Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Post New Reply
Poll: Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 12 Discussion

Dec 21, 2016 7:53 PM

I thought it was great that they didn't win. Since the novel is almost wrapped up I suppose S3 is a wash, but maybe the author can work on a sequel. I'm interested in seeing where the club goes from here.

For the third years it was bitter. They did make it to the nationals, but get a participation award.

Dec 21, 2016 7:53 PM

Shuhan said:

Yurifags can gtfo now.

you know, there is no need to insult like that, unless you are talking about the butthurts lol

-----------------------------

btw, there was LOT of stuff going on... there could be better impact if there was a performance... but okay... lets just said that there was a TOTAL lack with the performance and the result in the Nationals... i don't know it feel really rushed...

about Tsukamoto and Kumiko moment, no matter how i look at it, that relationship is forced AF, doesn't even feel real imo, i mean i'm okay with them dating, but at least make it look... real?

that aside, i Screamed like a Fangirl at that Reina's Proposal to Taki-sensei lmao
Killer Queen has already touched this Signature

Dec 21, 2016 8:28 PM

TitanAnteus said:
Erika___ said:

I am following Reina's golden voice. Wherever she goes, that's where I'll be lol. And while you think it's trash, it has everything I want. Better watch serious anime like Kuzu no Honkai instead of a comedy yuri that wont go anywhere.

Do... do you not like Comedy? Do you not like Criminale, Ojojojo, or Kaguya Wants to Be Confessed to? You're missing out on some really fun experiences if you are.

Serious romances are meh. Romance as a side plot is much better than romance as a main plot more than 90% of the time for me. Kuzu no honkai to me is terrible because the characters are alien to me. Their reason for being the way they are are so inhuman it makes any sense of drama or tension completely null.

I mean... I don't know. I enjoyed watching plastic memories than reading Kuzu no Honkai. I'd be careful if I were you. Taper your expectations. Well it doesn't matter in the end as long as you have fun :)

I like comedy but I have had enough with yuruyuri. And the yuri in Dragon isnt really what a yurifan would want. In kuzu no Honkai, at least Ecchan scored. And no need to warn me, I survived Hibike Euphonium you know. I'm just looking forward to all the shitposting in Kuzu no Honkai discussions. Maybe I'll see you there too xD

Dec 21, 2016 8:32 PM
good episode overall! but i'm a bit disappointed for not seeing their performance....that confession tho, was awesome!! BUT my ship was still Kumiko x Reina!!!just..no, NO kumiko x shuuichi!!!!!! we didn't even see their relationship development throughout two seasons! I know my ship can't be canon but can't kyoani just end this season with them being (more than) best friends!? don't just force the heterosexual pairings on us to prevent the yuri from happening!!!

Dec 21, 2016 8:42 PM

LukesYGOonYT said:
Give it up already Shuichi, Kumiko is not interested in a relationship.

I wanted to see Taki sensei wear that white suit again.

Wow that must have been some serious competition they were up against to only get a Bronze.

Those were a couple of great touching moments there for Asuka & Kumiko.

3rd season?

>give it up

Lol just wait for final ep

A certain relationship will be concluded(for more salt ofc) and no since the source material is over no chance for that. Maybe some OVA for vol 4 but I think they will get to adapt some of it in last ep.

Dec 21, 2016 8:57 PM
I watched the first season but didn't watch the second season because I read that
. I wouldn't mind if they ended up with each other if they had any chemistry in the first season. Kumiko honestly looked like she was annoyed by him every time they talked and I only watched this in the first place for the romance(bad idea). I don't like unconvincing relationships.
Modified by IIm_Clutch, Dec 22, 2016 5:54 PM

Dec 21, 2016 10:18 PM

Not really in the mood to write a paragraph/so about my feelings for this episode (>4/5ths of it is positive, anyways) so I'll just say this: the ending scene with Kumiko and her sister made me cry.

Dec 21, 2016 10:30 PM

Wonder what's going to be in the last episode now. Alright, disappointing no performance shown.

Dec 21, 2016 10:33 PM
I love seeing yurifags comment when the ship crash lol

Just need kyoani to deliver the final blow on next week episode

Dec 21, 2016 10:43 PM
La Completionist

I choked when Reina confessed, did not expect that. And twice!

