Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
KATANAGATARI
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Aug 21, 2010 2:29 PM

Mar 2008
This show is a gem.

Love the dialogue, love the action, love the characters etc, love everything about it.
Aug 22, 2010 3:02 AM

Jan 2010
I liked this episode than the first one. LOL at Shichika jumping at Togame's face
Oct 22, 2010 1:42 AM

Feb 2010
better than the first forsure... a lot of dialogue and I felt myself being "okayyy we get it" at one point, but I am starting to get used to it. LOVED the back-story about their opponent and I enjoy their chemistry.....

very good.
Dec 30, 2010 2:47 AM

Jan 2009
Seriously lovin this series right now.
The babble between the two leads is sooo funny!

Jan 9, 2011 3:31 PM

Nov 2008
I don't care too much about the fact that they talk a lot, because I find it interesting, even though a whole lot of people seem to complain about it, but w/e. The episode was interesting and I love how Shichika raps Togame's hair around him, its so damn cute.
I am a sucker for romance!!!!
]

Feb 6, 2011 7:25 PM
Nov 2010
I liked this episode a lot the whole backstory for Uneri. Still a lot of talking but it was interesting.
Feb 17, 2011 8:09 PM

Aug 2010
I loved this episode. Especially the scenes where there are lots of dialog.
Apr 7, 2011 2:14 AM

Sep 2010
Really nice episode. Even with all the dialogue, I still liked the episode.
Jan 13, 2012 9:49 PM

Aug 2010
I'm liking it, a lot.
Jul 20, 2012 5:31 AM

Mar 2012
Cherio!

Love the way he is looking at her while being beaten. "What was that?"
Aug 22, 2012 9:18 AM

May 2010
viral_hun said:
If you want more action and less talking, watch One Piece, Naruto, Bleach or any other shounen-fight series. Katanagatari is fine as it is.

The problem is that we don't want it to become like a shonen fight series. They are notorious for talking too much in the middle of a fight, and this series is doing the same thing. I loved the conversation in the desert, but when the swords come out, it's not exactly a realistic time to be rambling on and on at each other.

I do like this series a lot though, the timing of the dialogue is just a nitpick for me.
“Money can't buy dere”
Sep 2, 2012 8:15 AM

Jan 2012
It reminds me of Lucky Star or bakemonogatari where almost the entire episode revolves around talking and talking and talking. : ( And the talking would be great.. If there was a point to it all... but it has little to nothing to do with anything and iss supposed to be funny, which if it was I would be cool with too, but it doesn't even get a chuckel out of me. Not sure if I have the will power to complet this series.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 9, 2012 9:19 AM

May 2012
Quite a nice episode with a great opponent this time! Was quite funny as well and just had a nice ending! Up to the next episode!
Jan 2, 2013 7:38 PM

Jun 2008
Seriously, like 10 minutes about catchphrases? The fights also ends way too quickly with a single move. And most of it was having conversation during the fights.

Speaking of randomness... it did remind of the pointless dialogue in Bakemonogatari and Medaka Box. Then I realized it was that same guy.

Well, I can tolerate it for now. But it looks like a formula for the next 10 episodes as well... Random conversation, introduce enemy, more conversation, and like 1 minute of action. At least I like the guy.

Then again, it seems I've always like male characters written by Isin.
Jan 23, 2013 8:40 PM

Nov 2011
I decided to give this series another shot after having it being on-hold for ages. I'm glad I did.

Pretty good episode especially the dialogues. Dat hair and cheerio! Nice. That Zantou looks like a pretty badass sword. Well, not too badass since it was blocked this episode and later on evaded. The fight was pretty epic though. 5/5. Glad I'm giving this series another shot.
Mar 19, 2013 10:42 AM
Apr 2012
viral_hun said:
If you want more action and less talking, watch One Piece, Naruto, Bleach or any other shounen-fight series. Katanagatari is fine as it is.

