disaster than it already is. I said myself that I don't want the book narrated with some moving pictures. And no, no, no, I don't expect a perfect anime. I'm talking in general. In many cases personal taste and biased opinion play very important role. I for one have seen and read many reviews, previews, comments, analyses and so on about Eva to know that it is a good anime, it's a great anime, it's classic, it's well done, it's a bright example. But I just can't seem to like it, tried watching it, couldn't finish it, I just don't enjoy it at all. You won't see me say a single bad thing about it thou.
In this particular case I really didn't expect anything. I know animation is expensive and making anime is time consuming, tiring and stress filled, needs a fine coordination and teamwork, I'm willing to cut a new studio some slack especially on the animating. I saw many young and many veteran animators mixed in the project, so with time I'm sure the level will rise. I'm not bashing on the animation quality so much. I've seen anime with bad animation, and I've liked some of them. (Kingdom is one of my favs and the first season has ugly, just ugly animation :D) For other series super special awesome animation is not necessary and can even be a minus.
But in addition to the animation, the directing and the writing are very poor.
In media res. There is nothing wrong with the method. But its use can be bad more often than not. And this needs to be done for a good reason. The problem is their reason either was "just look cool and op" or something else on which they missed entirely. And being in media res does not exclude good presentation and introduction of the world, the story or the characters (in most cases that's one of the main reasons for it). As I said they could've done the same and a lot more with Norden with fewer problems (which is also in media res btw). They skipped on Tanya's thoughts and monologues here and didn't fleshed out her character on purpose! and created one dimensional view of her (but hey, at least they explained what an explosion does with air and tried to explain what plan 315 is, which is one of the most unimportant things). They tried to hint something about the other characters with some facial expressions and dialog and so on, but failed miserably there as well.
I'm also not against changing the source material at all, but they half-assed it. It's such a mess that there are a lot of illogical things and scenes and you can be sure that a lot more will follow. If you want I can list a few and we see what people who read and didn't read the novels or manga think about them. The whole point of episode was the last 10 seconds and the 30 seconds destruction in the middle of the ep, and they needed maybe 2 minutes throughout the screening time to set that up. Even if they plan to change her personality dramatically and make her simple "evil op bitch", they are doing it in the worst possible way and it's just not worth it to watch 20 minutes of nothing to see 3 minutes of something of value.
We both see that most people like it, at least the most people who posted here. SAO also is very popular and not because everyone hates it, half actually like it, and that's fine with me. It's their own business what they like and watch and what they don't. I don't judge people for their taste. But don't tell me it's good and well made just because someone likes it. I also like some terrible things, but i know they are bad and I like them despite that (or because of that) or for different reasons (or who knows, maybe even without a reason) and even thou I like them, I won't defend them or make up excuses, because they are indeed not good and that's clear.
flssddJan 10, 2017 11:35 AM
Jan 10, 2017 2:32 PM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Hmm a ww1 themed anime eh
Pretty fresh idea actually
well trench warfare with magic eh

Hmm Having both Aoi Yuki and Saori Hayami as main characters eh
Two of my favorite seiyuu's in one anime
This one should be good

Hmm magic and ww1 era trench warfare is actually a good combo
Hmm so Tanya's the platoon commander eh
she's certainly skilled enough with both magic and firearms

Hmm so the main characters here are part of the empire then eh
Interesting
A plan like plan 315 won't work in the real world anyway

Trench warfare was hell in itself
But its depiction here is pretty faithful to it

Hmm so both Tanya and Visha are part of the assault mage company eh
interesting name there
Lol Visha is a new rookie then eh
Wow Tanya's expression when those soldiers disobeyed her orders
Those two are in trouble now

Being sent home is letting go off easy i think
Visha's expressions when Tanya was dealing with those two was hillarious
Damm but that was pretty close there for those two

Hmm Visha looks pretty different when she's in her war gear
Lol so those two were transferred to the rear eh
well they did want to be on the front though
but the rear lines is also the frontlines as well