Though the part that made me teary was the scene between Kumiko and her sis. :)

Dec 21, 2016 11:09 PM
💥Panzer Vor!💥

That Renia confession.

Really liked the special message for the euphonium players.

Episode went by way too quick for me, every minute was so well used.

Dec 21, 2016 11:21 PM

TitanAnteus said:
Erika___ said:

No, Im not interested in some comedic yuri that will surely be ruined by kyoani. I'll be at Kuzu no Honkai's discussions and I know I'll see you there lol

But... but that manga's trash. The lead characters are the worst people I've ever seen and there's no empathy involved at all.

Why do people like stuff like that? At least Kobayashi is funny.

I know what you mean. I don't like a single character in that manga but it was kinda my guilty pleasure to be honest. I have put the manga on hold around chapter 34 or 35 I think. It became too much for me to take.

redtailrav said:
I thought it was great that they didn't win. Since the novel is almost wrapped up I suppose S3 is a wash, but maybe the author can work on a sequel. I'm interested in seeing where the club goes from here.

For the third years it was bitter. They did make it to the nationals, but get a participation award.

Takeda confirmed that there will be nothing beyond the anecdote volume (vol. 4) of the Hibike! Euphonium novel. And it seems she liked writing Azusa's story the most which got similar reception as the original story. Although it only has 2 volumes out, there is a chance that she will write a third volume. Isn't it fun to know that a side character of Hibike! Euphonium is the main character of her latest novel? :)

Edit: Takeda also confirmed that her newest novel will be a mystery novel. Gotta give it to her! She already has a romance novel (Today, we breathed together), two adolescence novels (Sound! Euphonium and The Marching Band of Rikka High School) and now she's writing a mystery novel.
Modified by shanimebib, Dec 21, 2016 11:25 PM

Dec 22, 2016 12:04 AM

TitanAnteus said:
katsu044 said:
damn Reina slaying me confessed twice! shes got guts ,really sucks that they only got bronze with the fact that they skipped it to save time i knew it wouldn't have turned out to good sad this is the end for the 3rd years couldn't help but have a big smile on my face when Asuka heard she got praised.

for ages now i been trying to wrap my head behind how this Shuuichi thing is going to work besides a few acts of kindness hes barely around so whatever it is it must be big and happen later on, and i can't tell if the love or hate is bigger for the guy

Well I mean... her romantic life wasn't the biggest deal. Think about Taki Sensei and how much focus it got with Reina. If you really think about it, it got very few. That's because Reina was busy being developed with her musical talent and personality. Their romantic lives aren't the focus or the most important part of their lives. It's a part of it.

Same with Kumiko and Shuuichi. The whole romance there isn't really contrived imo. They showed that Kumiko isn't honest about herself and how she feels when it came to Asuka's situation and her sister's situation. They hinted at her own dishonesty with her feelings when it came to Hadzuki's confession and now we're at the end and she's being more honest with herself thanks to Reina's influence.

It's like... a culmination of her experiences led to that moment, while it still not being the main focus of the show. It's pretty smart if you ask me.
true that makes the hyperbole surrounding all the romance even dumber to point i that makes me wonder if the people wanting Kumiko and Shuuichi actually want it or just want to see "yurifags" salty.

Dec 22, 2016 12:16 AM

Great episode! Kumiko and Mamiko's scene made me tear up. So beautiful. I love their sisterly love.

Ah, waiting for my ship to finally happen. I love Shuichi a lot and can't wait for him to finally get what he wants. I said it before and I'll say it again - I'm glad that he didn't accept Hazuki's feelings. I was actually kind of worried that he will especially if he lost all hope and confidence in winning Kumiko's love.

I like Taki-sensei but I never shipped him with Reina. I actually don't ship Reina with anyone.

Waiting for the last episode. I'm so happy that the novels finally got licensed in the U.S. so I can finally read them.
Modified by HatsumiShinogu, Dec 22, 2016 12:19 AM

Dec 22, 2016 12:21 AM

katsu044 said:
true that makes the hyperbole surrounding all the romance even dumber to point i that makes me wonder if the people wanting Kumiko and Shuuichi actually want it or just want to see "yurifags" salty.

