Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 5, 2017 1:51 AM

Oct 2012
It's interesting how Seiren and Amagami are in the same universe and even share characters. I wanted to know how far apart they were in terms of time.

First, we have to figure out when Amagami takes place. It's never explicitly stated in the show(s), and I haven't played the game (if the time is stated in the game, please tell me), but we can pinpoint a specific timeframe based on the technologies shown.

Amagami's Timeframe

-----------------------------------

So now that we know when Amagami takes place, let's connect it to Seiren with the information that we currently know.

We know that Shouichi's friend Ikuo is Ai Nanasaki's younger brother.

But how much older is Ai than Ikuo?

Well...

Ai wanted to give Ikuo an Inago Mask belt as a present in Amagami. This means that at that time, Ikuo must have been young enough to want something like that, as well as arrogant enough to decline it because it was an outdated model. His profile says that he was quite a prankster back then, so it makes sense.

Ikuo is a second year in Seiren. Assuming that he was maybe 5-7 in Amagami, it's safe to assume that Seiren takes place 10-12 years after Amagami, meaning around 2008-2014.
*gasp* Perhaps we will see cell phones this time?!

Some more "evidence":

This does make me wonder that if Junichi were to return in Seiren as a minor character, who would he be with? It'd be cool to see Amagami characters as adults too.

As of now, I've yet to find evidence concerning Makoto and Risa's connection as sisters...

--------------------

I spent way too long on something this mundane...

Here, I'll be updating this post with important information uncovered as the episodes go on, from me as well as other people. This includes other evidence and insight.

Posts 5, 10, 11, and 12

Posts 24, and 31

Post 32
EpicCh33seJan 30, 2017 5:32 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 5, 2017 2:35 AM

Mar 2016
You really like Amagami.

Those are very interesting results though.
Jan 5, 2017 4:56 AM

Jul 2015
Wow, you clearly did a lot of fricking research, this is Hyouka-level detective work... Good job :D
Signature removed for being too dank. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines
Jan 5, 2017 6:50 AM

Apr 2016
Good job!
EpicCh33se said:
This does make me wonder that if Junichi were to return in Seiren as a minor character, who would he be with? It'd be cool to see Amagami characters as adults too.
I actually thought about this and hoped that, depending on Seiren's arc, Junichi will be with one who's compatible to the current girl's arc. (Not necessarily in every one of them, but as background characters, like, you see them choosing stuff from a store or going out from a hospital for pregnancy matters, random stuff like that)
Jan 5, 2017 1:11 PM

Jan 2012
The in-game calendar of Amagami matches the year 1994. Takayama said the anime will be taking 9 years after the game, so the anime will be taking place in 2003.
Jan 5, 2017 1:29 PM

Apr 2016
This has nothing to do with Seiren but...

I've been browsing some Amagami spoilers...

Jan 5, 2017 1:35 PM

Apr 2016
Swagernator said:

Read the 1st paragraph: http://aminoapps.com/page/anime/8924626-omnibus-format
Jan 5, 2017 1:39 PM

Apr 2016
Raccoon_Citizen said:
Swagernator said:

lol never heard about "Omnibus Format" before. Thanks btw.
Jan 5, 2017 1:42 PM

Apr 2016
Swagernator said:
Raccoon_Citizen said:

lol never heard about "Omnibus Format" before. Thanks btw.
Well, Seiren follows the same format. Go and watch Amagami SS if you didn't start this yet.
Jan 5, 2017 4:57 PM

Oct 2012
Soth said:
The in-game calendar of Amagami matches the year 1994. Takayama said the anime will be taking 9 years after the game, so the anime will be taking place in 2003.

That would match the rotary phone bit better.
But Junichi's camcorder stands as somewhat of a stark contrast to 1994/5, especially with how it went from 4:3 to 16:9. It might have just been a weird shift in artistic design, but still.

Also, the Kamita household has a flat screen.
Seiren Episode 1:

I highly doubt a flat screen of that caliber would be in the average home in 2003.

In fact, Shouichi has one in his room too.

Which means that this has to be a time in which flat screens are affordable.