Hmm Tanya is a harsh taskmaster but still a relatively fair one
But man telling Visha's status to the commander seems a bit harsh
Still i think that Tanya was worried about her as she is one of her subordinates

Its to bad that they weren't able to rescue their comrades though
Hmm Tanya's going to take on three enemy platoons all by herself eh
Wow Tanya's really powerful

Lol clever use of a decoy there as these guys clearly aren't interested in talking
Wow that technique that Tanya used in the end
Was really impressive and looks slick
Lol Tanya needs no support there
Lol there will no prisoners after such a large attack
The nickname of Devil of the Rhine is pretty good and apt
Too bad that those two corporals and Visha's classmates were KIA though

So Tanya arranged for them to to stationed there on purpose then eh
Truly the devil in disguise

Wow for a first episode this was pretty impressive
Some Interesting characters here ranging from the veteran and powerful mage Tanya played by veteran seiyuu Aoi Yuki and the newbee witch Visha played by veteran seiyuu Saori Hayami.
Story looks interesting and i like the setting
Interesting to see that the main characters are serving the empire though

I'll be interested to see where this anime will go after such a strong start
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 10, 2017 3:53 PM

Dec 2014
'Dissapointing adaptation. Very dissapointing. I was really hyped up for this, the anime I was expecting the most this season (Konosuba too, but that is a sequel). I read just the manga, not the novel, but this is horrible. Uemura Yutaka... this guy will be on ''not worth the expectations'' list from now on. My brothers enjoyed it, but it seem that my heart will bleed for each episode I will see.

I understand to brush of military elements and politics do to the fear of not being boring (tough, it wasn't that much of it anyway), but to brush of so much of the plot... amazing plot, that is a crime. At this point I won't be surprised if the reincarnation sub plot and her conflict with God was brushed of too.l. And even if it would be in the anime, is going to be weak and unimportat - is obvious from the way in which her prayer towards God was portraied, together with what was an actual really important fight, that had more meaning than: ''Hey look! A sadistic and badass loli shoots the gun!"

The fact that they chose to jump right in the action is a bad move too... It could had been ok if that happened for just half of episode and then go back in the past to her inceptions and present her reincarntion story )most would had done it in 3 minutes). It is very important for the reincarnation to be show early in the story, because it offers an explanation for her being a little girl - for someone who doesn't know the original story, this will look just like some loli feitsh, and brush off the anime fast. Doesn't matter if it would be explained later, the damage is already done.

They want to make some action oriented crap... But they sacrificed what in the hands of a competent Director and good studio could had been the anime of the season, or even anime of the year - this could had been the Re:Zero 2017... Instead we goot Izzeta version 2.

NUT - I hope this is the last story I liked that they will adapt... They are on the same level with Studio Pierrot at this point. Uemura, no wonder Gainax fired you... find a new hobby, you are not made for the industry!
Jan 11, 2017 2:12 AM

Dec 2008
The character designs in this is just so weird...
Jan 11, 2017 5:58 AM
May 2015
What a really good start. Looking to watch how they will do to duel with the complexity of the original light novel.
Jan 11, 2017 6:36 AM
Feb 2016
Ventris said:
Well, could have been a decent WW1 story without the ridiculous flying loli mage thing. And whoever approved the designs of the grills should get fired.
i agree idk how i feel about this the anime just looks like its gonna be standard light novel stuff. And if you want a good war anime i suggest joker game even tho its not truly a war anime.
Jan 11, 2017 7:50 AM

Apr 2013
Absolute_king0 said:
Ventris said:
Well, could have been a decent WW1 story without the ridiculous flying loli mage thing. And whoever approved the designs of the grills should get fired.
i agree idk how i feel about this the anime just looks like its gonna be standard light novel stuff. And if you want a good war anime i suggest joker game even tho its not truly a war anime.