There are two types of fans out there. Those who actually watch the anime for what it is and then there are those who were in a constant shipping war. The latter are more vocal so it may seem they are the majority but they are not. They are the minority.

I can at least guarantee that Japan took the outcome of the episode being open-minded. The proof is there in the tweets, YT channel and in anikore (Japanese ones, not the English ones). It's a small group of yuri-fans and yuri-haters that are making all the fuss because they had been in a shipping war for more than a year now.

The main focus of the anime was about adolescence, human relations, family-ties, friendship, coming of age and NOT romance after all. Kumiko ending up with anyone is just a partial representation of adolescence and coming of age.

Dec 22, 2016 2:15 AM

Erika___ said:
In kuzu no Honkai, at least ...

Please use spoiler buttons

Thanks no thanks.

And I'm really sorry to read you reduce Hibike! to the yuri issue. This show is so much bigger than that.

Dec 22, 2016 2:23 AM

WORST EPISODE EVER!!!!

Wow....where to begin!

Anti-climactic as fuck!

Some loser ass-face ruining our glorious yuri ship and Reina is still delusional!!

I'm not sure how more fucked up that could've been.

Dec 22, 2016 2:26 AM

Matetrix said:
You yuri shippers are cancer, it was never a thing and was never gonna be a thing.

You know....with all the baiting they did it actually makes MORE sense than what's-his-face X Kumiko....

For fucks sake that motherfucker rarely even got any screen time!

And Reina is simply delusional over Taki...

Dec 22, 2016 2:31 AM
Really great episode. The fist bumping, the confession, the message from Asuka's dad, and the sister scene were all so moving. I do feel a bit disappointed that we didn't get to see the whole song but managing to fit in all the scenes were more impactful.

It did seem like the hairpin had some significance but it was kinda not developed? Anyone can elaborate? Something from the source novel?

Dec 22, 2016 2:44 AM

the ship is sinking welp glad that her sister watch kumiko plays and eventhough they got bronze .. taki sensei is very proud of them and way to go reina

Dec 22, 2016 2:46 AM

yngtadpole said:
It did seem like the hairpin had some significance but it was kinda not developed? Anyone can elaborate? Something from the source novel?

Ysad_Ziwezhan said:
Erika___ said:

And I'm really sorry to read you reduce Hibike! to the yuri issue. This show is so much bigger than that.

For me, while I absolutely adore all the characters in Hibike! Euphonium, I absolutely abhor most of the characters in Kuzu no Honkai (except for probably Moka).

Dec 22, 2016 3:48 AM

Man everytime reina confessed I had to pause the video for the balls she had to confess. And that fist bump lmao. Cute moments throughout, third years rip, cute sister bonding, bye yuri ship

Dec 22, 2016 3:57 AM

shanimebib said:
yngtadpole said:

Ysad_Ziwezhan said:

For me, while I absolutely adore all the characters in Hibike! Euphonium, I absolutely abhor most of the characters in Kuzu no Honkai (except for probably Moka).

I don't know the source material, when I read some comments,
The thing is now I already know the theme, so no surprise anymore for me, I just wish I won't get details spoiled.

By the way, about this episode, I wanted to thank you because now I understand even better why you pointed out Shuuichi speaking with Mamiko when Kumiko was sick. In the end, if one looks at the reconciliation between the sisters as being the main event for Kumiko in this episode, the true Hero, the one who is at the origin of it, it's Shuuichi, and his smile toward the end when she started running after her big sister perfectly embodied this feeling of happiness for someone else. It's just sad that Kumiko doesn't know yet he is that guy. He should take responsibility for this :)
Modified by Ysad_Ziwezhan, Dec 22, 2016 4:22 AM

Dec 22, 2016 4:57 AM
At the prize announcement cut-scene I was like "BRONZE"
and in the end it was revealed that they actually got bronze xD

you know, in most of the cliche animes they would always get gold and everything went smooth and perfect (thereby killing the surprise element)

I love this show

p.s. nah you guys know kumikoxreina will be forever in cannon right?
Modified by HongKongPeople, Dec 22, 2016 5:03 AM

Dec 22, 2016 5:15 AM
This episode is all about confession! xD

Dec 22, 2016 6:49 AM

@shanimebib

Where do you get your inside info?

