Forum Settings
Forums

Do you fit into the stereotype of the anime fan ?

New
Dec 27, 2016 5:29 AM

Dec 2016
You know that all anime fans are lonely neets, socially awkward, have bad hygiene and probably have some sort of mental disorder. Btw this is not a hate thread i'm just wondering what type of people are on this site.

한 번만 살지만 제대로 하면 한 번이면 충분해요
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Dec 27, 2016 5:31 AM

Oct 2013
thelaughingman98 said:
You know that all anime fans are lonely neets, socially awkward, have bad hygiene and probably have some sort of mental disorder. Btw this is not a hate thread i'm just wondering what type of people are on this site.
oh yeah I fit into the stereotype
doesn't help I have a body pillow either but it was totally worth it
Dec 27, 2016 5:33 AM

Apr 2011
I would not name myself an actual 'anime fan', however I do fit that description quite well (apart from the hygiene; I am very clean and sanitized, thank you very much). I am a high-functioning autistic person and cannot distinguish myself in social circles or society — therefore I am currently unemployed and not in school, and neither do I have any acquaintances with whom I am friendly. I simply believe that people who are less social have more time to grow fond of a medium such as anime (or any franchise that can be enjoyed by yourself) because of having less responsibilities on a social scale, it is not especially that 'anime is for the socially awkward'.

» "You've fought a valiant duel, my friend..." «

⍏⍏⍏⍏⍏

inspector @ MAL's anime watching challenge
Dec 27, 2016 5:39 AM
Feb 2016
i'm not a neet, i'm becoming less socially awkward, i have ok hygiene and i have no diagnosed mental disorder

yay me :)
Dec 27, 2016 5:46 AM

Dec 2015
People say I'm a quirky person and fun to talk to (at first, they said I look like a quite and cold person from my appereance but when they really talk to me they said im actually a fun person). But Im not a type of person who could talk a lot about stuff to any people. I have my wall too and I will only be opened to any I want to be open with (and this not because Im an anime fan, Im just born like this).. I took an MBTI test and Im an INTP.
Oh and Im not a NEET, I have work and project as well :) and my family said im the cleanest person in the family especially about food and cook. thats it..
EufieDec 27, 2016 6:38 AM
"It’s so ri-ri-diculous that I h-hope you understand even if I st-st-stutter, my t-t-talking ability is a little lacking
Still I wanted to at least s-speak co-co-correctly but my mouth keeps getting c-c-crooked because I lo-lo-love it so much, love it so mu-much "

[signature]
Dec 27, 2016 5:49 AM

Dec 2016
Lestat- said:
people who are less social have more time to grow fond of a medium such as anime (or any franchise that can be enjoyed by yourself) because of having less responsibilities on a social scale, it is not especially that 'anime is for the socially awkward'.

Hm, this makes a lot of sense, and I guess it's obvious, but for some reason I have never thought of it myself. I'd say it still varies case to case though.
As for myself, looking at me people would never guess I'm into anime (and they never do). But mentally, I follow precisely the book description of an otaku. Honestly, it still surprises me when I meet anime fans who do fit the physical description of a typical otaku, and thinking about it, those I met weren't that socially awkward or lonely either. They were all outgoing and loud and... overwhelming. But I guess it makes sense that I haven't met the lonely type, lol.
Dec 27, 2016 5:51 AM
Jul 2018
I am currently a neet, not really socially awkward tho I have no social life, I have good hygiene and I was not disgnosed with any mental disorders.
Dec 27, 2016 5:54 AM

Nov 2009
You're still suspicious as hell, thelaughingman98. Including not answering in your previous thread.