In one episode YS did a better job as a war anime than most war anime in 12+ episodes. Why would you watch joker game instead is besides me.

Also, can you tell me what is "standard light novel stuff"? I'm interested here.

flssdd said:

I don't want simple explanations and exposition. That would turn it even into a bigger disaster than it already is. I said myself that I don't want the book narrated with some moving pictures. And no, no, no, I don't expect a perfect anime. I'm talking in general. In many cases personal taste and biased opinion play very important role. I for one have seen and read many reviews, previews, comments, analyses and so on about Eva to know that it is a good anime, it's a great anime, it's classic, it's well done, it's a bright example. But I just can't seem to like it, tried watching it, couldn't finish it, I just don't enjoy it at all. You won't see me say a single bad thing about it thou.
In this particular case I really didn't expect anything. I know animation is expensive and making anime is time consuming, tiring and stress filled, needs a fine coordination and teamwork, I'm willing to cut a new studio some slack especially on the animating. I saw many young and many veteran animators mixed in the project, so with time I'm sure the level will rise. I'm not bashing on the animation quality so much. I've seen anime with bad animation, and I've liked some of them. (Kingdom is one of my favs and the first season has ugly, just ugly animation :D) For other series super special awesome animation is not necessary and can even be a minus.
But in addition to the animation, the directing and the writing are very poor.
In media res. There is nothing wrong with the method. But its use can be bad more often than not. And this needs to be done for a good reason. The problem is their reason either was "just look cool and op" or something else on which they missed entirely. And being in media res does not exclude good presentation and introduction of the world, the story or the characters (in most cases that's one of the main reasons for it). As I said they could've done the same and a lot more with Norden with fewer problems (which is also in media res btw). They skipped on Tanya's thoughts and monologues here and didn't fleshed out her character on purpose! and created one dimensional view of her (but hey, at least they explained what an explosion does with air and tried to explain what plan 315 is, which is one of the most unimportant things). They tried to hint something about the other characters with some facial expressions and dialog and so on, but failed miserably there as well.
I'm also not against changing the source material at all, but they half-assed it. It's such a mess that there are a lot of illogical things and scenes and you can be sure that a lot more will follow. If you want I can list a few and we see what people who read and didn't read the novels or manga think about them. The whole point of episode was the last 10 seconds and the 30 seconds destruction in the middle of the ep, and they needed maybe 2 minutes throughout the screening time to set that up. Even if they plan to change her personality dramatically and make her simple "evil op bitch", they are doing it in the worst possible way and it's just not worth it to watch 20 minutes of nothing to see 3 minutes of something of value.
We both see that most people like it, at least the most people who posted here. SAO also is very popular and not because everyone hates it, half actually like it, and that's fine with me. It's their own business what they like and watch and what they don't. I don't judge people for their taste. But don't tell me it's good and well made just because someone likes it. I also like some terrible things, but i know they are bad and I like them despite that (or because of that) or for different reasons (or who knows, maybe even without a reason) and even thou I like them, I won't defend them or make up excuses, because they are indeed not good and that's clear.

I'm sorry but isn't that basically just your opinion without any stats ? In media res being often not a good idea, for example, where does that even come from?
What illogical scene did you see here?
Also pretty sure the whole episode didn't explain a thing about Tanya on purpose, for example. All of this episode was to get to that final moment. Now that they did that, they're coming back in proper order, and until we've seen how well they deal with it, we can't say a thing.
It's certainly far far too soon to talk about butchering right now.
ZefyrisJan 11, 2017 7:57 AM
Jan 11, 2017 8:54 AM
Feb 2009
Zefyris said:
Okaaaay there are huge changes from the original story and on so many level it's impossible to list.
They intend to make a really straight forward entertaining action magic military I guess.
That could work for the sales I suppose, I mean the original material is impossible to adapt in anime as it is anyway. Like ten times too complex for the average anime watcher's attention spawn so that would lead to a borefest that doesn't sell, no a smart idea.