I also wanna know what kyoani and their partners are up to!

But most of all I wanna hear some more about their Violet Evergarden project, it's time now that they've finished Hibike conclusively.

Dec 22, 2016 7:53 AM

Those of you wishing they got better than a bronze should read this posting at AnimeSuki to see why that is the most realistic outcome: https://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?p=6000634#post6000634

Dec 22, 2016 8:16 AM

Ysad_Ziwezhan said:
Erika___ said:

Please use spoiler buttons

Thanks no thanks.

It's not just about yuri though. I liked the oboe autist arc at the beginning but the conclusion was so stupid, and then the asuka arc bores me to death (even though shes my second best girl) and lastly, I watched hibike for Reina and Season 2 pretty much ruined her character. You enjoyed it but I have every reason to dislike it.

And sorry for that kuzu no honkai spoiler.
Modified by Erika___, Dec 22, 2016 9:20 AM

Dec 22, 2016 9:27 AM

JustALEX said:
WORST EPISODE EVER!!!!

Wow....where to begin!

Anti-climactic as fuck!

Some loser ass-face ruining our glorious yuri ship and Reina is still delusional!!

I'm not sure how more fucked up that could've been.

I couldn't agree more. Just what the hell happened to Reina. She was the reason I watched this anime but I've also come to hate it because of her.

Dec 22, 2016 9:36 AM

Ah Hibike..... One of my best show in this fall will come to an end on next episode
This episode actually is a really strong episode. Although there are no performance (We would've known what pieces they will play though), this episode gives me a really calm vibes. Shuichi and Kumiko conversation in this episode are really flowing nicely and that hairpin as Kumiko's present. Shuichi has been showing us that not often get some screen time, but could still become the best man in this series. He always know what he has to do.

Second half is a really farewell scene for third years. I cries a bit on that scene, and them not getting gold is really a good choice from the writer. It's not a shounen sport after all.

But the best part is when Kumiko chased her sister and tell her that she loves her very much. That's the best scene on this series and Kyoani did very well on that.

It's one episode left, when it's end, I think I will be empty inside. It has been a wonderful series and I am sad that it will end forever. 5/5.

This will be me next week. Left me crying with a smile =)

Dec 22, 2016 9:38 AM

GenesisAria said:
Is there a way to get no awards?

No, as far as I know, which explains why they were so disappointed in the group picture at the end.

Dec 22, 2016 9:54 AM

SeijiSensei said:
Those of you wishing they got better than a bronze should read this posting at AnimeSuki to see why that is the most realistic outcome: https://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?p=6000634#post6000634
realistic =/= good, this is the most anticlimatic finale ever
"win? nah, imposible, unrealistic" is pretty shit route, especially after they show us how hard they practice etc etc. nothing is impossible!
the writer basically just trashed the whole cast with consolation no-award participation prize (bronze) lol

it seems more anime take "realistic lose" route than "winning an impossible battle!" route nowadays that it becomes the new cliche
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)

Dec 22, 2016 10:27 AM

This episode had me tear up a little. And I like the fact they haven't won this year, giving me hope for yet another season.

Dec 22, 2016 10:43 AM

Ysad_Ziwezhan said:
By the way, about this episode, I wanted to thank you because now I understand even better why you pointed out Shuuichi speaking with Mamiko when Kumiko was sick. In the end, if one looks at the reconciliation between the sisters as being the main event for Kumiko in this episode, the true Hero, the one who is at the origin of it, it's Shuuichi, and his smile toward the end when she started running after her big sister perfectly embodied this feeling of happiness for someone else. It's just sad that Kumiko doesn't know yet he is that guy. He should take responsibility for this :)

There's more to his character than how much he got his screen time. I found him one of the most amazing supporting characters in any anime. Kumiko is actually a very lucky girl to have someone like Shuuichi who's in love with her — who is considerate, who is kind, who has conviction, who is mature, who is very observing, who is righteous and who is certainly NOT spineless. I can illustrate each of his qualities that the anime has shown us but I think I will let the "train of thought" continue and die down on its own.

