Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 5, 2017 2:27 AM

Nov 2014
There are so many portable Nintendo (3ds, 3ds, 3ds xl, 3ds new(?)). Which one is the best to choose?
All I want to do is to try and play games like Persona Q, Bravely, Fire Emblem New, Ace Attorney.

Jan 5, 2017 2:50 AM

Mar 2015
Well, I'm not really up-to-date with this sort of information, but nevertheless, I'd recommend 3DS XL. Has a pretty long battery life (compared to the others, at least) and decent screen size.
Jan 5, 2017 2:53 AM

Feb 2015
Yeah, I've been using 3DS XL for years now, and it's great. I had a regular 3DS before that, but found it a bit too small.
Jan 5, 2017 3:42 AM

Nov 2014
@milennin
Qori said:
Well, I'm not really up-to-date with this sort of information, but nevertheless, I'd recommend 3DS XL. Has a pretty long battery life (compared to the others, at least) and decent screen size.
Qori said:
do you know anything about this New 3ds? Does it differ somehow besides design?

Jan 5, 2017 4:13 AM
Community Admin
sunny moment

May 2010
ExTemplar said:
@milennin
Qori said:
Qori said:
do you know anything about this New 3ds? Does it differ somehow besides design?
more powerful processor, some extra controls (right stick, l2 r2) and a more stable 3d system. some games like xenoblade can only be played on the new 3ds as well
Jan 5, 2017 6:34 AM

Dec 2016
For games I just use n3DS XL, but it's a bit too big to fit in my bag everytime, so in that regards the DS lite wins for me.
Also the n3DS has much more stable+better 3D than the 3DS(tested it once, so not loads of experience)
Jan 5, 2017 8:17 AM

Feb 2015
ExTemplar said:
@milennin do you know anything about this New 3ds? Does it differ somehow besides design?

I have never played on one, so I can't say anything from personal experience. The only thing I know is that it's more powerful than regular 3DS or regular 3DS XL, which means that it takes like less time to load some of the heavy games (such as SSB3DS and Pokémon Sun & Moon). It supposedly also has much better 3D effect that doesn't require you to look at it from a specific angle. I never use the 3D feature anyway, so I don't care, lol.
Jan 5, 2017 8:21 AM

Sep 2016
I recommend the 3DS XL.
~Go grind a big balloon while eating M&Ms and then you'll know~
Jan 5, 2017 8:27 AM

Feb 2015
New 3DS is the best, but also the most expensive. 2DS is the "worst", unless you don't care for the 3D effect.
Jan 5, 2017 12:34 PM

Oct 2013
I have the "New" 3DS XL, the black one. It is cool to have a bigger screen and more power to the system, but I wish I bought the the non XL for the sole fact that the color on the system started to fall out for some reason.

I would recommend to buy the New 3DS eithe XL or the normal one, both are solid choices.
Jan 5, 2017 2:32 PM

Nov 2014
@Qori; @Milennin; @Tensho; @LightNovel; @Saixiia; @JonasTheJay; @SnugglyWhuggly; @RO7
Thank you for replying, that helps.

Jan 5, 2017 3:24 PM
Feb 2016
I'd recommend getting the 3DS XL. If you don't have the money for that, then just get the regular 3DS. It has a large and great game library, not to mention that it also has the DS's library of games as well.

Jan 5, 2017 3:28 PM

May 2010
I'd recommend waiting for the NX to see how that works. Live preview on Jan 12th.
Jan 5, 2017 3:28 PM

Apr 2014
The brick DS.

You can play DS and Gameboy advanced games all on one platform.

I still use mine and it's amazing. I call it the brick DS because it's fat and huge like a brick, and no matter how many times it gets thrown around, it'll never get broken.

Although a 3DS would probably be good too because you can play DS and 3DS games (but sadly no gameboy advanced games)
Ha. Ha. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA.
I'm laughing because you got hurt.
Jan 5, 2017 4:06 PM

Sep 2016
It depends on what games you want to play. If it's only regular DS games, then a DSi is the best option. If you want to play GBA games as well, get a DS Lite. For 3DS games, a New 3DS model is the best option.