There also appears to be a mounted screen in the classroom.
EpicCh33seJan 5, 2017 5:27 PM
Jan 5, 2017 5:26 PM

Oct 2010
"it kind of restricts it to being after 2004, realistically."

I just wanted to throw in here, I was "surfing the net" as a hobby since like 1997. Not sure how old you are, but the internet was very usable back then lol.

As for the flat screen, every few houses would have a family that spent a good grand or two on a plasma that would look like that - similar to people that bought 4k TVs 2-3 years ago.
Jan 5, 2017 5:28 PM

Oct 2012
Kougeru said:
"it kind of restricts it to being after 2004, realistically."

I just wanted to throw in here, I was "surfing the net" as a hobby since like 1997. Not sure how old you are, but the internet was very usable back then lol.

As for the flat screen, every few houses would have a family that spent a good grand or two on a plasma that would look like that - similar to people that bought 4k TVs 2-3 years ago.

Touche on the internet point there. As for the TV, I don't think they'd spend another grand on a screen for their son's room.

Not entirely sure what those machines in the back are... Could they be ATMs? There doesn't seem to be a keypad or any buttons. Could it be touchscreen?

I think instead of 2008-2014, I'll change that to 2006-2010.
EpicCh33seJan 5, 2017 5:43 PM
Jan 5, 2017 5:34 PM

Oct 2010
You're probably right, I was just saying it's very possible still. Either way, great job getting a decent time frame. I had no idea they were actually connected - only that it was from the same people. Very interesting stuff. Hopefully some info in Seiren will make it even easier to figure out more solidly.
Jan 5, 2017 5:46 PM
Feb 2016
I really didn't expect those animes to be connected in any way other than a subtle easter egg here or there, great work. I ask myself if they will give hints about what was the true ending of Amagami then.
Jan 5, 2017 5:53 PM

Oct 2012
Kougeru said:
I had no idea they were actually connected - only that it was from the same people.

MJunior said:
I really didn't expect those animes to be connected in any way other than a subtle easter egg here or there

Yeah. I'm sure it's a bit more obvious now, but the schools are the same. Uniforms hadn't changed, and even the Miss Santa Contest is still kicking it.
Jan 5, 2017 7:11 PM

Jul 2015
Respect... You Like very much Amagami... Great, me too.

Jan 5, 2017 7:13 PM

Feb 2015
I first want to know if the spoiler tag there is about the VN of Amagami or the anime?
Jan 5, 2017 7:29 PM

Oct 2012
_Ako_ said:
I first want to know if the spoiler tag there is about the VN of Amagami or the anime?

Anime. I haven't played the game as the translation isn't complete yet.
The only real spoiler here is for Haruka's arc and somewhat Sae's arc.
Mostly, the spoiler tags are used because there's a lot of pictures.
Jan 6, 2017 6:15 AM

Jun 2008
Raccoon_Citizen said:
Swagernator said:

Lol, read that and it completely ignores Yosuga no Sora.

BTW, nice thread, confirmed that Ikuo is Ai's little brother.

Visit this blog That I'm working with my friend
http://randomnessthing.com/
Jan 12, 2017 1:06 AM
Jul 2011
I Do Not Think This is A Spoiler But Is a Evidence!
Jan 12, 2017 1:13 AM
Jul 2011
Raccoon_Citizen said:
Swagernator said:

If Junichi Really End Up With Every Girls, Amagami SS Definitely Will Not Be A Omnibus Format Love Story Anime But Harem Instead.
If Junichii Definitely End Up With Ai only, I think that Ikuo will call him Brother In Law After He appears in Seiren. XD
Jan 12, 2017 5:39 AM

Dec 2014
Love this!

I was kinda bugged by the timeline too since it does seem we're almost in present day compared to 9 years after Amagami SS.
Jan 13, 2017 9:35 PM

Dec 2014
I love how you did all that research... salute man .... respect.... thanks for the info
Jan 14, 2017 1:35 PM

Oct 2012
Seiren Episode 2:

Aha! Phones! We just need to know what kind it is now...
Jan 15, 2017 8:00 AM
Jul 2010
EpicCh33se said:
Seiren Episode 2:

Aha! Phones! We just need to know what kind it is now...