Coming back to the episode: did anyone notice that for the first time we are shown that he was worried before a competition and Kitauji went on to get only a bronze? He was the first person to believe they might improve enough to reach the nationals too, remember?

BlueBalls said:
@shanimebib

Where do you get your inside info?

Perhaps I am Shuuichi himself who has a good information network. :P

BlueBalls said:
I also wanna know what kyoani and their partners are up to!

But most of all I wanna hear some more about their Violet Evergarden project, it's time now that they've finished Hibike conclusively.

Or maybe you wanna know about Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon? I have very high expectations from it because this is a pretty fun manga and for the first time in years we will see another manga adaptation from KyoAni which had become really non-existent for KyoAni. Given how I loved K-On! and Nichijou, I cannot wait!

Also, I want to mention that KyoAni's official yt and twitter have been promoting a light novel full of bishies which they are the proprietor of the IP. It could be their next Free! The chances of adaptation is pretty high because of their recent success with Free! franchise.

willsygle said:
Ah Hibike..... One of my best show in this fall will come to an end on next episode

You tell me about it! It's still the best rated fall anime according to anikore TV anime ratings and overall impression.

Dec 22, 2016 11:59 AM

GenesisAria said:
shanimebib said:
Reina actually confessed! And in public too! And everyone realized that Reina likes Taki-sensei but for him!
Twice too! Thick-skulled men lol.

I was expecting a performance, and left hanging at the eyecatch (i'm sure we all were), but there was other necessary stuff to cover this episode.

SchwingBoner said:
My ship has sailed. Yurifags on suicide watch.
Anyone who knows anything about the series knows that the yuri was a misdirect (and knew it since before S2 started with that hardcore shipping first episode), unfortunately.

Matetrix said:
You yuri shippers are cancer, it was never a thing and was never gonna be a thing.
You people really do like to get your knickers in a twist, don't you? If Shuuichi didn't exist, it WOULD have been yuri; most of the facts supported it and lead up to it, in a very well structured manner too.

Gurush said:
Now if only they would win gold and Kumiko x Reina would happen... something perfect like that couldn't exist i guess. I knew it wouldn't happen but i will ship them nonetheless.
Haha, right? They did it so good too, and it would have shook the foundations by delivering it surprise into a hugely popular series.

Cirris said:
Ouch, Bronze. I guess with the increased competition the judges scoring would be a bit harder. But damn Bronze. That's probably like bottom of the barrel score.
Bronze is 3rd.

It still wouldn't be a thing since Reina only had eyes on Taki and every scene you people interpret as romantic between Kumiko and Reina is just silly girl best friend stuff. There's a lot of that in Japanese media.

Dec 22, 2016 12:04 PM

JustALEX said:
Matetrix said:

You know....with all the baiting they did it actually makes MORE sense than what's-his-face X Kumiko....

For fucks sake that motherfucker rarely even got any screen time!

And Reina is simply delusional over Taki...

I will agree that Shuuichi hasn't had very much screen time and interaction with Kumikoto to warrant anything romantic especially since Kumiko has been so cold toward him almost all the time.
But even if he wasn't there there's nothing romantic in the slightest between Reina and Kumiko. Reina might be delusional but that doesn't change what she feels. Any scene between Kumiko and Reina people interpret as romantic are just cute girl best friend stuff and learning more about each other and becoming even better friends.

Dec 22, 2016 12:20 PM

Shuuichi had only one official stamp in season two and they picked his 'Hidee~"

Had a good laugh!