I do have a job.
My social skills are low, and I do not like socializing too much, but I avoid claiming that I have autism spectrum disorder until I'm actually diagnosed with one by a medical professional. I have reasons to suspect it.
I am alright with my hygiene. I've heard that American hygiene standards are absurd, something like taking a shower every day, so it's no wonder they complain about other people's hygiene all the time.
I own some anime goods, including anime girl figurines, but no dakimakura. Hmm... maybe I should get one someday.
Dec 27, 2016 5:57 AM
Jan 2016
Not really. My friends at the university were baffled when once I described myself as a socially awkward person and they claim that I'm very sociable, talkative and funny. According to one of them I would make a good salesman, for some reason...
Dec 27, 2016 6:10 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
No, I look like i should be playing basketball or rapping

And I work 5 days a week at a job that forces one to be social

Is this enough?
Dec 27, 2016 6:24 AM

May 2016
Not a NEET, currently studying, though I wish I had the resources to actually become one.
Not socially awkward, but I have to be forced to socialize, usually by my firends.
Good enough hygiene, a shower each day, otherwise I'd feel unpleasant.
Psychologically, I'm positive they'd find something, since that's what some people tell me, but I can't be bothered to go and check and the murders haven't started yet.
No anime goods, I'm unable to pay for them. At some point, I'll probably get a dakimakura, only to hang it on the wall as a trophy.
Dec 27, 2016 6:32 AM

Nov 2014
Not really. I mean sometimes I feel like one, shutting myself for a few hours to watch anime, in the end, I still know I am far from one.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Dec 27, 2016 6:42 AM

Dec 2014
I am like you say, but i think is a coincidence
Dec 27, 2016 6:48 AM

Dec 2015
thelaughingman98 said:

Shhhh...we all know that if you're a fan of anime you have a mental disorder, just like you OP.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Dec 27, 2016 6:52 AM

Jun 2015
I love how they think being neet or anti-social is cool thing.
Well you can understand it from their avatar tbh.
If its tokyo ghoul, mirai nikki etc. he is new to the anime and he's probably still young.
If its naruto, bleach etc. he doesn't follow the anime news much, so he's fine.
If there is a quote from an anime/a manga (especially hikigaya hachiman stuff) well you know what they say.
weebs
Dec 27, 2016 6:55 AM

Mar 2016
I have friends, just odd ones.
I can't stand a day without a shower, I'm too much of a hygiene freak for that.
Some tell me I have mental problems and should get help or medication, but apparently I don't come off that way in reality, as no one says such a thing to me offline. Then again, I don't talk to people, so maybe that's the reason.
Yes, I'm the type to not go outside or talk to people willingly.
YaoiMasterDec 27, 2016 6:59 AM
WORK IN PROGRESS
~The frog leapt forth to my lilypad memory.~
I was indoctrinated by an inamorata rabbit,
Adenomata affronted.
It was the verecund, dismissed creatures
That I jubilated in most.
This rabbit I would nurture,
At the aiguille of esse,
The anneal of noblesse.
❤️ Birdie ❤️

Dec 27, 2016 6:59 AM

Oct 2014
I am not sure
Does virgin 18 year old antissocials are part of this stereotype?
Because that is clearly not my case
Dec 27, 2016 7:14 AM

Sep 2012
This is your third topic and I am tired to give an answer at same level of your question.

How low is this?
Dec 27, 2016 7:25 AM
Sep 2016
I don't think so? I'm pretty athletic, I can socialize with most people, and I'm about to enrole into uni soon. I shower at least once a day because its what I've been doing my whole life.

Mental disorders is a maybe... If they dig deep enough there might be some but I'm able to act like a normie xD
Dec 27, 2016 7:49 AM

Jan 2016
I'm fine socially. I play basketball, but I'm not all about that fit life. I'm pretty neat; I clean up everything in my house, nice and tidy. And I'm not mentally incapable either.
Dec 27, 2016 10:18 AM

Apr 2016
EcchiLordMamster said:

Is this enough?

NO. DO YOU HAVE AUTISM? I'm screaming :@
Dec 27, 2016 10:25 AM

Feb 2015
I don't match it at all! I get up at 8:00 I study all day, I workout, compete horses, pursuing a career, love being outside and love everything about Japanese culture besides anime (I've been obsessed about it since I was 3, I started watching anime when I was 11).

I watch anime at night when everyone else is watching TV, though I'm a serious fan girl and do buy merchandise sometimes, I could certainly live without it. Its just my entertainment medium as regular TV bores me.