Man... I usually do not post anything here but just for you and your hard work, I'm posting this for congratulating you. You are really awesome! Continue the good work, hoping to have a precise year =D.
Jan 15, 2017 11:20 AM

Jun 2008
SeerHu said:
Raccoon_Citizen said:

If Junichi Really End Up With Every Girls, Amagami SS Definitely Will Not Be A Omnibus Format Love Story Anime But Harem Instead.
If Junichii Definitely End Up With Ai only, I think that Ikuo will call him Brother In Law After He appears in Seiren. XD

You're ignoring the probability of Juniichi never "recovered" from his "trauma" of confessing to girls.

Visit this blog That I'm working with my friend
http://randomnessthing.com/
Jan 17, 2017 10:58 AM

Mar 2013
Raccoon_Citizen said:
Good job!
EpicCh33se said:
I actually thought about this and hoped that, depending on Seiren's arc, Junichi will be with one who's compatible to the current girl's arc. (Not necessarily in every one of them, but as background characters, like, you see them choosing stuff from a store or going out from a hospital for pregnancy matters, random stuff like that)

I agree with this concept as well. Isn't Seiren going to be a three (3) arc omnibus? Also we know for sure Junichi marries Haruka, Sae, & Tsukasa. So it wouldn't be a reach for each of Shoichi's arc to have a matching Junichi arc wife.

Please just don't have Junichi show up with Sakurai R
Jan 17, 2017 3:13 PM

Oct 2012
broodo said:

Fight me right now irl bro
Jan 20, 2017 6:20 AM
Jul 2011
She Looks Like Haruka Morishima, Her Mother Definitely Is Not Sae, Ai, Kaoru Or Tsukasa and has Quarter British Bloodline Or Not so I am wondering What If Her Mother Really Is Haruka.
Jan 22, 2017 4:11 PM

Apr 2015
Having rewatched Amagami SS a few times it always did occur to me that it seemed set in the past. Thanks for putting all this research into it, being a massive fan of the show I really appreciate it.

Jan 22, 2017 4:14 PM

Oct 2012
Seiren Episode 3:

Here, we see Tsuneki and her friend communicating via flip phones. Considering that both of them are using flip phones, it seems as if smartphones weren't in the norm yet.

I know circular directional pads were kind of common, but Tsuneki's phone (the pink one) really does remind me of this one Motorola phone I had...

Motorola seems like an unlikely brand though. There seems to be a word underneath the hinge, and some part of me wants to believe that it's the Japanese phone company: DoCoMo.
I'm not entirely sure about the history of DoCoMo phones, more specifically, models and their years (I'm having a bit of a hard time trying to look it up), but I'd say that it's more likely than other brands for now.

For the year, I'd say this would definitely be before 2010, maybe even before 2007.

Notice: I've started updating the OP post with a list of posts that are relevant.
EpicCh33seJan 22, 2017 4:24 PM
Jan 30, 2017 5:31 PM

Oct 2012
MalacostracaFlame from Reddit and fillerdude from TvTropes pointed out that Sae may be the reason why Ikuo (and in turn, Shouichi) likes Panda Cocoa.

Amagami SS+ Episode 7:

Sae, Ai, and Ikuo are seen here during an Inago Mask showing. I'd say that it's likely.
The age for Ikuo seems to be about right for this time period as well.
Jan 31, 2017 7:43 PM
Jan 2017
white Toyota yaris in amagami ss plus Tsukasa arc
Japanese on-sale date of January 1999 https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Vitz#XP10
and never see mobile phone
Junichi and Umehara play PS1 and never see other play PS2 (i think before 2000)
i think year of amagami ss is 24 dec 1998 and tsukasa arc in amagami ss plus is march 1999
and seiren is august 2007 (after amagami 9 year)
Feb 3, 2017 5:34 PM

Oct 2012
Seiren Episode 5:

In this episode, we see the group of friends playing with handheld gaming systems that remind me a bit of the PSP. Thought button laying is kind of different...

From this, we can also see that the screens are touchscreen.

