Forum Settings
Forums

[Reported] Login issues with (older) iPad/Safari

New
Dec 22, 2016 9:42 PM

Mar 2015
Just a reminder that I'm using iPad tablet on MAL via Safari.

When I tried to update my anime list such as episode count yesterday, suddenly nothing updating to my list. I cant change my score either. When I refreshed the page and tried adding +1 to my episode count, nothing changes either. I can't post my comments on the forum too but I can surf MAL freely. I tried to logout but it says "Your request produced an error: 400 BAD REQUEST".

I tried to clear cache and tried to login but it says another "400 BAD REQUEST".

I tried a different device such as PC with Firefox and tried to login and it was successful!

So Desktop is okay but I cant with iPad?? I need Help!!! @_@
LunaJan 19, 2017 2:18 AM
Dec 22, 2016 9:44 PM

Jan 2009
im not familiar with ipad or smartphones but if you have adblocking software on them then disable them first before logging in
Dec 22, 2016 9:52 PM

Mar 2015
j0x said:
im not familiar with ipad or smartphones but if you have adblocking software on them then disable them first before logging in

I don't have adblocking software .________.
Dec 22, 2016 9:55 PM

Jan 2009
Raijin-sama619 said:
j0x said:

ok i got no idea then

wait for better replies, good luck
Dec 22, 2016 9:58 PM

Mar 2015
j0x said:
Raijin-sama619 said:

ok i got no idea then

wait for better replies, good luck

Thanks for the reply though ._.
Dec 23, 2016 12:22 AM

Aug 2012
I tried it on my iPad 2 via Safari and I never encountered the same problem. Have you tried using a different browser? Update the OS?
Dec 23, 2016 2:07 AM

Mar 2015
julyan said:
I tried it on my iPad 2 via Safari and I never encountered the same problem. Have you tried using a different browser? Update the OS?

I only have Safari on my iPad. I dont have other browser.

Maybe because my iPad is 1st gen and its too old?
Dec 23, 2016 4:05 AM

Aug 2012
Raijin-sama619 said:
julyan said:

It being too old shouldn't produce this problem. Perhaps there's a connection problem. For now, I suggest using a different browser.
Dec 23, 2016 5:43 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
Try to clean the browser cache and the cookies for myanimelist. Does this resolve the problem?
Dec 23, 2016 6:15 PM

Mar 2015
julyan said:
Raijin-sama619 said:

It being too old shouldn't produce this problem. Perhaps there's a connection problem. For now, I suggest using a different browser.

I don't think it's a connection problem because I tried to login MAL with different internet connection and still the result is "400 Bad Request".
Dec 23, 2016 6:17 PM

Mar 2015
Luna said:
Try to clean the browser cache and the cookies for myanimelist. Does this resolve the problem?

I tried that too but result is still the same :(
Dec 23, 2016 11:39 PM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
Do you need your other cookies? If not try to delete them all (unless you have already done so). Maybe another cookie is broken and interfering with this.

What's the versions of your iOS and safari browser?

Have you tried to update the iOS and safari browser?

Do you have any extensions or add-ons or userscripts installed for this browser?
Dec 24, 2016 6:00 AM

Mar 2015
Luna said:
Do you need your other cookies? If not try to delete them all (unless you have already done so). Maybe another cookie is broken and interfering with this.

Do you have any extensions or add-ons or userscripts installed for this browser?

I cleared all cache and cookies besides MAL and still can't login =_=

This is my version of iOS --> 5.1.1 (9B206)
This is my version of safari --> 7534.48.3

I can't update iOS and safari browser because this iPad is too old and can be updated up to 5.1.1, which means I can't update beyond 5.1.1.