Dec 22, 2016 12:44 PM

What was this shit? Such a dumb thing to skip the performance in the FINAL episode. Even if they play the same piece why not use it to make the final episode better instead of using it beforehand?
Basically everything went wrong what could have gone wrong. It was mostly a boring episode except those last few bits when they gathered one more time and Kumiko with her big sister.
Also, I'm not a salty Yuri shipper. I think we can all agree that it was evident since some episodes ago that it won't work out in the end so cast that aside. But that random boy, who barely gets any screen time at all basically gets hooked up with Kumiko... I would've understood if the romantic relationships stayed like they were before in the end, but was that really necessary? Not to mention that the endless dragging of Taki x Reina, something which would obviously never work out, was also very questionable.
So to summarize: We went through all that (mostly) melodrama to get such a disapppointing conclusion to the show (not to mention that they ended up with bronze in the competition; totally anti-climatic when they were shown so hard working throughout the series and not called for).
I'm looking forward to the final episode (OVA?). So I can leave this behind and move on.

Dec 22, 2016 1:17 PM

Matetrix said:
GenesisAria said:

It still wouldn't be a thing since Reina only had eyes on Taki and every scene you people interpret as romantic between Kumiko and Reina is just silly girl best friend stuff. There's a lot of that in Japanese media.

But the problem is, that i doubt Reina would actually be able to get with Taki, meaning it would be a big get-over-it plot, and Reina would seek comfort and familiarity in Kumiko (as she loves her too, just not quite as much as she loves Taki)...

Making blanket counter-statements, without following the psychology of what's going on, is rather fruitless.

Sure there's lots of yuri-shipping idiots, but people like myself were actually following what was going on.

Domi said:
What was this shit? Such a dumb thing to skip the performance in the FINAL episode.
It's not the final episode, there's one more.
Modified by GenesisAria, Dec 22, 2016 1:21 PM
❀桜舞う空~        @ping me for anime clarifications.        CosmoGenesis Project

Dec 22, 2016 1:32 PM

GenesisAria said:
Domi said:
What was this shit? Such a dumb thing to skip the performance in the FINAL episode.
It's not the final episode, there's one more.
I heard the true final episode won't contribute to the story anymore which would make sense, because this pretty much concluded everything, albeit in a very questionable way.

Dec 22, 2016 2:26 PM

Overall a really nice episode, I liked the outbursts of emotion and all. But it was a bit weird and disappointing that we didn't get to hear their performance. I mean, I know they have to keep to a certain running time, but this was THE FINAL. I would have thought they'd give it more time. It's sad that they got a bronze, I guess there was a high standard. I was pretty certain they'd only get a silver with the lack of emphasis on practice recently and now the fact that they didn't even show the performance, but I wasn't expecting a bronze. I'm fine with it though. I wonder what they will do with the last episode...

Dec 22, 2016 2:42 PM

I'm glad I no longer care about shipping characters because I feel like I can apreciate the story for what it is: a coming of age.
Also I love how kyoani makes everything so beautifully subtle. That's really the type of anime I like to see from them.
Everything about the relations between characters was amazing and, well I feel that all I wanna say was already said here so I'll leave at that.
I don't have many expectations from Maid Dragon, but who knows, maybe it will surprise me.
Baby, daijobanai...

Dec 22, 2016 2:47 PM
I haven't seen this much crying over an anime romance since Hinata snagged Naruto and all the SakuraxNaruto fans wept tears of blood. They teased yuri and all the yuri fans jumped all over that.

Dec 22, 2016 4:19 PM
The performance wasn't shown because it had been shown already in a previous episode.

I don't think we'll get any real new material from the next episode, it will probably be filler-like, unless it becomes an anime-original ending.

As expected they went with the no-romance route with Kumiko. It was hinted by the fact that they kept Reina's feelings for Taki, and that they played down Kumiko and Shuuichi as much as they could. No ship for any of you, ha!

Overall not that engrossing of a series, the first one felt somewhat more interesting.

Dec 22, 2016 5:16 PM

Would the final episode feature the third year's graduation? Just curious :D

Dec 22, 2016 6:20 PM

Yurifags on suicide watch.

I'm happy that Asuka's dad acknowledged her.

Dec 22, 2016 6:32 PM

I really enjoyed this episode and I have to say I feel sad that they won bronze for the competition. There were some good points I enjoyed in the episode. I didn't expect Shuichi to give his present to Kumiko which I was thought was really cute and sweet of him. I almost did not notice that she had the exact same flower on her music sheet stand either.

