Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 27, 2016 4:16 PM

Aug 2016
I'm not exactly sure what the problem is. It's obviously not meant to be taken seriously. Or are you the kind of person who would dislike the Evangelion Schick commercials too?
People who put MAL stats in their sigs are losers lol
Dec 27, 2016 4:24 PM

Jun 2011
Psyotic said:
I'm not exactly sure what the problem is. It's obviously not meant to be taken seriously. Or are you the kind of person who would dislike the Evangelion Schick commercials too?

I don't know what Evangelion Shick commercials are but what's wrong with complaining about a character for a legitimate reason? Defending Asuka and other characters of Eva because they're "just kids" and that Eva is in your mind the best anime to exist and no one can tell you otherwise doesn't make this acceptable. A positive person makes people like you and want to be around you. A negative person makes people stay away from you and possibly see you as a hostile person.

Cowboy Bebop is my favorite anime and I don't go around saying "Oh, that person dislikes it so they don't need to be taken seriously." I understand it does have some flaws that may put people off but I'm glad a lot of people still love it.

I'm just telling you to have some common sense. I don't know who you are but don't go criticizing people like that.
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.
Dec 27, 2016 4:29 PM

Oct 2014
RainyRai said:

>not appreciating how much of a cunt Asuka is
How disgusting tbh

Can I make that my new sig?

too~short
RainyRai said:

How disgusting tbh
Dec 27, 2016 4:34 PM

Aug 2016
pinkarray said:

I don't know what Evangelion Shick commercials

Oh my god, you are missing out

Defending Asuka and other characters of Eva because they're "just kids" and that Eva is in your mind the best anime to exist and no one can tell you otherwise doesn't make this acceptable.

That's not why I'm saying this acceptable, though. You can't exactly criticize After the End in the way you would NGE and EoE. Both of those are main series and are pretty serious. This just seems like a joke the writers did to kinda make a satire out of how some series never end because of the fan's demand.

A positive person makes people like you and want to be around you. A negative person makes people stay away from you and possibly see you as a hostile person.

Um, okay? And? Are we criticizing Asuka and Shinji now, or are we still on the obvious joke piece?

I don't know who you are but don't go criticizing people like that.

There's a big difference between criticizing a person and making behavioral assumptions based on prior actions.
Dec 27, 2016 4:43 PM

Jun 2011
Psyotic said:
pinkarray said:

Defending Asuka and other characters of Eva because they're "just kids" and that Eva is in your mind the best anime to exist and no one can tell you otherwise doesn't make this acceptable.

That's not why I'm saying this acceptable, though. You can't exactly criticize After the End in the way you would NGE and EoE. Both of those are main series and are pretty serious. This just seems like a joke the writers did to kinda make a satire out of how some series never end because of the fan's demand.

A positive person makes people like you and want to be around you. A negative person makes people stay away from you and possibly see you as a hostile person.

Um, okay? And? Are we criticizing Asuka and Shinji now, or are we still on the obvious joke piece?

There's a big difference between criticizing a person and making behavioral assumptions based on prior actions.

I'm a tough critic so I don't care if it's fan-made or some parody, or a movie. I can criticize them because there were other ways that could've made them better.

I was criticizing Asuka for her negative behaviors. I know Shinji's nicer but he's still too shy, whiny, stupid, and passive for my taste.

Well, I don't know what you meant by "this topic shouldn't be taken seriously" then.
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.
Dec 27, 2016 4:47 PM

Oct 2014
Is the audio at hand the one where they discuss rebooting the show as a sentai series and such? Cause that really should be taken as a comedy. Do you critique a comedy the same way you would a dramatic series? Do you hold compare something like Konosuba to something like Monster, to present an example?
RainyRai said:

How disgusting tbh
Dec 27, 2016 4:55 PM

Jun 2011
Toa_of_Gallifrey said:
Is the audio at hand the one where they discuss rebooting the show as a sentai series and such? Cause that really should be taken as a comedy. Do you critique a comedy the same way you would a dramatic series? Do you hold compare something like Konosuba to something like Monster, to present an example?

Yes, I critique a comedy anime the way I would a dramatic series. There's nothing wrong with that. I critique any movie of any genre. I haven't seen Konosuba, but I've seen some of Monster but I don't think it looks similar to Konosuba and you don't make logical sense. There's nothing wrong with criticizing a comedy for having hostile characters in there. That is legit dramatic to defend hostile characters when someone honestly, nicely talks about that their behavior is not acceptable. Or you are just being too kind. You wouldn't want to be around that kind of people in real life, right?