How do I confirm that I have extension or add-ons or userscript?? I'm not that knowledgeable in that kind of field. Is Javascript a userscript? If yes, I have that one.
Is it better for me to install Tampermonkey?
Raijin-sama619Dec 24, 2016 6:03 AM
Dec 24, 2016 11:33 AM

Feb 2015
Raijin-sama619 said:
Luna said:

I cleared all cache and cookies besides MAL and still can't login =_=

This is my version of iOS --> 5.1.1 (9B206)
This is my version of safari --> 7534.48.3

I can't update iOS and safari browser because this iPad is too old and can be updated up to 5.1.1, which means I can't update beyond 5.1.1.

How do I confirm that I have extension or add-ons or userscript?? I'm not that knowledgeable in that kind of field. Is Javascript a userscript? If yes, I have that one.
Is it better for me to install Tampermonkey?

Have you tried using or installing Google Chrome? I have iPad Mini 4, which doesn't have a problem, and I'm sure it isn't about the OS. And probably as Julyan said, it's about connection. Or the browser.
Dec 24, 2016 9:41 PM

Mar 2015
_Ako_ said:
Have you tried using or installing Google Chrome? I have iPad Mini 4, which doesn't have a problem, and I'm sure it isn't about the OS. And probably as Julyan said, it's about connection. Or the browser.

I tried to install Chrome a while ago and it can't because Chrome is already up to date while my OS is outdated.

I have 2 internet connection. One is PLDT Landline and other one is pocket wi-fi. I tried to login MAL using both connection but still can't login _-_
Dec 25, 2016 3:59 AM

Aug 2012
Raijin-sama619 said:
_Ako_ said:

I tried to install Chrome a while ago and it can't because Chrome is already up to date while my OS is outdated.

I have 2 internet connection. One is PLDT Landline and other one is pocket wi-fi. I tried to login MAL using both connection but still can't login _-_

Then try to use a different browser. Firefox, Opera, CM etc.
If it still doesn't work, then perhaps it is really a connection problem. However, I use PLDT too and I don't have any issues across any devices I have. Try to contact them if the problem still persists since we can't provide any assistance beyond what's already been said here. If PLDT says they don't see a problem on their end, then perhaps it's on your device, but again, that's also beyond us at that point. Try to contact Apple if it comes to that.
Dec 25, 2016 6:52 PM

Mar 2015
julyan said:
Then try to use a different browser. Firefox, Opera, CM etc.
If it still doesn't work, then perhaps it is really a connection problem. However, I use PLDT too and I don't have any issues across any devices I have. Try to contact them if the problem still persists since we can't provide any assistance beyond what's already been said here. If PLDT says they don't see a problem on their end, then perhaps it's on your device, but again, that's also beyond us at that point. Try to contact Apple if it comes to that.

I tried different browser such as "Enquire browser" which is compatible with my OS 5.1.1 but it didn't work either. It's still the same result as "400 Bad Request".

I'm not sure but I don't think it's a connection problem. Actually my aunt has iPad OS 8 and I tried to login MAL using it and you know what? I did able to login MAL!! That iPad also uses PLDT internet connection so I concluded that it's not a connection problem. There is something wrong with my iPad OS 5.1.1.

I tried to use my iPad OS 5.1.1 that requires login with different social media such as facebook and google mail and both did able to login. Only MAL is the problem so I think something is wrong with it. I just remembered that "I can't login MAL" did happened right after the Christmas themed snow falling design was introduced. I don't have evidence so I'm not sure though.

I'm also not sure but everyone who uses outdated iOS devices are not able to login MAL too. Probably they don't have a way to contact MAL staff since most people don't know the existence of MAL IRC.

I will wait patiently until Christmas design is removed. If I can't still login after that, I plan to buy a latest iPad so don't worry.
Dec 27, 2016 6:23 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
Raijin-sama619 said:
I just remembered that "I can't login MAL" did happened right after the Christmas themed snow falling design was introduced. I don't have evidence so I'm not sure though.