Anyway, I had a feeling they were not going to show the performance cause of we might have an idea what they might have been playing so I can understand that might have been disappointing. The confession that Reina made during the concert hall really surprised me there as she didn't hold back from her feelings. I was so happy and yet so sad at the same time that he thought it was only for support which I guess it's not too bad. Asuka's speech was really fantastic as she was motivating the first and second-years to win gold next year and I thought it was heart-warming that she made that effort to cheer them up. I was also relieved to hear when Taki-sensei mentioned about Asuka's father about how well she's done with the euphonium and that he was glad she had continued with it. I was so happy for her. :)

But the last scene gave me way to tears when Kumiko had finally met with her sister, Mamiko, about everything that her older sister had done for her all of those years practicing on the euphonium. Even when she told that she loves her sister so much and the reply that came back tugged my heartstrings. KyoAni really knows how to deliver those moments and the location of the scene made it even more dramatic too.

I have been enjoying this season since S1 so for it to come to an end is really something else. I hope that the last episode will be just as good and I'm really looking forward to it! :3

Dec 22, 2016 6:39 PM

The_Speedster said:
I didn't expect Shuichi to give his present to Kumiko which I was thought was really cute and sweet of him. I almost did not notice that she had the exact same flower on her music sheet stand either.

It wasn't a flower on her music sheet stand. It was the same hairpin that Shuuichi gave her. :)

Dec 22, 2016 7:57 PM

shanimebib said:
The_Speedster said:
I didn't expect Shuichi to give his present to Kumiko which I was thought was really cute and sweet of him. I almost did not notice that she had the exact same flower on her music sheet stand either.

It wasn't a flower on her music sheet stand. It was the same hairpin that Shuuichi gave her. :)

Yeah. I just realized that now. Sorry about that. It was a really nice hairpin.

Dec 22, 2016 8:44 PM
shanimebib said:

Shuuichi had only one official stamp in season two and they picked his 'Hidee~"

Had a good laugh!
Me too, ha ha.

True to form, the boy made his entrance this episode with an off screen insult. The same way he was introduced at the very start of the show. Not as banter but unapologetically, in all earnestness as his way of saying hi there, Kumiko.

An important screeny, wordy of a stamp.

Shuuichi revealed as the one creeping up on Kumiko from behind. At night in a deserted building this time. Shown while wearing his usual petulant scowl when his mug finally gets the screen time we were mercifully spared most of the series. Peeved she doesn’t seem pleased to see him. Don’t believe her Shuuichi! She’s secretly tickled pink at the prospect of spending the night with you. How could she not be? Expecting change in his demeanour seems less realistic.

Yoroizuka has done the same to Kumiko during Kansai practice camp so sneaking up on people has been diffused as an argument against poor misunderstood Shuuichi. Kumiko herself has done a lot of stalking around. It is all equal.

Of course, what he said, was also just a mild insult. The sort of insult that other audience members will accuse you of getting too serious about. The kind of insult that will get you a response like ”you still hung up on that? Get over yourself” should the person addressed in this manner complain about it a little later herself.

That’s what happens to Kumiko in that first episode of the first season.
“You called me ugly in front of everyone and told me to stop talking to you.”
“Look babe, you have to see that from my pov, I was with the fellas and you suddenly asked me to dinner. Can’t you see that you embarrassed me? If anything, you owe me an apology…”

If I’m biased it is because of moments like those. Paraphrased a little. Right off the bat I don’t like him and his creeping up from behind, casting shadows, smugly looking down on her, approach. And yes it was quite clear from that moment that they were well acquainted. How mean of her not to be pleased as punch at the sight of him.

In Shuuichi’s case, it is suggested, change is not required. It was never about what Kumiko wants. She doesn’t even have to accept his point of view but he’ll let her know anyway while he ignores her objections, declines her perspective as valid. Unless interrupted. In company he knows when to back off. Don’t expect a sincere apology from him but Kumiko needs to be lectured repeatedly about her unpleasant personality. How many ways has it been been made clear she should be apologising to him?