Guess I'll just sit back and enjoy the animation and Y.Aoi 's voice acting then. That could be a fun ride nonetheless. Not sure the animation will remain as good for long, but hey, can always hope.

EDIT :
@Tokoya : I didn't especially expect them to be faithful to the original story, and they were even less than I expected. Peoples wanting a good and proper military story should read the novels, my position on this didn't really change. Anime will be mostly for action and should be watched as such.

You mean that magic system in the LN is decent?
Unlike the crap in this anime. Seriously, this was sooo lame. Only flying and magic bullets?
AAhh, this had potential!!!
Jan 11, 2017 4:07 PM

Apr 2013
Bozzzz said:
Zefyris said:

EDIT :

You mean that magic system in the LN is decent?
Unlike the crap in this anime. Seriously, this was sooo lame. Only flying and magic bullets?
AAhh, this had potential!!!

I never said such a thing in the post you quoted.
Although, kind of want to ask what you're talking about here. In that lone episode we saw
-Flying
-Granting various explosive effects to bullets
-Granting homing properties to bullet
-decoy magic
-calculating enemies position for the artillery and magically transmitting exact results (<- absolutely OP btw as this makes the artillery the kind of their battlefield and scariest thing to go against by far)
-shielding
-magic that allow them to breath normally in high altitude (so manipulating the air pressure etc around them).

Granted some of them were not as evident to detect, but even without those that's still far more than two in that single episode.
Jan 11, 2017 4:24 PM

Nov 2015
I'm watching Youjo Senki - 01 and I'm like xD
Omg jajajajaja I can't take it seriously... a loli of what? 7 years giving orders to grown up people... oh god, this is so funny xD even her voice is so baby like jajaja
Oh god, I can't stop smiling jajaja this is so funny xD
Normal soldiers are useless but a loli is the OP soldier jajajja

Oh japan.

I will say, however, that the audio FX are good, the sound is very good so, there's that.

And that's it. I couldn't take the episode seriously. And that end? Oh yeah, so much devil, very evil, wow.

2/5 just for plot. The animation was good and the sound too. The drawing style of this Tanya I don't like it, neither the other cadet girl in this ep. I'm not dropping it, I don't quite dropping series so I'll continue unless it becomes unbearable.
HumbertoZeroJan 11, 2017 4:29 PM
Jan 11, 2017 4:52 PM

Jul 2009
Zefyris said:
I'm sorry but isn't that basically just your opinion without any stats ? In media res being often not a good idea, for example, where does that even come from?
Also pretty sure the whole episode didn't explain a thing about Tanya on purpose, for example. All of this episode was to get to that final moment. Now that they did that, they're coming back in proper order, and until we've seen how well they deal with it, we can't say a thing.

I rarely talk with statistics and hard facts :D
It's not that often is not a good idea, but it's often not done properly, even more so when it's a whole episode. And it's just overused, and in the hands of a "copycat" it's a lot less effective, even detrimental. Most times is just a few scenes to hook with something specific, be it mystery, interesting story, premise, action, and so on. It's to show the audience what's to come and give them a little taste of the good stuff before it's really time to delve into the good stuff. But as we can't exactly agree on good and bad uses of it, it's too much work to search for big and exact examples to give. Just generally speaking, not just in anime - so many live-action movies and series start with something and then skip back with "few hours/days earlier" often with another pov. In video games it's used heavily to allow the player to glimpse on the various mechanics and major plots or to fill the excitement meter before the game settles into the slow initial progression. Sometimes it would be good to have it, but it's missing (and that's not something bad), sometimes it's good to have it, but not done quite right, and sometimes it's bad to have it, but they did it just for the sake to have it.
About Tanya... yeah, that's exactly what I said... They didn't explain anything about her on purpose, but you seem to think somehow that's not a bad thing. About the final moment of the episode, again that's exactly what I said, but again we differ and I think that this is just terrible. Why would you think it's a good thing they did nothing? They did nothing on purpose! This was the time we see how they deal with it, and they just couldn't deal with it. One episode is more than enough to see how good a show would be. If it can only make a garbage in its pilot, what more do you expect out of it. 99% of the anime with a shitty first ep can't climb out of the shithole. It may, may have a few "genius" like moment from here on, but what we saw will be the max level, it can only go down from here. I can understand people waiting to see at least 3 eps, but I can only agree on that about the premise, cause everything, everything can be interesting (that's one thing anime can teach you, no matter how retarded the summary sounds, it can be awesome anime). But the quality of the series very rarely rises up. Ofc there are many with good first ep that fall short later on, but we are not talking about them.
Now below are some scenes