As you can see here, the game boxes say "GeekGear," which sounds an awful like the Sega Game Gear. I guess the button layout looks like it too. Though, the Game Gear came out in 1990 in Japan and obviously didn't have wireless connection or touchscreen capability...
Feb 3, 2017 7:40 PM

Oct 2012

Though that system was only released in South Korea, apparently. The group of friends in Seiren go to a local video game store and purchase a game for the console.

I guess the design is just based on something like the GP2X and it's not really a real game console.
Feb 9, 2017 4:04 PM
Jan 2016
I can not contribute on the timeframe of this 2 series as i havent seen Amagami yet, but can someone explain me something?
Does the events of Seiren happen linearly, or they happen at different times?

I mean does Arc 1 (Hikari Tsuneki) happens before 2 arc (Kyōko Tōno)?

Or they are not linear?
Feb 9, 2017 10:34 PM
Feb 2016
EpicCh33se said:
broodo said:

Fight me right now irl bro

omg I hate to also be a jerk but I agree
also honestly great work man I love Amagami SS its one of my favorite romance anime's (except for the trigger ending) and I love what you are doing here never would have figured out this stuff without you going all out on this seriously man good job
Feb 11, 2017 3:58 AM
Feb 2017
Fer220497 said:

Or they are not linear?

My theory, seiren wont be omnibus, but dualbus instead, with two MC, kamita and ikuo. And the second arc of miyamae is actually filling the time skip for hikari arc. So there still a chance this is going to be linear (for kamita).

There are some hints like the current opening only highlighting 3 girls, and kamita never had a dialogue with other 3 girls. On other hand, ikuo seems to be frequenly encountering with the other 3 girls (red hair girl, dead eye girl, and milk photo girl). At first, seeing amagami, seiren seems similarly omnibus, but after knowing the red haired girl is actually ikuo's childhood friends, i think it is possible to have MC swap in the next cour.
einzhartFeb 11, 2017 4:04 AM
Feb 11, 2017 4:30 AM
May 2015
einzhart said:
Fer220497 said:

Or they are not linear?

My theory, seiren wont be omnibus, but dualbus instead, with two MC, kamita and ikuo. And the second arc of miyamae is actually filling the time skip for hikari arc. So there still a chance this is going to be linear (for kamita).

There are some hints like the current opening only highlighting 3 girls, and kamita never had a dialogue with other 3 girls. On other hand, ikuo seems to be frequenly encountering with the other 3 girls (red hair girl, dead eye girl, and milk photo girl). At first, seeing amagami, seiren seems similarly omnibus, but after knowing the red haired girl is actually ikuo's childhood friends, i think it is possible to have MC swap in the next cour.

Nope, your theory is totally wrong, this is still omnibus, and miyamae`s arc is not a filling to the time skip, just look at the first episode of miyamae`s arc, Hikari is still working on that cafe in disguise which means her secret is still not out, and probably her friend did not betrayed her in this route.
Feb 11, 2017 4:44 AM

Dec 2015
They mentioned about 10 years time gap to Amagami. And that a couple did weird things in the pump shed. This gives us a hint at which girl the MC from Amagami choose in the past of the time line Seiren is using.
Feb 11, 2017 2:15 PM
Jan 2016
IRIS-T said:
einzhart said:

Nope, your theory is totally wrong, this is still omnibus, and miyamae`s arc is not a filling to the time skip, just look at the first episode of miyamae`s arc, Hikari is still working on that cafe in disguise which means her secret is still not out, and probably her friend did not betrayed her in this route.

So there is no direct connection between the 3 arcs?
Miyamae's arc is a completely differemt story to Tsuneki's one?
Feb 11, 2017 3:27 PM

Jan 2014
I had my doubts about the omnibus format, never having heard of it before, and intended to drop this show after the first arc. I ended up giving the second arc a shot.

The concept itself does not seem to bother me all that much. The second arc is very different in tone from the first one. In fact I found the first episode to be quite hilarious: the deer game, Araraki furry fetish returning after only being hinted at in the first arc, and the naked bear character. It's almost like they're trolling. However, the MC's emotional development being reset, weirds me out, mostly because he is still clearly identifiable as the same person. I can't help but feel this'd been ten times better if they just followed one of the other guys instead, and gone with that.