ALSO.... I WORSHIP FRANKU-SAMA~!!!
Dec 27, 2016 10:32 AM

Nov 2016
I don't really think so, honestly.
Am I socially awkward? Not really, I do "kinda" socialize although I don't really like it but I do have many people that would normally be considered as "friends" tho I consider them as "aquaintances" or "buddies" if we're real close (since I don't call anybody a "friend").
I don't think I have a bad hygiene. I don't shower every fucking single day but I don't "not shower at all"...
I'm not a NEET as I'm a proper (more or less) high school student who only skips school for a good reason. And I don't have a Mental Disorder, I guess? I never really checked but I don't think I have one.
So I guess I don't really fit into "that" stereotype of Otaku?

« If you want to be yourself, then you must become strong and beautiful. »
- Vil Schoenheit
🕂Anime List🕂Manga List🕂VN List🕂
♥ Credits to Shuuka
Dec 27, 2016 10:35 AM

Sep 2016
im always trying to avoid you guys disgusting creepy otaku
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Dec 27, 2016 10:39 AM

Jul 2015
I don't think there's anyone out there that doesn't fit into any stereotype :P
Dec 27, 2016 10:41 AM

Jun 2016
Im not really lonely, I have a job, and bath regularly. Although, I do have pretty bad OCD.

So i'd say "no, i dont fit it"

"The sun is my enemy, but the moon has been good to me."
Dec 27, 2016 10:41 AM
Mar 2016
Anime as only hobby? Check
Fed up with humanity? Check
Staying indoors all the time? Check
Not much care in hygiene? Check
Conclusion: Not typical anime fan, just lifeless teen
Dec 27, 2016 10:51 AM

May 2014
Not really sure...I mean I am pretty anti-social , but it's my own choice rather than something I've basically been forced to be because I'm introverted or socially awkward . I'm the opposite when I'm with my friends- the loud, giddy one! I just can't be bothered going out half the time...I'm lazy. It's pretty much an inside joke at this point- people place bets on whether I'll actually show up or not XD

I'm also told I look like an anime character as well...it's probably my hair and fashion choices I guess. All the anime must rub off on me without me realizing 😅
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 27, 2016 11:12 AM

Sep 2016
Well, I am socially awkward but i have to socialize because i am a student. I don't have any mental disorder and my personal hygiene is alright, i guess.
Dec 27, 2016 3:10 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
KawaiiNekoChanXD said:
EcchiLordMamster said:

Is this enough?

NO. DO YOU HAVE AUTISM? I'm screaming :@

I wouldnt have any idea, never looked into that, and never been diagnosed with it, so probably not xD
Dec 27, 2016 3:19 PM

Jun 2015
Well I work 50+ hours a week and shower daily. I also don't have autism, but I am a bit socially awkward.
:)
Dec 27, 2016 3:21 PM

Jan 2016
There are some traits that fit my description, primarily being socially awkward, but overall I don't fit the stereotype.
Dec 27, 2016 3:27 PM
Jul 2018
I worry a lot about proper hygiene -- probably more so than most people -- but other than that, yes...
Seeing as I have a mental disorder and am 31 years-old with no wife or children, I fit the stereotype perfectly.

And people wonder why I need my "Yotsubas" and "Ren-chons" to survive...
Dec 27, 2016 3:36 PM

Jul 2015
No, I have very good hygiene, I take a shower every day! I'm also not into this otaku stuff like cosplay, collectibles or conventions. (PS....I'm not a lunatic either!)
Dec 27, 2016 3:37 PM

Jul 2015
I don't think anything you said would describe me, OP. I'm just weird af.
Dec 27, 2016 3:47 PM

Mar 2014
Well, I worry a lot about my hygiene and my looks. I also have a boyfriend. Despite that, to the rest of people I'm still the ''weird girl'' who likes Asian stuff, always wears black and looks like a ''kawaii emo'' - which is annoying because I hate weeaboos, koreaboos and edgy kids. Those creepy kids always talk to me like I'm one of them lol so I guess that for some people I fit into the stereotype for my outer appearance and clothes. Anyway, I'm not socially awkward (only shy) and I have social life unlike some otaku wannabes here.