The 3DS is also compatible with regular DS games, but they look much better on a regular DS. The screen looks smaller, the resolution isn't as good, and the colours are washed out.

TobiOrNotTobi said:
The brick DS.

I still use mine and it's amazing. I call it the brick DS because it's fat and huge like a brick, and no matter how many times it gets thrown around, it'll never get broken.

Although a 3DS would probably be good too because you can play DS and 3DS games (but sadly no gameboy advanced games)

Mine broke after I threw it on the couch and the DS snapped in half. I didn't even throw it that hard either.

Jan 5, 2017 4:08 PM

Apr 2014
Apoc_Revolution said:
[i][color=#800080]
TobiOrNotTobi said:
The brick DS.

Mine broke after I threw it on the couch and the DS snapped in half. I didn't even throw it that hard either.

Are you talking about the brick DS, or the DS lite? If you're talking about the DS lite, then obviously that was going to happen. They're very fragile.
Ha. Ha. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA.
I'm laughing because you got hurt.
Jan 5, 2017 4:13 PM

Sep 2016
TobiOrNotTobi said:
Apoc_Revolution said:
[i][color=#800080]

Are you talking about the brick DS, or the DS lite? If you're talking about the DS lite, then obviously that was going to happen. They're very fragile.

It was a brick DS. ...............

Jan 5, 2017 4:23 PM

Feb 2015
TobiOrNotTobi said:

I also got one that I got back on launch day. It still works perfectly well, and being able to play GBA games on it is a huge plus.
Jan 5, 2017 5:14 PM

May 2010
My DS Lite is still in near mint condition and I used that thing a lot.

You people should not be around machines.
Jan 7, 2017 1:14 PM

Mar 2014
As far as I know New 3DS XL can play every DS and 3DS game. However I'd say just get a normal 3ds by looking at the list of games you are planing to play since fire emblem fates (if you meant this fire emblem) can only played on 3DS or higher.
Jan 7, 2017 2:42 PM

Oct 2013
NEW 3DS XL with the two analogue sticks coz newer games won't work on older 3DS versions so yh, bigger screen, 2 analogue sticks, plays all 3ds and nds games. SORTED!
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now
Jan 7, 2017 3:33 PM

Jul 2013
ExTemplar said:
There are so many portable Nintendo (3ds, 3ds, 3ds xl, 3ds new(?)). Which one is the best to choose?
All I want to do is to try and play games like Persona Q, Bravely, Fire Emblem New, Ace Attorney.

The one where it says Nintendo 3ds
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 8, 2017 2:29 PM

Oct 2016
If you're not willing to pay so much, get the 2DS.

Otherwise, get the N3DS xl.

The Meme Alchemist
I hate being a scrub.

"They give no quarter, they ask no quarter."
Jan 10, 2017 4:48 AM

Dec 2013
Buy a 2ds, buy 32 gb sd card, get custom firmware and buy a ds flashcard.
Jan 10, 2017 10:33 AM

Nov 2011
a used/old new 3ds that is "like new" if you want to save money
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Jan 10, 2017 10:39 AM
Jul 2015
If you want to play Xenoblade -> New 3DS XL
If not -> 2DS, anyway you won't use the 3D

Jan 10, 2017 11:16 AM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
Whatever I can crack my Pokemon games to play on is fine.

Jan 11, 2017 2:12 AM

Apr 2012
The No3ds.

Just wait for CITRA to get even better.

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Jan 15, 2017 2:19 PM
Chu2byo

Apr 2013
3DS is pretty shit tbh from the limited time I played on my friends all that happened was I got headache after 45 minutes, DSi is pointless as it's only gimmick is a camera, regular DS for me since it had a GBA port.
Jan 17, 2017 12:37 AM

Jul 2014
3DS XL. That's the one I'm using at least and I've got no problems at all with it.

