Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 4, 2017 3:31 AM

Jun 2015
So we have these threads talking about popular and or main stream anime VS underground anime etc...

but which are these anime?

I just watch whats on tv, animax to be precise, so I guess everything I watch is popular or mainstream....

but im sure there are a lot of shows the rest of you would consider mainstream or popular....

and which are the big 4? or is it big 3? or 5?
Jan 4, 2017 5:04 AM

Feb 2013
high popularity rank on MAL is a good indicator

also stuff that's on tv yeah
mind listing the shows you watch on animax? or link their tv schedule
Jan 4, 2017 5:06 AM

Aug 2015
It seems like "mainstream" is anything that it's likely that a non-anime fan has probably heard of (Think Naruto, Pokemon, Attack on Titan, Death Note etc.), whereas underground is just the more niche anime that people outside of Japan usually never hear about.

There was originally the shounen big 3 which were Naruto, Bleach and One Piece, but that's more of a western thing because One Piece was way more popular than the other 2 in japan.

Some of the other big shows can be found on the popular tab on MAL, which includes Death Note, Attack on Titan, Sword Art Online and more.

It's all subjective, though and being popular =/= bad, nor does underground == good.
Jan 4, 2017 5:06 AM

Jun 2011
Top 500 most popular are usually considered mainstream by people though not always. Some anime just have a rabid not mainstream audience.

The most mainstream not mainstream show is Neon Genesis Evangelion. It is a show for Otaku... It is mainstream... but not for a mainstream audience. Hard to explain that one... like... if you love anime, you should watch it 100% if you are not... stick to Dragon Ball.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Jan 4, 2017 5:10 AM

Jun 2011
Cross said:
It seems like "mainstream" is anything that it's likely that a non-anime fan has probably heard of (Think Naruto, Pokemon, Attack on Titan, Death Note etc.), whereas underground is just the more niche anime that people outside of Japan usually never hear about.

There was originally the shounen big 3 which were Naruto, Bleach and One Piece, but that's more of a western thing because One Piece was way more popular than the other 2 in japan.

Some of the other big shows can be found on the popular tab on MAL, which includes Death Note, Attack on Titan, Sword Art Online and more.

It's all subjective, though and being popular =/= bad, nor does underground == good.

This is generally how I thought of it. But on this website for some reason the top 500 most popular shows seems to be what people think of as mainstream... :/

lol But seriously outside the anime community, nobody actually knows what the heck I am talking about when I try to talk about say Wolf's Rain- which used to be on Adult Swim but... a lot of people forgot about it. lol. If I talk about Yami no Matsui which did air on Sci-fi channel- people don't know that either.

Even Inuyasha as of late has been getting some head tilts.

Yeah Underground-

Cipher the Video. Go watch it. lol.
Jan 4, 2017 5:46 AM

Mar 2015
KuroudoAkabane said:
So we have these threads talking about popular and or main stream anime VS underground anime etc...

but which are these anime?

I just watch whats on tv, animax to be precise, so I guess everything I watch is popular or mainstream....

but im sure there are a lot of shows the rest of you would consider mainstream or popular....

and which are the big 4? or is it big 3? or 5?
Basically all the top 100 anime in popularity are considered mainstream. (Out of which I have watched 60-70%....)
dont't watch that anime if you are going to give it 1* and cry 10000 words in review about it.
Jan 4, 2017 6:14 AM

Nov 2014
There's the anime community mainstream (ACM) and there's the mainstream mainstream (MM). The stuff you've heard go a few rounds every year in the anime community is ACM, like RE:Zero, Keijo and Yuri on Ice was this year. The kind of stuff you hear regular people go "Hey, you watch anime right? Have you watched XXX?" is MM. That's the general guideline for me anyway.

Even the older anime that used to air on whatever American channels are somewhat less MM now, while they've been watched by many back in the day. The number of new people who watch anime now is far far greater than traffic we've ever seen before. I've begun to find more and more people who've watched Shingeki no Kyojin, Tokyo Ghoul or One Punch Man, yet have never delved into older stuff even as big as Fairy Tail or One Piece.

So do we change the definition of MM to fit the era the anime was aired? Or do we gradually downgrade these anime from the MM category? I'm more for the second one because the people who watched past mainstream anime tend to have already planted themselves into the anime community somewhat. Nowadays I get the "Nah I'm not going to spend lots of time on anime" when I recommend them any other anime.
BurningSpiritJan 4, 2017 6:18 AM
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Jan 4, 2017 6:46 AM

Jul 2015
@Jonouchi-Katsuya with it's sales, I'm pretty sure NGE is the most mainstream mainstream show ever. NGE=obscure/"elitists" is a curious case of collective hallucination.
Jan 4, 2017 6:58 AM

Jun 2011
Clebardman said:
@Jonouchi-Katsuya with it's sales, I'm pretty sure NGE is the most mainstream mainstream show ever. NGE=obscure/"elitists" is a curious case of collective hallucination.

Considering when normal people watch it they just hate Shinji and say 1/10 lol bad animation 2deep4me. I kinda don't think it is just that. And since welp, it can't exactly have sales... like original series wise in the USA... *becomes frustrated* I say... yeah no. But Also considering there are fans like me... who bought every single release... even though she already owned it... because she is just a major Otaku like that... I am sure there are others. I whip it out like Kirino from Oreimo. lol.

But You really do have to watch other stuff before you watch Eva. You can't have it be your first anime. Eva is an Otaku anime. It is the ultimate Otaku indulgence (I mean you could sooner watch flippen Haruhi without prior anime knowledge- and yes Haruhi is an otaku anime). It is mainstream in popularity but it is mainstream amongst ANIME FANS. Because if I start talking Eva to people who don't know anime... they don't even know it.