Ah, so in the past you could log in with your iPad? I can ask the devs to check if there's a problem with your certain iOS/browser, but they're working less over the holidays so they will probably not be able to look at this soon. So it's probably best to wait until the Christmas theme is gone (beginning of the new year), maybe that will already solve the problem. If you still can't login then, please post here again.
Dec 27, 2016 7:03 PM

Mar 2015
Luna said:
Ah, so in the past you could log in with your iPad? I can ask the devs to check if there's a problem with your certain iOS/browser, but they're working less over the holidays so they will probably not be able to look at this soon. So it's probably best to wait until the Christmas theme is gone (beginning of the new year), maybe that will already solve the problem. If you still can't login then, please post here again.

Yeah! I can login in the past.

Thanks for the support!! *bows*
Dec 29, 2016 1:18 PM
Jul 2018
Got the same problem few minutes ago. I use iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2 to log in on MAL. I guess it's happening only for Apple users?
Dec 29, 2016 6:22 PM

Mar 2015
Yaoi-Senpai said:
Got the same problem few minutes ago. I use iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2 to log in on MAL. I guess it's happening only for Apple users?

Really? I'm happy that I found the user which has same problem as me and sad at the same time. Yeah, my iPad 1 is Apple too. This is not a coincidence.
Dec 30, 2016 5:45 AM
Jul 2018
Raijin-sama619 said:
Yaoi-Senpai said:

Really? I'm happy that I found the user which has same problem as me and sad at the same time. Yeah, my iPad 1 is Apple too. This is not a coincidence.

I think we should wait till the holidays end. That's the best option.
Jan 1, 2017 6:45 PM

Mar 2015
Luna said:

Christmas theme design is gone and is back to normal and still I can't login MAL, "400 Bad Request" :(
I guess this is my iPad 1 problem after all.

Luna-san, could you ask the devs to check if there's a problem with my iOS 5.1.1 (9B206)/safari browser/version 7534.48.3??
Jan 18, 2017 7:33 PM

Mar 2015
Luna said:

Notice me Senpai! TT ^ TT

Have you read my post comment #23??
Jan 19, 2017 2:11 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
@Raijin-sama619: Sorry, I had so many notifications when I came back that I didn't see this. I've forwarded the problem now, I will let you know when I know more.

@Yaoi-Senpai: Do you also still have this problem?
Jan 19, 2017 12:02 PM
Jul 2018
@Luna Nope, no problems. I think it was because of the Christmas theme.
Jan 20, 2017 7:30 AM

Jul 2009
@Luna A change in the back-end of iOS between iOS 5.x and 6.x appears to be the main culprit here.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15481412/ipad-1-400-badrequest-with-sendasynchronousrequest-all-working-on-ipad-3
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
Jan 27, 2017 2:58 AM

Mar 2015
Luna said:
I've forwarded the problem now, I will let you know when I know more.

I want you to notice the post comment #27.
Feb 10, 2017 5:10 AM

Mar 2015
Luna said:
I've forwarded the problem now, I will let you know when I know more.

I want you to take a look at the post #27.
Feb 10, 2017 5:23 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
Sorry, but I'm not doing the coding, so I can't say if this link is about the problem or not. The link is 3 years old, so they had the problem 3 years ago, but if I understood you correctly it was working for you fine till before Christmas.

The devs said they didn't change anything before Christmas in the login functions and they haven't found out yet why there is a problem. I forwarded the link, maybe it can help them. Sorry that it's taking so long but this seems to be a more complicated problem.
Feb 10, 2017 6:25 AM

Mar 2015
Luna said:
The devs said they didn't change anything before Christmas in the login functions and they haven't found out yet why there is a problem. I forwarded the link, maybe it can help them. Sorry that it's taking so long but this seems to be a more complicated problem.

Thanks a million for the hard work, Luna-san and dev-san :o
I will wait for couple of weeks and ask you again if there is a new info. Thanks again!!
Feb 17, 2017 4:27 AM
Aug 2015
I too have this problem. I use an iPad (1st gen) and for the past 2 months, I haven't been able to login into my MAL account. It keeps giving me the "400 Bad Request" and it is frustrating. I've tried to change my browser but the iPad wouldn't allow me to download any others browsers since the iPad is outdated. Furthermore, I could not view my anime list like I used to that I had bookmarked earlier last year.

