Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 10, 2010 12:07 PM

Mar 2008
I can't believe they just totally ripped out the 3 laws without giving any proper credit to Asimov. I look through a lot of sites (including the official site which has an English version) and blogs and found out there was no reference or mention of the 3 Laws. And yet the characters in the show nearly re-stated the 3 laws word for word. Re-phrasing does not mean you are not plagirising!

Don't get me wrong. I totally enjoyed the series. But every time they mention the 3 Laws of Robotics (which any Sci-Fic fan should know) something just doesn't feel right. It feels to me that they are plagirising a well known work without being caught and worst of all, MOST PEOPLE BELIEVED THE LAWS ARE ORIGINAL BY THE CREATOR.

For those who don't know what I am talking about, Issac Asimov (died close to 20 years ago) first wrote about the 3 Laws of Robotics in his science fiction novels back in the 1950s (one more law was introduced later on, known as the zeroth law). You can read up on the novels by finding Asimov's Robot series, Empire series, or Foundation series.

If someone can find some sort of official credit given to Asimov, please post it here. It will make the show that much better in my mind. As things stand right now, I give it (9-2)/10 ... ie. 7/10 for taking others work without proper mention.

*edit*
Please don't start flaming this topic. If there is proper credit given to Asimov, post a link or some source and I will gladly delete this topic.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 10, 2010 12:25 PM

Apr 2009
Who gives a shit? The three laws have been osmosed into popular culture. You don't hear anybody complaining when somebody says "big brother is watching you." The only people who don't know the source are functionally illiterate.
This is a serious post. You're not allowed to delete it.
Feb 10, 2010 1:35 PM

Mar 2008
CDRW said:
Who gives a shit? The three laws have been osmosed into popular culture. You don't hear anybody complaining when somebody says "big brother is watching you." The only people who don't know the source are functionally illiterate.

And this is coming from someone who have not even seen the series.

As stated up top, I don't want to turn this into a flaming topic. I don't think the 3 laws have "osmosed" into popular culture quite just yet. Even if the large majority does know about it, it still does not justify their usage of the laws as their own product.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 10, 2010 1:53 PM

Apr 2009
If you don't want to have a topic turn to flaming then don't make a flamebait post. I don't need to see the series to know that the three laws are not an Asimov specific idea anymore. They are an integral part of the sci-fi landscape almost as ubiquitous as the robot itself. Finding ways to mess around with the three laws is as much of a cliche now as were the killer robots that Asimov was trying to circumvent. You might as well bitch about Asimov not sourcing Karel Čapek while you're at it. The three laws were introduced in 1942, 22 years after the robot was "invented", and you're complaining about someone ripping Asimov off 68 years after the fact.
CDRWFeb 10, 2010 2:02 PM
This is a serious post. You're not allowed to delete it.
Feb 10, 2010 2:19 PM
Mar 2009
I just finished the series and I must say I was also annoyed by the fact Asimov's three laws were re-worded. They might as well just use the laws word for word.
Feb 12, 2010 5:42 AM

Mar 2009
SRWfan said:
I just finished the series and I must say I was also annoyed by the fact Asimov's three laws were re-worded. They might as well just use the laws word for word.

I assume you were reading the translation of a translation. At best you were reading the japanese translation of the original words. You can't expect a word for word translation in such a case. I wouldn't count that as a fault to the anime. At best you can blame the sub team for translating the japanese text instead of using Asimov's text.

As for the lack of credits given to Asimov: if every pop culture reference in a tv show/movie/anime has to be credited, they will loose it's value to the viewers that catch them. I wouldn't label this as plagirism. And nowhere during the anime I got the feeling they used it as 'their own product'. Besides if you googled 'three laws of robotics' all the top hits refer to Asimov, so anyone that gets interested in them will know soon enough if they didn't know already.
Apr 6, 2010 3:33 PM

Apr 2009
plus, I would think that since the rules have been around for so long, you can use the defense of Asimov being common knowledge.
Sep 21, 2010 7:59 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
I think it became more like a philosophy so it's quite self-implied that they came from Asimov....
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jan 23, 2011 2:05 AM

Aug 2010
They probably dont even know who Asimov is anyways. And its not like eve no jikan blew up.
Apr 30, 2011 9:12 PM

Oct 2009
Huh... We all know it was a reference to those three laws, you don't need to give credit...

The three laws of robotics have been used oh so many times in literature before; even in the movie iRobot.

There's no reason to give credit for the laws.
Aug 18, 2011 10:09 AM

Feb 2011
Isnt the sub team at fault, things dont translate exactly and are polished t make sense in English. They used that wording perhaps the original piece did not

Ive seen similar rules in movies as well and cant remember it being credited

More topics from this board

Poll: » Eve no Jikan Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Sep 19, 2009

203 by Randomega »»
Dec 15, 2023 9:08 AM

Poll: » Eve no Jikan Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Canopus - Dec 2, 2008

77 by Randomega »»
Dec 15, 2023 6:52 AM

Poll: » Eve no Jikan Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

nx6 - Oct 2, 2008

84 by FanthyLord »»
Jul 2, 2023 7:47 PM

Poll: » Eve no Jikan Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

removed-user - Aug 3, 2008

119 by FanthyLord »»
Jul 2, 2023 7:23 PM

Poll: » Eve no Jikan Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Canopus - Jul 2, 2009

67 by removed-user »»
Feb 17, 2023 9:37 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.