and here is some parts of what the battle is the novels, courtesy of skythewood

these are just parts, but mostly is the whole thing, even if you don't plan to read the novels, this is worth a look
Jan 11, 2017 6:46 PM

Dec 2014
the laugh at the end got me...the girl is a devil an Akuma....
Jan 11, 2017 8:48 PM
Mar 2012
shuumatsu no nazi loli, oh this is fun.
Some great vas, the girls & a few old commanders sound familiar (from occultic9). But the god awful char designs... Animation's weird in parts but battles did have good execution, ost & intensity.
Huge amount of military infodump isn't the best way to start, just sounds like all 5 neighbors trying to invade nise-germany for some reason.
Jan 11, 2017 9:19 PM
Oct 2012
Cactii said:

I know some people have tried to answer this, but the real answer is: it was done for the animation. In the novel this scene combines 2 parts of the novel, and in first part Tanya is shot up pretty bad because she is willing to risk being shot to achieve her goals and in doing so is promoted to test a new weapon, which in the second part allows her to use superior tech to defeat her enemies (which is more what the animation shows).

So the simple answer is that she is next generation (NG) compared to other mages (or even NG^2), but while the animation (rightly) will skip this, the novel is primarily about this. As a first episode viewer, then a reader, while I really like the novel, I cannot fault the adapter for changing this. The structure of the novel makes adapting very hard, I am really curious to see what the adapter is going to do next.
Jan 12, 2017 1:59 AM

Aug 2016
This was a random choice for me, it's not usually a genre I'd usually pick. So the first 5 minutes were a bit like...what am I even doing here?

BUT I actually really enjoyed it by the end, Tanya's character is actually pretty awesome aha, I initially thought it would be cringe. Can't wait to see more of her!

Looking forward to next ep :)

Jan 12, 2017 3:35 AM

Apr 2016
Tell me if I'm wrong, but since the show is set on WWI and Nazism rose into power around WWII, calling Tanya (the MC) a "loli-nazi" is wrong, I think (I'm not sure). Just because she's from supposedly Germany doesn't mean she's a Nazi, right? Or are all Germans white supremacists? Honestly, I don't know anymore.
SPLAT! SPLAT! SPLAT! SPLAT! SPLAT! SPLAT! SPLAT! SPLAT! SPLAT! SPLAT! SPLAT! SPLAT! SPLAT! SPLAT! SPLAT! SPLAT! SPLAT! SPLAT! SPLAT! SPLAT! SPLAT!SPLAT! SPLAT!
Jan 12, 2017 3:37 AM

Apr 2013
HumbertoZero said:
I'm watching Youjo Senki - 01 and I'm like xD
Omg jajajajaja I can't take it seriously... a loli of what? 7 years giving orders to grown up people... oh god, this is so funny xD even her voice is so baby like jajaja
Oh god, I can't stop smiling jajaja this is so funny xD
Normal soldiers are useless but a loli is the OP soldier jajajja

Oh japan.

She's 11. And actually, those "grown up men" refused to take orders from the child twice in a row and even complained to be under the orders of such a child.
Her voice sounds very young and it's intended, yes.

BlackHairedBaka said:
Tell me if I'm wrong, but since the show is set on WWI and Nazism rose into power around WWII, calling Tanya (the MC) a "loli-nazi" is wrong, I think (I'm not sure). Just because she's from supposedly Germany doesn't mean she's a Nazi, right? Or are all Germans white supremacists? Honestly, I don't know anymore.

You're 100% correct.

flssdd said:
Zefyris said:

I rarely talk with statistics and hard facts :D
It's not that often is not a good idea, but it's often not done properly, even more so when it's a whole episode. And it's just overused, and in the hands of a "copycat" it's a lot less effective, even detrimental. Most times is just a few scenes to hook with something specific, be it mystery, interesting story, premise, action, and so on. It's to show the audience what's to come and give them a little taste of the good stuff before it's really time to delve into the good stuff. But as we can't exactly agree on good and bad uses of it, it's too much work to search for big and exact examples to give. Just generally speaking, not just in anime - so many live-action movies and series start with something and then skip back with "few hours/days earlier" often with another pov. In video games it's used heavily to allow the player to glimpse on the various mechanics and major plots or to fill the excitement meter before the game settles into the slow initial progression. Sometimes it would be good to have it, but it's missing (and that's not something bad), sometimes it's good to have it, but not done quite right, and sometimes it's bad to have it, but they did it just for the sake to have it.
About Tanya... yeah, that's exactly what I said... They didn't explain anything about her on purpose, but you seem to think somehow that's not a bad thing. About the final moment of the episode, again that's exactly what I said, but again we differ and I think that this is just terrible. Why would you think it's a good thing they did nothing? They did nothing on purpose! This was the time we see how they deal with it, and they just couldn't deal with it. One episode is more than enough to see how good a show would be. If it can only make a garbage in its pilot, what more do you expect out of it. 99% of the anime with a shitty first ep can't climb out of the shithole. It may, may have a few "genius" like moment from here on, but what we saw will be the max level, it can only go down from here. I can understand people waiting to see at least 3 eps, but I can only agree on that about the premise, cause everything, everything can be interesting (that's one thing anime can teach you, no matter how retarded the summary sounds, it can be awesome anime). But the quality of the series very rarely rises up. Ofc there are many with good first ep that fall short later on, but we are not talking about them.
Now below are some scenes

and here is some parts of what the battle is the novels, courtesy of skythewood

these are just parts, but mostly is the whole thing, even if you don't plan to read the novels, this is worth a look

I'll answer the content in the spoiler tag later as it's quite long, but I'll point out that the episode you claim didn't do a good job achieved more than any episode respectful of a novel I've seen before. in 2 days after the anime started (7-8 of January) Youjo Senki vol 1 sold almost 5k, and is therefore back in the oricon chart. Just to compare, Youjo Senki, Alderamin, Mahoiku for example didn't manage to rank in the chart even once their first volume during the 3 months of their respective anime.
We'll see how it goes from there, but the first week chart we see here is due only to the first episode. Their choice of using the full episode for in media res was good. If it wasn't, it wouldn't sell.
ZefyrisJan 12, 2017 3:51 AM
Jan 12, 2017 3:58 AM

Nov 2013
I'm already in love with this series.
Jan 12, 2017 4:08 AM

Jan 2016
This is FUCKING SICK! I LOVE IT!

so sleek, so cool
Jan 12, 2017 5:48 AM

Sep 2015
it's good. i like it. the german inside me approves of this show.

BlackHairedBaka said:

the show seems to mix deutsches kaiserreich with nationalsocialism (banners in berun). also while hitler's nationalsocialsm officially arouse in 1920 (founding of the NSDAP), the core of it is much older. germany, or better, all european states were very nationalistc back than and you would find many similarities between hitler and other european leaders.

though i'd still say that nazi-loli would be wrong

btw nazis were "germanic supremacists", not white supremacists
Nigami_ShinJan 12, 2017 5:54 AM

Jan 12, 2017 11:23 AM

Sep 2011
I liked it until she looked like a maniac when she knew that her underlings died... I mean WTF ?