This website has a rediculous notion of what is underground.

Kanashimi no Belladonna should not be the threshold. And certainly not the dementia anime that are listed below the top 10 rated. (which I have watched 30 of...why did I waste my time omg what did I do with my life) The Dementia section I don't think is even mostly for anime fans. They are for animation fans. People who will... just watch anything animated. because they like art.
Energetic-NovaJan 4, 2017 7:12 AM
Jan 4, 2017 10:08 PM

Aug 2015
Okay, one is shit anime that you hear from casuals that don't know nothing about anime.

The other is shit anime that you hear from filthy casuals in wolves' clothing who don't realise they know nothing about anime.
SomeEdgeLord said:

I WILL report you from this forum if this continues.
In real life, I am one of the coldest, unsympathetic, people you'll ever know, who's grown up in an even colder household, you really don't want me to break my persona, I know how to make people feel bad.

YearnsforAttention said:
hm who has 1656 friends on MAL
that's right me
bye bye

YearnsforAttention said:
I don't want your approval
how many damn times do I need to say it
I enjoy irritating you
I am gonna do things MY way
Jan 5, 2017 5:37 AM

Jun 2015
Jonouchi-Katsuya said:
Yami no Matsui

im not gonna watch cipher...

a bored mid twenties black haired guy stuck in a dead end job [pun intended] and another named HISOKA? sounded like a gr8 anime, till I read the desc's last line..... and looked up the genre tag properly.

it's not SHONEN, its shonen ai....

no thnk u

i have only watched like twelve of those top 100 and only like 20 have been played on tv here........
Jan 5, 2017 7:38 AM

Jun 2011
KuroudoAkabane said:
Jonouchi-Katsuya said:
Yami no Matsui

im not gonna watch cipher...

a bored mid twenties black haired guy stuck in a dead end job [pun intended] and another named HISOKA? sounded like a gr8 anime, till I read the desc's last line..... and looked up the genre tag properly.

it's not SHONEN, its shonen ai....

no thnk u

i have only watched like twelve of those top 100 and only like 20 have been played on tv here........

The funniest part is, it did air on the sci-fi channel. It was like... light enough that, nobody noticed somehow the first episode in my anime club except fujos that it was shonen ai. *laughs*. It is shonen ai because of the gay villain. It is about Shinigami that are partners in an occult style anime. The Villain is a rapist. The bishie main heros are shippy. But otherwise- it is a really... LIGHT shonen ai in the sense that... you are meant to hate the most outward sexual elements of the show. And there are some really hot women in the show for some reason. That vampire chick. The mere fact it was able to be aired on TV in the USA during the first bush presidency should say a lot about how light it was. It actually went over my head when I watched it as a 12 year old. I did miss the first episode though. I kinda just thought... they were just... occult hunter people who were pretty. *was innocent*

But honestly- if you watch any shonen ai, you should consider watching Gravitation or Doukyuusei. But preferably Gravitation.

Anyway. Princess Tutu is also very good. And I think it is better than Madoka.

I personally enjoyed watching A Country Doctor which does't look like anime...

I have a ton of anime in my list that are like below the top 500... some are in 3000s in popularity. But I have also watched a lot of the top most popular stuff too and enjoyed them too.

Things that are considered actually good that people rec to others on my list:
Rose of Versailles, Oniisama E, Sound of the Sky, SexFriend (it is a really good hentai kay), Tsugou no Yoi Sexfriend? (also a really good hentai).

Things I most loved in the top 500:
Akira, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Perfect Blue, Chihayafuru, Golden boy, Grave of the Fireflies, Wolf's Rain, Yuri on Ice, Azumanga Daioh, Haruhi Suzumiya, Yu Yu Hakusho.

Things I loved that other people never rec:
Moldiver
Aku no Hana
Chobits
Omae Umasou da na ?(probably the most underground thing ever and I wish it was dubbed)
Otaku no Video
Video Girl Ai (an ecchi that made me cry every ep)
End of Summer (hentai that is very consensual and old)
AND.. Yugioh... because why would you rec that garbage?
Jan 5, 2017 7:42 AM

Jun 2011
But I will say why you should watch Cipher the Video.

"Take a look at me NOWWW Theirs just an empty space!!!" Set to a New York pre 2001... and there are long ass panning shots of the twin towers as well as other New York land marks but seems VERY fixated on that. Also the original voice acting is in English... lol. Best watched with a group of unsuspecting friends.
Jan 6, 2017 2:52 AM

Jun 2015
Jonouchi-Katsuya said:
Also the original voice acting is in English.
Now you have me convinced.
Jonouchi-Katsuya said:
The Villain is a rapist. The bishie main heros are shippy.
Why are you talking about hunter hunter now?

I dont watch any shonen ai......

btw thx for countryside doctor rec....

will watch both those
Jan 6, 2017 3:01 AM

Oct 2014
Mainstream anime are basically anything non-anime fans would have heard of before (Dragon Ball Z, Sailor Moon, One Punch Man, ect.), underground anime are anything outside of the top 1000 most popular on MAL, and "normal" anime is everything in between.

More topics from this board

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - 9 minutes ago

1 by Serafos »»
7 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Yesterday

59 by AzafuseKingTora »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » What is your most common reason for rewatching anime?

MeanMrMusician - 1 hour ago

9 by Ricchan__ »»
15 minutes ago

» Isekai anime are better than any other genre.

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 20

36 by Vendicator »»
29 minutes ago

» have you guys watched texhnolyze?

brainburger - Yesterday

36 by inim »»
33 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.