My younger brother has the regular 3DS and I don't like it... the screen is too small IMO. But if I didn't have a DS at all yet, I'd probably just buy the latest version out there (New 3DS XL) since that's the kinda person I am. lol
. . . . . . . . . .
DO NOT touch my rice. . . . . .
I'm Asian. . . . . .
Jan 17, 2017 7:45 AM

May 2016
Ivy said:
3DS XL. That's the one I'm using at least and I've got no problems at all with it.

My younger brother has the regular 3DS and I don't like it... the screen is too small IMO. But if I didn't have a DS at all yet, I'd probably just buy the latest version out there (New 3DS XL) since that's the kinda person I am. lol

I mean to go along with that, the 3DS can play DS games from other generations if you're into that, so I'd say 3DS XL is the best to go. 3DS regular is a bit too small for me. Especially if you want to play Ace Attorney, you can play the older versions from DS.
Jan 28, 2017 1:33 PM
Jul 2018
For original DS, get DS lite. DSI is awful and you won't be able to play GBA games. While this doesn't sound much of a com, you won't be able to access specific easter eggs. Two of which come to mind are Spider-Man 2/Ultimate Spider-Man on DS and Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow. You won't be able to get all the moves in Spider-Man 2 without Mysterio's Menace and you won't get a Mina Doll in Dawn of Sorrow without Aria of Sorrow. I don't know if the double pack with Harmony of Dissonance counts, though.
Feb 4, 2017 5:47 AM

Dec 2016
As someone who only got a New 3DS XL just recently, that's the only model of it I can recommend as I have no experience with any of the previous models.
I'm very satisfied with the system, and from what I've read and heard about it, it seems to be the best one out there.
I would personally recommend it.
Feb 4, 2017 7:55 AM

Aug 2008
DSi + DSTWO flash cart is the god tier combo because of tactile buttons. the DSTWO supports GBA among other things on its onboard processor.

n3DSXL is the best of the 3DS line, again because of tactile buttons.

A softmodded PSPgo is still the best handheld console to date, and by far the best investment.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.
Feb 4, 2017 5:24 PM
Jul 2018
The New 3DS XL is what I recommend as it has the following...

- Face-tracking 3D
- New controls (such as the C-stick and ZL/ZR buttons)
- Built-in amiibo support
- More power (improved CPU performance = faster loading times, etcetera)
- Play even more games (all the 3DS games as well as nearly all the games from previous systems such as the DS and DSi)
- Easy data-sharing
- Better browsing
- Improved camera
Feb 11, 2017 3:53 AM

Jun 2016
I would recommend 3DS XL, it's one of my favorites.
Help the industry and buy Blu-rays and DVD's.
Noragami is the best anime ever.
May 5, 2017 9:49 AM

Nov 2014
Looks like it is a good thing that I waited for some more time, because 2DS XL seems like a thing to go with.

May 5, 2017 10:33 AM
Chu2byo

Apr 2013
DS Lite or 2Ds.

30characterlimit
May 5, 2017 10:40 AM

Mar 2017
ExTemplar said:
Looks like it is a good thing that I waited for some more time, because 2DS XL seems like a thing to go with.
Unless you are someone who doesn't like to hack his/her handhelds to their convenience, then go for 2DS XL. 99.9% chances are that you can't install arm9loader if it's on the latest firmware.

Why hack your 3DS? You can literally play ALL, and I mean ALL, the games from previous handheld generations on the 3DS XL. You just need to unlock VC and have the ROMs in your SD card and bam! Even DS games can be played however you need a flashcart.

Customizing your layout, etc also becomes very easy. You can also patch your games with various hacks (such as Pokemon hacks) or translation patch like for The Great Ace Attorney if you plan to play that franchise.

Overall, the support is also great in the community for the 3DS family. It might take a month or two for setting up a proper troubleshooter for the new 2DS XL.

If you are patient enough then yes, in a year or so we may successfully hack this new handheld. But until then, not really worth it.
John_2001May 5, 2017 10:55 AM
May 5, 2017 11:31 AM

Nov 2014
John_2001 said:
ExTemplar said:
Unless you are someone who doesn't like to hack his/her handhelds to their convenience, then go for 2DS XL. 99.9% chances are that you can't install arm9loader if it's on the latest firmware.