The problem isn't that there is too much dialogue, it is that there is too much uninteresting stuff being said in a 50 minute episode. I really enjoyed the monogatari series, for example, but i doubt I'll enjoy this nearly as much as the dialogue isn't nearly as interesting.
That being said, I enjoyed this episode more than the previous one mainly because the enemy was much more interesting and the little bit of action was better as well. 4/5
Apr 3, 2013 1:42 PM

Sep 2011
HawthorneKitty said:
Gyafun>Cheerio
imo
Agreed.

One month that quickly? Oh well, it's acceptable I guess.
Togame's way of making Shichika remember her is a bit weird, but pretty funny. I didn't expect her to let him lick her though :D I really hope their relationship will get more serious :)
Shichika using Togame as a wall was pretty wrong, but also funny :D
I didn't like however that they didn't explain why the guy couldn't draw his sword upwards. Maybe I'm missing something here.
Apr 30, 2013 11:12 AM
Aug 2011
Ouch I cringed at this being compared to Lucky Star.

Shichika sniffing Togame's hair. Like I said he amuses me greatly.

viral_hun said:
If you want more action and less talking, watch One Piece, Naruto, Bleach or any other shounen-fight series.

uhmm WHAT?
Bleach is like: talk, fight, talk, talk, talk for 4 more episodes while floating in the air, fight some more, enemy is about to die but still keeps on talking.
May 26, 2013 2:43 PM

Jan 2013
Great episode again.
Jun 25, 2013 8:42 AM

Nov 2012
hmm.. this episode is quite interesting :3
togame is so cute in this episode :3

and yes.. it has a good ending.. :3 that was a beautiful last word.. :'D
Aug 5, 2013 11:30 PM
Jul 2013
I love how Togame pointed out how weak of a character Shichika is, personality-wise. I was bothered about watching too because of his personality.
Aug 25, 2013 1:32 PM
Feb 2013
viral_hun said:

Exactly...

Anyway, this episode was great!!!
Art, story...everything!

5/5
Aug 26, 2013 5:06 AM
May 2012
A lot of talking but I still enjoyed it Togame is cute I guess it's gonna be 1 sword per episode.
Nov 5, 2013 11:44 PM

Jul 2013
The japanese style rap playing as BGM was really weird but interesting indeed. Sort of sad, Ginkaku's nation slowly getting depleted by the desert. And the last and only thing he had left to protect was the blade :(

Still that finishing move... Did Shichika kick him so hard that he literally bursted into little pieces 0.o
Dec 28, 2013 12:11 AM

Aug 2012
lol i really loved Shichika's reaction after Togame said that he has weak personality.

and still waiting patiently for a 3rd season of Spice & Wolf :'|
Dec 31, 2013 1:17 PM

Aug 2013
I really liked this episode because the master of unsheathing have always amazed me.

It was funny how he was about to kill these two robbers at the beginning like it was nothing.

That ninja failed so hard, but he was annoying me so I'm glad.

Poor Tomage, serving as a support for his ultimate technique, she really have no utility xD
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Feb 7, 2014 10:53 PM

Sep 2013
I'm not sure if I understand why Ginkaku couldn't attack upwards?
May 19, 2014 10:19 AM

Oct 2013
Anyone remember Iainuki from Ogre Battles on the Snes ?
Jul 24, 2014 9:31 AM

Dec 2013
This episode was even better.Uneri was an interesting guy. I'd never expect I will watch a 50 minutes-long episode without a moment of boredom. Great series. I like the dialogues between the main characters.
Aug 13, 2014 6:11 PM

Oct 2012
This was a better episode than the first. Dialogue got a little tiring again, but the ending was nice.

Oct 8, 2014 4:13 AM

Nov 2011
Huge_Ego said:
I'm not sure if I understand why Ginkaku couldn't attack upwards?

It would be easier to understand if you've ever had to unsheathe a sword. The angle you have to pull it out at makes it difficult to aim far up or down while in the motion of unsheathing, and since he was close to the ground, the ceiling was his blind spot.

Anyway, the show's comedy was pretty good as usual, mostly thanks to Shichika's social/moral ineptitude. He still doesn't come across as stupid, merely ignorant, which I like. He's made several observations that show he isn't an idiot.