This is the moment on which that is based. The moment that galvanised my dislike for him. There really was no coming back after this, from, S1,E8:
K: “I didn’t signal you to follow me out”
S: “Of course you did”
K: “No, I didn’t”
S: “Yes, you did, everyone would think so, It’s common sense to assume the way I did… Well whatever, I’m not going to concede and what I wanted to say is more important than your insistence that I could possibly be wrong when I read your mind, so anyway shut up and listen ….”
Paraphrased. Sound familiar?

So what is the correct interpretation of what followed?
Not: “ah good someone is coming out so I can get away from this guy.”
Not: “ah good he’s leaving. It worked. Squeeze. Thanks for being there for me.”
Not: “When did he turn into someone who would corner me like that and wouldn’t even accept my explanation that he had truly misunderstood the situation …”
Reina not the rescuer and permanent escape from the shoe locker onward but henceforth an obstacle to overcome by the rightful suitor.

Of course not, by that point, episode eight we’ve already been informed that Kumiko can’t be trusted with her behaviour. Though she really did not signal him to follow her out her credibility on such matters has already been undermined by being aware of Hazuki’s feelings and intentions. Furthermore "He’s a nice boy" he wouldn't do something like that. Hazuki fell in love with him and Kumiko’s mother has welcomed him into their house since he was a little lad. How could he not be the sweetie who deserves the girl he wants? She’s practically been imprinted at birth to accept his presence in her home.

Now he is tall and handsome and he no longer calls her ugly to her face in front of gatherings of friends. He now calls her movement a little weird in almost privacy. What a cutie. Who wouldn’t want a friend like that?. Ooops lover, sorry, sorry, lover. No means yes. Just a matter of time before it is confirmed.

She has said she wanted him as a friend the entire series and this is a series about friendship so we couldn’t possibly leave it at that. Right? Not that kind of friendship. Misunderstood intent. That was in season one when his insults were actually mean and she still was quite right to point out he hurt her. Before long he might even muster the courage to address her without calling her any names. Anata…

Learning to accept his little insults and getting on with her life will probably be called Kumiko’s maturing. Look how far she has come! She barely even acknowledges her displeasure. She’s still too mean for his liking though. Stamp of approval withheld. He'll need to work on her a bit more. What was his arc? How, if at all, did his personality change? His crude remarks are getting cuter. Props to the prince. He still seems a little annoyed that she doesn’t throw herself into his warm embrace upon sighting him.

Oh, right, and the sisters reconciled. They couldn’t possibly have done that without him. Major props. Inviting one fighting sister to the performance of the other without the performer’s prior consent could not possibly have backfired. That’s what Asuka’s misunderstanding during the Mizore arc already settled. Had Kumiko thrown a tantrum at the nationals when spotting Mamiko before the show that would have been another display of her horrible character. We’re past that phase though. This is season two. The almost finale.

He understands those sisters better than they do themselves. His mind reading was proven spot on right after she made it clear it was none of his business - by giving the impression she had no desire to discuss the matter with him after her mother’s little indiscretion to what is probably her best female friend. Shuuichi inviting Mamiko without consulting Kumiko could not possibly have been the wrong move. How could she not want her sister there?

Still the meddlesome boy. Foisted on her by their mothers. The neighbour from whom Kumiko couldn’t get away even if she wanted to. Familiarity. Yes, absolutely but that was already obvious on that bench by the river in episode 1.

If she doesn’t date him she might date a total stranger.
Too scary.
Think of her poor dad. Hasn’t his eldest daughter made him suffer enough?
Not seeing that development, not seeing that this was meant to be is, what was the phrase again? “Almost criminal”.
“He hurt her, how could she not love him” How could you not see that she does. Has all along. Despite her protestations.
Minor injury. Mere words.
Move in Shuuichi. The sooner the better.
Anything else?

Issue the stamps with a face not rarely reserved for royalty. The one missing from the collection so far.
In Japan they no longer want princesses to succeed.
They'll gladly take credit for the unique literary achievements of their ladies in waiting. You can have a cast of 90% women and suitable candidates but ultimately it is all about the prince.
Not that kind of series though. Out of focus to think it is.

Did you get what you wanted?

I’ll shut up now before I get accused again of belabouring a point without conceding and becoming my own worst nightmare.

Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »