Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Saga of Tanya the Evil (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jan 6, 2017 11:49 AM

Jul 2013
When I saw that smile, how do I say this? Is a bit crude, but... heheheh...

I don't know if we are before the best comedy of this Winter, but it looks as ridiculous as I expected, and I liked how stupidly awesome the plot is. I mean, a sadistic, evil loli killing people? This was too much.

Let's see how this goes.
Jan 6, 2017 11:50 AM
Feb 2012
It seems my expectations were too high after watching the first trailer a while back.

I expected to see a military genius in form of a little girl, using strategy and decisive maneuvers to rise through the ranks, utilizing the resources she had at hand, outsmarting her opponents and so on.

Little did I know that it would be a pseudo-mature moeblob. Dropped (sadly).
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Jan 6, 2017 12:26 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Idk why but I just didn't like anything about this first episode. I mean, the action scenes were cool and all but beyond that everything kinda bored me out. Hopefully I'll enjoy it more later on.
Jan 6, 2017 12:28 PM

Oct 2012
Very curious where this is going. A bit confusing out of the gate and there's really no one to root for. Hoping as the mysteries reveal themselves we can feel some compassion for one of the sides or even Tanya. Also, she's a salary man? Hoping we get into that next ep too.
Jan 6, 2017 12:32 PM

May 2016
So...The only thing holding this anime for me right now is the psycho loli MC, and I bet the MC alone won't hold it forever. Also I'm not the biggest fan of military/war based anime and I always have a hard time following all the strategic/political stuff the side characters of these kinds of shows keep talking about. Like, when those man were discussing their strategy with the chestboard on the table, I wasn't getting shit.
HyperLJan 6, 2017 12:40 PM
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Jan 6, 2017 12:38 PM

Jun 2012
not a good start. a war that's not interesting to the viewer cause it lacks background etc.

it felt like everything happened just to show that the MC is ruthless, which is cringey as fuck
Jan 6, 2017 12:39 PM

Oct 2016
Pretty much met my expectations. Aside from the war scenes and that twist involving Tanya's decoy it was sort of average. Really like Tanya's design though. Visha's? Nowhere near as much.
Jan 6, 2017 1:00 PM

Dec 2014
Holy shit this was cool. Some very interesting idea combinations here. With it being a show by a no-name studio about a war though it brings back memories of the disappointment I felt with Izetta from last season. Hopefully this turns out better though. Also last time I've seen a seemingly evil and overpowered main character was in Overlord, though that show dumped that angle and just made the MC an anti-hero.
Jan 6, 2017 1:11 PM

Jan 2013
Great first episode, It's pretty intriguing to me so far.
Jan 6, 2017 1:15 PM

Feb 2015
SELFSATISFICATION
to me

holy shit that ending. didn't expect that at all tbh. when she was putting her man inside that closed spaced, i really thought she just wanted them to be saved which is why she put them inside that place. i think positive at that time. but god dammit i love the dark thinking behind it xD shit i just like that alot man. i don't even know why.

really like her a lot personally. girl in madness ? count me in!
she looks badass too in a fight. but that was gun fight. what about sword fight and fist ? can't wait to see it.

the story is okay tho. tbh it looked generic to me with that war tropes but the condition was pretty interesting. got surrounded with 5 nation from every angle and to know the fact how the empire can hold 5 nation at the same time was pretty interesting too. damn!
looking foward to the next episode.
Jan 6, 2017 1:17 PM

Apr 2016
Zefyris said:
Candor said:
Yeah no. Another season another otaku-pandering awfully written bullshit. Though gotta start somewhere as a new studio, and what's the best way to do that other than a one-dimensional loli general in a ww2-inspired world with magic?

I'm taking the bait.
-Ww2 inspired? it's ww1 inspired. You don't know anything about historical military right? Confusing those uniforms with ww2 uniforms, oh boy.
-General? She isn't a general at all and far bellow that.
-awfully written? That's the hardest to read novel I've read in Japanese, and the level of depth in the thoughts of the main character, the historical references, psychology, sociology, military knowledge, and even knowledge of Psychology is very up there. The story writing itself has nothing wrong either btw.
-one dimensional? Would probably be hard to find a mc as developped as tanya in this anime season, but good luck.
-otaku pandering? I though that was ecchi, moe, and that kind of stuff and there's not a single part of that in there, but hey, what do I know.

About the writing : how do they explain in the novel that the pillbox got destroyed? It's clear that Tanya wanted the 2 officers to die but you can never be sure a pillbox at the rear will be bombarded soon and even less destroyed. If there was a high probability of rapid destruction, they wouldn't build them in the first place.

So for me here, it's bad writing but it's only a detail so far and maybe it's better written in the novel.
Jan 6, 2017 1:20 PM

Jun 2013
hold up Hans looks awfully alot like Satou from Ajin hell they have the same VA
well that really good
Jan 6, 2017 1:25 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Izetta but now with lolis? I hope there's more to this series than meets the eye
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 6, 2017 1:27 PM

Sep 2016
The art is amazing, but I don't think this is really my cup of tea.
If nothing changes by episode 3 I'm dropping
Jan 6, 2017 1:40 PM

Sep 2011
That was a really good first episode. More action packed than I imagined, but I'm fine with that.
Yūki Aoi is godlike as Tanya and the rest of the cast is also pretty stacked. The animation really proves that a lot of Madhouse stuff is involved. The only thing I didn't really like that much were the character designs.

I'm really disapponted with the low rating and many of the comments here. Given that an action packed first episode gets a far lower score than the OPM first episode by much of the same stuff is makes me question people's sanity here. I guess a show can't get a good score anymore unless it has a huge franchise behind it, is some fujo/idol bait or a sequel to something no one but the fans watch.
Jan 6, 2017 1:41 PM

Jul 2015
Looks very, very awesome (besides the explosions), but I dont really care about the plot and the chars. So the MC already "killed" off 2 of the few introduced chars, so there is only this big eye girl (love her design, but it feels it is the wrong anime for that) and Tanya. Ok... The "strategy table guys" with the cliche chess figures didt leave an impression either..

If it werent for the beatuiful presentation Id drop this, but I guess I give it a try because of that. MAybe it gets better.
Jan 6, 2017 1:42 PM

Mar 2016
thelasthope139 said:
Otimo episodio,a OST tambem era boa, a animação ta realmente muito boa, minha pergunta é se eles vão manter esse animação nos proximos episodios.

Nota para a estreia : 9

You have to write in english because no one understands portuguese here, except me of course xD
PT: Tens de falar em inglês porque aqui no forum ninguem sabe português, exceto eu claro xD

If you watched 13 Reasons Why in 13 hours in a row (like me) you got my respect !
Jan 6, 2017 2:01 PM

Apr 2013
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:
Zefyris said:

I'm taking the bait.
-Ww2 inspired? it's ww1 inspired. You don't know anything about historical military right? Confusing those uniforms with ww2 uniforms, oh boy.
-General? She isn't a general at all and far bellow that.
-awfully written? That's the hardest to read novel I've read in Japanese, and the level of depth in the thoughts of the main character, the historical references, psychology, sociology, military knowledge, and even knowledge of Psychology is very up there. The story writing itself has nothing wrong either btw.
-one dimensional? Would probably be hard to find a mc as developped as tanya in this anime season, but good luck.
-otaku pandering? I though that was ecchi, moe, and that kind of stuff and there's not a single part of that in there, but hey, what do I know.

About the writing : how do they explain in the novel that the pillbox got destroyed? It's clear that Tanya wanted the 2 officers to die but you can never be sure a pillbox at the rear will be bombarded soon and even less destroyed. If there was a high probability of rapid destruction, they wouldn't build them in the first place.

So for me here, it's bad writing but it's only a detail so far and maybe it's better written in the novel.