Would've been better if she was evil to the enemy soldiers but kind to her own people...

I can't see a good ending here..But I will continue watching it hopping it will disappoint my disappointment.
Jan 12, 2017 3:01 PM

Feb 2012
Well, this is certainly outside most parameters...
In 9/10 cases, the worst thing about an anime is its fandom.
Jan 12, 2017 10:01 PM

Mar 2008
5/5 Lovin' it so far

I hope Tanya gets a nendoroid
Jan 12, 2017 10:01 PM

Jul 2009
Zefyris said:
But I'll point out that the episode you claim didn't do a good job achieved more than any episode respectful of a novel I've seen before. in 2 days after the anime started (7-8 of January) Youjo Senki vol 1 sold almost 5k, and is therefore back in the oricon chart. Just to compare, Youjo Senki, Alderamin, Mahoiku for example didn't manage to rank in the chart even once their first volume during the 3 months of their respective anime.
We'll see how it goes from there, but the first week chart we see here is due only to the first episode. Their choice of using the full episode for in media res was good. If it wasn't, it wouldn't sell.

Ok, look, I do not care about its commercial success or how much the novel sold because of it. There are gonna be people who like it and buy it regardless. I cannot understand why you measure the quality of the anime by that, it has nothing to do with it.
Jan 13, 2017 12:29 AM

Sep 2011
flssdd said:
Zefyris said:
But I'll point out that the episode you claim didn't do a good job achieved more than any episode respectful of a novel I've seen before. in 2 days after the anime started (7-8 of January) Youjo Senki vol 1 sold almost 5k, and is therefore back in the oricon chart. Just to compare, Youjo Senki, Alderamin, Mahoiku for example didn't manage to rank in the chart even once their first volume during the 3 months of their respective anime.

Ok, look, I do not care about its commercial success or how much the novel sold because of it. There are gonna be people who like it and buy it regardless. I cannot understand why you measure the quality of the anime by that, it has nothing to do with it.

In a way, it kind of does. The main purpose of ~90% of anime nowadays is to improve sales of the source material and those that don't usually don't get second seasons and often even have their source material cancelled.
Jan 13, 2017 2:10 AM
Jan 2016
I think I've just seen a version of Taiga from ToraDora here.....but with more magic and violent LoL
Jan 13, 2017 7:12 AM

Oct 2008
OMG! episode 1 was so EPIC!
one of the first few promising shows this season has emerged! hope the hype stays up to its class!
5/5!

Jan 13, 2017 9:04 AM

Apr 2013
flssdd said:
Zefyris said:

Youjo Senki novels are an example of novels which CANNOT be adapted properly in a visual media like anime. that's not "difficult", nor "doable with a very good staff". it's IMPOSSIBLE. the sheer way the novels are written denies it. I think we kjind of agreed on not expecting fidelity from that anime earlier in this thread.

So what's important then?
-Is that entertaining
-Since it's made to bring sales to the novels, is it doing its job or not.
I would say that both are a yes so far.
Jan 13, 2017 12:59 PM

Apr 2013
It's a good thing i read this synopsis before i started watching the series. I had such a great time watching this episode... smiling, laughing, and just a great time with some pretty awesome and cool scenes. I just love the characters and flow of the episode. Definitely a series i'll follow this season.

Jan 14, 2017 1:31 AM

Jul 2009
Zefyris said:
Youjo Senki novels are an example of novels which CANNOT be adapted properly in a visual media like anime. that's not "difficult", nor "doable with a very good staff". it's IMPOSSIBLE. the sheer way the novels are written denies it. I think we kind of agreed on not expecting fidelity from that anime earlier in this thread.
So what's important then?
-Is that entertaining
-Since it's made to bring sales to the novels, is it doing its job or not.
I would say that both are a yes so far.

Red_Ranger_Wien said:
In a way, it kind of does. The main purpose of ~90% of anime nowadays is to improve sales of the source material and those that don't usually don't get second seasons and often even have their source material cancelled.

I don't usually follow the sales and rankings, unless for something specific and rarely go deep in that area, but first time hearing about the source material getting cancelled because the adaption did bad.

Yup, we agreed that it can't be adapted, we agreed that they are gonna change, add or cut a lot of the original, we agreed that it's made as an advertisement for the source, we agreed that many people will like and buy, we agreed on almost everything.
But it could've been a great anime that is also entertaining and bumped the sales up. Instead we got overhyped generic action. It has too many problems in its directing, writing and animation for me to like it. I can't consider it a good anime at all and I'll not recommend it to any of the people I know. I'll even warn them to avoid it and that has nothing to do with the differences from the novels.
flssddJan 14, 2017 1:40 AM
Jan 15, 2017 3:31 AM

Jan 2011
This monkey looking bitch looks more out of place than the fucking little girl.
Jan 15, 2017 3:37 AM

Jul 2008
So this is the f*cked up version of Izetta The Last Witch.
Jan 15, 2017 5:48 AM
Jan 2017
I watched the first two episodes and I think they were horrible.
The character designs for Tanya and the other girl are ugly, not to mention the fact that they don't fit in with the rest of the characters which have more realistic proportions and features.
The story itself is uninteresting and while I haven't seen something like this before, something about it makes it feel fairly generic. The direction is boring and uninteresting and the dramatic moments don't have much impact because the direction doesn't doesn't aid the story at all through the use of interesting camera angles. It's pretty uninspired.
The story feels so edgy and it's trying hard too hard to be cool. The action sequences too were boring, they did nothing interesting and weren't all that tense. Seems like the writers are trying too hard to appeal to people who like shows like Attack on Titan or Code Geass but they're completely failing and on the visual side of things no one seemed to put any effort into it.
One thing I did like is that it didn't give an exposition dump on how the mage system works or anything (or maybe they did and I just forgot.)
Jan 15, 2017 7:16 PM

Jan 2011
Jan 16, 2017 3:09 AM
Feb 2009
QWERTYFish25 said:
Those stupid ass "sadistic" expressions made me dislike the show even more.

Seems like the studio thought they can improve on the novel and the result was the usual fail.
Art "improvements" suk too.
Jan 16, 2017 10:06 AM

Jan 2011
Bozzzz said:
QWERTYFish25 said:
Those stupid ass "sadistic" expressions made me dislike the show even more.

Seems like the studio thought they can improve on the novel and the result was the usual fail.
Art "improvements" suk too.

I think it was more of a "telling" and not "showing" issue. I can deal with the expression but it screams "she's a sadist! See!?" I mean we know Darth Vader's powers or largely power by rage, not even because of the prequel but mostly the due to how both the force was described (a highly influential element present in all of the universe) and through choreography. This one looks like it'll exhibit the same problems a lot of (modern) anime seem to have which is the nagging tendency to remind the audience at every turn of what (is supposed) to set this presentation's characters apart from the rest.
Jan 16, 2017 2:24 PM

Feb 2015
The show reminded me to Izzeta but with the progress of the episode we can notice that is very different, the blood and the kind of characters.
Pages (9) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Youjo Senki Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2017

147 by Phixiately »»
Yesterday, 9:38 AM

Poll: » Youjo Senki Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 3, 2017

175 by Phixiately »»
Apr 17, 8:45 AM

Poll: » Youjo Senki Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 24, 2017

186 by Phixiately »»
Apr 16, 8:48 AM

Poll: » Youjo Senki Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 10, 2017

141 by Phixiately »»
Apr 15, 9:39 AM

Poll: » Youjo Senki Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 31, 2017

290 by suyumanda »»
Apr 10, 12:25 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.