Aria the Animation is a comedy and I wrote a review about why I didn't like it.

Dec 27, 2016 6:01 PM

Oct 2014
pinkarray said:
Toa_of_Gallifrey said:

Yes, I critique a comedy anime the way I would a dramatic series. There's nothing wrong with that. I critique any movie of any genre. I haven't seen Konosuba, but I've seen some of Monster but I don't think it looks similar to Konosuba and you don't make logical sense. There's nothing wrong with criticizing a comedy for having hostile characters in there. That is legit dramatic to defend hostile characters when someone honestly, nicely talks about that their behavior is not acceptable. Or you are just being too kind. You wouldn't want to be around that kind of people in real life, right?

Aria the Animation is a comedy and I wrote a review about why I didn't like it.

I wasn't implying there was anything wrong with that, everyone has their own way to view things. I would be terrified of Dio Brando or Kira Yoshikage in real life but I love watching them be evil and do their thing. I'd probably avoid someone like Asuka in real life but I find her to be a compelling character and thus I like her. I don't excuse the way she acts, but I find the way she's written to be very interesting and enjoy seeing her interact with the other characters of the show.

When I watch a series, I consider what it is trying to do and what it ends up doing. Aside from lampooning video game and isekai tropes, Konosuba is a comedy about total assholes being dicks to each other. In fact, I'd say the main reason I thought it was so good was because of the character interactions, not so much the parodying of its setting. The plot is a rather simple premise and while episodic plots sometimes throw twists, they're for ultimately for comedic value and to get a reaction out of the characters. Compare Monogatari where for the most parts characters have Seinfled-esque conversations that are quite humorous and contrast Fate/Zero where some characters are assholes yet they're very entertaining to watch not for comedy but for the serious conversations they have about their philosophies. In a serious show such as Fate/Zero, most of these characters are villains but, without giving anything away, some characters we're supposed to root for are also definitely not nice and do bad things but are understandable in what they do, even if one does not condone it, and ultimately one can root for them. In Konosuba, the characters are apathetic jerks but that lets us laugh at them when they get what's coming to them. In Evangelion this is more like Fate/Zero where Asuka is a cunt but we learn exactly what her problem is and can begin to understand why she acts the way she acts. We're not supposed to support her, but one can respect her.

The only time I can remember off the top of my head that a character acting like a jerk actually bothered me and I thought worked to the detriment of the show was in Kuma Miko, which is incidentally a comedy, where a character at the end of the show does something oddly mean-spirited and very out of character. In contrast with Konosuba, this character never got their comeuppance for what they did.

Now, I haven't heard the Evangelion audio story but from what I had read before, it seemed like a parody. The best example I can compare this to off the top of my head is Akame ga Kill! and its chibi companion parody show, Akame ga Kill! Theater. I judged them both differently as one is a full action show and the other one is a series of shorts lampooning its parent series. In fact, I found Theater to be much better because it does a good job at poking fun at Akame ga Kill! while the show proper had a lot of problems in what it was.

Another example is comparing Fate/Zero to Fate/Zero: Please! Einzbern Consultation Room; the former being a grand battle royale and the latter being a companion series explaining some of the deeper lore of the franchise that is unnecessary for the show proper with a healthy dose of comedy and some fanservice (the fanboy kind, not the sexy kind) sprinkled in at the end for good measure. I can't judge both equally. Either I give high marks to Einzbern Consultation Room for being a very funny comedy and trash Fate/Zero because it wasn't funny at all, or give high praise to Fate/Zero for being an excellent drama and condemn Einzbern Consultation Room for merely being a fun afterword. I have to judge both separately.

Of course, that's just in tone. In terms of writing, cinematography, music, animation and pacing things are less specialized but even then tone dictates how the writing, music and sometimes the animation will work. The cinematography and pacing should also fit what kind of show it is. Ideally, a comedy like Konosuba should have a brisk pacing to keep the laughs coming while a dramatic show like Fate/Zero should take the time to properly establish its setting and characters before the action truly gets rolling. This isn't a hard and fast rule either, a fast-paced action show that contains drama and humor like Baccano! would not be as good if it slowed down and let us catch our breath. It has to keep the action pumping to feel like the wild ride that it is, as well as the serious plot reveals to keep it moving along. Likewise a slice of life like Tanaka-kun can be a slow burn that's equal portions relaxing and funny. It doesn't need to be relentless laughs.