The fight was pretty interesting, and it showcased a good bit of tactics. Shichika delivered his catchphrase perfectly, too. I get the feeling the "final words" bit might be foreshadowing, though.

The only part of the dialogue that seemed to drag was the bit concerning the catchphrase in relation to Shichika's character and Togmai's reports. The fourth wall humor can be fun, but it grows stale fast in my case. Hopefully that part won't be expanded in later episodes.

And lastly, I this show has revealed something to me: I love dialogue. So long as it's executed well, I'm perfectly content to listen to a verbal wall of text. Even if this anime ends up being formulaic, I'll likely enjoy it for the dialogue, the (hopefully) interesting battles, and the character dynamic between Shichika and Togami.
Nov 15, 2014 10:01 PM
Jun 2013
I would have liked to see a longer fight scene since the episode is a whole 50min, but it was pretty good. There was a lot of improvement from the first episode. Still a lot of dialogue which isn't the end of the world, but it makes me lose a bit of interest for a few minutes. Good sprinkling of jokes too. Some of the comedy wasn't that funny to me but it was still nice to see.
Dec 8, 2014 12:28 PM

Feb 2014
This is really not for me, shame I had hopes for it
Dec 13, 2014 8:58 AM

Aug 2013
Okay.. Togame is definitely one of my favorite characters now.
Togame is so cute.. and that kick onto the face... lol'ed so hard at that !!
That 'gyafun' or that 'cheerio'.. oh my god they are testing my endurance here.
I can't help but love it when she gets mad or embarrassed.. simply irresistible !!!
Sure she can be little annoying but its still in control.. I've seen much worse.
The humors really got me.. the characters really shines in this part.
I like the dialogs and don't find them troublesome in any way.
It's unique with its own style.. hope it continues like this.
Dec 26, 2014 11:06 AM

Aug 2014
I was a little worried with the arrival of Shirasagi because i don't why would they add a guy with such an annoying speech pattern in a already dialogue heavy show,
thank god he was taken out quick.

This episode was way more enjoyable than the previous one for me, still some unnecessary dialogue but i found the dynamic between Togane and Shichika both interesting and funny.
Jan 1, 2015 11:22 PM

Jun 2014
I love how they make all the characters interesting. Even if they are only around for a moment or two. Especially the "boss of the week"
And i love the interactions of the main characters
Be sure to message me if you quoted me and want me to respond! Just give me a link to the forum, because usually I leave my comment, then leave the forum.
Mar 8, 2015 7:00 AM

May 2013
I'm really beginning to like this series after being skeptical at first. Also thank goodness that backwards talking guy was killed early. Couldn't take much more of that reading backwards lol
Fuck it. Every signature I upload ends up removed anyways.
May 11, 2015 9:16 PM

Oct 2012
CHEERIO!!!!!
Jun 3, 2015 10:50 PM

Dec 2013
Ok episode. Actually preferred the first episode. Some of the dialogue I found interested some of it was boring. Although this villain was more interesting than the last.

Didn't actually realise just how much of a height difference there is between the two 0.0
Jun 4, 2015 5:53 AM

Jan 2013
Ginkaku had more character in this 1 episode than some MC's have in an entire show.
Great episode though, I was actually surprised by Togame and Shichika's height difference ^^
Oct 29, 2015 7:15 PM

Feb 2013
Yeah, this show seems to be pretty dialogue heavy. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it does tend to get boring at times. Especially when they have a 5+ min conversation about catchphrases...

I really enjoyed the the swordsman though, he was a much more interesting enemy then last weeks. Also I'm really glad that ninja got killed off so fast, reading his dialogue backwards was really annoying lol.
Shape430Oct 29, 2015 7:18 PM
Dec 6, 2015 12:37 PM
Jul 2018
Once again another episode that I really liked but everybody hated. I don't mind the dialogue at all (but again, I like Monogatari a lot). The fight was great too, with the strategy and all.
Dec 14, 2015 8:20 PM

Jul 2014
Holy shit, that was badass.