I want to let the Devs know this because I see that there are some of us who have the same exact problem. Even though there's not many of us with this problem, I would really appreciate it if someone could do something about this problem. I mainly use this iPad as a means to connect with my MAL account and it would really be ashame if I have to get a new iPad to use it since buying it would cost a fortune to me.

If you guys are working on the problem, thank you for noticing our problem and for your hard work. I would really love to use this awesome site soon it helps me connect with other awesome people. If you find anything important if you want me to know something, please ask. I would really love to help out in anyway I can.
Feb 17, 2017 5:16 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
@MrFrost70: What's your iOS version and Safari version? The same as Raijin's?

@Raijin-sama619 & MrFrost70:
I tried to find some information about this error and one thing people suggest is clearing the DNS cache. On the iPad this can be done by going into airplane mode, then turning off airplane mode. Does this help?

Also, another question to both of you: Do you get this error immediately when you try to log in, or does the website load for a while and you get the error after several seconds?
Feb 17, 2017 5:31 AM
Aug 2015
My iOS and Safari version is exactly the same as Raijin's.

The Airplane mode trick does not work for me. I've tried it a couple of times and nothing new is happening :(

I get the message after ~2-3 seconds of delay after trying it many times
mainainaiFeb 17, 2017 5:36 AM
Feb 17, 2017 6:35 PM

Mar 2015
Luna said:
I tried to find some information about this error and one thing people suggest is clearing the DNS cache. On the iPad this can be done by going into airplane mode, then turning off airplane mode. Does this help?

Also, another question to both of you: Do you get this error immediately when you try to log in, or does the website load for a while and you get the error after several seconds?

I turned on Airplane mode and turned off again and tried to login for 5 times but nothing happens, same result as Frost-san.

When I logged in, it took 4-5 seconds to appear 400 Bad Request for me.
Feb 22, 2017 10:39 PM

May 2008
I've been having the same problem since around the holidays as well. I normally use a MacBook and Safari, but it has been showing me the 400 BAD REQUEST, so I'm on a newer MacBook using Google Chrome to type this. I'm able to access everything on MAL with both computers just fine, I just can't log in. I have never had a problem with anything before now.
Feb 23, 2017 2:34 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
@inuTeaser: What's your OS and Safari versions? Have you tried clearing your cookies/cache?
Mar 14, 2017 6:58 AM
Aug 2015
@Luna : Any updates?
Mar 17, 2017 6:43 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
I don't have any updates, I will ask about it.
Apr 4, 2017 7:01 PM

Mar 2015
@Luna

I decided to buy a new iPad because old safari/iPad 1 is not supported anymore.

Recently I visited MAL and found out that the site is not functioning (No images, Menu button won't work and can't search and re-direct to home after that, etc).

I used to watch anime on kissanime and there is comment section (DISQUS) and found out that I can't view comments. It says "Your safari is not supported" :(

Therefore, I will give up on old iPad.

I really appreciate the effort of dev and Luna-san so far and I want to thank you once again.

More topics from this board

» On my profile I got the wrong number of total episodes/total time

GamiKhan - Yesterday

2 by GamiKhan »»
11 hours ago

Sticky: » Advertisement Complaint Thread ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - May 22, 2016

464 by traed »»
Yesterday, 2:06 AM

» How do you log out of My anime list on desktop?

Sunryft - Jul 28, 2023

7 by El_Kyube »»
Apr 21, 11:03 PM

» IP ban glitch?

AverageRiceFan - Apr 21

1 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 21, 5:09 PM

» How to change from desktop site back to mobile?

Omaha71 - Sep 9, 2020

9 by Otaku_Khan »»
Apr 21, 6:57 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.