I think I strayed from the main point a bit but what I'm trying to get across is how I see it. I'm not attacking your point of view or trying to persuade you otherwise.
RainyRai said:

How disgusting tbh
Dec 27, 2016 6:06 PM

Aug 2014
Psyotic said:
pinkarray said:

Oh my fucking god, I had heard about these commercials but this is the first time I've ever actually watched one. This is going on my profile right now!
Dec 28, 2016 8:55 PM

Aug 2016
pinkarray said:

I'm a tough critic so I don't care if it's fan-made or some parody, or a movie.

A "tough critic" understand what a show tries to do and evaluates how well it achieves this, for the most part keeping their subjective views out of it.

Well, I don't know what you meant by "this topic shouldn't be taken seriously" then.

This was obviously not made with character or plot integrity at mind. Fucking hell, the entire time they're breaking the fourth wall. Does that scream serious to you?
Dec 29, 2016 8:27 AM

Jun 2011
Psyotic said:
pinkarray said:

I'm a tough critic so I don't care if it's fan-made or some parody, or a movie.

A "tough critic" understand what a show tries to do and evaluates how well it achieves this, for the most part keeping their subjective views out of it.

This was obviously not made with character or plot integrity at mind. Fucking hell, the entire time they're breaking the fourth wall. Does that scream serious to you?

I don't know when they are and not breaking the fourth wall. But even when characters break the fourth wall being negative, I don't like it. This parody is still annoying to me and I can't stand it.

I wasn't implying there was anything wrong with that, everyone has their own way to view things. I would be terrified of Dio Brando or Kira Yoshikage in real life but I love watching them be evil and do their thing. I'd probably avoid someone like Asuka in real life but I find her to be a compelling character and thus I like her. I don't excuse the way she acts, but I find the way she's written to be very interesting and enjoy seeing her interact with the other characters of the show.

When I watch a series, I consider what it is trying to do and what it ends up doing. Aside from lampooning video game and isekai tropes, Konosuba is a comedy about total assholes being dicks to each other. In fact, I'd say the main reason I thought it was so good was because of the character interactions, not so much the parodying of its setting. The plot is a rather simple premise and while episodic plots sometimes throw twists, they're for ultimately for comedic value and to get a reaction out of the characters. Compare Monogatari where for the most parts characters have Seinfled-esque conversations that are quite humorous and contrast Fate/Zero where some characters are assholes yet they're very entertaining to watch not for comedy but for the serious conversations they have about their philosophies. In a serious show such as Fate/Zero, most of these characters are villains but, without giving anything away, some characters we're supposed to root for are also definitely not nice and do bad things but are understandable in what they do, even if one does not condone it, and ultimately one can root for them. In Konosuba, the characters are apathetic jerks but that lets us laugh at them when they get what's coming to them. In Evangelion this is more like Fate/Zero where Asuka is a cunt but we learn exactly what her problem is and can begin to understand why she acts the way she acts. We're not supposed to support her, but one can respect her.

The only time I can remember off the top of my head that a character acting like a jerk actually bothered me and I thought worked to the detriment of the show was in Kuma Miko, which is incidentally a comedy, where a character at the end of the show does something oddly mean-spirited and very out of character. In contrast with Konosuba, this character never got their comeuppance for what they did.

Now, I haven't heard the Evangelion audio story but from what I had read before, it seemed like a parody. The best example I can compare this to off the top of my head is Akame ga Kill! and its chibi companion parody show, Akame ga Kill! Theater. I judged them both differently as one is a full action show and the other one is a series of shorts lampooning its parent series. In fact, I found Theater to be much better because it does a good job at poking fun at Akame ga Kill! while the show proper had a lot of problems in what it was.

Another example is comparing Fate/Zero to Fate/Zero: Please! Einzbern Consultation Room; the former being a grand battle royale and the latter being a companion series explaining some of the deeper lore of the franchise that is unnecessary for the show proper with a healthy dose of comedy and some fanservice (the fanboy kind, not the sexy kind) sprinkled in at the end for good measure. I can't judge both equally. Either I give high marks to Einzbern Consultation Room for being a very funny comedy and trash Fate/Zero because it wasn't funny at all, or give high praise to Fate/Zero for being an excellent drama and condemn Einzbern Consultation Room for merely being a fun afterword. I have to judge both separately.

Of course, that's just in tone. In terms of writing, cinematography, music, animation and pacing things are less specialized but even then tone dictates how the writing, music and sometimes the animation will work. The cinematography and pacing should also fit what kind of show it is. Ideally, a comedy like Konosuba should have a brisk pacing to keep the laughs coming while a dramatic show like Fate/Zero should take the time to properly establish its setting and characters before the action truly gets rolling. This isn't a hard and fast rule either, a fast-paced action show that contains drama and humor like Baccano! would not be as good if it slowed down and let us catch our breath. It has to keep the action pumping to feel like the wild ride that it is, as well as the serious plot reveals to keep it moving along. Likewise a slice of life like Tanaka-kun can be a slow burn that's equal portions relaxing and funny. It doesn't need to be relentless laughs.

I think I strayed from the main point a bit but what I'm trying to get across is how I see it. I'm not attacking your point of view or trying to persuade you otherwise.

Okay, I didn't understand. Thanks for describing what you were trying to say in more detail.

Rather than be understanding of Asuka's pain and suffering, you just wanna be another source of Asuka's turmoil. That's a very negative way to approach this, coming from someone that supposedly hates negative things...?

I hate certain negative things but I seem to be somehow attracted to others. Which is causing me to take in all this negative energy.

Dec 29, 2016 10:50 AM

Aug 2016
pinkarray said:

I don't know when they are and not breaking the fourth wall. But even when characters break the fourth wall being negative, I don't like it. This parody is still annoying to me and I can't stand it.

The characters spend the entire time trying to make more episodes for a new season. They recognize they are in a TV show and are therefore breaking the fourth wall.

Why is breaking the fourth wall a negative?

And just because you don't like how some characters behave, doesn't mean they are bad characters or that the show they are in is bad.
Jan 1, 2017 2:54 PM

Jun 2011
Psyotic said:
pinkarray said:

The characters spend the entire time trying to make more episodes for a new season. They recognize they are in a TV show and are therefore breaking the fourth wall.

Why is breaking the fourth wall a negative?

And just because you don't like how some characters behave, doesn't mean they are bad characters or that the show they are in is bad.

I never said that breaking the fourth wall was a negative, I said I don't like when the characters misbehave when they're talking to the audience.

Jan 20, 2017 7:02 PM

Apr 2013
pinkarray said:

I hate everything about NGE. Yet some of the games are mediocre. The characters are stereotypical and almost everyone are selfish in there.

but Evangelion started some of those stereotypes, so...
Jan 20, 2017 7:04 PM

Oct 2012
A-S-U-K-A said:
pinkarray said:

I hate everything about NGE. Yet some of the games are mediocre. The characters are stereotypical and almost everyone are selfish in there.

Er, I think it's more accurate to say Evangelion popularized them, but not so much originally started them.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Jan 20, 2017 7:06 PM

Apr 2013
Shoryu said:
A-S-U-K-A said:

Er, I think it's more accurate to say Evangelion popularized them, but not so much originally started them.

either way, since they weren't mainstream tropes at the time, i think it's unwarranted to call them stereotypes
Jan 20, 2017 7:09 PM

Oct 2012
A-S-U-K-A said:
Shoryu said:

either way, since they weren't mainstream tropes at the time, i think it's unwarranted to call them stereotypes

True enough, as I also personally think it's a disservice whenever such characters in NGE are described as simply "tsundere" or whatever.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you think Shinji is irredeemable?

TASM18 - Apr 15

20 by Ten »»
Apr 18, 6:01 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion - The End of Evangelion Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Zerachroma - Jun 13, 2008

533 by rengoku09_ »»
Apr 1, 5:57 AM

» should i watch this movie instead of 25-26 or should i watch 25-26 or should i watch 25-26 and the movie

CRG - Aug 21, 2023

44 by Invisible_King »»
Mar 20, 1:27 PM

» There's nothing romantic about Asuka and Shinji

Sanjay63773 - Oct 26, 2022

37 by LoveLikeBlood »»
Mar 17, 1:01 PM

» how to watch?

misasdeathnote0 - Dec 19, 2023

18 by KitsuFrost »»
Dec 28, 2023 4:01 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.