So far, this show has everything that I was hoping for, and more!

5/5
Feb 9, 2016 12:08 AM

Jan 2010

It was like this anime was based off a light novel or something.

Togame going on about writing Shichika interesting felt like Nisio arguing with himself, trying to keep Shichika true to his character while struggling with his more colorful villains. Though, I felt that was being meta just to be meta. It eventually came back around when they were talking about catchphrases, which then played into the bit at the end regarding final words.

While the first episode was an introductory one, this was akin to a character establishing episode for Togame and Shichika, where they'd parrot off their gimmicks in a tongue-in-cheek manner. I enjoyed the word play as usual, and I certainly enjoy their interactions, though they still feel like literary tools rather than fleshed out characters. As in, they're voicing and discussing how characters in their roles should act, and while it's a pleasure to watch, it makes Shichika and Togame less as characters and more of the mediums for Nisio to speak through.

That doesn't undermine the show's strengths though. Sans my nitpicks, I'm greatly enjoying how things are discussed and talked about, as the characters in Katanagatari live and breathe wordplay. The characters make use of their dialogue to further an discussed idea, take action based on that dialogue, or make efforts to improve themselves based on what was discussed. The preceding events then build off of the previous talk, and it just goes on. I haven't seen any dead end pieces of dialogue, and despite how eclectic everything initially felt, this episode felt complete, giving just enough to make me want to watch the next episode.

Until March 8th I guess.
May 11, 2016 2:24 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Boy was I glad when the ninja speaking in reverse died rather quickly. Don't know if I could have handled any more than the few lines he spoke.

As for the dialogue, it was better this episode, the pacing of the lines didn't feel as fast as the first episode...although it did drag out more too. I understood the fourth wall humor (as the term TripleS used) when they were talking about Shichika being a weak character as well as the catchphrases, but wow that sure lasted longer than it needed to have. The wittiness in the dialogue is there, although I don't think everyone can appreciate this style. I'm still mixed about it for sure. I don't dislike dialogue, I like people talking to each other, it's just the content that I find to be interesting only half of the time.

The antagonist this time was much better here though. I'm not fond of villain-y type characters, so Ginkaku felt less two-dimensional than Koumori. I'm still really enjoying the art style as well, and I liked the directing in the fights.

Also, if Togame really keeps that catchphrase of hers, ugh. Cheerio is by far the most random catchphrase ever. I don't think I've ever been bothered by a catchphrase either (okay maybe the -desu~).
Jun 7, 2016 2:36 AM

Mar 2014
I still don't understand how he couldn't iai upwards.
Jul 4, 2016 8:56 AM

Jan 2016
He made up that bullshit about "people with something to protect are strong" just so she could stand behind him and he could use her face as a launchpad. This MC is the fucking best LOL

Also that backward talking almost gave me a headache. The subbers must have cursed the character to hell for this... It's a really cool concept though. I'm relieved that he was only used to get killed
Jul 8, 2016 1:42 PM

Nov 2012
RIP Uneri. He was a cool guy who didn't deserve to be killed.
Aug 4, 2016 5:54 PM

Aug 2014
Shichika is improving and using his brain in the fights lol, the episode was nice with cute moments as well as some epic stuff towards the end.
Its getting more interesting each episode.

Great Episode, loving Togame.
Sep 2, 2016 3:19 PM

Mar 2015
I like the blossoming relationship between Shichika and Togame.
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» END SPOILERS - I’ve Never Witnessed Such Epic Implosion

deaf_amish_guy - Jun 6, 2020

10 by Nesquikscope »»
Mar 31, 1:16 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Dec 10, 2010

631 by I_LIKE_ANIME_SO »»
Jan 3, 9:06 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Hana-kei - Apr 16, 2010

419 by watsym »»
Aug 13, 2023 10:05 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Jan 25, 2010

333 by Dumb »»
Jul 30, 2023 5:55 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

bautrey37 - May 23, 2010

163 by Aldones »»
Feb 18, 2023 7:00 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.