She wasn't sure when she send them of course. She sent two peoples who wanted to die in a place with a huge painted target for the artillery, and in their sector the enemy artillery is currently quite left unchecked (that's a problem they're having at that time).
She first and foremost sent away two peoples who didn't listen to her order to not have them under her order anymore. That was the main point of what she did. She got two new soldiers instead of those two that disobeyed twice, and punished them by sending them in such a place with good chance of getting killed without being able to fight back (as this is what happens when a building is destroyed by artillery, obviously).

When Visha reported back and said those two names, she simply guessed that they were dead. Since they're no longer under her direct orders by that point, no other news about them could have been brought to her by her subordinate. So she guess it and isn't surprised because contrary to a popular belief, a pillbox isn't a safe place to be stationed in for several days when the enemy artillery do pretty much whatever they want.

No matter what happens, she already got what she wanted by sending them away anyway.
Jan 6, 2017 2:02 PM

May 2015
samesdday said:
not a good start. a war that's not interesting to the viewer cause it lacks background etc.

it felt like everything happened just to show that the MC is ruthless, which is cringey as fuck

Cringey is just a buzzword. Can you get an actual argument?

Jan 6, 2017 2:03 PM

Aug 2016
GangsterCat said:
waow that was boring

ANOTHER modern warfare + magic? lol it's going to be shit

also additional bad character design and voice actor

My thoughts exactly. Yawnfest 2017. But who knows, it might get better.
Jan 6, 2017 2:12 PM

Apr 2015
Amazing First Episode :)
Jan 6, 2017 2:18 PM
Apr 2016
Right after that generic regurgitation of young girls mages in an alternate history... World gets another one. What a challenge.
I will come out and say it right away, I hate this overly cringy crap laid over the history of humanity. Unpleasant, tasteless, ...cringeinducing. Each... and every time.
Oh and let me tell you how this disgrace is going to proceed: She is obviously evil, she is betrayed, defeated by others, "sees the truth" behind how evil she was, becomes good and defeats even worse evil. And it all repeats itself...
Re:formed
Jan 6, 2017 2:19 PM

Aug 2016
I liked the first episode but was not personally a fan of killing those two soldiers, I will continue watching through.
Imo I don't think people should be writing reviews after one episode but okay.

signature and avatar by SenpieX
Jan 6, 2017 2:22 PM
Mar 2015
Somehow I can't take this anime seriously
I hope it gets better...
Jan 6, 2017 2:32 PM

Aug 2013
Kinda tired of seeing alternate history settings featuring Germany and the world war plus having that setting with magic automatically has me concerned after dealing with the travesty that was Izetta last season. The animation was solid, kinda reminded me of Hellsing mixed with some Madhouse elements. As for Tanya, I mean her archetype isn't something I haven't seen before but a "savage" loli is...well an interesting set up. As far as I'm concerned, this show has had the best start for me so gonna see where it goes. 6/10 for me.
Don't believe the hype.
Jan 6, 2017 2:53 PM
Oct 2012
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:

Hummm, with a spirit of generosity, one can use the sequences to explain it:
Before a major attack the artillery always softens up the lines. The shows started with Empire artillery pounding the Republic before they attacked and were defeated.

Tanya was sent to help cover the Imperial withdrawal. She saw that the Republic were counterattacking and because the two guys ran off, she couldn't stop their advance. In not stopping them, the Republic were now in position to damage the Imperial army (which they did, wiping out 2 companies - as mentioned around the fire).

Based on this, Tanya knew that the Republic were going to make a major push, and this would be supported by a massive artillery barrage. All she really had to do was to guess where the attack would be (and since she knew where the artillery was and where the Republic were advancing) she was in position to accurately determine this.

I wouldn't say she knew for a fact that they would die, but she did what she thought would give her the best odds of their death. She only knew it worked because she knew that the girl would tell her if they had died.

The ironic thing about their death was that they were killed by the same artillery they chased off against, ignoring Tanya's order to help defend the Imperial troops. They created the chain of events that lead to their deaths. Tanya just positioned them there.