I had major depressive disorder and generalized anxiety disorder, but that's not ''mental illness'' because it's neuroses and not psychoses.
ParanticaDec 27, 2016 3:51 PM
23 ♀ | ES/ENG

Dec 27, 2016 4:18 PM

Aug 2016
Lol fuck no. I'm too disgusted by those types of people to interact with them, let alone behave like them.
People who put MAL stats in their sigs are losers lol
Dec 27, 2016 4:26 PM

Apr 2015
I don't talk nearly enough about anime on a daily basis to qualify; most of it is in my head.

Also, I'm too handsome. Truly
Dec 27, 2016 4:41 PM

Dec 2012
No, I'm a normal person with a job, excellent mental health, and isn't fat, who is self confident and perfectly capable of socializing when need be, but socializing too much is annoying so I would also describe myself as somewhat antisocial. However, if the subject of the conversation is interesting I don't mind socializing.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Dec 27, 2016 4:46 PM

Nov 2016
I have autism, I'm not socially awkward but I am shy, I have a passion with music, I am unfit but not fat, and I do voluntary work at a charity shop.
Dec 27, 2016 4:50 PM

Feb 2013
i am a thousant pound neckbear and literally believe nippon is the saikou no kuni in the world. you got me there op well jobbed
i also mastrubate to filthy frank and believe he is truth and in stereotypes so guess were in the same boat op
Dec 27, 2016 4:50 PM

Dec 2015
thelaughingman98 said:

I am just glad, I don't belong to that. lol
Dec 27, 2016 5:48 PM

Nov 2015
Nope, I dont think I could say I like stereotypical anime stuff. Most people are pretty surprised when I go full weeb tho.
Dec 27, 2016 7:44 PM

Mar 2016
No, most people are surprised when I tell them I rarely watch TV and mostly watch anime because I don't fit the look. It makes it hard to find friends who watch as well...I need some anime t-shirts. A couple of my friends/coworkers said the first time they saw me I looked like a stuck up pretty girl.
Dec 27, 2016 8:12 PM
Jul 2018
No. I look like a girl.
Currently work five days a week and will soon be starting school. While working five days a week. Where the hell did my time go again?
Dec 27, 2016 8:28 PM
Apr 2015
No, I don't think all anime fans are like that.
I am a student. I am not socially awkward (well at least not all the time). My hygiene is pretty okay too, and I don't have any mental disorder.
Dec 27, 2016 8:32 PM
Dec 2015
I do have a job but not the most talkitive person
I do have good hygene
just a bit of an Ocd with how stuff is ordered.

Lonely not really i only socialize with particular people thats it. but this is actually an interesting thread.
Dec 28, 2016 1:19 AM

Dec 2009
Nope.
I'm a scientist, philosopher, and artist.
I also understand anime better than most because i actually take the time and brainpower to actually study it rather than just love the simple-minded stuff that doesn't require any thought.
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Dec 28, 2016 1:27 AM

Dec 2012
I don't ... But I watch more anime than a stereotype anime fan..

"They say that if you change yourself, you'll change the world, but that's a complete lie. They're just forcing you to compromise by feeding you a convenient little fib. Let me show you how to really change the world." -Hikigaya Hachiman

Dec 28, 2016 1:54 AM

Mar 2015
Let's see..

I'm in school so I'm not a NEET (yet).
I'm extremely shy and an introvert and social situations aren't really my strongest point. But I'm still able to talk to people if the situation calls for it.
I have good hygiene.
I'm not diagnosed with any mental disorders, but I wouldn't call myself the most mentally stable person.

...oh boy
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » So, is anime male or female?

Tirinchas - Yesterday

36 by FanofAction »»
11 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

85 by Satyr_icon »»
29 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - Today

44 by Kruszer »»
30 minutes ago

» You truly don't care about anime MAL score/rank? Ooh cool, but... ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 21

94 by phantomic109 »»
32 minutes ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 3 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

121 by FFandMMfan »»
39 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.