Why hack your 3DS? You can literally play ALL, and I mean ALL, the games from previous handheld generations on the 3DS XL. You just need to unlock VC and have the ROMs in your SD card and bam! Even DS games can be played however you need a flashcart.

Customizing your layout, etc also becomes very easy. You can also patch your games with various hacks (such as Pokemon hacks) or translation patch like for The Great Ace Attorney if you plan to play that franchise.

Overall, the support is also great in the community for the 3DS family. It might take a month or two for setting up a proper troubleshooter for the new 2DS XL.

If you are patient enough then yes, in a year or so we may successfully hack this new handheld. But until then, not really worth it.
You have a good point regarding 3DS which I didnt know about. But I have absolutely no clue on how to hack it and where to get games/translations for free though.

Also, isn't there is a possibility of bricking a console? Paying $150+ and then having a console banned would be pretty sad.
ExTemplarMay 5, 2017 11:41 AM

May 5, 2017 11:45 AM

Mar 2017
https://3ds.guide/
The simplest guide out there. If you want more detailed explanations and help, you can always visit /r/3dshacks or this sub-forum of GBATemp. Take your time and get the gist of everything. It's worth it, trust me.

As for the ROMs, Google is your friend. Translations are found in this sub-forum of GBATemp; specifically for DGS and AAI2.
May 5, 2017 12:38 PM

Nov 2014
John_2001 said:
https://3ds.guide/
The simplest guide out there. If you want more detailed explanations and help, you can always visit /r/3dshacks or this sub-forum of GBATemp. Take your time and get the gist of everything. It's worth it, trust me.

As for the ROMs, Google is your friend. Translations are found in this sub-forum of GBATemp; specifically for DGS and AAI2.
Thank you sharing this information with me. I gues 3ds xl is a way to go than.

May 5, 2017 1:31 PM

Jun 2010
the last 3DS ofc...
May 5, 2017 2:14 PM

Feb 2015
The very first one, to be honest.
May 5, 2017 5:53 PM

May 2012
New 3DS objectively, it's got various improvements over the 3DS plus it plays games the old 3DS cannot plus you can get them in a customize-able version and that gives them a little more flare than the others that you're just picking between colors of plastic. If you go back though since the title says which DS is the best not which 3DS is best I'd go with the DS > 3DS due to better games though at the same time I suppose that's irrelevant with backwards compatibility.
Jun 3, 2019 5:42 AM
Jun 2019
It depends on your expectations. After reading this article https://dmarket.com/blog/top-5-handheld-consoles-2018/, I started to prefer Nintendo 3DS XL. Here are the pros of using this system:
Pros of using Nintendo 3DS XL
A step up compared to its predecessors due to improved CPU performance, a brighter screen, enhanced controls, and better camera.
A vast library of games from notable developers. The console is still supported by Nintendo, and thus new titles are to come.
A face-tracking 3D screen.
Built-in amiibo compatibility, allowing you to port characters from the Wii U handheld game console.
A motion detector for interactive play.
Feb 10, 2021 12:50 PM
Dec 2017
The 3ds xl is my personal favorite version i hate the censorship issues and lack of region free but still a really good console.

Feb 10, 2021 1:19 PM

Aug 2009
The 2DS XL was perfectly capable of playing Pokemon Ultra Sun, so I'll go with that. But the DS Lite is a very close second for GBA compatibility.

More topics from this board

» Gacha Survey

Shizuna - Apr 11

36 by Shizuna »»
2 hours ago

» What's a hated game that you actually enjoyed?

SnipeStrike - Apr 13

26 by Theo1899 »»
5 hours ago

» What are you playing right now? (v2) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 4, 2020

3502 by Lost_Viking »»
11 hours ago

» Sega's Golden Axe video games series gets a cartoon adaptation

tchitchouan - Apr 17

2 by DesuMaiden »»
Yesterday, 3:27 PM

» Out of all the Mario games which did you play the most recently

KiraraFan - Apr 9

25 by SnipeStrike »»
Yesterday, 2:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.