Haven't read the novel, this was just based on watching the episode, I think I will try the novel to see if it was covered better.
Jan 6, 2017 3:03 PM

Sep 2013
Good premiere, starting with a battle first and showing Tanya's genius and character.

Those designs get me every time, but that black uniform is sexy as fck, Hugo Boss would be proud :)

Jan 6, 2017 3:16 PM

Dec 2015
Good war/action setting mixed with magic. Better (more dark) than Shuumatsu no Izetta. Fun to see those enemy guys on their horse-like things in the air. I guess mages are the air force in this war.

I don't like that the main is that young girl with heir annoying voice. But the action is nice and sometimes her evil facial expression.

One of the higher officers has the same voice actor as Satou from Ajin ha ha. Immediately noticed that (and I usually don't recognize voices) - he has a distinctive voice acting. Like it. This could be worth watching only because of him if I start to dislike the action/plot later.
Jan 6, 2017 3:26 PM

Sep 2010
What the fuck is this? They start in the middle of the war without explaining how they get even there without context at all. Then they show us Tanya like a superhero going melee, WHAT, THE, FUCK ?

If they want to start in an action scene. Why don't they start with the first mision of tanya?

JUST WTF?

I don't understand how they are going to go on like this.
Jan 6, 2017 3:29 PM

Nov 2008
Pretty boring episode, surprised to say. So-so animation is expected from Studio Nut (lol) with them being new and all, although the art, specifically the character designs, were a delight. That aside, nothing else grabbed me. I expected a lot of crazy shit to go down, but it seems it'll happen down the road (hopefully soon!).
Jan 6, 2017 3:30 PM

Jun 2010
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:

That's a misunderstanding on your part. Her intention wasn't specifically for those two to get killed. She wanted them to be removed from her command because they proved to be incompetent and punished for their insubordination.

The ususal punishment for repeatedly going against their superiors command would be death. And she was prepared to execute them on the spot - shown by her starting to pull her saber. But because of Visha's intervention she resigned to lighten the punishment.

In this case assigning them to guarding duty at a very unsafe location (a pillar box wihtin range of enemy artillery). That they died was very likely but not guaranteed. So their death wasn't directly her fault just their bad luck.
Jan 6, 2017 3:32 PM

Dec 2010
This one has me interested, but we'll see where it goes.

Not a huge fan of the character design.
Deliveries go here pls <3
Candy Kingdom
(∩^o^)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
Jan 6, 2017 3:39 PM

Mar 2009
Aoi Yuuki + loli = BD sales.

I am disappoint. ANN reviews made it out to be full-on edge. This was only a little edgy!
Jan 6, 2017 3:53 PM

Apr 2016
Takuan_Soho said:
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:

Before a major attack the artillery always softens up the lines. The shows started with Empire artillery pounding the Republic before they attacked and were defeated.

Tanya was sent to help cover the Imperial withdrawal. She saw that the Republic were counterattacking and because the two guys ran off, she couldn't stop their advance. In not stopping them, the Republic were now in position to damage the Imperial army (which they did, wiping out 2 companies - as mentioned around the fire).

Based on this, Tanya knew that the Republic were going to make a major push, and this would be supported by a massive artillery barrage. All she really had to do was to guess where the attack would be (and since she knew where the artillery was and where the Republic were advancing) she was in position to accurately determine this.

I wouldn't say she knew for a fact that they would die, but she did what she thought would give her the best odds of their death. She only knew it worked because she knew that the girl would tell her if they had died.

The ironic thing about their death was that they were killed by the same artillery they chased off against, ignoring Tanya's order to help defend the Imperial troops. They created the chain of events that lead to their deaths. Tanya just positioned them there.

Haven't read the novel, this was just based on watching the episode, I think I will try the novel to see if it was covered better.

Rationally you don't "soften up" the rear of the enemy.

Rationally you can't know what the enemy artillery will target, if you could, you wouldn't let men at this position (and I say this from the headqurters point of view). Artillery has a relatively random efficacity and if it's efficient, you don't let your troops in a spot where you could lose 50% of them or more without the enemy taking any risk at all, that's all. That's rational. That's war.

Rationally, the best way to get rid of 2 subordinates in war times is to send them in a mission with low success probability. They were asking for it actually. At least they can cause casualties to the enemy. That's again the best rational approach.

By the way in a "not magical" world war context, the even easier way to get rid of them with 100% efficiency was to send them to court-martial and get them executed which is what the armies did after insubordination during the real first world war (as far as I know).

In the anime, Tanya says she knew they were dead because a pillbox is a good target and the enemy will shoot it (for sure). That's bullshit. If she knows, then the chif of staff knows, then they don't put troops in pillboxes.

I still think it's blatant bad writing but only a detail. Hope there won't be more later.
Ysad_ZiwezhanJan 6, 2017 4:00 PM
Jan 6, 2017 3:53 PM

Feb 2011
idk dudes as an anime only watcher i enjoyed this a lot, it was dank af
good animation and ost too
Jan 6, 2017 3:56 PM

Sep 2009
I'm extremely unimpressed by the art, animation, screenplay, and voice acting. It'd better pick up soon, or it'll be mediocre garbage forever.
*Edit: also unimpressed by the soundtrack and overall audio. Actually, there's probably no hope for this anime.
MortalMelancholyJan 6, 2017 4:00 PM
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Jan 6, 2017 4:00 PM

Sep 2010
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:
Takuan_Soho said:

Rationally you don't "soften up" the rear of the enemy.

Rationally you can't know what the enemy artillery will target, if you could, you wouldn't let men at this position (and I say this from the general staff point of view). Artillery has a relatively random efficacity and if it's efficient, you don't let your troops in a spot where you could lose 50% of them or more without the enemy taking any risk at all, that's all. That's rational. That's war.

Rationally, the best way to get rid of 2 subordinates in war times is to send them in a mission with low success probability. They were asking for it actually. At least they can cause casualties to the enemy. That's again the best rational approach.

By the way in a "not magical" world war context, the even easier way to get rid of them with 100% efficiency was to send them to court-martial and get them executed which is what the armies did after insubordination during the real first world war (as far as I know).

In the anime, Tanya says she knew they were dead because a pillbox is a good target and the enemy will shoot it (for sure). That's bullshit. If she knows, then the general staff knows, then they don't put troops in pillboxes.

I still think it's blatant bad writing but only a detail. Hope there won't be more later.

What? She doesn't want to kill those guys. She is pragmatic, she only wants them out of his unit. The character is not explained at all. She despise them but she loves logic, i don't think that she gives a damn about if they live or die.
War_lotharJan 6, 2017 4:06 PM
Jan 6, 2017 4:06 PM

Apr 2016
War_lothar said:

What? She doesn't want to kill those guys. She is pragmatic, she only wants them out of his unit. The character is not explained at all.

Did you watch the episode until the end?
Jan 6, 2017 4:08 PM
Oct 2012
oh this was great but my god that bitch is colder than subzero!
Jan 6, 2017 4:09 PM

Sep 2010
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:
War_lothar said:

What? She doesn't want to kill those guys. She is pragmatic, she only wants them out of his unit. The character is not explained at all.

Did you watch the episode until the end?

Yes. I read the novel. I know what the anime is saying, that she is a devil or something like that. I thought that they were discussing about the writing of the novel.
War_lotharJan 6, 2017 4:14 PM
Jan 6, 2017 4:09 PM
Jul 2015
For now it feels to me like some random action scenes practically unconnected put together. Let's see where this goes...

May read the source one day.
roquepoJan 6, 2017 4:13 PM

Jan 6, 2017 4:21 PM

Jul 2007
Wow, the edge was real with this one.

First of all - Holy shit is the art bad. Whoever thought that this is okay needs to burrnnnnn:

The MC and few other designs literally do not fit the rest. The screencap above? IT feels like they literally got photoshopped into a cap like those meme edits most shows get that are done for fun and you literally can see how the art clashes.
Even if we ignore how some characters literally have different art style, that still does not take away that the loli art characters have the most WRONGLY designed faces possible.

Second of all - the setting. Welp. Following Izetta's footsteps, this is totally NotGermany. Except unlike Izetta show,this one seems to have a real hard on for nazi germany for some reason.

Third of all - holy shit is the protagonist an unlikeable psycho ass. This literally feels like "what if Hitler was a loli" kind of set up and ughh. Anti-hero protagonists are okay, but making the audience despise and cringe at the protagonist is probably not the best.

Overall even though the action pieces were BEAUTIFUL, the downsides of bad art, completely awful MC and the narrative's hard-on for nazis makes this a very hard show to follow.

Let's see where the rest of episodes go.
Jan 6, 2017 4:28 PM
May 2016
The anime sure is out of my general comfort zone, but I still enjoyed it.

Only thing that irks me is the face of that girl, we all know who I know, I just can't be bothered to remember Igor's name.

As for Tanya, I find her quite interesting and her design to be nice. Those eyes of hers/his are enchanting. Her voice is also nice, I don't understand people's gripes with it.

I never read or even heard of the source material, so I came in completely fresh. (I also never really planned on watching this, but decided to give something outside my comfort zone a shot.)
Jan 6, 2017 4:47 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
I enjoyed it, but i also enjoyed the first episode of Izetta and it ended up being shit sooo ...
yeah, we'll see how it goes.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jan 6, 2017 5:05 PM

Aug 2015
Overall, a surprising episode.
I didn't expect such violence - especially when Tanya cuts the soldier's head, I was a little shocked.
Interesting idea to mix magic and weapons, to see how it will be used.

I don't like the chara design, and it disturbed me during the episode.

2.5/5
Jan 6, 2017 5:13 PM
Jan 2016
We can all agree that this is an edgy show,but to me this first episode was a very entertaining(still edgy), i enjoy a lot more a edgy anime that is action oriented (just like this one) and not one that is emotional oriented (Re Zero is the perfect example of this).
I`am looking forward for more brainless violence with the loli-nazi.
Jan 6, 2017 5:14 PM

May 2015
That was a pretty entertaining and good first episode in my opinion. Gotta get used to the character designs though. And also that ending.... Hopefully it'll be a good ride.

Jan 6, 2017 5:27 PM

Dec 2011
Chill out light novel readers, they most probably gonna go back in time in ep 2 when Tanya is still a guy and explain how she end up where she was. The reason they start this episode in the middle of war so that the action will attract the watchers to the anime. If the first episode is just some middle age salaryman talking, the viewers gonna said wow this is so boring a bad first episode and bla bla bla.
Jan 6, 2017 5:29 PM

Sep 2014
The eyes look very weird, and it isn't pleasing to look at.

Other than that it was alright. The second I saw magic in a war setting, "Hopefully this isn't another Izetta." I've actually always been interested in Large scale magic wars though, and I'm glad multiple people have magic in this anime rather than just one person.
Jan 6, 2017 5:37 PM

Oct 2012
This pretty much delivered what i expected out of it. Could have been better, sure, but the first episode was entertaining enough i guess. Its probably a good thing i'm ignorant on the source material otherwise though.
Pages (9) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Youjo Senki Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 20, 2017

218 by RGreatDanton »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Youjo Senki Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 13, 2017

313 by RGreatDanton »»
12 hours ago

Poll: » Youjo Senki Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 31, 2017

291 by Phixiately »»
Yesterday, 8:26 AM

Poll: » Youjo Senki Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2017

147 by Phixiately »»
Apr 22, 9:38 AM

Poll: » Youjo Senki Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 3, 2017

175 by Phixiately »»
Apr 17, 8:45 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.