I did realise what in this show appealed to me so much in the first place though. The animation might not be stellar, but the colour tones are. There's lot's of greys and darker tones, and generally not much colour at all on everyday objects and to clothing, while things that do have colour, like the gaming screens, stand out much more. This makes it look very nineties-modern, but also very fitting of urban Japan.

IRIS-T said:
einzhart said:

It wouldn't make sense either for Miyamae's arc to fill the time skip, as Kamita's attitude towards Hikari was pretty conclusive, and it doesn't work with his 'emotional reset' eiter.
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
Feb 11, 2017 4:22 PM

Mar 2014
Luthandorius said:
They mentioned about 10 years time gap to Amagami. And that a couple did weird things in the pump shed. This gives us a hint at which girl the MC from Amagami choose in the past of the time line Seiren is using.

It's releaved with that comment. Time of Seiren is 10 years later of Amagami SS.
But then, only in this Arc it's stated the date and what girl the MC of Amagami SS took. ;)
Feb 15, 2017 11:48 PM
Jul 2011
broodo said:
Raccoon_Citizen said:
Good job!

I agree with this concept as well. Isn't Seiren going to be a three (3) arc omnibus? Also we know for sure Junichi marries Haruka, Sae, & Tsukasa. So it wouldn't be a reach for each of Shoichi's arc to have a matching Junichi arc wife.

I don't think Junichi marries Haruka, Sae and Tsukasa But married Haruka in the End of Second Season of Amagami SS.
IRIS-T said:
einzhart said:

Guessing How Studio Gokumi planning it does not change any thing.

Mod Edit: Merged consecutive posts; please use the edit button.
TenshoFeb 18, 2017 6:26 AM
Feb 16, 2017 2:16 AM
Jan 2017
please read this blog
https://bananashiki.wordpress.com/2017/02/15/seiren-timeline-updated-20170215/

this info from officials
http://www.tbs.co.jp/anime/seiren/timetable/
Silversage_WisetFeb 16, 2017 5:16 AM
Feb 18, 2017 5:13 AM
Jul 2011
There Are Some Minor Evidences of Characters in Seiren Resembles Characters in Amagami SS:
Ikuo - Best Friend of Kamita And Younger Brother Of Ai
Tsuneki Communicating with her friend Yukie via Flip Phone in episode 3 resembles Haruka communicating with Tsukahara via telephone
Red Hair Miu Hiyama of Swimming Club from the Girl's School resembles Tsukahara Hibiki
Tsuneki Probably Has Quarter Caucasian Bloodline.
Tsuneki's Hidden Unkown Parents maybe is Junichi and Haruka.
Kyouko Tono Rsembling Ayatsuji Tsukasa

PPPS: Besides, I think that there are some character maybe resmbling Nakata Sae.
Feb 25, 2017 10:58 PM

Jan 2011
SeerHu said:

Why do you think so? No hints were.
Only one hafu in this show - is Louise

SeerHu said:

Of course she changed her surname from Tachibana on Tsuneki, yeaaaah, riiight... *sarcasm*
You need more research.
lesikFeb 26, 2017 3:05 AM
Mar 4, 2017 4:29 AM
Jul 2011
lesik said:
SeerHu said:

Why do you think so? No hints were.
Only one hafu in this show - is Louise

SeerHu said:

Of course she changed her surname from Tachibana on Tsuneki, yeaaaah, riiight... *sarcasm*
You need more research.

You think I am wrong but I think that I am Right Because Tsuneki might be micro mixed or 1/5 mixed And Other Minor Evidences.
Mar 4, 2017 10:47 PM

Nov 2009
All character reference from the past series so far...
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Seiren Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 16, 2017

54 by WolfWood37 »»
Dec 14, 2023 9:12 AM

Poll: » Seiren Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 9, 2017

62 by WolfWood37 »»
Nov 25, 2023 11:02 PM

Poll: » Seiren Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 2, 2017

97 by WolfWood37 »»
Nov 20, 2023 9:28 PM

Poll: » Seiren Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 23, 2017

129 by WolfWood37 »»
Nov 13, 2023 9:21 PM

Poll: » Seiren Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 16, 2017

83 by WolfWood37 »»
Nov 12, 2023 11:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.